PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Is This Accurate? Best Bars-Kansas City

vailpass
06-25-2012, 12:12 PM
I have a new app on my phone, "Best Of" from Village Voice.
It lists Best places in lots of categories from cities in the US, including KC.
Here's are some of what they list for bars, there are more than one for each category but I'm only listing one. For those who know-are they right?

Lew's Grill-7539 Wornall Rd.-Best Neighborhood Bar

Caddyshack- 700 E. 3rd St.-Best 3 a.m. Bar

The Peanut-5000 Main St.-Best Bar for a Hangover

Cigar Box-1519 Grand Blvd.-Best Bar for a Nightcap

Buzzard Beach-4110 Penn. Ave-Best Bar for a One Night Stand

Bobby Baker's Lounge-7418 wornall-Best Bar to Hide In

Bowser
06-25-2012, 12:14 PM
I've been to the Caddyshack, The Peanut, and of course Buzzard Beach. Pretty accurate on all counts.

KCUnited
06-25-2012, 12:14 PM
I think there can be an argument for all of those with the exception of Lew's, imo.

Bowser
06-25-2012, 12:15 PM
I think there can be an argument for all of those with the exception of Lew's, imo.

True. All those titles can probably be mixed and matched without many people noticing.

Bowser
06-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Great fucking bar food at the Peanut, btw.

KCUnited
06-25-2012, 12:20 PM
True. All those titles can probably be mixed and matched without many people noticing.

Agreed on the mix and match. I suppose Lew's could be argued, it would lose, but it could be argued. There's always a barrel chested lady vibe whenever I'm in there.

vailpass
06-25-2012, 12:20 PM
I've been to the Caddyshack, The Peanut, and of course Buzzard Beach. Pretty accurate on all counts.

The description for Caddyshack sounds good:

On some nights, it takes until past the requisite 1:30 a.m. closing time to really get a good buzz kickin'. So before the shouts of "last call" ring out, take advantage of Missouri's permissive liquor laws and head to Columbus Park for a nightcap at Caddy Shack.

The lovable bartenders at this 17-year-old neighborhood bar know why you've entered their domain in the early hours of the morning, and they're happy to make sure you go home good and drunk. Free popcorn, some of the city's stiffest Jäger Bombs, and a better-than-average jukebox will keep you busy as you watch the clock tick toward closing time. If you get there early enough, the bar's signature thin-crust pizza (served until 2 a.m.) lines your stomach with something other than booze.

It may not sound like much, but trust us: It's a love affair best understood after midnight.

vailpass
06-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Great ****ing bar food at the Peanut, btw.

Apparently one of the reasons it was named Best Hangover Bar. It also won for best BLT:

Peanut owner Rich Kenny likes to keep his bacon supplier a secret. All we could get out of a cook (code name: Deep Snout) is that the pigs are raised somewhere in Kansas.
Regardless of their origin, the strips provide great happiness when cooked and joined with wheat bread, lettuce, tomato, red onions, cheddar, mayonnaise and (our favorite touch) black pepper.
The sandwich sells for $5.95, but those with a healthy appetite shouldn't feel too embarrassed about ordering the nine-slice triple ($7.25).
Other places in town may drum up fancier BLTs, adding egg or avocado, but we prefer ours the Peanut way, "made with only the freshest ingredients by the surliest of cooks," according to Deep Snout.

KCUnited
06-25-2012, 12:21 PM
The Caddyshack is a lovable shithole. Forget late night though, I prefer to be in there during the afternoon with the other pros.

Bowser
06-25-2012, 12:24 PM
One thing about the Caddyshack that is not arguable -

You will not find a safer bar in the entire city.

KCUnited
06-25-2012, 12:25 PM
The cook at the Peanut on 50th & Main reminds me of JT, the Bone Shack owner in Planet Terror.

Good Royals bar that one, despite their shit tv's.

Fish
06-25-2012, 12:25 PM
Best Bar to Hide In

What does that even mean?

vailpass
06-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Charlie Hoopers Brookside Bar-12 W. 63rd st.-Best Male Bartender

Brookside institution Charlie Hooper's boasts more than 110 bottles of beer from around the world. If you pull up a stool, Chad Wilson can expertly map out a globe-beating itinerary for you, even as he tirelessly darts around, twisting off bottle caps with his left hand and curling lemon wedges onto pints of wheat with his right. And he's a great guy, the type who comes around to the other side of the bar to shake your hand if he hasn't seen you in a while. Crowds don't faze him, and he's been known to leap over the bar to break up a fight. He's like Superman, if Superman made Lemon Drops and worked for tips.

stevieray
06-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Caddyshack pizza is pretty darn good...about 15 minutes from me and five from Knucklehads....

KCUnited
06-25-2012, 12:27 PM

Eh, I know I run into a lot of the same people around KC, sometimes you want to go somewhere and be anonymous. I'd of voted DB Coopers in this slot.

vailpass
06-25-2012, 12:28 PM

Bobby Baker's Lounge is an easily overlooked but not-to-be-missed Waldo standby. You'll go unrecognized in this 15-year-old dive, which is out of the regular rotation for most south Kansas City drinkers. That's a good thing if you don't want people to see you tipsy — happy hour lasts all afternoon here, and regular prices are shockingly cheap. On a slow night, you can stretch out unmolested in a booth and read a book, get intimate with your vodka soda, or silently mock the jukebox picks of your fellow patrons. But if you get lonely and want to make friends in low places, sports are probably on the television, and a stray barfly usually is up for a chat.

Fish
06-25-2012, 12:31 PM
I've spent lots of time at Bobby Bakers. It's a cool little place. But it definitely has regulars in there. I would know plenty of people by name in there.

vailpass
06-25-2012, 12:38 PM
I've spent lots of time at Bobby Bakers. It's a cool little place. But it definitely has regulars in there. I would know plenty of people by name in there.

That's a good thing.

stevieray
06-25-2012, 12:40 PM
That's a good thing.

he's Norm....

vailpass
06-25-2012, 12:44 PM
he's Norm....

It's a dog eat dog world Sammy and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

stevieray
06-25-2012, 12:52 PM
It's a dog eat dog world Sammy and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

...saw an episode the other day where Fraiser had to undergo psychological evaluation for fighting at a hockey game.

blaise
06-25-2012, 12:54 PM
I bet I won $200 worth of gift cards to Lew's. I think I gave them all away though.

KCUnited
06-25-2012, 12:56 PM
I bet I won $200 worth of gift cards to Lew's. I think I gave them all away though.

Yeah, Chris and Cowboy used to push the hell out of Lew's.

BigMeatballDave
06-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Is Last Chance Lounge still open?

:D

KC_Lee
06-25-2012, 01:00 PM
I have a new app on my phone, "Best Of" from Village Voice.
It lists Best places in lots of categories from cities in the US, including KC.
Here's are some of what they list for bars, there are more than one for each category but I'm only listing one. For those who know-are they right?

Lew's Grill-7539 Wornall Rd.-Best Neighborhood Bar

Caddyshack- 700 E. 3rd St.-Best 3 a.m. Bar

The Peanut-5000 Main St.-Best Bar for a Hangover

Cigar Box-1519 Grand Blvd.-Best Bar for a Nightcap

Buzzard Beach-4110 Penn. Ave-Best Bar for a One Night Stand

Bobby Baker's Lounge-7418 wornall-Best Bar to Hide In

I worked at Buzzard's Beach, off and on, for about 12 years. Been awhile since I was there last but you could hook up for a one night stand easily back in the day.

Rain Man
06-25-2012, 01:01 PM
...saw an episode the other day where Fraiser had to undergo psychological evaluation for fighting at a hockey game.

Wow, I don't remember that one, and I thought I knew them all.

vailpass
06-25-2012, 01:06 PM
I worked at Buzzard's Beach, off and on, for about 12 years. Been awhile since I was there last but you could hook up for a one night stand easily back in the day.

Myth confirmed. Thank you.

KC_Lee
06-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Myth confirmed. Thank you.

Glad I could be of some help. :thumb:

Titty Meat
06-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Peanut was awesome back in the days of hip hop and hot wings

Sure-Oz
06-25-2012, 11:14 PM
I go to LS peanut here and there and its a great place to chill and have wings and get your drunk on

SPchief
06-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Lews is a good place. What's your thoughts on 75th street brewery? Decent beer in my opinion.

Fish
06-25-2012, 11:23 PM
I really like 75th St. Brewery. Their Summit St. IPA is fucking amazing. They're pricey, but it's worth it.

I used to live right at 79th and Wornall.