PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Lowes Return

SAUTO
06-18-2012, 11:51 AM
so i go to lowe's the other day to return a vanity/sink/ mirror.

they tell me i had already returned the items.

i tell them i could'nt have they are on my wheelie thing right here.

they give me a return receipt that someone had signed my name on.

NOT MY SIGNATURE.

they call the employee who did the transaction and he promptly QUITS.

they refuse to get the local PD involved wanting to let their loss prevention handle it.

wont tell me if he could have gotten my debit card # or anything like that.

now i have to cancel that card.

SO what says the planet should I:

call the local PD and get them involved myself?
demand that lowe's give me SOMETHING just for all this hassle (took me 2 hours to return this item all the while they are calling "backup to returns desk" and everyone and their mother sees me and my family standing there by ourselves) and now i have to deal with getting a new card.

hell 2 employees acted as though they were going to physically detain me right up until i told them they better get the police there because as soon as they touched me i was going to start knocking mother fuckers out...

fucked up deal IMO.

so whats the planet's opinion on this one?

Bugeater
06-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Home Depot.

Deberg_1990
06-18-2012, 11:56 AM
hell 2 employees acted as though they were going to physically detain me right up until i told them they better get the police there because as soon as they touched me i was going to start knocking mother ****ers out...

Well that was certainly an appropriate way to deal with the situation, especially considering your family was right there with you.

SAUTO
06-18-2012, 11:57 AM
Home Depot.

not one within 90 miles...

and these assholes asked if i had any other shopping to do when they FINALLY gave me the money.

i told them i would go across the road to menards and spend my money

Lumpy
06-18-2012, 11:58 AM
It sounds like an inside job. Perhaps that employee, (the one that quit), had a friend pose as you for a return to get money. I could be wrong, but hell, anything is possible.

The Franchise
06-18-2012, 11:59 AM
So let me get this straight.....all of that happened.....and you just left with the items again? Or did they return them and give you a gift card or something?

SAUTO
06-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Well that was certainly an appropriate way to deal with the situation, especially considering your family was right there with you.

yeah probably not but at that point i was BOILING. they were basically accusing me of stealing and them call all these little douchebags to keep me there when i never even tried to leave.

meh my little one knows daddy isnt to be fucked with by any male. it's good IMO she wont let some little fucker ever intimidate her thats for fucking sure.

Johnny Vegas
oh hell yea call I'd call PD. Lowes could've broken policy by having falsely accused you and had back up to contain you. Could be an inside op. Nuthooks.

SAUTO
So let me get this straight.....all of that happened.....and you just left with the items again? Or did they return them and give you a gift card or something?

fuck no they ended up giving me straight cash.

The Franchise
06-18-2012, 12:02 PM
fuck no they ended up giving me straight cash.

I guess the only thing that you would be calling the cops for then is to make sure that no one got your information. The cops should be able to at least make Lowes provide them with the security footage of the return.

Johnny Vegas
06-18-2012, 12:03 PM
I guess the only thing that you would be calling the cops for then is to make sure that no one got your information. The cops should be able to at least make Lowes provide them with the security footage of the return.

exactly. Thats also a federal crime to sign someone else's signature. Am I wrong? Forgery right?

vailpass
06-18-2012, 12:06 PM
Direct contact with the store manager detailing what happened including your suspicion that there was criminal activity on the part of one or more of his employees involving forgery of your name , what losses you incurred including public embarrassment due to false accusations on the part of his employees, and all other pertinent facts. Then ask what his response is to your situation. If it isn't satisfactory thank him for his time and contact Lowes Corporate offices.

SAUTO
06-18-2012, 12:07 PM

forged my name, had a receipt.

they went through the footage and saw it wasnt me. compared signatures

only reason i got the money back.

hell they told me i couldnt leave with the merchandise too.

told them fuckers i was leaving with money, merch., or in cuffs.

but they better get the police there before they tried anything else.

SAUTO
06-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Direct contact with the store manager detailing what happened including your suspicion that there was criminal activity on the part of one or more of his employees involving forgery of your name , what losses you incurred including public embarrassment due to false accusations on the part of his employees, and all other pertinent facts. Then ask what his response is to your situation. If it isn't satisfactory thank him for his time and contact Lowes Corporate offices.

did that this AM. he said loss prevention was on it but the store refuses to get PD involved, says they dont see how they could have gotten my debit card info. but they got my name and receipt and waited exactly 4 saturdays to do this .

and yeah its obviously an employee at the time.

they called him to ask what he did on the return and where the second slipp would be and he called back and quit.

i'm in the middle of a huge project and have tons of money in that account.

WV
06-18-2012, 12:11 PM

told them ****ers i was leaving with money, merch., or in cuffs.

Press charges for the forgery against the former employee, then bring a case against Lowes for allowing it to happen. They should require valid ID and obviously they didn't.

Johnny Vegas
06-18-2012, 12:12 PM
if you don't fucking call PD right now I will!

DeezNutz
06-18-2012, 12:14 PM

told them ****ers i was leaving with money, merch., or in cuffs.

I have this mental image of a 19-year-old pissing himself. LMAO.

vail's offered solid advice here.

MIAdragon
06-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Home Depot.

LMAO

SAUTO
06-18-2012, 12:17 PM

oh dude these little douches were ready to run.

i'm a decent sized guy and stood there and smiled at these guys when i was telling them all that. they moved quite a ways away, and from that point on kept the counter between us.

Lumpy
06-18-2012, 12:20 PM

This.

I don't know if Lowes uses a POS system, but IIRC, a duplicate receipt print-out should show up in the transaction history. That would be the only way that this person could have had a paper receipt.

OnTheWarpath15
06-18-2012, 12:21 PM
Absolutely get the police involved.

Bugeater
06-18-2012, 12:23 PM
I can't believe they made you stand around and stew after the employee quit, that should've told them all they needed to know about what happened.

And FWIW, Menard's isn't any gooder.

Codered
06-18-2012, 12:24 PM
I agree. I don't see the negative of at least contact the PD. If things should be handled internally then they can make that call.

DeezNutz
06-18-2012, 12:25 PM
oh dude these little douches were ready to run.

i'm a decent sized guy and stood there and smiled at these guys when i was telling them all that. they moved quite a ways away, and from that point on kept the counter between us.

I don't doubt it or blame you one bit.

If your personal information has indeed been compromised, chatting with the police wouldn't be a bad thing to do, either. Explain the situation and they can offer advice before you commit to any course of action.

The Franchise
06-18-2012, 12:25 PM

told them fuckers i was leaving with money, merch., or in cuffs.

Take Vail's advice.

mikey23545
06-18-2012, 12:26 PM
did that this AM. he said loss prevention was on it but the store refuses to get PD involved, says they dont see how they could have gotten my debit card info. but they got my name and receipt and waited exactly 4 saturdays to do this .

and yeah its obviously an employee at the time.

they called him to ask what he did on the return and where the second slipp would be and he called back and quit.

i'm in the middle of a huge project and have tons of money in that account.

I don't think he could have gotten your credit card number from the receipt...Every receipt I've ever seen only has the last 4 digits of the card number on it.

That being said, I still would notify the police no matter what that dickhead manager said.

Bwana
06-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Without question, get the cops involved and press charges. There is no way I woud let the little punk ass bitch walk, after pulling that crap.

Buck
06-18-2012, 12:31 PM
I doubt he stole your CC info.

mnchiefsguy
06-18-2012, 12:32 PM
I agree with Vailpass, but I would also call and get the police involved. Lowes has their best interests in mind, not yours, and you have to do whatever you can to protect your identity.

Bugeater
06-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Without question, get the cops involved and press charges. There is no way I woud let the little punk ass bitch walk, after pulling that crap.
The thing is, the actual crime here was against Lowe's, not Jason. He was just inconvenienced by the whole thing.

SAUTO
06-18-2012, 12:38 PM
I don't think he could have gotten your credit card number from the receipt...Every receipt I've ever seen only has the last 4 digits of the card number on it.

That being said, I still would notify the police no matter what that dickhead manager said.

here's the thing: my name wasnt on the receipt either yet they knew it and signed it to the return slip.

how did they get that?

Lumpy
Also, what exactly did this individual ,(that was posing as you), exchange? The security cameras would confirm if he actually had the items or not. If not, he just handed over a receipt to the employee, signed your name, got the cash, and hauled ass.

SAUTO
The thing is, the actual crime here was against Lowe's, not Jason. He was just inconvenienced by the whole thing.

forged my sig i guess.

SAUTO
06-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Also, what exactly did this individual ,(that was posing as you), exchange? The security cameras would confirm if he actually had the items or not. If not, he just handed over a receipt to the employee, signed your name, got the cash, and hauled ass.

a vanity and sink. walked in picked it up off the shelf and walked to the return desk and got cash.

had a receipt.

pr_capone
06-18-2012, 12:40 PM
I would be making a phone call:

Lowes Corporate Office Headquarters in the USA:
1000 Lowe's Blvd.
Mooresville, NC 28117
Corporate Phone Number: 1-704-758-1000

mikey23545
06-18-2012, 12:41 PM
here's the thing: my name wasnt on the receipt either yet they knew it and signed it to the return slip.

how did they get that?

I don't know unless he or one of his cohorts rang you up when you made the original purchase.

KCUnited
06-18-2012, 12:41 PM
The chances of pulling off a bogus return only to have the real customer come in and return the items have to be slim to none. Probably had been pulling this for a bit.

Frazod
06-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Absolutely get the police involved.

Fuck yes. To hell with what they say.

Lumpy
06-18-2012, 12:53 PM

how did they get that?

You paid w/ your credit card or a Lowes' card? Your signature would be in the system.

a vanity and sink. walked in picked it up off the shelf and walked to the return desk and got cash.

had a receipt.

Obvious crime is obvious. LMAO

The Franchise
06-18-2012, 12:54 PM
The chances of pulling off a bogus return only to have the real customer come in and return the items have to be slim to none. Probably had been pulling this for a bit.

I used to work with a guy at JCPenneys that would do this a couple of times a month. He would check out a customer.....wait a couple of hours.....and then put a return in and take the cash. He pulled that shit for years and then left the store. I don't think any of the management knew what he was doing.

mlyonsd
06-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Wouldn't hurt to at least call the police to see what they can/would do.

The Franchise
06-18-2012, 12:56 PM
I would be making my first call to Lowe's Corporate offices. If they try and brush you off....tell them that you'll be calling the local police.

Frazod
06-18-2012, 12:57 PM
I might place another call to one/all of the local TV stations' news departments. Sounds like something they might a good story out of.

That should get Lowes' attention, too.

vailpass
06-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Depends on what Jason wants to get out of this. Criminal charges against the clerk aren't going to net him anything. Lowes' desire to not have this made public may net something in return for Jason letting it go.

Frazod
06-18-2012, 01:00 PM
I used to work with a guy at JCPenneys that would do this a couple of times a month. He would check out a customer.....wait a couple of hours.....and then put a return in and take the cash. He pulled that shit for years and then left the store. I don't think any of the management knew what he was doing.

Having never worked at a retail job, this particular scam is something I've never even heard of. I wonder how widespread it is?

Bugeater
06-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Not really, people return shit all the time. But these guys waited four weeks, so yeah, at that point the odds of the customer bringing the stuff back is pretty slim.

ChiefsCountry
06-18-2012, 01:08 PM
****ing lowlife Sedalia trash. :#

Go kick some ass Jason.

KCUnited
06-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Not really, people return shit all the time. But these guys waited four weeks, so yeah, at that point the odds of the customer bringing the stuff back is pretty slim.

JSauto likely saved Lowe's thousands by breaking apart this scam.

Jewish Rabbi
06-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Having never worked at a retail job, this particular scam is something I've never even heard of. I wonder how widespread it is?

It's fairly common. I've seen it happen where people aren't even buying the items, but someone will scan it in to "return" it and pocket the cash.

ReynardMuldrake
06-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Call the police.
Take Lowe's to small claims court.
Take the police report with you to court.
Get your money back.

Phobia
06-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Lowes loses tens of thousands of business from me every year due to their return policy. Apparently I returned too many $20 items without a receipt for store credit and they have me blacklisted. When I try to return something they hand me a receipt with an 800 number on it. I call the number, leave my name and contact information and nobody ever calls back. Screw them. They are the absolute last option for me.

SAUTO
06-18-2012, 01:35 PM
You paid w/ your credit card or a Lowes' card? Your signature would be in the system.

debit card.

only thing this acct is used for is the remodel/ addition i'm doing right now.

easy way to keep the funds in check.

Frazod
06-18-2012, 01:36 PM
It's fairly common. I've seen it happen where people aren't even buying the items, but someone will scan it in to "return" it and pocket the cash.

You'd think the money big stores like this would save by policing this shit internally would outweigh the expense of policing this shit internally. Along with getting some thieving shitbags out of jobs where they have easy access to peoples' credit cards.

Of course, you'd also think big stores like this would REQUIRE PHOTO ID FOR EVERY CREDIT CARD TRANSACTION, and that's easy, and still doesn't happen.

:shake:

Dartgod
06-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Call the police.
Take Lowe's to small claims court.
Take the police report with you to court.
Get your money back.

He did get his money back.

Dartgod
06-18-2012, 01:39 PM
You'd think the money big stores like this would save by policing this shit internally would outweigh the expense of policing this shit internally. Along with getting some thieving shitbags out of jobs where they have easy access to peoples' credit cards.

Of course, you'd also think big stores like this would REQUIRE PHOTO ID FOR EVERY CREDIT CARD TRANSACTION, and that's easy, and still doesn't happen.

:shake:

This irritates the shit out of me. I can't recall the last time I was asked for ID when using my CC.

At one time, I even wrote "Please ask for ID" on the signature spot on the back of the card and the dumb ass clerks would look at it and just hand the card back without asking for ID.

Bwana
06-18-2012, 01:54 PM
forged my sig i guess.

Yep and I woud also go the vailpass route and have a come to Jesus with the manager and go higher, if they jerk you around.

AndChiefs
06-18-2012, 01:57 PM

It happened once at a store I worked at as well. She got caught though and went to jail.

Bwana
06-18-2012, 01:58 PM
I would be making my first call to Lowe's Corporate offices. If they try and brush you off....tell them that you'll be calling the local police.

And local media. I bet that would light a fire under their ass in a hurry, if you said "I'd like for you to do the right thing here, but if not, I think I may be able to gt this resolved, by going through the po-po and the local media? It's your call, but I need to know right now."

Bugeater
06-18-2012, 01:58 PM
This irritates the shit out of me. I can't recall the last time I was asked for ID when using my CC.

At one time, I even wrote "Please ask for ID" on the signature spot on the back of the card and the dumb ass clerks would look at it and just hand the card back without asking for ID.
Hell most of the time you don't even hand the clerk the card anymore, you swipe it yourself on the counter.

SAUTO
06-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Yep and I woud also go the vailpass route and have a come to Jesus with the manager and go higher, if they jerk you around.

dude, i just reamed his fucking ass. i have a call in to the local PD, we'll see what they have to say.

and you know i've never been the type to scream about shit and want something for nothing, but i spent 2 hours at this desk and they just kept up with calling for more back up the whole time.

made me look like a common thief. and now i have to cancel my fucking debit card just for peace of mind. i have to use that thing every day at this point in my project...

Phobia
06-18-2012, 02:03 PM
It's funny that they let something like this happen but their other policies screw an honest guy who can't possibly keep track of hundreds of receipts.

Mr. Laz
06-18-2012, 02:04 PM
email/call/contact the Lowe's main office and tell them what happened

They will be more likely to do something

At the very least, i would think you would probably get a store coupon/credit/gift card

The main office isn't going to want word getting out about some kind of return thieving ring working the Lowe's stores.

if you really want to be nasty you can do several things

1. notify police
2. email main office
3. call local news "call for action" type situation (they might run with it)
4. fill out an online review for Lowe's and get the incident into cyber space(never can tell what that is going to do

Bwana
06-18-2012, 02:04 PM

Every one of my cards has ASK FOR ID as my signature, on the back. Only about 50% do.

KCUnited
06-18-2012, 02:05 PM
On a somewhat related note, I can't think of many cluster****s bigger than the Self Checkout at the Home Depot in Midtown. You can build a deck from scratch but can't find the barcode on a leaf blower.

Deberg_1990
06-18-2012, 02:06 PM
Lowes loses tens of thousands of business from me every year due to their return policy. Apparently I returned too many $20 items without a receipt for store credit and they have me blacklisted. When I try to return something they hand me a receipt with an 800 number on it. I call the number, leave my name and contact information and nobody ever calls back. Screw them. They are the absolute last option for me.

Its not just Lowes. Alot of big box stores have that policy now.

Bwana
06-18-2012, 02:08 PM
dude, i just reamed his ****ing ass. i have a call in to the local PD, we'll see what they have to say.

and you know i've never been the type to scream about shit and want something for nothing, but i spent 2 hours at this desk and they just kept up with calling for more back up the whole time.

made me look like a common thief. and now i have to cancel my ****ing debit card just for peace of mind. i have to use that thing every day at this point in my project...

I would also use the main number that someone posted above, and make a call there as well. When the manager starts getting calls from the suit guys, he's going to want try to make it go away.

Lumpy
06-18-2012, 02:14 PM
debit card.

only thing this acct is used for is the remodel/ addition i'm doing right now.

easy way to keep the funds in check.

So, you just entered your pin number, right? That's why the signatures didn't even come close. What a couple of amateurs. :facepalm:

I doubt these pricks planned on using your digits anywhere else, they just nabbed your name for a quick buck, courtesy of Lowes. It was a good move that you cancelled the card though... just in case.

Sorry you had to go through this BS. :(

cdcox
06-18-2012, 02:14 PM
I had an interesting story at Best Buy last week. I bought a Bosch dishwasher a week ago last Saturday. It was delivered last Thursday. I start working on the install, and I notice that it is wet inside. WTF? I figure someone installed it ran a load and then had it uninstalled. Ok, no big deal as long as it works. Keep working with it, when I notice that there are ink stars printed on the stainless steel door. They aren't coming off.

Oh, was I mad then. Because that meant that the reason that someone had returned it was because of the ink stars, and still despite knowing this, they shipped it out again. It's one thing to get a defective product, it is another when someone knew that it was defective when they shipped it out.

So I head to Best Buy. After getting denial that this could happen from the customer service clerk I ask to speak to the manger. I am polite, but make it clear how frustrated I am. He orders me a new one (to be delivered tomorrow) and knocks $100 off the price. Then they notice that it had gone on sale since Saturday. I ask for the sales price, plus the $100 discount. They agree. So I'm saving $200. I'm happy, as long as this one doesn't have stars printed on the door.

penguinz
06-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Every one of my cards has ASK FOR ID as my signature, on the back. Only about 50% do.Technically the retailer is not allowed to accept a visa or mastercard that does not have a legit signature on it.

*at least that used to be their policy.*

Predarat
06-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Thats awful, a co worker did an online order there and it took them damn near 45 minutes to get it to the counter when it should have already been there. That was the whole point of the online order. But it would have been faster to walk in, get the stuff and check out.

Bwana
06-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Technically the retailer is not allowed to accept a visa or mastercard that does not have a legit signature on it.

*at least that used to be their policy.*

I have only been given a hard time once about it and it was at the ****ing post office. :spock:

I went in to buy a roll of stamps and Cliff ****in Claven starts flipping me shit about a no signature card. I gave him three forms of ID and he still would not take it. I told him, No wonder you ****ers are the laughing stock of so many jokes" and left.

The funny part was, I walked around the corner IN THE POST OFFICE, stuck the card in one of those stamp machines and got my stamps.

That was a whole new level of stupid.

cosmo20002
06-18-2012, 02:33 PM
It's funny that they let something like this happen but their other policies screw an honest guy who can't possibly keep track of hundreds of receipts.

Home Depot (and Target and many other stores) can scan your credit card, scan the item, and it "finds" your receipt, or at least when you bought the item and what you paid. Lowes doesn't do this?

T-post Tom
06-18-2012, 02:39 PM
How did the employee get cash? Lowes told me that you only get a credit on debit cards or credit cards. They've got issues.

vailpass
06-18-2012, 02:41 PM
How did the employee get cash? Lowes told me that you only get a credit on debit cards or credit cards.

Perhaps there is an exception clause that is triggered when one of their own employees commits criminal fraud and forgery using the customer's confidential information.

T-post Tom
06-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Perhaps there is an exception clause that is triggered when one of their own employees commits criminal fraud and forgery using the customer's confidential information.

Must be.

vailpass
06-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Must be.

Sounds like giving him his cash back was the only smart move Lowes made that day.

AndChiefs
06-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Must be.

There's usually an override in the system for that type of thing (I don't know Lowe's but I know other stores). They say they won't give cash but if you complain enough there's a way around it. Usually you would need a manager's approval though.

Bugeater
06-18-2012, 02:50 PM
How did the employee get cash? Lowes told me that you only get a credit on debit cards or credit cards. They've got issues.
I believe that is only if the transaction hasn't been processed yet. Remember, these guys pulled their stunt four weeks after the original purchase.

redsurfer11
06-18-2012, 03:10 PM
I was in Lowes Saturday buying primers and undercoating. I paid with a $100 bill. The cashier then asks me for my phone number in case the $ 100 was a fake. I said absolutely not going to happen. The cashier didn't pursue it further. Way to treat your customers like criminals while making a purchase.

AndChiefs
06-18-2012, 03:12 PM
I was in Lowes Saturday buying primers and undercoating. I paid with a $100 bill. The cashier then asks me for my phone number in case the $ 100 was a fake. I said absolutely not going to happen. The cashier didn't pursue it further. Way to treat your customers like criminals while making a purchase.

Wow that's absurd. That's why they put in all the anti-counterfeiting tools. How about training your employee's how to determine if it's real or fake rather than treating someone like a common criminal?

DaFace
06-18-2012, 03:16 PM
You got your money back, right? If that's the case, and you've already cancelled your card, I don't really see what getting the cops involved does. The crime was theft against the store - not you.

I know you lost a couple hours of time, but they're not going to give you anything for that. They're just not.

Phobia
06-18-2012, 03:18 PM
Home Depot (and Target and many other stores) can scan your credit card, scan the item, and it "finds" your receipt, or at least when you bought the item and what you paid. Lowes doesn't do this?

They do. I deal in cash.

DaFace
06-18-2012, 03:18 PM

If they'd already done a return on the purchase (to the thief), their system probably didn't have any way of crediting to a card. The only reason they like to do it that way in the first place is that they save money that way over cash.

Phobia
06-18-2012, 03:20 PM
You got your money back, right? If that's the case, and you've already cancelled your card, I don't really see what getting the cops involved does. The crime was theft against the store - not you.

I know you lost a couple hours of time, but they're not going to give you anything for that. They're just not.

No, they will. If one of these retailers take an unacceptable amount of time they always give me something for my wasted time. I was sitting an hour waiting on a delivery order one time and they gave me 10% off my order.

BigMeatballDave
06-18-2012, 03:21 PM

Actually, they should give him some kind of store credit for the inconvenience.

If it were me, I would never shop there again, and I'd tell them I'm going to inform everyone I know about this incident.

DaFace
06-18-2012, 03:24 PM
No, they will. If one of these retailers take an unacceptable amount of time they always give me something for my wasted time. I was sitting an hour waiting on a delivery order one time and they gave me 10% off my order.

Sure - the store might. But the cops aren't going to go to Lowes and ask them to give you a discount.

bobbymitch
06-18-2012, 03:28 PM

I agree. The Bosslady wanted a Dyson vacuum and we found the model she wanted at Target. The cashier screwed up scanning in Target gift cards and a American Express Gift card. He could reload the Target cards, but the AmEx was immediately debited and zero'd out. We waited 2 hours while they called AmEx and trying to find their AmEx merchant number. It took them 3 calls to Target Corporate to find it. Not only did Target take 20% off the Dyson, but gave us another $100 gift card for our waiting.

LOCOChief
06-18-2012, 03:32 PM
In the event that you are a victim of identity theft which is very difficult to battle back from, you'd probably be sorry that you didn't file a report of you don't.

Brock
06-18-2012, 03:43 PM

I get cash on returns all the time.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-18-2012, 04:12 PM
the crime committed was against Lowes, not you, so you have no standing to involve the police.

it is highly unlikely he was able to access your account numbers. He was likely able to get your name from the POS system, but those systems do not display account numbers. If you are concerned, your bank will cancel your cards and reissue you a new number, and that will fully resolve any issue.

By the way, signing someone's name to a receipt for a return is not forgery. A receipt in an of ittself is not a financial instrument. Forgery applies to checks and other "financial instruments".

SAUTO
06-18-2012, 04:33 PM
If they'd already done a return on the purchase (to the thief), their system probably didn't have any way of crediting to a card. The only reason they like to do it that way in the first place is that they save money that way over cash.
I had another small item I was returning and they gave me cash for that right off
Posted via Mobile Device

06-18-2012, 04:37 PM

They wanted your number so they could swap it out with a fake and then pin it on you.

SAUTO
06-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Sad thing is I have probably spent close to ten thousand dollars in that store in the last couple of Weeks...

No more though, and I'm not even close to being done spending
Posted via Mobile Device

vailpass
06-18-2012, 04:43 PM
the crime committed was against Lowes, not you, so you have no standing to involve the police.

it is highly unlikely he was able to access your account numbers. He was likely able to get your name from the POS system, but those systems do not display account numbers. If you are concerned, your bank will cancel your cards and reissue you a new number, and that will fully resolve any issue.

By the way, signing someone's name to a receipt for a return is not forgery. A receipt in an of ittself is not a financial instrument. Forgery applies to checks and other "financial instruments".

If someone is forging my signature they have committed a crime against me. Identity theft. Forgery. Who knows what else? Isn't a signed piece of paper which you exchange for money a financial instrument?

SAUTO
06-18-2012, 04:44 PM
If someone is forging my signature they have committed a crime against me. Identity theft. Forgery. Who knows what else?

That's the way I look at it too...

Having a talk with the P.D. tomorrow after they talk with the manager
Posted via Mobile Device

vailpass
06-18-2012, 04:45 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Don't blame you. If someone was writing my signature I'd have my attorney on it quick fast in a hurry.

Bwana
06-18-2012, 04:46 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Good call, I would be pissed.

vailpass
06-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Good call, I would be pissed.

Yep. And I'd want to know if they were signing my name to anything else.

SAUTO
06-18-2012, 04:49 PM
I just figure I should at least get this all documented just in case I start getting hits on that acct. If anything ever comes up I'll be good.
Posted via Mobile Device

Johnny Vegas
06-18-2012, 04:53 PM

how is that not forgery? when it involves your signature it is the theft of your identity. There was money involved as well. Its an actionable crime of forgery.

qabbaan
06-18-2012, 05:02 PM
The employee is stealing. Common theft scheme. He creates a fake return and steals that amount of cash out of the till. He was unlucky to actually have the item get returned. Probably did it many times before and didn't get caught

I don't think the employee would have your credit card information. He probably just pocketed a receipt and scanned it for the return later, but the CC info isnt printed on it

I would let corporate know. This thieving piece of trash needs to go to jail.

Titty Meat
06-18-2012, 05:28 PM
JA should call the cops. Makes you wonder who else they've done this to and on what scale?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

SAUTO
06-18-2012, 05:35 PM
The employee is stealing. Common theft scheme. He creates a fake return and steals that amount of cash out of the till. He was unlucky to actually have the item get returned. Probably did it many times before and didn't get caught

I don't think the employee would have your credit card information. He probably just pocketed a receipt and scanned it for the return later, but the CC info isnt printed on it

I would let corporate know. This thieving piece of trash needs to go to jail. again how would he have gotten my name? Not anywhere on my receipt.
Posted via Mobile Device

ohiobronco2
06-18-2012, 05:55 PM
I worked for and with Lowe's for about 10 years. You wouldn't believe some of the houses I've been in as an installer and some of the shit that has taken place in the store as an associate. As a rule, they are not allowed to detain you. We had folks load up garbage cans full of stuff and dumb ass cashiers would never check, LP would stop to question them and then the individuals would sprint away. People would also go to outside lawn and garden and throw stuff under or over the fence. My favorite though was when I worked in plumbing and somebody purchased a faucet, took it home and installed it and then returned their original faucet (plastic band around the box). The person at the front desk never checked and we only discovered it when customer opened the box before checkout.

Valiant
06-18-2012, 06:49 PM
so i go to lowe's the other day to return a vanity/sink/ mirror.

they tell me i had already returned the items.

i tell them i could'nt have they are on my wheelie thing right here.

they give me a return receipt that someone had signed my name on.

NOT MY SIGNATURE.

they call the employee who did the transaction and he promptly QUITS.

they refuse to get the local PD involved wanting to let their loss prevention handle it.

wont tell me if he could have gotten my debit card # or anything like that.

now i have to cancel that card.

SO what says the planet should I:

call the local PD and get them involved myself?
demand that lowe's give me SOMETHING just for all this hassle (took me 2 hours to return this item all the while they are calling "backup to returns desk" and everyone and their mother sees me and my family standing there by ourselves) and now i have to deal with getting a new card.

hell 2 employees acted as though they were going to physically detain me right up until i told them they better get the police there because as soon as they touched me i was going to start knocking mother ****ers out...

****ed up deal IMO.

so whats the planet's opinion on this one?

They want their people to handle it so they don't get fucked by the media and corporate..

Call the police and have them file a report, there is a good chance they stole your information and also it is bigger then just you.. Well, unless they want to give you like a 3k spending spree..

qabbaan
06-18-2012, 06:53 PM
Is Stan Kramer still around?

Valiant
06-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Press charges for the forgery against the former employee, then bring a case against Lowes for allowing it to happen. They should require valid ID and obviously they didn't.

You do not need ID for returns.. It is actually against the some merchant law as long as it is signed or used to be..

Why you want to call the PD, this was an inside job.. They probably did this a lot.. Lowes will not want it getting out and scaring everyone.. The PD needs to be called and an investigation called..

Problem is, Lowes might say they do not know what you are talking about and tell you, you are not allowed back in the store..

Maybe consumerist.com will take up your cause..

Dayze
06-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Based upon the recent picture of Bane in the faces and names thread, I highly recommend bringing him with you.

Valiant
06-18-2012, 06:56 PM

This is true, but they can process your return and steal the money.. And they could of also skim the card and get the security code..

cosmo20002
06-18-2012, 06:57 PM
They do. I deal in cash.

That's your choice, but that means you need to hold onto your receipts.

Doesn't seem unreasonable that a store might want some proof you actually bought the item, bought it there (and when, and for how much) if you want money back.

SAUTO
06-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Based upon the recent picture of Bane in the faces and names thread, I highly recommend bringing him with you.

Got him and mo on my speed dial.
Posted via Mobile Device

Valiant
06-18-2012, 07:31 PM
I have only been given a hard time once about it and it was at the ****ing post office. :spock:

I went in to buy a roll of stamps and Cliff ****in Claven starts flipping me shit about a no signature card. I gave him three forms of ID and he still would not take it. I told him, No wonder you ****ers are the laughing stock of so many jokes" and left.

The funny part was, I walked around the corner IN THE POST OFFICE, stuck the card in one of those stamp machines and got my stamps.

That was a whole new level of stupid.

I had this same problem with the post office that used to be in metro north mall..
My signature was CID.. They said it is not a valid signature, went around about it.. I said what if my signature said gofuckyourself.. He didn't say anything, then I informed him why he will be getting laid off, because you are gutless nimrods who have zero common sense..

I think six months later they closed down..

Seriously, if the card is signed they are suppose to just take it.. If the card is signed, then you are asking for extra protection.. It is easy to steal a signed credit card then one that says cid and then have to come up with a fake id also..

Irritates me to no end..

hometeam
06-18-2012, 07:43 PM
Jason, was this in Jefferson City?

I know the JC Lowes assistant GM very well, could call him and see if they want to extend you some sort of courtesy.

HoneyBadger
06-18-2012, 07:43 PM
1) calling the police will do nothing. They dont care, and wont care.

2) a lot of stores don't ask for id, its their policy. It has nothing to do the cashiers or if you wrote "check id" on the back.

SAUTO
06-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Sedalia
Posted via Mobile Device

hometeam
06-18-2012, 07:50 PM
1) calling the police will do nothing. They dont care, and wont care.

2) a lot of stores don't ask for id, its their policy. It has nothing to do the cashiers or if you wrote "check id" on the back.

I havent showed ID for Credit/Debit since I worked at Target in Houston when I was like 19 :/

notorious
06-18-2012, 07:53 PM
They do. I deal in cash.

How do you expense it for taxes?

My God, my accountant got pissed when I purchased some material with cash. She told me,"Why don't you just call the IRS and ask them to audit you?"

Paper trails are wonderful. Now, if the customer wants to PAY in cash, I have noooooo problem with that. :D

SAUTO
06-18-2012, 07:57 PM
How do you expense it for taxes?

My God, my accountant got pissed when I purchased some material with cash. She told me,"Why don't you just call the IRS and ask them to audit you?"

Paper trails are wonderful. Now, if the customer wants to PAY in cash, I have noooooo problem with that. :D
This.
Posted via Mobile Device

Phobia
06-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Now, if the customer wants to PAY in cash, I have noooooo problem with that. :D

You don't say?

Phobia
06-18-2012, 09:20 PM
That's your choice, but that means you need to hold onto your receipts.

Doesn't seem unreasonable that a store might want some proof you actually bought the item, bought it there (and when, and for how much) if you want money back.
I'm not asking for cash back - store credit is fine. Lowes is a big enough store they have unique sku's on products they sell so they know it was purchased there. I don't mind taking a loss if I've bought something for full price and it ended up going on sale. Their POS system adjusts for the lowest price.

Brock
06-20-2012, 08:33 AM
Not Lowe's but apparently this is pretty common.

Mexican Citizen Sentenced In Home Depot Scam
Prosecutors said the scam involved stealing merchandise from Home Depot stores, then returning the goods with counterfeit or discarded receipts and receiving in-store credit cards for the merchandise.
Reporter: Associated Press
Email Address: news@kake.com

Story 4 Comments Font Size: Tueday, June 19, 2012

An illegal immigrant has been sentenced in Kansas to two years in federal prison for taking part in a scam that victimized Home Depot stores across the country.

The U.S. Attorney's office says 40-year-old Manuel Gonzalez Gonzalez faces deportation to Mexico when he finishes the sentence he received Tuesday, although he's also charged with a similar crime in California.

Prosecutors said the scam involved stealing merchandise from Home Depot stores, then returning the goods with counterfeit or discarded receipts and receiving in-store credit cards for the merchandise.

Gonzalez was arrested on Interstate 70 in northwestern Kansas last December. A Highway Patrol trooper reported finding hundreds of the Home Depot cards, worth a total of about $69,000.

gblowfish
06-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Why not just deport him now?

chefsos
06-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Why not just deport him now?Wow. Harsh. I'm pretty sure Jason is a US citizen anyway.

Rausch
06-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Not Lowe's but apparently this is pretty common.

Mexican Citizen Sentenced In Home Depot Scam
Reporter: Associated Press
Email Address: news@kake.com

Story 4 Comments Font Size: Tueday, June 19, 2012

An illegal immigrant has been sentenced in Kansas to two years in federal prison for taking part in a scam that victimized Home Depot stores across the country.

The U.S. Attorney's office says 40-year-old Manuel Gonzalez Gonzalez faces deportation to Mexico when he finishes the sentence he received Tuesday, although he's also charged with a similar crime in California.

Gonzalez was arrested on Interstate 70 in northwestern Kansas last December. A Highway Patrol trooper reported finding hundreds of the Home Depot cards, worth a total of about $69,000.

ROFL

Dartgod
06-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Wow. Harsh. I'm pretty sure Jason is a US citizen anyway.

Wow. How about reading the post above the one you quoted?

vailpass
06-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Wow. How about reading the post above the one you quoted?

Meter adjustment may be required.

chefsos
06-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Meter adjustment may be required.No, I was serious.

...ahhh shit! I can't type that with a straight face.

vailpass
06-20-2012, 11:37 AM
No, I was serious.

...ahhh shit! I can't type that with a straight face.

:D

chefsos
06-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Note: Non-smartass post to follow

That shit that Manuel Gonzalez Gonzalez was arrested for, goes on all the time everywhere. It's disgusting. Often it's an inside job too. And it's a major reason why honest guys like Jason get unfairly treated. People in retail stores deal with fuckin' thieves over and over and over, know they're thieves, but usually can't prove it. I couldn't do that job for long because I'd get fired for saying something I'm not supposed to.