PDA

View Full Version : Life Soon I will be ORChiefFan

Megbert
05-30-2012, 12:18 AM
So the missus and I have been wanting to leave the heat and sun of PHX to the cool and rain of Portland OR for about 4 years now. Finally everything has aligned and we are moving this Thurs. Tomorrow is my last day at work. I'll miss the Mexican food and the sun a bit, though I do miss seasons.

Phobia
05-30-2012, 12:19 AM
We're not changing your name.

Megbert
05-30-2012, 12:41 AM
We're not changing your name.

Well, sonuvabitch.

Hammock Parties
05-30-2012, 12:43 AM
You will also miss the hot women.

DaFace
05-30-2012, 12:51 AM
Congrats on the move! I've always wanted to visit that area of the country, but haven't ever gotten around to it.

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-30-2012, 01:02 AM
You have nearly 10K posts and I don't know who you are. No offense. Good luck with the move.

Megbert
05-30-2012, 01:52 AM
You have nearly 10K posts and I don't know who you are. No offense. Good luck with the move.

No worries. I haven't posted much the last couple of years. Different jobs not on computer all day. Usually by the time I see a thread. Pretty much everything I wanted to say has been covered. Or the thread has gone off the rails with 2 posters going back and forth.

AndChiefs
05-30-2012, 04:55 AM
So the missus and I have been wanting to leave the heat and sun of PHX to the cool and rain of Portland OR for about 4 years now. Finally everything has aligned and we are moving this Thurs. Tomorrow is my last day at work. I'll miss the Mexican food and the sun a bit, though I do miss seasons.

You can still get some good Mexican food. There's quite a few authentic places there.

Hydrae
05-30-2012, 06:01 AM
Congrats and good luck!

Toadkiller
05-30-2012, 06:09 AM
Welcome to Portland! Let me know if you have any questions about this place.

Bwana
05-30-2012, 06:34 AM
You can still get some good Mexican food. There's quite a few authentic places there.

Yep and the beer will be a HUGE upgrade.

Marcellus
05-30-2012, 07:31 AM
Voodoo Donuts baby, Voodoo Donuts.

NewChief
05-30-2012, 07:36 AM
Fucking hipsters...

In all seriousness, I'm not sure you could find two more opposite places to live, both culturally and weather/geographically. Enjoy. Portland is a cool town, though it's a little over the top in its pretentious hipster culture currently. Hopefully you didn't develop a sunshine addiction while in AZ, because you're going to suffer withdrawals.

Molitoth
05-30-2012, 07:58 AM
I've always had an attraction to Portland and I've never even been there.
Have fun!

Megbert
05-30-2012, 08:49 AM
Thanks everyone. I know there are Mexican places that are good in Portland just not as many as PHX. Yep can't throw a stone without hitting a Brewery. Took the Widmer Bros tour which was pretty cool got some small 'pint' glasses at the end to keep. Went to a couple Mcmenamins restaurants while there The Kennedy School was really cool although the service was deplorable - almost an hour to get our first beer, shit still waiting on the water we asked for. They Had Castle Black Stout a Game of Thrones inspired beer. I am aware of the hipsters I know how annoying they are.

Went to Voodoo, got a voodoo doll donut. Looked like a donut in blackface felt a little guilty eating the poor thing.

I like the sun here in PHX just sick of the 100+ temps and lows in the low 100's in the summer.

KC Dan
05-30-2012, 09:22 AM
You can still get some good Mexican food. There's quite a few authentic places there.I live up here and not really...He is leaving the best Mexican food behind. It is very lame here in that respect. Great live bands in downtown Portland and many places to see them though. And, of course, the brews are great with a very wide selection

AndChiefs
05-30-2012, 10:30 AM
I live up here and not really...He is leaving the best Mexican food behind. It is very lame here in that respect. Great live bands in downtown Portland and many places to see them though. And, of course, the brews are great with a very wide selection

Theres some good haunts but theyre kind of hidden. Beer is top notch though.

Toadkiller
05-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Portland is seriously lacking in good mexican. I am from S. Calif and it is one of the things i miss. If you go a bit outside Portland there is an awesome spot I like: http://portland.citysearch.com/profile/8442978/hillsboro_or/taqueria_hermanos_ochoa_s.html

Also it does rain a lot. I mean people always say that but till you live it you wont realize how many days in a row it is overcast and rainy. From Oct-july5th you have rain. Sure there may be a few days of sun but be prepared for that entire time to be gloomy. As long as you are ok with that then you will be fine. I recommend one of those sun lights, I got depressed the first couple years here.

vailpass
05-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Portland is seriously lacking in good mexican. I am from S. Calif and it is one of the things i miss. If you go a bit outside Portland there is an awesome spot I like: http://portland.citysearch.com/profile/8442978/hillsboro_or/taqueria_hermanos_ochoa_s.html

Also it does rain a lot. I mean people always say that but till you live it you wont realize how many days in a row it is overcast and rainy. From Oct-july5th you have rain. Sure there may be a few days of sun but be prepared for that entire time to be gloomy. As long as you are ok with that then you will be fine. I recommend one of those sun lights, I got depressed the first couple years here.

This post depressed me. Had to go look out the window at my pool and grill deck.

vailpass
05-30-2012, 12:31 PM

Best wishes. Don't worry, the Valley will be here if you ever need to come back and visit to recharge your solar batteries.

pr_capone
05-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Yep and the beer will be a HUGE upgrade.

So will the pot.

Going from Mexican Red Hair to BC Bud. :bong:

rtmike
05-30-2012, 04:44 PM
So will the pot.

Going from Mexican Red Hair to BC Bud. :bong:

Yeah, buddy. It's been a decade or so since I've had any but all it takes is one hit. :spock:

Welcome to the Great Pacific Northwest. It'll take a few years before your toes are webbed together.

Crazy as it sounds. I worked outside before I got hurt & after a hot summer I actually looked forward to the rain. As long as your feet are dry it's no big deal. It's just a slow, steady drizzle...for months.
And I agree, July 5th the sun shows up for the summer. It's weird, it's like the fireworks change the season?

Get in touch sometime if you'd like.

Ming the Merciless
05-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Cool man, its a beautiful place...Got a ton of family just north of Portland , in Vancouver Washington.

PunkinDrublic
05-30-2012, 06:20 PM
I hear the dream of the 90s is alive in Portland.

Toadkiller
05-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Oh and advice I got when I first moved here, never put off doing something because it is raining, youll never end up doing it.

Yeah it rains all the time up here and is gloomy gray but the rain is more of a heavy mist. You get used to it. Oh and I got laser eye surgery right when we moved here. Didnt want to constantly be cleaning rain off my glasses.

KCUnited
05-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Voodoo Donuts baby, Voodoo Donuts.

My wife flew back from Portland to KC following a job interview today. She swung by Voodoo at 4:30 this morning, stuck the box in her carry on and handed it to me at 3:30 this afternoon. Bacon maple bar and a bubble gum frosted donut. I'm not a big donut guy, but I was somewhat impressed.

jspchief
05-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Fucking hipsters...

...it's a little over the top in its pretentious hipster culture currently.
Wow. If Newchief says this, it must be really bad!

Megbert
05-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Well everything is packed and we are leaving in the morning. Kinda odd leaving the house where I've spent the last 12+ years of my life. Which as it turns out is the longest I've ever been at one address. Hope to make Sacramento tomorrow. Then hit Portland on Friday.

Simply Red
05-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Really really gay state, NTTAWWT

rtmike
05-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Cool man, its a beautiful place...Got a ton of family just north of Portland , in Vancouver Washington.

Chief fans? Hope they're not Seachicken fans. That's where we live, the 'Couve.

Last time the Chiefs were up here a couple years ago, my neighbor & I took the train up. That was a kick ass time. On the way home, the train was 80% Chiefs fans so it was just like leaving Arrowhead, everyone doing the war chant.

Megbert
06-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Made it safely. Got in about 2pm. Got truck unloaded. Now our apartment is full of boxes. And it's raining which is kinda nice. Mount Shasta is beautiful, about the only thing nice I could say about our long ass drive through Kalifornia. Weird coincidence - I was listening to Sklarboro Country podcast with Rich Eisen. He said he got his start in Redding CA. Which is where we spent the night.

Oregon chief
06-02-2012, 12:44 AM
Welcome to Portland

Megbert
06-02-2012, 12:56 AM
Welcome to Portland

Thanks man!

Discuss Thrower
06-02-2012, 12:59 AM
Really? Nobody with a "Well... bye" drop?

rtmike
06-02-2012, 03:50 AM
And it's raining which is kinda nice.

When the rain starts getting the best of you, remember, if it wasn't for the wet stuff it wouldn't be so beautiful.

How do you like the roads so far?

Another big welcome to the NW. :thumb:

Megbert
06-03-2012, 02:11 AM
Roads seem pretty nice. Can't be as bad as California or AZ for that matter. Like the flashing yellow left arrow you get at intersections. Hated missing the left turn arrow in PHX by a couple of seconds only to sit there even though no one was coming from opposite direction.

Rasputin
06-03-2012, 02:51 AM
Hmmm this thread is missing something to validate its existence.

Just what could that be?

:hmmm:

Oh yes now I remember, your talking Oregon right.

Well pics ogtfo!

like this

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k186/therabiddoug/oregon-ducks-cheerleaders-30.jpg

&
http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww155/SkullandBoness/oregon-ducks-cheerleaders-13.jpg

YW & enjoy Oregon.