PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Banned for life? Possible huge fine and yr in jail? Too harsh, IMO.

BigMeatballDave
06-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Mets fan who crashed Johan Santana’s no-hitter jailed for two nights, misses son’s first birthday party.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/mets-fan-crashed-johan-santana-no-hitter-jailed-144120029.html

The New York Post describes him as a "Mets nut" who says he "couldn't help" running on the field to celebrate with players after Johan Santana finished the first no-hitter in franchise history on Friday night.
But the Gary Carter-jersey, jorts-wearing man from Long Island named Rafael Diaz paid a big price for trespassing at Citi Field. After Diaz spent two nights in a Queens jail, a judge ordered him released Sunday — a day too late for him to attend his son's first birthday party.
"That's the bad part," Diaz said of missing his son's bash.
The Mets also have banned him — for life — from Citi Field. Diaz also could face a year in jail and a $25,000 fine related to the city's unruly fan law. Harsh, but that's the going rate for offenses that include "entering the field of a New York sporting event." Of course, Diaz's actions were stupid, selfish and a little bit dangerous.
So, man. Was it worth it?
"You'll have to ask my wife that."
Here's the thing: The kid isn't going to remember that his dad stood him up on his first birthday because he loved Johan Santana (and the late Gary Carter) more. The junior Diaz hopefully will have many more birthdays to come where his dad won't be locked up. (Divorce is another matter.) There's more than enough time for Diaz to make it up to him.
In exchange, Diaz got the experience of a lifetime, running onto the field and rubbing elbows with the likes of R.A. Dickey, Mike Nickeas and others for a few brief seconds before security tackled him to the turf. As long as that fine doesn't kick in, and his previous record is clean and it eventually slips the Mets' collective mind that Diaz isn't allowed inside the home ballpark, this isn't a bad trade. Besides, he and his son will get to watch that highlight and tell anecdotes like this one:
One jailer even showed him YouTube footage of the Friday-night antics that landed Diaz on yesterday's Post front page.

Setsuna
06-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Q

In58men
06-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Banned for life?

I'm sure it would be very difficult to get in the stadium lol

BigMeatballDave
06-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Q

Where?

Johnny Vegas
06-04-2012, 12:03 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h1Q9h__3EZk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thig Lyfe
06-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Where?

Between P and R!

LOLOLOL

BigMeatballDave
06-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Between P and R!

LOLOLOL:LOL:

Setsuna
06-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Where?

ROFL I'm kidding man. I heard it on the radio on my way to work. So I've heard of the story already. Messin with you. :p

whoman69
06-04-2012, 12:23 PM
I don't feel for the guy at all. Everytime some non-dangerous fugtard trots on the field, the security team has to assume he is there to get his name in the paper by attacking someone. Guess what? He got his name in the paper.

Deberg_1990
06-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Dont want to miss your kids birthday...then dont break the law. The End.

Thig Lyfe
06-04-2012, 12:26 PM
I don't feel for the guy at all. Everytime some non-dangerous fugtard trots on the field, the security team has to assume he is there to get his name in the paper by attacking someone. Guess what? He got his name in the paper.

The FUNNY papers!!!

BigMeatballDave
06-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Dont want to miss your kids birthday...then dont break the law. The End.

Life time ban, $25,000 Fine and a yr in jail is way too much.

Micjones
06-04-2012, 12:27 PM
So he wasn't trespassing when he was in the stands, but the minute his feet hit the field?

Kick him out. Ban him for 3 months, but my goodness.
This is some kind of overreaction.

T-post Tom
06-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Jorts=lifetime ban

BigMeatballDave
06-04-2012, 12:28 PM
I don't feel for the guy at all. Everytime some non-dangerous fugtard trots on the field, the security team has to assume he is there to get his name in the paper by attacking someone. Guess what? He got his name in the paper.So, he deserves a yr in jail for this? $25,000 fine?

pr_capone
06-04-2012, 12:31 PM
So, he deserves a yr in jail for this? $25,000 fine?

I have no problem with the lifetime ban. Asshats need to stay of the damn field. The jail time and the fine are steep though.

BigMeatballDave
06-04-2012, 12:35 PM
So he wasn't trespassing when he was in the stands, but the minute his feet hit the field?

I think banning him the remainder of the season is fair.

I wonder if he's a season ticket holder?

Dragonocho
06-04-2012, 12:38 PM
if you make running onto the field illegal then only criminals will run onto the field.

Setsuna
06-04-2012, 12:39 PM
On my local sports radio station, they were saying how when the guy ran on the Saints field he was put in jail the weekend of the Superbowl so he had to miss everything. I say do something similar. Make him miss the World Series. Keep him in jail the whole series.

Demonpenz
06-04-2012, 12:40 PM
#Now Joined Tennis
MonicaSelles
MonicaSelles: Sup guys. /me slaps people around with a trout
Monicaselles: I think the punishment is right on the $$$ LOL

MonicaSelles has left #tennis

pr_capone
06-04-2012, 12:42 PM
#Now Joined Tennis
MonicaSelles
MonicaSelles: Sup guys. /me slaps people around with a trout
Monicaselles: I think the punishment is right on the $$$ LOL

MonicaSelles has left #tennis

IRC jokes. I appreciate the old schoolness of it but I don't think it will tranlsae to your standup.

BigMeatballDave
06-04-2012, 12:42 PM
if you make running onto the field illegal then only criminals will run onto the field.:spock:

Rain Man
06-04-2012, 12:43 PM
I'm trying to envision that my firm wins a big contract and we get the call and everyone comes out to the common area to celebrate and do high-fives and stuff, and some stranger walks in and starts celebrating with us. It would seem rather odd to me.

Sadly, we don't live in an innocent time any more. You have to assume that the guy's going to do a Monica Seles or Royals attack, so you have to strongly discourage people from running onto the field. The only way to do that is to punish people when they do.

Johnny Vegas
:spock:

if you make running onto the field illegal then only criminals will run onto the field.

Demonpenz
pr_capone has joined chat
#whatsthedeal

pr_capone: Things not being open on holidays? /me shurgs.
Sienfield: Srsly

pr_capone has been kicked from #whatsthedeal by @sienfield (my bit fool!)

KCUnited
06-04-2012, 12:47 PM
I think it's Gooden all to want to celebrate with your favorite team, but you have to follow the rules.

Dartgod
06-04-2012, 12:48 PM

Ocerreaction? Maybe.

I know a surefire way to avoid the punishment though.

Dragonocho
06-04-2012, 12:50 PM
The Gary Carter Jersey earned him a perm ban.

alpha_omega
06-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Wow...that isn't your average "running on to the field".

Demonpenz
06-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Look at this. I am playing the worlds smallest Violia for this story.

Micjones
06-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Ocerreaction? Maybe.

I know a surefire way to avoid the punishment though.

As do I. Staying in the stands.
The fact that he didn't doesn't mean the punishment fit the crime though.

Should he be handled like an aggressor immediately upon entering the field of play? Absolutely. No way to know what his motives are. Now after having seen that what he did was stupid (but ultimately harmless), they should level a fair punishment.

Dragonocho
06-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Far too dangerous a tackle. Mets fans can't afford a bad strawberry on the field

KCUnited
06-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Diaz was heard screaming 'Hojo like me now?!" as he ran onto the field.

Dragonocho
06-04-2012, 01:04 PM
He wants to be closer to Lenny Dykstra?

Lex Luthor
06-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Life time ban, $25,000 Fine and a yr in jail is way too much.
I agree that a $25K fine and a year in jail is over the top. I don't have a real problem with the lifetime ban, although I question how they plan to enforce that. Are they going to have posters with his face on them posted at the stadium entrances?

Dartgod
06-04-2012, 01:10 PM
I agree that a $25K fine and a year in jail is over the top. I don't have a real problem with the lifetime ban, although I question how they plan to enforce that. Are they going to have posters with his face on them posted at the stadium entrances?

Think that might work at The K with Luke Hochevar?

mikey23545
06-04-2012, 01:12 PM
I'm trying to envision that my firm wins a big contract and we get the call and everyone comes out to the common area to celebrate and do high-fives and stuff, and some stranger walks in and starts celebrating with us. It would seem rather odd to me.

Sadly, we don't live in an innocent time any more. You have to assume that the guy's going to do a Monica Seles or Royals attack, so you have to strongly discourage people from running onto the field. The only way to do that is to punish people when they do.

Yep.

This should make the next fuqtard who is thinking about doing the same thing think again.

Brock
06-04-2012, 01:14 PM
People who run on the field should be shot with bean bag rounds.

Hammock Parties
06-04-2012, 01:25 PM
He will have a great story to tell.

I hope he isn't fined.

mikey23545
06-04-2012, 01:27 PM

Capital punishment should prevent any recidivism.