PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Derrick Thomas

O.city
05-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Had this discussion with dad last week when I was home. Thought it would be some football talk on here, which this time of year is few and far between.

Say he wouldn't have passed away when he did. How many years would he have kept playing? Playing at that high level?

Where do you think he would have ended up sack wise for his career?

He was my favorite Chief growing up and I was pretty devastated when he passed away, so the Christmas after he passed mom and dad had my DT signed jersey framed and mom brought up the topic last week.

So discuss.

milkman
05-16-2012, 06:47 PM
DT was already declining in his last couple of seasons, and I doubt he had more than 2 productive years left when he passed.

I would guess he might have gotten around 15 more sacks in the next two seasons combined.

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-16-2012, 06:50 PM
I was at work when I heard DT had died and I spent some time in a stall in the bathroom composing myself soon thereafter. I'm not ashamed.

Deberg_1990
05-16-2012, 06:54 PM
He was.heading into his 11th or 12th year right? He probably would have played another 3 or 4 more years. We certainly could have used him during the Vermeil years.

Loved him as a player, but ill be honest.....dude was speeding during a snowstorm with no seatbelt. Stupid.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dante84
05-16-2012, 06:55 PM
I was at work when I heard DT had died and I spent some time in a stall in the bathroom composing myself soon thereafter. I'm not ashamed.

You should be.

Who masturbates at work??

O.city
05-16-2012, 06:56 PM
DT was already declining in his last couple of seasons, and I doubt he had more than 2 productive years left when he passed.

I would guess he might have gotten around 15 more sacks in the next two seasons combined.

Dad had the same thought. Said he thought maybe 2 more productive years, then would have probably lost a step or two.

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-16-2012, 06:57 PM
You should be.

me. I'm a creeper like that.

tredadda
05-16-2012, 06:59 PM
I think about 3-4 years at most.

sedated
05-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Being a speed rusher, I'm guessing his decline would have been fast.

But he was still one of the greatest and most iconic Chiefs of all time, and his victory lap would have been great to watch. The former ownership would have made it quite an event.

Lumpy
05-16-2012, 07:56 PM
He would have had at least 3 years left.

Speaking of DT... Gonzo was going through his football cards last week and he found a rookie card. He didn't even know he had it. He also has a few signed cards that I got for him awhile back.

Bowser
05-16-2012, 07:59 PM
I'd say three years more. A year and a half of that being an "impact" player. He probably would have ended with 140 career sacks, +/- a few.

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-16-2012, 07:59 PM
You should be.

I do ! Why !

Phobia
05-16-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm not sure any at all. He was already losing playing time and his production was way off. For some strange reason he voided his contract a couple weeks before the accident and even if he had played another year or two it may not have been as a Chief.

morphius
05-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Yup, he had already lost a step, he wasn't going to be around too much longer.

rico
05-16-2012, 09:05 PM
You should be.

Ummmm.....are you implying that there are actually people out there who fail to masterbate at work? If true, that's just unacceptable.

Munson
05-16-2012, 09:05 PM
His final year was not good, going by DT standards. I agree that he had lost a step or two, and probably only had about 2 more seasons left.

Chief3188
05-17-2012, 12:26 AM
He was.heading into his 11th or 12th year right? He probably would have played another 3 or 4 more years. We certainly could have used him during the Vermeil years.

Loved him as a player, but ill be honest.....dude was speeding during a snowstorm with no seatbelt. Stupid.
Posted via Mobile Device

Would have been nice to have him and Donnie Edwards during the Vermeil years.

TimeForWasp
05-17-2012, 12:36 AM

Did you switch hands while composing?

BillSelfsTrophycase
05-17-2012, 12:38 AM
He certainly would have helped those shitty Vermiel defenses, hell they might have won a SB or two

CHENZ A!
05-17-2012, 12:41 AM

I don't generally get choked up about celebrities passing away at all, even if I really liked them.. But I've shed tears over 2 celebrities ever.. Michael Jackson, and Derrick Thomas. Not ashamed at all.

Rasputin
05-17-2012, 12:44 AM
Derrick Thomas had 6-7 QBs throughout his Chiefs time here. Joe Montana being the best out of the bunch to give us a chance for a Super Bowl but his age and broken up body didn't help us on the way to achieve that goal. We lost DT and we were still in transition to find a QB and to this day we are still waiting for that QB to rise above to take us to the promise land. Even if DT had his motor running full throttle had he lived without the franchise QB we would be where we are today.

bevischief
05-17-2012, 07:24 AM
I'm not sure any at all. He was already losing playing time and his production was way off. For some strange reason he voided his contract a couple weeks before the accident and even if he had played another year or two it may not have been as a Chief.

That is what I was thinking.

BoneKrusher
05-17-2012, 08:02 AM
i'd say he had maybe two seasons left.
he's the reason i became a Chiefs fan.

Halfcan
05-17-2012, 08:46 AM
D T was my favorite player and actually met him a few times. That whole defense used to be Hard partiers-hell they would be on my blackjack table til dawn-before game day.

He loved football and would have stayed in the game as long as he could. Everyone says he was declining-and based on his early numbers-yes-BUT he was Still our Best player and probably had 2-3 descent years and 1 or 2 average years.

I know he wanted to break the sack record before he retired, but he would have to stop the drinking and rededicate himself to get close to that number. If DT set his mind to it-I think he could have refocused his career and done it- he was amazing and it wouldnt have surprised me if he did.

HemiEd
05-17-2012, 09:02 AM

Yup, he had already lost a step, he wasn't going to be around too much longer.

Truth hurts sometimes, but it is nevertheless the truth.

qabbaan
05-17-2012, 09:07 AM
I also heard that he had voided or was about to void his last years and was technically a free agent when he died. Don't know if that is true.

Like others have said he was a speed rusher and those guys don't always fall off gradually. He probably had a productive year or two left. It's no disrespect to his body of work. A decade would be a nice, long career for a speed guy.

DTLB58
05-17-2012, 04:23 PM
He would have had at least 3 years left.

Speaking of DT... Gonzo was going through his football cards last week and he found a rookie card. He didn't even know he had it. He also has a few signed cards that I got for him awhile back.

There are card companies out there still printing DT cards. I collect only his cards and have 675 different ones. The latest is a HOF card with a Jersey patch in it. Very cool.

Halfcan
05-17-2012, 04:26 PM
I also heard that he had voided or was about to void his last years and was technically a free agent when he died. Don't know if that is true.

Like others have said he was a speed rusher and those guys don't always fall off gradually. He probably had a productive year or two left. It's no disrespect to his body of work. A decade would be a nice, long career for a speed guy.

My guess he was voiding the contract to resign a 4- 5 year deal and get some signing bonus money up front- he had a Lot of overhead.

DT would Never turn traitor like Neil Smith.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-17-2012, 04:34 PM
The one and only DT

ModSocks
05-17-2012, 04:43 PM

This.

He was ALREADY in decline.

Braincase
05-17-2012, 06:20 PM
His daughter, Alexa Harmon-Thomas, may take up the mantle of Jackie Joyner-Kersey. The girl is one of the top high school track and field athletes in the country, and she's a frickin' sophomore at Lawrence Free State. Expect to see her set a state record in the Intermediate Hurdles and place in at least two other events.

58kcfan89
05-17-2012, 07:12 PM
I tend to agree with everyone who says he had a couple good years left, and maybe another year or 2 at a declining level.

DT's the reason I'm a football fan (nevermind a Chiefs fan), though, so it's kinda tough to think about.

There are card companies out there still printing DT cards. I collect only his cards and have 675 different ones. The latest is a HOF card with a Jersey patch in it. Very cool.

There any places to buy one of these? I've trolled around on eBay for a bit & can't find one.

I used to collect cards & still have all of them, but kinda stopped when the market fell out of them. I'll ocassionally buy a pack but it's only about once a year nowadays. But that seems like a card worth having. Thanks for any help.

Lumpy
05-17-2012, 08:02 PM

675 DT cards? DAMN! I didn't even know there were that many different ones in circulation. That HOF card sounds pretty sweet! I would love to get one of those!

This last Christmas someone on Craigslist had a regulation size, authentic Chiefs helmet listed and it was signed by Marcus Allen. The guy only wanted $250. It had a COA and the guy even had a pic of him and Allen at the signing. It makes me nervous buying autographed stuff though. You just never know. Unfortunately, money was a little tight then, so I couldn't buy it anyway.

Demonpenz
05-17-2012, 10:49 PM
he had a belly on him the last games he played. He was one of the rare guys that wore a grey shirt under his pads and it would come out the sides of his pads. I don't remember if he got fined for it or not. That game at arrowhead vs the Niners. fast

Mojo Jojo
05-18-2012, 12:50 AM
A very over rated Chiefs player he did one thing well that cost the Chiefs a trip to the Super Bowl...without Neil Smith and fake grass his skills were limited.

SDChiefs
05-18-2012, 01:11 AM

Shakes head....

Bump
05-18-2012, 01:13 AM
he was just about done, I think he had 1 more year in him. I loved watching DT play, he was special.

SDChiefs
05-18-2012, 01:14 AM
I don't generally get choked up about celebrities passing away at all, even if I really liked them.. But I've shed tears over 2 celebrities ever.. Michael Jackson, and Derrick Thomas. Not ashamed at all.

Did you spend a night or two at neverland ranch?

Pasta Little Brioni
05-18-2012, 05:56 PM

LMAO

CHENZ A!
05-18-2012, 08:05 PM

No, that would've been dope though.

Chief3188
05-20-2012, 09:15 PM
A very over rated Chiefs player he did one thing well that cost the Chiefs a trip to the Super Bowl...without Neil Smith and fake grass his skills were limited.

Words and thoughts that come to mind after reading this post

Short bus
Helmet
Outer braces
Downs syndrome
Autism
Synchronized swimming
Retarded
Dumb
Stupid
Simple
Slow
Handicapped
Unintelligent
Mcdonald's employee
Gump
Sling blade
Radio
Pauly Shore movies
In living color's handiman skits
Submarine screen door
Helicopter ejection seat
Large forehead
Droopy facial features
Sy Fi original movies

Johnny Vegas
05-20-2012, 09:21 PM
DT passing is more implanted in my brain than 9/11. Really sucked and feel he could've racked up another 20 sacks in 2 years.

Ace Gunner
05-20-2012, 09:25 PM
that last season was pretty much gonna be it. he may have kept playing, but he was done.

Rasputin
05-21-2012, 05:33 AM
DT passing is more implanted in my brain than 9/11. Really sucked and feel he could've racked up another 20 sacks in 2 years.

At least 10 of those would of been sacking John Horseface.

Quesadilla Joe
05-21-2012, 05:45 AM
At least 10 of those would of been sacking John Horseface.

Elway was retired.

Rasputin
05-21-2012, 06:10 AM
Elway was retarted.

I know right!