PDA

View Full Version : Life Southwest tried booting woman from flight for showing too much cleavage

Deberg_1990
06-19-2012, 12:47 PM
http://jezebel.com/5917845/cover-your-cleavage-for-takeoff-southwest-airlines-screws-up-again

On June 5th, Avital* was boarding a 6 AM flight from Las Vegas to New York in a comfy cotton dress, a loose open flannel shirt and a colorful scarf when she was told that her cleavage was "inappropriate." The airline dealt with the incident as it has many, many times in the past (at least when customers contact media outlets to complain): by offering the aggrieved customer an apology and a refund. Why won't Southwest stop kicking people off flights for reasons even the airline will admit are over-the-top?

Although Avital was told she wouldn't be able to fly if she didn't button up her flannel shirt, she bravely bared her breasts all the way onto the plane. "I didn't want to let the representative's Big Feelings about my breasts change the way I intended to board my flight," she explained. "And lo and behold, the plane didn't fall out of the sky...my cleavage did not interfere with the plane's ability to function properly." Imagine that!

Check out Avital's early morning flying attire; pretty casual, right? (And cute, which is impressive, given that she probably woke up before daybreak.) She wasn't exactly verging into XXX territory with her rope belt and Birkenstock-y sandals. Is it really inappropriate for a self-described large-chested woman to wear a non-constricting sundress on a 100-degree day? More to the point: is it really the airline's responsibility to dictate what is and isn't appropriate apparel? "To add insult to injury, the guy sitting in front of me on the plane was wearing a shirt with an actual Trojan condom embedded behind a clear plastic applique and had no trouble getting on his flight," Avital added. "Slut shaming, pure and simple." We'd have to agree.

Southwest spokesperson Christi McNeill told us that the company offered Avital an apology and a refund "as a gesture of goodwill," but that their Contract of Carriage allows them to refuse to transport a customer whose clothing is lewd, obscene, or patently offensive. "As a Company that promotes a casual and family-focused atmosphere onboard our aircraft and in our airports, we simply ask that our Customers use good judgment and exercise discretion in deference to other Customers who depend on us to provide a comfortable travel experience," she explained after I asked her how customers should dress for Southwest flights so they're not publicly humiliated and/or prohibited from boarding. "Our Flight Crews and Employees are responsible for the safety and comfort of everyone onboard the flight."

Phobia
06-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Thank you southwest!

luv
06-19-2012, 12:52 PM
If she was thin, there would have been zero said. I've seen people wear a lot less on a flight.

qabbaan
06-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Well, that was disappointing.

tredadda
06-19-2012, 12:56 PM
If she was thin, there would have been zero said. I've seen people wear a lot less on a flight.

That is probably true. The better you look, the more you get away with.

Setsuna
06-19-2012, 12:58 PM
That is probably true. The better you look, the more you get away with.

America is such a great place.

Phobia
06-19-2012, 12:59 PM
They should have waited and just dropped her off at 15,000 feet.

siberian khatru
06-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Thank you southwest!

ROFL

jspchief
06-19-2012, 01:01 PM
The only thing I can think of is with that outfit, and what appears to be braless, I can envision that dress not sitting quite so well as it does in that picture.

It's hard to believe a Southwest employee would choose to make a customer mad over what we see with the evidence we've been given. But we're only getting one side of the story.

listopencil
06-19-2012, 01:13 PM

The guy boarding her was probably turned on, then refused to let her fly as a cover up when one of his bro's caught him staring. Does Omaha work for an airline?

DMAC
06-19-2012, 01:14 PM
That's not cleavage, that's an ass. A fat ass.

loochy
06-19-2012, 01:15 PM

Well yeah....who wants to see fat sagboobs?

qabbaan
06-19-2012, 01:17 PM
That's not cleavage, that's an ass. A fat ass.

It's called a frontbutt.

(note that there can be both upper and lower frontbutts, in extreme circumstances)

DMAC
06-19-2012, 01:25 PM
It's called a frontbutt.

(note that there can be both upper and lower frontbutts, in extreme circumstances)

Interesting, I have always called the lower one a "Big Pussy".

Deberg_1990
06-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Thank you southwest!

The Birkenstocks dont do anything for you?

Lumpy
06-19-2012, 02:34 PM
I honestly don't see anything wrong w/ her apparel. It's a little revealing, but hell, I've seen worse. Was she hiding a utility knife in those fun bags?

whoman69
06-19-2012, 03:29 PM
You're taking a flight, not trying to pick up a date. Dress appropriately. If she was even fatter and wore a mini skirt that showed off her cellulite covered thighs, there would be no question you'd all be turned off. However if they're going to be making this type of call, they have to be more consistent.

ReynardMuldrake
06-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Interesting, I have always called the lower one a "Big Pussy".

http://www.henneganbrothers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/vincent_pastore.jpg

DaFace
06-19-2012, 03:34 PM
The only thing I can think of is with that outfit, and what appears to be braless, I can envision that dress not sitting quite so well as it does in that picture.

It's hard to believe a Southwest employee would choose to make a customer mad over what we see with the evidence we've been given. But we're only getting one side of the story.

Yup. All she would have had to do is button up.

BWillie
06-19-2012, 04:14 PM
haha Southwest is awesome. Preventing fat ugly chicks from showing cleavage. My heroes