PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Noisy Sump Pump

Saulbadguy
06-21-2012, 07:48 PM
My sump pump is noisier than usual . HOW DO I FIX THIS?

1. Seems like it's been running all day (it rained alot last night) water is still flowing outside but i'm not sure how fast it is supposed to flow? Also the pit (right nomenclature?) is nearly dry, just an inch or so of water in it.

2. Why are there pieces of wood in the pit? I never looked in there but there were several pieces of 2x4 or whatever just sitting in there. Should I remove them?

Brock
06-21-2012, 07:50 PM
If it's running nonstop on an inch of water, I'd say your float is set wrong.

Buehler445
06-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Check and see if the screen needs cleaned out. If it is trying to suck water through the trash it will pull harder.

Yes. Get the wood out.

mlyonsd
06-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Sounds like something is impeding the float from working properly and the pump is running without enough water. That's why it sounds funny.

I've never worked on one but I'd cut the power and see if there is anything blocking the float.

philfree
06-21-2012, 07:59 PM

Probably so. Wood? never seen that.....

There is also a chance that the water is flowing around your house and not under to where it fills the pump resevoir. In a case like that the water could flow around your foundation and then find another way into your home.

Poor some water in it and see if it adjusts after the pump pumps it out.

Good luck!

Saulbadguy

How do I set it correctly?

LiveSteam
How old is it? They are not expensive. Is the wood possibly to set the pump on so water will flow under it & allow it to pump?

Saulbadguy
06-21-2012, 08:00 PM

There is also a chance that the water is flowing around your house and not under to where it fills the pump resevoir. In a case like that the water could flow around your foundation and then find another way into your home.

Good luck!

Well - I removed the wood. I think that is what the sump pump was sitting in, because when I removed it and just set it, it sucked up a ton of sand and then water filled the pit up. Removed sand from the pipe thing, set wood back in, set the sump pump on the wood, and it sucked the water out like it should, but even after the water is gone (low) it still runs.

philfree

Good luck!

Just drink 6 beers and pee in it.......

LiveSteam
If its whining the bearing is probably just wore out.

philfree
06-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Well - I removed the wood. I think that is what the sump pump was sitting in, because when I removed it and just set it, it sucked up a ton of sand and then water filled the pit up. Removed sand from the pipe thing, set wood back in, set the sump pump on the wood, and it sucked the water out like it should, but even after the water is gone (low) it still runs.

Is the wood holding up the float?

Saulbadguy
If its whining the bearing is probably just wore out.

Not whining. Just sounds funny - I think it sounds funny b/c I never heard it run without water.

Saulbadguy

I don't understand the question, what is "the float"

Brock
06-21-2012, 08:03 PM
How do I set it correctly?

It's like a toilet tank. It should only kick on when the pit has a significant amout of water in it. To check and see if it's working right, just pull up on hte float and see if it shuts off.

LiveSteam
06-21-2012, 08:04 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61l47%2BW9G6L._AA1146_.jpg

philfree
06-21-2012, 08:05 PM

The float is a....like in an old toilet tank. A float! It floats on the top of the water and when the water level pushes it high enough it turns on the pump. When the water level drops so does the float and when it does it shuts off the pump.

Rasputin
06-21-2012, 08:07 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/kasheesty/shitters.jpg

Saulbadguy
06-21-2012, 08:25 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61l47%2BW9G6L._AA1146_.jpg

Yeah, my set up doesn't have one of those. Could it be built in to the sump pump?

Saulbadguy
06-21-2012, 08:26 PM
success.

I took the sump pump out, it was running even outside of water.

So I unplugged it, and beat it like a red headed step child.

Re-submersed, after some "trial and error", found the right spot, poured a few buckets of water in there, it pumped the water out and shut off.

Thanks for the help.

mlyonsd
06-21-2012, 08:28 PM
success.

I took the sump pump out, it was running even outside of water.

So I unplugged it, and beat it like a red headed step child.

Re-submersed, after some "trial and error", found the right spot, poured a few buckets of water in there, it pumped the water out and shut off.

Thanks for the help.How old is it? If old I'd replace it. The worst time to find out you need a new one is when it fails.

Saulbadguy
06-21-2012, 08:29 PM
How old is it? If old I'd replace it. The worst time to find out you need a new one is when it fails.

10 years old.

Replacing - degree of difficulty?

LiveSteam
06-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Yeah, my set up doesn't have one of those. Could it be built in to the sump pump?

See if you can find it with this link. & yes I do think some have the float built attached to the pump. if its working & the basement is staying dry? I wouldn't worry about it. When the bearing goes you will here it. or if the motor goes you will see water fill the trap or sump
http://www.sumppumpsdirect.com/pumps/float-switches.html?gclid=CJrkmdXl4LACFeZgTAodelGx2g

Saulbadguy
06-21-2012, 08:34 PM
http://franklin-electric.com/wastewater/little-giant-wastewater/sump/sump-pumps/13-hp/506158.aspx

This is the one I have.

LiveSteam
06-21-2012, 08:35 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TqNlGfaHmQA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mlyonsd
06-21-2012, 08:36 PM
10 years old.

Replacing - degree of difficulty?Dunno without seeing it. You said you took it out and beat it. That tells me it would be easy to replace.

In my experience beating something 10 years old just to make it work again is a short time fix. Especially if you're talking about a finished basement and you consider the consequences of it failing when you aren't around.

Saulbadguy
06-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Yeah, looks simple enough.

Lumpy
06-21-2012, 09:33 PM
I've installed two sump pumps... 1 in the main well and 1 in our window well. If you plan on installing a new one, be prepared to cut some pipe and I would highly suggest ditching the wood. Placing river rock under the unit will help filter the water before it reaches the pump. A flat stone or a brick placed directly under the pump will help keep the unit level. This will reduce the risk of the pump getting off-center and having the float get stuck on something.

LiveSteam
06-21-2012, 10:03 PM
I've installed two sump pumps... 1 in the main well and 1 in our window well. If you plan on installing a new one, be prepared to cut some pipe and I would highly suggest ditching the wood. Placing river rock under the unit will help filter the water before it reaches the pump. A flat stone or a brick placed directly under the pump will help keep the unit level. This will reduce the risk of the pump getting off-center and having the float get stuck on something.

FUCKING AWESOME!

Phobia
06-22-2012, 12:04 AM
It probably just needs lubricated. Easiest way to do that is change your motor oil and that of all your neighbors. Dump the used oil around your foundation.

bevischief
06-22-2012, 05:18 AM
Replace it.