View Full Version : Chiefs Siler eager to show what he can do

Mr. Laz
06-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Siler eager to show what he can do
Posted 6 hours ago

Josh Looney Chiefs Insider
KCChiefs.com
Email @JoshLooney

Chiefs linebacker Brandon Siler missed all of 2011 with a torn Achilles, but is nearing an on-field return

Four players who missed most or all of the 2011 football season make their daily trek to a side field when the Chiefs begin OTA practices.

Three of these players you’ve heard plenty about this offseason. The fourth, not as much.

Strength and conditioning coach Mike Clark usually puts the foursome through agility drills. Sometimes, they’ll sprint up the hill behind the Chiefs Training Facility that former All-Pro RB Priest Holmes used to frequent.

When Holmes ran the hill, it was covered with uneven terrain, rocks and high weeds. It’s now a perfectly manicured slope of dark green grass.

Whether it’s catching passes, running ladders or fighting up Holmes’ renovated hill, these players are always moving.

Obviously, the situation isn’t ideal. Each player would rather be practicing with teammates, but their morale is surprisingly high. Random howls accompany their smiles and sweat-drenched shirts in the distance.

But when you get closer and actually talk to this group, it doesn’t take long to detect the frustration.

Pro Bowl running back Jamaal Charles played the most of the four players last season – just under six quarters – but didn’t hide the pain of missing almost a complete season.

"When I touch that field again, you're going to feel my pain," Charles said during a media session last month. "You're going to go through what I went through. It's going to be that way for me the rest of my career."

Charles’ words were music to the ears of Chiefs fans who know just how important his recovery is to the success of the team’s offense.

Injured Pro Bowl safety Eric Berry wasn’t as dramatic as Charles, but noted the frustration of missing football practices and games for basically his first time ever. Tight end Tony Moeaki, quiet in nature, gazed toward the ground when talking about his 2011 season that never got past the final exhibition game.

Kansas City’s trio of left ACL injuries command most of the headlines when it comes to Chiefs players returning from injury, but Brandon Siler’s recovery from a torn Achilles is often an afterthought.

It shouldn’t be.

Siler is just as determined to get back on the field as Berry, Charles and Moeaki. He’s potentially a very important piece of this roster as well.

When the linebacker speaks, the seriousness in his voice is unmistakable. He’s going through OTA rehab with a positive attitude, but there’s less of a glass half-full approach when it comes to talking about his recovery.

Siler wants back on the field and he wants to return right now.

“It’s been frustrating,” Siler said following the Chiefs seventh OTA practice earlier this week. “My momma brought it to my attention that I haven’t been out of football this long since I was seven years old, and that kind of puts everything in perspective. Football is what I do.”

Siler is quick to the point.

Maybe it’s because he’s yet to play a snap for the Chiefs. A free agent signee from San Diego last season, Siler was Kansas City’s first season-ending injury casualty when his Achilles blew during a night practice at Arrowhead Stadium in late August.

“That doesn’t bother me any,” Siler said when asked if he feels like a forgotten player next to Berry, Charles and Moeaki. “There’s not much out there to be talked about. It’s my job to go out there and do what I do, and I can’t do that right now, so I shouldn’t be talked about. I plan on getting back out there and showing what I can do.”

Siler feels good. Really, he looks good too. Each day his quickness and change of direction appear to be improving.

But deep down Siler also knows he’s not yet ready to return. He’s close, but he’s not all the way there just yet.

“I’m just going to keep working with the trainers and follow what they have me doing,” Siler said. “I want to get back out there immediately, of course, but they have a plan for me and I’m just going to follow that.”

Other than a brief preseason appearance last August, and his four years playing for an AFC West rival, fans don’t know much about Siler.

Prior to suffering injury, he was making a push to unseat Demorrio Williams as the team’s top reserve behind starting inside linebackers Derrick Johnson and Jovan Belcher. Siler’s ability to play both inside positions is still unique within the team’s linebacking corps.

Siler was also one of San Diego’s top special teams performers, adding value to his push for playing time.

Despite not playing a single snap last season, the Chiefs thought enough of Siler to re-sign him for another year and inked him to a one-year extension in January. Talking with Siler gives you the idea that a chip is building on his shoulder. Those aren’t his words, just his unspoken body language.

When it comes to talking, Siler simply says he wants to show a fan base and his teammates what he’s capable of doing. He’s hopeful that proving time will come at training camp.

“I feel great,” Siler said. “I feel great right now. I’m ready to get back out there.”

Siler is often the forgotten member of Kansas City’s foursome. He shouldn’t be.

Tribal Warfare
06-06-2012, 10:15 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Siler-eager-to-show-what-he-can-do/b131ff6e-d5c0-41b0-a158-4177fb295f97

DaKCMan AP
06-06-2012, 10:15 AM
http://www.nationalchamps.net/2005/sub/pics/small/florida_brandon_siler_sm.jpg

Okie_Apparition
06-06-2012, 11:33 AM
He'll have a slow start
too much Charger in him

Bump
06-06-2012, 11:34 AM
heh, apparently the Ravens have a picture of Vonta Leach plowing over Siler in their locker room

Micjones
06-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Siler gives us valuable depth at LB.

Titty Meat
06-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Siler gives us valuable depth at LB.

The guy is likely done.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

L.A. Chieffan
06-06-2012, 11:50 AM
peyton manning

DaKCMan AP
06-06-2012, 12:00 PM
The guy is likely done.

His talent was never centered around speed or size or athletic ability. His strengths were instincts and technique which improve his chance of regaining form, IMO.

Micjones
06-06-2012, 12:20 PM
The guy is likely done.

I doubt that seriously. He's a smart football player who should still be able to contribute to that corps.

Setsuna
06-06-2012, 12:22 PM
His talent was never centered around speed or size or athletic ability. His strengths were instincts and technique which improve his chance of regaining form, IMO.

Like Spikes.

Titty Meat
06-06-2012, 12:36 PM
I doubt that seriously. He's a smart football player who should still be able to contribute to that corps.

Mike maslowski was a smart football player too but the fact is when you're a limited player to begin with the chances of being productive after injury are even smaller. An Achilles injury is one of the hardest to comeback from.

Micjones
06-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Mike maslowski was a smart football player too but the fact is when you're a limited player to begin with the chances of being productive after injury are even smaller. An Achilles injury is one of the hardest to comeback from.

Remember though, Maslowski racked up that 162 tackle season after tearing up his knee for the first time ('01).

rageeumr
06-06-2012, 01:07 PM
I think I had unrealistic expectations for Siler last year that he probably wouldn't have lived up to, even if healthy. If he can provide decent depth, I'll be happy.

saphojunkie
06-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Remember though, Maslowski racked up that 162 tackle season after tearing up his knee for the first time ('01).

ACL is not the same as Achilles.

The numbers on Achilles ruptures/tears are staggering. Guys just don't come back from them like they do other injuries.

saphojunkie
06-06-2012, 02:42 PM
From the Suggs thread:

http://www.lowerextremityreview.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

whoman69
06-06-2012, 03:11 PM
From the Suggs thread:

http://www.lowerextremityreview.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

I think I need the cliff notes