PDA

View Full Version : Royals Greinke surprised by Kauffman greeting

Mr. Laz
06-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Greinke surprised by Kauffman greeting

June 14, 2012
If there was ever a doubt about just how nice Kansas City Royals fans can be, their treatment of Zack Greinke is Exhibit A.

Greinke, you'll recall, turned his shoulder on the Royals and the city in 2010, pronounced himself too good to be stuck with such a loser organization, and demanded a trade.

Greinke, bridges burned and nuked, got his wish and the Royals shuffled him off to Milwaukee along with Yuni Betancourt for Jeremy Jeffress, Alcides Escobar, Lorenzo Cain and Jake Odorizzi.

Fast forward to Tuesday night: Greinke, as a Brewer, returned to Kauffman Stadium for the first time since shunning Kansas City and was greeted with ... mostly cheers.

In fact, the predominant sentiment among talk-show callers and in newspaper comments sections suggests Royals fans would take Greinke back in a heartbeat.

Even Greinke seemed amazed at the forgiving nature of Royals fans.

"It's nice because I was pretty rude on the way out," he said after giving up just one run in seven innings against his former team Tuesday. "I felt like I had to (be rude) in order to get out. But I didn't want to have to be the bad guy. I felt like I had to be.

"But I liked it here. Like I said, the fans were great. I don't know (why) so many of them come to the games when they've been bad for so long. But it's pretty impressive. I think they're like beating five or six teams in the American League (in attendance), and some teams are really good, and Kansas City's outdrawing them.

"So that just shows you how, for all that they've been through, to still come out is pretty cool."

These days, Greinke admits he does have some regrets for burning bridges on his way out of Kansas City.

"But I felt like I had to do it," he said. "I felt like the only way would be to force myself out. I don't think anyone would have been able to trade me if I played like this great guy. And so I had to give them motivation to do it."

Now, though, because Greinke will be a free-agent after this season, Royals fans are fantasizing that the team could sign Greinke back.

Those dreams were fueled even more a month ago when George Brett revealed that he had attempted to buy Greinke's condo near the Plaza but was told Greinke would not sell.

Greinke said Tuesday night that no one should read anything into that.

"No, that has nothing to do with anything," Greinke said. "Sorry to break it to everyone. I got a two-year lease (from a renter), so it was like, 'Might as well rent it out.' And when I got married, it was our first home, so my wife doesn't really want to get rid of it, either."

As far as signing back with the Royals next year, Greinke did suggest anything is possible.

"I mean, maybe," he said. "But I'm still with the Brewers. I like playing in Milwaukee. And, the guys here are great. The organization's great. And the city is good. Coming back to Kansas City, though, I mean the city is really nice, too."

Of course, the big question would be: Are the Royals now competitive enough to be attractive to Greinke?

"I don't know," he said. "Some of those guys are pretty good hitters, though. A lot of power, it seems like. I don't know if their power numbers have been really good, but you know it when you're facing them; you can't really make a mistake, or else they can do some damage."

So the Royals are getting better in Greinke's mind?

"Offense-wise, yea, they are," he said. "Defense-wise, I don't know. I know they got Escobar and Cain and some more defensive-minded guys. … Pitching is probably about the same. Bullpen looks good now. I felt like (the relievers) were pretty good when I was there, too, the last couple years.

"It might be better now. I think they have like, maybe the best bullpen in baseball. I'm not positive about that. They all throw all pretty hard.

"But I'm with the Brewers right now. Happy to be with them."

gblowfish
06-14-2012, 12:08 PM
He should quit answering questions and go pork his beauty queen wifey.....

Strongside
06-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Grienke's interviews have always been my favorite thing about him. The guy can't NOT answer a question honestly. I seriously hope no one ever asks him to cover up a murder for them.

Saulbadguy
06-14-2012, 12:14 PM
I don't blame anyone for leaving the Royals in any manner, really.

tredadda
06-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Oh how sweet it would be if he resigned with us as a FA. We would have traded him for 4 solid players (who could end up as studs) and all Mil got for him was two years of service. We bring him back next year and add him to a rotation that should be pretty decent if some of the prospects we have sitting in AAA pan out.

mr. tegu
06-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Oh how sweet it would be if he resigned with us as a FA. We would have traded him for 4 solid players (who could end up as studs) and all Mil got for him was two years of service. We bring him back next year and add him to a rotation that should be pretty decent if some of the prospects we have sitting in AAA pan out.

I was thinking the same thing. I was also thinking this while at the game on Tuesday while cheering for him. I am thinking lots of others were thinking something similar. We know Zach needs to feel as comfortable as possible where he goes so cheering for him lets him know he would be well supported by the fans if he came back.

Thig Lyfe
06-14-2012, 08:36 PM

LET'S DO IT!!!

KcMizzou
06-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Grienke's interviews have always been my favorite thing about him. The guy can't NOT answer a question honestly. I seriously hope no one ever asks him to cover up a murder for them.Absolutely. It's refreshing. In 99% of sports interviews you can predict the answer to every question.

Kyle DeLexus
06-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Absolutely. It's refreshing. In 99% of sports interviews you can predict the answer to every question.

ROFL the best part of the article was the last sentence. Most players would say that right at the beginning when asked this kind of question, but Greinke just says whats on his mind and then remembers it's a sports interview and says what is expected of him.

Demonpenz
06-14-2012, 10:38 PM
My two favorite Grienke stories. 1.) Alex Gordon was really slumping (imagine that!) and Grienke goes.... lets go back to the clubhouse I got a video to show you. Gordon thinks its going to be something to help his swing but Grienke shows a video of himself hitting a homerun 440 feet in Arizona. The other one was when he stayed in a game and got big cheers, and he didn't know why he anyone was cheering so loud, he looked out to see if Soria was coming in LMAO.

Demonpenz
06-14-2012, 10:39 PM
Grienke and Chen maybe too much bullshit for one pitching staff, not one Redass on the staff really. Although Grienke proved he would drill a dude.

tredadda
06-14-2012, 11:16 PM
My two favorite Grienke stories. 1.) Alex Gordon was really slumping (imagine that!) and Grienke goes.... lets go back to the clubhouse I got a video to show you. Gordon thinks its going to be something to help his swing but Grienke shows a video of himself hitting a homerun 440 feet in Arizona. The other one was when he stayed in a game and got big cheers, and he didn't know why he anyone was cheering so loud, he looked out to see if Soria was coming in LMAO.

ROFL

Fairplay
06-14-2012, 11:51 PM
So the Royals are getting better in Greinke's mind?

Great fans, Great stadium, good team but Youst blows.

tomahawkchop25
06-14-2012, 11:52 PM

the best part was after showing alex that home run, zack goes "in case you forgot, this is what a home run looks like."

Gonzo
06-15-2012, 01:13 AM
"surprised by the fans" huh?
I'm sure both of them still thought he was on the kc roster, FFS.

Codered
06-15-2012, 07:14 AM
I just don't see any way this match happens again. Price, past feelings, and nearly every team will probably show interest gives me little to no hope we see Zach return to KC.

gblowfish
06-15-2012, 09:42 AM
Greinke's wifey is hot!
http://i45.tinypic.com/16lir8l.jpg

Predarat
06-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Good that he lost but did not pitch bad, good WHIP and decent ERA.

sedated
06-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Greinke's wifey is hot!

Former Cowboys cheerleader IIRC

Captain Obvious
06-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Good that he lost but did not pitch bad, good WHIP and decent ERA.

He didn't get the loss for that game.

tomahawk kid
06-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Heard from a fairly reliable source that the chances of Grienke returning to KC are roughly the same as me winning the lottery.

Codered
06-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Heard from a fairly reliable source that the chances of Grienke returning to KC are roughly the same as me winning the lottery.

I expect there is zero chance that Greinke is back.

tomahawk kid
06-15-2012, 02:51 PM
I expect there is zero chance that Greinke is back.

This was within the context of "even if he wanted to".

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-15-2012, 04:26 PM
I just don't see any way this match happens again. Price, past feelings, and nearly every team will probably show interest gives me little to no hope we see Zach return to KC.

Agreed. I've heard $100-$125 mill thrown around. There's no way we pay that and I fine with not paying it for a guy that quit once already. Yes I understand why he wanted out but what happens after we pay him that kind of money and we aren't exactly what he thinks we should be and he gets twingy again. No thanks imo.

Deberg_1990
06-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Agreed. I've heard $100-$125 mill thrown around. There's no way we pay that and I fine with not paying it for a guy that quit once already. Yes I understand why he wanted out but what happens after we pay him that kind of money and we aren't exactly what he thinks we should be and he gets twingy again. No thanks imo.

yea, i guess i wouldnt mind seeing him come back, but hes not. Royals just wont spend that kind of jack.

Honestly, hes got great stuff, but hes a mental midget at times. He wasnt even that good in the playoffs last year.

duncan_idaho
06-15-2012, 05:03 PM

I heard the same from a good friend - who had a off-record conversation with Dayton Moore about it.

As far as Greinke's contract... I just don't see it surpassing that of Matt Cain (made this point on the Scout forum earlier today). Cain is the same age, more durable, has been more consistently better (though he had yet to reach Greinke's 2009 heights until this year) and isn't a borderline nutcase.

Cain's contract is the most expensive ever awarded to a RHP. I just can't see a similar but more risky talent getting the same amount, even on the open market - and especially when Greinke won't have the Yankees, Red Sox, etc. bidding on him.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-15-2012, 05:04 PM
yea, i guess i wouldnt mind seeing him come back, but hes not. Royals just wont spend that kind of jack.

Honestly, hes got great stuff, but hes a mental midget at times. He wasnt even that good in the playoffs last year.

Agree completely with your second line. If he were more "stable" I'd be all for it but he's not. He's high risk imo... not because of his ability but because of his mental makeup. I don't even think the Royals SHOULD spend that kind of jack on him. Let someone else take the risk.

TLO
06-23-2014, 11:36 AM
How will he be received tonight?

Fish
06-23-2014, 11:42 AM
I liked Zach. But he was an unstable dick most of the time. I don't think he's the type of person that could ever be personable in the same way as other athletes, because of his mental issues.

KCUnited
06-23-2014, 11:45 AM
LMAO Dr Facebook Fever??

I was at that game and I believe Gordon leadoff with a HR against him.

WhawhaWhat
06-23-2014, 11:50 AM
LMAO Dr Facebook Fever??

I was at that game and I believe Gordon leadoff with a HR against him.

Only run he gave up that day in 7 IP and still didn't get the win.

BWillie
06-23-2014, 11:58 AM
Grienke's interviews have always been my favorite thing about him. The guy can't NOT answer a question honestly. I seriously hope no one ever asks him to cover up a murder for them.

It's refreshing how blunt he is. I love it. I think it was when he was signed with that big contract in LA, they asked him what made him choose LA. Most guys go with the lip service of oh yeah great ownership, love the city bla bla bla. He was just like, well you see, they paid me the most. Everybody just looked at him stunned.

Sannyasi
06-23-2014, 12:11 PM
Always been a big Greinke fan. His 2009 season was one of the few bright spots on a number of bad years for the Royals. I can't blame him for wanting to leave to play for a team in contention, where the games actually matter.

mikey23545
06-23-2014, 01:54 PM

I don't give a fuck how he's received, I just hope he leaves with no outs in the first inning with the bases loaded and having surrendered 14 earned runs...

Bad enough that his 2 cent skull cracks wide open again and even his million dollar shrinks can't put it back together...

KC stood by his sorry ass when no other team would have and first chance for a bigger payday comes along...He gone!

mikey23545
06-23-2014, 01:55 PM

I don't give a fuck how he's received, I just hope he leaves with no outs in the first inning with the bases loaded after having surrendered 14 earned runs...

Bad enough that his 2 cent skull cracks wide open again and even his million dollar shrinks can't put it back together...

KC stood by his sorry ass when no other team would have and first chance for a bigger payday comes along...He gone!

Why Not?
06-23-2014, 01:56 PM
if some of the prospects we have sitting in AAA pan out.

Hahhhha. Who do you think we are? The A's ?

gblowfish
06-23-2014, 02:45 PM
One of the reasons he went to the NL is he likes to hit.

mikey23545
06-23-2014, 02:55 PM
One of the reasons he went to the NL is he likes to hit money.

FYP.

SAUTO
06-23-2014, 02:58 PM
I don't give a fuck how he's received, I just hope he leaves with no outs in the first inning with the bases loaded after having surrendered 14 earned runs...

I thought we traded him...
Posted via Mobile Device

kcxiv
06-23-2014, 03:06 PM

And he's fucking good at hitting.

GloryDayz
06-23-2014, 03:38 PM
Fuck that mommy sucking freak!

BWillie
06-23-2014, 03:53 PM

Higher career batting average than Mike Moustakas avg of this year.

Pablo
06-23-2014, 03:54 PM
I can't understand the hate for a legitimately talented guy who gave us a Cy Young season.

Sure, he skipped town. I don't blame him. I don't blame any KC athlete for getting out of this trap of misery ASAP.

Iowanian
06-23-2014, 04:01 PM
Greinke's wifey is hot!
http://i45.tinypic.com/16lir8l.jpg

She could use that camel toe to throw a bitchin' split finger.

eDave
06-23-2014, 04:32 PM
I can't understand the hate for a legitimately talented guy who gave us a Cy Young season.

Sure, he skipped town. I don't blame him. I don't blame any KC athlete for getting out of this trap of misery ASAP.

Each and every one of these dudes would do the same thing if in the same position. Butt hurt women.

Mr. Laz
06-23-2014, 04:33 PM

this

Pepe Silvia
06-23-2014, 04:41 PM
His interviews are interesting, sounds like he's on Quaaludes.

GloryDayz
06-23-2014, 05:46 PM

Because you can't treat him like a war-time traitor. It'd be considered uncool.

This town put up with a lot of shit and time off from that legitimately talented Cy Young guy, and he basically acted like we had just treated him like the run-of-the-mill player when he was legally able to do so.

And we all know that playing for Glass or the Hunt family is the career-equivalent of the kiss-of-death relative to championship runs.

carcosa
06-23-2014, 06:40 PM

I miss him but definitely hold no grudge.

Sure-Oz
06-23-2014, 07:11 PM
Miss Zack, hell of a pitcher and so awkward and funny...i dont blame him for getting the fuck out.

Doesn't Butler hate him?

lewdog
06-23-2014, 07:17 PM
Miss Zack, hell of a pitcher and so awkward and funny...i dont blame him for getting the **** out.

Doesn't Butler hate him?

Yea, Billy was jealous of Zack's metabolism.

Lex Luthor
06-23-2014, 07:24 PM
I miss him but definitely hold no grudge.

I do. I have no respect for any player who doesn't care enough about the game or the fans to give 100% effort on the field.

I hated Gary Sheffield when he deliberately tanked it to get out of Milwaukee in 1991. I hated Manny Ramirez when he decided he wanted to leave Boston in 2008, so he pretended to be injured. (When he was traded to the Dodgers he suddenly got healthy and hit .396 for the final 50 gamse of the season. Yeah, that was some injury!) And I hated Paul Palmer when he got pissed off at a Chiefs coach and said he was going to "lay the ball on the ground", and then he fumbled in the very next game he played.

I hate players who don't try. Greinke didn't try his last half-season with the Royals. He admitted it multiple times. **** him.

GloryDayz
06-23-2014, 08:05 PM
See ya BITCH!!!!!!!!!!! Now go cuddle with your mother Zach!