PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports David Stern Asked Jim Rome “Have You Stopped Beating Your Wife Yet?”

ShowtimeSBMVP
06-13-2012, 12:49 PM
http://deadspin.com/5918141/?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflowRT

Incarcerated Bob ‏@incarceratedbob

Jim Rome: Was the Lottery Fixed? David Stern: You still beat your wife Jim? #WWE Stern feeling the pressure now huh #IBN we got em nervous

Rausch
06-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Chris Everett?...

Frazod
06-13-2012, 12:54 PM
I always assumed Rome would be the wife in any relationship.

-King-
06-13-2012, 12:55 PM
LMAO Just heard it on 610. That's hilarious. That pause between the question and answer is hilarious. That question shook him to the core ROFL
Posted via Mobile Device

pr_capone
06-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Jim Rome is an..........

EPIC douchebag.

Stern should have ended the call with "thanks or the vine Rome!" then hung up.

L.A. Chieffan
06-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Stern is the biggest ass hole on Earth

Start Croyle
06-13-2012, 01:08 PM
I like Jim Rome a lot...but he sounded like Nick Wright in the second half of that audio!

I was really surprised that Stern's attitude got under his skin like that!

Rooster
06-13-2012, 01:08 PM
ROFLROFL

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 01:09 PM
MAD RESPECT for that NBA jew.

:hail:

Sucky
Stern is a greedy asshole. I'm not anti- semetic but what a jackasss.

L.A. Chieffan
Stern has officially lost it. He needed to retire like 5 years ago

L.A. Chieffan
06-13-2012, 01:10 PM
MAD RESPECT for that NBA jew.

:hail:

He reminds me of those Jew space Aliens in South Park. I can see him going to a strip club in New York and doing blow with Spreewell

Hammock Parties
06-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Stern is a greedy asshole. I'm not anti- semetic but what a jackasss.

I don't like Stern, but NO ONE should take Rome's shit.

Predarat
06-13-2012, 01:13 PM
That was kind of funny.

Start Croyle
06-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Here's how I heard it:

Rome asked the question. Stern gives a terse, nonanswer, then the 'wife beating' thing. Rome presses him for a while and gets a real answer. Jim Rome should have moved on at this point. But, he tried to go back and do kind of a 'it's all good, let's shake hands' thing by going back and justifying why he asked the question. This was supposed to clear the air, but instead Stern got more prickly and it blew up. Stern started tossing out insults about making a career out of such questions, etc, and it couldn't be salvaged at that point.

JR sounded upset, but was still trying to keep the peace.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-13-2012, 01:21 PM
He should have interviewed Croyle!!!! Asked about her bewbies!!!! Maybe even motorboated em!!

KCUnited
06-13-2012, 01:23 PM
**** Rome, I'd much rather listen to the 'what's your favorite bbq place in KC' our local media presses interviewees with.

Demonpenz
Sounded like a reasonable questioned

Signed

Hal Mcrae's gin bottle

Fish
Fuck them both.

durtyrute
06-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Rome is worse than Fescoe

Saul Good
06-13-2012, 01:26 PM
What's with the Rome hate? He's the only guy with the balls to ask the question.

Codered
06-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Rome is worse than Fescoe

Hey now ... Nobody is that bad!

Jenson71
06-13-2012, 01:27 PM
It's a signal that the questioner is asking a loaded question. It's not an accusation. Unless there is a history of domestic violence by Jim Rome. Also, Rome did not ask a loaded question, so it's really a poor answer.

DeezNutz
06-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Rome's question is more than fair because a lot of people had that reaction. Media members, on some level, are the investigative arm of the general public.

siberian khatru
06-13-2012, 01:28 PM
"I have to go call someone important now. Stephen A. Smith is up next."

ROFL

Saul Good
06-13-2012, 01:30 PM
It's a signal that the questioner is asking a loaded question. It's not an accusation. Unless there is a history of domestic violence by Jim Rome. Also, Rome did not ask a loaded question, so it's really a poor answer.

Exactly. There were no questionable assumptions loaded in the question unless Stern denies that there was a draft lottery.

RealSNR
06-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Stern is the biggest ass hole on EarthYou still can't have Kevin Love, bree.

durtyrute
06-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Hey now ... Nobody is that bad!

True.....true. When I would catch his show a while back; I couldn't stand how after every interview he would suck off the guest for like 5 minutes talking about how good of a call it was. Plus, he would repeat the same shit like thirty times. Plus, he would repeat the same shit like thirty times. Then sometimes, he would say the same shit over and over again.

DeezNutz
06-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Rome asked respectfully, handled himself accordingly, and Stern showed his ass. Shocking.

jd1020
06-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Wonder why Stern got so defensive about a simple question that required a simple answer.... "No."

Garcia Bronco
06-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Wonder why Stern got so defensive about a simple question that required a simple answer.... "No."

I'd give the same answer that Stern gave because the reality is Rome is insulting him by asking him the question. Rome got insulted back. Seems like standard old testiment to me.

Mr. Laz
06-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Stern is a greedy asshole. I'm not anti- semetic but what a jackasss.Stern has officially lost it. He needed to retire like 5 years ago

you guys do realize that he negotiates on behalf of the league, right?

he doesn't keep the money from the labor contracts

LOCOChief
Romes a dick. Just like the people that call his show and talk that schtick. One of the coolest things Ive ever seen is when Jim Evert gave him a taste of the beatdown he could've easily delivered. Pure Gold!!!

jd1020
I'd give the same answer that Stern gave because the reality is Rome is insulting him by asking him the question. Rome got insulted back. Seems like standard old testiment to me.

What was insulting about the question?

Saul Good
06-13-2012, 01:46 PM

Would it have been insulting if he was asked five years ago if there were officials on the take?

lcarus
06-13-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm glad Rome asked the question. He tried to do it in a joking manner, but Stern was clearly upset by it. Tells a lot.

Garcia Bronco
06-13-2012, 01:56 PM
What was insulting about the question?

He insulted his integraity and that of the NBA by saying that the lottery was fixed. He basically accused him of fraud.

jd1020
06-13-2012, 01:57 PM
He insulted his integraity and that of the NBA by saying that the lottery was fixed. He basically accused him of fraud.

He never claimed the lottery was fixed, idiot.

Garcia Bronco
06-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Would it have been insulting if he was asked five years ago if there were officials on the take?

No...because an offical was actually found to be betting on games.

Garcia Bronco
06-13-2012, 01:58 PM
He never claimed the lottery was fixed, idiot.

By asking that queation...he did. Don't be obtuse.

DeezNutz
06-13-2012, 01:58 PM
No...because an offical was actually found to be betting on games.

Exactly the point.

And if Rome asked before this was known fact?

Garcia Bronco
06-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Exactly the point.

It's insulting the integrity of the game absent of fact.

jd1020
06-13-2012, 01:59 PM
By asking that queation...he did. Don't be obtuse.

How long have you been dating Mr. Stern?

Garcia Bronco
06-13-2012, 02:00 PM
How long have you been dating Mr. Stern?

Save the personal stuff for somebody else.

jd1020
06-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Save the personal stuff for somebody else.

Tell that to your boyfriend.

DeezNutz
06-13-2012, 02:01 PM

A game that has demonstrated some problems with integrity already, right?

See: ref scandal.

Mr. Laz
06-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Exactly the point.

he shouldn't ask BEFORE the fact

he goes and finds the fact so he can ask

Saul Good
06-13-2012, 02:04 PM

Then why ever ask a question? If it's already been proven, there's no point in asking. If you can't ask a question about it until it's proven, then see my previous sentence.

The NBA has not earned the right to be above this sort of question.

Discuss Thrower
06-13-2012, 02:05 PM
A little food for thought (http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/hruby-tuesday/201205/conspiracy-theory-david-stern-michael-phelps-patrick-ewing-michael-jordan) when it comes to Stern and fixing the draft.

lcarus
06-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Then why ever ask a question? If it's already been proven, there's no point in asking. If you can't ask a question about it until it's proven, then see my previous sentence.

Exactly. If facts were uncovered that proved the lottery was fixed, I don't think ANYONE would be shocked.

Bump
06-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Wonder why Stern got so defensive about a simple question that required a simple answer.... "Yes."

fyp

Garcia Bronco
06-13-2012, 02:07 PM

I disagree. further....let's say you did that to your boss over a promotion or raise you didn't get. What would be a bad result of that? It's just not professional on Rome's part, who has a history of getting beat-up by a guest on his show.

Garcia Bronco
06-13-2012, 02:08 PM
A game that has demonstrated some problems with integrity already, right?

See: ref scandal.

that's every sport in America. Every major sport has had some kind of integrity problem in the past.

Garcia Bronco
06-13-2012, 02:09 PM
he shouldn't ask BEFORE the fact

he goes and finds the fact so he can ask

Holy smokes...you just described actual journalism.

Saul Good
06-13-2012, 02:09 PM
I disagree. further....let's say you did that to your boss over a promotion or raise you didn't get. What would be a bad result of that? It's just not professional on Rome's part, who has a history of getting beat-up by a guest on his show.Terribly stupid comparison...

This wasn't a performance review with my employer. This was an interviewer asking the commissioner of the NBA a pointed but valid question that was on the minds of millions of people.

Garcia Bronco
06-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Terribly stupid comparison...

This wasn't a performance review with my employer. This was an interviewer asking the commissioner of the NBA a pointed but valid question that was on the minds of millions of people.

It does compare under the topic of professionalism. Which was the part I was comparing. You are correct that they are not mutually inclusive.

Saul Good
06-13-2012, 02:10 PM
that's every sport in America. Every major sport has had some kind of integrity problem in the past.

That was a huge scandal under Stern's watch.

jd1020
06-13-2012, 02:11 PM
fyp

I have no doubts that shit in the NBA is fixed. But I was speaking from Sterns POV.

Ewing.
Lebron.
Rose.
Cavs following Lebrons departure.
Refs.
Stern vetoing trades.

Defeating the odd happens too often in the NBA under Stern.

Garcia Bronco
06-13-2012, 02:12 PM
That was a huge scandal under Stern's watch.

It was...however I believe he took the steps to make sure it didn't happen again. It's ashame that some cannot be trusted when they give their word.

Saul Good
06-13-2012, 02:13 PM
It does compare under the topic of professionalism. Which was the part I was comparing. You are correct that they are not mutually inclusive.

It isn't my place to question how my employer metes out raises. It is an interviewer's place to ask the guest questions that are on the public's minds.

milkman
06-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Jim Rome's show is infantile at best.

He, however, is usually one of the best at interviews.

In this case, however, he should have framed the question differently.

Mr. Laz
06-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Terribly stupid comparison...

with no facts AT ALL, it wasn't valid question.

it was a cheap shot ala jason whitlock

Rome just trying to get attention

If he really wants to do something then tell him to do some real investigation and find some proof.

Saul Good
06-13-2012, 02:15 PM
It was...however I believe he took the steps to make sure it didn't happen again. It's ashame that some cannot be trusted when they give their word.

He didn't give his word. He could have, but he chose to take the "I won't even dignify that with a response" route, and he simply hasn't earned that right.

Saul Good
06-13-2012, 02:16 PM
with no facts AT ALL, it wasn't valid question.

it was a cheap shot ala jason whitlock

Rome just trying to get attention

If he really wants to do something then tell him to do some real investigation and find some proof.

Doesn't an investigation start with asking Stern that very question?

Garcia Bronco
06-13-2012, 02:16 PM
He didn't give his word. He could have, but he chose to take the "I won't even dignify that with a response" route, and he simply hasn't earned that right.

The referee gave his word that he would be honest and not gamble by taking the job. I wasn't talking about Stern himself.

Garcia Bronco
06-13-2012, 02:18 PM
It isn't my place to question how my employer metes out raises. It is an interviewer's place to ask the guest questions that are on the public's minds.

Yes it is as it pertains to you and no that isn't always the case. Especially when the question is framed in such a way to defame the interviewee.

Garcia Bronco
06-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Doesn't an investigation start with asking Stern that very question?

And that's a job for law enforcement should there actually be a case. But there isn't. this is just a bunch of people butt hurt because someting they expected to happen...didn't happen.

Mr. Laz
06-13-2012, 02:20 PM
"Commissioner Stern, there are many fans around the league that question the validity of the NBA Lottery. The word 'fixed' seems to be the most common word used. What do you say in response to all the NBA fans about the Lottery?"

I'm sure one of you writer types can phrase it a lot better than i but you get the main idea. This is phrasing the question like the rumor and pr crap that it is, not like a legit question with some kind of factual basis.

jd1020
06-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Pistachio - Stern does it honestly.

DeezNutz
06-13-2012, 02:21 PM
And that's a job for law enforcement should there actually be a case. But there isn't. this is just a bunch of people butt hurt because someting they expected to happen...didn't happen.

Law enforcement? LMAO. It's the stupid fucking lottery.

Congress should get involved.

Saul Good
06-13-2012, 02:22 PM
The referee gave his word that he would be honest and not gamble by taking the job. I wasn't talking about Stern himself.

And it happened under Stern's watch. When something like that happens, you lose the right not to be asked questions when other fishy things happen.

Chief Roundup
06-13-2012, 02:29 PM
The NBA, and Boxing are getting closer to being a joke like wrestlilng.

vailpass
06-13-2012, 02:31 PM

Stern didn't like the question and he showed his ass in response.
Instead of taking the opportunity to dispel wide-spread speculation in a factual manner Stern went idiot.

-King-
06-13-2012, 02:39 PM
The NBA, and Boxing are getting closer to being a joke like wrestlilng.

:rolleyes:

Amnorix
06-13-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm not a big fan of Stern, but Rome can DIAF. What little I've seen of him leaves me unimpressed to say the least.

blaise
06-13-2012, 02:56 PM

Lack of integrity in the system is the reason there's a draft lottery to begin with.

blaise
06-13-2012, 02:59 PM
I don't think Stern's question about Jim's wife really rattled him. He didn't even address it on his show until much later, and that was just to say it was a rhetorical question. He seemed more rattled my the accusation that he was a sort of Skip Bayless style shit-stirrer.

Molitoth
06-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Rome was hilarious the first few times I listened to his show, but his style gets old really fast.

Saul Good
06-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Lack of integrity in the system is the reason there's a draft lottery to begin with.

Personally, I think Rome its great. It's the losers who email and text him that suck, amirite?

BTW, is he off the air in KC?

blaise
06-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Personally, I think Rome its great. It's the losers who email and text him that suck, amirite?

BTW, is he off the air in KC?

Yeah. I don't live in KC anymore, anyway, but he is off the air there.

suds79
06-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Rome was hilarious the first few times I listened to his show, but his style gets old really fast.

Yeah his show started to wear thin for me shortly before he went off the air in KC. After a while I realized his show is nothing more than being about the clones and making noises.

It's great for him. Outside of football season I think sports talk radio is pretty slow. So he uses it as filler. Think he'd ever run the smack off in the fall? No way.

whoman69
06-13-2012, 03:18 PM

Nah, I'd say Rome and Skip Bayless are bigger.

blaise
06-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Nah, I'd say Rome and Skip Bayless are bigger.

Skip's a way bigger a-hole than Jim. At least (in my opinion) Jim believes the points he's making. I don't think Skip believes half of what he says. It's just contrived for effect.

jspchief
06-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Ironically, Rome's pretty much the opposite of his reputation these days when doing interviews. He normally totally kisses ass these days.

whoman69
06-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Ironically, Rome's pretty much the opposite of his reputation these days when doing interviews. He normally totally kisses ass these days.

Probably has to be or he wouldn't get any more interviews.

CaliforniaChief
06-13-2012, 06:41 PM
The Rome hate on here is interesting. Maybe it's because I've been listening to him since he did his local show on 1150 here in L.A. but I think he does a great job with his show...and clearly the ratings and continued opportunities he gets prove that more people than not agree with that. IMO, Rome changed a lot after he settled down and had a family.

David Stern is a caustic, arrogant jackass who has a universal reputation for being a prickly interview.

okcchief
06-13-2012, 06:52 PM
If Rome's gonna dish it he needs to take it.

Stern does need to step aside though.

BigMeatballDave
06-13-2012, 06:56 PM
If Rome's gonna dish it he needs to take it.

Stern does need to step aside though.

This is different.

Saying the draft is fixed isn't personal.

Asking if someone is beating their wife most certainly is.

Stern sucks as a human being.

okcchief
06-13-2012, 06:56 PM
I'm also confused why everyone thinks its fixed this year. NO had decent odds to win. The year it should have been questioned was when Chicago got it with a 1% chance and a hometown guy was the clear number 1 pick.

okcchief
06-13-2012, 06:57 PM
This is different.

Saying the draft is fixed isn't personal.

Asking if someone is beating their wife most certainly is.

Stern sucks as a human being.

Rome has gotten personal with plenty of people. Boo hoo

blaise
06-13-2012, 07:00 PM
I'm also confused why everyone thinks its fixed this year. NO had decent odds to win. The year it should have been questioned was when Chicago got it with a 1% chance and a hometown guy was the clear number 1 pick.

That's kind of the thing. I think most people know it isn't, but there's this vocal group that always says the NBA is crooked. Stern should have capitalized on the question and tried to put to rest the notion that it's fixed. He's the commissioner. He should be more polished. He easily could have turned that in his favor.

CaliforniaChief
06-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Rome has gotten personal with plenty of people. Boo hoo

We all know Rome went into total dick mode on Jim Everett.

But I struggle to think of many times Jim Rome was disrespectful to a guest on his show.

He has strong takes. That's entertainment. It's also refreshingly honest, IMO.

blaise
06-13-2012, 07:01 PM
We all know Rome went into total dick mode on Jim Everett.

But I struggle to think of many times Jim Rome was disrespectful to a guest on his show.

He has strong takes. That's entertainment. It's also refreshingly honest, IMO.

Yeah, he's generally pretty cordial.

whoman69
06-13-2012, 07:15 PM
A better question might have been, "The lottery has brought out the specter of the possibility that it has been fixed. Wouldn't it be better to just do away with all doubt and trash the lottery?"

BoneKrusher
06-13-2012, 07:35 PM
A better question might have been, "The lottery has brought out the specter of the possibility that it has been fixed. Wouldn't it be better to just do away with all doubt and trash the lottery?"

yeah, that would have been a better take on it.

BWillie
06-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Think what stern did was out of line. You go on a sports talk radio. You should expect that question to be asked. If you go on the show you should conduct yourself in a professional matter especially if you are a freaking commish

Demonpenz
06-13-2012, 09:40 PM
Seems like Stern has been on before and has been pretty candid about the "problem" players in the league.

Sure-Oz
06-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Rome asked respectfully, handled himself accordingly, and Stern showed his ass. Shocking.

Agreed....sterns a fucking dipshit

Easy 6
06-13-2012, 10:57 PM

Maybe, but that was a BALLBREAKING retort, from one ass to another.

Bowser
06-14-2012, 01:37 AM
Personally, I find it more interesting to learn that Garcia Bronco is David Stern's love child than to analyze the Stern/Rome dipshittery.

Demonpenz
06-14-2012, 07:03 AM
Personally, I find it more interesting to learn that Garcia Bronco is David Stern's love child than to analyze the Stern/Rome dipshittery.

I don't think there was anything loving of that night with Dave and his mercury topaz, he just gave it to GB's mom and her V was open like Oliver Millers mouth on thanksgiving.