PDA

View Full Version : Royals Who should be the Royals' All-Star?

Deberg_1990
06-22-2012, 06:56 AM
heh, ill laugh if its Broxton.....Because all the time and buildup the Royals have put into their minors and young stars only see them select a FA hired gun. ROFL

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/06/21/3670507/who-should-be-the-royals-all-star.html

Not to go all Dewey-beats-Truman here, but the latest All-Star balloting update from Major League Baseball isn’t particularly encouraging for the Royals.

While four players remain listed among the voting leaders, it appears increasingly likely that any hometown selections for the July 10 game at Kauffman Stadium will the players’ balloting process or personal selections by Texas manager Ron Washington.
So here’s your chance to (maybe) influence those decisions before the July 1 announcement. After all, you see these guys all of the time. Who has a better feel for this decision than you?

What we want to know is which Royals player would be the most-deserving selection for this year’s game? And before you ask, yes, we hope there’s more than one. But we just want to identify the top choice.

We’ve come up with five candidates. Your preference might not be one of those listed — and you might be right — but our list is the result of conversations with club officials, opposing scouts and the players themselves.
We’ll publish the results in Sunday’s paper.

The Candidates
Jonathan Broxton, right-handed closer
When it’s all said and done, does it really matter that Brox puts us (and the Royals) through the wringer on virtually all of his saves? If we’re only going on results, the big guy absolutely deserves consideration to be selected for his third All-Star Game.

Billy Butler, designated hitter
Ask Cardinals closer Jason Motte whether Big Bill is a potent threat as a pinch hitter (which is likely the role he would fill if selected). It was just last Sunday that Butler put a 438-foot charge into a Motte heater. Butler also leads the Royals in most offensive categories.

Tim Collins, situational lefty reliever
The All-Star Game, because of the extended staffs, often hinges more on matchups than other games. So who wouldn’t love a lefty with 49 strikeouts in 341/3 innings and a 2.36 ERA? Also: Tiny Tim had five strikeouts in two innings against Washington’s Rangers.

Alcides Escobar, shortstop
Want a top glove at the game’s most important defensive position to protect a lead in the late innings? How can you do better than the guy who plays half of his games on the Kauffman surface? Esky’s .292 average with pinch-runner speed is an added bonus.

Mike Moustakas, third baseman
We know Adrian Beltre is the gold standard for defensive third baseman, but Moose proved twice in the last week that there’s a new kid in town. Throw in some pop from the left side and, yeah, we could see this happening.

Dartgod
06-22-2012, 07:19 AM
I'd like to see Billy and Moose in there.

Nickel D
06-22-2012, 07:25 AM
I'm hoping Moustakas gets the call because it's obvious that he gives it his all everytime he's on the field.

Tim Collins got the stats to be an All Star.

Broxton is very good, but his meltdown in Anaheim is unforgettable.

I think Escobar's a dark horse.

Butler looks like an All Star -- remember Babe Ruth?

Ceej
06-22-2012, 07:31 AM
I will say Country Breakfast and Timmy Collins.

gblowfish
06-22-2012, 08:02 AM
It should be Butler, but it will probably be Broxton.

Codered
06-22-2012, 08:03 AM
Most years I would guess Broxton. The fact that it's in Kansas City gives me hope they take a hitter and in that case it would make sense for it to be Butler.

Saul Good
06-22-2012, 08:16 AM
It should be Escobar.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Billy Butler is the most deserving bat and SHOULD be the starter at DH imo. Tim Collins deserves it from the staff. Technically Broxton deserves a spot too.

Moustakas and Escobar are doing very good but neither of them beats out the best at their positions across the league when you take hitting numbers and fielding into account. Of course I won't shed it tear if one gets a back up spot.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-22-2012, 08:44 AM
It should be Escobar.

Asdrubal Cabrerra from Cleveland. of course Jeter is going to be the starter and he is actually having a good year.

mr. tegu
06-22-2012, 08:54 AM
I want to see Butler. Especially since Cano has said if we get a bat they will be in the HR derby.

Mr. Laz
06-22-2012, 08:58 AM
I figure it's a pitcher so they just use them as much/little as needed at whatever time they need.

Old Dog
06-22-2012, 09:02 AM

I'm guessing your rememberer isn't as good as you believe. His meltdown this season was in Oakland.

Lex Luthor
06-22-2012, 09:04 AM
Since the game is in KC this year it sure would be nice if Butler and Moustakas would both get to go, since they are the most deserving.

But considering how these teams get picked, I'd bet that the lone Royals all-star will be either Broxton or Collins. Collins would make about as much sense as Aaron Crow getting picked last year.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Belly Bomber

CrazyPhuD
06-22-2012, 05:21 PM
It would be funnier if they screwed up and selected no one.

Demonpenz
06-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Broxton

BigMeatballDave
06-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Broxton and Billy

BigMeatballDave
06-22-2012, 05:50 PM

LMAO Oh the irony...

BigMeatballDave
06-22-2012, 05:51 PM
I want to see Butler. Especially since Cano has said if we get a bat they will be in the HR derby.

Hos would light it up in a HR derby with his bat speed.