PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft USA Olympic football team...

Ebolapox
06-27-2012, 11:24 PM
Strange thought... let's say that the IOC decides tomorrow that american football should be an olympic sport. Obviously, the rest of the world can't really compete--but, who should be on our inaugural dream team? how badly would we beat down the rest of the world? who should we get to coach the team, and should we have a token college player or two, ala christian laettner?

I'll be by later with my thoughts, just go crazy with it if you feel it.

and no, peyton manning isn't a viable starting QB for the olympic team, knowmo.

Chiefs=Champions
06-27-2012, 11:39 PM
The national australia team plays the US every now and then and gets smashed. The american team is normally made up of third division college players...

Bugeater
06-27-2012, 11:54 PM
Pro Bowl QB Matt Cassel.

BossChief
06-27-2012, 11:58 PM
If it was made an Olympic sport, it would be very interesting to see how creative some of the nations would be with the way they build an offense and how they defend a traditional offense.

Remember how effective the wildcat was when Miami was running it before the rest of the league caught up?

It would be interesting if another country could work within the framework of the rules of American football while developing a way to not only compete with the traditional sport we have become accustomed to...but to beat it.

It would also be interesting to see who would end up playing on the team for a multitude of reasons.

Would Japan possibly line up a 9 man OL of Sumos and build everything around a total outside the box running game?

Would chine have a whole team of smaller, quicker players and build a "far east offense" built around a short passing game and only a minimum OL built to get the ball out immediately?

Im not even sure...do any other countries play American football in their schools?

Rasputin
06-28-2012, 12:06 AM
If it was made an Olympic sport, it would be very interesting to see how creative some of the nations would be with the way they build an offense and how they defend a traditional offense.

Remember how effective the wildcat was when Miami was running it before the rest of the league caught up?

It would be interesting if another country could work within the framework of the rules of American football while developing a way to not only compete with the traditional sport we have become accustomed to...but to beat it.

It would also be interesting to see who would end up playing on the team for a multitude of reasons.

Would Japan possibly line up a 9 man OL of Sumos and build everything around a total outside the box running game?

Would chine have a whole team of smaller, quicker players and build a "far east offense" built around a short passing game and only a minimum OL built to get the ball out immediately?

Im not even sure...do any other countries play American football in their schools?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e141/bobrulz600/sumowrestler.jpg

This guy as there left tackle.

Quesadilla Joe
06-28-2012, 01:07 AM
QB: Aaron Rodgers
RB: Arian Foster
FB: Vontae Leach
WR: Calvin Johnson
WR: Larry Fitzgerald
TE: Gronk
LT: Joe Thomas
LG: Carl Nicks
C: Mangold
RG: Ben Grubbs
RT: Jason Peters
DE: JPP
DT: Ngata
DT: Justin Smith
RE: Jared Allen
WLB: Jon Beason
MLB: Patrick Willis
SLB: Von Miller
CB: Revis
CB: Champ
FS: Reed
SS: Polomalu
K: Matt Prater
P: Britton Colquit
KR: Hester
LS: Lonnie Paxton

Kyle DeLexus
06-28-2012, 01:11 AM
If they did have football in the Olympics and NFL players decided to participate, Tom Brady and around 15-20 other QBs would decline and our very own Pro Bowl QB Matt Cassel would get to show his Pro Bowl skills to the world.

Chiefs=Champions
06-28-2012, 01:23 AM

Wouldnt matter. it would be like phelps racing against nations who dont having swimming pools

Direckshun
06-28-2012, 01:30 AM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e141/bobrulz600/sumowrestler.jpg

This guy as there left tackle.

Those guys would make fascinating right tackles in a power scheme.

BillSelfsTrophycase
06-28-2012, 02:02 AM
ROLB: Von Miller

:LOL:

Sofa King
06-28-2012, 07:36 AM

LMAO

Not a single one of those would even be in the conversation.

Nice trolling attempt.

Rain Man
06-28-2012, 08:38 AM
Those guys would make fascinating right tackles in a power scheme.

I'm not sure they'd be mobile enough for offense other than perhaps short yardage. But their skills are perfect for a nose tackle position, because they train heavily in pushing, not getting pushed, and staying on their feet.

Their challenge would be that they don't train against opponents who cut block, but that can be overcome.

-King-
06-28-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm not sure they'd be mobile enough for offense other than perhaps short yardage. But their skills are perfect for a nose tackle position, because they train heavily in pushing, not getting pushed, and staying on their feet.

Their challenge would be that they don't train against opponents who cut block, but that can be overcome.

Another challenge is that I don't think they can last a drive much less last a whole game. I doubt they train endurance. Their matches are like 5 seconds. They wouldn't be able to take 60 minutes of constant action.

Sofa King
06-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Another challenge is that I don't think they can last a drive much less last a whole game. I doubt they train endurance. Their matches are like 5 seconds. They wouldn't be able to take 60 minutes of constant action.

Bad knees, slow movement.... etc... They would be terrible...

How would they stop a blitzing Pierre Paul on the outside? Dude is mega fast...

And their QB would be about 5 foot 3

suds79
06-28-2012, 09:31 AM

I just can't get beyond the fact that Arian Foster is running behind a Gary Kubiak, denver system offensive line. Steve Slaton before the fumbles even looked good in that system. Several RBs have looked great in that system.

It's the equivalent of the spread for QBs.

I'm not saying he isn't good. I'm just saying we don't know how good he really is. I'd like to see if he can do that on another team but we know that won't happen for a while.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-28-2012, 12:15 PM
The US already plays other countries in football. They use a bunch of scrubs and won the last 2 championships. World Championships every 4 years. Japan won a couple before U.S. decided to join the fun.

In 2011 they beat Canada 50-7 for the title
In 2007 they beat Japan 23-20 in OT. They also beat South Korea 77-0 in a game.

Ebolapox
06-28-2012, 02:34 PM
The US already plays other countries in football. They use a bunch of scrubs and won the last 2 championships. World Championships every 4 years. Japan won a couple before U.S. decided to join the fun.

link?

BossChief
06-28-2012, 03:54 PM

Really?

Ebolapox
06-28-2012, 04:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IFAF_World_Championship

Pasta Little Brioni
06-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Really?

Yep, it's pretty shitty football. I remember watching the game against Japan in 07.

The United States has fielded a team for both the 2007 and 2011 iterations, but with extremely restrictive criteria that make most American football players ineligible for the team. Despite the restrictions, the United States has won both world championships in which they have fielded a team

Here's there roster ROFL

Quarterbacks
5 Matt Bassuener
11 Micah Brown
7 Cody Hawkins
13 Ben McLaughlin

Running Backs

40 Richie Brockel FB/TE
37 Jason Haller
32 Henry Harris
1 Nate Kmic
20 Taylor Malm
25 Da'Shawn Thomas

Receivers

81 Alex Anderson
2 Ricardo Lenhart
88 Mike Peterson TE

Offensive Linemen
60 Alex Alvarez OL
78 Darius Henderson OL
54 Brandon Jordan OL
72 Frank Knights OL
65 Josh Koeppel C
70 Luke Summers OL
77 Daniel Warderburg OT
60 Cameron Zipp C

Defensive Linemen

91 Charles Bay DE
51 Gerard Bryant DL
99 Daniel Calvin DT
55 Daniel Catalano DT
93 Wacey Coleman DL
92 Johnny Dingle DT
98 Tyler Roach DL
75 Nick Rossi DL/OL

Linebackers
42 Demetrius Eaton
43 Terrence Jackson
56 John Jacobs
23 Osayi Osunde
44 Zach Watkins

Defensive Backs

30 Maurice Banks S
10 Myles Burnsides S
29 Diezeas Calbert CB
18 Tommy Connors S
27 Jeff Franklin CB/S
21 Jordan Lake S
12 DeWayne Lewis CB
33 Joe Sturdivant S
24 Daniel Tromello DB
22 Stephan Virgil CB

Special Teams

17 Gregg Berkshire K/P
Inactive List

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roster updated 2011-07-08

Gravedigger
06-28-2012, 05:09 PM
I don't see it happening at all, I mean the team from Africa would be unbeatable!

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
06-28-2012, 05:20 PM
Cody Hawkins. lol

And Johnny Dingle played a training camp here. A little piece of Herm and that incredible 08 squad is with the IFAF

Rain Man
06-28-2012, 05:24 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IFAF_World_Championship

I'd really like to know the measurables on those other teams. Height, weight, 40 time, etc. It'd be interesting to see what level of American football they match up with.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
06-28-2012, 05:30 PM
the US should send a very good high school team for 2015

hometeam
06-28-2012, 05:48 PM
A few years ago I watched an international championship game of some sort.. was Japan vs USA, USA guys where all no name college players, and our RB was bigger than the Japan D line, They looked like 5th graders out there.

ThaVirus
06-28-2012, 07:14 PM
I don't see it happening at all, I mean the team from Africa would be unbeatable!

They wouldn't have any linemen.

They'd be dangerous in the passing game though. Everyone run streaks and the QB is the best spear-chucker from the tribe. You can't defend against that! LMAO

Reaper16
06-28-2012, 07:16 PM
I recognize a lot of names from that 2011 U.S. roster. That team, iirc, was coached by former Northwest Missouri State University head coach, Mel Tjeerdsma.

beach tribe
06-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Ditka-96
Rest of the world-0

Seriously, the ass beatings, with college players only, would be worse than anything the dream team ever did.

beach tribe
06-28-2012, 09:18 PM
I can't imagine what a team like Alabama would do to international competition.

ChiefsCountry
06-28-2012, 09:20 PM

Shit Pitt State or Northwest Missouri would put a major ass whooping on them.
Posted via Mobile Device

chefsos
06-28-2012, 11:42 PM
Boss brings up an interesting point. What if the game was declared Olympic level, and some other country, starting with a clean slate and no preconceived ideas of how to prepare and play, came up with something just completely outside the box but within the rules? It would take years, of course, if at all, but you could wonder what their game would look like, and if it could give us trouble eventually.

Kyle DeLexus
06-29-2012, 12:34 AM

I actually like the high school idea. Take a top high school program and see what the best at our lowest level can do against the rest of the worlds top levels.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-29-2012, 06:36 AM

Hell, a Turner Gill led Beaker team could take em.

Rausch
06-29-2012, 07:07 AM
Hell, a Turner Gill led Beaker team could take em.

Well, let's not be silly here...

Extra Point
06-29-2012, 07:24 AM
Yeah, let's boost our country's medal count. And use synchronized ribbon dancers as cheerleaders.

Rausch
06-29-2012, 07:38 AM
Like we need to play the games to know who's best.

I would like to see another Tripple A/World league started up though...

Pasta Little Brioni
06-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Well, let's not be silly here...

These other teams are baaaaad, but you are right.

mcaj22
06-29-2012, 12:32 PM
Boss brings up an interesting point. What if the game was declared Olympic level, and some other country, starting with a clean slate and no preconceived ideas of how to prepare and play, came up with something just completely outside the box but within the rules? It would take years, of course, if at all, but you could wonder what their game would look like, and if it could give us trouble eventually.

another aspect is what if these foreign olypmic teams actually have developed GOOD players/prospects in their respective countries after they recruit for their team.

Then the foreign market potentially becomes a landing spot for the NFL. Kind of like the NBA

..."With the 3rd pick of the NFL Draft, the Kansas City Chiefs Select..... Quarterback Igoroski WIJDwnwajdajdnwkdvilli out of the Siberian Communist Republic of the Congo"

Stanley Nickels
06-29-2012, 02:02 PM
I just got back from my honeymoon.. while we were in Italy I watched some pretty impressive HS football between Bologna and Florence. Really wasn't much of a talent drop between that and American HS football.

Then I realized it wasn't HSFB. Those were the professional teams for Bologna and Florence.

Jiu Jitsu Jon
06-30-2012, 07:46 AM
Shit Pitt State or Northwest Missouri would put a major ass whooping on them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Webb City could take them.

|Zach|
06-30-2012, 08:01 AM
The Elite Football League of India kicks off in 45 days. Below is the very first scrimmage of pro football being played in the country. I would say it is better than I would have expected. Can't embed.

http://www.efli.com/video-gallery/efli-scrimmage.php

http://www.efli.com/images/logos/new/gladiators-t.jpghttp://www.efli.com/images/logos/new/marathas-t.jpg

CoMoChief
06-30-2012, 08:34 AM
The Elite Football League of India kicks off in 45 days. Below is the very first scrimmage of pro football being played in the country. I would say it is better than I would have expected. Can't embed.

http://www.efli.com/images/logos/new/gladiators-t.jpghttp://www.efli.com/images/logos/new/marathas-t.jpg

:LOL:

Kinda neat......but I'm still lmao

Gladiators QB has a better arm than Cassel, sadly.

rockymtnchief
06-30-2012, 09:08 AM

AND THE FANS GO....silent!ROFL I didn't see a single butt in the stands.

I hope it catches on over there.

|Zach|
06-30-2012, 09:15 AM
AND THE FANS GO....silent!ROFL I didn't see a single butt in the stands.

I hope it catches on over there.

Yea its just a scrimmage. Who knows if they even had fans out. I imagine they are just trying to nail down how to operate a game efficiently all around.