PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink New Oklahoma Joe's Location?

gblowfish
07-02-2012, 12:53 PM
According to the KC Pitch, today is opening day for Oklahoma Joe's location #3 at 11723 Roe in Leawood, in an old TGI Friday's building.

So now three spots to get a Z-Man..... oh YEAH!

DeezNutz
07-02-2012, 12:54 PM
It's now a chain. **** 'em--they suck. /CP

DaFace
07-02-2012, 12:54 PM
And when will they open one in Denver? :sulk:

tooge
07-02-2012, 12:56 PM
I just want them to open one up north. JFC, the johnson co folk cant drive 15 minutes that they need three down there?

Reaper16
07-02-2012, 01:00 PM
I've been hearing word over the last few months that the quality has started to dip, that they're beginning to rest on their bevy of laurels. I haven't been to OK Joes since July 5th of last year, so I can't confirm.

gblowfish
07-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Today on the Pitch website it says opening has been delayed till Thursday 7/5. They first reported it would open today.
http://www.pitch.com/fatcity/archives/2012/07/02/oklahoma-joes-opens-on-thursday-in-leawood
All OK Joe's are closed on Sundays, which I'm sure Gates LOVES.

Al Bundy
07-02-2012, 01:14 PM
I've been hearing word over the last few months that the quality has started to dip, that they're beginning to rest on their bevy of laurels. I haven't been to OK Joes since July 5th of last year, so I can't confirm.

You've been hearing wrong. I had it 2 weeks ago, it was just as good as it has been since I started eating there 7 years ago.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-02-2012, 01:15 PM

I went to the original location a couple of weeks ago and I was converted. I wasn't a fan after I went to Lenexa, but my wife and I both loved it, and my wife isn't much of a Q fan. Z man was money, and the pulled pork was her favorite she's ever had.

We even bought a bottle of sauce and made some ribs with it last night. Fucking excellent. If it used to be better, wow!

Mr. Flopnuts
07-02-2012, 01:16 PM
I'll tell you what I did have that sucked balls, was smokehouse BBQ in OP. :Lin:

gblowfish
07-02-2012, 01:18 PM
I think some of OK Joe's stuff is fantastic, other things are done better by other BBQ joints in town. Their meats are usually very good, especially pork. Their fries have too much seasoned salt on them. Beans are OK, other places much better. But overall, they make a good product. The store in Olathe is very nice. It's clean, big, comfy, nice.

SAUTO
07-02-2012, 01:19 PM
I'll tell you what I did have that sucked balls, was smokehouse BBQ in OP. :Lin:

what the hell were you thinking?
Posted via Mobile Device

mikeyis4dcats.
07-02-2012, 01:19 PM
wish they weren't closed Sunday...seems like most of the time I'm in KC it's on Sunday.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-02-2012, 01:21 PM
what the hell were you thinking?
Posted via Mobile Device

Somebody gave me some bad information. I would've never gone there without recommendation.

Kyle DeLexus
07-02-2012, 01:23 PM
I think some of OK Joe's stuff is fantastic, other things are done better by other BBQ joints in town. Their meats are usually very good, especially pork. Their fries have too much seasoned salt on them. Beans are OK, other places much better. But overall, they make a good product. The store in Olathe is very nice. It's clean, big, comfy, nice.

The fries have too much seasoning? That seasoning is like crack...the more the better. For fries and meat it's hard to top OK Joe's. It's been my favorite BBQ joint since I moved up here.

Saulbadguy
07-02-2012, 01:25 PM
WHITE PEOPLE

bevischief
07-02-2012, 01:26 PM

That is some bad stuff.

SAUTO
07-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Somebody gave me some bad information. I would've never gone there without recommendation.

I'd slap that motherfucker next time I saw them
Posted via Mobile Device

Fish
07-02-2012, 01:36 PM

Fries have too much seasoning? Whatchu talkin bout Willis?

When I'm done with my fries, I like to stick a straw in the soggy bag and snort that shit at the bottom like a coke fiend. I could make a meal out of their fries...

mr. tegu
07-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Welp, I guess I am eating OK Joes tonight.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-02-2012, 01:39 PM
I'd slap that motherfucker next time I saw them
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm going to get him drunk and teabag him when he passes out.

SAUTO
07-02-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm going to get him drunk and teabag him when he passes out.

Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Ceej
07-02-2012, 01:42 PM
I've had OK Joe's once.

It's my second favorite BBQ place in the KC area; behind Woodyard's.

Munson
07-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Love their pulled pork and Z-man sandwiches.

The fries (with a bunch of seasoning) are damn good.

Their ribs are terrible, IMO.

Caseyguyrr
07-02-2012, 01:55 PM
I just want them to open one up north. JFC, the johnson co folk cant drive 15 minutes that they need three down there?

no fucking shit

Fish
07-02-2012, 01:56 PM

Just like a Northie.... move 45 minutes north of town, then complain about everything being 45 minutes away... :D

Mr. Flopnuts
07-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm also going to get it on video proclaiming "Flopnuts sweet tea is as good as Smokehouse BBQ!"

Reaper16
07-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Just like a Northie.... move 45 minutes north of town, then complain about everything being 45 minutes away... :D

During OK Joe's golden age, before their first downward swing in quality 2 years ago (when the burnt ends declined in quality and when they switched their rib cut from spareribs to the uniform-every-time St. Louis cut ribs), I would travel from the Northland to OK Joes, on average, once every 1.5 weeks. I never complained about the distance.

tooge
07-02-2012, 02:00 PM
they are closed on sundays because we should all be Qing our own food on sundays

Reaper16
07-02-2012, 02:01 PM
they are closed on sundays because we should all be Qing our own food on sundays

I am distrustful of any BBQ joint that is open on Sundays.

dilligaf
07-02-2012, 02:10 PM
I ate at the Olathe locations few years back and loved it. I would eat the once a week if there was one close to me!:thumb:

gblowfish
07-02-2012, 02:12 PM
I've had OK Joe's once.

Woodyard's funky factor is off the chart. That is a true BBQ shack. Very tasty stuff. Their smoked chicken is wonderful. It's the closest thing to what Stephenson's in Independence used to serve up before they got bulldozed for a Quik-Trip. Now THAT is a crime against humanity!

If you don't know Woodyard, check it out here:
http://www.woodyardbbq.com/

Ceej
07-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Woodyard's funky factor is off the chart. That is a true BBQ shack. Very tasty stuff. Their smoked chicken is wonderful. It's the closest thing to what Stephenson's in Independence used to serve up before they got bulldozed for a Quik-Trip. Now THAT is a crime against humanity!

If you don't know Woodyard, check it out here:
http://www.woodyardbbq.com/

I've helped at the Lumber Liquidators up there. Woodyards is like one mile from the store. I got the sampler.

I'm not a HUGE ribs guy -- but theirs were really good. Their chicken was fantastic too.

I also love the venue, as low-key as it is.

Kyle DeLexus
07-02-2012, 02:20 PM

You all got Longboards. I haven't had that stuff in a long time, but it was one of my favorite lunch spots during my internship. The last time I went, I got three wraps (lunch all week ftw) since I never go up to that area.

Reaper16
07-02-2012, 02:21 PM
You all got Longboards. I haven't had that stuff in a long time, but it was one of my favorite lunch spots during my internship. The last time I went, I got three wraps (lunch all week ftw) since I never go up to that area.

Longboards just opened up a 2nd location too, in Liberty.

blaise
07-02-2012, 02:25 PM
The only thing I ever order is the Carolina style pulled pork, and the last time I had it it was as good as always.
There's an Oklahoma Joe's in Tulsa that advertises on a radio station I listen to, but someone here told me they're not affiliated. Said some guy that used to be part of Oklahoma Joe's in KC moved down to Tulsa and opened it, but it's not technically another location.

Kyle DeLexus
07-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Longboards just opened up a 2nd location too, in Liberty.

Yeah I heard about that. They should have opened it up down in the Overland Park area though.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-02-2012, 02:28 PM
The only thing I ever order is the Carolina style pulled pork, and the last time I had it it was as good as always.
There's an Oklahoma Joe's in Tulsa that advertises on a radio station I listen to, but someone here told me they're not affiliated. Said some guy that used to be part of Oklahoma Joe's in KC moved down to Tulsa and opened it, but it's not technically another location.

OKJ started in Oklahoma. The original owner sold the business, and the Oklahoma location closed years ago. If it's open again, it's fairly recent.

Reaper16
07-02-2012, 02:31 PM

Here's the connection:

Jeff Stehney (sp), competition barbecue legend, wanted to open up a BBQ joint in this gas station on 47th and Mission. He wanted to name it Oklahoma Joe's, in tribute to the Oklahoma Joe brand of smokers, of which Jeff first started barbecuing on. So he went into business with the owner of the Oklahoma Joe smoker company to make the name happen. Jeff opened up the OK Joe's we all know and love, while the owner of the smoker company opened up his own branch with his own recipes (but the same sauce, I think) in Oklahoma. That place in OK closed within a year. But he's since opened up a new place in Tulsa.

They're only affiliated contractually.

blaise
07-02-2012, 02:31 PM
OKJ started in Oklahoma. The original owner sold the business, and the Oklahoma location closed years ago. If it's open again, it's fairly recent.

I'd say the Tulsa one has been advertising for at least 3 months.
I just looked at their website, and it's pretty much like Ok Joe's KC.

Edit-Nevermind, I see Reaper's post.

stevieray
07-02-2012, 02:48 PM
I've had OK Joe's once.

gblowfish
07-02-2012, 02:51 PM

The original original was in Stillwater.

Ceej
07-02-2012, 03:19 PM

What is this?

I'm on my phone and the picture is tiny, even after I opened it.

Reaper16
07-02-2012, 03:21 PM

Nice work, stevie! That must be fairly recent.

oldman
07-02-2012, 04:12 PM

Well, they ARE from Johnson County. :evil:

Superbowltrashcan
07-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Fries have too much seasoning? Whatchu talkin bout Willis?

When I'm done with my fries, I like to stick a straw in the soggy bag and snort that shit at the bottom like a coke fiend. I could make a meal out of their fries...

The wife and me are vegan ( stop before you start) and we live in Olathe. I can confirm you can make a meal out of the fries, and a side salad, and a cold draft....:thumb:

Pasta Little Brioni
07-02-2012, 04:27 PM
This is OKLAHOMA Joe's

Fish
07-02-2012, 04:35 PM
The wife and me are vegan ( stop before you start) and we live in Olathe. I can confirm you can make a meal out of the fries, and a side salad, and a cold draft....:thumb:

Sorry, I can't help it...

When somebody starts a sentence with "The wife and I ______.", it usually indicates that she made the decision for both parties. I hope that horrible decision was at least your own. Man's greatest evolutionary step was taken when cave men switched from a vegetarian diet to one including meat. That's what caused our brains to grow larger than the other primates.

Going to OK Joe's, and not being able to eat any meat... that's like worse than the Holocaust...

Sorry bud... no offense... :D

Kyle DeLexus
07-02-2012, 05:07 PM

When somebody starts a sentence with "The wife and I ______.", it usually indicates that she made the decision for both parties. I hope that horrible decision was at least your own. Man's greatest evolutionary step was taken when cave men switched from a vegetarian diet to one including meat. That's what caused our brains to grow larger than the other primates.

Going to OK Joe's, and not being able to eat any meat... that's like worse than the Holocaust...

This is true. I couldn't imagine going in there smelling all it has to offer and then just eating sides.

blaise
07-02-2012, 05:09 PM
If I were a vegan and went into Oklahoma Joes I wouldn't be a vegan for that half hour.

Ceej
07-02-2012, 05:15 PM
If I were a vegan and went into Oklahoma Joes I wouldn't be a vegan for that half hour.

If I were a vegan I would be hanging from a noose.

boogblaster
07-02-2012, 05:17 PM

yup .. nose-ring on a short lead .. lol .. poor sob ...

BigMeatballDave
07-02-2012, 05:43 PM

I didnt know it was possible to be vegan and live in the BBQ Mecca.

Valiant
07-02-2012, 06:24 PM
And when will they open one in Denver? :sulk:

Said this should be the last one opening up per thepitch article.. Does not want it really going franchise, or he will not be the one to push it..

Valiant
07-02-2012, 06:28 PM

BigBear BBQ in the same stripmall of sidepockets off of 169 is the best in the Northland.. Their pulled pork was amazing, and they have specials of full rack for 15bucks, it was not to shabby..

Pants
07-02-2012, 06:41 PM
I ate at the Olathe locations few years back and loved it. I would eat the once a week if there was one close to me!:thumb:

I eat OK Joe's every Tuesday.

Me and the woman get a pulled pork jumbo, an order of fries and a side of beans and that's enough to make us full to the brim when we are done.

There is not a better way to spend $15 in the goddamned world.

RockChalk
07-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Last visit was about a month ago. Took my gf for her first visit. On the ride home, she asked "when can we go back again?"

I am loyal to the z-man, but sometimes I order it with chicken rather than brisket. It's a nice changeup

Reaper16
07-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Last visit was about a month ago. Took my gf for her first visit. On the ride home, she asked "when can we go back again?"

I am loyal to the z-man, but sometimes I order it with chicken rather than brisket. It's a nice changeup

My buddies and I used to order off-menu at OK Joe's all the time. They have the Z-Man and chicken breast Z-Man on the menu, but you can order a turkey Z-Man or pork Z-Man or sausage Z-Man or etc. Also: brisket heaven, turkey heaven, etc.

mr. tegu
07-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Just got done eating there because of this thread :) got the z-man and fries. Delicious!

Titty Meat
07-02-2012, 07:39 PM
My buddies and I used to order off-menu at OK Joe's all the time. They have the Z-Man and chicken breast Z-Man on the menu, but you can order a turkey Z-Man or pork Z-Man or sausage Z-Man or etc. Also: brisket heaven, turkey heaven, etc.

If you want to experience true KC bbq go to Arthur Bryants on 18th and Brooklyn.

SAUTO
07-02-2012, 07:49 PM
If you want to experience true KC bbq go to Arthur Bryants on 18th and Brooklyn.

Back in the day lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

ArrowheadHawk
07-02-2012, 07:58 PM
I do IT work for them and its almost painfull to smell the BBQ the whole time I am working. It smells so wonderfull. The new location doesn't smell, not yet anyway.

Reaper16
07-02-2012, 07:59 PM

You're telling me like I don't fucking know everything there is to know about Kansas City barbecue.

Dave Lane
07-03-2012, 07:02 AM
I'll have to try this one much closer to me.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-03-2012, 07:06 AM

Yep, that is such fail on his part. That is one whipped bastard.

Saulbadguy
07-03-2012, 07:08 AM
Not a fan of the "z-man", don't like all that garbage on a BBQ sandwich.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-03-2012, 07:09 AM
What's on it?

Predarat
07-03-2012, 07:10 AM
Trading away a TGI Fridays for Oklahoma Joes???? That is like the best trade in the history of the universe. I want a trade like that to happen in the Nashville area.

Saulbadguy
07-03-2012, 07:17 AM
What's on it?

garbage

RockChalk
07-03-2012, 07:34 AM
What's on it?

Traditional is brisket, sauce, provolone and two onion rings

Pasta Little Brioni
07-03-2012, 07:36 AM
Traditional is brisket, sauce, provolone and two onion rings

Thanks

Fish
07-03-2012, 07:45 AM
Not a fan of the "z-man", don't like all that garbage on a BBQ sandwich.

Cheese and an onion ring is garbage? LOL... OK....

Molitoth
07-03-2012, 08:42 AM

ummmm the smokehouse in Zona Rosa is effing amazing. The burnt ends "super crispy" is anyway.

Dunno what you had...

cookster50
07-03-2012, 08:44 AM

Hmm, just that location? I like the super crispy when I go to the one in Independence.

Dave Lane
07-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Anyone eat at the new one yet?

Kyle DeLexus
07-03-2012, 05:05 PM
ummmm the smokehouse in Zona Rosa is effing amazing. The burnt ends "super crispy" is anyway.

Dunno what you had...

Hmm, just that location? I like the super crispy when I go to the one in Independence.

So I take it one of you will be getting teabagged by flopnuts