PDA

View Full Version : Life Salmon, Idaho.....talk to me.........

Bwana
06-08-2012, 06:19 PM
So does anyone know anything about this area? Fishing, drove though, lived there? If would seem an opportunity has presented itself in the future (fishing lodge) and I want to hear a little more about the area, first hand, if possible.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRcqQpjYMdvPyeggQ60CIoUbx6xm3wkph2YLO_3WMv8HoZIFEB8Q

lewdog
06-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Weird but in my drives through Idaho I never made it to Salmon River. Pictures look amazing with the Sawtooth mountains though! I fucking love the Snake river though...so damn amazing.

Bwana
06-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Weird but in my drives through Idaho I never made it to Salmon River. Pictures look amazing with the Sawtooth mountains though! I ****ing love the Snake river though...so damn amazing.

Dang Lew, I figured I would have a good shot with you on this question. :p

In any event, I have to head up to Rocky Mountain Bio Labs in Hamilton next month, to train them on some things, so I think I'll head over to Salmon for a good hard look. I know someone who just bought a bunch of land and is going to build a massive fishing lodge down there. They want me to run the thing. I'm seriously considering it. The pay would be great and it's like Montana 2.0.

I want to gather as much information as I can, before heading down.

Oh yeah and before anyone asks, I'll give you guys a deal, if you want to come out and haul in some steelheads. ;)

http://flygal.lackner-buckingham.com/media/images/winterrun_guide_img.jpg

lewdog
06-08-2012, 06:48 PM

In any event, I have to head up to Rocky Mountain Bio Labs in Hamilton next month, to train them on some things, so I think I'll head over to Salmon for a good hard look. I know someone who just bought a bunch of land and is going to build a massive fishing lodge down there. They want me to run the thing. I'm seriously considering it. The pay would be great and it's like Montana 2.0.

Oh yeah and before anyone asks, I'll give you guys a deal, if you want to come out and haul in some steelheads. ;)

Yea sorry man. But on your way to Hamilton, say hi to Missoula, best city in the state!!!

Sounds like a hell of an opportunity. Idaho is amazingly beautiful as you know and that area is as good as it gets from the sounds/pictures of it.

Any yes, I seriously would take you up on some steelhead fishing if you land this gig!!! Never had a chance to fish for those monsters.

Bwana
06-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Yea sorry man. But on your way to Hamilton, say hi to Missoula, best city in the state!!!

Sounds like a hell of an opportunity. Idaho is amazingly beautiful as you know and that area is as good as it gets from the sounds/pictures of it.

Any yes, I seriously would take you up on some steelhead fishing if you land this gig!!! Never had a chance to fish for those monsters.

Oh, It's 100% landed, if I want to do it. I just need to decide. I would have full control of the lodge/bar and 50% ownership.

As far as Missoula, those tree hugging pricks, will be lucky if I make it through town, without slinging some lead, ****ing hippies ;)

Ming the Merciless
06-08-2012, 07:04 PM

that would kick ass

Bwana
06-08-2012, 07:09 PM
that would kick ass

Yeah, if I decide to do it, I will run the place and may do some guiding as well, (highly likely) been there, done that, at least with trout.

Life is to short not to live the dream, but I have to make sure this is it, by gathering a lot more information.

Fairplay
06-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Oh, It's 100% landed, if I want to do it. I just need to decide. I would have full control of the lodge/bar and 50% ownership.

You would be surprised how much control 51% leverage gives you Bwana.

philfree
06-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Game Birds or just the fish? I've always been intrigued by Idaho.

Bwana
06-08-2012, 07:53 PM
You would be surprised how much control 51% leverage gives you Bwana.

I'd be very surprised, if I couldn't work that out. ;)

Bwana
06-08-2012, 07:54 PM

You know bud, at this point, I don't know for sure. I know it is famous for the steelhead fishing and elk, but that's about as much as I know, so far.

philfree
06-08-2012, 08:03 PM
You know bud, at this point, I don't know for sure. I know it is famous for the steelhead fishing and elk, but that's about as much as I know, so far.

Seems like it might be a great gig for you. Hope it works out.

Bwana
06-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Seems like it might be a great gig for you. Hope it works out.

Thanks, if it looks good, I'll likely go for it, if not, things are going great as is, right now.

Johnny Vegas
06-08-2012, 08:11 PM

As far as Missoula, those tree hugging pricks, will be lucky if I make it through town, without slinging some lead, ****ing hippies ;)

HEY! For someone whom enjoys the outdoors as much as you do I wouldn't expect ya to shoot them tree huggers! I gotta say the place is crawling with hipsters more than hippies nowadays which is equally as annoying. Don't forget the Big Sky brewery in Missoula you can get free samples if you walk in. Also a gourmet hot dog joint opened up called tom dooley's just off the first exit on broadway next to mcdonalds. The griz dog is a chili bacon dog on a pretzel bun. Pretty damn good.

Bwana
06-08-2012, 08:18 PM
HEY! For someone whom enjoys the outdoors as much as you do I wouldn't expect ya to shoot them tree huggers! I gotta say the place is crawling with hipsters more than hippies nowadays which is equally as annoying. Don't forget the Big Sky brewery in Missoula you can get free samples if you walk in. Also a gourmet hot dog joint opened up called tom dooley's just off the first exit on broadway next to mcdonalds. The griz dog is a chili bacon dog on a pretzel bun. Pretty damn good.

Oh, I know bud, I was just talking trash. ;) As far as the brewery, I have sold the owners a bunch of stuff in the past and they always hook me up with free draws, when I make it in. :thumb:

Buehler445
06-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Sounds like a hell of a deal dude. Best of luck.

Bwana
06-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Sounds like a hell of a deal dude. Best of luck.

Thanks bud.

rockymtnchief
06-08-2012, 08:37 PM
I spent 3 months there 20 years ago and loved it. Can't help ya much more...other than to say that if you move, I'll hunt you down and run you over with my new 850! PRICK!!!

Side note...good luck in your decision.

Bwana
06-08-2012, 08:40 PM
I spent 3 months there 20 years ago and loved it. Can't help ya much more...other than to say that if you move, I'll hunt you down and run you over with my new 850! PRICK!!!

Side note...good luck in your decision.

LMAO

We'll be talking more about the area soon! We need to burn some tires off some ATV's, in the NEAR future. I wanted to go tomorrow, but it sounds like it's going to be raining, like a cow pissing on a flat roick.

rockymtnchief
06-08-2012, 08:45 PM
LMAO

We'll be talking more about the area soon! We need to burn some tires off some ATV's, in the NEAR future. I wanted to go tomorrow, but it sounds like it's going to be raining, like a cow pissing on a flat roick.

Yeah...storm just moved in, but it's nothing like WSS this week. We worked while watching tornados whip through town. I had 4 friends houses get hit by lightning and one truck hit. Didn't stop this idiot from working though. :spock:

Anyway, I'm in Billings next week and free to ride after that.

Bwana
06-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Yeah...storm just moved in, but it's nothing like WSS this week. We worked while watching tornados whip through town. I had 4 friends houses get hit by lightning and one truck hit. Didn't stop this idiot from working though. :spock:

Anyway, I'm in Billings next week and free to ride after that.

Sounds good to me. As far as WWS, yeah, they got drilled by the twister, as did the outside of Hobson and up by Coffee Creek. I drove through part of that this week, on the way to Great Falls.

Great Expectations
06-08-2012, 08:54 PM

That place looks amazing.

TrebMaxx
06-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Spent some time there back in 1990-91. Great area back then. Don't know how it is now, you never know with the possibilities of Muffy and Buffy types moving in. Saw that shit happen up at Priest Lake.

Bwana
06-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Spent some time there back in 1990-91. Great area back then. Don't know how it is now, you never know with the possibilities of Muffy and Buffy types moving in. Saw that shit happen up at Priest Lake.

That's why I need to go check it out in person. I don't get along well with the Biff and Muffy types. The douche bags that move in from the coasts and want to change everything. I have seen enough of that around here, with the Huey Lewis, Steven Seagal, Tom Brokaw types.

BigChiefFan
06-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Looks like Heaven on Earth.

TrebMaxx
06-08-2012, 09:30 PM
That's why I need to go check it out in person. I don't get along well with the Biff and Muffy types. The douche bags that move in from the coasts and want to change everything. I have seen enough of that around here, with the Huey Lewis, Steven Seagal, Tom Brokaw types.

I hear ya! There is a reason why my family no longer has a cabin on Priest Lake. What a shame.

SPchief
06-08-2012, 09:40 PM
If Bwana takes this gig and uses most of his time doing it, I call his mod spot

Otter
06-08-2012, 09:43 PM
You get your ass in gear on this one fucking pronto Tonto! Otter is gonna need an escape before he starts dropping hippies a once a year.

:thumb:

Buehler445
06-08-2012, 09:46 PM
LMAO

Man I'd LOVE it if it rain like a cow pissing on a flat rock. Except it wouldn't be like that. My country is so goddamn dry it'd be like you pissing in an empty swimming pool.

Bwana
06-09-2012, 05:25 AM
You get your ass in gear on this one ****ing pronto Tonto! Otter is gonna need an escape before he starts dropping hippies a once a year.

:thumb:

Yeah, if I go this route, you will have to haul your tail up there, to slay some monster steelheads. :thumb:

Like I said, I really need to head up there for about a week, or at least a few days and really check things out. I will do that before the end of the summer.

Bwana
06-09-2012, 05:28 AM
Man I'd LOVE it if it rain like a cow pissing on a flat rock. Except it wouldn't be like that. My country is so goddamn dry it'd be like you pissing in an empty swimming pool.

We have been in the dreaded, nice during the week and rain on the weekend pattern, for weeks now. I guess I'm going to have to start doing my ATVing on Fridays, if this keeps up.

Otter
06-09-2012, 05:36 AM
Yeah, if I go this route, you will have to haul your tail up there, to slay some monster steelheads. :thumb:

Like I said, I really need to head up there for about a week, or at least a few days and really check things out. I will do that before the end of the summer.

I'd offer you advice but I know damn well you're the smarter man in this area. As much as I'd love for it to happen just because it would be so cool use your best judgement and feel it out.

Seems like Tony might be an asset in this category so don't forget to feel him out as fits.

Best of luck brother and keep me posted.

tmax63
06-09-2012, 07:32 AM
I haven't had an authentic vacation that wasn't hunting related and in state (CO) in 15 years. I would have to come up and visit if this works out for you. Make a solid decision and don't look back.

Bwana
06-09-2012, 07:34 AM
I haven't had an authentic vacation that wasn't hunting related and in state (CO) in 15 years. I would have to come up and visit if this works out for you. Make a solid decision and don't look back.

If I decide to go this route, I'd love to have you up for a vacation. I might even have some quality micro-beers on hand and a few cuban cigars stashed away. ;)

Ace Gunner
06-09-2012, 07:52 AM
It's been many years since I wandered those parts, the east Idaho area is some of the most tantalizing wilderness in the country imo. Salmon is not much of a destination spot though, it is very very beautiful, it's just not close enough to West Yellowstone for most people visiting that area to wander over and drop some tourist $$.

I'd say if you need an investment, this would do it, since you have control of advertising and the works of that lodge. But, if you're looking to turn it into a money maker, I'd take a close look and ask questions of the commerce there.

NewChief
06-09-2012, 01:06 PM
What do you want to know? One of my best friends lives in Grangeville (not that close to Salmon), and he's married to a local whose lived in that area all her life (dad was mayor of Grangevile, etc..). He's almost invested in a variety of guiding operations (WW rafting and fishing) several times in Idaho, so he'd probably have some advice or input.

Bwana
06-09-2012, 02:27 PM
What do you want to know? One of my best friends lives in Grangeville (not that close to Salmon), and he's married to a local whose lived in that area all her life (dad was mayor of Grangevile, etc..). He's almost invested in a variety of guiding operations (WW rafting and fishing) several times in Idaho, so he'd probably have some advice or input.

I will contact you to get his name, before heading that direction, to take a look around. He sounds like one hell of a guy to talk to. :thumb:

Bwana
06-11-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm going to give this one bump, for the weekday crew.

tooge
06-11-2012, 12:09 PM
I haven't been there. I've been steelheading though and that place looks like a winner. I don't know what you do now for a living, or if you are happy doing it, but being half owner of, and running your own lodge in a place like that sounds like my dream job.

Renegade
06-11-2012, 12:10 PM
How long will it take to build the lodge? Are you looking at opening this time next year, or two years from now?

tooge
06-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Lots of little bones in steelhead and trout, plus big bones in the T-bones you guys will be serving. That means lots of broken teeth for clients. You are going to need a full time, on staff dentist for sure.

Bwana
06-11-2012, 12:21 PM
How long will it take to build the lodge? Are you looking at opening this time next year, or two years from now?

My daughter has one more year of high school, next year. After that, it's go time, if I choose.

Bwana
06-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Lots of little bones in steelhead and trout, plus big bones in the T-bones you guys will be serving. That means lots of broken teeth for clients. You are going to need a full time, on staff dentist for sure.

ROFL

No doubt about it.

stevieray
06-11-2012, 12:25 PM
My daughter has one more year of high school, next year. After that, it's go time, if I choose.

...me too, I want to come work for you...

Bwana
06-11-2012, 12:34 PM
...me too, I want to come work for you...

Well if I decide to go this route, you will have to come out for a visit. :)

Graystoke
06-11-2012, 12:36 PM

Tell me more about that lady. We don't have to many fly fishin gals here in the Midwest.

stevieray
06-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Well if I decide to go this route, you will have to come out for a visit. :)

count on it....

Reerun_KC
06-11-2012, 12:40 PM
My wife and I would love to come and visit you, especially to a vacation spot like this.

Just let me know when you decide to do this.

Bwana
06-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Tell me more about that lady. We don't have to many fly fishin gals here in the Midwest.

There seems to be a lot of them around here and idaho.

Bwana
06-11-2012, 12:47 PM
My wife and I would love to come and visit you, especially to a vacation spot like this.

Just let me know when you decide to do this.

Oh trust me, if it seems like the right thing to do (I hope it is) I will let everyone know. If I do this, it's going to be a very nice place, with a lot of extras.

One way or the other, I need to get back to living in the mountains. It doesn't take me long to get there from Billings, but I can't stand living in a city, after living in the boonies, for so long.

Reerun_KC
06-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Oh trust me, it it seems like the right thing to do (I hope it is) I will let everyone know. If I do this, it's going to be a very nice place, with a lot of extras.

One way or the other, I need to get back to living in the mountains. It doesn't take me long to get there from Billings, but I can't stand living in a city, after living in the boonies, for so long.

Understand and would trek from OKC to Idaho just to help your business get launched...

Its a beautiful place.

Bwana
06-11-2012, 12:52 PM
I didn't know how my wife would feel about it and was getting ready to talk to her about it. I was sitting in my chair watching a fly fishing show yesterday and she walked in and sat down. The show was being shot in the mountains in Hamilton, MT, not far from Salmon, ID.

Out of the blue she chimes in with, "we need to find a place like that to live after next year." My mouth about hit the ground. I said, "it's funny you should mention that." I think she is as excited as I am at the prospect.

Otter
06-11-2012, 12:54 PM
I didn't know how my wife would feel about it and was getting ready to talk to her about it. I was sitting in my chair watching a fly fishing show yesterday and she walked in and sat down. The show was being shot in the mountains in Hamilton, MT, not far from Salmon, ID.

Out of the blue she chimes in with, "we need to find a place like that to live after next year." My mouth about hit the ground. I said, "it's funny you should mention that." I think she is as excited as I am at the prospect.

Piece 1 in place...Try and keep me away!

http://www.vehrcommunications.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/shitter_full_cousin_eddie.jpg

Reerun_KC
06-11-2012, 12:55 PM

:clap:

Well done sir. I truly hope it works out for you.

Bwana
06-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Piece 1 in place...Try and keep me away!

http://www.vehrcommunications.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/shitter_full_cousin_eddie.jpg

Joe, that was the biggest Piece. The rest will be gravy, if I like what I see down there.

Graystoke
06-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Joe, that was the biggest Piece. The rest will be gravy, if I like what I see down there.

Good luck man. That looks like the life.

Bwana
06-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Good luck man. That looks like the life.

Thanks dude, I'll keep this thing up to date as thing progress, one way or the other.

Renegade
06-11-2012, 05:10 PM
I can help you with the food and beverage questions that you might have. I do this stuff for a living.

Bwana
06-11-2012, 05:12 PM
I can help you with the food and beverage questions that you might have. I do this stuff for a living.

Thanks, I'll be sure to shoot you a PM, as things progress. :)

Toadkiller
06-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Sounds like a dream job to me. Id go there in a second. Good luck, would definitely come over for a visit.

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Yeah, if I decide to do it, I will run the place and may do some guiding as well, (highly likely) been there, done that, at least with trout.

Life is to short not to live the dream, but I have to make sure this is it, by gathering a lot more information.

DAMN! :toast: Congrats on a dream come true life opportunity. I would KILL for something like that.

lewdog
06-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Keep up posted man, sounds legit!

Johnny Vegas
06-11-2012, 08:01 PM
I'd rather have you manage the lodge in Cooke City. :D

Bwana
06-11-2012, 08:09 PM
I'd rather have you manage the lodge in Cooke City. :D

ROFL

Oh hell, what did I ever do to you!!? :eek:

philfree
06-11-2012, 10:07 PM

Found This.

Cast and Blast days are spent drifting and fishing from the boat in productive water, watching for a covey of chukars on the bank, sometimes tying up to walk into the hills for birds. We run some major whitewater on the Salmon River through remote canyon scenery. We usually fish a few sturgeon holes. Because of lower water temperature, smallbouth bass aren't as active as earlier in the fall, but an occasional bass adds to the variety of the trip. Sometimes we pick up a rainbow trout.

Steelhead trout, weighing five to fifteen pounds have come into the Salmon River from the Pacific, to over winter and spawn in the spring. Set your hook in a steelhead as long as your arm, and you’ll know why they are the premium game fish in the Northwest. Taste fresh steelhead steaks grilled over driftwood coals-you’re livin’ good!
October Cast & Blast Fall Steelhead Fishing and Idaho Chukar Hunting Trips

Best of all he loved the fall

The leaves yellow on the cottonwoods

Leaves floating on the trout streams

And above the hills

The high blue windless skies

Hemingway

Zip's Tips

Don't Forget to Bring

Your Bird Dogs!

The Lower Salmon River is ideal chukar habitat Floating enables us to hunt areas that have no other access. Chukar partridge are among the most challenging of western game birds. We chukar hunt rugged, difficult, terain, but when we locate a covey, action is fast.

Cast & Blast is a Unique Sportsman Opportunity These cast & blast trips differ considerably in atmosphere from our summer trips. The combination of pursuing premium game fish and birds on a whitewater river in a back-country canyon is truly a rare experience. We take care to have things “just right” on your Cast & Blast camping vacation!

BIG_DADDY
06-11-2012, 10:10 PM

Sounds pretty awesome to me.

Bwana
06-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Sounds pretty awesome to me.

Yeah, I need to make it up there at some point in July, to check things out.

Dave Lane
06-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Looks like a great deal. I'll bet you will need a lodge astronomer to attract more folks up. :)

Bwana
06-12-2012, 05:15 AM
Looks like a great deal. I'll bet you will need a lodge astronomer to attract more folks up. :)

I sure couldn't hurt.

I may have to give you a call about being that star sherpa, Dave. :thumb: