PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Anyone drive recent model Toyota Tacomas?

Buck
06-04-2012, 05:48 PM
I've told myself that I'm buying a pickup truck as my next vehicle just because of how convenient they are. I think I've decided on a 2012 Toyota Tacoma. I like how it looks and it has the best gas mileage of any non-hybrid truck.

Do any of you guys have problems with yours?

Setsuna
06-04-2012, 05:51 PM
I have a 2005. This thing is still running like it did when I bought it. I mean seriously dude. You'll be at a light, and you won't know it's on. It's so quiet. I love it. The least amount of maintenance possible is what I've had to do. Recent models though? Not sure about their durability.

Also it is not a gas guzzler by any means. If anyone buys a truck, you get a Tacoma. Hands down.

Buck
06-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Did you buy it new or used?

Ming the Merciless
06-04-2012, 06:09 PM
I got my 2008 new..

Love it, no problems....Get the extra cab at minimum...

Buck
06-04-2012, 06:12 PM
I got my 2008 new..

Love it, no problems....Get the extra cab at minimum...

Yeah, they have regular cab, access cab, and double cab.

I don't really drive people around often, but I'm not going to get the regular. I think Access Cab = Extra Cab. That's what I plan on getting. I'm looking online for used ones anywhere from 2005-present and they're only like $5000 cheaper at most than buying brand new.

Still not quite sure what I want to do, but hopefully by fall I'll be driving a new truck.

Ming the Merciless
06-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Yeah, they have regular cab, access cab, and double cab.

I don't really drive people around often, but I'm not going to get the regular. I think Access Cab = Extra Cab. That's what I plan on getting. I'm looking online for used ones anywhere from 2005-present and they're only like $5000 cheaper at most than buying brand new.

Still not quite sure what I want to do, but hopefully by fall I'll be driving a new truck.

Thats right. Thats what I got (access cab)...

I fucking love it, you CAN give people rides, its room enough even for a pretty big dude to squeeze in and go a short ways.(it has a seat belt)

I pretty much have tool boxes and tools back there, its a lot of room and the extra door makes it VERY serviceable for accessing gear you have back there.

I also like the little slidding tie-down holders in the bed..I use the shit out of them

Ming the Merciless
06-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Heres what I did....I found out their bottom line price....and I got pre-approved through toyota financial....I called the largest dealership and generally they have a guy who does phone sales....the "fleet sales manager' or some shit. So you call till you get THAT guy, and tell him you are pre-approved and you do not want to haggle....and ask him his bottom line...He will ask you what color you want.....then he will email or call you back...

In my case I wanted black, but they had a silver in stock, he offered to ship in black one, or sell me a silver for like 300 bux less than the bottom line price.

Do NOT just walk in there and start haggling, set it up ahead of time like that....

Then you just go straight to financing department, past all the NOOB idiots who spend 3 hours haggling and still paid more than you.

edit this is for buying a new vehicle, YMMV on used

Buck
06-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Heres what I did....I found out their bottom line price....and I got pre-approved through toyota financial....I called the largest dealership and generally they have a guy who does phone sales....the "fleet sales manager' or some shit. So you call till you get THAT guy, and tell him you are pre-approved and you do not want to haggle....and ask him his bottom line...He will ask you what color you want.....then he will email or call you back...

In my case I wanted black, but they had a silver in stock, he offered to ship in black one, or sell me a silver for like 300 bux less than the bottom line price.

Do NOT just walk in there and start haggling, set it up ahead of time like that....

Then you just go straight to financing department, past all the NOOB idiots who spend 3 hours haggling and still paid more than you.

How is Toyota Financial? Pain in the ass to pay or what?

I was thinking about going through my bank. They've already pre-approved me for $25,000, so I might just use them.

Ming the Merciless
06-04-2012, 06:28 PM

I was thinking about going through my bank. They've already pre-approved me for $25,000, so I might just use them.

super easy, and generally better rates than your bank. check rates and use who is lower. pit them against each othr

Setsuna
06-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Did you buy it new or used?

New. Off the ship actually. Bought it sight unseen. It was worth it. Just regular cab though and silver is slick. I wanted access cab but it's sick anyway. Also there is a regular cab that is set low, buy the regular cab that sits high on the tires. Buy manual or GTFO.

Setsuna
06-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Thats right. Thats what I got (access cab)...

I ****ing love it, you CAN give people rides, its room enough even for a pretty big dude to squeeze in and go a short ways.(it has a seat belt)

I pretty much have tool boxes and tools back there, its a lot of room and the extra door makes it VERY serviceable for accessing gear you have back there.

I also like the little slidding tie-down holders in the bed..I use the shit out of them
Oh the sliding tie down things!? Those are sick as fuck! Man I respect you 100% now because you own a Tacoma. Good man right here. :thumb:

Brock
06-04-2012, 06:42 PM
They'll probably give you zero percent if you buy a 5,000 dollar warranty! Go for it!

Buck
06-04-2012, 06:47 PM
They'll probably give you zero percent if you buy a 5,000 dollar warranty! Go for it!

u jest sold me

BossChief
06-04-2012, 06:55 PM
On June 30 last year I bought my Nissan Frontier crew cab 4x4 sv with the tow package, hill assist and other stuff for over 7k under sticker. 29k truck for under 22. After EVERYTHING (including a 120,000 7yr bumper to bumper warranty, tax, title etc) I was still under 25,000.

One thing with Toyota is that they dot wheel and deal much at all. For the equivalent Taco, I was looking at around 32,000 (with only the standard Toyota warranty) and no dealerships were willing to work with me on price.

That was the last day of their tent sale and I'd highly suggest looking into the sales Nissan is looking at having before pulling the trigger.

I dot know how willing you are to travel, but if you want to make a trip to the same dealership I got mine at, I can get you in touch with the finance manager there that will probably swing a similar deal.

The Frontier is the top rated actual midsize truck in consumer reports (the top midsize is a Honda Ridgeline, but it's not really a truck...they also didn't want to work on price)

Resale of Tacos and Frontiers are about equal as are most options...I thought the Frontier had a much smoother ride and was overall a much better value.

Brock
06-04-2012, 07:02 PM
On June 30 last year I bought my Nissan Frontier crew cab 4x4 sv with the tow package, hill assist and other stuff for over 7k under sticker. 29k truck for under 22. After EVERYTHING (including a 120,000 7yr bumper to bumper warranty, tax, title etc) I was still under 25,000.

I'd at least look at them, but I'd probably look at all brands.

Suzuki builds a Frontier clone on the same assembly line Nissan does, FWIW.

Tombstone RJ
06-04-2012, 07:05 PM

One thing with Toyota is that they dot wheel and deal much at all. For the equivalent Taco, I was looking at around 32,000 (with only the standard Toyota warranty) and no dealerships were willing to work with me on price.

That was the last day of their tent sale and I'd highly suggest looking into the sales Nissan is looking at having before pulling the trigger.

I dot know how willing you are to travel, but if you want to make a trip to the same dealership I got mine at, I can get you in touch with the finance manager there that will probably swing a similar deal.

The Frontier is the top rated actual midsize truck in consumer reports (the top midsize is a Honda Ridgeline, but it's not really a truck...they also didn't want to work on price)

Resale of Tacos and Frontiers are about equal as are most options...I thought the Frontier had a much smoother ride and was overall a much better value.

I've heard good things about the Frontier... With a Toy, you pay a lot for the reputation and name. Granted, they probably hold their resale value a little better but damn, they are expensive little trucks.

Buck
06-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Damn that sounds like a great deal for a crew cab. Where did you get it?

BossChief
06-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Carosel Nissan in Iowa City, IA.

Buck
06-04-2012, 07:10 PM
That's a little too far.

lewdog
06-04-2012, 07:10 PM
We have friends that are avid hunters and outdoors-men and have lived in Montana for most of their life. They only drive Tacomas....enough said.

dilligaf
06-04-2012, 07:35 PM
The Frontier is a good solid truck and is a viable option. You can buy one less than a Taco but the Toyota will hold its value better. My son had an 2000 Frontier with the V6 and it had 260k On it when it got totaled a couple months ago. But I've sold Toyotas for years and has rarely seen a problem with them. Both are good options.

SAUTO
06-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Rarely seen a problem with Toyota's?

Drive by wire crashes?
Frames rusting in two?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ming the Merciless
06-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Oh the sliding tie down things!? Those are sick as ****! Man I respect you 100% now because you own a Tacoma. Good man right here. :thumb:

haha yah...someone told me theyre worth like 50 bux for the 4 of them, so not to leave them in back of yer truck...lock them in the cab...LOL

So i have done that but i dunno if he is full of shit..

Theyre worth more than 50 bux to me tho!!!

BossChief
06-04-2012, 08:17 PM

Drive by wire crashes?
Frames rusting in two?
Posted via Mobile Device

What problems have you seen with Frontiers, Jason?

Setsuna
06-04-2012, 08:18 PM

Drive by wire crashes?
Frames rusting in two?
Posted via Mobile Device

You realize the Tacoma was one of the few that didn't have that problem right? Nice try JA. :shake:

haha yah...someone told me theyre worth like 50 bux for the 4 of them, so not to leave them in back of yer truck...lock them in the cab...LOL

So i have done that but i dunno if he is full of shit..

Theyre worth more than 50 bux to me tho!!!
For reals? Dang. I need to lock that shit up. When I first got them, I was like..."What is this crap?" Then I used them and was like...:whackit:

Brock
06-04-2012, 08:20 PM
You realize the Tacoma was one of the few that didn't have that problem right? Nice try JA. :shake:

I don't believe there ever was a problem, but yes, the Tacoma had reports of unintended acceleration too.

Ming the Merciless
06-04-2012, 08:21 PM

For reals? Dang. I need to lock that shit up. When I first got them, I was like..."What is this crap?" Then I used them and was like...:whackit:

He was trying to say people look for them and snag them out of the back of trucks...like they are gold .....

He scared me enough so i do it, but i dunno....LOL

Ming the Merciless
06-04-2012, 08:22 PM
I don't believe there ever was a problem, but yes, the Tacoma had reports of unintended acceleration too.

I don't think there was anything verified....i think there were people trying to jump on the bandwagon law suits, the majority of which were completely bogus.

BossChief
06-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Also, if you aren't gonna use it as a traditional truck a lot...test drive a Honda Ridgeline.

They are very nice, great gas mileage, a cool under bed storage compartment and the tailgate opens to the side and traditionally.

Definitely test drive one before you you finalize a sale.

dilligaf
06-04-2012, 08:45 PM

Drive by wire crashes?
Frames rusting in two?
Posted via Mobile Device

NASA scientists couldn't find one problem with the electronics in a Toyota. And I've never seen a frame anywhere close to rusted in two.

Buck
06-07-2012, 12:18 PM
I've been researching used prices for 2006-2011 and god damn these things hold their value. I'm pretty sure that I'll get a better deal if i just buy new.

I want a Magnetic Gray 2.7L Prerunner with Access Cab. Sort of hard to find.

There's a 2010 for sale with bigger tires than stock and some cool black rims for $22k. Or I can get a new one stock for $25k. Haven't been able to find one with my color preference though. May have to go with White. White looks slick too.

I may decide to go V6 4x4, but I don't really see me needing it and I want the better gas mileage.

BossChief
06-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Just buy new. The rate will be lower.

FYI a total base model frontier is already an access cab pickup and is probably 4k less. They don't make em with a regular cab

tooge
06-07-2012, 12:27 PM
In with the Tacoma. I have a 2009 with the full cab and short bed. 4x4 with the TRD package. It's been a solid truck. Previously, I had an F150, and to be honest, I liked it more. It got horrid gas mileage then, so I dumped it.

Setsuna
06-07-2012, 01:28 PM
I've been researching used prices for 2006-2011 and god damn these things hold their value. I'm pretty sure that I'll get a better deal if i just buy new.

There's a 2010 for sale with bigger tires than stock and some cool black rims for $22k. Or I can get a new one stock for $25k. Haven't been able to find one with my color preference though. May have to go with White. White looks slick too.

I may decide to go V6 4x4, but I don't really see me needing it and I want the better gas mileage.

I'd go with blue or navy blue. Can't go wrong.

Radar Chief
06-07-2012, 03:41 PM
NASA scientists couldn't find one problem with the electronics in a Toyota. And I've never seen a frame anywhere close to rusted in two.

I have.

HemiEd
06-07-2012, 04:07 PM

Drive by wire crashes?
Frames rusting in two?
Posted via Mobile Device

:LOL: no kidding, denial.

Jason is a guy that actually works on them, instead of talking about them over a Heineken.

Brock
06-07-2012, 05:41 PM
:LOL: no kidding, denial.

Jason is a guy that actually works on them, instead of talking about them over a Heineken.

:LOL: A guy who hates hates HATES imports chiming in on this thread.

Easy 6
06-07-2012, 05:53 PM
If you just HAVE to buy a foreign truck, the tacoma is the one to get, its still not a real work truck... but they are nice looking, especially when dressed up with a lift kit, roll bars, brush guard etc, have few problems & hold their resale/trade in value like crazy.

HemiEd
06-07-2012, 05:57 PM

a guy that sucks import cock and hates, Hates, HATES domestic cars chiming in on this thread.

You got owned in the last one. Nothing has changed when it comes to the facts. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=217516)

Brock
06-07-2012, 06:02 PM
a guy that sucks import cock and hates, Hates, HATES domestic cars chiming in on this thread.

You got owned in the last one. Nothing has changed when it comes to the facts. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=217516)

It's unfortunate you have cock on the brain and have to sink to that level, even to the point of lying about what I like or don't like.

But then, what should I expect from a guy who loves a company that can't do better than #3 among domestics, let alone be good enough to even sniff the farts of Honda or Toyota.

So sorry the backlash against these companies you hate never materialized.

HemiEd
06-07-2012, 06:07 PM

Here you go, some facts:

link (http://www.wcvb.com/Team-5-Discovers-More-Rusted-Out-Frames-On-Toyotas/-/9849586/11315710/-/vp8ox5z/-/index.html)

BOSTON -

Toyota is hearing from truck owners about frames so badly rusted they can't be repaired nor replaced.

It's a problem Team 5 Investigates first uncovered last year with Tacomas. And now it appears to involve larger model Tundras as well.

Click To Comment |

"The frame is cracked," said Tim Gatzke, owner of a 2000 Toyota Tundra. "And down in the back here, the leaf springs on this side are so corroded that they're broken."

He said the frame on his truck is being eaten away by rust. Driven only 89,000 miles, it no longer holds power steering fluid.

"In order to fix it, you need a power steering rack," Gatzke said. "But the corrosion is so bad, there is nothing for it to get welded back onto the frame."

Gatzke has pretty much stopped driving his truck.

"It's aggressive corrosion that essentially makes the truck unsafe," he said. "I mean, the power steering rack at 70 mph. --- if that were to let go, that could be a really bad accident."

Bob Malone is another Tundra owner with the same complaint.

"You can see the frame rail is just orange with rust," he said.

Read more: http://www.wcvb.com/Team-5-Discovers-More-Rusted-Out-Frames-On-Toyotas/-/9849586/11315710/-/vp8ox5z/-/index.html#ixzz1x9hjn38f

Brock
06-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Jesus Christ, 2009? Wow, that's some earth-shattering news there, gramps.

HemiEd
06-07-2012, 06:12 PM
It's unfortunate you have cock on the brain and have to sink to that level, even to the point of lying about what I like or don't like.

But then, what should I expect from a guy who loves a company that can't do better than #3 among domestics, let alone be good enough to even sniff the farts of Honda or Toyota.

So sorry the backlash against these companies you hate never materialized.
ROFL You yourself have said how bad your last experience was with the the last GM you bought, and were proud of the fact that you cashed in on the "cash for clunkers" at the tax payers expense, to buy a foreign vehicle.

facts.

Big money puts these deals behind them, and they did it in this case.

HemiEd
06-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Jesus Christ, 2009? Wow, that's some earth-shattering news there, gramps.

Was that prior to you cashing in for "cash for clunkers?"

Brock
06-07-2012, 06:15 PM
ROFL You yourself have said how bad your last experience was with the the last GM you bought, and were proud of the fact that you cashed in on the "cash for clunkers" at the tax payers expense, to buy a foreign vehicle.

facts.

Big money puts these deals behind them, and they did it in this case.

Yeah, I hate GM. So? Any right thinking person SHOULD hate GM. Speaking of big money, it's hilarious to hear you champion GM while whining about taxpayer expense. You are one confused old man.

Brock
06-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Was that prior to you cashing in for "cash for clunkers?"

I'm not sure, what's that got to do with the shitty quality of Dodges?

Buck
06-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Here you go, some facts:

link (http://www.wcvb.com/Team-5-Discovers-More-Rusted-Out-Frames-On-Toyotas/-/9849586/11315710/-/vp8ox5z/-/index.html)

BOSTON -

Toyota is hearing from truck owners about frames so badly rusted they can't be repaired nor replaced.

It's a problem Team 5 Investigates first uncovered last year with Tacomas. And now it appears to involve larger model Tundras as well.

Click To Comment |

"The frame is cracked," said Tim Gatzke, owner of a 2000 Toyota Tundra. "And down in the back here, the leaf springs on this side are so corroded that they're broken."

He said the frame on his truck is being eaten away by rust. Driven only 89,000 miles, it no longer holds power steering fluid.

"In order to fix it, you need a power steering rack," Gatzke said. "But the corrosion is so bad, there is nothing for it to get welded back onto the frame."

Gatzke has pretty much stopped driving his truck.

"It's aggressive corrosion that essentially makes the truck unsafe," he said. "I mean, the power steering rack at 70 mph. --- if that were to let go, that could be a really bad accident."

Bob Malone is another Tundra owner with the same complaint.

"You can see the frame rail is just orange with rust," he said.

Read more: http://www.wcvb.com/Team-5-Discovers-More-Rusted-Out-Frames-On-Toyotas/-/9849586/11315710/-/vp8ox5z/-/index.html#ixzz1x9hjn38f

It's a good thing I live in San Diego and not Boston I guess.

Doubt that my car would ever rust out here.

Otter
Been driving one for over a year now and love it. No problems what so ever. I've had my frame treated 2x for rust prevention already. That's something you have to watch but besides that their bullet proof from my experience.

DomerNKC
burt can sell you a tacoma in kck.

HemiEd
06-07-2012, 06:25 PM
I'm not sure, what's that got to do with the shitty quality of Dodges? Who mentioned Dodge in this thread besides you? My personal experience with them has been excellent, and I have a pretty large sample size being an old grandpa.

Yeah, I hate GM. So? Any right thinking person SHOULD hate GM. Speaking of big money, it's hilarious to hear you champion GM while whining about taxpayer expense. You are one confused old man.
The confused person is the one that thinks it is a good idea to subsidize a foreign company with tax dollars.

It's a good thing I live in San Diego and not Boston I guess.

Doubt that my car would ever rust out here.

They have probably fixed the problem by now Buck, the only reason I posted it is due to someone saying they hadn't seen one and Radar said he had.

So I decided to provide some information on what they were talking about.

In Toyota's defense, they stepped up to the plate and took care of people with that problem.

Frosty
06-07-2012, 07:08 PM
In 4x4 trim, all of the "small" trucks get shitty enough mileage that you might as well just get a fullsize. There isn't much difference in price either, if you are careful with the option list.

I wish the manufacturers would bring back a true small 4x4 truck that got good mileage. My dad had a diesel Isuzu P'up in the early 80's. It was slower than hell but got in the mid-30's all day long, even four wheelin'. He had several S-10's that also got around 30. You are lucky to break 20 mpg now. :shake:

SAUTO
06-07-2012, 07:47 PM

I think you can find pics somewhere.

Hell I think I saw some here sometime or another.

put truck on lift. Lift front wheels and can, but rear wheels and bed stay on ground.

Lol. I do this shit every day, many cars a year. MANY. trust me on this, I don't need to sound good selling them, do you?
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
06-07-2012, 07:52 PM
And I will say I don't dislike any car manufacturer, I make the same money hourly on all of them. I just find it amusing that a SALESMAN says he hasn't seen ANY issues with the cars he sells, which have had issues that were pretty serious in the last few years, but that is a typical salesman.
Posted via Mobile Device

Easy 6
06-07-2012, 08:06 PM
And I will say I don't dislike any car manufacturer, I make the same money hourly on all of them. I just find it amusing that a SALESMAN says he hasn't seen ANY issues with the cars he sells, which have had issues that were pretty serious in the last few years, but that is a typical salesman.
Posted via Mobile Device

Personally, i really havent seen that many of them, but the ones i have are in great shape & sell very fast.

Its considered a toy truck, but still the best overall offering from any asian maker, so if you find a good one, it should be a runner for you for a long time.

Tylerthigpen!1!
06-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

In toyota's defense, they have stepped up and replaced the vehicles. I think they had a rust problem in the late 90's/early 2000's and put a notice out to the owners. If there was significant rust, then the owners got something like 150% of the KBB excellent value. That alone would sell me on toyota.

dilligaf
06-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

My post said rarely. And it's true. I've sold many brands over the years and Honda and Toyota have less problems than the others, in my experience. Has Toyota had problems...yes. Has every brand...yes. But I've never said that Toyotas were flawless.

tredadda
06-07-2012, 10:35 PM
I have a 2001 Tacoma that I bought new and it now has over 100,000 miles on it. It still runs like a champ. Best vehicle I ever owned. It is sad I might have to get rid of it though.

morphius
06-07-2012, 10:40 PM
The confused person is the one that thinks it is a good idea to subsidize a foreign company with tax dollars.

You mean like Fiat? :D

HemiEd
06-07-2012, 11:23 PM
You mean like Fiat? :D

That was a gift, for darn sure. No doubt about it. :mad:

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-07-2012, 11:27 PM
I've owned 2 Tacomas. The first caught fire and burned up due to a mechanics error... long story. The second I had to sell after I got divorced and had new debt. Loved them both and will buy one again. Great trucks.

kepp
06-08-2012, 08:24 AM
I have a 2005. This thing is still running like it did when I bought it. I mean seriously dude. You'll be at a light, and you won't know it's on. It's so quiet. I love it. The least amount of maintenance possible is what I've had to do. Recent models though? Not sure about their durability.

Also it is not a gas guzzler by any means. If anyone buys a truck, you get a Tacoma. Hands down.

I also have a 2005 - 4x4 double cab. It still runs perfectly and have never had any problems.

Buck
02-23-2013, 04:35 PM
So I ended up going used and I just bought a 2006 RWD Access Cab for $19,300.

It has 27k miles on it because the previous owner was overseas.

Pretty happy.

lewdog
02-23-2013, 04:37 PM

Pretty happy.

How do your balls feel?

Buck
02-23-2013, 04:40 PM
How do your balls feel?

Much better. When I got off work, I went to a car dealership instead of the doctor. We'll see if that was a mistake.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-23-2013, 04:47 PM

I don't know shit about the truck, but I will say if they hold their value to only 3k in depreciation over 3 years, this is one of the ONLY instances in which you'll save money by buying new. The reason is you can get lower financing through Toyota than you can through a traditional bank and the interest alone should save you 3k over the lifetime of the loan. Adding that you get no miles on it, stretching the factory warranty, it's really the best bet. And I generally never advocate buying brand new.

Buck
02-23-2013, 08:21 PM
I don't know shit about the truck, but I will say if they hold their value to only 3k in depreciation over 3 years, this is one of the ONLY instances in which you'll save money by buying new. The reason is you can get lower financing through Toyota than you can through a traditional bank and the interest alone should save you 3k over the lifetime of the loan. Adding that you get no miles on it, stretching the factory warranty, it's really the best bet. And I generally never advocate buying brand new.

Well it's a little late for that lol. In 6 years, I'll sell this one for $10k - $15k and buy a new one.

Here it is, I want to go w/ black rims, but I don't know if that would make the chrome trim look stupid.

http://i.imgur.com/DHEhJNu.jpg

tooge
02-23-2013, 08:33 PM
I had an 09 and traded it in for a new one 6 months ago. No issues. Good trucks

Ming the Merciless
02-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Haha! Same exact truck as mine. Excellent choice in color, stays pretty clean with minimal washing.....Congrats.

Buck
02-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Haha! Same exact truck as mine. Excellent choice in color, stays pretty clean with minimal washing.....Congrats.

Thanks.

Any advice?

Ming the Merciless
02-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Thanks.

Any advice?

I got mine in 2008.......Haven't had to do shit except the regularly scheduled stuff....

A guy told me to lock up the sliding tie down holders, and not leave them in the slide rails (which i did for like 2 years before that) because they sell them for like 20 bucks each....so if yours are in the back, maybe slide them out and keep them in the box under the back seat....and get some decent tie downs if you dont have any, keep them in your truck.....friggin SO handy. And **** bunjee cord.....

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200344925_200344925

I use my truck as a work truck, so I have tool box and a tool cabinet in the back, so i can open my door and have more tool storage, but that probably might not apply to you.....

Shit other than that...nothing man.....great purchase IMO...

heres a couple links i just found while putzing around:

http://www.etrailer.com/popular/Toyota/Tacoma <--- accessories

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/114001-bed-rails-attachments.html <----- how to build stuff for your rail system in your truck bed, like a kayak holder or bike holder etc

http://www.autoanything.com/hitch-bed-accessories/10A10041.aspx <---more accessories

Mr. Flopnuts
02-25-2013, 07:26 AM
Well it's a little late for that lol. In 6 years, I'll sell this one for $10k - $15k and buy a new one.

Here it is, I want to go w/ black rims, but I don't know if that would make the chrome trim look stupid.

http://i.imgur.com/DHEhJNu.jpg

Heh, regardless that's a nice ride bro! Is it the 2010 you were talking about?

Mr. Flopnuts
02-25-2013, 07:28 AM

Pretty happy.

LOL, yeah my dumbass JUST noticed that you originally started this thread last June. Love the fact that it has low miles.

R8RFAN
02-25-2013, 07:29 AM
another great thing about a toyota truck is you can put 200k on it and still get a mint for it when you sell it

Buck
02-25-2013, 07:37 AM
another great thing about a toyota truck is you can put 200k on it and still get a mint for it when you sell it

Yep. Probably the #1 reason I went with a Tacoma. Drive it for 6 years, sell it, and get a new one for 10 more G's.

Exoter175
02-25-2013, 07:40 AM
Not to mention they are damned near bullet proof. Anybody remember the 22RE from back to the future? LOVE that truck. That, and Top Gear (UK, the only one worth watching) couldn't blow it up, and they tried. They dropped that 22RE Hilux from a helicopter, put it on top of a 10ish story building and blew the building up, truck ran just fine, sank it in the ocean for 12-24 hours, pulled it out, pulled the water out, started it right up. Toyota trucks are just tanks! Especially the 4 cylinder versions.

Imon Yourside
02-25-2013, 07:42 AM

Toyota Financial has been incredible for me, no hassles and I got 0.9 financing fairly easy. Have 2 payments left on my Prius.

Buck
02-25-2013, 07:48 AM
My credit score is pretty good (782), but since its used they offered me 5.9%

I got an option contract so today I'm going to my credit union to get a 6 year at 4.9 (or possibly better with my good credit).

Buck
02-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Should I be worried about this? Its only in the outermost edge of the tire.

http://www.imgur.com/ltZgGe9.jpeg

Buck
02-25-2013, 02:23 PM
New tires are my #1 priority, I just don't know how many these have left. Never dealt with such big tires before.

Radar Chief
02-25-2013, 02:43 PM
New tires are my #1 priority, I just don't know how many these have left. Never dealt with such big tires before.

How big?

Buck
02-25-2013, 08:16 PM
How big?

265/70/R16

Going to look into new wheels and 265/75/R17s if there is such a thing.

Mosbonian
02-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Buck...I know you were looking for newer model Tacoma's but I thought I would chime in....

I bought my 2002 Tacoma when they called it a QuadCab....all I have had to do is do the regular maintenance on it and it still runs like the first month I drove it. I have 140k miles on it and I have put all but 25 miles on it. It's a 4 cylinder and is great on gas mileage.

My daughter wants it when I buy my new truck in a couple of years.....and I would trust that it would keep her safe.

lewdog
02-25-2013, 08:52 PM
Tint the windows on that thing and it be fly Buck! I really like that truck, makes me want one.

Congrats again!

Ming the Merciless
02-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Have 2 payments left on my Prius.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL :LOL:

http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/prius-repellent1.jpg

Buck
02-25-2013, 10:11 PM
Alright, I just changed my mind. I'm going to get my current rims powder coated black like this guy's. I don't need to spend $600-$700 on new rims when these look good.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/c0astie31/IMAG0068.jpg

Now I don't have to worry about upgrading tire size and I'm going to just get some new tires after my 2nd paycheck from now (4 weeks). Hopefully the tires I have now last til then.

Dayze
02-26-2013, 01:28 AM
Definitely time for tires. You're at the wear bars. I mean they won't explode tomorrow or anything, but probably would last another 1k miles or two.
And be sure to get a full alignment. Looks like the current ones are showing a bad alignment.

ThaVirus
02-26-2013, 02:31 AM
Spending money on superfluous bullshit for your car is fucking dumb.

TribalElder
02-26-2013, 02:44 AM
Spray paint the rims if your going for that flat black rapper rim look

15 bucks tops

Buck
02-26-2013, 07:24 AM
Definitely time for tires. You're at the wear bars. I mean they won't explode tomorrow or anything, but probably would last another 1k miles or two.
And be sure to get a full alignment. Looks like the current ones are showing a bad alignment.

Ok yeah. I'm going to bite the bullet and buy them this week.

Discount tire is running a promotion where if you buy 4 tires you get either a $50/$75/$100 visa gift card depending on the cost of the tires and everything I'm looking at is in the $75 or $100 range.

Buck
02-26-2013, 07:30 AM
Spending money on superfluous bullshit for your car is fucking dumb.

You're right. I just got caught up in looking at everyone's cool looking mods online e. I'm not doing any of that stuff unless I can afford it comfortably.

Deberg_1990
02-26-2013, 07:31 AM
I really love the Tundras....but damn, 40,000 grand for a truck is steep.

KCFaninSEA
02-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Chevy....American made

Frosty
02-26-2013, 09:53 AM
My Chevy Silverado was built in Canada. Tacomas are built in Texas. :hmmm:

ThatRaceCardGuy
02-26-2013, 09:54 AM
I really love the Tundras....but damn, 40,000 grand for a truck is steep.

Tundras are worth every penny of that too. Best full size truck I ever owned. I purchased my 2010 Tundra used for $19500 with only 33k miles.

vhttp://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll160/kc07charger/IMAG0351.jpg

Other trucks Ive owned. ..wish I would of never gotten rid of this with all of the recent snow lol
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll160/kc07charger/IMAG0071.jpg
My dodge
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll160/kc07charger/dodgeouttheshop001.jpg
My other two door tahoe
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll160/kc07charger/IMG00402.jpg
And a shit tone of K-5 blazers , and full size broncos..miss those trucks.

Radar Chief
02-26-2013, 10:19 AM
265/70/R16

Basically 31X10.5" tires. Stock size?

Going to look into new wheels and 265/75/R17s if there is such a thing.

This would be about the same as a 33X10.5, or an increase of 2" diameter. Unless you have the spare room in the wheel wells, plan to recallibrate your speedometer and willing to accept worse gas mileage this is a bad idea.

Buck
02-26-2013, 11:03 AM

This would be about the same as a 33X10.5, or an increase of 2" diameter. Unless you have the spare room in the wheel wells, plan to recallibrate your speedometer and willing to accept worse gas mileage this is a bad idea.

Stock for this car is 265/70 R16

I ended up going for 265/75 R16 BFGs for $680 after rebate.

I guess we'll see how the MPG is.

Buck
02-26-2013, 07:40 PM
Really happy w/ Discount Tire. They don't do alignment, so I have to go get that done tomorrow for an extra $59. Feel safer already though.

Frosty
02-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Really happy w/ Discount Tire. They don't do alignment, so I have to go get that done tomorrow for an extra $59. Feel safer already though.

I got a new set of tires for my Subie last Saturday and was pleasantly surprised by the $75 rebate. That put my tires at $170 less than I could have bought a similar set locally. Good service too.

teedubya
02-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Hey Buck, or whatever the fuck your name is this season. Nice truck.

TribalElder
02-26-2013, 08:15 PM
I got a new set of tires for my Subie last Saturday and was pleasantly surprised by the $75 rebate. That put my tires at $170 less than I could have bought a similar set locally. Good service too.

What kind did you get?

I roll with the continental extreme contact DWS on mine. Had them a few months and would definitely recommend. They have been kick ass in rain and snow so far. Another subie buddy told me about them and they have been the shiznit

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS

Frosty
02-26-2013, 08:35 PM
What kind did you get?

I roll with the continental extreme contact DWS on mine. Had them a few months and would definitely recommend. They have been kick ass in rain and snow so far. Another subie buddy told me about them and they have been the shiznit

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS

Bridgestone Ecopia EP422

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Ecopia+EP422

I have snow tires so wanted something that would help improve my mileage over my old summer tires. I really like these so far. They are super quiet, my mileage went up about 4 mpg (over my snows; I have to wait until it's warmer to see how they do over my previous summer tires) and they handled the 3" of slush I ran into the other day. With the rebate, they came out to $525 for the set, including tax.

2bikemike
02-26-2013, 08:38 PM

I went from 265/70/17 to a 295/70/17 on my FJ and there was a 3 MPH shift the original reading was 1 MPH high and with the tire change it was -2 low, Not a real big difference so I didn't recalibrate. I don't know how it is with Tacos but according to the forums, most FJ's read a little high with stock tire size.

I won't even bring up mileage, suffice it to say it pretty much sucks, but it wasn't really great to begin with. And it wasn't just the tires that killed it. The truck is basically a brick.

Toyota trucks aren't the greatest at sipping gas, they like a bit bigger drinks.

Macroach
02-26-2013, 08:47 PM

edit this is for buying a new vehicle, YMMV on used

Are you near Sacramento? Which dealership did you use? Just curious - I'm going to give your method a try.

2bikemike
02-26-2013, 08:56 PM
Are you near Sacramento? Which dealership did you use? Just curious - I'm going to give your method a try.

I did the same thing with Toyota of Escondido. I think it works everywhere. Just do your home work. There are a few websites like Edmunds and True Car that will give you an idea of what constitutes a good deal.

Radar Chief
02-26-2013, 09:34 PM

Is about a 32X10.5 tire. Same thing but it won't feel as dramatic. Personally I'd have stuck with stock size tires, it's what your drive-train was geared to handle.

Radar Chief
02-26-2013, 09:48 PM
I went from 265/70/17

31.6"X10.43"

to a 295/70/17

33.26"X11.61"

on my FJ and there was a 3 MPH shift the original reading was 1 MPH high and with the tire change it was -2 low, Not a real big difference so I didn't recalibrate. I don't know how it is with Tacos but according to the forums, most FJ's read a little high with stock tire size.

I won't even bring up mileage, suffice it to say it pretty much sucks, but it wasn't really great to begin with. And it wasn't just the tires that killed it. The truck is basically a brick.

Toyota trucks aren't the greatest at sipping gas, they like a bit bigger drinks.

I'll take your word for the rest of this.

Buck
02-26-2013, 10:14 PM
Is about a 32X10.5 tire. Same thing but it won't feel as dramatic. Personally I'd have stuck with stock size tires, it's what your drive-train was geared to handle.

Yeah, but this was the best reviewed tire in my price range for either size and loads of people have commented on Tacoma World that this size runs fine with no issues.

KCFaninSEA
02-26-2013, 10:44 PM
My Chevy Silverado was built in Canada. Tacomas are built in Texas. :hmmm:

My Chevy was assembled by union labor in Detroit. Sticker still on the door jam. Toyota's assembled in a right to work (for less) state while paying a hard working American barely minimum wage to send all the profits to a foreign country. Americans make chump change while businesses from other countries reap the rewards of our hard work and we just keep on buying it.

I hate foreign business. That is a huge problem with our economy.

I bought my 2004 Duramax 4 door for about $35,000 and have barely had to put anything but tires and my personal upgrades on it. I wouldn't trade it for any other truck.

Buck
02-26-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm going to plastidip my badges black this weekend. We'll see how that goes.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-27-2013, 07:34 AM
My Chevy was assembled by union labor in Detroit. Sticker still on the door jam. Toyota's assembled in a right to work (for less) state while paying a hard working American barely minimum wage to send all the profits to a foreign country. Americans make chump change while businesses from other countries reap the rewards of our hard work and we just keep on buying it.

I bought my 2004 Duramax 4 door for about $35,000 and have barely had to put anything but tires and my personal upgrades on it. I wouldn't trade it for any other truck.

Toyota has a plant in Princeton, IN that is THE place everyone in the Evansville area wants to work. Their damned security guards make over $13 an hour. So that's not necessarily true.

bevischief
02-27-2013, 07:37 AM

How many millions did they have to take to keep from going under?

Deberg_1990
02-27-2013, 07:43 AM
Toyota's assembled in a right to work (for less) state while paying a hard working American barely minimum wage to send all the profits to a foreign country.

Not true. I know several people that work at Toyota in San Antonio. They make a nice wage and are living the American dream.

KCFaninSEA
02-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Toyota has a plant in Princeton, IN that is THE place everyone in the Evansville area wants to work. Their damned security guards make over $13 an hour. So that's not necessarily true.

Where I live minimum wage is almost $10 an hour so $13 isn't much better. I wouldn't be surprised if the plant workers made $17 or so but then what do they have to pay for health care? $200-$300 a month which would equal to about $1-$2 an hour off of that. So if they make $15 an hour x 2080 hours per year, that is only a little over$30,000 per year. Sorry but that isn't a great living when these companies are making billions of dollars of profit on the backs of American workers. Don't even get me started on retirement.

KCFaninSEA
02-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Not true. I know several people that work at Toyota in San Antonio. They make a nice wage and are living the American dream.

Their definition of the American dream may be quite a bit different than mine. If they are content, then that is great. $30,000 - $40,000 per year where I live doesn't get you much. Geography does play into it quite a bit. I just look at a company, for example Campbells soup. It wasn't long ago a can of soup was $.99. While the cost of that can of soup has gone up to $2.69, which is over a 150% increase, the wages for the workers has stayed stagnate or in some cases gone down over the last few years. At some point corporations will put themselves out of business because the earned wages will not be enough to pay for items that are overpriced just to make more profit rather than distribute some of those profits to all workers of the company.

Sorry I did not intend to hijack this mans thread for my rant.

Buck
03-17-2013, 05:39 PM
What doe you guys think about the stuff I've painted?

The Chrome Badges and the front bumper valence are now black. Look good?

Factory:
http://i.imgur.com/DHEhJNu.jpg?1

Painted:
http://i.imgur.com/vbHBDF1.jpg?2

stevieray
03-17-2013, 05:47 PM

get bambi on your vanity plates and you'll be set.

:thumb:

Brock
03-17-2013, 06:10 PM

The Chrome Badges and the front bumper valence are now black. Look good?

Factory:
http://i.imgur.com/DHEhJNu.jpg?1

Painted:
http://i.imgur.com/vbHBDF1.jpg?2

Looks good either way.

Ace Gunner
03-17-2013, 06:15 PM
that's awesome, but the stock tires suck. I used to run nobbies and variations of, that got tired. I run these Cooper Discoverer tires and like them very much.
http://image.4wdandsportutility.com/f/31674556/1103_4wd_11+1990_jeep_wrangler_YJ+cooper_discoverer_radial_LT_tires.jpg

Ace Gunner
03-17-2013, 06:19 PM
and don't forget

http://ktizzard.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/truck-nutz-dodge.jpg

Buck
03-17-2013, 06:19 PM
I put BFG Long Trails on it and I am going with a flat black wheel eventually too.

No chrome. Getting rid of all of it.

Chief Pote
03-17-2013, 06:20 PM
I had to study the photos to find which part you painted. But it looks good either way.

Mosbonian
03-17-2013, 06:41 PM
Their definition of the American dream may be quite a bit different than mine. If they are content, then that is great. $30,000 - $40,000 per year where I live doesn't get you much. Geography does play into it quite a bit. I just look at a company, for example Campbells soup. It wasn't long ago a can of soup was $.99. While the cost of that can of soup has gone up to $2.69, which is over a 150% increase, the wages for the workers has stayed stagnate or in some cases gone down over the last few years. At some point corporations will put themselves out of business because the earned wages will not be enough to pay for items that are overpriced just to make more profit rather than distribute some of those profits to all workers of the company.

Sorry I did not intend to hijack this mans thread for my rant.

Guess I'll have to tell my neighbors who work at the plant here in Georgetown they aren't really living the American Dream. I'm sure most of them will feel really bad about how they are living....must be rough to be able to afford nice vacations, boats, and houses that are in very nice neighborhoods.

Buck
03-17-2013, 07:10 PM
I had to study the photos to find which part you painted. But it looks good either way.

Yeah it's subtle, but it's there. I used Plastidip. A lot of people have used it on the Tacoma forum I'm a member of. Looks pretty cool and that part of my bumper was completely scratched to shreds so it now looks better, IMO.

kepp
03-17-2013, 07:15 PM
Yeah it's subtle, but it's there. I used Plastidip. A lot of people have used it on the Tacoma forum I'm a member of. Looks pretty cool and that part of my bumper was completely scratched to shreds so it now looks better, IMO.

I want to black out my badges as well. Can you post, in detail, what you did?

Molitoth
03-17-2013, 07:27 PM

Plastidip is awesome. I can attest to how durable it is.

Eventually I'm going to plastidip my whole car.

dipyourcar.com

Buck
03-17-2013, 08:10 PM
I want to black out my badges as well. Can you post, in detail, what you did?

It's very easy, I'm in the middle of cooking dinner, I'll be back in 10 min to tell you.

jd1020
03-17-2013, 08:16 PM
I hope Toyota continues to make the Tacoma with everyone else dumping their compact pickups. Gonna be my next truck after the S10 croaks.

Buck
03-17-2013, 08:25 PM
Ok, I used painters tape to tape for about 3" in each direction around the badges (after about 1.5" overspray area).

So basically, keep 1.5" around the badge in each direction exposed.

Clean the badges perfectly, first with warm water, then dry them, then clean them with rubbing alcohol, AND COMPLETELY DRY THEM (VERY IMPORTANT)

Then give each badge about 6 coats. The first coat will have about 50% coverage. Don't go crazy on that first coat.

Time in between coats depends on the weather. It was 80 here today so I only did 10 min. If you're at 70 degrees give it 15 between each coat.

Make sure that you switch your angle of attack for each coat.

First coat start with the can angled down from the top of the badge, second coat angled up from the bottom, then left, then right, then a couple straight on.

Let it dry for about 10-15 min after the last coat, take off the tape (if you even used it, you don't have to), and peel the excess around the badges off.

It will come right off, but not off the badge.

Any errant spray comes off easy with the coarse side of a sponge and some warm water and a gentle rub.

Watch this vid. He says 30 min between coats, but that is too long, IMO.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vGBOteFrPfo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TribalElder
03-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Looks good on yours, the blue one in the vid should have left it chrome.

Window tint should be your next mod IMO

Buck
03-17-2013, 08:37 PM
Looks good on yours, the blue one in the vid should have left it chrome.

Window tint should be your next mod IMO

Yeah it's not a good enough contrast for his, IMO.

I'm just worried about window tint because it's illegal on front windows here. I think I'm going to get it to match the back anyways. $85 I was told.

Also I am going to get a bug deflector.

TribalElder
03-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Yeah it's not a good enough contrast for his, IMO.

I'm just worried about window tint because it's illegal on front windows here. I think I'm going to get it to match the back anyways. $85 I was told.

Also I am going to get a bug deflector.

I have had many tickets for window tint on the front. In mo it's 5% on the back and 35% on the front. Don't know the Cali laws but pro tip: the window naturally refracts 9% or so which means 35% tint is really 26% on the light meter. You can roll wth the windows down out in Diego so no worrie about tickets :)