PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Late night bullshit: I... kinda want Dorsey to sign an extension.

Direckshun
06-12-2012, 10:16 PM
I don't know why he would. He is a two-down player in this defense, and could be a three-down run plugger in essentially any 4-3 scheme the league offers. That means he'll inherently be worth far more to them than he will be to us, and we'll obviously get outbid should he make it to the free market -- which he clearly will due to Albert's contract being up.

But I've been watching the last two games of last year, and nobody runs the ball on Dorsey and lives to tell the tale. Dorsey has the largest run defense assignment on the team anyway:

1. the nose tackles don't have to cover as much space as he does, and they have to do it against guards and centers, not left tackles

2. Jackson had Justin Houston helping him out all year, who is a tremendous run-playing OLB. Hali, meanwhile, is a good runblocker but he's almost never looking to play the run.

I think Dorsey is the Right 53 kinda guy.

He was asked to radically change systems, and in two years, mastered it. Never complained. His talent (combined with Jackson) should give Poe the added help he needs to transition at maximum efficiency. He loves Kansas City, loves playing for Crennel, and is never in trouble away from the field. (The same can't be said for Mr. Let's Hang Out In Clubs Until 5 In The Morning During The Season, who we'll be franchising in 2013...)

Plus, he can play all three downs. Not brilliantly, but he can if you ask him to.

Considering that Dorsey could very easily get a 5 year, $45 million dollar deal for a 4-3 defense somewhere, he'll probably just wait to hit the market this season as the Chiefs can't offer him anywhere near that.

But if we can retain him for as close to $30 million as possible, I'd love it if we could. I know he'd give KC the hometown discount, but I doubt that hometown discount is $10 million.

The Bad Guy
06-12-2012, 10:23 PM
How do you know he'd give a hometown discount?

Pitt Gorilla
06-12-2012, 10:28 PM
We should want to sign him; we developed his ass.

Bowser
06-12-2012, 10:40 PM
There isn't a fan out there that shouldn't want Dorsey back on this team. The guy is a solid contributor, just what you want from a 3-4 DE.

My fear is that the Chiefs will insult him with a ridiculous lowball offer.

Direckshun
06-12-2012, 10:40 PM
The thing is...

If we're going to throw the farm at a team as we trade up to get a QBotF, we may not have the picks necessary to replace Dorsey while we also fish for a QB.

If that's the case, you gotta hope:

(a.) We keep Dorsey.

(b.) Allen Bailey is a three-down DE.

(c.) we move Poe over and put someone like Powe at nose.

RealSNR
06-12-2012, 11:08 PM
The thing is...

If we're going to throw the farm at a team as we trade up to get a QBotF, we may not have the picks necessary to replace Dorsey while we also fish for a QB.

If that's the case, you gotta hope:

(a.) We keep Dorsey.

(b.) Allen Bailey is a three-down DE.

(c.) we move Poe over and put someone like Powe at nose.None of those are a sure thing, but this season will fortell all we need to know I think. And I like the number of options in this scenario. We've got a lot of our bets covered and stand a reasonable chance of finding a pretty damn good replacement already right here on the team.

tredadda
06-12-2012, 11:11 PM
I love Dorsey, but if I were in his shoes I would want to go to a 4-3 team. Sadly 3-4 DEs do not get glory stats which could affect the amount of money they get. He could put up better numbers in a 4-3 and thusly make him a bigger name. We will see though.

mcaj22
06-12-2012, 11:13 PM
dorsey will command more money (not the same as his inflated rookie contract, but still way more than I think any of us expect) on his second contract than we will be willing to pay/or value his worth

some 43 team will definitely pony up that said coin.