PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Does anyone here have OnStar?

Saulbadguy
06-11-2012, 01:00 PM
If so, have you ever used it? For what?

If not, (assuming you have an OnStar equipped vehicle), what reasons did you choose not to subscribe to the service?

If not, and you don't have an OnStar equipped vehicle, what is your general opinion about the service? Does it seem convenient? Do you have privacy concerns (big brother)?

I'm writing a research paper so any input would be appreciated.

mlyonsd
06-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Wife's car had the free OnStar for 3 months. Never used it. It would be awesome if you were involved in an impact accident but about everything else you can do with a cell phone.

vailpass
06-11-2012, 01:06 PM
If so, have you ever used it? For what?

If not, (assuming you have an OnStar equipped vehicle), what reasons did you choose not to subscribe to the service?

If not, and you don't have an OnStar equipped vehicle, what is your general opinion about the service? Does it seem convenient? Do you have privacy concerns (big brother)?

I'm writing a research paper so any input would be appreciated.

*Got stuck in a snow bank while visiting Iowa a couple years back and OnStar got me a tow truck in the middle of BFE.

*Wife has used it to have a truck sent to change her tire that blew out when I was out of town(might not matter in a smaller town but she was on the freeway in the middle of the day where you don't leave your car or have a friend pull up and help)

That's about the only times we've used it other than to talk on the phone feature from time to time when we want everyone in the car to be able to hear i.e. when my parents are on the line.

Each year I tell them I'm cancelling and they give it to me for half off or more.

Bearcat
06-11-2012, 01:14 PM
I had it free for a year and didn't use it once. A cell phone with Google maps covers just about everything except the automatic crash response (if you're unable to use your phone) and if your car is stolen.

TrebMaxx
06-11-2012, 01:58 PM
I have something similar called BMW Assist but I have never used it. It's nice knowing that I have it though just in case something would happen.

Molitoth
06-11-2012, 02:42 PM
I had it in my old vehicle. Even though you don't subscribe to their service, they still answer when you press the button.

I figured that if I was ever in an accident and needed emergency help I could press the button and here is the convo you would hear:

Rep: Hi, this is Kara from onstar... how can I help you Mr.XXXX?
Me: I've just been in a severe accident, my leg is cut in half and I need help.
Rep: Sorry sir, you are not a subscribing customer.
Me: I'll pay the $12 bucks bitch, just get me the abulamps.
Rep: ok.

I really don't think she would be able to live with the guilt of hanging up on me.

So yeah.