PDA

View Full Version : Computers New MacBook Pro Is ‘Least Repairable Laptop’ Yet

Pages : [1] 2

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 10:58 AM
ROFLROFLROFL

Spend 3 grand on a laptop...CAN'T UPGRADE IT.

http://www.cultofmac.com/173403/ifixit-teardown-reveals-new-macbook-pro-is-least-repairable-laptop-yet/

-Just like in the iPhone 4/4S (and the MacBook Air), proprietary Pentalobe screws prevent folks from accessing the machine’s internals. That means you need a special screwdriver just to remove the bottom cover.

-As in the MacBook Air, the RAM is soldered to the logic board. Max out at 16GB now, or forever hold your peace—you can’t upgrade.

-The proprietary SSD isn’t upgradeable either (yet), as it is similar but not identical to the one in the Air. It is a separate daughtercard, and we’re hopeful we can offer an upgrade in the near future.

-The lithium-polymer battery is glued rather than screwed into the case, which increases the chances that it’ll break during disassembly. The battery also covers the trackpad cable, which tremendously increases the chance that a user will shear the cable in the battery removal process.

-The display assembly is completely fused, and there’s no glass protecting it. If anything ever fails inside the display, you will need to replace the entire (extremely expensive) assembly.

Rausch
06-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Even with Jobs this has been a problem with Apple for years.

I don't expect it to get any better with his passing...

Garcia Bronco
06-13-2012, 11:04 AM
That's what you get when you buy an Apple product and it's nothing new.

QuikSsurfer
06-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Yup.. EVERYTHING is fucking soldered. ah well.

Micjones
06-13-2012, 11:07 AM
This is why I'm a PC.

bishop_74
06-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Yes. Because when I buy an Apple for the wife the first thing I think of is I want to fuck with this thing and upgrade it to the hilt so she can play games.

QuikSsurfer
06-13-2012, 11:10 AM
And this is nothing new.. I can understand the complaint about the soldered SSD -- but everything else is a bit silly -- crying because you can't go beyond 16 GB of RAM?
It's well known that Apple isn't for everyone -- but don't let that stop you and your gang from piling on Apple every time they hit the news.

And in before:: motherfucker, i'll build a PC that performs just as well for $####.##

The Franchise
06-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Yes. Because when I buy an Apple for the wife the first thing I think of is I want to fuck with this thing and upgrade it to the hilt so she can play games.

It's not a matter of upgrading it right out of the gate....but it's going to suck later on when you want to update the RAM or the HD because it gets to small.

ModSocks
06-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Yes. Because when I buy an Apple for the wife the first thing I think of is I want to **** with this thing and upgrade it to the hilt so she can play games.

This.

I'm no Apple lover, Im a PC guy like most. But we're talking about a freaking Notebook. If i'm looking for a computer i can do massive upgrades on, I wouldn't buy a notebook, PC or Mac.

The Franchise
06-13-2012, 11:15 AM
And this is nothing new.. I can understand the complaint about the soldered SSD -- but everything else is a bit silly -- crying because you can't go beyond 16 GB of RAM?
It's well known that Apple isn't for everyone -- but don't let that stop you and your gang from piling on Apple every time they hit the news.

And in before:: motherfucker, i'll build a PC that performs just as well for $####.##

They're not bitching because it maxes out at 16gb. They're bitching because if you don't buy 16gb right out of the gate.....you're fucking stuck. Only have the money for 4gb of RAM? You're fucked when you want to upgrade it.

QuikSsurfer
06-13-2012, 11:16 AM
It's not a matter of upgrading it right out of the gate....but it's going to suck later on when you want to update the RAM or the HD because it gets to small.

because people need 32 GB of RAM on their notebooks -- gotta be able to run a server OS and 10 virtual machines at once.

Again, I'm with you guys on the SSD.

The Franchise
06-13-2012, 11:17 AM
because people need 32 GB of RAM on their notebooks -- gotta be able to run a server OS and 10 virtual machines at once.

See my post above yours.

QuikSsurfer
06-13-2012, 11:18 AM
See my post above yours.

I gotcha

Rausch
06-13-2012, 11:22 AM
They're not bitching because it maxes out at 16gb. They're bitching because if you don't buy 16gb right out of the gate.....you're ****ing stuck. Only have the money for 4gb of RAM? You're ****ed when you want to upgrade it.

Same thing with the iMac I have now. If I want to upgrade this thing I have to ship the fucker off.

If you don't buy the $3k "cheese grater" tower your upgrade options are slim to none.

That said by the time ram is a problem with this thing (two, maybe three years) everything else will need upgraded as well. I'll be needing a new comp anyway.

RealSNR
06-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Curious: how different are these changes from the old MacBook Pros?

Fish
06-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Same thing with the iMac I have now. If I want to upgrade this thing I have to ship the fucker off.

If you don't buy the $3k "cheese grater" tower your upgrade options are slim to none.

That said by the time ram is a problem with this thing (two, maybe three years) everything else will need upgraded as well. I'll be needing a new comp anyway.

All iMacs have a user accessible port at the bottom in which to add more RAM. It's always been that way on the iMac. And it takes the same kind of RAM as what goes into a PC.

Saulbadguy
06-13-2012, 11:44 AM
genius bar will upgrade it for you

Fish
06-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Some of these issues aren't really anything new compared to older models.

But they really did fuck up this revision of the Macbook Pro. They Frankensteined it with the Mac Air, to bring the shittiest features to the Macbook Pro line.

The thing that really has me pissed off about it, is that they removed the NIC and Firewire ports from the Macbook Pro. In their asinine quest to make it as thin as possible, they sacrificed the best hardware aspects. Dumbest fucking move in years. So now you have to have a Thunderbolt adapter to have NIC or Firewire on their Pro laptops. Fucking retarded, and it's really going to screw with the way I setup, configure, and manage Apple portables at work.

Fuck Apple for this latest bullshit. I don't care how beautiful the retina display is, they flat fucked this up.

Deberg_1990
06-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Apple = 600 billion

Clay = worthless

DaFace
06-13-2012, 12:10 PM
1. Why is this in the Lounge?
2. Who cares? Your amusement isn't going to change the fact that they're going to sell it to millions of very satisfied customers.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Apple = 600 billion

Clay = worthless

ROFL

In that case just shut down the forum, because the Chiefs are worth more than anyone here.

Deberg_1990
06-13-2012, 12:12 PM
2. Who cares? Your amusement isn't going to change the fact that they're going to sell it to millions of very satisfied customers.

This is what dorks who live in basements with no jobs do to make themselves feel better about their life.

ReynardMuldrake
06-13-2012, 12:13 PM
These things are getting more and more popular with the execs at my job. Of course the traveling sales guys have to have them now too to show off to clients. Every one we buy makes my job harder. Huge pain in the ass to fix. If they are out of warranty [1 year] we don't even bother repairing them, we just trash them and replace them at $1800 a pop.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 12:14 PM
This is what dorks who live in basements with no jobs do to make themselves feel better about their life.

ROFL

You pull the same card every time.

FYI, I put in a work request for a laptop a few weeks ago...and it wasn't a Macbook Pro. :)

CrazyPhuD
06-13-2012, 12:14 PM

I cap 16GB running one virtual machine and my web browsers so yes...16GB is a joke...it's insufficient for if you want to do real work on the box.

But that's the point apple makes decent toys but they've never been terribly functional as tools.

L.A. Chieffan
06-13-2012, 12:15 PM
If you bought a $100,000 Ferrari would you want to rip it apart yourself to put in NOS?

mnchiefsguy
06-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Can't justify the cost of an apple. Not being able to upgrade simple things like RAM and a hard drive is ridiculous given the high price of the machine.

Are apples good machines? Sure. Are they worth their price tag? Not for me, but I am not going to hate on anyone who feels they are. I fail to see the love and devotion for apple products, as none of them have ever been easily up gradable. I also don't get the massive amount of apple hate out there either. With their prices where they are and the lack of ability to change or replace components, their computers are never going to be more than a niche market. I don't think they are worth the money, so I don't buy them, but I don't hate apple either.

Rausch
06-13-2012, 12:17 PM
All iMacs have a user accessible port at the bottom in which to add more RAM. It's always been that way on the iMac. And it takes the same kind of RAM as what goes into a PC.

Yeah. My old g4 had to have the complete bottom plate taken off. That said there were only two ram slots...

Fish
06-13-2012, 12:18 PM
These things are getting more and more popular with the execs at my job. Of course the traveling sales guys have to have them now too to show off to clients. Every one we buy makes my job harder. Huge pain in the ass to fix. If they are out of warranty [1 year] we don't even bother repairing them, we just trash them and replace them at $1800 a pop.

Applecare 3 year warranty is an absolute necessity for Apple portables in an enterprise environment. I wouldn't recommend getting one without it.

Also, I'll take those broken units you're trashing.... :D

QuikSsurfer
06-13-2012, 12:18 PM
I cap 16GB running one virtual machine and my web browsers so yes...16GB is a joke...it's insufficient for if you want to do real work on the box.

But that's the point apple makes decent toys but they've never been terribly functional as tools.

Wat? What do you have running on your virtual box?

Sounds like a memory allocation issues to me.. I currently have Chrome and 2 VMplayers sessions up (one Ubuntu and one Windows 8) and I'm barely at 4 GB utilization.

CrazyPhuD
06-13-2012, 12:19 PM
If you bought a $100,000 Ferrari would you want to rip it apart yourself to put in NOS?

People turbo Gallardos all day long. So yes if you bought a $250K Lamborghini you'd probably have no qualms at all about modifying it. The point is, at that level the money doesn't matter, you modify it to make it yours or make it more obscene, or just because you can.

Fish
06-13-2012, 12:19 PM

LOL.... No......

QuikSsurfer
06-13-2012, 12:20 PM
LOL.... No......

No no no.. lets hear him out

:)

L.A. Chieffan
06-13-2012, 12:20 PM
People turbo Gallardos all day long. So yes if you bought a $250K Lamborghini you'd probably have no qualms at all about modifying it. The point is, at that level the money doesn't matter, you modify it to make it yours or make it more obscene, or just because you can.

No, when you drop 250K, unless you're a goddamn billionare mechanic, you leave the shit alone.

CrazyPhuD
06-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Wat? What do you have running on your virtual box?

Sounds like a memory allocation issues to me.. I currently have Chrome and 2 VMplayers sessions up (one Ubuntu and one Windows 8) and I'm barely at 4 GB utilization.

Generally speaking my VM workstations are configured at 4GB a pop, if I want to run two at once(no matter which OS), I generally need to shut down Chrome because it's a memory pig. But then again I do fairly intensive work with some of these. My server has 96GB of ram in it. So far I've had no issues with it....yet! :D (and no there's no memory leaks depending upon what you do large amounts of memory can be highly useful).

Demonpenz
06-13-2012, 12:24 PM
One of the most requested things we get is to put turbo's on exotic cars.

L.A. Chieffan
06-13-2012, 12:25 PM
One of the most requested things we get is to put turbo's on exotic cars.

and i bet youre like, "well, you want to look like Vin Diesel or Paul Walker?"

penguinz
06-13-2012, 12:27 PM
These things are getting more and more popular with the execs at my job. Of course the traveling sales guys have to have them now too to show off to clients. Every one we buy makes my job harder. Huge pain in the ass to fix. If they are out of warranty [1 year] we don't even bother repairing them, we just trash them and replace them at $1800 a pop.WTF? Take it to an apple store and they will repair for much, much less.

The Rick
06-13-2012, 12:28 PM
ROFLROFLROFL

Spend 3 grand on a laptop...CAN'T UPGRADE IT.

http://www.cultofmac.com/173403/ifixit-teardown-reveals-new-macbook-pro-is-least-repairable-laptop-yet/
Psssst...I have a little secret for you:

I know this might come as a shock to you, but you are not in Apple's target market. They don't want you as a customer. I know you don't like them and guess what...they don't really like you either! A true win-win scenario.

CrazyPhuD
06-13-2012, 12:28 PM
No, when you drop 250K, unless you're a goddamn billionare mechanic, you leave the shit alone.

You're missing the point, at that level, if you can afford the car(and the associated maintenance etc), the money just doesn't matter. You're car is an expression of you and sometimes you want it different or faster than the others. Remember most exotics don't come with long warranties....the Lamborghini's are 2 years 24 if I remember. Why not modify? You have to pay to play anyway.

QuikSsurfer
06-13-2012, 12:30 PM
and i bet youre like, "well, you want to look like Vin Diesel or Paul Walker?"

at 2:40 mark -- prepare to change your pants

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9IJPVjELbok?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

L.A. Chieffan
06-13-2012, 12:31 PM
You're missing the point, at that level, if you can afford the car(and the associated maintenance etc), the money just doesn't matter. You're car is an expression of you and sometimes you want it different or faster than the others. Remember most exotics don't come with long warranties....the Lamborghini's are 2 years 24 if I remember. Why not modify? You have to pay to play anyway.

exactly, this mac is so badass that if youre going to buy it and it doesnt have enough memory for you, then just buy another one. problem solved and you own TWO of the best laptops on the market. checkmate

gblowfish
06-13-2012, 12:32 PM
I've had Macbook pros for six years now. I just bought a new one about two months ago, and I was able to easily remove the screws from the bottom to upgrade RAM. Mine does not have a SSD, but I could easily get to the hard drive or the optical drive to upgrade them if I chose to. In my old one I put in a new keyboard, a bigger hard drive and RAM all with no problems at all.

Chiefspants
06-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Meh, no viruses, a sleek design, and something that has been proven time and again to be more reliable than the alternatives, I'll stick to Apple, thank you.

Rausch
06-13-2012, 12:33 PM
WTF? Take it to an apple store and they will repair for much, much less.

Most of the world doesn't live near an Apple store. There's like fucking 6 of them worldwide.

I guess I could drive 2 hours to fucking St. Louis. Navigating through that $#ithole full of lambs fans sounds like a blast. Then I....what?...hang out for 4 hours until they can fix it?

Incredibly convenient...

ReynardMuldrake
06-13-2012, 12:34 PM
WTF? Take it to an apple store and they will repair for much, much less.

Long story short, my company does not make saving money a priority at all. They just want things up and working ASAP, no questions asked. Especially when execs are involved.

Rausch
06-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Meh, no viruses, a sleek design, and something that has been proven time and again to be more reliable than the alternatives, I'll stick to Apple, thank you.

That's not the argument.

I've owned Mac's all my life. I love 'em.

I love my wife but if she goes out and blows 3 guys in the parking lot of McDonalds I'm not going to say "well she looks good, works, and no viruses!"

Demonpenz
Psssst...I have a little secret for you:

I know this might come as a shock to you, but you are not in Apple's target market. They don't want you as a customer. I know you don't like them and guess what...they don't really like you either! A true win-win scenario.

I worked for apple for years and I can tell you without a doubt (especially in the atchison stores) that you are wrong and in some cases DEAD wrong!

L.A. Chieffan
Theres like 5 apple stores within 30 miles of me

QuikSsurfer

http://i.imgur.com/aumCO.gif

Hammock Parties

I'd like a 17-inch laptop, actually.

What's that? Apple doesn't make one?

OUT.

QuikSsurfer
06-13-2012, 12:39 PM

OUT.

You mean that they're not making them anymore right? Last 17 inch model was out in October of 2011.

But I see you trollin

Chiefspants
06-13-2012, 12:39 PM

OUT.

That's okay, if you'd rather purchase a mediocre product for the sake of two extra inches, no one's stopping you.

Sent from my 17 inch Macbook Pro

gblowfish
06-13-2012, 12:40 PM
You mean that they're not making them anymore right? Last 17 inch model was out in October of 2011.

But I see you trollin

Yes, Mac made Mac Book Pro's with 17" screens until this very latest generation. Story about it is here:
http://tinyurl.com/6rvzokg

loochy
06-13-2012, 12:40 PM

No viruses? ROFL

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/11/apple-flashback-virus_n_1417886.html

QuikSsurfer
06-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Yes, Mac made Mac Book Pro's with 17" screens until this very latest generation. Story about it is here:
http://tinyurl.com/6rvzokg

I know this.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 12:41 PM

But I see you trollin

The new Macbook is the only Macbook I'd consider (can't get enough RAM in the old ones).

It doesn't come in the 17-inch flavor, which is very disappointing.

I honestly question the decision to stuff a 2880x1800 display into 15 inches. That's making everything a bit too small for my tastes. 17 inches would be preferable.

mikey23545
06-13-2012, 12:42 PM
2. Who cares? Your amusement isn't going to change the fact that they're going to sell it to millions of very satisfied customers their cult followers.

FYP.

Chiefspants
06-13-2012, 12:43 PM
No viruses? ROFL

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/11/apple-flashback-virus_n_1417886.html

Psh, one non-threatening virus vs. millons on the other platform? I'll stick to my Macbook, thank you.

BryanBusby
06-13-2012, 12:44 PM
ITT: We white knight our decisions to buy vastly overpriced, inferior equipment

The Rick
06-13-2012, 12:49 PM
I worked for apple for years and I can tell you without a doubt (especially in the atchison stores) that you are wrong and in some cases DEAD wrong!
How so?

The point is that Apple (corporate) does things a certain way. They prioritize certain things, like design, and don't put an emphasis on other things like making the internals accessible and easy to upgrade. If the latter two things are important to you in a laptop, then a Macbook Pro is clearly not made with you in mind. If you don't like it, then the solution is simple...buy a laptop from someone else.

Apple is hugely successful and part of that, at least in my opinion, is due to not trying to be all things to all people...as much as Clay and others seem to want them to be.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 12:54 PM
So offering a 17-inch laptop is trying to be all things to all people?

Bullshit.

ILChief
06-13-2012, 12:56 PM
I am guessing the 17 inch model didnt sell very well

mnchiefsguy
06-13-2012, 12:57 PM
How so?

The point is that Apple (corporate) does things a certain way. They prioritize certain things, like design, and don't put an emphasis on other things like making the internals accessible and easy to upgrade. If the latter two things are important to you in a laptop, then a Macbook Pro is clearly not made with you in mind. If you don't like it, then the solution is simple...buy a laptop from someone else.

Apple is hugely successful and part of that, at least in my opinion, is due to not trying to be all things to all people...as much as Clay and others seem to want them to be.

I would agree with most of this, although Apple is not necessarily hugely successful because of their computers. The vast majority of apple's revival can be linked to the Ipod, and the devices that have been developed from that vein (Ipad, touch, even the iphone). Apple has tried to survive on just revenue from computers in the past, and have struggled to stay afloat.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 12:58 PM
I am guessing the 17 inch model didnt sell very well

Virtually every maker of laptop computers sells a 17-inch model.

For Apple to not do so, is bullshit.

Rausch
06-13-2012, 12:58 PM
I would agree with most of this, although Apple is not necessarily hugely successful because of their computers. The vast majority of apple's revival can be linked to the Ipod, and the devices that have been developed from that vein (Ipad, touch, even the iphone). Apple has tried to survive on just revenue from computers in the past, and have struggled to stay afloat.

The iMac and Jobs are what made Apple profitable again...

mnchiefsguy
06-13-2012, 01:00 PM
The iMac and Jobs are what made Apple profitable again...

I would say Jobs and the Ipod, but it is not a point worth arguing over.

CrazyPhuD
06-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Psh, one non-threatening virus vs. millons on the other platform? I'll stick to my Macbook, thank you.

So here's the problem, ironically enough the design differences between say windows 7 and Mac OSX aren't actually very large. Neither has a security design advantage over the other. The reason that mac's have so many fewer attacks is mostly because no one cares. They are such a small percentage of the PC business that it's not worth attacking them. Windows actually is much stronger from a security point of view because it's always being attacked(and fixed). Yes you have more known vulnerabilities, but you also have many more that have been fixed too. Apple is an unknown in this regard because no one can say how weak or strong it is.

Where this starts to be a problem is when they finally fully merge iOS and OSX. iOS is under increasing attack because it's such a large percentage of the market. When OSX merges all the mac's will be exposed to the same type of attacks that are being generated against the phones. That could lead to a host of issues for macs when it happens.

Security through obscurity works....until people notice. Quite a bit of mac's security is based upon no one caring because the market is too small. Add in the iphones and ipads and that changes rapidly.

penguinz
06-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Most of the world doesn't live near an Apple store. There's like ****ing 6 of them worldwide.

I guess I could drive 2 hours to ****ing St. Louis. Navigating through that $#ithole full of lambs fans sounds like a blast. Then I....what?...hang out for 4 hours until they can fix it?

Incredibly convenient...6? LOL

And you make an appointment and it takes 15 minutes.

penguinz
06-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Most of the world doesn't live near an Apple store. There's like ****ing 6 of them worldwide.

I guess I could drive 2 hours to ****ing St. Louis. Navigating through that $#ithole full of lambs fans sounds like a blast. Then I....what?...hang out for 4 hours until they can fix it?

Incredibly convenient...I also want to know WTF you do that this is an issue to begin with. I have 60+ macs in my Windows network and they are much more reliable and easier to manage than the "PC's".

Rausch
06-13-2012, 01:06 PM
6? LOL

And you make an appointment and it takes 15 minutes.

It's called sarcasm.

Like I said the closest apple store to me is over 2 hours away. Maybe if they were more concerned with opening stores than having them look like fucking art galleries I wouldn't be held hostage by "authorized resellers."

Rausch
06-13-2012, 01:08 PM
I also want to know WTF you do that this is an issue to begin with. I have 60+ macs in my Windows network and they are much more reliable and easier to manage than the "PC's".

Well, last time I had a motherboard/power supply fried by a power surge. At the time I had apple care and a guy came to my house and fixed it in about an hour.

No problem.

If I had to take it and get it fixed at an Apple store? That's a problem.

Micjones
06-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Mac users act like a virus is 19th century dysentery.
You guys realize they have programs to protect against and get rid of them, yes?

Stop acting like your "rectangle of magic" is the keeper of all the power in the universe.
My God.

penguinz
06-13-2012, 01:10 PM
It's called sarcasm.

Like I said the closest apple store to me is over 2 hours away. Maybe if they were more concerned with opening stores than having them look like ****ing art galleries I wouldn't be held hostage by "authorized resellers."Flat repair fee is $300. I would think it would be worth the cost savings to take a few in at a time over shelling out $2k every time one supposedly breaks.

qabbaan
06-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Maybe Apple has correctly assessed that the percentage of people who ever upgrade a laptop is very low?

Everyone will be using tablets in a few years anyway.

Rausch
06-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Flat repair fee is $300. I would think it would be worth the cost savings to take a few in at a time over shelling out $2k every time one supposedly breaks.

I'm a guy - not an office. I don't have $8k in computer hardware sitting around.

My computer goes down I want it fixed. Right now there aren't many convenient options...

QuikSsurfer
06-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Mac users act like a virus is 19th century dysentery.
You guys realize they have programs to protect against and get rid of them, yes?

Stop acting like your "rectangle of magic" is the keeper of all the power in the universe.
My God.

Not all mac users think like that -- don't put me in that fuckin bunch.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Maybe Apple has correctly assessed that the percentage of people who ever upgrade a laptop is very low?

Everyone will be using tablets in a few years anyway.

ROFL

No fucking way I will ever use a tablet for anything but surfing while taking a shit.

QuikSsurfer
06-13-2012, 01:16 PM

I'd agree.

L.A. Chieffan
06-13-2012, 01:16 PM
ROFL

No fucking way I will ever use a tablet for anything but surfing while taking a shit.

In five years the iPad ocho will have like 50G of RAM and 17 core processor. Respect

qabbaan
06-13-2012, 01:19 PM
In five years the iPad ocho will have like 50G of RAM and 17 core processor. Respect

More importantly, people will have phones that carry all the capability desktops do today, and will wirelessly connect to monitors or whatever other peripherals are needed, when or if they truly are.

Tablets already do what 99% need out of a computer. Fine Uncut Meat may feel he represents an average person but the average user is surfing on an iPad or similar. There are very few desktop troglodytes left.

Micjones
06-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Not all mac users think like that -- don't put me in that ****in bunch.

Touche.

I should've qualified that with the word "some".

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 01:20 PM
I do not represent the average user, that's my whole point.

We are not stuffing current high end components into something the size of an iPhone in 5 years, sorry.

Fish
06-13-2012, 01:21 PM
ROFL

LOL...

Apple sold 11.8 million iPads during the last quarter, a 151 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Also, Apple STILL sells the Mac Pro desktop, so...yeah.

qabbaan
06-13-2012, 01:27 PM

We are not stuffing current high end components into something the size of an iPhone in 5 years, sorry.

"car phones" that fit in your pocket?!

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 01:29 PM
There is a huge difference between:

http://deenakwennig.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/cell80s.jpg ---http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6aCs-nKi_fE/TGGGEiHdK_I/AAAAAAAABdY/EAJDZC_flU8/s1600/iphone4.jpeg

And:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/files/stories/2006/august2006/macpro.jpg --- http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6aCs-nKi_fE/TGGGEiHdK_I/AAAAAAAABdY/EAJDZC_flU8/s1600/iphone4.jpeg

penguinz
06-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Touche.

I should've qualified that with the word "some".Replace "some" with "most"

penguinz
06-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Only because the average user does not live in a basement and are productive members of society. :p

RealSNR
06-13-2012, 01:38 PM
If your son is gay then why are you getting him a gay computer if you want him to be straight?

Chiefspants
06-13-2012, 01:40 PM
ROFL

No ****ing way I will ever use a tablet for anything but surfing while taking a shit.

Gochiefs, your hatred of all things Apple is petty and laughable. Steve Jobs, god rest his soul, was the visionary of our generation. The information age would have been stunted and completely different without the contributions of Steve Jobs.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Only because the average user does not live in a basement and are productive members of society. :p

This wasn't funny earlier in the thread, and it's not funny now.

I need a 17-inch laptop with a lot of power for my job. Apple doesn't sell one.

Good job, Apple! Good effort!

loochy
06-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Gochiefs, your hatred of all things Apple is petty and laughable. Steve Jobs, god rest his soul, was the visionary of our generation. The information age would have been stunted and completely different without the contributions of Steve Jobs.

and now...he's dead

http://molempire.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Steve_Jobs_Death_Worst_Jokes6.jpg

ILChief
06-13-2012, 01:45 PM

What's the point of a 17 inch laptop anyway? Too big to easily carried around so why not just get a desktop

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 01:45 PM
What's the point of a 17 inch laptop anyway? Too big to easily carried around so why not just get a desktop

Because sometimes you need a mobile desktop replacement.

ModSocks
06-13-2012, 01:46 PM

MORE reliable? Pffff.....My experience is the complete opposite.

Micjones
06-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Replace "some" with "most"

I used the word "most" initially.

Chiefspants
06-13-2012, 01:47 PM
and now...he's dead

http://molempire.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Steve_Jobs_Death_Worst_Jokes6.jpg

RIP Steve, the Aristotle of our modern era.

penguinz
06-13-2012, 02:01 PM
This wasn't funny earlier in the thread, and it's not funny now.

I need a 17-inch laptop with a lot of power for my job. Apple doesn't sell one.

Good job, Apple! Good effort!They had one up until this refresh. They will more than likely bring it back later in the year.

You do not have a job that you NEED a 17" laptop. For portability, especially if traveling a lot, 17" is not a great option.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 02:02 PM
You do not have a job that you NEED a 17" laptop. For portability, especially if traveling a lot, 17" is not a great option.

Yes, I do. I need a mobile desktop replacement. I don't want to stare at a 15 inch screen. 17 inches is far more comfortable.

penguinz
06-13-2012, 02:04 PM
MORE reliable? Pffff.....My experience is the complete opposite.Your experience is the exception not the norm. Big advantage to the way Apple handles their hardware is that they have more control over quality. Windows runs much better on a same spec'd macbook pro over traditional windows laptops because of this.

penguinz
06-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Yes, I do. I need a mobile desktop replacement. I don't want to stare at a 15 inch screen. 17 inches is far more comfortable.And 19" would be even more comfortable so you should bitch that you can't buy a 19" laptop.

Lzen
06-13-2012, 02:07 PM
If your son is gay then why are you getting him a gay computer if you want him to be straight?

WTH? ROFL

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 02:14 PM
And 19" would be even more comfortable so you should bitch that you can't buy a 19" laptop.

19 inches would be glorious. But, since basically no one makes a 19" laptop, I won't complain.

Chief Roundup
06-13-2012, 02:15 PM

Apple Inc. Sucks! They use child/slave labor. They have been asked to bring those jobs back to America. Obama and our country was told that it wouldn't happen because of the labor wages that they would have to pay in the US. That there was not tax incentive/brib that would offset that difference.

Brooklyn
06-13-2012, 02:20 PM
The new Macbook is the only Macbook I'd consider (can't get enough RAM in the old ones).

It doesn't come in the 17-inch flavor, which is very disappointing.

I honestly question the decision to stuff a 2880x1800 display into 15 inches. That's making everything a bit too small for my tastes. 17 inches would be preferable.

Can't speak for other 17-inch "portables" but I owned a 17" PowerBook and a 17" MacBook Pro - they are heavy as all get out. It's not a portable, it's a desktop replacement. Sure you can lug it around if you want, but I wouldn't really call that a feature. So in the end, if all you are getting is a desktop replacement (Mac or otherwise), your money is better spent getting more power with a real desktop instead of paying a premium for portability.

LOL, they were the first company to ever have one! You sound so stupid right now. They were ahead of the market when it was a novel/good idea. Now it has outlasted its usefulness and they are phasing it out. Get that johnny come lately shit out of here.

You still never told me what system/software/bob you cut on from the last Apple thread. I would love to know.

Fish
06-13-2012, 02:22 PM

LMAO.... WTF?

"I'm curing my son of the gays by buying him nice things if he promises not to be gay anymore. Don't tell me I'm a bad parent, I'm helping him!"

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 02:24 PM
It's not a portable, it's a desktop replacement.

That's exactly what I need. A desktop wouldn't fill that need.

FYI, I also use a beefy desktop. I need both.

LOL, they were the first company to ever have one! You sound so stupid right now

I'm stupid because Apple made a 17-inch laptop years ago, and I need one now, and they don't make one?

Riiiiiight.

ILChief
06-13-2012, 02:29 PM
I get that it sucks for you they don't make a 17 inch laptop but obviously they didn't sell well enough to keep making them. You just have to weigh what is more important, screen size or Mac os

Saul Good
06-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Apple markets itself as the product for individuals rather than the masses.

Then they make their products to be the least customizable they can possibly be.

GordonGekko
06-13-2012, 02:39 PM
People make points that this is a Laptop, and if you are upgrade heavy you should just go with a PC..

but..

this goes to show the direction Apple is going in, and the fact of the matter is that people will drop $2.5k when they could spend $800 for a PC and get equal if not superior performance.

Oh well.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 02:40 PM
I get that it sucks for you they don't make a 17 inch laptop but obviously they didn't sell well enough to keep making them. You just have to weigh what is more important, screen size or Mac os

Since Mac OS is no better than Windows 7, screen size.

In fact, I'd be running Windows 7 on a Mac laptop. Oh, irony.

Chiefspants
06-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Apple Inc. Sucks!.

Whatever. Apple has heart, and continues to get the job done. You people who bash Apple, I will never even listen to your arguments. Apple puts heart into all of their products, and you continue to bash them...

Keep bashing them, I'll keep backing them.

Brooklyn
06-13-2012, 02:52 PM
That's exactly what I need. A desktop wouldn't fill that need.

FYI, I also use a beefy desktop. I need both.

I'm stupid because Apple made a 17-inch laptop years ago, and I need one now, and they don't make one?

Riiiiiight.

no you are stupid for suggesting that Apple sucks because they don't make a 17" portable, when the reality is, they invented the thing to begin with. So this holy grail that you need so bad for your work (still want to know what you cut on, it's okay if you have to say Premier CS4) was their idea before other companies could ever even think of/release it, yet you are discrediting the company for not understanding what is the best emerging tech.

Apple was ahead of the curve with a 17" PowerBook and 5 years from now you will probably be propping up the next big thing they've already moved on from.

What I/O are you using on your laptop anyways?

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 02:59 PM
They do suck. To me, they are worthless in my search for a laptop because they don't offer a 17" laptop.

FYI, it's not a holy grail. It's easily found through other manufacturers.

Apple fail. Thank god for companies like Sager.

ILChief
06-13-2012, 03:03 PM
They do suck. To me, they are worthless in my search for a laptop because they don't offer a 17" laptop.

Then buy one from another manufacturer and quit whining

ModSocks
06-13-2012, 03:03 PM
I have two 17" laptops and a Desktop.

The Laptops are sweet.

I'm not quite understanding this "not Portable" nonsense. They're hardly any more of a hassle than a 15". Anything less than 15" and you might as well just buy an Ipad.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Then buy one from another manufacturer and quit whining

I actually really dig the new Macbook pro, man. Apart from the screen size.

So I am gonna whine.

penguinz
06-13-2012, 03:05 PM
I have two 17" laptops and a Desktop.

The Laptops are sweet.

I'm not quite understanding this "not Portable" nonsense. They're hardly any more of a hassle than a 15". Anything less than 15" and you might as well just buy an Ipad.Because if you do a lot of traveling/commuting an almost 10lb laptop is retarded.

Chief Roundup
06-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Apple has heart.

That is the reason they make children work in their sweatshops. Right...

ModSocks
06-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Because if you do a lot of traveling/commuting an almost 10lb laptop is retarded.

Wow. Lol. Exaggerate a little? When was the lat time you bought a 17" Notebook?

Mine weighs 5 lbs.

Hardly a back breaker.

Brooklyn
06-13-2012, 03:07 PM

My point in saying "holy grail" is that I suspect what you think you need, and what you actually need are two very different things. As you've not told me what NLE you are using, nor what I/O you use when on the laptop (or dekstop for that matter), I have to assume you are just blowing smoke/talking shit about what a badass computer you need.

I really enjoy and respect your work, but the computer and/or software have little to do with it. If you have editing chops, that other shit shouldn't matter. That said, I still prefer a Mac based solution.

Chief Roundup
06-13-2012, 03:08 PM
I actually really dig the new Macbook pro, man. Apart from the screen size.

So I am gonna whine.

squeaky wheel gets the grease.

gblowfish
06-13-2012, 03:10 PM
I replaced a 15" Mac Book Pro with another, and the new one is much lighter.

Rausch
06-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Whatever. Apple has heart, and continues to get the job done. You people who bash Apple, I will never even listen to your arguments. Apple puts heart into all of their products, and you continue to bash them...

Well played...:D

penguinz
06-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Wow. Lol. Exaggerate a little? When was the lat time you bought a 17" Notebook?

Mine weighs 5 lbs.

Hardly a back breaker.I was basing it off of the Sager that GoChiefs mentioned that starts at 7 to almost 9 lbs (depending on model) before adding accessories.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 03:14 PM
My point in saying "holy grail" is that I suspect what you think you need, and what you actually need are two very different things.

Nah. I am working with 1080p video, so I need as much power as possible.

Also, the faster the laptop renders my shit, the better, so the fastest is the best option for me.

penguinz
06-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Nah. I am working with 1080p video, so I need as much power as possible.Disk I/O is going to be your bottleneck. Not CPU or RAM.

Chief Roundup
06-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Well played...:D

Yeah you think about the kids and the heart, blood, sweat, and tears that children put into making those products for you.
Think about those kids everytime you use an apple product like it might be your child.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Because if you do a lot of traveling/commuting an almost 10lb laptop is retarded.

The Sager laptop I configured awhile back weighed 8.6 pounds.

That's perfectly acceptable. It's not like I need to pull it out on the airplane and impress everyone with how light, slim and sleek it looks.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Disk I/O is going to be your bottleneck. Not CPU or RAM.

Since you basically have no idea what I do, you should cease talking about what you think I need. I know what I need.

penguinz
06-13-2012, 03:20 PM
Since you basically have no idea what I do, you should cease talking about what you think I need. I know what I need.lol There are video production companies that do 1080P productions on moderately powered Mac Mini's.

ModSocks
06-13-2012, 03:20 PM
Accer makes a damn nice laptop for a good price. I almost picked up a 17" Accer with an AMD A8, 6GB of Ram and a Dedicated Radeon Graphics card for $700.00.

ModSocks
06-13-2012, 03:21 PM
lol There are video production companies that do 1080P productions on moderately powered Mac Mini's.

Yeah, you dont need a lot these days for video editing. Laptops typically aren't great for video editing due to heat related failures.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 03:21 PM
lol There are video production companies that do 1080P productions on moderately powered Mac Mini's.

That's great, man. Good for them.

penguinz
06-13-2012, 03:23 PM
That's great, man. Good for them.So what do you do other than violate NFL copyright that requires that you have a super computer on your lap killing off any chance (for the good of the world) of reproduction?

Johnny Vegas
06-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Most of the world doesn't live near an Apple store. There's like fucking 6 of them worldwide.

I guess I could drive 2 hours to fucking St. Louis. Navigating through that $#ithole full of lambs fans sounds like a blast. Then I....what?...hang out for 4 hours until they can fix it?

Incredibly convenient...

dude they got Apple stores in Montana. Montana is like that state thats 5 years behind that other state thats 5 years behind that other state. Apple stores are everywhere like a Tebow story.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 03:25 PM
So what do you do other than violate NFL copyright that requires that you have a super computer on your lap killing off any chance (for the good of the world) of reproduction?

First of all, I wouldn't put it on my lap.

Second of all, I am not going to explain what I do. It would take more time than Mac morons are worth.

Suffice it to say I know what I need. That Macbook Pro with the i7 and 16 GB of RAM would have hit the spot, but the lack of a 17" option is a killer.

Brooklyn
06-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Nah. I am working with 1080p video, so I need as much power as possible.

Also, the faster the laptop renders my shit, the better, so the fastest is the best option for me.

Disk I/O is going to be your bottleneck. Not CPU or RAM.

Since you basically have no idea what I do, you should cease talking about what you think I need. I know what I need.

I have asked you like a half dozen times to enlighten me! I'm now positive that you are overbuying and really haven't the first clue what you need. You throw out 1080p like that is some big show stopper. It's not like you are cutting 4K RED footage. Where are you getting 1080P footage from anyways? Broadcast TV only goes to 1080i unless you are talking about specialized movie channels on some carriers. Any sports footage you are capturing in is already disgustingly compressed from the cable company, and I'd love to know what codec you are working in.

Fish
06-13-2012, 03:26 PM
So here's the problem, ironically enough the design differences between say windows 7 and Mac OSX aren't actually very large. Neither has a security design advantage over the other. The reason that mac's have so many fewer attacks is mostly because no one cares. They are such a small percentage of the PC business that it's not worth attacking them. Windows actually is much stronger from a security point of view because it's always being attacked(and fixed). Yes you have more known vulnerabilities, but you also have many more that have been fixed too. Apple is an unknown in this regard because no one can say how weak or strong it is.

Where this starts to be a problem is when they finally fully merge iOS and OSX. iOS is under increasing attack because it's such a large percentage of the market. When OSX merges all the mac's will be exposed to the same type of attacks that are being generated against the phones. That could lead to a host of issues for macs when it happens.

Security through obscurity works....until people notice. Quite a bit of mac's security is based upon no one caring because the market is too small. Add in the iphones and ipads and that changes rapidly.

Yeah, it's clear from this thread and every other Apple related thread that no one cares about OS X. Non Mac users don't care so much, that they flock to these threads to tell everyone how much they don't care.

Having more fixed vulnerabilities isn't exactly an indication of overall current security like you say. And Apple is certainly not an unknown. It's not like people don't try to create vulnerabilities for OS X. Those days are long past. The truth is that each OS has different security strengths and weaknesses. One isn't really clearly better than the other. Win7's security model for application isolation and application approval security checking is pretty damn good. Much better than OS X. But OS X's XNU kernel also provides some security aspects that Win7 can't touch. Some of it's Unix inheritance has great advantages. It's sad that we can't take the best of both...

Regarding the merging of OS X and iOS, that's completely different. OS X and iOS are very different in terms of vulnerability and security. While they are "merging" together in many aspects, they are still separated by such vast differences that one won't have an affect on the other like you're saying. They aren't merging the underlying coding or architecture. Only the visual appearance of such. iOS has a completely different "Walled Garden" approach to iOS security that shouldn't even be spoken about in the same terms as OS X security. Writing vulnerabilities for iOS would be completely useless for OS X, and vice versa. And truth be told, iOS isn't really very secure. But surprisingly, Android is much much worse. Android security is really awful. Like WinXP awful.

The problem with Apple's security approach is that it's too reactive instead of taking a proactive prevention approach. They're content with "patching" issues that come up. And so far it's worked for them. I don't think that will be the case in the future though. But it won't be because of iOS.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm not on trial here. Mac's shittiness is. And they are guilty as charged.

Chief Roundup
06-13-2012, 03:28 PM

Second of all, I am not going to explain what I do. It would take more time than Mac morons are worth.

Suffice it to say I know what I need. That Macbook Pro with the i7 and 16 GB of RAM would have hit the spot, but the lack of a 17" option is a killer.

So if you can't get the Mac you want what is your next choice?

Johnny Vegas
06-13-2012, 03:28 PM
after 4 years I have yet to replace any of my macs. I just installed a new 1 TB hard drive into my iMac, but thats it. My iMac, and macbook is running like the first day I bought it still never bought virus protection for either computer. So I'm happy with my choice.

penguinz
06-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Translates to you realize you are full of shit.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 03:29 PM
So if you can't get the Mac you want what is your next choice?

Sager's finely configured laptop.

Actually, that was my first choice, as I checked it out before the specs on the new Macbook Pros dropped.

I didn't even consider the old Macbook Pros, because of the lack of a 16GB option.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Translates to you realize you are full of shit.

No, not really. I'd have to sit here and type at length, and fuck all ya'll.

Brooklyn
06-13-2012, 03:30 PM
That Macbook Pro with the i7 and 16 GB of RAM would have hit the spot, but the lack of a 17" option is a killer.

LOL, they dumped the Express34 slot on this recent rev, how in the fuck are you going to get your compressed 1080i pirated footage into the computer? Even when you are coming around to a fictitious Mac, you still don't know what you are talking about. Fine, you are not on trial, but you still don't know the first thing of what you are talking about.

The Rick
06-13-2012, 03:31 PM
I'm not on trial here. Mac's shittiness is. And they are guilty as charged.
ROFL

Hammock Parties
USB 3.0 would have been fine. No Express slot required.

QuikSsurfer
No, not really. I'd have to sit here and type at length

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/quikssurfer/gifs/oTiKF.gif

penguinz
06-13-2012, 03:32 PM
No, not really. I'd have to sit here and type at length, and **** all ya'll.You are so full of BS.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Alright, whatever.

Can't wait to get an i7 with 16GB of RAM and watch my productivity skyrocket.

Johnny Vegas
06-13-2012, 03:33 PM

mac morons? get fucked man.

Johnny Vegas
06-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Alright, whatever.

Can't wait to get an i7 with 16GB of RAM and watch my productivity skyrocket.

the fuck you even fucking around with this kind of laptop anyways when it doesn't even match what you need to do production wise? same fucking thing when you shop for a computer and not just this macbook pro.

Rausch
06-13-2012, 03:36 PM
No, not really. I'd have to sit here and type at length, and **** all ya'll.

No, not really.

ModSocks
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/quikssurfer/gifs/oTiKF.gif

No, not really.

haha

Hammock Parties
You are talking out your ass again.

That Macbook Pro would have met my needs perfectly had it come in 17" flavor. I was really thrilled they finally offered something in 16GB.

Alas, they fucked up.

Brooklyn
06-13-2012, 03:37 PM

That Macbook Pro would have met my needs perfectly had it come in 17" flavor. I was really thrilled they finally offered something in 16GB.

Alas, they fucked up.

you are back peddling worse than Jim Rome.

Fish
06-13-2012, 03:45 PM

Alas, they fucked up.

You can get a 2011 MacBook Pro 17-inch 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 and install 16GB of RAM. Apple says the limit is 8GB, but that's not true. I've got several running with 16GB of RAM.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 03:47 PM
You can get a 2011 MacBook Pro 17-inch 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 and install 16GB of RAM. Apple says the limit is 8GB, but that's not true. I've got several running with 16GB of RAM.

Really? Does it come with USB 3.0?

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Also, I gotta be honest, if you can do that, Apple's website is the worst fucking thing in the world:

1. I see no 17" macbook pro anywhere.

2. They don't even offer a 16GB option when you configure a 2011.

The fact I can apparently get that, but not from their website, is truly fucking awful. Why make me hunt elsewhere for a 17 incher? Why make me install RAM myself?

You suck, Apple.

ModSocks
06-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Also, I gotta be honest, if you can do that, Apple's website is the worst ****ing thing in the world:

1. I see no 17" macbook pro anywhere.

2. They don't even offer a 16GB option when you configure a 2011.

The fact I can apparently get that, but not from their website, is truly ****ing awful. Why make me hunt elsewhere for a 17 incher? Why make me install RAM myself?

You suck, Apple.

You really do enjoy just bitching to bitch, don't you?

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 03:51 PM
You really do enjoy just bitching to bitch, don't you?

Just pointing out how lame Apple is.

Other manufacturers don't force me to upgrade RAM myself.

Dave Lane
06-13-2012, 03:52 PM

16GB RAM is not enough on a laptop? Are you ****ing with me?

Fish
06-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Really? Does it come with USB 3.0?

Nope, no USB 3.0 though. But it has Thunderbolt and Firewire800. Much better and faster interfaces... Thunderbolt is twice as fast as USB3.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/17

You'll find cheaper prices elsewhere too.

Johnny Vegas
06-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Just pointing out how lame Apple is.

Other manufacturers don't force me to upgrade RAM myself.

you think you can max out that 16GB of RAM? I have a hard time maxing out my 4GB of RAM on my iMac. With mac's the software doesn't need 3 GB of RAM to run like PC's do.

chasedude
06-13-2012, 03:57 PM
I've always been a "build it yourself" guy, especially when I can get near the same specs for half the price than the crap Apple sends out.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Nope, no USB 3.0 though.

Yeah, see? Another Mac fail. I have a device that requires USB 3.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 03:59 PM
you think you can max out that 16GB of RAM? I have a hard time maxing out my 4GB of RAM on my iMac. With mac's the software doesn't need 3 GB of RAM to run like PC's do.

Easily. The 8GB of RAM I have on my desktop now isn't enough.

I also don't want to hear shit about your software since I won't be using it.

Johnny Vegas
06-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Easily. The 8GB of RAM I have on my desktop now isn't enough.

I also don't want to hear shit about your software since I won't be using it.

You don't have a mac though so how do you really know how much you'll need with a mac? iTunes on a PC needs more RAM to run than the iTunes on a mac. You'll be using the same software I'm already using if you get a mac. Your software won't hog up all the RAM its currently taking in your PC if you had a mac.

Brooklyn
06-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Yeah, see? Another Mac fail. I have a device that requires USB 3.

because you are probably using a scrubby Black Magic Intensity Shuttle (AKA Fisher Price "My First Capture Device"). Don't you find it funny that the $200 plastic, bottom feeding piece of shit you use is the company's after thought?

Black Magic is for the dogs anyways, but even they are featuring Thunderbolt connections for their most prized products. USB 3.0 is an afterthought by them for outdated hanger-on'ers so they can suck a little more revenue from hobbyists who aren't ready to step into the big leagues but still don't know what to do with their money.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 04:08 PM
You don't have a mac though so how do you really know how much you'll need with a mac? iTunes on a PC needs more RAM to run than the iTunes on a mac. You'll be using the same software I'm already using if you get a mac. Your software won't hog up all the RAM its currently taking in your PC if you had a mac.

ROFL

I would run Windows 7 on a Macbook, honey. Try to understand. Not all of us like OSX.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 04:09 PM
because you are probably using a scrubby Black Magic Intensity Shuttle (AKA Fisher Price "My First Capture Device"). Don't you find it funny that the $200 plastic, bottom feeding piece of shit you use is the company's after thought?

Black Magic is for the dogs anyways, but even they are featuring Thunderbolt connections for their most prized products. USB 3.0 is an afterthought by them for outdated hanger-on'ers so they can suck a little more revenue from hobbyists who aren't ready to step into the big leagues but still don't know what to do with their money.

That's great man. But it's still a useful mobile capture device. Does everything I need. No reason to get anything else.

Brooklyn
06-13-2012, 04:16 PM
That's great man. But it's still a useful mobile capture device. Does everything I need. No reason to get anything else.

so you are saying you can get by with the lowest of the low? what in the fuck do you need this super computer you keep talking about for then?

Johnny Vegas
06-13-2012, 04:19 PM
ROFL

I would run Windows 7 on a Macbook, honey. Try to understand. Not all of us like OSX.

don't call me honey, sweetheart. I'd show you who's the real man in that relationship. Understand that.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 04:24 PM
so you are saying you can get by with the lowest of the low? what in the fuck do you need this super computer you keep talking about for then?

Because editing that footage requires a nice fast CPU with lots of RAM, moron.

And FYI that is not the lowest of the low. You can get capture devices that cost 30 bucks.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 04:24 PM
don't call me honey, sweetheart. I'd show you who's the real man in that relationship. Understand that.

Bullshit. All Mac users are bottoms.

Johnny Vegas
06-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Bullshit. All Mac users are bottoms.

...but you want to buy a mac correct? LMAO

QuikSsurfer
06-13-2012, 04:34 PM

The guy doesn't want to buy a mac - he's trolling.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 04:35 PM

I wouldn't be a full fledged Mac user, as I wouldn't touch OSX.

NewChief
06-13-2012, 04:36 PM

Ouch. That will leave a mark.

So what you're saying is that Goxhiefs parks his BMW outside a double wide.

Mr. Plow
06-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Apple threads are like KU vs. MU threads.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 04:38 PM
It doesn't leave a mark. It's a $200 device that does exactly what I need. I could invest in a $1000 capture device, but it would be a complete waste of money. There would literally be zero benefit.

NewChief
06-13-2012, 04:41 PM
It doesn't leave a mark. It's a $200 device that does exactly what I need. I could invest in a $1000 capture device, but it would be a complete waste of money. There would literally be zero benefit.

I think the fact that he guessed your capture device when you were being cryptic about it speaks to the level of ownage coming your way should you continue to debate this with him. We'll see though. I could be off the mark. :popcorn:

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 04:45 PM
That's not a difficult guess. Doesn't make any difference either way. He's just angry and ranting because I've correctly characterized Apple as a company that refuses to meet my rather reasonable demands.

ILChief
06-13-2012, 04:48 PM
That's not a difficult guess. Doesn't make any difference either way. He's just angry and ranting because I've correctly characterized Apple as a company that refuses to meet my rather reasonable demands.

Yet they're still making money

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Yes, good for them. They $hepherd a nice flock.

Brooklyn
06-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Because editing that footage requires a nice fast CPU with lots of RAM, moron.

And FYI that is not the lowest of the low. You can get capture devices that cost 30 bucks.

except that it doesn't and you are fucking clueless. it requires an extremely fast RAID array with a connectivity that gives you enough bandwith to play down multiple streams of video at once.

and I know that you can get a $30 piece of shit I/O device. You can also pay Matt Cassel $60M to masquerade as a franchise QB, that doesn't mean he isn't a worthless hack.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 04:51 PM
except that it doesn't

It absolutely does. When I upgraded to a six-core chip last year there was a huge difference in the ease with which I could edit video, and a massive difference at the rate at which I could then render that video. It used to take me several hours to render a 2-hour video. Now it takes a matter of minutes.

You are talking out your fucking ass.

NewChief
06-13-2012, 04:53 PM
:popcorn:

Like I said.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 04:54 PM
I have already fucking owned this idiot. Editing and rendering HD video takes a lot of processing power, especially if you are playing around in Adobe After Effects with a lot of different layers.

NewChief
06-13-2012, 04:56 PM
I have already ****ing owned this idiot. Editing and rendering HD video takes a lot of processing power, especially if you are playing around in Adobe After Effects with a lot of different layers.

I'm pretty sure that the "idiot" in question works as a professional in video editing.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 05:03 PM
I'm pretty sure that the "idiot" in question works as a professional in video editing.

I don't care what he does.

He's talking out his fucking ass.

I upgraded from a "decent" system last year and there was a huge difference in performance.

I can't do this effectively on an i3 with 4GB of RAM. Which, I'm sure is what he thinks I need.

Brooklyn
06-13-2012, 05:07 PM

and this is complete bullshit because I am far from an Apple zealot. They fucked over an entire community by discontinuing XServe, their FCPX release is a fucking joke of an editor, we dodged a bullet in the fact that they just released semi-updated MacPros, but the company's reluctance in keeping that line current is annoying as fuck IMO. I would prefer not to touch 10.7 Lion with a 10-foot pole in any production environment, but will begrudgingly do so when I transition my entire facility from Avid MC 5.5 to MC6 next month.

Apple is far from perfect and I won't defend them to the death. If you ever made any reasonable characterizations about the company, I would gladly get your back and chime in. Thus far all you've done is talk out of your ass a lot. This isn't even a "what can you do on Apple issue" for me. Half the shite we're discussing is third party hardware and software that is platform agnostic. Even in a strictly Windows realm you are still all ass-backwards. You don't know what the hell you are talking about and you use cheap, shitty products while acting like you are running a blue chip workstation.

Again, the end work is still very admirable a lot of the time (gfx still leave a lot to be desired), but I can watch the videos and know exactly what was needed to get from A to Z.

Of course getting an updated, faster computer is going to help some, but its not the crux of an editing solution. As for rendering, try getting some real hardware that will carry that processing and do the heavy lifting for you in real-time. rendering is for pussies.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Well, you're an idiot, again. You don't have a clue about what I do. So you need to shut the fuck up and let me buy an i7.

Brooklyn
06-13-2012, 05:12 PM
I have already fucking owned this idiot. Editing and rendering HD video takes a lot of processing power, especially if you are playing around in Adobe After Effects with a lot of different layers.

Well now we're getting somewhere! After Effects, thank you. Very glad to know you were not working in Sony Vegas. Are you doing the actual editing in AE, or just comping stuff? My guess then is that you probably edit in Premier and fly it to AE.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 05:13 PM
Thus far all you've done is talk out of your ass a lot.

No, you fucking moron. I've stated simple facts that reveal Apple as a shit choice for my needs:

Fact 1: No 17-inch laptop.

Fact 2: The 17-inch laptops they do sell don't offer USB 3.0.

Fact 3: Even if I decided I didn't need USB 3.0, I'd have to fucking upgrade the RAM myself, which is a god damn pain in the ass, and other manufacturers don't dick me around like that.

I'm not talking out my ass. These are facts that make Apple less appealing to people like me.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Well now we're getting somewhere! After Effects, thank you. Very glad to know you were not working in Sony Vegas. Are you doing the actual editing in AE, or just comping stuff? My guess then is that you probably edit in Premier and fly it to AE.

Wow, you're a genius.

Brooklyn
06-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Wow, you're a genius.

/thread

ILChief
06-13-2012, 05:32 PM
No, you fucking moron. I've stated simple facts that reveal Apple as a shit choice for my needs:

Fact 1: No 17-inch laptop.

Fact 2: The 17-inch laptops they do sell don't offer USB 3.0.

Fact 3: Even if I decided I didn't need USB 3.0, I'd have to fucking upgrade the RAM myself, which is a god damn pain in the ass, and other manufacturers don't dick me around like that.

I'm not talking out my ass. These are facts that make Apple less appealing to people like me.

If Apple is a shit choice for your needs, buy something else and GTF over it. Hell, you even said you'd be running Windows 7 most of the time anyway. Buy a Dell, Lenovo, or whatever and get on with your life. Or buy a 15" Mac Book Pro. No one here cares either way and neither does Apple.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 05:35 PM
Well, this all started because of this post:

I'm just trying to show Chiefspants that there are plenty of reasons why other people don't "stick to Apple."

RealSNR
06-13-2012, 07:31 PM
dude they got Apple stores in Montana. Montana is like that state thats 5 years behind that other state thats 5 years behind that other state. Apple stores are everywhere like a Tebow story.http://www.apple.com/retail/storelist/

If the company is doing so fucking great, they could sure as hell stand to put in a few more goddamn stores. Especially now that they're coming out with products that are unrepairable without taking it into a store or sending it in to the factory and waiting several goddamn weeks.

Mr_Tomahawk
06-13-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm using a Macbook Pro now.

Going on 6 years old.

Never had a problem with it. Been tossed around in a backpack 3 of those years throughout grad school.

When...if...this one dies on me, no questions I will get another.

HonestChieffan
06-13-2012, 07:49 PM
I'm using a Macbook Pro now.

Going on 6 years old.

Never had a problem with it. Been tossed around in a backpack 3 of those years throughout grad school.

When...if...this one dies on me, no questions I will get another.

The anti-Apple bunch does not care

Valiant
06-13-2012, 08:09 PM
The anti-Apple bunch does not care

They last for what they do.. I have my tablet PC by HP since 06, still runs perfect.. Depends more on the user I think.. I see the same idiots that have problems with everything..

Johnny Vegas
06-13-2012, 08:14 PM
http://www.apple.com/retail/storelist/

If the company is doing so fucking great, they could sure as hell stand to put in a few more goddamn stores. Especially now that they're coming out with products that are unrepairable without taking it into a store or sending it in to the factory and waiting several goddamn weeks.

weird they don't even list Montana having one, yet there's one in the mall I go to.

The Rick
06-13-2012, 09:40 PM
Wow, you're a genius.

/thread

ROFL :clap:

splatbass
06-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Even with Jobs this has been a problem with Apple for years.

I don't expect it to get any better with his passing...

I've owned Apple products for years and never needed service on anything. There are currently two MacBook Air, a Mac Mini, an iMac, three IPads, two iPhones, a 1st gen iPod Touch, two iPod classic, and an iBook that I bought in 2005 in the house - and none of them has ever needed service.

ClevelandBronco
06-14-2012, 01:02 AM
I can't get the 8-track tape player I already own installed in a Bugatti Veyron.

Bugatti Veyrons suck.

Hammock Parties
06-14-2012, 01:18 AM
I can't get the 8-track tape player I already own installed in a Bugatti Veyron.

Bugatti Veyrons suck.

PCs and Macs use the same hardware.

You lack the intellect for this debate.

ClevelandBronco
06-14-2012, 01:23 AM

Fuck that. I just want to play my Best of Bread tape, motherfucker.

splatbass
06-14-2012, 01:24 AM

Not really, that is an oversimplification. They do both use Intel chips. But the hardware in Macs is built to the specifications of Apple, while PCs can be built with any parts from thousands of manufacturers, from high quality to shit.

Hammock Parties
06-14-2012, 01:46 AM
Not really, that is an oversimplification. They do both use Intel chips. But the hardware in Macs is built to the specifications of Apple, while PCs can be built with any parts from thousands of manufacturers, from high quality to shit.

And you can get a PC filled with high quality parts. So let's just shut up about this stupid Bugatti comparison.

Chiefspants
06-14-2012, 01:52 AM
Well, this all started because of this post:

I'm just trying to show Chiefspants that there are plenty of reasons why other people don't "stick to Apple."

splatbass
06-14-2012, 02:04 AM
And you can get a PC filled with high quality parts. So let's just shut up about this stupid Bugatti comparison.

I didn't make the Bugatti comparison, jackass.

Macs are good machines that are reliable. If you don't like it too bad.

I do have a little experience with computers. I've been an electronics tech since the '80s (and a sys admin since 2000). In the '80s I worked on 8086 based PCs. I also spent 6 years doing testing on various satellites and their subsystems, including some of the electronics on the Hubble Space Telescope. In the '90s I worked with Digital mainframes as well as all kinds of other hardware. Since 2000 I've worked on Sun servers, SGI Onyx2/Origin 2000 servers (hardware certified by SGI), Sun workstations, and various HP PCs. The majority of the workstations I currently work on are HP Z800s. As I said, I do have a little experience with the subject. Apple products are top notch.

Hammock Parties
06-14-2012, 02:52 AM
Doesn't really matter. Other laptop manufacturers come out with top notch machines, too.

So the comparison is stupid, and you're stupid for defending it, whether or not you made it.

splatbass
06-14-2012, 03:00 AM
Doesn't really matter. Other laptop manufacturers come out with top notch machines, too.

So the comparison is stupid, and you're stupid for defending it, whether or not you made it.

You are a moron that has no idea what you are talking about. Of course that is pretty much standard operating procedure for you.

Go ahead and buy whatever you want. I'll continue to buy Mac, because it just works, and works well. Tough, reliable, user friendly. Always ahead of everyone else. I'm typing this on my Macbook Air. Originally released in 2008, other PC makers are just starting to come out with laptops as thin as the Macbook Air. By the time your PC catches up, Apple has already moved ahead again.

You sound bitter, maybe because you can't afford one. Sour grapes.

Hammock Parties
06-14-2012, 03:31 AM
A Macbook air would be completely worthless to someone like me.

Mac is behind other laptop makers where I'm concerned. They just can't meet my demands, no matter how hard they try. Pity.

splatbass
06-14-2012, 03:40 AM

Mac is behind other laptop makers where I'm concerned. They just can't meet my demands, no matter how hard they try. Pity.

Good for you. I travel to Korea three or four times a year, for a month at a time usually. I need a laptop that will be small enough to fit in my pack, light enough to not hurt my back walking around the airport, tough enough to handle the bumps of travel, powerful enough to get the job done with a battery that lasts hours longer than other laptops because there is no hard drive with moving parts to fail. And besides the work I can do on it, when I'm on that 10 hour flight I can watch 3 full movies and play some games or read a book and still have power left when I get there to check my email at the airport and email everyone I need to let know that I'm there. And if I need to charge it while I'm on the way, Korean Air has USB ports on their seats. It is also powerful enough for me to record multitrack music recordings for my band while I'm away. Plus it has all three levels of Rosetta Stone loaded on it so I can study Korean while I'm there (and continue when I get home). I have taken other laptops before, but the Macbook Air is perfect.

So what do you use yours for that needs more processing power than 16 tracks of rock music? You are a wanna be journalist, right? Word processors don't use many resources.

Saul Good
06-14-2012, 06:08 AM

That's just not true. They are fully capable of meeting your demands. They simply choose not to.

Al Bundy
06-14-2012, 06:29 AM
I have been wondering.. since when has Claynus needed a 17 inch screen laptop to say these 11 little words into a microphone "Would you like that in a meal or just the sandwhich"?

ILChief
06-14-2012, 06:37 AM
That's just not true. They are fully capable of meeting your demands. They simply choose not to.

Because those computers didn't sell as good. If they did, they'd still make them

ILChief
06-14-2012, 06:40 AM

I am sure Tim Cook and Jony Ive are being driven by trying to meet GoChiefs demands for a laptop few others want

Deberg_1990
06-14-2012, 06:41 AM

I always like how you expect a huge company like Apple to cater to you personally.

Ive told you over and over, your a "niche" market. deny it all you want but you are. Apple makes great products but its primarily for the mass market.

Its not for you, fine, we get it........no need to dump on them.

Brooklyn
06-14-2012, 06:44 AM

you are going to make me post this link again, aren't you? Did you even watch it last time?

http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/25/macbook-air-thunderbolt-editing-4k-video-shows-why-the-mac-pro-as-we-know-it-can-die/

Price aside, how is a MacBook Air worthless to you when its possible configuration pisses all over the rig you use now? The user in this article has boot camped Win7 as you've indicated you would do anyway, and is editing in Premier. The Air is chomping on full res 4K RED footage, compared to the cable company's compressed MPEG2 feed you are getting maybe over HDMI, but possibly through component analog cables.

That thing is just way too expensive and someone would be a fool to set themselves up like that, but the point is, it can be done and you have a lot of leeway in a Mac solution. This demo takes the heaviest of the heavy (4K RED) and uses it with Apple's low end Mac with no problem. Imagine if you tried to do something similar but didn't intentionally get the least powerful Mac available? Do this with a MBP or iMac? A MacPro tower? It would scream.

Back to yesterday's argument of what makes an editing workstation hum...the Promise RAID over thunderbolt is the main component. Not the measly 4GB RAM and 1.8 i7 proc.

P.S. - the article is closing in on 6 months old and the MBA has alreayd been rev's to a newer faster more powerful machine that caps out at 8GB RAM.

J Diddy
06-14-2012, 07:50 AM
you are going to make me post this link again, aren't you? Did you even watch it last time?

http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/25/macbook-air-thunderbolt-editing-4k-video-shows-why-the-mac-pro-as-we-know-it-can-die/

Price aside, how is a MacBook Air worthless to you when its possible configuration pisses all over the rig you use now? The user in this article has boot camped Win7 as you've indicated you would do anyway, and is editing in Premier. The Air is chomping on full res 4K RED footage, compared to the cable company's compressed MPEG2 feed you are getting maybe over HDMI, but possibly through component analog cables.

That thing is just way too expensive and someone would be a fool to set themselves up like that, but the point is, it can be done and you have a lot of leeway in a Mac solution. This demo takes the heaviest of the heavy (4K RED) and uses it with Apple's low end Mac with no problem. Imagine if you tried to do something similar but didn't intentionally get the least powerful Mac available? Do this with a MBP or iMac? A MacPro tower? It would scream.

Back to yesterday's argument of what makes an editing workstation hum...the Promise RAID over thunderbolt is the main component. Not the measly 4GB RAM and 1.8 i7 proc.

P.S. - the article is closing in on 6 months old and the MBA has alreayd been rev's to a newer faster more powerful machine that caps out at 8GB RAM.

Well it's obvious you know your stuff, but the real question is how well can you pirate NFL footage and edit it for our amusement?

You 2 should face each other heads up.

Hammock Parties
06-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Price aside, how is a MacBook Air worthless to you when its possible configuration pisses all over the rig you use now?

Does it come in a 17 inch flavor?

Also, lol @ 4GB RAM.

Hammock Parties
06-14-2012, 08:13 AM
I always like how you expect a huge company like Apple to cater to you personally.

Come on man.

Asking for a 17-inch laptop with USB 3.0 isn't a huge demand.

Saulbadguy
06-14-2012, 08:17 AM
Interesting argument. Kind of.

Mr. Plow
06-14-2012, 08:18 AM
I think it's funny that GC has trolled this thread for 230 posts with the whole "Must have a 17" laptop!!11!1!!"

Hammock Parties
06-14-2012, 08:21 AM
I think it's funny that GC has trolled this thread for 230 posts with the whole "Must have a 17" laptop!!11!1!!"

The fact that such a simple demand constantly baffles Apple is proof of how shitty they are.

It's cool. I'm saving money using a different manufacturer, anyway. That doesn't make me upgrade the RAM myself. ROFL

Brooklyn
06-14-2012, 08:23 AM
Well it's obvious you know your stuff, but the real question is how well can you pirate NFL footage and edit it for our amusement?

You 2 should face each other heads up.

I work for Grey Advertising in NY. I don't need to pirate NFL footage as we are the league's agency of record.

I am not an editor though, rather a post production engineer. I design and maintain the facility where the editing gets done. I could edit, but after dealing with this shit for 10-12 hours a day at work, the last thing I want to do in my free time is sit in front a computer pouring through footage for highlight reels. I enjoy most of what Clay does and will leave it to him. When he starts talking tech and making absurd claims, then I'll chime in.

Saulbadguy
06-14-2012, 08:23 AM
The fact that such a simple demand constantly baffles Apple is proof of how shitty they are.

It's cool. I'm saving money using a different manufacturer, anyway. That doesn't make me upgrade the RAM myself. ROFL

Even if they did offer a 17" laptop, why bother? They are several hundred dollars more expensive than comparable models, and OSX doesn't do anything W7 can't do.

Hammock Parties
06-14-2012, 08:24 AM
When he starts talking tech and making absurd claims, then I'll chime in.

There's nothing absurd about what I'm saying, though.

It's just simple, cold, hard facts that slap Apple fanboys in the face.

qabbaan
06-14-2012, 08:27 AM

The funny thing about that is, he doesnt seem to understand that the whole reason they don't feel they need to make 17" anymore is because the display on these new models has such a high resolution. It's the same thing that is going on with phones. Why are android phones always larger? They don't have the same display resolution, the compromise is to make the screen bigger.

The screen on these is 15", but it's 2880x1800 with 220ppi. A typical resolution on a laptop today might be 1366x768 or 1600x900. Nobody really cares about the size of the screen, they care about how good it is - how readable it is.

I am sure that these laptops will go over just fine.

As far as upgrading, most people never do that. People use a laptop for 2 or 3 years and then buy a new one.

Rausch
06-14-2012, 08:28 AM

:rolleyes:

http://cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/files/bloguploads/deal-with-it-riker.gif

qabbaan
06-14-2012, 08:28 AM

Apple had better hire you soon, before they go bankrupt.

Brooklyn
06-14-2012, 08:35 AM

everything you are saying is an outright lie. A 17" laptop doesn't baffle Apple.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=first+17%22+laptop

they are simply over the concept and have moved on to more forward thinking tech and solutions. A workhorse 17" laptop is a desktop replacement, not a portable solution. For that money, you are better off just getting a more powerful desktop. Frankly, a single 17" display isn't really worth shit in an editing environment. It's still a weak solution, Apple or otherwise. You'd be better off with a pair of 22" or a single 30" display. Trying to cram all the panels of AE or Premier onto a 17" screen is not that fun. As a second machine to be able to take on the road and work with a little more flexibility, I get it. But in that case I would want to skew more toward the portability factor, which the largest laptop on the market from any manufacturer really runs contrary to.

And you can't upgrade the RAM yourself in an air or MBP. That shit is soldered in now. If anything I thought your argument is that Apple DOESN'T give you easy access to upgrade components.

ILChief
06-14-2012, 08:46 AM
Come on man.

Asking for a 17-inch laptop with USB 3.0 isn't a huge demand.

Ford doesnt currently make a minivan. If I wanted a minivan I would buy a Honda, Toyota, etc and not troll for days about how ford sucks since they can't meet my demands

Hammock Parties
06-14-2012, 08:47 AM
The screen on these is 15", but it's 2880x1800 with 220ppi.

ROFL

As I said earlier, that honestly strikes me as a horrible design decision.

I don't want to squint at a 15" inch screen with that many pixels packed into it.

A workhorse 17" laptop is a desktop replacement, not a portable solution. For that money, you are better off just getting a more powerful desktop.

Yeah, except I can't take that on a fucking airplane, you moron.

J Diddy
06-14-2012, 08:48 AM

Hmmm. Kind of odd that he posts his desire for 17 inches and an article about the gay gene within 24 hours of each other.

splatbass
06-14-2012, 08:49 AM
everything you are saying is an outright lie. A 17" laptop doesn't baffle Apple.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=first+17%22+laptop

You'd be better off with a pair of 22" or a single 30" display.

I have a 30" Apple monitor on my desk at work. It rocks. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore.

Hammock Parties
06-14-2012, 08:49 AM
Ford doesnt currently make a minivan. If I wanted a minivan I would buy a Honda, Toyota, etc and not troll for days about how ford sucks since they can't meet my demands

Ford makes a minivan equivalent. No reason you couldn't drive one of those.

Rausch
06-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Ford makes a minivan equivalent. No reason you couldn't drive one of those.

Now we've come full circle.

PC Vs. Mac

Ford Vs. Chevy...

Mr. Plow
06-14-2012, 08:51 AM

PC Vs. Mac

Ford Vs. Chevy...

FUCK CHEVY!!1!1!!

Mr. Plow
06-14-2012, 08:52 AM

PC Vs. Mac

Ford Vs. Chevy...

Actually, only when this thread turns into a MU/KU pissing match has full circle been achieved.

Rausch
06-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Actually, only when this thread turns into a MU/KU pissing match has full circle been achieved.

Yet another argument I don't fucking care about...

Brooklyn
06-14-2012, 09:02 AM
I have a 30" Apple monitor on my desk at work. It rocks. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore.

yeah, but I am not an Apple fanboy as Clay suggests. I would be totally fine using an NEC monitor if it was part of the total right solution alongside Apple products.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Dude!!! You're getting a Dell.

gblowfish
06-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Dude!!! You're getting a Dell.

http://i47.tinypic.com/19l0e1.jpg