PDA

View Full Version : Royals Blue Jays' Brett Lawrie slams helmet into umpire

Deberg_1990
05-16-2012, 07:10 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-2MLo3YG7e4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/story/2012-05-15/brett-lawrie-wild-rage-blue-jays-rays/54983610/1

Brett Lawrie called it an "unlucky bounce." Major League Baseball is likely to call it an offense worthy of a suspension.

A furious Lawrie slammed his batting helmet to the ground after he took a third strike, and it struck plate umpire Bill Miller in the hip as the ninth inning turned nasty Tuesday night in the Toronto Blue Jays' 4-3 loss to the Tampa Bay Rays.

"That was not my intention at all," Lawrie said. "I've never, ever done anything to go at an umpire before in my life, and I didn't mean to tonight. I apologize for that.

BOX SCORE: Rays 4, Blue Jays 3
VIDEO: Brett Lawrie's epic tantrum
"It's just my passion for the game. I wanted to help my teammates out as best I could. That's the pride I have in this game. I leave my emotions out on the field."

Miller later was hit by a drink thrown by a fan while walking off the field after the game.

The trouble began with one out in the ninth and Lawrie trying to work a walk against Rays closer Fernando Rodney. On a 3-1 pitch, Lawrie started toward first base but was stopped short as Miller called strike two. Rodney stared in at Lawrie, and Miller helped settle the tension.

On a full-count pitch that he thought was ball four, Lawrie again headed toward first base. When Miller called strike three, Lawrie crouched in disbelief. Lawrie dropped his bat, gestured at Miller and shouted, and was ejected.

Lawrie then started toward Miller, wound up with his right arm and threw down his helmet. It bounced at the umpire's feet and ricocheted up into him.

"Upon seeing that he was ejected, he took several steps toward me and fired his helmet. It hit me in the right hip," Miller said.

"That's a bit extreme," Miller said.

Miller said he already has filed his report with MLB about the incident.

Lawrie said he felt Miller made "kind of a late call" on strike three.

Toronto manager John Farrell came out to restrain his 22-year-old third baseman, who's in his first full season in the majors. After Lawrie returned to the dugout, Farrell was ejected for arguing the call.

"The bat was taken completely out of Brett's hands, not only the 3-1 pitch but the 3-2 pitch as well," Farrell said. "Those are not strikes."

Miller was hit by a drink as he left the field. Police and stadium security were seen pointing into the crowd after that incident, and Miller shouted something at the fan before exiting.

ChiefRocka
05-16-2012, 07:12 AM
lil bitch

Amnorix
05-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Well, strike 3 was obviously a ball, but he got that call against him because he showed up the umpire on strike 2.

I thought baseball was trying to solve this umpires being bitchy issue? "You don't like my strike 2 call?! Wait til you see the next one. I'M THE FUCKING SHOW AROUND HERE."

All that said, you can't hit an umpire, even though it was clearly not intended for the helmet to bounce up and hit him. Welcome to a timeout courtesy of the commish.

Archie F. Swin
05-16-2012, 07:22 AM
You stay classy, hockey fans

Molitoth
05-16-2012, 07:25 AM
Remove Umpires so players can start throwing things at the replay screen. Oh wait, the replay screen won't get the call wrong....

BigMeatballDave
05-16-2012, 07:25 AM
I saw this last night.

I imagine he'll get a few days off.

He's just lucky Goodell isnt the Commish.

He'd be drawn and quartered.

tomahawk kid
05-16-2012, 07:31 AM
I've said this for a long time, but officials in major sports (NFL, MLB, NBA & NCAA Football / Basketball) should have to face the media after games and answer questions.

I realize the notion is that these guys are held accountable by their leagues for questionable calls via internal reviews. However, if officials were held responsible in a public forum for questionable / bad / calls or calls made on emotion - I think you'd see a reduction in incidents like this.

KC_Connection
05-16-2012, 07:46 AM
Well, strike 3 was obviously a ball, but he got that call against him because he showed up the umpire on strike 2.

I thought baseball was trying to solve this umpires being bitchy issue? "You don't like my strike 2 call?! Wait til you see the next one. I'M THE ****ING SHOW AROUND HERE."

All that said, you can't hit an umpire, even though it was clearly not intended for the helmet to bounce up and hit him. Welcome to a timeout courtesy of the commish.
Actually, I would argue that the umpire showed him up on strike 2 as well. It was an obvious ball and the umpire made a late, incorrect strike call on it after Lawrie had already made his move to first.

http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/files/2012/05/lawriefreakout.gif

Lawrie was obviously in the wrong here in losing control and tossing his helmet in the direction of the umpire (there's no precedent for that, could be a sizeable suspension). But the jackass umpire who felt he had to show up Lawrie in the 9th inning of a one-run game came off like a damn fool as well.

BigMeatballDave
05-16-2012, 07:52 AM
Lawrie was obviously in the wrong here in losing control and tossing his helmet in the direction of the umpire (there's no precedent for that, could be a sizeable suspension). But the jackass umpire who felt he had to show up Lawrie in the 9th inning of a one-run game came off like a damn fool as well.

The last pitch was certainly a ball. No doubt.

Batters, however, need to wait until the call is made before assuming the call.

IMO, Lawrie asked for it. The Ump may have showed up Lawrie at the end, but Lawrie should have waited for the call.

Deberg_1990
05-16-2012, 07:55 AM
I guess ill never understand why the "strike zone" varies so much from ump to ump? They all know the official strike zone, yet it always changes depending on ump, the pitcher, his mood that day or situation. Inexusable IMO.

KC_Connection
05-16-2012, 07:56 AM
The last pitch was certainly a ball. No doubt.

Batters, however, need to wait until the call is made before assuming the call.

IMO, Lawrie asked for it. The Ump may have showed up Lawrie at the end, but Lawrie should have waited for the call.
Yeah, you see a lot of guys do that (especially stars). I'm sure many think it increases the chances of getting the pitch called a ball, but in this case, it certainly backfired and only seemed to anger the umpire into making two wrong calls.

KC_Connection
05-16-2012, 07:58 AM
I guess ill never understand why the "strike zone" varies so much from ump to ump? They all know the official strike zone, yet it always changes depending on ump, the pitcher, his mood that day or situation. Inexusable IMO.
Just the human element of umpiring or refereeing in any sport. It changes all the time from game-to-game and from situation-to-situation. Unlike other sports, though, there's an easy solution with baseball's strike zone and the bases...robot/computer umpiring.

KC_Connection
05-16-2012, 08:01 AM
http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/5/16/3023351/brett-lawrie-umpire-helmet-suspension-blue-jays

The pitches in freeze frame:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1120545/lawrie1.png

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1120546/lawrie2.png

-King-
05-16-2012, 08:02 AM
This sport is full of thugs.

Frazod
05-16-2012, 08:07 AM
I think it's ridiculous that umpires still call balls and strikes. We have the technology to absolutely determine whether the pitch was a ball or strike, and see it after nearly every pitch on the screen.

And the purists can blow me.

Buck
05-16-2012, 08:17 AM
Good. Fuck the umpires. They suck.

In all fairness, I don't know if this certain ump has a good rep, but the majority of them stink and they have not been as transparent as they are supposed to be.

Fish
05-16-2012, 08:37 AM
I've said this for a long time, but officials in major sports (NFL, MLB, NBA & NCAA Football / Basketball) should have to face the media after games and answer questions.

I realize the notion is that these guys are held accountable by their leagues for questionable calls via internal reviews. However, if officials were held responsible in a public forum for questionable / bad / calls or calls made on emotion - I think you'd see a reduction in incidents like this.

That could certainly be argued though. If these refs knew that after making a very difficult decision in a 100mph game, that they would have to go in front of a bunch of heartless reporters and try to explain things, then that might start to cause additional hesitation and doubt on their already high pressure jobs.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-16-2012, 08:37 AM
I agree with the lose the umpires crowd. That way we won't have 90's Braves bullshit and crap like Livan Hernandez getting pitches a foot off the plate as strikes in a damn playoff game.

Johnny Vegas
05-16-2012, 08:42 AM
as classless as that fan was throwing a beer on the ump it was well justified. I say bring the tomatoes and lettuce and pelt them for the bad calls.

tomahawk kid
05-16-2012, 08:47 AM
That could certainly be argued though. If these refs knew that after making a very difficult decision in a 100mph game, that they would have to go in front of a bunch of heartless reporters and try to explain things, then that might start to cause additional hesitation and doubt on their already high pressure jobs.

Yes - that's the potential downside of it.

I think I just have a pet peeve when officials try to make themselves more a part of the game than they should. The immediate repercussion of having to face the media would curtail that in some cases.

Also - I've been a sports fan my whole life, and believe 95% of officials are incompetent morons and should be publically humiliated :)

Valiant
05-16-2012, 08:48 AM
http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/5/16/3023351/brett-lawrie-umpire-helmet-suspension-blue-jays

Ball, strike

He should of swung after the previous call.

BigCatDaddy
05-16-2012, 08:49 AM

2 looks a lot worse then 3.

RippedmyFlesh
05-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Strike 3 looks a little high but if the catcher setup there and he hits the glove you will get that call most of the time.

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-16-2012, 10:30 AM
I think it's ridiculous that umpires still call balls and strikes. We have the technology to absolutely determine whether the pitch was a ball or strike, and see it after nearly every pitch on the screen.

I completely agree.

Gadzooks
05-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Lawrie's a hot head. Damn roid rage.

MIAdragon
05-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Enjoy your time off Kid you earned it. O and BTW good luck at the dish when you return, better get the wood off your shoulder at ANYTHING close to the zone.

Frazod
05-16-2012, 10:57 AM

Meh. I'm not on roids, and I would have hit the cocksucker with the bat.

petegz28
05-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Two was bad but I'd ring him up all day on #3

morphius
05-16-2012, 11:55 AM

That is where I am. No reason to have an ump call the strikes/balls.

To the ref, who cares if a player shows you up, you are not supposed to be a part of the game. Your job is to be correct.

BigCatDaddy
05-16-2012, 11:57 AM

That would ruin half the fun of going to a game.

DJ's left nut
05-16-2012, 12:05 PM
A) Both calls were garbage given the strike zone the umpire had that night. Hitters only ask for consistency and those calls were anything but. And the high strike above the elbows hasn't been called a strike for years (especially on fastballs) You might get away with putting a curveball there if it drops hard enough after it crosses the plate, but that fastball is never going to get called a strike and hadn't all night.
B) Lawrie needs to chill the hell out.
C) There needs to be a mechanism in place for dealing with umpires. The ump caused that problem through whipping his dick out on a late strike call after the rookie started to first base before Miller was kind enough to give him permission. Miller's also known as a confrontational hothead.

If Lawrie sits 5, Miller should sit 2. You can't let umps get personal like that (especially down 1 run in the 9th) and then be surprised when competitive people take exception to it.

BWillie
05-16-2012, 12:07 PM
I agree with the lose the umpires crowd. That way we won't have 90's Braves bullshit and crap like Livan Hernandez getting pitches a foot off the plate as strikes in a damn playoff game.

O ya? How you gonna do that? Just not have a plate umpire? After every pitch go to the monitor? After every pitch wait for what the computer says and call a delayed strike or a ball.

Frazod
05-16-2012, 12:08 PM
That would ruin half the fun of going to a game.

I don't see how removing bias and inaccuracy would ruin anything for anybody, except perhaps people who rig these sorts of things for profit. I guess it would suck for them.

BigMeatballDave
05-16-2012, 12:08 PM
A) Both calls were garbage given the strike zone the umpire had that night. Hitters only ask for consistency and those calls were anything but. And the high strike above the elbows hasn't been called a strike for years (especially on fastballs) You might get away with putting a curveball there if it drops hard enough after it crosses the plate, but that fastball is never going to get called a strike and hadn't all night.
C) There needs to be a mechanism in place for dealing with umpires. The ump caused that problem through whipping his dick out on a late strike call after the rookie started to first base before Miller was kind enough to give him permission. Miller's also known as a confrontational hothead.

If Lawrie sits 5, Miller should sit 2. You can't let umps get personal like that (especially down 1 run in the 9th) and then be surprised when competitive people take exception to it.I dont really disagree with any of this, but I can completely understand how the Ump took offense to the kid assuming it was a ball, twice.

BigCatDaddy
05-16-2012, 12:10 PM
I don't see how removing bias and inaccuracy would ruin anything for anybody, except perhaps people who rig these sorts of things for profit. I guess it would suck for them.

I meant 1/2 of the fun is yelling stuff at the umpire. I think yelling at machine would not be near as fun.

DJ's left nut

Here's why I want to keep umpires calling balls and strikes - pitching to your umpire is an unquestioned skill.

At the MLB level, these guys are all just insanely talented; the difference between a star and the 25th guy is often in the margins. I like having as many places as possible to differentiate between a good pitcher and a great one.

Greg Maddux would've been only a good pitcher in the 'robot' era. But he was the smartest pitcher I've ever seen. He'd work an umpire's strike zone all night and by the end of it he'd have gotten the ump to expand it a little and would know exactly where it was. It was his efforts that gave him that advantage. Moreover, it then carries over to hitters. Good hitters then also realize that the wide strike is getting called and adjust...average ones don't.

It's not the mistakes or the 'human element' that I like about umpires. I like the fact that it's one more area for a pitcher or even a hitter to distinguish himself from his peers and control the outcome of the game.

I would be bitterly disappointed if that all went away for the sake of the verified 2% of pitches that an umpire misses in any given game.

BigMeatballDave
O ya? How you gonna do that? Just not have a plate umpire? After every pitch go to the monitor? After every pitch wait for what the computer says and call a delayed strike or a ball.

Technology is fast, in case you havent heard.

DJ's left nut
05-16-2012, 12:11 PM

Put the 'Fox Box' up on a screen behind the mound with a voice calling the results.

Done and done. The results are essentially instantaneous - but the game would suffer for it, IMO.

DJ's left nut
05-16-2012, 12:13 PM
I dont really disagree with any of this, but I can completely understand how the Ump took offense to the kid assuming it was a ball, twice.

Then Miller needed to be faster with his call. The 2nd strike was especially egregious.

Miller was slow on his call and one of the most energetic and exciting rookies in the league made an assumption. Miller decided he'd show the rook who's boss and it will be the Jays that are punished for Miller's arrogance.

Shelving Lawrie because of the hubris and bruised ego of Bill Miller hurts the game.

Frazod
05-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Here's why I want to keep umpires calling balls and strikes - pitching to your umpire is an unquestioned skill.

At the MLB level, these guys are all just insanely talented; the difference between a star and the 25th guy is often in the margins. I like having as many places as possible to differentiate between a good pitcher and a great one.

Greg Maddux would've been only a good pitcher in the 'robot' era. But he was the smartest pitcher I've ever seen. He'd work an umpire's strike zone all night and by the end of it he'd have gotten the ump to expand it a little and would know exactly where it was. It was his efforts that gave him that advantage. Moreover, it then carries over to hitters. Good hitters then also realize that the wide strike is getting called and adjust...average ones don't.

It's not the mistakes or the 'human element' that I like about umpires. I like the fact that it's one more area for a pitcher or even a hitter to distinguish himself from his peers and control the outcome of the game.

I would be bitterly disappointed if that all went away for the sake of the verified 2% of pitches that an umpire misses in any given game.

Sorry, but I'm all for technology removing bad calls and bullshit from professional sports. Whether it's football or baseball or anything else, I'm sick of bad/blown/bent calls ruining games. If the announcer can point to a graphic on a screen and say that a called third strike was a foot outside the zone, why the hell isn't there an umpire up in the booth looking at the same thing? If the announcer can look at a play and determine that there was, in fact, no pass interference on a play that resulted in a 50 yard penalty, why isn't there a ref in the booth that use utilize that information as well?

I guess if I rooted for a team that was routinely gifted bullshit calls, I wouldn't care so much. But I've seen my teams (particularly my football teams) absolutely ruined by bullshit over the years, and I've had enough. The human element of officiating is a big steaming pile of fail.

DJ's left nut
05-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Sorry, but I'm all for technology removing bad calls and bullshit from professional sports. Whether it's football or baseball or anything else, I'm sick of bad/blown/bent calls ruining games. If the announcer can point to a graphic on a screen and say that a called third strike was a foot outside the zone, why the hell isn't there an umpire up in the booth looking at the same thing? If the announcer can look at a play and determine that there was, in fact, no pass interference on a play that resulted in a 50 yard penalty, why isn't there a ref in the booth that use utilize that information as well?

I guess if I rooted for a team that was routinely gifted bullshit calls, I wouldn't care so much. But I've seen my teams (particularly my football teams) absolutely ruined by bullshit over the years, and I've had enough. The human element of officiating is a big steaming pile of fail.

It's an understandable argument, but you're removing a skill from the game. Hell, even a guy like Jose Molina that is probably better than anyone in baseball at framing the pitch suddenly loses that aspect of his game.

It's no different than lineman that are skilled at keeping their hands inside the pads when they hold. If you're a pitcher that's good enough to manipulate the strike zone or a hitter that's good enough to recognize same (or in some instances, manipulate it yourself), let alone a catcher that can save his pitcher a few strikes, I think that should continue to be rewarded.

Frazod
05-16-2012, 12:38 PM
It's an understandable argument, but you're removing a skill from the game. Hell, even a guy like Jose Molina that is probably better than anyone in baseball at framing the pitch suddenly loses that aspect of his game.

It's no different than lineman that are skilled at keeping their hands inside the pads when they hold. If you're a pitcher that's good enough to manipulate the strike zone or a hitter that's good enough to recognize same (or in some instances, manipulate it yourself), let alone a catcher that can save his pitcher a few strikes, I think that should continue to be rewarded.

That's just not a part of the game I care about. At all. I prefer a pitcher who can get a called strike by actually throwing a fucking strike.

PunkinDrublic
05-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Hope that cup was filled with urine. Beers are expensive.

KC_Connection
05-16-2012, 02:49 PM

If Lawrie sits 5, Miller should sit 2. You can't let umps get personal like that (especially down 1 run in the 9th) and then be surprised when competitive people take exception to it.
Agree with everything. There are no repercussions for an umpire making ridiculous calls like this. Perhaps there should be.

KC_Connection
05-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Four games for Lawrie, pending appeal.

Seems a little light, but I suppose he did have some arguments (that the helmet bounced and that the umpire was a total idiot).

DJ's left nut
05-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Torre said that he didn't see any intent behind it this morning, so I figured he'd get 3-5.

Seems fair to me. Lawrie has a reputation as a hard worker and a great kid, even if a bit tightly wound.

MLB did the smart thing here by not coming down too hard on a good kid in the name of protecting the 'sanctity' of a shithead ump.

Deberg_1990
05-16-2012, 03:08 PM
So does the umpire hold any responsiblity here? We never hear about an ump being disciplined or suspended. IMO arguments are usually a two way street. What if there was a history of bad blood here? IMO the ump shouldnt just get off scott free.

Setsuna
05-16-2012, 04:17 PM

Is it roid rage? Or is it because you look like a twig compared to him?

Saul Good
05-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Didn't think this was that big of a deal until I saw the video. Looked intentional to me.

DJ's left nut
05-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Watched it again and I'll say this - Bill Miller will think twice before being a shithead again.

When he turned around as the helmet hit him and saw a very very pissed off Brett Lawrie bowing up on him and shouting him down, he gets to looking like a scared old man in a hurry.

Lawrie will sit 4 and he'll deserve it - but that haughty douche Miller will take a lesson away from this as well, IMO. The memory of an enraged Lawrie and the sudden realization that if he wanted to, he could kill Miller with his bare hands right then and there, will not go away quickly.

Sure-Oz
05-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Thats my fantasy player fuck you miller!111111111111

The Dawg
05-17-2012, 01:39 AM

Nice post. :clap: