PDA

View Full Version : Poop Screw Sears home service

mikeyis4dcats.
05-31-2012, 05:34 PM
Our refrigerator's ice maker quit working. I dig out the manual, and find that the previous owner of our house (who bought it in late 2010) bought a 5 year service agreement. Great. So I call to schedule a service call, and they tell me it's going to be 16 DAYS. 16 DAYS. Ridiculous.

ShowtimeSBMVP
05-31-2012, 05:36 PM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MqCXqfjNNXU?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MqCXqfjNNXU?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

loochy
05-31-2012, 05:36 PM
HOW CAN YOU LIVE FOR 16 DAYS WITHOUT ICE??!?!?!?

TinyEvel
05-31-2012, 05:40 PM
I have never benefitted from an extended home warranty. NEVER. I refuse them every time.

loochy
05-31-2012, 05:41 PM
Hey look at the bright side...at least YOU didn't have to pay for the warranty in the first place, right?

Dante84
05-31-2012, 05:41 PM
A cool story for my bros:

They gave my family 2 $500 snowblowers for the price of one.

My parents ordered and paid for one up front, they call my dad a week later, they say to come in and pick it up. He does.

They call the very next day and say to come in and pick it up. He tells them their must be a mistake, because he has the one from yesterday in his garage. They say Oh, sorry.

They call the third day and say to come in and pick it up. Same deal.

They call the fourth day - its the same guy calling my dad, mind you - and my dad explains the whole story again. The guy says, well, there's a processing error, and they've got a second one with his name on it, and to come pick it up.

My brother, who has a wife and kids of his own, goes in the next day to clear it up. The guy just nods at him, and says, Well, I don't think you heard me. We've got one in your family's name. I'm glad you came to pick it up. (wink, nod).

Pretty strange, and awesome deal.

bevischief
05-31-2012, 05:52 PM
Take a hair dryer to it and the water line. More than likely froze up. Happened all the time to mine. After the first time I called and they did that I didn't call them again.

mikeyis4dcats.
05-31-2012, 05:57 PM
Hey look at the bright side...at least YOU didn't have to pay for the warranty in the first place, right?

correct, but someone paid $550 for the service, and it ought to be provided. If I go to their site and select that I don't have a service warranty, I can get a service call tomorrow (for $65)

vailpass
05-31-2012, 05:57 PM
What make/model is your fridge?

loochy
05-31-2012, 05:58 PM
correct, but someone paid $550 for the service, and it ought to be provided. If I go to their site and select that I don't have a service warranty, I can get a service call tomorrow (for $65)

I know that someone paid for it...I was just trying to make you feel better that YOU didn't pay for a crappy service that takes 16 days to fulfill.

SAUTO
05-31-2012, 06:01 PM
Is the warranty even transferable with ownership?
Posted via Mobile Device

mikeyis4dcats.
05-31-2012, 06:02 PM

Kenmore Elite 795.7105

I've read all the online troubleshooting, nothing works...the motor on these commonly burnt out after as little as a year. It's a common issue.

vailpass
05-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Kenmore Elite 795.7105

I've read all the online troubleshooting, nothing works...the motor on these commonly burnt out after as little as a year. It's a common issue.

Okay. Good luck with it.

Valiant
05-31-2012, 07:51 PM
I have never benefitted from an extended home warranty. NEVER. I refuse them every time.

While I agree on most things.. It is worth it on a fridge with ice maker..You should get it replaced a couple times in five years with most of them..Then watch what they keep replacing and get the part numbers so you can do it yourself..

I had them lower the price on our fridge to include the five year at bestbuy.. Have gotten it replaced twice.. No new fridge seems to be safe from not going out from the reviews I have read..

05-31-2012, 07:56 PM
While I agree on most things.. It is worth it on a fridge with ice maker..You should get it replaced a couple times in five years with most of them..Then watch what they keep replacing and get the part numbers so you can do it yourself..

I had them lower the price on our fridge to include the five year at bestbuy.. Have gotten it replaced twice.. No new fridge seems to be safe from not going out from the reviews I have read..

Have had our fridge with ice maker and filter since 1999 and never had a problem with it. Whirlpool at that.

mikeyis4dcats.
05-31-2012, 08:47 PM
My parents had a side by side from Wards. It had an icemaker problem, so they sent a guy out to fix it. While there he told them if they bought a 1 yr service warranty for $90 it would cover the repair and be cheaper than paying for it normally. They agreed and signed up. He fixed the problem, and noticed the push lever "chrome" was peeling off. He put in an order for the part. For some reason the part wasn't available, so Wards replaced the fridge. THAT was awesome.

jd1020
05-31-2012, 10:03 PM
http://www.aniconplastic.com.ph/img/products/icetray.jpg

Phobia
05-31-2012, 11:20 PM

I will always buy one with a fridge. Nothing else though.

Frazod
05-31-2012, 11:50 PM
Did you try shooting it?

Jewish Rabbi
06-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Did you try shooting it?

ROFL

Frazod
06-01-2012, 12:08 AM
ROFL

It was inevitable that some asshole would bring it up. I might as well be that asshole. :D

Phobia
06-01-2012, 12:15 AM
It was inevitable that some asshole would bring it up. I might as well be that asshole. :D

Not necessarily. It's Jamie's birthday. He's passed out somewhere, not on ChiefsPlanet.

Bugeater
06-01-2012, 12:20 AM
http://www.aniconplastic.com.ph/img/products/icetray.jpg
This. Or buy bagged ice. I'll never waste my money on another ice maker, they're all worthless pieces of shit.

Chief Pote
06-01-2012, 06:47 AM

It doesn't matter, Whirlpool makes everything with a plug. Fuck they just might own GE.

bevischief
06-01-2012, 06:49 AM
Where do you live that it takes over 2 weeks for service?

mikeyis4dcats.
06-01-2012, 06:55 AM
Where do you live that it takes over 2 weeks for service?

Topeka. That regional manager I talked to couldn't believe it when he pulled it up, but said there's nothing he could do.

I told the national gal I spoke with that there was certainly no way in hell I or anyone else would ever buy another protection plan from Sears.

The part is literally held in place by 3 screws and a wiring harness. I pulled the old unit last night to see if I could do anything to make it work. It works if I pull the cover of the motor housing off, but as soon as I put it back together it grinds to a halt. Tried re-lubing the plastic gears, but did no good.

As it is a bottom drawer unit, there isn't a very good place to even put ice cube trays, nor is there much room for a bag of ice, but we will survive. Thankfully the whole fridge didn't quit....going 16 days would be impossible.

kepp
06-01-2012, 07:39 AM

You ever try to use one of those generic, plastic ice tray thingies? SCREW THAT!!

Kerberos
06-01-2012, 07:59 AM
Our refrigerator's ice maker quit working. I dig out the manual, and find that the previous owner of our house (who bought it in late 2010) bought a 5 year service agreement. Great. So I call to schedule a service call, and they tell me it's going to be 16 DAYS. 16 DAYS. Ridiculous.

Kenmore Elite 795.7105

JFC Go buy a bag or two of ice and wait out the repair. :shake:

:evil:

aturnis
06-01-2012, 08:23 AM

Beat me to it, but seriously, it's ice. Get over it.

Amnorix
06-01-2012, 08:25 AM

I refuse all extended warranties etc. not because they aren't useful, but because I figure on average if I refuse ALL of them, I'll end up ahead. Sure, item X will crap out early and I'll have wished I had the extended warranty on that, but how could I have picked item X? I would've also bought warranties on items A, B, C, D, etc., as well, and those I wouldn't need. So add up all the warranties I bought (and didn't need) and it exceeds the cost of the one thing that I wished I had the warranty on.

Saulbadguy
06-01-2012, 08:32 AM
16 days without ice, (unless of course you use trays), to service a fridge you didn't purchase originally purchase , on a warranty you didn't purchase.

Kerberos
06-01-2012, 08:34 AM
Anyone else here use SqaureTrade warranties? I have a couple of them. One on a Samsung 55" 3D LED and one on the 3D DVD player hooked up to it.

Both warranties together were less than $200 for 5 years extended coverage.

I have found that you can wait till they have a promotion and get better rates.

Mr. Plow
06-01-2012, 08:35 AM
https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtITEfiPkplULYlgM420ucnu3mvpOM8p-qScxbJyDnH5V5pY4A

Saulbadguy
06-01-2012, 08:47 AM
I will also add that there is a good reason that Sears is a dying brand.

jspchief
06-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Warranties are written by lawyers to protect the business, not the consumer.

Inspector
06-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Call again. Let them think it's NOT warranty work then whip out the warranty after they finsih fixing it.

I too never buy extended warranties. Whenever I'm asked to add that on, I always ask them if they are suggesting that their product is junk and will break. They say no, so I tell them there's no need for the extra warranty then.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-01-2012, 01:44 PM
16 days without ice, (unless of course you use trays), to service a fridge you didn't purchase originally purchase , on a warranty you didn't purchase.

I did purchase the fridge, it was part of my home purchase. True, I didn't pay for the warranty, but it WAS paid for. That's like saying if you buy a used car with factory warranty remaining you aren't owed the coverage.

The point isn't the ice (or lack therof) it's that the service is piss-poor, and to warn others not to buy a Sears warranty and get screwed. I'm lucky it's only ice, somewhere some poor bastard has no refrigerator and is being told they will come look at it in 16 days.

pr_capone
06-01-2012, 01:46 PM
I will also add that there is a good reason that Sears is a dying breed.

FYP

jspchief
06-01-2012, 01:48 PM
I did purchase the fridge, it was part of my home purchase. True, I didn't pay for the warranty, but it WAS paid for. That's like saying if you buy a used car with factory warranty remaining you aren't owed the coverage.

The point isn't the ice (or lack therof) it's that the service is piss-poor, and to warn others not to buy a Sears warranty and get screwed. I'm lucky it's only ice, somewhere some poor bastard has no refrigerator and is being told they will come look at it in 16 days.Depends. A lot of warranties don't transfer with a sale.

Like I said, warranties are written by lawyers to protect the companies that sell them, not protect the consumer.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Depends. A lot of warranties don't transfer with a sale.

Like I said, warranties are written by lawyers to protect the companies that sell them, not protect the consumer.

My fridge warranty explicitly states it is transferrable. The one on our 4 year old water heater that ruptured in March was not.

Fish
06-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Topeka. That regional manager I talked to couldn't believe it when he pulled it up, but said there's nothing he could do.

I told the national gal I spoke with that there was certainly no way in hell I or anyone else would ever buy another protection plan from Sears.

The part is literally held in place by 3 screws and a wiring harness. I pulled the old unit last night to see if I could do anything to make it work. It works if I pull the cover of the motor housing off, but as soon as I put it back together it grinds to a halt. Tried re-lubing the plastic gears, but did no good.

As it is a bottom drawer unit, there isn't a very good place to even put ice cube trays, nor is there much room for a bag of ice, but we will survive. Thankfully the whole fridge didn't quit....going 16 days would be impossible.

:hmmm: Plastic gears huh?

rtmike
06-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Speaking of water heaters, & I prolly just cursed us by saying something, we've had our original one since we had the home built & moved in 1997. It'll run out after 2 showers but to me that's normal?
We've replaced the dish washer & clothes washer in that time.

My uncle was a manager @ a Sears store in the KC area many years ago. He retired early. I went to KC to stay with him a couple times & he'd take me to work. That was a blast.

MITCH
06-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Last time I had problem it was the water line was clogged. In house approx 20 years old the copper saddle valve was clogged with rust which stopped water from going to maker. Found this out when I moved fridge from wall and no water would come from line to fridge. Turned off water and unscrewed valve. Poked small nail in valve to free the rust and water was back to normal.

Easy 6
06-01-2012, 07:25 PM
I've been seeing in the paper for awhile that they're on the brink of collapse, now i know why.

Typical executives, slashing any & everything to save the bottom line and their own fat asses, missing the point all of the while.

rtmike
06-01-2012, 07:27 PM
I've been seeing in the paper for awhile that they're on the brink of collapse, now i know why.

That's really too bad. Another American icon biting the dust. :(

Bugeater
06-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Sears is pretty much a joke anymore. The once stellar Craftsman brand is synonymous with junk now, and their stores are a joke. They don't put money into them at all. There's a Sears at a central Omaha mall that, outside of the exterior signage, looks EXACTLY the same now inside and out as it did when I was a kid over 30 years ago. And what's better is the original developer of the mall gave Sears an absurd 99 year lease for next to nothing to ensure they would always be an anchor, and now the mall is dying and they're holding up any redevelopment of the area because they won't give up the store.

Fuck Sears, I hope they do go bankrupt.

Easy 6
06-01-2012, 07:43 PM
That's really too bad. Another American icon biting the dust. :(

Too greedy to do it right, Sears & Roebuck must be rolling in their graves.

The honcho's there need to talk to this guy...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SyxWWYeXKBw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frazod
06-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Sears is pretty much a joke anymore. The once stellar Craftsman brand is synonymous with junk now, and their stores are a joke. They don't put money into them at all. There's a Sears at a central Omaha mall that, outside of the exterior signage, looks EXACTLY the same now inside and out as it did when I was a kid over 30 years ago. And what's better is the original developer of the mall gave Sears an absurd 99 year lease for next to nothing to ensure they would always be an anchor, and now the mall is dying and they're holding up any redevelopment of the area because they won't give up the store.

Fuck Sears, I hope they do go bankrupt.

Sadly, they're working on it.