PDA

View Full Version : Life Le Sigh: Teh Workplace.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 09:45 AM
I'm torn.

Four months ago I requested 5 consecutive paid days away from my job.
That request was approved by my supervisor. I'm leading a Hip Hop Summer Camp for the Community School of the Arts I work for, in my spare time. This is something I typically do annually. It's a nice in-town vacay and I get paid by both employers for the week in question.

I made the mistake of requesting the time off too far in advance. I'll own that. Since that time the three days of PTO I had stored away have been used up. I now only have 1 day to cover the 5 days I'll be out next week. As much as that'll suck, I realize I should've asked for the time off a lot later than I did.

That said, I recently asked the HR rep here if we were allowed to borrow time. I was told, emphatically, that was against the company's policy. Fast forward to today...Today I learn that an often absent employee here has been allowed to borrow time TWICE this year due to an ungodly number of unexcused absences that quickly ate up her time (and caused a negative PTO balance). She has a different supervisor, but he managed to approve that despite the company policy that prohibits it. And she's been allowed to do that TWICE this year.

So I go and ask my supe about it...and request a PTO exception to an EXCUSED absence. His answer? Absolutely not.

So, multiple unexcused absences can lead to bending a company policy, but having been approved for the time off 4 months ago CANNOT?

Pick this battle or no? Cause needless to say, I'm pissed.

loochy
07-02-2012, 09:47 AM
You can't win this battle. Company policy is company policy and apparently your supervisor doesn't like to ignore the rules.

QuikSsurfer
07-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Leave it alone.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-02-2012, 09:49 AM
different supervisor. If the other guy wants to risk getting in trouble for helping the chick out that's on him. Can't really say anything negative about your immediate boss for following the rules.

OnTheWarpath15
07-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Nope. Let this one go. Your answer is right here:

I made the mistake of requesting the time off too far in advance. I'll own that. Since that time the three days of PTO I had stored away have been used up. I now only have 1 day to cover the 5 days I'll be out next week. As much as that'll suck, I realize I should've asked for the time off a lot later than I did.

Not worth looking like a whining bitch over, IMO.

morphius
07-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Doubtful that it is worth the fight, and do you really know why she got the extra time off? I could see the bosses giving some slack for deaths in the family, family sickness, etc.

Bearcat
07-02-2012, 09:56 AM
If I was in that position, I'd be curious about the unexcused absences... but, even if they were just stupid excuses to take the day off, it's probably not worth it.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Nope. Let this one go. Your answer is right here:

Not worth looking like a whining bitch over, IMO.

Not sure how that makes me look like a bitch, but duly noted.

Fish
07-02-2012, 09:59 AM
A fight you cannot win....

Micjones
07-02-2012, 10:00 AM
If the circumstances were equal I'd understand. I'd be disappointed, but I'd understand.
This isn't even solely a matter of managerial discretion.

The department that processes PTO has to ACCEPT a request to circumvent the policy.
They'll accept those requests for callouts, but not for pre-approved time off?
That's asinine.

OnTheWarpath15
Not sure how that makes me look like a bitch, but duly noted.

I don't think you would look like a bitch, but your employer might.

Not worth the risk, IMO.

IratePrimate
It's not the companies fault that YOU can't manage your PTO. You didn't ask of too far in advance, you just need to learn to manage your time. You knew you need 5 days for this time, yet you got down to one day?

Let it go and learn to manage your time

Micjones
07-02-2012, 10:03 AM
It's not the companies fault that YOU can't manage your PTO. You didn't ask of too far in advance, you just need to learn to manage your time. You knew you need 5 days for this time, yet you got down to one day?

I'm surprised it took this long to get the uber-judgmental answer.

Time has to be accrued here. I have less than a year served.
When I made the request, I'd been here just four months.
I only had 1 day accrued at that point.

This isn't a matter of me using time unwisely.
It's a matter of me not having had much of it to begin with.

And again, that's not important to the discussion.
Because on the other side...we have someone who hasn't managed time and isn't being responsible with coming to work.

The decision to be made here is whether or not the strike is being called consistently. Clearly in this case, it's not.

The question I'm asking...
Is it worth fighting. The prevailing thought thus far is "no".
I respect that. Let's just not make this a matter of my being irresponsible.

Brock
07-02-2012, 10:04 AM

Since that time the three days of PTO I had stored away have been used up. I now only have 1 day to cover the 5 days I'll be out next week.

This doesn't make sense to me. You requested 5 days off, but then burned up 3 of the days you had, but you would have only had 4 days to cover 5 days off.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 10:05 AM
This doesn't make sense to me. You requested 5 days off, but then burned up 3 of the days you had, but you would have only had 4 days to cover 5 days off.

It's been four months. I've accrued other time since then.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 10:07 AM
I don't think you would look like a bitch, but your employer might.

Not worth the risk, IMO.

Fair enough. I respect that.

IratePrimate
07-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Sorry as a former sup it always got on my nervs when people had something planned and then when the didn't have the time i was the bad guy. I already had tickets to go to ......... but now your saying i cant go?

You are in a bit of a different situation. Where i work you had to have the time to request if off. It doesn't make since they would approved the days you had off before you even had them. If that's the case and they knew you wouldn't of earned the days by the requested time off............ I don't see why they just don't let you have non paid days off.

I'm surprised it took this long to get the uber-judgmental legalistic answer.

Time has to be accrued here. I have less than a year served.
I only had 1 day accrued at that point.

This isn't a matter of me using time unwisely. It's a matter of me not having had much of it to begin with.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Sorry as a former sup it always got on my nervs when people had something planned and then when the didn't have the time i was the bad guy. I already had tickets to go to ......... but now your saying i cant go?

You are in a bit of a different situation. Where i work you had to have the time to request if off. It doesn't make since they would approved the days you had off before you even had them. If that's the case and they knew you wouldn't of earned the days by the requested time off............ I don't see why they just don't let you have non paid days off.

I'm still allowed to have the time off. Those days will simply be unpaid.

stevieray
07-02-2012, 10:10 AM
....try not to compare yourself or your situation to other employees.

live and learn.

OnTheWarpath15
07-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Fair enough. I respect that.

I agree with you that the "strikes" are not being called consistently. IMO, it doesn't matter what the reason is, it's bullshit she's been granted exceptions to the rule while you've been declined.

But best case scenario, what are you really going to "win" should you fight this?

A few days off paid, and your employer wondering if you're going to bitch every time you perceive you've been slighted in the workplace.

Not worth it, especially for a guy with less than a year in the company.

Brock
07-02-2012, 10:12 AM
It's been four months. I've accrued other time since then.

How much PTO do you have now?

Bearcat
07-02-2012, 10:24 AM
I'm surprised it took this long to get the uber-judgmental answer.

Because on the other side...we have someone who hasn't managed time and isn't being responsible with coming to work.

Do you know why she's taken so much time off? If not, it's just as judgmental to say she's not responsible with her time. Getting an exception because you haven't been there long enough to accrue the time, knowing that would be the case when you were hired, is different than getting an exception because of legit medical reasons, family issues, etc.

phisherman
07-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Honestly, I would accept the situation, but I would probably go to HR and let them know that another worker was allowed to get away with it. Hopefully they will document that and not let those situations slip past next time.

Don't let them sweep it under the rug.

steve_minor
07-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Don't fight this!!!! Unless you are ready to find another job.

Life isn't fair and absolutely no workplace is fair. You have built your case around 1 other employee. You and I will never know the circumstance for their time off. I am guessing you heard of this at the water cooler. Did you ever think that it might be a personal matter, and even their coworkers don't know and the other supervisor determined for privacy reasons to let them think what they are thinking.

If 1 other person in your company requested to borrow PTO and got denied your whole argument is invalid. Now you are getting treated fairly :)

mlyonsd
07-02-2012, 10:28 AM
A fight you cannot win....This.

DeezNutz
07-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Sorry about the bad luck, luv.

(I keed.)

petegz28
07-02-2012, 10:30 AM
You'll lose. The best you can do is take the time off unpaid. They should not have an issue with that.

Buck
07-02-2012, 10:37 AM
You should kill yourself for using that thread title.

tooge
07-02-2012, 10:54 AM
lete it go. Until closing time. then poop on his desk

Micjones
07-02-2012, 11:00 AM

live and learn.

I honestly do try to do that in most cases.
It was really tough doing that this time around though.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 11:01 AM
I agree with you that the "strikes" are not being called consistently. IMO, it doesn't matter what the reason is, it's bullshit she's been granted exceptions to the rule while you've been declined.

But best case scenario, what are you really going to "win" should you fight this?

A few days off paid, and your employer wondering if you're going to bitch every time you perceive you've been slighted in the workplace.

Not worth it, especially for a guy with less than a year in the company.

Good points.

I'm leaning towards biting the bullet (and my tongue) here, but that might be worth it...Trying to win the fight. I could really use the dough. I'm not a boat rocker most of the time anyway so those employer concerns would eventually subside (unfounded).

Garcia Bronco
07-02-2012, 11:02 AM
I'm torn.

That request was approved by my supervisor. I'm leading a Hip Hop Summer Camp for the Community School of the Arts I work for, in my spare time. This is something I typically do annually. It's a nice in-town vacay and I get paid by both employers for the week in question.

That said, I recently asked the HR rep here if we were allowed to borrow time. I was told, emphatically, that was against the company's policy. Fast forward to today...Today I learn that an often absent employee here has been allowed to borrow time TWICE this year due to an ungodly number of unexcused absences that quickly ate up her time (and caused a negative PTO balance). She has a different supervisor, but he managed to approve that despite the company policy that prohibits it. And she's been allowed to do that TWICE this year.

So I go and ask my supe about it...and request a PTO exception to an EXCUSED absence. His answer? Absolutely not.

So, multiple unexcused absences can lead to bending a company policy, but having been approved for the time off 4 months ago CANNOT?

Pick this battle or no? Cause needless to say, I'm pissed.

They have to treat you the same as anyone else.

Micjones
How much PTO do you have now?

More time will accrue by Friday. I'll be 4-5 hours shy of 2 days (I think).

oldman
Life isn't fair and absolutely no workplace is fair. You have built your case around 1 other employee. You and I will never know the circumstance for their time off. I am guessing you heard of this at the water cooler. Did you ever think that it might be a personal matter, and even their coworkers don't know and the other supervisor determined for privacy reasons to let them think what they are thinking.

I'm a former manager and I'll second what steve_minor said. What you or your co-workers know about the other employee is just speculation. There may have been illness or personal reasons that warranted exception to the rules for that person. I once had an employee that would go home sick at least once a week and some weeks would call in sick more than once. Only the union steward, myself, HR, and my boss knew this person was undergoing chemo and was working as much as he could rather than going on disabilty.
If you have to take unpaid time from your job to get paid for something you do as a hobby, be grateful your company is allowing you to do so. Most companies I know hire you to be on the job.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Do you know why she's taken so much time off? If not, it's just as judgmental to say she's not responsible with her time. Getting an exception because you haven't been there long enough to accrue the time, knowing that would be the case when you were hired, is different than getting an exception because of legit medical reasons, family issues, etc.

They've all been unexcused callouts. Due to illness.
Problem is, I know her (we're friends) and I know she just doesn't like to come to work.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 11:05 AM
I'm a former manager and I'll second what steve_minor said. What you or your co-workers know about the other employee is just speculation. There may have been illness or personal reasons that warranted exception to the rules for that person. I once had an employee that would go home sick at least once a week and some weeks would call in sick more than once. Only the union steward, myself, HR, and my boss knew this person was undergoing chemo and was working as much as he could rather than going on disabilty.
If you have to take unpaid time from your job to get paid for something you do as a hobby, be grateful your company is allowing you to do so. Most companies I know hire you to be on the job.

It's not speculative. I'm friends with this person.
Her boyfriend is my best friend. I know exactly what happened...every time she was out. Now that inside information may not be germane to the situation at WORK, but for the purposes of this discussion (I'm not talking out of my ass).

Micjones
07-02-2012, 11:06 AM

And another thing, I didn't tell my company why I wanted the time off.
That's my business. It's also not required to have the time approved.

loochy
07-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Here's the thing man...you aren't getting it, so stop whining about it, stop thinking to yourself that you deserve it, and stop thinking that you are getting screwed. If you keep thinking about this you'll drive yourself insane. Just accept the fact that you can't win this one.

DaFace
07-02-2012, 11:23 AM
These are the times that I'm glad I work for a small company. Well, that and that Rain Man doesn't suck.

Bowser
07-02-2012, 11:24 AM
These are the times that I'm glad I work for a small company. Well, that and that Rain Man doesn't suck.

SOMEONE'S TRYING TO GET THURSDAY AND FRIDAY OFF THIS WEEK

threebag
07-02-2012, 11:24 AM
FMLA.

DaFace
07-02-2012, 11:28 AM
SOMEONE'S TRYING TO GET THURSDAY AND FRIDAY OFF THIS WEEK

Someone has today through Thursday off already. :D

Micjones
07-02-2012, 11:29 AM
FMLA.

I'm familiar with the FML part.

qabbaan
07-02-2012, 11:35 AM
If a peer got a break, I don't think it's wrong to point it out and ask for the same, while knowing it was an exception and exceptions can be granted or not purely on discretion.

If they say no, I wouldn't really complain as you have acknowledged that you own mistake created the issue.

SAUTO
07-02-2012, 11:39 AM

live and learn.

This
Posted via Mobile Device

Bearcat
07-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Problem is, I know her (we're friends) and I know she just doesn't like to come to work.

Yeah, that sucks... it's still two different situations from the employer's point of view, since one is related to illness (or "illness") and the other is related to how long you've been there.... but, coming from someone who never misses work due to illness, I'd definitely be annoyed.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Yeah, that sucks... it's still two different situations from the employer's point of view, since one is related to illness (or "illness") and the other is related to how long you've been there.... but, coming from someone who never misses work due to illness, I'd definitely be annoyed.

I'm that guy. I'm here all the time.
And again, my absences next week?
Pre-approved and excused.
Hers are *cough* "I'm not coming in..." *cough*

mikeyis4dcats.
07-02-2012, 11:48 AM

+1

mikeyis4dcats.
07-02-2012, 11:52 AM
PTO is accrued by a set formula. Something doesn't add up. Either YOU misjudged the accrual rate and never were going to have the time needed, or you used the time.

Which is it?

Micjones
07-02-2012, 11:56 AM
PTO is accrued by a set formula. Something doesn't add up. Either YOU misjudged the accrual rate and never were going to have the time needed, or you used the time.

Which is it?

I have used the time I had set aside for the vacay.
I stated that from the outset. I also owned that.

That's not the issue though.
The issue is the company's policy on borrowing future Paid Time Off.
The handbook prohibits it. That's clear cut and has been established by three separate parties (my super, HR and the Payroll department). Yet I now know they've made an exception for another employee. An exception made for same-day callouts. An exception that has been made TWICE this year because there have been so many callouts, this person now has a negative PTO balance (for the 2nd time). My time was pre-approved. I asked for the same exception and was denied...based on the "policy".

Make sense?

Buck
07-02-2012, 12:06 PM

The handbook prohibits it. That's clear cut and has been established by three separate parties (my super, HR and the Payroll department). Yet I now know they've made an exception for another employee. An exception made for same-day callouts. An exception that has been made TWICE this year because there have been so many callouts, this person now has a negative PTO balance (for the 2nd time). My time was pre-approved. I asked for the same exception and was denied...based on the "policy".

Make sense?

That makes sense, but you don't really have a leg to stand on. You shouldn't have used your time if you wanted to get paid for your vacation.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-02-2012, 12:09 PM
That makes sense, but you don't really have a leg to stand on. You shouldn't have used your time if you wanted to get paid for your vacation.

+1. You said This isn't a matter of me using time unwisely.
It's a matter of me not having had much of it to begin with.

If you needed the time for this you DID use the time unwisely if you used it. Now, you may have had no choice (illness, etc), but that is not your employer's fault at all. And even if a coworker has abused that policy, doesn't mean they should allow you. It simply means they should no longer allow the abuse. Since you apparently called her out on it with mgmt, they may stop it. But either way it doesn't change your situation. Complaining about it just makes you a whiner in mgmt's eyes.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 12:17 PM

I'm with you, but that's not where the discussion ends.
Because we can say the same thing about the other person.
If she'd come to work...her balance wouldn't be negative.

Yet they acknowledged the role she played in it TWICE and STILL made an exception TWICE.

You don't see anything wrong with that?

Micjones
07-02-2012, 12:18 PM
+1. You said

If you needed the time for this you DID use the time unwisely if you used it. Now, you may have had no choice (illness, etc), but that is not your employer's fault at all. And even if a coworker has abused that policy, doesn't mean they should allow you. It simply means they should no longer allow the abuse. Since you apparently called her out on it with mgmt, they may stop it. But either way it doesn't change your situation. Complaining about it just makes you a whiner in mgmt's eyes.

You're convinced that I'm wrong here.
I get that. That's the ChiefsPlanet way.
Of superimposing these moralistic ideas into situations that really don't involve any morality.

To pretend you don't see a clear imbalance and double standard here is laughable though.

Red Beans
07-02-2012, 12:20 PM
You're convinced that I'm wrong here.
I get that. That's the ChiefsPlanet way.
Of superimposing these moralistic ideas into situations that really don't involve any morality.

To pretend you don't see a clear imbalance and double standard here is laughable though.

You solicited some opinions...

Micjones
07-02-2012, 12:22 PM
You solicited some opinions...

I did.

But I was hoping they'd be balanced and unbiased.
Alot of them have been. A select few have been finger-wagging platforms that are ignoring the facts of the matter.

Either way...I appreciate them even where I don't agree with them.

Mr. Plow

Make sense?

If it's in the handbook or a company policy, you don't have a leg to stand on unless you want to make a huge deal out of it which could cause problems for you down the road.

Let it go. Move on.

Buck
I'm with you, but that's not where the discussion ends.
Because we can say the same thing about the other person.
If she'd come to work...her balance wouldn't be negative.

Yet they acknowledged the role she played in it TWICE and STILL made an exception TWICE.

You don't see anything wrong with that?

I don't get mixed up in my coworkers personal business. Just worry about you.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 12:23 PM
I don't get mixed up in my coworkers personal business. Just worry about you.

That's a fair point.

morphius
07-02-2012, 12:30 PM
If you are really stuck on her getting an advantage over you, how much was her exception (4 hours, 1 day, 1 week?), how long has she been there?

Micjones
07-02-2012, 12:31 PM
If you are really stuck on her getting an advantage over you, how much was her exception (4 hours, 1 day, 1 week?), how long has she been there?

She's been here 5 years.

And I can't exactly put a number to the number of days, but this person has run out of time twice this year. In just 6 months.
They've probably been out 20-25 days thus far in 2012.
I'll guess she's borrowed a week's worth of time.

Red Beans
07-02-2012, 12:36 PM
I did.

Alot of them have been. A select few have been finger-wagging platforms that are ignoring the facts of the matter.

Balanced and unbiasd on CP? ROFL

Anyway, is there any kind of platform available for employees to address these kind of issues?

Micjones
07-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Balanced and unbiasd on CP? ROFL

I know, I know. Silly me.

Anyway, is there any kind of platform available for employees to address these kind of issues?

Human Resources I suppose, but she tends to lean toward the company.
That was the first person I talked to and she told me that rule was a hard line.

Red Beans
07-02-2012, 12:40 PM
I know, I know. Silly me.

Human Resources I suppose, but she tends to lean toward the company.
That was the first person I talked to and she told me that rule was a hard line.

That's a bummer that HR is a single person and not more of a department. It really sounds like it's not up for debate. If you raise a ruckus about this inequality you're going to look like an insubordinate whiner.

I think you may be fucked on the deal...

Micjones
07-02-2012, 12:44 PM
That's a bummer that HR is a single person and not more of a department. It really sounds like it's not up for debate. If you raise a ruckus about this inequality you're going to look like an insubordinate whiner.

I think you may be ****ed on the deal...

Yeah, I've resigned myself to that fact.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-02-2012, 12:45 PM
I did.

the facts of the matter are policy prohibits it. YOUR BIAS wants to to believe they should correct prior failures by failing again. That's not the way things work.

Think of it this way: You found out that due to an error, a coworker was given a bonus that was undeserved. You're asking them to give you an undeserved bonus as well, instead of merely mgmt correcting the glitch to ensure no undeserved bonuses are awarded in the future. Why would you expect something that wasn't earned?

Valiant
07-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Serious note/ leave it be, you got the days off.

Cp note/ did you let them know you are black and might be jason whitlock?

Micjones
07-02-2012, 01:08 PM
the facts of the matter are policy prohibits it. YOUR BIAS wants to to believe they should correct prior failures by failing again. That's not the way things work.

It's not much of a policy if it isn't being enforced. Or being enforced inconsistently. You'll excuse me for failing to respect the integrity of a policy that's twice been broken. I'm only biased in the sense that it's me we're talking about. If it weren't, I'd feel the same way.

Think of it this way: You found out that due to an error, a coworker was given a bonus that was undeserved. You're asking them to give you an undeserved bonus as well, instead of merely mgmt correcting the glitch to ensure no undeserved bonuses are awarded in the future. Why would you expect something that wasn't earned?

That's a bad analogy.
One most likely involved a technological error.
The other involves human judgment.

There's nothing unreasonable about me having an expectation of equitable treatment. It's actually very human of me to want the standard to be observed with some level of consistency. I'm not asking the company to do the unreasonable (seeing how they've openly done so twice regarding the same employee). Under a lamentable set of conditions. I actually got my time pre-approved. I didn't decide not to show up to work one day and redeem PTO that I didn't have and actually OWED. I have a positive balance.

Lex Luthor
07-02-2012, 01:17 PM
You're her "friend", yet you feel it necessary to keep track of exactly how many PTO days she uses and complain about it to management because you're not getting what you want?

I'm glad you're not my "friend".

You need to let it go dude. Your question was asked and answered multiple times by your boss and your HR rep.

You're in danger of being labelled a whiner and a troublemaker. That is certainly the impression you are giving in this thread.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 01:22 PM
You're her "friend", yet you feel it necessary to keep track of exactly how many PTO days she uses and complain about it to management because you're not getting what you want?

I don't need to know how many PTO days she has to know she's overextended her balance. Nor does it take a rocket scientist to glean from 15-20 callouts since January, that you're probably out of time. I digress...This is actually something that someone else brought to my attention. I knew she was out today, but I had no idea they were allowing her to borrow time until someone else mentioned it to me.

And I made no mention of her AT ALL when I raised the question to Payroll and to my supervisor. That's partly why I've decided not to make a spectacle of her consistently being out of work. I don't want to throw her under the bus. Thanks for playing though.

You're in danger of being labelled a whiner and a troublemaker. That is certainly the impression you are giving in this thread.

I really don't care about being called a "troublemaker" when I have a legitimate issue that needs to be raised.
That will never be the barometer I use to determine whether or not I press a real issue with my company.

Bump
07-02-2012, 01:26 PM
policies can only be upheld if they are followed every time for every employee otherwise this type of stuff happens. The other supervisor should be reprimanded for breaking policy for the other employee and that should be that if you ask me.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 01:28 PM
policies can only be upheld if they are followed every time for every employee otherwise this type of stuff happens. The other supervisor should be reprimanded for breaking policy for the other employee and that should be that if you ask me.

That would be a step in the right direction, but I'm certainly not rooting for any reprimands.

jspchief
07-02-2012, 01:31 PM
I don't need to know how many PTO days she has to know she's overextended her balance. Nor does it take a rocket scientist to glean from 15-20 callouts since January, that you're probably out of time. I digress...This is actually something that someone else brought to my attention. I knew she was out today, but I had no idea they were allowing her to borrow time until someone else mentioned it to me.

And I made no mention of her AT ALL when I raised the question to Payroll and to my supervisor. That's partly why I've decided not to make a spectacle of her consistently being out of work. I don't want to throw her under the bus. Thanks for playing though.

I really don't care about being called a "troublemaker" when I have a legitimate issue that needs to be raised.
That will never be the barometer I use to determine whether or not I press a real issue with my company.

Clearly it doesn't matter what anyone says if it's not the answer you want. So go make a big deal out of it. expect the same treatment as a new employee as a 5 year employee gets. I'm sure it will work out in your favor.

GordonGekko
07-02-2012, 01:33 PM
She's been here 5 years.

And I can't exactly put a number to the number of days, but this person has run out of time twice this year. In just 6 months.

Women 95% of the time get preferential treatment (the extent to which could be a little to a stupidly rediculous amount, depends on the manager), but this is just sh*t we have to deal with.

GordonGekko
07-02-2012, 01:35 PM

The problem is 'proving' that it definitively happened, I don't second guess that it didn't I'm just saying. In proving it potentially a great amount of shit might get stirred.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Clearly it doesn't matter what anyone says if it's not the answer you want. So go make a big deal out of it. expect the same treatment as a new employee as a 5 year employee gets. I'm sure it will work out in your favor.

Yes, I'm so self-deluded and only interested in my own opinions...
That I took time out of my day to walk this down with Planeteers.
Instead of processing all of the intimate details, I already had, by my lonesome.

:rolleyes:

Micjones
07-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Women 95% of the time get preferential treatment (the extent to which could be a little to a stupidly rediculous amount, depends on the manager), but this is just sh*t we have to deal with.

Eh...I've seen women here get the short end of the stick.

GordonGekko
07-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Yes, I'm so self-deluded and only interested in my own opinions...
That I took time out of my day to walk this down with Planeteers.
Instead of processing all of the intimate details, I already had, by my lonesome.

:rolleyes:

By the way my opinion is let this one go.

Don't make this your Alamo.

GordonGekko
07-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Eh...I've seen women here get the short end of the stick.

That's be the 5%.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 01:38 PM
The problem is 'proving' that it definitively happened, I don't second guess that it didn't I'm just saying. In proving it potentially a great amount of shit might get stirred.

/thread

Easily the best point made thus far.
"It's not what you know, it's what you can prove."

Rep.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 01:38 PM
That's be the 5%.

ROFL

oldman
07-02-2012, 01:40 PM
So I'm still wondering what the real issue is here. Are you upset because you're not getting paid? If you can draw between 8-10 days (I've lost count of what you've said you have TODAY) of paid time in only 8 months, I'd be happy to be working for a company like that.
If you make an issue of it, a couple things are going to happen. First, you will be labeled a troublemaker and that's the last thing you want to do today. Sounds like you don't have a union, so they can can you at 4PM today, just because they didn't like your shirt. Second, you call this other person a friend. I doubt if you call her out to upper management you'll be her friend for long.
I'd just eat the frustration and plan better next year.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 01:45 PM
So I'm still wondering what the real issue is here. Are you upset because you're not getting paid? If you can draw between 8-10 days (I've lost count of what you've said you have TODAY) of paid time in only 8 months, I'd be happy to be working for a company like that.
If you make an issue of it, a couple things are going to happen. First, you will be labeled a troublemaker and that's the last thing you want to do today. Sounds like you don't have a union, so they can can you at 4PM today, just because they didn't like your shirt. Second, you call this other person a friend. I doubt if you call her out to upper management you'll be her friend for long.
I'd just eat the frustration and plan better next year.

I'm mostly over it after having been upset about it most of the day.
And after having gotten several well thought out opinions from friends and from Planeteers.

Initially though, I was upset that a policy exception was being made for someone else for unexcused absences, but not for my excused absence.

I was never going to throw her under the bus.
I never even mentioned her name when I inquired this morning.

The Franchise
07-02-2012, 01:45 PM
I would almost guarantee you that if she's been doing that much calling in.....that it's being tracked by the company and she won't be doing it for that much longer.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 01:47 PM
I would almost guarantee you that if she's been doing that much calling in.....that it's being tracked by the company and she won't be doing it for that much longer.

Accountability is the one thing my company is sorely lacking.
Calling out of work is just what people do here.
A select few people are ever reprimanded for it.

The Franchise
07-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Sounds like a shitty fucking company.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Sounds like a shitty ****ing company.

It's a good company. We're very young.
The company grew very quickly so some people were fast-tracked into management roles. Alot of the company's policy was created on the fly.

And some of the people promoted simply aren't qualified for those positions.

We're only now beginning to really establish an actual foundation for accountability. The company was recently bought out.
We're starting to see things done by the book more and more everyday.

Lex Luthor
07-02-2012, 01:55 PM
If an employee of mine spent this much time complaining that he didn't get to violate company policy, this is the most likely result.

http://nuckingfutsmama.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/donald-trump-youre-fired.jpg

DeezNutz
07-02-2012, 01:56 PM
At work today?

Lex Luthor
07-02-2012, 01:57 PM
At work today?
Yeah, it looks like he's been pretty productive today.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 01:58 PM
If an employee of mine spent this much time complaining that he didn't get to violate company policy, this is the most likely result.

http://nuckingfutsmama.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/donald-trump-youre-fired.jpg

I guess it's a good thing that I'm not an employee of yours?

Micjones
07-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Yeah, it looks like he's been pretty productive today.

Because God forbid the possibility that I could be productive while making 30-40 posts over the last 8 hours?

What machine did you come out of?

Mr. Flopnuts
07-02-2012, 02:00 PM
She's been here 5 years.

I don't understand why they'd do this unless she was salaried. If she was a salaried employee then I could see them sticking it to her by taking future PTO away. The question is, what do they do when she misses even more time?

Chiefaholic
07-02-2012, 02:01 PM
You're fighting a war you'll never win, Mic. I see the same crap happen at my place of employment, but there's not a damn thing you can do about it if you value your future employment with your company. Some people get the rules bent for them, and other don't... That's just the way it is.

oldman
07-02-2012, 02:03 PM
A lot of young companies get bought out by more established companies and then things change. If your friend has called in the 20-25 days you say she has, the new management will soon have a "Come to Jesus" meeting with her and it'll be a non-issue in the future.

DeezNutz
07-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Because God forbid the possibility that I could be productive while making 30-40 posts over the last 8 hours?

What machine did you come out of?

My point is that you might want to be careful about posting via a company's network connection.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 02:05 PM
I don't understand why they'd do this unless she was salaried. If she was a salaried employee then I could see them sticking it to her by taking future PTO away. The question is, what do they do when she misses even more time?

She's not salaried.
And your guess is as good as mine.

I don't want to see her lose her job.
That's partly why we implore her not to callout everytime she has a sniffle.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 02:06 PM
You're fighting a war you'll never win, Mic. I see the same crap happen at my place of employment, but there's not a damn thing you can do about it if you value your future employment with your company. Some people get the rules bent for them, and other don't... That's just the way it is.

Yeah, I wrapped my head around that about 2 hours ago.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 02:07 PM
A lot of young companies get bought out by more established companies and then things change. If your friend has called in the 20-25 days you say she has, the new management will soon have a "Come to Jesus" meeting with her and it'll be a non-issue in the future.

I hope you're right. Not necessarily for her, but because attendance is also an issue in my department.

Mr. Flopnuts
She's not salaried.

Man. Implore her all you want, my experience is that when bad behavior is rewarded, it's usually doubled down upon. Best of luck to her, and you both.

Glad you came to your senses on this. It's not a war worth fighting. Save your bullets for when you REALLY need them.

The Franchise
She's not salaried.

It reminds me of one of my first jobs after I turned 18. It was the first job where I was actually given "sick time" to use. I burned through that shit in about 3 months.....calling in sick whenever I had partied the night before. I got called into my supervisor's office and they told me that if I called in sick in the next 2 weeks....I would get fired. Figures.....2 days later.....I get so sick that I can't get out of bed. I called in and my supervisor said everything was ok. Went in the next day.....fired at 4:59 PM.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 02:10 PM
My point is that you might want to be careful about posting via a company's network connection.

Good point. I appreciate that.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Man. Implore her all you want, my experience is that when bad behavior is rewarded, it's usually doubled down upon. Best of luck to her, and you both.

Glad you came to your senses on this. It's not a war worth fighting. Save your bullets for when you REALLY need them.

I know what to expect anytime I solicit the advice of ChiefsPlanet.
Alot of unfair and unbalanced bullshit.
If you stick around long enough though...You'll get 10 useful opinions.
Most of all you'll be challenged into rethinking your own positions.

I got what I came for and I feel a little better now.
I appreciate that.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-02-2012, 02:16 PM

I appreciate that.

Yeah, very rarely do you not have to sift through a bunch of uppity bullshit. You know what they say though, you have to dig through a lot of shit to find that pony!

Lex Luthor
07-02-2012, 02:18 PM
I guess it's a good thing that I'm not an employee of yours?
You never know, but I think there's a chance we would not get along very well.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as judgmental, but you did ask for opinions, and I'm just being honest.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 02:21 PM
You never know, but I think there's a chance we would not get along very well.

The fact that we don't see eye-to-eye on this issue isn't much indication.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as judgmental, but you did ask for opinions, and I'm just being honest.

I'm pulling up on 14,000 posts. Trust me, I knew what I was getting into.
N00b!
ROFL

Micjones
07-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Yeah, very rarely do you not have to sift through a bunch of uppity bullshit. You know what they say though, you have to dig through a lot of shit to find that pony!

Truth.

Rep.

vailpass
07-02-2012, 02:24 PM
If there are any kids reading: this is why you want to study hard, work hard, and be your own boss.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 02:27 PM
If there are any kids reading: this is why you want to study hard, work hard, and be your own boss.

Or... Be a blonde White woman.
:thumb:

Lex Luthor
07-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Finally we get to the real reason why she got better treatment. Is she hot?

Mr. Plow
07-02-2012, 02:32 PM

I appreciate that.

I'm sure there was a lot of bullshit in here, but really you had to of known the correct answer before you even posted this thread. You basically came in looking for a reason to fight with your bosses about something that is clearly an office policy. The only argument that you had was "Well, they let X employee do it."

Like a lot of us said, you could probably press your luck and you might be able to fight long enough to get what you are want, but it's going to permanently taint your image with your bosses.

vailpass
07-02-2012, 02:32 PM

Sounds like she has to ask someone else what she can do with her time too.

vailpass
07-02-2012, 02:34 PM
I'm sure there was a lot of bullshit in here, but really you had to of known the correct answer before you even posted this thread. You basically came in looking for a reason to fight with your bosses about something that is clearly an office policy. The only argument that you had was "Well, they let X employee do it."

Like a lot of us said, you could probably press your luck and you might be able to fight long enough to get what you are want, but it's going to permanently taint your image with your bosses.

At which point they begin to plan to manage you out.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 02:39 PM

Yeah.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 02:42 PM

So that I'm clear...
I knew I had no leg to stand on, knew Planeteers wouldn't side with me, but decided to go through the trouble anyway to obtain an answer that was never going to come?

And...
Inconsistent enforcement of a policy is not a legitimate reason?

Bang up job you did there, chief.

Micjones
07-02-2012, 02:44 PM
At which point they begin to plan to manage you out.

I can live with losing a job because I raised a real issue and got blacklisted because of it.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-02-2012, 02:44 PM

might as wwell save your breath....he is blind to his own bias and opinion. Never mind that many experienced people told him the reality of the situation...

Micjones
07-02-2012, 02:59 PM
might as wwell save your breath....he is blind to his own bias and opinion. Never mind that many experienced people told him the reality of the situation...

You have trouble enough making coherent posts of your own.
I think I'll be responsible for what I can understand.
Thanks though.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-02-2012, 03:03 PM
You have trouble enough making coherent posts of your own.
I think I'll be responsible for what I can understand.
Thanks though.

You're welcome. Go cry a little more about the man keeping you down...

vailpass
07-02-2012, 03:08 PM
I can live with losing a job because I raised a real issue and got blacklisted because of it.

I'm not saying or wishing you would lose your job. Please don't think I was.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-02-2012, 03:12 PM
25 days in 6 months? JFC She should have been talked to and if it continued terminated long ago. What kind of place allows that to happen?

Mr. Plow
07-02-2012, 03:50 PM
I guess since you're not taking any of the logical advice, I'll just tell you what you want to hear.

Yes, you deserve to get to borrow the time from future earned time off because someone white chick got to do it. If they don't allow it, you should contact the state and file a formal complaint against the business.

oldman
07-02-2012, 04:09 PM

I'd reconsider that kind of statement. True enough it's the right thing to do, but in today's work environment, the last thing you want is to be labelled "not a team player". While that might be OK today, when you are responsible for the mortgage and mouths to feed, you don't want that kind of rep to be following you. Most employers do check work history and that tag is a giant thumbs down.

TimeForWasp
07-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Go in and insist you get what you want, and while you are at it , ask for a raise.

hometeam
07-02-2012, 04:36 PM
The squeeky wheel gets the most grease~

qabbaan
07-02-2012, 04:43 PM
The squeeky wheel gets the most grease~

Or sometimes, gets replaced
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
07-02-2012, 04:51 PM
This thread should not have been 5 pages.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock
07-02-2012, 04:53 PM

Something tells me that ship sailed a while ago.

BillSelfsTrophycase
07-02-2012, 05:18 PM
25 days in 6 months? JFC She should have been talked to and if it continued terminated long ago. What kind of place allows that to happen?

Yeah.

Lex Luthor
07-04-2012, 09:29 AM
It's time somebody said it: This thread is worthless without pictures.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-04-2012, 09:31 AM

So, she got a talkin to alright. Probably 25 times as well. :p