PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Is there anybody worse on biking and running trails?

keg in kc
05-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Than mothers and their ****ing kids?

Maybe it's just here in sunny overland park, but I shit you not, no matter how defensively you ride, they're a ****ing plague on anybody unlucky enough to encounter them on the trail. Either they have no ****ing clue about what's going on around them, or they just plain don't care about anybody but themselves and their brood. And strollers! Christ, they think they own the place. And half the time they come in packs. Like a shimmering wave of estrogen shutting down the trail for everybody else. God help you if you tell them you're coming up behind them. Oh man, the dirty looks you get when they have to move a few inches so you can navigate on the sheer left edge of the pavement. That's assuming they move at all, which they don't half the time. And it doesn't matter what age they are, either. 20 or 50, it's always the same damn thing. Absolutely no care for anybody but themselves and their spawn.

Yes, I just took my second spill thanks to some idiot family who shouldn't be out on bikes. It's an 8 foot trail family McAsshole. That doesn't mean 8 feet for you and the shoulder for me. Definitely not when there's mud everywhere and I'm going 15 miles an hour. Think of it like it's a road and you're in a car. Drive down the right side. Not down the middle. Not on my half. Tell little Jimmy and Jenny McAsshole that the idea from now on is to stay as far out of the right as you can, because there are other people on the trail. It's called "sharing" and "courtesy". I know those are hard concepts to grasp in today's day and age. But it's not your trail, kids. You need to look out for other people, just like you want them to look out for you.

I'm fine. My bike unfortunately is not. So I'm really pissed right now. It looks like my cycling days are over, at least for while, until I have the means to get the thing fixed. Which probably isn't going to be until at least July.

I guess I'm a runner now.

Hopefully I don't get run over by a pack of strollers.

Donger
05-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Yeah, that sucks. I always say, "On your left" when passing, although I've had a few kids looks over their left shoulder and go left (of course). My last two crashes were because of this. The trail that I ride actually painted on a center line, which seems to help a little.

Sorry for your damaged bike.

Bugeater
05-12-2012, 07:18 PM
That's why I prefer rural trails, ain't nobody around but myself. Suburban trails are suicide on weekends.

Bugeater
05-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Did you give the McAsshole family a piece of your mind?

Chief Roundup
05-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Old people and overweight individuals that are about to fall out.

Bearcat
05-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Either they have no ****ing clue about what's going on around them, or they just plain don't care about anybody but themselves and their brood.

That's most people all the time.

Chief Roundup
05-12-2012, 07:21 PM
You could get an Ooga horn. That ought to get their attention. LOL

KurtCobain
05-12-2012, 07:24 PM
That's a bummer, dude. You'd think eight feet sounds like way enough space to keep your kids in check.

Kyle DeLexus
05-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Yeah, that sucks. I always say, "On your left" when passing, although I've had a few kids looks over their left shoulder and go left (of course). My last two crashes were because of this. The trail that I ride actually painted on a center line, which seems to help a little.

Sorry for your damaged bike.

for some reason this is how I picture you on a bike.

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/british_man_vintage_bicycle_museum_1.jpg

chiefs2012
05-12-2012, 07:26 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_h2VYVaxZXxo/Sjx9mDNMUBI/AAAAAAAABNQ/q5EGsqr2FBM/s400/oldlady.jpg

keg in kc
05-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Yeah, that sucks. I always say, "On your left" when passing, although I've had a few kids looks over their left shoulder and go left (of course). My last two crashes were because of this. The trail that I ride actually painted on a center line, which seems to help a little.Yeah, I do the same thing, 'on your left'. I've learned to expect some to go right and some to not move at all. I really like the runners who acknowledge you with a wave. But most of the time I'm not even sure the people have heard me, because so many of us (myself included) have headphones on. Gotta ride defensively all the time.

This is a pretty rural trail, for being in suburbia. I usually don't see more than twenty people total in a twenty mile ride. Today's thing happened literally less than a mile from home; I'd only been riding about 2.5 minutes. Which I'm thankful for, because I don't know if the bike would've made it much further. Honestly not sure how I didn't get hurt, aside from a couple of scrapes. I will say this is the one that convinced me wearing a helmet is the right thing to do, because I went headfirst into the ground. If I hadn't been wearing one, I might be getting up about right about now wondering what just happened.

keg in kc
05-12-2012, 07:28 PM
That's most people all the time.You'd be surprised, I think. People are usually pretty cool on the trail I ride on. Lots of waving and 'hi's and warning that bikes are coming. Even the guys riding breakneck speed on their road bikes in their little cycling outfits seem to be pretty good about it. I kid you not, the thing I fear the most on a trail these days is a stroller.

Donger
05-12-2012, 07:30 PM
for some reason this is how I picture you on a bike.

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/british_man_vintage_bicycle_museum_1.jpg

LMAO

Not quite.

Donger
05-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Yeah, I do the same thing, 'on your left'. I've learned to expect some to go right and some to not move at all. I really like the runners who acknowledge you with a wave. But most of the time I'm not even sure the people have heard me, because so many of us (myself included) have headphones on. Gotta ride defensively all the time.

This is a pretty rural trail, for being in suburbia. I usually don't see more than twenty people total in a twenty mile ride. Today's thing happened literally less than a mile from home; I'd only been riding about 2.5 minutes. Which I'm thankful for, because I don't know if the bike would've made it much further. Honestly not sure how I didn't get hurt, aside from a couple of scrapes. I will say this is the one that convinced me wearing a helmet is the right thing to do, because I went headfirst into the ground. If I hadn't been wearing one, I might be getting up about right about now wondering what just happened.

I've never been comfortable with wearing headphones or listening to music when I ride, even on trails. I don't get passed very often, but I like to be able to hear the "on your left" when I do.

What's damaged on the bike? Road bike, I presume? Oh, and kudos for wearing helmet. I never used to, until the wife threatened to cut off my balls unless I did. The last tumble I took would have given me a good head thumping if I hadn't been wearing one.

ghak99
05-12-2012, 07:33 PM
I guess I'm a runner now.

I'd keep wearing the helmet and remember her face... You never know when you'll get the perfect opportunity to lower the shoulder and stack her up into a neat little pile on the side of the trail. Don't forget to drop the "remember me bitch" while you're stand over the mangled mess.

Bugeater
05-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Mind if I ask what trail you were riding keg? Just curious because I'm heading down to KC next week to do some riding.

keg in kc
05-12-2012, 07:43 PM
I've never been comfortable with wearing headphones or listening to music when I ride, even on trails. I don't get passed very often, but I like to be able to hear the "on your left" when I do.I listen to audiobooks, and I keep the volume down, so I can hear people around me.What's damaged on the bike? Road bike, I presume? It's a hybrid, or a crossover, however you want to classify it. 26x1.95 tires, so not a true mountain, although bigger obviously than road bikes. I wanted something good on paved trails but able to handle offroad when I need it thanks to some oblivious individual.

I've got a really (really, really) bad wobble with the front wheel. I'm going to take a closer look at it tomorrow and hopefully it's not as bad as I think it is. But it doesn't strike me as something I can take care of myself.

Easy 6
05-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Exactly one of the reasons why i will never live in a real city.

Congested roads, bike trails, and anywhere else you go.

keg in kc
05-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Mind if I ask what trail you were riding keg? Just curious because I'm heading down to KC next week to do some riding.Indian Creek trail, I start at the corner of Quivira and 119th Street.

I also ride somewhat regularly on Tomahawk Creek trail, from 119th and Roe all the way into Missouri, as it's close to work.

RealSNR
05-12-2012, 07:50 PM
You should buy a pit bull and teach it to run alongside you when you bike. As soon as you see McAssholes clogging up your way, you just have to say, "Go get'em boy!" It's like using a rocket launcher to take care of traffic problems. Works great.

05-12-2012, 07:50 PM
I announced myself to a walker once and since she had her earphones on she didn't hear me and proceeded to turn right into me as I passed. I managed to keep my bike upright but was amazed she wasn't injured.

I think she was just happy I took the time to stop and check on her without getting angry at her.

Rain Man
05-12-2012, 07:51 PM
We don't have many kids in my area, so I don't really have the family problem or the stroller problem. I apologize for making a remark that might be considered sexist, but the biggest problem in my area is when you have multiple women walking together on the trail. They inevitably walk side by side because they're talking, and that's fine, but when someone's coming at them THEY WON'T FRICKIN' MOVE OVER! They take the entire width of the trail and for some reason just expect that every runner or biker will veer off onto the shoulder so that they don't miss a word of their riveting discussion about last night's episode of Private Practice. I'll resignedly squeeze through, but as time goes on I'm getting closer and closer to the end person who's not giving me any space and waiting longer and longer before I make an effort to dodge. At some point I'm going to have a bad day and just not dodge at all, because I honestly think they won't make any effort to avoid a collision, and I'm usually (not always) the bigger one.

jspchief
05-12-2012, 07:52 PM
You should get brakes. Then you could slow down for idiots instead of looking like one by crashing.

Al Bundy
Yeah, I do the same thing, 'on your left'. I've learned to expect some to go right and some to not move at all. I really like the runners who acknowledge you with a wave. But most of the time I'm not even sure the people have heard me, because so many of us (myself included) have headphones on. Gotta ride defensively all the time.

I ride 2 sets of trails. One is the ones that go along and around Roe park down around 103rd and the other one is behind troost around the 118th street area along the little blue from Blue Ridge to Red Bridge.

Infidel Goat
The early Happy Mother's Day thread. I love it!

keg in kc
05-12-2012, 07:53 PM
I think she was just happy I took the time to stop and check on her without getting angry at her.That's probably what has me set off about strollers. Besides my own ample experiences with them over the last year, somebody I ride with occasionally had a bad wreck a while back thanks to one, and apparently the woman pushing it didn't even stop to check on him. And when I say bad wreck, I'm talking no helmet headfirst into rocks. He was knocked out for an indeterminate period of time. No sign of the stroller at all when he came to.

I don't understand how anybody could do that....

Bugeater
05-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Indian Creek trail, I start at the corner of Quivira and 119th Street.

I also ride somewhat regularly on Tomahawk Creek trail, from 119th and Roe all the way into Missouri, as it's close to work.
Heh, that's the one I was targeting for my afternoon ride. I'll have to watch out for the McAsshole family.

I could bring you down the front wheel from my parts bike if you want to get back in the saddle sooner. I don't want anything for it either.

keg in kc
05-12-2012, 07:56 PM
You should get brakes. Then you could slow down for idiots instead of looking like one by crashing.I know you're just being snarky, but brakes doesn't do a whole lot of good when you're forced into mud. I certainly did try to brake. And I almost managed to stay up. Almost. I'd have been fine if they hadn't been riding on my half of the trail. Once I hit the slick part it was over.

Al Bundy
05-12-2012, 07:57 PM

That is the one I ride the most. There are some serious assholes on that one. A lot of Leawood house wife bitches that won't move even when I yell "I'm coming up on the left".

keg in kc
05-12-2012, 07:58 PM
That is the one I ride the most. There are some serious assholes on that one. A lot of Leawood house wife bitches that won't move even when I yell "I'm coming up on the left".Yeah, that trail is much more of a problem (ie much more crowded) than the one I was on today.

Ah well, I better go run before it gets any later.

Bugeater
05-12-2012, 07:58 PM
I ride 2 sets of trails. One is the ones that go along and around Roe park down around 103rd and the other one is behind troost around the 118th street area along the little blue from Blue Ridge to Red Bridge.
Blue River Parkway Trail? That's the other one I was planning on riding.

05-12-2012, 07:59 PM
I know you're just being snarky, but brakes doesn't do a whole lot of good when you're forced into mud. I certainly did try to brake. And I almost managed to stay up. Almost. I'd have been fine if they hadn't been riding on my half of the trail. Once I hit the slick part it was over.

I second this. My bike has 100psi road running tires and would be worthless in the mud.

keg in kc
05-12-2012, 08:01 PM
I ride 2 sets of trails. One is the ones that go along and around Roe park down around 103rd and the other one is behind troost around the 118th street area along the little blue from Blue Ridge to Red Bridge.I think I may ride the one around Roe park, if it's the one that connects to the end of the Tomahawk Creek trail. Part of Tomahawk Creek trail is I think closed right now, although I haven't been over there in the last week or so, so I can't actually get to the park right now.

The Tomahawk Creek and Indian Creek trails actually connect, I can ride all the way from home to work on them (about 12.5 miles), except for the fact that they're building two bridges this year and the trails closed on my end until they're done. Hopefully it'll be finished by summer so I can start riding to work instead of driving.

jspchief
05-12-2012, 08:06 PM
I second this. My bike has 100psi road running tires and would be worthless in the mud.

So don't go in the mud. Slow down, stop, say "get the fuck over" and then continue.

I mean seriously. Crashing on a bike? How stupid do you have to be? Like its so fucking imperative that you keep pedaling that there are no other options.

05-12-2012, 08:08 PM
So don't go in the mud. Slow down, stop, say "get the **** over" and then continue.

I mean seriously. Crashing on a bike? How stupid do you have to be? Like its so ****ing imperative that you keep pedaling that there are no other options.

I do slow down and stop if necessary, BUT sometimes its not that simple. I'm sure he didn't just wipe out for the fun of it. There is probably a reason he ended up on the ground that he couldn't simply avoid.

Okie_Apparition
05-12-2012, 08:10 PM
They hope you'll pass out so they can raid your pockets for the ice cream truck

KevB
05-12-2012, 08:16 PM
We don't have many kids in my area, so I don't really have the family problem or the stroller problem. I apologize for making a remark that might be considered sexist, but the biggest problem in my area is when you have multiple women walking together on the trail. They inevitably walk side by side because they're talking, and that's fine, but when someone's coming at them THEY WON'T FRICKIN' MOVE OVER! They take the entire width of the trail and for some reason just expect that every runner or biker will veer off onto the shoulder so that they don't miss a word of their riveting discussion about last night's episode of Private Practice. I'll resignedly squeeze through, but as time goes on I'm getting closer and closer to the end person who's not giving me any space and waiting longer and longer before I make an effort to dodge. At some point I'm going to have a bad day and just not dodge at all, because I honestly think they won't make any effort to avoid a collision, and I'm usually (not always) the bigger one.

This hits the nail on the head for me. That goes for walking/riding anywhere, even the hallways at work. It's maddening, and all I can do not to be a dick and say something.

05-12-2012, 08:17 PM
This hits the nail on the head for me. That goes for walking/riding anywhere, even the hallways at work. It's maddening, and all I can do not to be a dick and say something.

I've wanted to just let it rip on some people but I just try to let it go. Usually takes me a quarter mile to stop bitching about it. heh

keg in kc
05-12-2012, 08:19 PM
So don't go in the mud. Slow down, stop, say "get the **** over" and then continue.

I mean seriously. Crashing on a bike? How stupid do you have to be? Like its so ****ing imperative that you keep pedaling that there are no other options.I think you have the wrong idea here. It was a blind corner, so there wasn't time to do anything but react. I had in fact slowed down coming into the corner (I had slowed from about 18.5 to @15 mph, and was still breaking), since I've ridden this trail dozens of times and know that you can't see people coming the other way, but even with that there was literally about one second between me seeing the idiots coming right at me and me slamming my head on the ground. This was not me riding on a long straightaway with plenty of time to move. I do that literally all time. I don't have any problem going off-road to avoid inconsiderate people. This was not that situation. There was going to be no shouting or arm waving.

The problem here is that there were two kids and then a mother riding straight into my face on my half of the pavement on a downhill (me going downhill) into a 90-degree left turn. My choices were basically take the kids out or get out of their way and try to clear the mud. Unfortunately I couldn't clear the mud, and hit it right at the apex of the turn. There was nowhere for me to go, no way for me to stop, and as far as I can tell, no way for me to avoid a wreck. And I had done everything I'm supposed to do, slowing down into the turn, staying to the right. None of that mattered, except that it likely saved me from having a much worse spill.

They screwed up. I paid for it. Simple as that. Sometimes that's the way the chips fall.

KevB
05-12-2012, 08:20 PM
I ride the Mill Creek/Gary Haller trail often. It's really nice, and lengthy. It goes from Shawnee to Olathe, with Shawnee Mission Park and all it has to offer in the middle.

05-12-2012, 08:22 PM
I think you have the wrong idea here. It was a blind corner, so there wasn't time to do anything but react. I had in fact slowed down coming into the corner (I had slowed from about 18.5 to @15 mph, and was still breaking), since I've ridden this trail dozens of times and know that you can't see people coming the other way, but even with that there was literally about one second between me seeing the idiots coming right at me and me slamming my head on the ground. This was not me riding on a long straightaway with plenty of time to move. I do that literally all time. I don't have any problem going off-road to avoid inconsiderate people. This was not that situation. There was going to be no shouting or arm waving.

The problem here is that there were two kids and then a mother riding straight into my face on my half of the pavement on a downhill (me going downhill) into a 90-degree left turn. My choices were basically take the kids out or get out of their way and try to clear the mud. Unfortunately I couldn't clear the mud, and hit it right at the apex of the turn. There was nowhere for me to go, no way for me to stop, and as far as I can tell, no way for me to avoid a wreck. And I had done everything I'm supposed to do, slowing down into the turn, staying to the right. None of that mattered, except that it likely saved me from having a much worse spill.

They screwed up. I paid for it. Simple as that. Sometimes that's the way the chips fall.

Well, yes and no. I slow down to 5 mph on all blind corners for that very reason. Not worth the risk.

Bugeater
05-12-2012, 08:23 PM
I've wanted to just let it rip on some people but I just try to let it go. Usually takes me a quarter mile to stop bitching about it. heh
Fuck that, I've never had a major issue but I wouldn't hesitate to call out someone for being a hazard to other trail users.

Bearcat
05-12-2012, 08:25 PM

I mean seriously. Crashing on a bike? How stupid do you have to be? Like its so ****ing imperative that you keep pedaling that there are no other options.

I'm sure people who ride bikes never think about stuff like that... they probably crash just for the attention or something. You should start some kind of consulting gig.

keg in kc
05-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Well, yes and no. I slow down to 5 mph on all blind corners for that very reason. Not worth the risk.I fat-fingered the 5 on my number pad. I meant to type 12 there. I wasn't coming around the corner at breakneck speed or anything. I had slowed way down and was still breaking. I might not be typing right now if I hadn't.

keg in kc
05-12-2012, 08:34 PM
I've been reading up on truing wheels, this whole "balancing the tension" on the spokes is going to be fun. He says sarcastically.

Donger
05-12-2012, 08:37 PM

If you are going 15 to 20 (normal for a cyclist on a trail) and the people are coming toward you, you've got a closing speed of 20 to 30 mph. On a blind corner, unless you slow down to walking speed, there's not much you can do. I know the blind corners on my normal ride, and I do slow down to walking speed, and it HAS saved me on more than one occasion.

Al Bundy
05-12-2012, 08:38 PM
I fat-fingered the 5 on my number pad. I meant to type 12 there. I wasn't coming around the corner at breakneck speed or anything. I had slowed way down and was still breaking. I might not be typing right now if I hadn't.

It's tough coming to those corners like that, especially when people don't move over. There is one part by Roe park where there are always families riding very slowly taking up the entire trail but it is by the soccer fields so I can just go around them.

Donger
05-12-2012, 08:38 PM
I've got a really (really, really) bad wobble with the front wheel. I'm going to take a closer look at it tomorrow and hopefully it's not as bad as I think it is. But it doesn't strike me as something I can take care of myself.

Unless you've got a broken spoke (unlikely and easy to spot), the wheel just needs to be trued. Don't try it yourself. Any bike shop should do it for less than $25.

AustinChief
05-12-2012, 08:42 PM
What is wrong with you people? Here are the steps to follow...

#1 politely announce yourself and hope people are considerate
#2 (if people are still in the way) LOUDLY announce your presence in a "fuck you, cuz here I come" manner
#3 run them over. (if they move at the last minute, spit on them as you pass)

I have ZERO problem knocking strollers over... teach those little bastards early! :D

Shogun
05-12-2012, 08:45 PM

I know that trail. And its fucking littered with retards.

Shogun
05-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Also if youre on a bike, bring an airhorn. Seriously.

keg in kc
05-12-2012, 08:47 PM
I know that trail. And its ****ing littered with retards.Which one?

And it's fine if you pick your time. Early in the morning or late in the evening on the weekend and Indian Creek trail's virtually empty. During the week I'll also sometimes ride during the day (i.e. between 1 and 2 pm) and it's the same.

On the weekends, though, I won't ride between 10 am and 6 pm. That's when all the morons are out.

I still haven't run. Really gotta get off my ass.

AustinChief
05-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Also if youre on a bike, bring an airhorn. Seriously.

That's an awesome idea.

http://www.deltacycle.com/Airzound-Bike-Horn

keg in kc
05-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Only if it goes "ahoooohhhgaah".

Bugeater
05-12-2012, 08:53 PM
That's an awesome idea.

http://www.deltacycle.com/Airzound-Bike-Horn
I may have to get me one of those.

Rain Man
05-12-2012, 09:08 PM
That is the one I ride the most. There are some serious assholes on that one. A lot of Leawood house wife bitches that won't move even when I yell "I'm coming up on the left".

I think keg uses that trail a lot.

Rain Man
05-12-2012, 09:08 PM
I know that trail. And its ****ing littered with retards.

I think keg uses that trail a lot.

Rain Man
05-12-2012, 09:09 PM
(Titter.)

keg in kc
05-12-2012, 09:10 PM
I think keg uses that trail a lot.It sure was littered with one retard an hour or two ago.

keg in kc
05-12-2012, 11:12 PM
Well, the good news is that I think I'm structurally okay. Just ran about 3.5 miles (first time I've run in a month I think; it's been all biking) and didn't have any problems with anything. I'd banged my right knee in the fall (that's the one with the torn ACL 20 years ago...) and it was a little iffy when I started running, but everything seemed fine by the end. So I'm thanking my lucky stars. Problems with the bike I can fix or replace. Problems with me would have been much worse.

HoneyBadger
05-12-2012, 11:20 PM
I was at the beach the other day for a walk, and of course the mom lets her kid run freely on the walking path. Where does the kid run to? Right into my path.

I couldn't dodge the little shit head, so I just ran the kid over. Of course the mom blamed me and started yelling.

scorpio
05-12-2012, 11:27 PM
Yesterday I had some old lady scream at me for passing her on the left because she thought I was going to run over her rat dog.

05-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Yesterday I had some old lady scream at me for passing her on the left because she thought I was going to run over her rat dog.

I got yelled at once for passing someone in the grass. I was 15 feet away. To this day I don't know what they were upset about.

CrazyPhuD
05-12-2012, 11:42 PM
I got yelled at once for passing someone in the grass. I was 15 feet away. To this day I don't know what they were upset about.

That's when you give them the friendly one finger wave.

Easy 6
05-12-2012, 11:52 PM
That's when you give them the friendly one finger wave.

But only to let them know they're #1

keg in kc
05-12-2012, 11:53 PM
There are a few of people out there who for whatever reason take it as some kind of affront that they have to move when they hear somebody coming behind them, that apparently believe they're entitled to spread out across the entire trail. Where I ride near home it's generally packs of women with strollers, and elderly couples. Dirty looks, shouting, even had somebody throw an empty water bottle at me once.

There's also plenty of nice women with strollers and elderly couples who wave or smile as you go by, so I'm not painting anybody with broad strokes, but when there are issues, those are generally the two groups. I have no idea why.

There are also runners who apparently have their ipods turned up so high that they can't hear you no matter how loud you shout or ring your little bike bell. Those scare me, when I'm not sure whether somebody knows I'm there or not, and I feel a little bad when they jump 3 feet high as I ride by, because I'm not trying to scare anybody. And I do know how unnerving it can be when you don't know somebody's behind you and then they fly by, because it's happened to me a couple of times in the past with bikers who didn't announce.

05-12-2012, 11:57 PM
There are a few of people out there who for whatever reason take it as some kind of affront that they have to move when they hear somebody coming behind them, that apparently believe they're entitled to spread out across the entire trail. Where I ride near home it's generally packs of women with strollers, and elderly couples. Dirty looks, shouting, even had somebody throw an empty water bottle at me once.

There's also plenty of nice women with strollers and elderly couples who wave or smile as you go by, so I'm not painting anybody with broad strokes, but when there are issues, those are generally the two groups. I have no idea why.

There are also runners who apparently have their ipods turned up so high that they can't hear you no matter how loud you shout or ring your little bike bell. Those scare me, when I'm not sure whether somebody knows I'm there or not, and I feel a little bad when they jump 3 feet high as I ride by, because I'm not trying to scare anybody. And I do know how unnerving it can be when you don't know somebody's behind you and then passed, because it's happened to me a couple of times in the past with bikers who didn't announce.
I got yelled at for supposedly not announcing when I did. the funny thing was that the guy in front of him turned around and told him he heard me and to STFU.

Bump
05-13-2012, 12:27 AM
Yeah mothers who take their kids out to ride bikes should be locked up. Those kids should be playing call of duty on xbox live. If any kid hasn't hit at least 5 prestige by now, it's child neglect.

Bump
05-13-2012, 12:30 AM
but you are right though that women with kids and having any regard for anyone else. Ever try shopping at Wal mart on a sunday? Jesus fucking christ, every mother there has 5 kids and last time I told the cashier that it was a bad day to stop doing meth and I guess I forgot where I was, because I say that as a joke when I'm stressed but meth is a pretty regular thing there so she probably assumed I was serious.

Predarat
05-13-2012, 09:20 AM

They do it in the fucking shopping marts too. Damn bitches clogging the entire isle chit chatting while I am trying to get my fucking groceries.

Demonpenz
05-13-2012, 09:30 AM
build your own trail

Setsuna
05-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Yeah mothers who take their kids out to ride bikes should be locked up. Those kids should be playing call of duty on xbox live. If any kid hasn't hit at least 5 prestige by now, it's child neglect.

but you are right though that women with kids and having any regard for anyone else. Ever try shopping at Wal mart on a sunday? Jesus ****ing christ, every mother there has 5 kids and last time I told the cashier that it was a bad day to stop doing meth and I guess I forgot where I was, because I say that as a joke when I'm stressed but meth is a pretty regular thing there so she probably assumed I was serious.

Yeah ok, pothead. You contribute nothing to society. No one takes anything you say with a grain of salt. This is the last time I'm informing you on your insignificance.

Predarat
05-13-2012, 02:29 PM
I think instead of bitching about the chicks, you should take pics of them and put them in the 'would you' thread were we can break them down and defile them right in front of your eyes.

seamonster
05-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Personally I know I've shoulder checked over two dozen pompous women-talkers on the trails and have nearly gotten curb stomped by DC protesters taking up wide swaths of the trails here. It's a frustrating situation for runners and bikers and seems to get worse the longer you use the trails. People act like animals now and show zippy courtesy towards everybody around them.

Saccopoo
05-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Who rides a bike on a paved trail?

I'd be pissed if I was walking on a paved walking path and some jerknut is flying by in their "race" spandex and a 2k mountain bike not giving a shit about the casual walkers.

Seriously...I hope you aren't riding a nice MTB on a paved path bitching about people walking on it.

05-13-2012, 03:48 PM

I'd be pissed if I was walking on a paved walking path and some jerknut is flying by in their "race" spandex and a 2k mountain bike not giving a shit about the casual walkers.

Seriously...I hope you aren't riding a nice MTB on a paved path bitching about people walking on it.

If it is anything like our trail it is posted that it is a shared trail and standard rules of the road apply. Walkers do have the right of way but they are still supposed to allow you half the width of the trail in the other direction.

Donger
05-13-2012, 04:21 PM

I do.

Bugeater
05-13-2012, 04:39 PM
I do.
Same here.

Al Bundy
05-13-2012, 04:51 PM

It's a shared trail where I ride.

keg in kc
05-13-2012, 05:35 PM
If by "not giving a shit about the casual walkers" you mean giving clear notification that I'm coming up behind them, and going off the 8 freaking foot wide trail if they don't acknowledge me and move to the right half of the pavement, then yep, that's me. I've probably spent more time walking and running on that trail than 90% of the people on it, so I'm pretty cognizant of things from their perspective.

Otherwise, stop being a useless douche. Although I know that's too much to ask.

Oh, and I've never worn spandex and have no earthly idea what a "2k mountain bike" is.

Donger
05-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Oh, and I've never worn spandex and have no earthly idea what a "2k mountain bike" is.

I presume that he is referring to cycling shorts and a $2,000 mountain bike.

Donger
05-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Same here.

It was a really odd question. My road bike has 23c tires. They don't exactly like anything but pavement.

keg in kc
05-13-2012, 05:45 PM
I presume that he is referring to cycling shorts and a $2,000 mountain bike.Yeah. That is definitely not me. I'm more of the fat guy in regular clothes on a cheapy $400 bike with nice gloves and helmet. If I was a road guy I'd probably be...on the road, in one of those goofy looking spandex suits on a bike with tiny tires hoping I don't get hit by a car. If I was a mountain guy, I'd probably be off in the dirt somewhere hoping I don't take a header down a slope. But I'm not. I'm on a bike designed for paved trails on a trail referred to by the city of overland park, the folks responsible for its upkeep, as a "bike and hike (http://www.opkansas.org/Things-to-See-And-Do/Bike-and-Hike-Trails)" trail.

Hey look, the picture on there even has bikes on it.

Rain Man
05-14-2012, 09:33 AM
There are also runners who apparently have their ipods turned up so high that they can't hear you no matter how loud you shout or ring your little bike bell. Those scare me, when I'm not sure whether somebody knows I'm there or not, and I feel a little bad when they jump 3 feet high as I ride by, because I'm not trying to scare anybody. And I do know how unnerving it can be when you don't know somebody's behind you and then they fly by, because it's happened to me a couple of times in the past with bikers who didn't announce.

Most of my running is either on runner-only areas where you don't worry about anything, or on streets where your head is on a swivel for everything. However, there's one route that I take on long runs sometimes that's about 75% bikers and 25% runners. It's paved and level and easy to navigate so some of the bikers are moving really fast.

I really like those little bike bells, but I think I like hearing "on your left" even better because for some reason it registers faster with me. When I hear it I always do a courtesy wave and move over to the right a little if I'm not already there. Most of the bikers there are good to the runners, and only maybe 1 or 2 an hour will whiz by me two feet away and make me jump.

Another thing that I do, which other runners have commented on favorably, is to use "turn signals". If I'm passing a slower runner, I'll always glance over my shoulder first to be sure a biker's not coming up, but either way I'll hold up my hand and "blink" my index finger, bending it and straightening it a few times where someone behind me can see it. I'll then do the same thing with my other hand when I pass and move back over. I'll also do this in races if there are other runners nearby. For real races I've been pondering taping green arrows to my index fingers just for fun.

tooge
05-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Keg, I think it's pretty common knowledge in the biking community that when you see a mother and children on a bike trail, particularly in Johnson County, you simply yell, "move it or lose it Mcshitforbrains"

Graystoke
05-14-2012, 09:50 AM
I've been reading up on truing wheels, this whole "balancing the tension" on the spokes is going to be fun. He says sarcastically.

Its really not that tough. If you have a wheel truing stand great, if not you can use your brakes for the adjustment. Careful not to strip the spoke ferrules. You always want to go slow and adjust from both sides of the hub.

Bike/walking trails are a tough one. We have miles upon miles of hard surface trails and it is common knowlege on weekends that you stay off unless you are going slow and toodling. But then again we are fortunate, live in Iowa and we have miles of county rds to get our real cycling in with not stops ect..

Rules of the trail..peds have right away...even the rude ones

keg in kc
05-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Rules of the trail..peds have right away...even the rude onesI don't think anybody has disputed that. I know the only complaint I've voiced is one that's the same whether I'm cycling, running or simply walking myself, and that's the fact that some groups on the trails, generally women with strollers, are either completely oblivious of or utterly inconsiderate towards anybody else, and treat the trail like it's their own private space, for whatever reason thinking it's okay to spread out all the way across the trail. And I'm talking about a trail that's 6-8 feet wide the entire way, so I mean 4 people side-by-side, walking in one direction, or two women with double strollers. (It's actually usually runners, not walkers)

I just don't 'get' people who do that...

Anyway the event that sparked my little angry rant on saturday night didn't involve pedestrians at all. It was other people on bicycles paying absolutely no attention to where they were.

keg in kc
05-14-2012, 10:45 AM
My other personal pet peeve: people who don't leash their dogs. As well as people who do leash their dogs, but let them roam the grass all the way across the path. Oh, and people who walk 3-4 dogs by themselves, especially when they're 3-4 large dogs (although there can be some humor in that).

All of these are reasons why I'm only on the trail (whether I'm on my bike or not...) early in the morning, late in the evening, or during work hours if it's during the week.

Graystoke
05-14-2012, 10:58 AM
My other personal pet peeve: people who don't leash their dogs. As well as people who do leash their dogs, but let them roam the grass all the way across the path. Oh, and people who walk 3-4 dogs by themselves, especially when they're 3-4 large dogs (although there can be some humor in that).

All of these are reasons why I'm only on the trail (whether I'm on my bike or not...) early in the morning, late in the evening, or during work hours if it's during the week.

I hear you with the dogs. :clap:

mr. tegu
05-14-2012, 10:59 AM

Mill Creek trail that is a part of the Shawnee Mission Park system is great, especially if you start around the access point over by Kansas River and I-435. Hardly anyone in that area at all. The access points are few and far between on that trail so once you get a half mile from one you will not see another person unless they are on a bike or the occassional jogger. It is in the city but not nearly as much so as the one you are speaking of.

vailpass
05-14-2012, 11:06 AM

Are you retarded? Ever been to a city?

mr. tegu
05-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Keg and anyone else, here is the Mill Creek trail. It is relatively free of non biking pedestrians since it typically requires you to actually drive to it, especially at the northern end. The access points are really the only way people get to the trail since the surrounding areas are not overly populated which evident by the fact that the trail is near the railroad most of the time and obviously railroads don't exactly attract housing developments. Also, just looking at the map you can see that there are not many streets near the trail. My fiance and I really prefer the northern half for these reasons. You become completely lost out there. And Neslon Island, that part of the trail is awesome. Completely surrounded by the Kansas River on one side and Mill Creek on the other, with the whole island being made up of old growth wilderness. One tree there must have a trunk diameter of 10 ft. Even has a nice mountain biking/offroad trail if you choose.

http://www.jcprd.com/park_admin/pdf/mcrk-map.pdf

Imon Yourside
05-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Much safer on the street i guess, uh huh. ;)

keg in kc
05-14-2012, 12:37 PM
I won't ride on the street. Seems like asking for trouble.

Rain Man
05-14-2012, 12:53 PM
I won't ride on the street. Seems like asking for trouble.

Tinyevel does it all the time.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=100711&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1332430822

KevB
05-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Keg and anyone else, here is the Mill Creek trail. It is relatively free of non biking pedestrians since it typically requires you to actually drive to it, especially at the northern end. The access points are really the only way people get to the trail since the surrounding areas are not overly populated which evident by the fact that the trail is near the railroad most of the time and obviously railroads don't exactly attract housing developments. Also, just looking at the map you can see that there are not many streets near the trail. My fiance and I really prefer the northern half for these reasons. You become completely lost out there. And Neslon Island, that part of the trail is awesome. Completely surrounded by the Kansas River on one side and Mill Creek on the other, with the whole island being made up of old growth wilderness. One tree there must have a trunk diameter of 10 ft. Even has a nice mountain biking/offroad trail if you choose.

http://www.jcprd.com/park_admin/pdf/mcrk-map.pdf

I ride this all the time, and live very close to the northern end. I ride my bike a mile to get access and then go ride around the island. As you move South, some really great stretches in the woods and long stretches of prairie where you can really open up due to visibility of the trail well ahead of you.

vailpass
05-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Tinyevel does it all the time.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=100711&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1332430822

LMAO

rageeumr
05-14-2012, 01:41 PM
When I ride my bike to work, I'll take the section of the Tomahawk Creek trail from 143rd and Pflumm to 135th and Metcalf (where my office is). I really only do that so that I'm off the road during rush hour, and I'm riding a pretty relaxed pace. Otherwise I'm on the road.

As far as risk of ANY accident, I think I'm far safer on the road. Granted, if I get in a wreck on the road, I'm likely to be WAY more injured.

But the type of riding I do, there's no place for me on a mixed use trail, for the reasons you have mentioned. Moms with kids, people walking 4 wide (all texting), dogs and owners on opposite sides of the trail with a leash-style tripwire....

I did one 30+ mile ride on the trails last year, where i basically did a loop around Indian Creek and Tomahawk Creek trail, with the bike lane on 143rd as a connector. Never again.

mr. tegu
05-14-2012, 01:45 PM
I ride this all the time, and live very close to the northern end. I ride my bike a mile to get access and then go ride around the island. As you move South, some really great stretches in the woods and long stretches of prairie where you can really open up due to visibility of the trail well ahead of you.

Yeah I love that trail and that northern end especially. So peaceful and quiet and you rarely ever even see civilzation (other than other bikers).

Saccopoo
05-14-2012, 07:49 PM

My personal pet peeve: People driving bikes on walking trails thinking that the pedestrians should all dive to the side when they mutter "on the left" as they putter their shitty cruisers past them.

It's the same as fucking truckers on interstate highways.

You have the same rules of the road as motorists. Bike on the road. Either that or realize that you are sharing a flat, paved, wussy walking trail with...wait for it...pedestrians.

Al Bundy
05-14-2012, 08:12 PM
My personal pet peeve: People driving bikes on walking trails thinking that the pedestrians should all dive to the side when they mutter "on the left" as they putter their shitty cruisers past them.

It's the same as ****ing truckers on interstate highways.

You have the same rules of the road as motorists. Bike on the road. Either that or realize that you are sharing a flat, paved, wussy walking trail with...wait for it...pedestrians.

ROFL
I know you're trolling here.

05-14-2012, 10:43 PM
I hate it when families use the trails because they don't move for anyone and if their kids cause the accident it won't matter because they will sue you anyway. I have yet to find a family on Shunga, walking or biking, that gives a crap about anyone on the trail other than themselves.

keg in kc
05-15-2012, 04:56 AM

It's the same as ****ing truckers on interstate highways.

You have the same rules of the road as motorists. Bike on the road. Either that or realize that you are sharing a flat, paved, wussy walking trail with...wait for it...pedestrians.You should stick to idiotic draft talk. You're even more clueless here than you are there. Which is really saying something.

Otter
05-15-2012, 05:22 AM
You should stick to idiotic draft talk. You're even more clueless here than you are there. Which is really saying something.

Heh, this is a rare sight.

Keg, you need to build a Twisted Metal style bike. Screw air horns or 'on the left', go all Mr. Grimm and mount some 30 Cals and Honey Badger catapult.

keg in kc
05-15-2012, 05:33 AM
I've been thinking for years about building a james bond car with caltrops and missiles and little front-fired darts to destroy tires and take out annoying drivers, maybe I could move that concept to a cycle.

:hmmm:

Fish
05-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Damn people! Get off my trail!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7KVgx9OJHpA?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

suzzer99
05-15-2012, 04:06 PM
That was pretty sick. I'm nauseous now.

Rain Man
05-15-2012, 07:08 PM
Yes, Jason Peters.

You know how sometimes you're at a party and you meet someone, and they make a comment that you don't understand at all, and you're trying to figure out if they're really deep or if they're just weird, and so you nod and say, "uh huh"?

Uh huh.

Rain Man
05-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Oh, wait a minute, wait a minute. I just got the Jason Peters comment. It was deep, not weird.

trndobrd
05-15-2012, 10:28 PM

Ding, ding, ding! My local running path seems to be THE place for people to let their dogs run free. Nothing like being charged by a stupid dog during that early morning run.

Goldmember
05-15-2012, 11:02 PM
I ride on the road with my road bike or off road with my mt bike. I'd kill adults, kids and myself if I blasted into them at 30 miles an hour. Of course, cars can kill me at 50 miles an hour. :(

Saccopoo
05-15-2012, 11:22 PM
You should stick to idiotic draft talk. You're even more clueless here than you are there. Which is really saying something.

Really?

'Cause I really hate dipshits driving bikes on paved pedestrian trails like they think that they own the whole thing. I mean guys who are too fucking scared to get on the road and guys who are too fucking out of shape to be on a real, non-paved trail.

Guys that bitch about people walking, of all places, on a walking trail. A paved walking trail.

On your left pussies, because I'm a little too lazy to walk this shit so I'll peddle it up in your ass and you better move the fuck over 'cause I'm a interstate highway trucker bully who is going to plow your ass over...until I get to that hill and then I'm just a slow ass piece of shit that, at that point, will finally be respectful because I've finally been found out to be a slow ass piece of trail bully shit that is now reclimated to being a fat ass that has to walk his bike up the pussy assed paved incline.

Bugeater
05-15-2012, 11:32 PM
Haha. Not wanting to get seriously injured or possibly killed by something 20x our weight means we're fucking scared. You're a stupid motherfucker.

Saccopoo
05-15-2012, 11:45 PM
Haha. Not wanting to get seriously injured or possibly killed by something 20x our weight means we're ****ing scared. You're a stupid mother****er.

http://www.thetruckingattorneys.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/fork6.jpg

A bicyclist has the same rights of the road as motorists. And many states have enacted pro-bicyclist laws that require motored vehicles to distance themselves from the bicyclist while on the same road.

But yet, the bicyclist, while on a paved pedestrian road, is more than happy to bitch about the pedestrians on such a path.

It's a trickle down economic situation.

Trucks hate cars.

Cars hate bikes.

Bikes hate walkers.

Walkers hate slow moving insects.

It's simply a Spencerian sociological argument about the hierarchy of a particular society.

Have your day you wussy paved trail bike riders. I'm sure that you will be suffering some enacted law put forth by some cheesed off pedestrian that limits your ability to mow them down with non other than a muted "...on your left..."

Bugeater
05-15-2012, 11:47 PM
You're not even paying attention to what's being said in this thread. Go fistfuck yourself, if you're not already doing it.

jspchief
05-16-2012, 05:02 AM
The real issue here is spandex.

Is it really that important to cut down on wind resistance for your Sunday afternoon bike ride? Do you also shave your body to go for a swim at the beach? Or strip out the interior of your car to reduce weight for a drive to the grocery store?

Al Bundy
05-16-2012, 06:11 AM
Really?

'Cause I really hate dipshits driving bikes on paved pedestrian trails like they think that they own the whole thing. I mean guys who are too ****ing scared to get on the road and guys who are too ****ing out of shape to be on a real, non-paved trail.

Guys that bitch about people walking, of all places, on a walking trail. A paved walking trail.

On your left pussies, because I'm a little too lazy to walk this shit so I'll peddle it up in your ass and you better move the **** over 'cause I'm a interstate highway trucker bully who is going to plow your ass over...until I get to that hill and then I'm just a slow ass piece of shit that, at that point, will finally be respectful because I've finally been found out to be a slow ass piece of trail bully shit that is now reclimated to being a fat ass that has to walk his bike up the pussy assed paved incline.

Hey.. how about you eat shit and die.

Chest Rockwell
05-16-2012, 06:14 AM
Damn people! Get off my trail!

The South Americans are crazy...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pAz4RYxDc8s?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:eek: to:

Dog that gives not a f#ck at 0:37, jump @ 1:13 and series of 2 @ 2:23.

Also, all of the above are the reasons I stay the hell off of multi-use trails on my bike. I've gone shiny side down many more times on these than I ever have on the roads. And on the roads, at least every time it's happened there it was my fault.

05-16-2012, 06:17 AM
Really?

'Cause I really hate dipshits driving bikes on paved pedestrian trails like they think that they own the whole thing. I mean guys who are too ****ing scared to get on the road and guys who are too ****ing out of shape to be on a real, non-paved trail.

On your left pussies, because I'm a little too lazy to walk this shit so I'll peddle it up in your ass and you better move the **** over 'cause I'm a interstate highway trucker bully who is going to plow your ass over...until I get to that hill and then I'm just a slow ass piece of shit that, at that point, will finally be respectful because I've finally been found out to be a slow ass piece of trail bully shit that is now reclimated to being a fat ass that has to walk his bike up the pussy assed paved incline.
Shared trails. Designed for both.

Bugeater
05-16-2012, 06:33 AM
Shared trails. Designed for both.
That's already been mentioned several times and he has chosen to ignore that pesky little fact. He has also chosen to ignore that the people that the thread starter is angry at were also riding bikes on this supposed "walking trail". I'd suggest not even dignifying any more of his idiocy with responses.

Fish
05-16-2012, 06:38 AM
Really?

'Cause I really hate dipshits driving bikes on paved pedestrian trails like they think that they own the whole thing. I mean guys who are too fucking scared to get on the road and guys who are too fucking out of shape to be on a real, non-paved trail.

On your left pussies, because I'm a little too lazy to walk this shit so I'll peddle it up in your ass and you better move the fuck over 'cause I'm a interstate highway trucker bully who is going to plow your ass over...until I get to that hill and then I'm just a slow ass piece of shit that, at that point, will finally be respectful because I've finally been found out to be a slow ass piece of trail bully shit that is now reclimated to being a fat ass that has to walk his bike up the pussy assed paved incline.

Wow. What a retarded rant....

qabbaan
05-16-2012, 06:43 AM
The worst are the runners who run on the bike-only paths with their headphones on... Like they wouldn't complain if you were biking on the walking/running path.

lcarus
05-16-2012, 06:46 AM

This reminds me of people while driving that get pissed at you for a phantom reason. Motorcycle douchebags are the worst about this. I was turning right out of my complex, and I'm on top of a big ass hill. So I don't see anyone, turn right, and then as soon as I do some motorcycle douche with his fat woman come FLYING up the god damn hill. They really weren't even very close to hitting me, but the dude got in front of me and looked back and was yelling a bunch of shit and flailing his dumb arms around. If you're that worried about your safety dude, don't come flying up a hill in a motorcycle going 55 in morning rush.

keg in kc
05-16-2012, 07:44 AM
Really?

On your left pussies, because I'm a little too lazy to walk this shit so I'll peddle it up in your ass and you better move the **** over 'cause I'm a interstate highway trucker bully who is going to plow your ass over...until I get to that hill and then I'm just a slow ass piece of shit that, at that point, will finally be respectful because I've finally been found out to be a slow ass piece of trail bully shit that is now reclimated to being a fat ass that has to walk his bike up the pussy assed paved incline.Just to add to what's already been said by several other people, you're kind of off in left field, ranting randomly about things that have nothing to do with anything anybody has said in this thread. I know my own angry rant that started the thread on Saturday night was an immediate reaction to wrecking my bike because of the irresponsibility of other bikers. Since I'm someone that both walks and runs on the same trails that I bike on, I don't think there's some kind of hierarchy that places bikes on the top of the pyramid. In fact, it's quite the opposite. As far as saying "on the left" goes, that's not actually done in an effort to get people to move, it's done to protect both the rider and the pedestrians or runners; it's a warning to help make sure people are aware of what's going on behind them. It's common courtesy, and I believe the people who don't do that, or don't use bells or horns, are maybe the most dangerous people of all on the trail, both to themselves and others. So that's why people do that.

As far as pedestrian right-of-way goes, you made a reference the other day to truckers, not realizing how apropos that was, just not in the way you intended: the pedestrians are the truckers, and as the slowest moving 'vehicle' on the trail, slower not just than cyclists but than runners, I always feel that, as a pedestrian (which I am several times a week on the same trails) it's my responsibility to stay 'in the right lane' as it were, and give as much of the trail as possible to the other people that are sharing it. That includes, when I'm walking with family or friends, making sure that I'm aware of everything going on both ahead and behind us, so that I or the people I'm with are not in any way a danger to ourselves or anyone else on the trail.

Which is I think the way everyone should be on the trail. That seems like the mature, logical way to act, and any complaining I'm doing is because of people who don't take the time to be aware of their surroundings, and may cause problems not only for me, but for other people on the trail, and for themselves.

As far as the trails go, the city's website calls them Bike and Hike trails (http://www.opkansas.org/Things-to-See-And-Do/Bike-and-Hike-Trails) and goes so far as to have a picture of cycles on their webpage, and the maps and signs on the trail refer to them as "Bicycle/Pedestrian Trails". So I'm guessing it's fair to take that as a message that they aren't just pedestrian trails, and that bicycles are not only allowed, but encouraged.

Other than that, I'll just let the personal attack garbage go. If that's how you want to be, fine, but that's not how I want to be, generally speaking. I was in a bad mood due to some unrelated issues when I replied in that manner the other day. I'm not now.

luv
05-16-2012, 07:56 AM
I'm a jogger. I don't have any trails within walking distance of my house, so I jog on sidewalks. Even though I think people biking in this area should be on the road, I move for them when I come across them on the sidewalk. I figure its safer for me to take a few steps off to the side than it is for them to slow down and maneuver. I think I have a problem with the "group" mentality. Especially other women. The skinny ones who wear sports bras and short shorts. They always seem to run in pairs, at least. Here I am, in a t-shirt and workout capris, the one who obviously needs to be doing this, and they expect me to be the one to inconvenience myself to get out of their way while they totally ignore me and chit chat. One of these days, I'll be able to look good enough to act that way towards others. :D

WV
05-16-2012, 08:35 AM
I'm a jogger. I don't have any trails within walking distance of my house, so I jog on sidewalks. Even though I think people biking in this area should be on the road, I move for them when I come across them on the sidewalk. I figure its safer for me to take a few steps off to the side than it is for them to slow down and maneuver. I think I have a problem with the "group" mentality. Especially other women. The skinny ones who wear sports bras and short shorts. They always seem to run in pairs, at least. Here I am, in a t-shirt and workout capris, the one who obviously needs to be doing this, and they expect me to be the one to inconvenience myself to get out of their way while they totally ignore me and chit chat. One of these days, I'll be able to look good enough to act that way towards others. :D

Drop your shoulder and run through them! Just don't wrap up, that would be creepy.