PDA

View Full Version : Life Anyone ever join a frat??

Sucky
06-19-2012, 02:28 PM
I definitely did not. The thought of living with 60 other guys really turned me off on the idea. Plus, most of these fools have to share a room with other guys. Ghey.

vailpass
06-19-2012, 02:30 PM
GDI til I die but I did love to party with my greek friends.

phisherman
06-19-2012, 02:30 PM
I had a single room in our house.

ChiTown
06-19-2012, 02:31 PM
I was in a Fraternity in College. Good times.......

luv
06-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Did you not get accepted?

Nzoner
06-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Yep and it was a great experience especially the pajama-spolioli party we had with the Tri-Sig sorority.

Deberg_1990
06-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Lambda Lambda Lambda

ChiTown
06-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Lambda Lambda Lambda

http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/uploads/post-106641-1253660242.jpg

vailpass
06-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Lambda Lambda Lambda

LMAO

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JprubgAoEoQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

phisherman
06-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Yep and it was a great experience especially the pajama-spolioli party we had with the Tri-Sig sorority.

Those mixers were pretty fun man.

Booze + people in sleeping clothes (or lack thereof) = some interesting adventures

Otter
Sigma Chi and overall was awesome. Gives you lots of business connections when all is said and done. No regrets.

Sucky
Did you not get accepted?

Ha I actually had a frat try to get me to rush but I just wasnt interested. Things like Hell Week, Father/Son, Brother blah blah blah didint interest me. In the end I didnt need to pay to have friends.;)

Nzoner
06-19-2012, 02:40 PM
I was in a Fraternity in College. Good times.......

Did you have your very own Bluto?Ours was in his 8th year and his major was sports and leisure and he could drink like a fish.

vailpass
Thank all of you for not launching into the OP with "would you call your country a cunt".
God that's stupid.

CrazyPhuD
No but I did join a fraternity in college. Good times, went to school saying I wasn't going to, but you were either greek, geek or gay. Remember the one bonus with 60 guys...it usually comes with 120 girls.

Sucky
06-19-2012, 02:41 PM
I had a single room in our house.

Good for you dude. The frats that I came across, every mofo had to share a room. Sounded really lame.

WhiteWhale
06-19-2012, 02:41 PM
I'm more like the guy who crashed frat parties....

Sucky
06-19-2012, 02:43 PM
No but I did join a fraternity in college. Good times, went to school saying I wasn't going to, but you were either greek, geek or gay. Remember the one bonus with 60 guys...it usually comes with 120 girls.

Gotcha. But while I was in college my house parties attracted tons of chicks. Like I said, didn't need to join a frat to get laid or get friends.

CrazyPhuD
06-19-2012, 02:43 PM
Good for you dude. The frats that I came across, every mofo had to share a room. Sounded really lame.

Seniority gets singles(usually) but they were small, but really short of studying, sleeping, or 'other activities' wth are you doing in your room?

ChiTown
06-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Did you have your very own Bluto?Ours was in his 8th year and his major was sports and leisure and he could drink like a fish.

We had a couple. One in particular was a guy I ran into out in Vail several years ago. He was playing guitar and singing at a bar. In 20 years, nothing had changed.:D

vailpass
06-19-2012, 02:44 PM

ROFL And there it is....

Nzoner
06-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Ha I actually had a frat try to get me to rush but I just wasnt interested. Things like Hell Week, Father/Son, Brother blah blah blah didint interest me. In the end I didnt need to pay to have friends.;)

Of course not all fraternities are the same,the first one I rushed I was at their party with a friend and we lit up a joint and next thing we knew a guy is standing over us and says,"uh we don't do this kind of thing here and especially out in the open."

I looked up at the guy handed the joint to my friend took off the rush pin and told him,"don't think I'll be needing this."

Said to myself that was it I was going GDI and then I met a guy and learned that there was a fraternity that actually encouraged individuality and I was all in.

Nzoner
06-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Like I said, didn't need to join a frat to get laid or get friends.

We heard you the first time and just for the record I'd bet most of us frat boys here didn't NEED to either.

phisherman
06-19-2012, 02:56 PM
True. Most of the guys in my pledge class particularly were already good buddies of mine that lived on my floor in the dorms. We partied and hung out together as GDIs for a while before we all pledged.

vailpass
06-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Like I said, didn't need to join a frat to get laid or get friends.

That sounds as weak today as it did 20 years ago when I was in undergrad. GDI or Frat doesn't matter, a guy is either cool and can hang or he can't.

CrazyPhuD
06-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Gotcha. But while I was in college my house parties attracted tons of chicks. Like I said, didn't need to join a frat to get laid or get friends.

See the thing that a lot of people mistake is that being in a fraternity isn't about 'getting friends' or whatnot. It all depends upon where you go because quite a few places fuck this up(and frankly I wouldn't be in one at a state university). But there are quite a bit of leadership skills and life skills that you learn during that time. Manage 60+ people doing periodic stupid shit and see what you learn.

But there's more too that many people won't get unless they've been through it. The military/boot camp is probably a more extreme version of it, but the reality of life is that during times of stress some people crack and some people rise to the occasion. You find out more of what you're made of in the process.

There are many douchebags in (some)fraternities and they can get a bad rap by those that aren't in them and haven't been through it(and a few bad apples that fuck up the system), but done properly it can be a great development experience that's harder to get in the rest of the college experience. You can still, but not nearly as a consistently.

Otter
06-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Of course not all fraternities are the same,the first one I rushed I was at their party with a friend and we lit up a joint and next thing we knew a guy is standing over us and says,"uh we don't do this kind of thing here and especially out in the open."

I looked up at the guy handed the joint to my friend took off the rush pin and told him,"don't think I'll be needing this."

Said to myself that was it I was going GDI and then I met a guy and learned that there was a fraternity that actually encouraged individuality and I was all in.

The only reason you would get shit for that at our chapter was because you either didn't share or didn't smoke the whole thing like Bluto downing the bottle of Jack.

Dante84
06-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Funniest three years of my life. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Nzoner
06-19-2012, 03:16 PM
That sounds as weak today as it did 20 years ago when I was in undergrad. GDI or Frat doesn't matter, a guy is either cool and can hang or he can't.

QFT

loochy
06-19-2012, 03:22 PM
I rushed Sigma Nu but I didn't think I'd have enough time to take school seriously and I couldn't afford the dues.

qabbaan
06-19-2012, 03:28 PM
I was in one. Cheap place to live off-campus, and we had all private rooms. It was like living in a bar though. A party going on all the time. (not all bad) Most of my close friendships now that I am ten years out of undergrad are from that organization. Lots of professional contacts. We did some charity work and I did some administrative work that was good for professional development. It was a positive experience. To say it was fun goes without saying.

NewChief
06-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Kappa Sigma "Fabulous Xi" Chapter at the University of Arkansas.

I rushed because most people from my hometown in my group of friends rushed. I did end up going into a different fraternity than all of them (they went Sigma Nu). It was fun for the first year, and the pledging kept my grades up. It was also good for me to be forced to become "brothers" with people from all walks of life (we were a diverse group). By the second year, I was becoming increasingly disenchanted with the whole frat boy douchery, but I still lived in the house. The 3rd and 4th year of college, I never stepped foot in the house because I was pretty much opposed to all things Greek in those days.

Looking back on it, I don't regret the experience. I'm definitely not a typical fratboy, but it was a part of who I am today. Many of the friends I still have, I met through the fraternity, though most of them "quit" like me before they graduated.

jjchieffan
06-19-2012, 03:59 PM
I went to MU on an Ag Econ major. I was recruited by Alpha Gamma Rho, which is mostly ag school majors. That was my primary reason for joining. Most of us had or have had the same classes. That was a big help in studying. We had study groups in the house and if we had problems, the older guys who had already had the class could help. Can't say we didn't party a lot too, but academics were a primary focus. If I had it to do all over again, I would choose the fraternity again.

gblowfish
06-19-2012, 04:00 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Zf16YtSOaUQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445
06-19-2012, 04:07 PM
See the thing that a lot of people mistake is that being in a fraternity isn't about 'getting friends' or whatnot. It all depends upon where you go because quite a few places fuck this up(and frankly I wouldn't be in one at a state university). But there are quite a bit of leadership skills and life skills that you learn during that time. Manage 60+ people doing periodic stupid shit and see what you learn.

But there's more too that many people won't get unless they've been through it. The military/boot camp is probably a more extreme version of it, but the reality of life is that during times of stress some people crack and some people rise to the occasion. You find out more of what you're made of in the process.

There are many douchebags in (some)fraternities and they can get a bad rap by those that aren't in them and haven't been through it(and a few bad apples that fuck up the system), but done properly it can be a great development experience that's harder to get in the rest of the college experience. You can still, but not nearly as a consistently.

This. I was the president of mine for a year and I learned a hell of a lot more about business and management than I did from my BS in Business Management.

And I'll echo it. My best friends are largely from the fraternity. The reality is that the membership is responsible the finances (When nobody has any money and wants to pay dues), maintenance of a structure that is more expensive than most everybody here's homes, and the recruitment and maintenance of the membership. Those are all difficult tasks for a group of very diverse 20 year old kids. And the common bond and struggles it takes to better the organization bring people together.

BWillie
06-19-2012, 04:12 PM
I definitely did not. The thought of living with 60 other guys really turned me off on the idea. Plus, most of these fools have to share a room with other guys. Ghey.

Yeah I was in a frat at my first college. Wasn't all that, but it was mainly a small college. But I partied with the same frat at one of my friends state college and it was awesome. Their housing was really cheap, get to live in a really nice house, in a convenient location.

QuikSsurfer
06-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Sigma Chi and overall was awesome. Gives you lots of business connections when all is said and done. No regrets.

Well hello brother.

Sigma Chi - Eta Chapter - Ole Miss

And yeah, we were the shit. Sigma Chi and Kappa Sig ran frat row. Being one of the elite - all our parties were paired with Delta Gamma or Tri Delts (where the hottest chics were). I would definitely do it all over again.

vailpass
06-19-2012, 04:16 PM
Had a roomate in grad school that went to Dartmouth for undergrad. He was greek there, said damn near everybody at Dartmouth was greek.

This bastard was full on frat: didn't close the door while he was taking a shit just continued to talk to you lie he was still in the living room, tea bagged passed out girls, most things of importance were decided by roshambo, etc.

Great guy, turned doff some of the more "mature" in our class but he was good.

seclark
06-19-2012, 04:18 PM
rah rah raiga
for alpha tau omega
hip rah hip rah
three cheers for alpha tau
a....t.....o!

we're the best **** the rest
sec

siberian khatru
06-19-2012, 04:18 PM
I went to MU on an Ag Econ major. I was recruited by Alpha Gamma Rho, which is mostly ag school majors. That was my primary reason for joining. Most of us had or have had the same classes. That was a big help in studying. We had study groups in the house and if we had problems, the older guys who had already had the class could help. Can't say we didn't party a lot too, but academics were a primary focus. If I had it to do all over again, I would choose the fraternity again.

I was GDI at MU, but I had Ag School buddies who took me to a few Ag Rho parties. They were good guys.

Discuss Thrower
06-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Riggity riggity rye, who the he'll am I? I'm the best of all the rest cuz I'm a Lambda Chi.

gblowfish
06-19-2012, 04:25 PM
I was not in a Frat, but knew lots of Frat guys. I worked in a beer joint across the street from Jesse Hall at Mizzou called Michael's. It was right next door to The Shack, a famous, wretched old beer barn. The Shack burned in the late 80's or early 90's, Michaels was bulldozed to build the Alumni Center. Sold lots and lots and lots of Bud and Coors beer to Frat Guys-at the time we were the only bar in Columbia to have Coors on tap, that was a big deal in the late 1970's. And the liquor control laws were much looser back then too.

DeezNutz
06-19-2012, 04:28 PM
People can send me a PM to ask what I think about frats, but first you'll need to transfer some funds via PayPal.

siberian khatru
06-19-2012, 04:29 PM
I was not in a Frat, but knew lots of Frat guys. I worked in a beer joint across the street from Jesse Hall at Mizzou called Michael's. It was right next door to The Shack, a famous, wretched old beer barn. The Shack burned in the late 80's or early 90's, Michaels was bulldozed to build the Alumni Center. Sold lots and lots and lots of Bud and Coors beer to Frat Guys-at the time we were the only bar in Columbia to have Coors on tap, that was a big deal in the late 1970's. And the liquor control laws were much looser back then too.

The Shack closed just months before I got to campus, thus I was never able to go there. It sucked, because I had grown up listening to my Dad tell me stories about it (he practically lived there). And yes, it burned a few months after I graduated.

I remember that Michael's. There was a really good used record store in that commercial row (also a Kinko's and Sub Shop II). Had lots of good bootlegs. I hated that those places got bulldozed for the alumni center. Lot of character lost to glass and steel.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-19-2012, 04:33 PM
I was too independant to be in a frat plus I just found them silly.

cdcox
06-19-2012, 04:59 PM

If you worked there any time from '79 to '84 its likely that you poured me a beer or served my wife and me a bagel with cream cheese. You suck at carding. ;)

One afternoon a few buddies and I went to the Shack after classes. There was some big biker type guy in there and I probably weighed all of 140 lbs at the time. I flipped this guy a little bit of shit in a good natured way. He picks me up over his head and was acting like he was going to throw me over the bar. The old lady who ran the place pulled out a baseball bat and yelled at him to put me down. Up until she pulled out the bat, I thought the guy was just horsing around. That was when I realized the guy was seriously mad. He put me down and then she made him leave.

I wasn't in a frat but had a great time in college regardless.

Dallas Chief
06-19-2012, 05:04 PM
I did and it changed my life. Learned how to be a leader, drink beer, pick on freshman, chase girls, play flag football, drink MD 20/20, all around good time. PLUS it's where I met my wife. It was a smaller school so all of the "houses" generally partied together. Good times indeed. Yeah. Changed my life, but I let it go about 5 years ago and quit doing all the alumni stuff, donating money, etc.

Superbowltrashcan
06-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Obviously you didn't serve in the Navy....

rageeumr
06-19-2012, 07:58 PM
I didn't drink when I went to college, so I wasn't sure a fraternity was for me. I had checked out the res halls at Rolla, though, and I knew I didn't want to live there. I took a recommendation from a family friend and joined a house. Best decision I ever made.

It sounds cliche, but it completely changed me as a person. I learned more from the experience than I did from my classes. You have every opportunity for leadership within the house, and your fraternity association is a great vehicle for involvement in other campus organizations.

jjchieffan
06-19-2012, 10:10 PM
I was GDI at MU, but I had Ag School buddies who took me to a few Ag Rho parties. They were good guys.

When did you attend? I was there 90-92. We were still in the old house then. Great bunch of guys. And they certainly knew how to party.

IratePrimate
06-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Na i didn't have to pay for my friends.

Dante84
06-19-2012, 10:43 PM
rah rah raiga
for alpha tau omega
hip rah hip rah
three cheers for alpha tau
a....t.....o!

we're the best **** the rest
sec

Hello, Brother by deliberate choice!

Sucky
07-01-2012, 06:43 PM
really good article(although very disturbing to say the least) about frats & hazing

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/confessions-of-an-ivy-league-frat-boy-inside-dartmouths-hazing-abuses-20120328

Sucky
07-01-2012, 06:45 PM
frat boys will be frat boys lulz

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/boston-university-fraternity-hazing-768923

Mr_Tomahawk
07-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Buy your friends...?

Pay to live in a house full of guys...?

Pass.

Dallas Chief
07-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Kappa Sigma "Fabulous Xi" Chapter at the University of Arkansas.

I rushed because most people from my hometown in my group of friends rushed. I did end up going into a different fraternity than all of them (they went Sigma Nu). It was fun for the first year, and the pledging kept my grades up. It was also good for me to be forced to become "brothers" with people from all walks of life (we were a diverse group). By the second year, I was becoming increasingly disenchanted with the whole frat boy douchery, but I still lived in the house. The 3rd and 4th year of college, I never stepped foot in the house because I was pretty much opposed to all things Greek in those days.

Looking back on it, I don't regret the experience. I'm definitely not a typical fratboy, but it was a part of who I am today. Many of the friends I still have, I met through the fraternity, though most of them "quit" like me before they graduated.

Spent a weekend at your house- The Fabulous Xi Chapter- circa 1994-1995 at a leadership conference. I am a Kappa Sigma as well.

Rain Man
07-01-2012, 07:10 PM
My father's business was located less than a block from the TKE house, and those guys were such a group of thugs, jerks, and criminals that there's no way I would've ever joined a frat. That terrible group of people truly gave me a lifetime of disdain for fraternities, which probably isn't fair, but no other fraternity has done anything to change my mind.

My dad owned a car lot, and the TKE fraternity people would come over and vandalize the cars at night just for fun. My dad had never dealt with them, never had any bad relationship with them, and they would just come out in the middle of the night and kick out the windows of the cars on his lot. He finally got the police to station a guy in his office to watch it, and they arrested several of them. When they went over to get them the president and other fraternity members lied to cover up for them while the arrests were happening. Just terrible, terrible people, every single one of them.

Rain Man
07-01-2012, 07:12 PM
I didn't drink when I went to college, so I wasn't sure a fraternity was for me. I had checked out the res halls at Rolla, though, and I knew I didn't want to live there. I took a recommendation from a family friend and joined a house. Best decision I ever made.

It sounds cliche, but it completely changed me as a person. I learned more from the experience than I did from my classes. You have every opportunity for leadership within the house, and your fraternity association is a great vehicle for involvement in other campus organizations.

Please tell me you weren't a TKE (though I recognize you weren't anywhere near the era when my dad was dealing with them).

oldman
07-01-2012, 07:33 PM
I did it for a year, but then----it was the 60s, so I kinda had to pass on returning a 2nd year. Keggers and sorority girls that didn't until they got some jewelry as opposed to Sister Mary, beer, AND hippie chicks. Pretty easy choice for me.

Molitoth
07-01-2012, 07:55 PM
I was 17 years old when I rushed a frat and hazing was still pretty bad at that point. I think my pledge class was one of the worst of the chapter from what I've heard.

Anyway, I made it all the way to the end of pledge and didn't end up making good enough grades to be initiated. The next semester I had a chance to make up my grades but I ended up dropping out and moving to a different school.

I regret not getting that final initiation for all of the work I put into that shit, but that semester of pledge was some of the greatest memories I will retain.

NewChief
07-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Spent a weekend at your house- The Fabulous Xi Chapter- circa 1994-1995 at a leadership conference. I am a Kappa Sigma as well.

I was probably in the house at that time. Good times. If you wandered down a dark hallway and smelled incense, heard the Grateful Dead blaring, and the other brothers quickly ushered you away from that end of the house... then you were approaching my room. ;)

Titty Meat
07-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Frats are for douchebags

Chief_For_Life58
07-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Frats are for douchebags

myself or one of my frat brothers most likely banged your girlfriend

Nzoner
07-02-2012, 12:29 AM
Please tell me you weren't a TKE (though I recognize you weren't anywhere near the era when my dad was dealing with them).

I'm a TKE,however one thing you should know is that every campus is different,just because they are a chapter of that frat doesn't mean they are the same kind of guys.Hell,when we went on actives walkout we took a roadtrip to another chapter that ended up being a bunch of :whackit:

Nzoner
07-02-2012, 12:31 AM
myself and my frat brothers most likely pulled a train on your girlfriend

FYP

Chief_For_Life58
07-02-2012, 01:20 AM
FYP

All I remember her saying was...no dont stop!

Maybe it was No Stop Dont!!!

Ahh who cares..amiright?

Jiu Jitsu Jon
07-02-2012, 01:21 AM
I'm a TKE,however one thing you should know is that every campus is different,just because they are a chapter of that frat doesn't mean they are the same kind of guys.Hell,when we went on actives walkout we took a roadtrip to another chapter that ended up being a bunch of :whackit:

Which chapter are you from? Beta-Omega #973 here.

I agree with Nzoner also, while I'm sorry you had that experience, with any large family you're bound to run into some assholes. Look at the Gracies. By and large, they're the nicest people you'll ever meet. I've met Royler, Ryron and Rener. But there are are also some not so nice people in that family...

TimeForWasp
07-02-2012, 01:50 AM
Never been to college but had an Air Force equivalent as far as the parties going on. 7 of us rented a house off base in Panama city Florida. The animal house movie came out and we had toga parties almost every weekend. Our house was known on base as the animal house. Good times. This was when it was almost necessary to drink in the military. Rule #1 was No one shall be caught Not drinking.

J Diddy
07-02-2012, 01:58 AM

Depends largely on whether she was underage and extremely wasted. Best check your records in case a pregnancy is registered.

We all know that all fucking frat morons are too stupid to know how to to put a condom on.

Extra Point
07-02-2012, 04:17 AM
Delta Chi. The rent was cheap, had my own room.

Braincase
07-02-2012, 05:50 AM
I was in one. Over time I found myself having better friendships with guys in another house. Wish I would've pledged a different house in the end.

Rain Man
07-02-2012, 01:21 PM

Yeah, I recognize that, and a bad frat in one place could be a good one in another. Glad you had a good experience.

For a national organization, though, I think it shows that it's important to monitor every chapter, because one bad chapter can damage your organization's reputation. Every time I hear the name TKE, my upper lip curls up in a snarl, even if they had nothing to do with the problem.

vailpass
07-02-2012, 01:28 PM

Way to combat the stereotype.

Fansy the Famous Bard
07-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Calling your fraternity a frat is like calling your country a c.... ok you get the picture.

vailpass
07-02-2012, 01:32 PM

There was a teek house in the town I grew up in, Cedar Rapids, IA at Coe College. Those guys partied BALLS. Remember going by one time and seeing they had removed the living room window and had a slip-and-slide going from the front yard through the living room. They were good guys, at least the ones I met.

tooge
07-02-2012, 02:16 PM
I rushed one. Sigma Nu. I know this is gonna sound lame, but I'm a very individualistic guy, and when one of the brothers tried to swat my ass, I challenged him on the intelligence of it. We ended up getting in a fight and I kicked his ass and broke the foosball table in the process. I was kicked out of rush. Meh. Wasn't for me. Ended up living in a house with 5 other guys from the dorm. We held huge parties of 200 plus people about once a quarter. No regrets, but given the right house, I might have liked it.

vailpass
07-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Calling your fraternity a frat is like calling your country a c.... ok you get the picture.

LMAO Post 14 was for you. Craftsman.

Buehler445
07-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Yeah, I recognize that, and a bad frat in one place could be a good one in another. Glad you had a good experience.

For a national organization, though, I think it shows that it's important to monitor every chapter, because one bad chapter can damage your organization's reputation. Every time I hear the name TKE, my upper lip curls up in a snarl, even if they had nothing to do with the problem.

Quite frankly that is very difficult. National organizations have tremendously limited resources. And oversight is difficult and expensive.

Don't think that fraternities turn a blind eye to this type of activity. It isn't good for anybody. And perception is a constant battle for fraternities. Just look at all the "I don't pay for my friends." comments in this thead. The stigma fraternities deal with is tremendous.

vailpass
07-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Quite frankly that is very difficult. National organizations have tremendously limited resources. And oversight is difficult and expensive.

Don't think that fraternities turn a blind eye to this type of activity. It isn't good for anybody. And perception is a constant battle for fraternities. Just look at all the "I don't pay for my friends." comments in this thead. The stigma fraternities deal with is tremendous.

God that's awful. I had no idea. Something really ought to be done.

Buehler445
07-02-2012, 05:20 PM
God that's awful. I had no idea. Something really ought to be done.

I don't even get the sarcasm you're laying down here. Are you making fun of me or Rain man?

Nzoner
07-02-2012, 10:32 PM

probably doesn't mean shit but here's a few famous TKE's you may have heard of...

Terry Bradshaw
Elvis Presley
George Halas
Marv Levy
Willie Nelson
Les Paul
Conrad Hilton
Ronald Reagan

Nzoner
07-02-2012, 10:48 PM
There was a teek house in the town I grew up in, Cedar Rapids, IA at Coe College. Those guys partied BALLS. Remember going by one time and seeing they had removed the living room window and had a slip-and-slide going from the front yard through the living room. They were good guys, at least the ones I met.

Our chapter had the party animals tag as well,probably what drew me to them,still have 2 photo albums from those days and damn we had some epic parties.Even so we still did a lot of fundraising and giving back the community etc. We also were a major supporter of St Jude Children's Research Hospital which was founded by TKE Danny Thomas.

Nzoner
07-02-2012, 10:53 PM
I rushed one. Sigma Nu. I know this is gonna sound lame, but I'm a very individualistic guy, and when one of the brothers tried to swat my ass, I challenged him on the intelligence of it. We ended up getting in a fight and I kicked his ass and broke the foosball table in the process. I was kicked out of rush. Meh. Wasn't for me. Ended up living in a house with 5 other guys from the dorm. We held huge parties of 200 plus people about once a quarter. No regrets, but given the right house, I might have liked it.

It doesn't sound lame at all,I almost went GDI because of a bad first experience with a frat and wanting to be myself.Just so thankful a TKE approached me and I gave it another try,and since you brought up individuality here's something from the TKE website...

The Founders of the Knights of Classic Lore desired an organization different from those represented by the existing fraternities. Their desire was to establish a fraternity in which the primary requisites for membership would be the personal worth and character of the individual rather than the wealth he possessed, the honors or titles he could display, or the rank he maintained on the social ladder. The Founders of the KCL had little regard for many of the common characteristics of fraternities at that time, including their usual snobbery and disdain for persons outside of a fraternity.

Titty Meat
07-02-2012, 10:55 PM

I used to fuck your gf on bathsalts

Mile High Mania
07-03-2012, 05:07 AM
The fraternity thing just isn't for everyone... at some schools, the greek life as a whole really sucks and is pretty lame with no real support structure from the school or their national organizations. Those that have had really bad experiences - shame on the local chapters.

I never expected pledges or anyone to participate in anything that one of the actives wouldn't do and by no means did we ever haze or do something that crossed the line. I know some that tried, and we took care of those things. Unfortunately, too many people get into fraternities for all the wrong reasons.

I pledged Kappa Sigma in 1990 and it was a great experience - I'm still active in the alumni chapter and it's unfortunate that so many didn't have good experiences with greek life. I certainly didn't need it for friends - that argument always cracks me up.

At my school, you couldn't pledge until your spring semester as a freshmen - I liked that ... gives you a chance to really see how things are on campus. I might have gone TKE had I just been thrown into the greek system in my first few weeks. Thankfully, that didn't happen.

Dave Lane
07-03-2012, 06:50 AM
Nope

DaKCMan AP
07-03-2012, 07:51 AM
No, brah.

But I had friends who did. At UF the Greek system is strong when it comes to student government and some other on-campus activities, but you can get involved without the system. Only about 15% of the student population is involved in the Greek system.

Fansy the Famous Bard
07-03-2012, 08:21 AM
LMAO Post 14 was for you. Craftsman.

LOL I even skimmed through to see if it had been used, missed it!

Fish
07-03-2012, 08:24 AM
Funny how many frat stories include "We were like the Animal House, dude. Everybody knew that."

Buehler445
07-03-2012, 09:04 AM
Funny how many frat stories include "We were like the Animal House, dude. Everybody knew that."

Mine was the polar opposite. We weren't allowed to have alcohol on the property.

DaKCMan AP
07-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Mine was the polar opposite. We weren't allowed to have alcohol on the property.

"allowed"

jbwm89
07-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Pledged KA down at Mizzou. One of the best decisions I ever made, I've got a ton of friends and business connections and had some of the craziest times of my life.

Sucky
07-03-2012, 09:38 AM
I like how some of the frat dudes on here are like "Yeah I even had my own room" (like thats some huge accomplishment or something)LMAO

Dallas Chief
07-03-2012, 10:08 AM
The fraternity thing just isn't for everyone... at some schools, the greek life as a whole really sucks and is pretty lame with no real support structure from the school or their national organizations. Those that have had really bad experiences - shame on the local chapters.

I never expected pledges or anyone to participate in anything that one of the actives wouldn't do and by no means did we ever haze or do something that crossed the line. I know some that tried, and we took care of those things. Unfortunately, too many people get into fraternities for all the wrong reasons.

I pledged Kappa Sigma in 1990 and it was a great experience - I'm still active in the alumni chapter and it's unfortunate that so many didn't have good experiences with greek life. I certainly didn't need it for friends - that argument always cracks me up.

At my school, you couldn't pledge until your spring semester as a freshmen - I liked that ... gives you a chance to really see how things are on campus. I might have gone TKE had I just been thrown into the greek system in my first few weeks. Thankfully, that didn't happen.

See that New Chief??? Another one!

vailpass
07-03-2012, 10:08 AM
I like how some of the frat dudes on here are like "Yeah I even had my own room" (like thats some huge accomplishment or something)LMAO

It is if you've lived in a dorm.

luv
07-03-2012, 10:10 AM

Well, you are the one who commented on how sharing a room was gay.

Buehler445
07-03-2012, 10:13 AM
"allowed"

It's pretty serious. At least my chapter took it seriously. PDT was the first to go dry on a national level and we got a huge break on our insurance. They levied pretty significant punishement for violations. My chapter never pushed it.

But I'm also not naive enough to think that other chapters took it much less seriously.

ChiTown
07-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Phi Alpha Born

I知 Phi Alpha born
And I知 Phi Alpha bred
And when I die I値l be, Phi Alpha dead!
So, rah, rah, Phi Alpha, Alpha
Rah, rah, Phi Alpha, Alpha,
Rah, rah, Phi Alpha! Σ Α Ε!

Bearcat
07-03-2012, 10:45 AM

Frat guy: Do we call your country...

Me: Isn't it your country, too? :spock:

I rushed one year to get free food and see what it was all about, and I wasn't impressed... one guy told us how there was nothing like being outside with your frat building a deck on the house (so, I'm paying you so I can build a deck on your house...). A couple of them were really pretentious, while the TKE chapter was the largest group of morons on campus.

It all seemed really shallow and pointless, but I'm sure some schools are better at it than others. :shrug:

rageeumr
07-03-2012, 10:59 AM

I missed this post the other day. Nope, not a TKE. Phi Kappa Theta. I was a dirty protestant in the national Catholic fraternity.

NewChief
07-03-2012, 11:45 AM
See that New Chief??? Another one!

A to B!

Discuss Thrower
07-03-2012, 11:59 AM
I'm an asshole, I'm an asshole, I'm an assshole through and through! But I'd rather be an asshole THAN ANY ONE OF YOU!

Didn't have a specific fraternity to target there so I just went generic. Works with pain pills, right?

Nzoner
07-03-2012, 12:26 PM
. I might have gone TKE had I just been thrown into the greek system in my first few weeks. Thankfully, that didn't happen.

LMAO

One of those if you can't go greek go TKE guys.

Nzoner
07-03-2012, 12:28 PM
while the TKE chapter was the largest group of morons on campus.

It all seemed really shallow and pointless, but I'm sure some schools are better at it than others. :shrug:

That sucks because seeing that I know you I can honestly say you would've loved our TKE chapter.

phisherman
07-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Frat guy: Do we call your country...

Me: Isn't it your country, too? :spock:

I rushed one year to get free food and see what it was all about, and I wasn't impressed... one guy told us how there was nothing like being outside with your frat building a deck on the house (so, I'm paying you so I can build a deck on your house...). A couple of them were really pretentious, while the TKE chapter was the largest group of morons on campus.

When I was at Northwest, the TKEs would take anyone, and I mean anyone.

Nzoner
07-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Phi Alpha Born

I知 Phi Alpha born
And I知 Phi Alpha bred
And when I die I値l be, Phi Alpha dead!
So, rah, rah, Phi Alpha, Alpha
Rah, rah, Phi Alpha, Alpha,
Rah, rah, Phi Alpha! Σ Α Ε!

TKE once TKE twice
Holy jumpin' Jesus Christ
Ratshit,batshit
Pvssy don't smell
Coc******* mother*****
TKE's give 'em hell
Lamdi Chi,Sig EP
All the others suck
TKE TKE TKE
Rah RAH ****!!

Discuss Thrower
07-03-2012, 12:39 PM
TKE once TKE twice
Holy jumpin' Jesus Christ
Ratshit,batshit
Pvssy don't smell
Coc******* mother*****
TKE's give 'em hell
Lamdi Chi,Sig EP
All the others suck
TKE TKE TKE
Rah RAH ****!!

Ratshit, batshit,
Who the hell am I?
Flim-flam, Gawdamn
I'm a Lambda Chi!
We're the best fraternity
and all the others suck
Lambda Chi Alpha
Rah rah FUCK

Bearcat
07-03-2012, 12:47 PM
That sucks because seeing that I know you I can honestly say you would've loved our TKE chapter.

A few morons from my freshmen dorm joined TKE... some of the shenanigans they started on our floor were pretty funny, and we had a good time with a few pranks... but, a lot of them were complete douches, too, and didn't have much respect for non-Greeks.

I have heard a lot of positive things about TKE, but it's always from someone who went to another school/chapter. For the most part, I think the fraternity thing just wasn't for me, but the Greek life was a big part of why I thought of that campus as an extension of high school... I might have had a better experience at a larger and possibly more diverse school.

DaKCMan AP
07-03-2012, 12:48 PM
ΑωΣ

We're Awesome.

Bearcat
07-03-2012, 12:52 PM
When I was at Northwest, the TKEs would take anyone, and I mean anyone.

Yeah, it definitely wasn't exclusive when I was there... wouldn't be surprised if there was an IQ ceiling though. Mensduh.

phisherman
07-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Yeah, it definitely wasn't exclusive when I was there... wouldn't be surprised if there was an IQ ceiling though. Mensduh.

I remember when their old house burnt down. The large party full of people at our house (AKL) all got in cars and drove over and watched the house go up in flames.