PDA

View Full Version : KU KU Cancer Center to get National designation

Mr. Laz
06-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Sources say KU’s National Cancer Institute designation application was successful, formal announcement expected in July
EmailComment (1)PrintFacebookDiggDelicious
By Andy Hyland
June 28, 2012
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2012/jun/28/sources-say-kus-national-cancer-institute-designat/?breaking

Photo by Kevin Anderson Lawrence Journal World

Kansas University Hospital is located near West 39th Street and Rainbow Boulevard in Kansas City, Kan.

Kansas University's Cancer Center will receive its long-sought National Cancer Institute designation, with a formal announcement expected in early July, sources said Thursday night.

U.S. Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan., announced the news on Facebook.

"I am pleased that The University of Kansas has been given a green light and I look forward to a formal announcement of their National Cancer Institute designation," he wrote on his Facebook page.

KU applied for the designation in September, after working for seven years and investing more than $350 million toward the effort that would be a boon for the local economy and offer promising new treatments to cancer patients in the region. In September, KU officials said the effort had already created 1,123 jobs and contributed $453 million to the region’s economy.

"The announcement's on its way, and I'm excited," Ed McKechnie, chairman of the Kansas Board of Regents, said Thursday evening.

More details will posted as they become available tonight.

DJay23
06-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Rock Chalk!

Chiefspants
06-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Proud to be a Jayhawk. :)

Bambi
06-29-2012, 07:23 AM
wow, another major accomplishment for that university. Congrats to all involved.

Braincase
06-30-2012, 08:45 AM
This is a really big deal. I was talking with a friend last night who is in the Pharmaceutical School, and this is going to be a huge gateway for additional research and high-paying jobs in the Lawrence/Kansas City area.

Al Bundy
06-30-2012, 08:50 AM
A good friend of mine's mom was treated there and has been in remission.

HolyHandgernade
06-30-2012, 10:08 AM
Congrats to KU!

chief4life
06-30-2012, 10:45 AM
That is awesome :thumb: Rockchalk

Stanley Nickels
06-30-2012, 11:06 AM
I do cancer research at KUMC.. this has been an incredibly stressful last few months to really ensure that our facilities are in the best shape, among other things. There's been some turnover at the highest positions of the med center, but this designation makes all that stress worth it.

ChiefMojo
06-30-2012, 12:50 PM
This is HUGE news for the hospital, the State of Kansas and for sure KU!

To be a National Designation Cancer Center means your one of the very best in the world and the research/funding you will get from it is tremendous.

Stanley Nickels
06-30-2012, 12:52 PM
I'm sure 90% of this funding will go to the already-beautiful Hemenway Building. I say that only out of pure, unadulterated, spite.

DanT
06-30-2012, 01:35 PM
I do cancer research at KUMC. this has been an incredibly stressful last few months to really ensure that our facilities are in the best shape, among other things. There's been some turnover at the highest positions of the med center, but this designation makes all that stress worth it.

Congratulations to KU! This is a big deal. KU will be joining some elite company, including my own institution, UC Davis, which recently was designated a "Comprehensive Cancer Center". Keep up the great work, KU!

www.cancer.gov/researchandfunding/extramural/cancercenters