PDA

View Full Version : Poop Lasik

sedated
06-27-2012, 11:48 AM
I’m thinking about doing this rather than forking out $350 for contacts. But I can’t find (m)any reviews, and no one will quote a price, even ballpark, without an exam; and I’m not getting 10 exams just to compare prices.

Anyone have any recommendations? Experiences, good or bad?

Bowser
06-27-2012, 11:52 AM
I had a buddy do it. His eyesight really was pretty bad, but now he is 20/15 in both eyes.

I can hit him up for info if you want to know details. IIRC, it cost a couple of grand? But he said it was money well spent....

luv
06-27-2012, 11:53 AM
I think dad spent $1200 (somewhere in there) for one eye. I've never met anyone that has gotten it done that hasn't loved the results.

I think the price may depend on the severity of your eyesight, and there are certain things they can't help. That's probably why it's so difficult for them to quote you a price without an exam. I'd say that you probably need to get reviews on different places, and then just go with your gut on which one sounds best to you.

tooge
06-27-2012, 11:56 AM
My mom did it. Not sure of the cost, but she said it was one of the best things she's ever done for herself

Discuss Thrower
06-27-2012, 11:58 AM
I used to think I would never sack up and get the laser, but now that I found out my right eye is so messed up nothing fixes it, I'm all for it.

Seriously praying for a breakthrough in nanotech / cybernetics. I'm tired of being 20/80.

dilligaf
06-27-2012, 12:03 PM
I had it done about5 years ago. I love it.

RockChalk
06-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Did it around 5 years ago, with Dr Cavanaugh (Leawood/OP area). $2K per eye. 20/15 vision still to this day.

It's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Backwards Masking
06-27-2012, 12:13 PM
I’m thinking about doing this rather than forking out $350 for contacts. But I can’t find (m)any reviews, and no one will quote a price, even ballpark, without an exam; and I’m not getting 10 exams just to compare prices.

my pretty boy cousin's eyes became just bad enough last year that he had to either wear contacts or glasses full time so he got lasik (he's spoiled).

he paid $6K for both (even though he barely needed any correction at all). he said he could have paid $4k but he's not skimping when it comes to his health (which i can't blame him for even though he's pampered).

$350 for contacts sounds like a lot but...you don't have to wear them everyday, and can stretch them far longer than recommended provided you boil the cases regularly and don't sleep in them.

it all depends on what actually happens to people's vision that've had Lasik 30-40 years down the road (which we won't know for at least 10-20 more years). If it sticks, and doesnt result in other problems down the road, it's a no brainer to get Lasik ASAP and never waste money on glasses / contacts again. If it fades in time, or causes other problem$ later on, the $350 for contacts / glasses once every year or two isn't as expensive as it looks.

Only time will tell.

Backwards Masking
06-27-2012, 12:18 PM
I've never met anyone that has gotten it done that hasn't loved the results.

Neither have I, my eyesite is godawful AND i major / work in a field that's entirely vision oriented. I've thought about doing it for awhile, my hesitation lies in the potential side effects later on. No one will know what happens to Lasik patients vision 30-40 years from now for at least another 10-20 years. i think i'm gonna wait a decade to see, my vision has settled, im stocked up on contacts and have multiple pairs of glasses. once i can say i know an 80 year old that had it done 20 years ago and still has perfect vision, ill invest.

The Rick
06-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Did it around 5 years ago, with Dr Cavanaugh (Leawood/OP area). $2K per eye. 20/15 vision still to this day.

It's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.
Exactly this for me. Same price I paid, same results with my vision. A definite no-brainer in my opinion.

Omaha
06-27-2012, 12:25 PM

One of the best things I ever did. Great experience.

suds79
06-27-2012, 12:36 PM
I got it done in college. So sometime around 2000-2002.

Don't know what prices are now a days but didn't want to price shop. Went to a well established guy (can't remember name now) in KC. Cost about $4,500 for both.

Best $$ I've ever spent.

I've got to tell you about the experience though. It's not that bad but one you'll remember for sure.

I go in there, they lay you in the chair, tape your eye open and immediately start the drops so you don't dry out. It sounds horrible but it's not that bad.

Then they put on this suction thing over your eye. Your vision in that eye will fade and it goes to black... Don't worry you can still see out the other eye. At no time in the procedure will you see absolutely nothing freaking out you're going blind. ;) The Doc then cuts a slit open and the laser begins to go to work. What's interesting is I remember seeing these multi color speckles over the black in my eye. It's like you're tripping on something.

Honestly I was a little nervous but the nurse held my hand which seemed to help. I don't know. Just remember being glad she was there. The procedure doesn't hurt at all but still it can be nerve racking a little if you're anything like me.

They get done with one eye. Then start the other.

Both eyes took about 1/2 hr to hr. Really fast. You take an eye test 15 mins after surgery and you're already seeing 20/20.

It's a 1 day recovery. You're given these drops but I just mainly slept.

Do it. You won't regret it. Just go to someone good.

mlyonsd
06-27-2012, 12:41 PM
I had mine done about 4 years ago. Think I spent about $3500.

Best thing I ever did. I still need reading glasses though but bifocals sucked.

ChiefsCountry
06-27-2012, 12:44 PM
I wanted to but the big Lasik doctor in St. Louis said that I don't have enough of something in my eye to do it. I'm a candaiate because of my vision though but they don't have the techonlogy right now to fix mine. So its still contacts and glasses for me.

whoman69
06-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Cheap insurance companies never want to pay for this.

CanadianChief
06-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Had mine done awhile back. Eyesight has never been better...see attached pic!!!

sedated
06-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Cheap insurance companies never want to pay for this.

We just upgraded our vision coverage. Its either use an allowance for contacts (covers about a third of the total cost), or get 15% off lasik.

From hearing everyone else, it seems more expensive than I thought. I was guessing $2000 total, but it looks like it could be twice that.

Are all offices pretty much the same? I’m surprised there aren’t more reviews out there.

-King-
06-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Had mine done awhile back. Eyesight has never been better...see attached pic!!!

1st: Fuck you.

2nd: Thank God for adblock.

sedated
06-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Neither have I, my eyesite is godawful AND i major / work in a field that's entirely vision oriented. I've thought about doing it for awhile, my hesitation lies in the potential side effects later on. No one will know what happens to Lasik patients vision 30-40 years from now for at least another 10-20 years. i think i'm gonna wait a decade to see, my vision has settled, im stocked up on contacts and have multiple pairs of glasses. once i can say i know an 80 year old that had it done 20 years ago and still has perfect vision, ill invest.

I don’t see much point in waiting, one benefit of lasik is that its one of the few surgeries that saves you money. The earlier you get it, the more you save. By waiting 10 years, you’ll waste $2000-$3500.

And the problem with wanting extensive evidence is that, by the time you know how it affects humans at the age of 80, you will be 70. It’s a relatively new procedure, I want to say 10 years, so you only have that much warning for any potential issues.