PDA

View Full Version : Misc If this is real I fear for the intelligence of our kids

mlyonsd
07-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Florida teen dies in game of Russian Roulette, police say

Published July 01, 2012
Associated Press

LARGO, Fla. – A southwest Florida teenager has died after authorities say he was shot during a game of Russian Roulette.

Pinellas County Sheriff's deputies said 17-year-old Thorin Montgomery was the first of his friends to have a turn at the game when the gun discharged Friday. He was shot in the head.

Montgomery had been in critical condition since the shooting. Deputies sent a statement Sunday saying the teen had died.

They are still investigating the shooting. An autopsy is pending.

Bump
07-01-2012, 03:40 PM
so, did they finish the game?

milkman
07-01-2012, 03:41 PM
The fun never stops.

Pablo
07-01-2012, 03:41 PM
GODDAMN IT DEER HUNTER. CHRISTOPHER WALKEN'S CHARACTER HAS TAKEN ANOTHER ONE OF OUR YOUTH.

chefsos
07-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Perhaps they were simply recreating the Upperclass Twit of the Year sketch.

notorious
07-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Thorin.

Did the kid really have a chance?

WhiteWhale
07-01-2012, 03:54 PM
The title of this post is retarded.

You fear for the intelligence of our youth?

Like what? You think this is the first time a teenager killed himself taking an incredibly stupid and pointless risk? Good lord man, get back on that turnip truck.

Pablo
07-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Thorin.

Did the kid really have a chance?Yeah, with a name like that you'd likely get shot down at a job interview.

milkman
07-01-2012, 03:56 PM
What I want to know, did that kid win or lose according to the rules of this game?

KCrockaholic
07-01-2012, 03:59 PM
So did the other kids get to keep his money cause he was dead?

And also, what was the order? If he got 5th turn or so, then his luck wasn't bad, it was just a matter of time.

notorious
07-01-2012, 04:00 PM
What I want to know, did that kid win or lose according to the rules of this game?

Darwin wins.

Bowser
07-01-2012, 04:02 PM
One less idiot for my daughter to potentially mate with one day down the road. Kick ass.

mlyonsd
07-01-2012, 04:02 PM
The title of this post is retarded.

You fear for the intelligence of our youth?

Like what? You think this is the first time a teenager killed himself taking an incredibly stupid and pointless risk? Good lord man, get back on that turnip truck.It's a thread title retard.

mikey23545
07-01-2012, 04:04 PM
They didn't realize there was only supposed to be one bullet in the revolver.

chefsos
07-01-2012, 04:06 PM
So did the other kids get to keep his money cause he was dead?

And also, what was the order? If he got 5th turn or so, then his luck wasn't bad, it was just a matter of time.LARGO, Fla. – A southwest Florida teenager has died after authorities say he was shot during a game of Russian Roulette.

Pinellas County Sheriff's deputies said 17-year-old Thorin Montgomery was the first of his friends to have a turn at the game when the gun discharged Friday. He was shot in the head.

Montgomery had been in critical condition since the shooting. Deputies sent a statement Sunday saying the teen had died.

They are still investigating the shooting. An autopsy is pending.

The answer you seek is hidden in this huge wall o' text.

Chiefshrink
07-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Thorin.

Did the kid really have a chance?

Are you sure the kid's name isn't Bevis or Butthead?:shrug:

KCUnited
07-01-2012, 04:11 PM
JFK, what is wrong with kids today?!

Chiefaholic
07-01-2012, 04:20 PM
They didn't realize there was only supposed to be one bullet in the revolver.

I wouldn't be surprised if they used the wrong type of pistol.

http://mybloggityblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Glock19fs.jpg

Mr. Kotter
07-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Well, something we can agree on, Mark. Heh. Seriously though, technology and social media including the web and Youtube...are escalating this kind of thing. They see stuff, imitate it, and the next thing you know something tragic like this happens. Holy crap, the world we grew up in had it's own challenges, but parents really have to be doubly diligent these days...and too many just aren't. And even if they are, that's not always good enough. I see it all the time at school...and among my own kid's friends, and as a parent it's truly scary.

Saul Good
07-01-2012, 07:12 PM

That was my first thought.

Rain Man
07-01-2012, 07:31 PM
These things strike home to me because we all took stupid risks as kids. I remember playing Hungry Hungry Hippos with real hippos, and looking back now, that was really dumb.

kysirsoze
07-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Well, something we can agree on, Mark. Heh. Seriously though, technology and social media including the web and Youtube...are escalating this kind of thing. They see stuff, imitate it, and the next thing you know something tragic like this happens. Holy crap, the world we grew up in had it's own challenges, but parents really have to be doubly diligent these days...and too many just aren't. And even if they are, that's not always good enough. I see it all the time at school...and among my own kid's friends, and as a parent it's truly scary.

Dude, he was 17. Almost old enough operate a gun in service to our country. Why can't someone just be a fucking moron and leave it at that? Why does every anecdotal little newsflash have to say something larger about the state of our society. I'm sorry for his family, but he was practically and adult and he did it to himself. YouTube didn't make him put a gun to his head and pull the trigger.

AustinChief
07-01-2012, 07:36 PM
These things strike home to me because we all took stupid risks as kids. I remember playing Hungry Hungry Hippos with real hippos, and looking back now, that was really dumb.

I hear they are making a movie about your childhood experience.

http://helablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/hungry_hungry_hippos_movie.jpg

Mr. Kotter
07-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Dude, he was 17. Almost old enough operate a gun in service to our country. Why can't someone just be a ****ing moron and leave it at that? Why does every anecdotal little newsflash have to say something larger about the state of our society. I'm sorry for his family, but he was practically and adult and he did it to himself. YouTube didn't make him put a gun to his head and pull the trigger.

Because I see it; everyday in the classroom. Dumb-shit is escalating due to the net, social media, and a increasingly narcissistic and self-absorbed society. Navel gazing and "extreme" everything risk-taking behavior isn't new, but it's becoming an epidemic. If you haven't been alive long enough to see it, wait.

However, I do agree--we've always had stupid people doing stupid stuff; my point is, it is increasing. I am absolutely certain of that, because I've been watching it first hand for 20+ years now. You don't have to believe me, but it's true.

BillSelfsTrophycase
07-01-2012, 07:41 PM
I'm sad that he died

Now nobody can smack him upside his fucking head and call him a dumbass

kysirsoze
07-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Because I see it; everyday in the classroom. Dumb-shit is escalating due to the net, social media, and a increasingly narcissistic and self-absorbed society. Navel gazing and "extreme" everything risk-taking behavior isn't new, but it's becoming an epidemic. If you haven't been alive long enough to see it, wait.

However, I do agree--we've always had stupid people doing stupid stuff; my point is, it is increasing. I am absolutely certain of that, because I've been watching it first hand for 20+ years now. You don't have to believe me, but it's true.

I'm not denying it's true. I'm saying this situation has nothing to do with social networking or YouTube. If it wasn't this, that kid would have found some way to off himself/ruin his life. Darwin awards candidate for sure.

Mr. Kotter
07-01-2012, 08:01 PM
I'm not denying it's true. I'm saying this situation has nothing to do with social networking or YouTube. If it wasn't this, that kid would have found some way to off himself/ruin his life. Darwin awards candidate for sure.

If you don't think there is a connection....then you need to, wait; because you will see it. Trust me. The Darwin awards are becoming much, much more "competitive" due to idiots imitating the stupidity of morons.

-King-
07-01-2012, 08:03 PM

People have been playing Russian Roulette for decades. It's nothing new.

And how exactly is social media escalating Russian Roulette deaths?

Mr. Kotter
07-01-2012, 08:04 PM
People have been playing Russian Roulette for decades. It's nothing new.

If you don't think it's becoming more and more common...then you aren't paying attention, IMHO.

....And how exactly is social media escalating Russian Roulette deaths?

Idiots, exposed to the lunacy of morons....imitate their behavior. Not rocket science...just sayin'.

-King-
07-01-2012, 08:43 PM
If you don't think it's becoming more and more common...then you aren't paying attention, IMHO.

Idiots, exposed to the lunacy of morons....imitate their behavior. Not rocket science...just sayin'.

Russian Roulette is becoming more common? Anything to back that up?

SCTrojan
07-01-2012, 08:44 PM

You could use one of those for that sort of thing.

TimeForWasp
07-01-2012, 08:46 PM
You never hear about a Russian playing this game.

chefsos
07-01-2012, 08:48 PM
You never hear about a Russian playing this game.:hmmm:

tredadda
07-01-2012, 09:04 PM
This game Russian Roulette is a new one? I swear it has been around for many generations. I bet it is still around because more than two teenagers in it's history have done it.

Mr. Kotter
07-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Russian Roulette is becoming more common? Anything to back that up?

Anecdotal evidence? Absolutely. Empirical research? Guess we gotta get our pols on that, ASAP.

Go ahead though, and bury your head in the sand. You've got lots and lots of company. Have a party.

-King-
07-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Anecdotal evidence? Absolutely. Emperical research? Guess we gotta get our pols on that, ASAP.

Go ahead though, and bury your head in the sand. You've got lots and lots of company. Have a party.

MORE KIDS ARE PLAYING RUSSIAN ROULETTE BECAUSE OF SOCIAL MEDIA!

I DON'T HAVE ANY PROOF BUT I'M RIGHT!!

Hammock Parties
07-01-2012, 09:14 PM
This is just the leftover genetics from the dumb generation being weeded out.

Kids are getting smarter, not dumber.

Mr. Kotter
07-01-2012, 09:15 PM

The all "CAPS" was a nice touch; adds to your credibility, I know. Heh.

I know. I'm only a teacher...who has worked with kids daily (summer too) for 25+ years now. I probably don't know anything.

-King-
07-01-2012, 09:17 PM
I know. I'm only a teacher...who has worked with kids daily (summer too) for 25+ years now. I probably don't know anything.

Yeah, and I'm a person under 25.

So I think I know more about my age group than you do.

BTW, what does you being a teacher have to do with anything? What? Do your students play russian roulette or something? Do they talk about doing it?

Pablo
Anecdotal evidence? Absolutely. Empirical research? Guess we gotta get our pols on that, ASAP.

Teenagers, boys in particular are largely morons. It's been this way forever and probably always will be due to groupthink. YouTube has jackshit to do with it.

Mr. Kotter
This is just the leftover genetics from the dumb generation being weeded out.

Kids are getting smarter, not dumber.

Seriously, Clayton. YOU do not want to go there....just sayin'. Heh.

Deberg_1990
07-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Kid must be a big fan of "187" and "Deer Hunter"

Mr. Kotter
07-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Yeah, and I'm a person under 25.

So I think I know more about my age group than you do.

BTW, what does you being a teacher have to do with anything? What? Do your students play russian roulette or something? Do they talk about doing it?

So, you think you know more than someone who's lived twice as long, and been observing the whole time. Cool. You is one BAMF; just go ahead and ignore us geriatric types. We don't know shit. Carry on.

Teenagers, boys in particular are largely morons. It's been this way forever and probably always will be due to groupthink. YouTube has jackshit to do with it.

Under 30-ish too, I suppose. Eh? :hmmm:

Hammock Parties
07-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Seriously, Clayton. YOU do not want to go there....just sayin'. Heh.

I don't care about the redneck kids you've been teaching. They're not a good cross section.

-King-
07-01-2012, 09:22 PM
So, you think you know more than someone who's lived twice as long, and been observing the whole time. Cool. You is one BAMF; just go ahead and ignore us geriatric types. We don't know shit. Carry on.

YOU said that kids are playing Russian Roulette more because of social media. So it doesn't matter if you've lived twice as long as me or 50 times as long as me. There was no social media back them.

We're specifically talking about kids now.

And once again, what does being a teacher have to do with Russian Roulette?

-King-
07-01-2012, 09:32 PM

Nope, it's all those youtube videos and all the Russian roulette videos they show...

Mr. Kotter
07-01-2012, 09:33 PM
YOU said that kids are playing Russian Roulette more because of social media. So it doesn't matter if you've lived twice as long as me or 50 times as long as me. There was no social media back them.

We're specifically talking about kids now.

And once again, what does being a teacher have to do with Russian Roulette?

I'll throw you a bone...school of 2100 kids. I teach about 400 every yr; history, government, online classes, driver ed...and coaching. 29% of our kids are not "caucasian;" 60% get free or reduced "lunch." So we ain't no podunk backwoods rural school.

In the past ten years, I've had 3 "lock-downs" for serious "weapons" incidents, four teachers "officially" assaulted, five student suicides, and multiple monthly drug-and-alcohol related "issues." Next to none of that stuff was going on 10-20 years ago.

Do I have a government study to tell me why things have changed? Nope. However, I have a brain and four kids, presently ages 9-16. I also have eyes. Between video-games, social media, the net, decreased social acumen, increased desensitization to violence, and distractions of "multi-tasking"....there has been a toll. If you wish to ignore that toll, be my guest. However, I don't think that's a wise course of action for "society."

tredadda
07-01-2012, 09:36 PM

Is this Iz Zat Chew?

Hammock Parties
07-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Social media and the internet only make the next generation smarter. Especially the internet. If you deny these truths, you are an old fuddy duddy set in your ways.

Ability to multi-task is not a distraction, either. It's highly useful.

Mr. Kotter
07-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Social media and the internet only make the next generation smarter. Especially the internet. If you deny these truths, you are an old fuddy duddy set in your ways.

Ability to multi-task is not a distraction, either.

Uh-huh. Keep telling yourself that...as we slip to the 20s or 30s in international testing scores behind countries that are not as technologically "sophisticated."

FWIW, you still livin' in the parent's basement, or have you finally moved on? Heh. :p

Hammock Parties
07-01-2012, 09:41 PM
You are segregating the next generation by country for some reason. That doesn't really make any sense.

The "smarter" countries are even more technologically dependent than we are.

We'll get there. We just need to replace the old fuddy duddy leadership with bright new minds from the next generation.

Hammock Parties
07-01-2012, 09:44 PM
#1 proof that the past is dumb and the future is smart is the decreasing percentage of religious zealots within our population.

Mr. Kotter
07-01-2012, 09:49 PM
#1 proof that the past is dumb and the future is smart is the decreasing percentage of religious zealots within our population.Clayton...clayton....clayton. I still love ya, but...wow. Keep pushin', dude.

-King-
07-01-2012, 09:51 PM
I'll throw you a bone...school of 2100 kids. I teach about 400 every yr; history, government, online classes, driver ed...and coaching. 29% of our kids are not "caucasian;" 60% get free or reduced "lunch." So we ain't no podunk backwoods rural school.

In the past ten years alone, I've had 3 "lock-downs" for serious "weapons" incidents, four teachers "officially" assaulted, five student suicides, and multiple monthly drug-and-alcohol related "issues." Next to none of that stuff was going on 10-20 years ago.

Do I have a government study to tell me why things have changed? Nope. However, I have a brain and four kids, presently ages 9-16. I also have eyes. Between video-games, social media, the net, decreased social acumen, increased desensitization to violence, and distractions of "multi-tasking"....there has been a toll. If you wish to ignore that toll, be my guest. However, I don't think that's a wise course of action for "society."

But violent crime is on the decline. So....

Hammock Parties
07-01-2012, 09:52 PM
The numbers don't lie, old man.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/128276/increasing-number-no-religious-identity.aspx

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/zkhxmzvbekozvpl6obartg.gif

Mr. Kotter
07-01-2012, 09:53 PM
But violent crime is on the decline. So....

One word: Abortion. Sort of a Darwin award line-of-thinking....

Read "Freakonomics"...it'll clue you in...not sayin' I buy it entirely, but it resonates.

Mr. Kotter
07-01-2012, 09:54 PM
The numbers don't lie, old man.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/128276/increasing-number-no-religious-identity.aspx

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/zkhxmzvbekozvpl6obartg.gif

You JW Days have twisted you, dude; move on...let it go. Seriously.

Hammock Parties
07-01-2012, 09:55 PM
This has nothing to do with my past. Facts are facts.

Mr. Kotter
07-01-2012, 09:59 PM
This has nothing to do with my past. Facts are facts.

Un-huh. I've been reading you/"known" you for more than a decade. Can't hide it from me...

Hammock Parties
07-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Two of the most successful executives in two of our country's leading industries (sports and technology) are not even 40 years old.

http://www.inquisitr.com/wp-content/2011/10/theo-epstein.jpg

http://cdn.thegloss.com/files/2010/09/amd_facebook_mark-zuckerberg.jpg

U mad, old guys?

Psyko Tek
07-01-2012, 10:01 PM
where they at least using a revolver?

using a semi-automatic does not work well with this game

-King-
07-01-2012, 10:03 PM
So social media is making kids more violent, yet violent crimes have been on a downward trend the last 5+ years.

Hmm...

KCrockaholic
07-01-2012, 10:03 PM
The answer you seek is hidden in this huge wall o' text.

Well that's just bad luck and it was probably meant to be. Praise baby jesus.

Hammock Parties
07-01-2012, 10:04 PM
So social media is making kids more violent, yet violent crimes have been on a downward trend the last 5+ years.

Hmm...

We're becoming increasingly less violent and less religious as a society.

Coincidence?

Nah...

Mr. Kotter
07-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Two of the most successful executives in two of our country's leading industries (sports and technology) are not even 40 years old.

U mad, old guys?

I'm bettin' they didn't live in the parent's basement until they were 30-ish, though. Just sayin'....

Hammock Parties
07-01-2012, 10:05 PM
I'm bettin' they didn't live in the parent's basement until they were 30-ish, though. Just sayin'....

If flinging ignorant insults is all you're going to bring to the debate, you've already lost.

I would expect no less from your generation.

Mr. Kotter
07-01-2012, 10:07 PM
If flinging ignorant insults is all you're going to bring to the debate, you've already lost.

I would expect no less from your generation.

Go back to the basement, Clayton. It is what it is...just hopin' my four don't emulate you. Heh.

KCrockaholic
07-01-2012, 10:07 PM
This is one topic Mr. Toad King and I would probably get along very well on.

Pablo
07-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Go back to the basement, Clayton. It is what it is...just hopin' my four don't emulate you. Heh.Just keep them sheltered from social media and YouTube and I'm sure you won't have any problems.

Hammock Parties
07-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Go back to the basement, Clayton. It is what it is...

Yep. You're an ignorant old man.

Hammock Parties
07-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Just keep them sheltered from social media and YouTube and I'm sure you won't have any problems.

Religion teaches us these things are for sinners.

-King-
07-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Did you know that according to official FBI and U.S. Department of Justice reports, the rates of violent crime in the U.S. are now at their lowest level in 40 years? Did you know that violent crime rates of 2010 were 1/3 the rates of 1994? Other countries are experiencing a similar decline. And deaths of law enforcement officers are at their lowest in 50 years according to this Boston Globe article. What inspiring news!!! Yet I'm amazed at how little media attention this is drawing. But the youtubes!

Mr. Kotter
07-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Just keep them sheltered from social media and YouTube and I'm sure you won't have any problems.

Hell, I'm smart enough not to even try; that would be the sure way for them to obsess.

Mr. Kotter
07-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Yep. You're an ignorant old man.

Uh-huh. Whatever makes you sleep well in that basement, Clayton....nighty-night.

Hammock Parties
07-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Keep playing that card. It's winning this game for sure.

Mr. Kotter
07-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Keep playing that card. It's winning this game for sure.

Nighty-night, sir. :thumb:

Hammock Parties
07-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Tap out acknowledged. Concession accepted.

-King-
07-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Man, this has to suck for you Mr. Kotter

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/glance/tables/viortrdtab.cfm

Mr. Kotter
07-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Man, this has to suck for you Mr. Kotter

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/glance/tables/viortrdtab.cfm (http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/glance/tables/viortrdtab.cfm)

You think that validates your position? Seriously? Think again....:doh!:

Tap out acknowledged. Concession accepted.

Not quite. However, some of us have real jobs...in about 9 hours. Sweet dreams, Peter Pan.

Your parents' religion teaches crap like that. Not ever sect is made up of complete nutjobs that think technology, TV, and cell phones are the devil. But you keep on with your silly, misguided vendetta against religion and God based on your experiences with one of the craziest religions of them all.

Heh. Clayton is not going to make the connection. Wasting your time...

Phobia
07-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Religion teaches us these things are for sinners.

Your parents' religion teaches crap like that. Not ever sect is made up of complete nutjobs that think technology, TV, and cell phones are the devil. But you keep on with your silly, misguided vendetta against religion and God based on your experiences with one of the craziest religions of them all.

loochy
07-01-2012, 10:31 PM
KUMPUTERZ R BAD CUZ THEY MAKE GUN BOOM IN MOUTH

Hammock Parties
07-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Not every sect is made up of complete nutjobs that think technology, TV, and cell phones are the devil.

There are several examples, that's enough.

The religious decline in this country is fucking awesome.

-King-
07-01-2012, 10:43 PM
You think that validates your position? Seriously? Think again....:doh!:

You said that because of social media, kids are more violent.

Those stats prove that that's bullshit. Crime has been going down for years. Social Media hasn't done shit to influence it.

Or are you saying that those stats are wrong and violence is actually up?

"Bob" Dobbs
07-02-2012, 10:14 AM
The REAL questjon is... why in the fuck is there an autopsy pending? Isnt the cause of death fairly obvious? I'm not an MD but I bet I could figure it out.
Posted via Mobile Device

mlyonsd
07-02-2012, 10:17 AM
The REAL questjon is... why in the **** is there an autopsy pending? Isnt the cause of death fairly obvious? I'm not an MD but I bet I could figure it out.
Posted via Mobile DeviceI'd guess to see what was in his system and verify the bullet hole fits the desrciption of a self inflicted wound.

Also, maybe they have summer college interns down at the coroners that need something to do.

Okie_Apparition
07-02-2012, 11:31 AM
The family dog said he tasted better than Alpo