PDA

View Full Version : Life My eyes are getting better... optometrist suggested possibility of diabetes

pr_capone
07-02-2012, 07:06 PM
So I go to get some new glasses and at the end of the "which is better 1 or 2" routine, the optometrist tells me that my eyesight has improved dramatically. My script, from the same doc and same place, 2 years ago was 1.75 on both eyes. As of today it is .5 on one eye and .25 on the other.

The guy quite literally scratched his head in befuddlement and asked me if anything had changed recently. He then suggests that Diabetes can cause a drastic change in a persons eyesight and tells me I should get checked out.
He goes on to do the light test and tells me that he does not see the spots or dark veins typically associated with diabetes.

I immediately go over to walgreens and pick up one of their blood glucose checker thingies and have checked at random points during the day and at my highest I have had a 93mg/dL level and that was about 2 hours after I ate. It was 79mg/DL after not eating for about 6 hours.

Has anyone else had their eyes get better over time? Seemed strange to him and I both.

/tl;dr - eyes are getting better, optometrist thought it might be diabetes, it isn't.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-02-2012, 07:09 PM
I tend to see better with the use of corrective lenses.

/tl;dr I see better with help

cdcox
07-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Banning giant sodas saved 1 life already.

ClevelandBronco
07-02-2012, 07:16 PM
/tl;dr - eyes are getting better, optometrist thought it might be diabetes, it isn't.

If the "optometrist" thought that diabetes was the reason your eyes were getting better, you might want to look for another optometrist. Or another dog. I think yours led you into a taco stand or something.

Renegade
07-02-2012, 07:16 PM
My wife just had her eyes checked, and she is in the same situation as you. Her eyes were noticeably better. The doctor told her that just happens over time. I found it strange as well.

pr_capone
07-02-2012, 07:24 PM
If the "optometrist" thought that diabetes was the reason your eyes were getting better, you might want to look for another optometrist. Or another dog. I think yours led you into a taco stand or something.

I don't know why you have it in quotes... dude had degrees both from Mizzou and KU hanging on his wall. His office is even next to an eyeglass world and everything.

threebag
07-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Bump can see better once the smoke clears.

JD10367
07-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Are you farsighted?

Nearsighted eyes are longer than usual, causing light to come to a focus in front of the retina instead of on it. Farsighted eyes are shorter than usual, causing light to come to a focus behind the eye's retina instead of on it. If you're farsighted, as you age, your head actually starts to shrink a little, improving your vision.

pr_capone
07-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Are you farsighted?

Nearsighted eyes are longer than usual, causing light to come to a focus in front of the retina instead of on it. Farsighted eyes are shorter than usual, causing light to come to a focus behind the eye's retina instead of on it. If you're farsighted, as you age, your head actually starts to shrink a little, improving your vision.

Nearsighted

Bump
07-02-2012, 07:39 PM
have you recently discovered the power of marijuana? I have no idea if that could possibly help eyesight, but it has been known to help with other eye related issues.

pr_capone
07-02-2012, 07:40 PM
have you recently discovered the power of marijuana? I have no idea if that could possibly help eyesight, but it has been known to help with other eye related issues.

recently? no

Rain Man
07-02-2012, 09:05 PM
I saw this in a movie once. Put 500 pounds on some barbells and see if you can bench press it. If that works, get someone to shoot at you from point-blank range.

Ace Gunner
07-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Did you quit drinking?

rico
07-02-2012, 09:13 PM
So I go to get some new glasses and at the end of the "which is better 1 or 2" routine, the optometrist tells me that my eyesight has improved dramatically. My script, from the same doc and same place, 2 years ago was 1.75 on both eyes. As of today it is .5 on one eye and .25 on the other.

The guy quite literally scratched his head in befuddlement and asked me if anything had changed recently. He then suggests that Diabetes can cause a drastic change in a persons eyesight and tells me I should get checked out.
He goes on to do the light test and tells me that he does not see the spots or dark veins typically associated with diabetes.

I immediately go over to walgreens and pick up one of their blood glucose checker thingies and have checked at random points during the day and at my highest I have had a 93mg/dL level and that was about 2 hours after I ate. It was 79mg/DL after not eating for about 6 hours.

Has anyone else had their eyes get better over time? Seemed strange to him and I both.

My fiancee's eyes have gotten better over the years. She used to have to wear glasses or contacts, but now she has perfect vision.

mlyonsd
07-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Maybe your head is growing at a large rate and squeezing your eyes. Have you noticed your hats seeming to get smaller? Sore neck? Do you look like a bobble head in the mirror?

WhiteWhale
07-02-2012, 09:17 PM

When I was growing up, but not as an adult.

I had terrible vision as a kid as I was far sighted and had astigatism.

When I was 14 I started complaining about my glasses and not wearing them and my mother bitched and bitched. I told her they gave me a headache and she said I got headaches because I wasn't wearing them... though that actually didn't make an sense as I got them WHILE wearing them only.

So I got checked out and the eye doc said I was only slightly far sighted in my left eye. I stopped wearing glasses because I could see fine. I couldn't see the lowest line on my drivers eye test with my left eye, but I only had to read the 2nd lowest line to pass.

Last 2 times I took that eye test for driving I could read the bottom line with both eyes. I still assume all of these problems will resurface as I age, but yeah... my eyes totally fixed themselves.

I don't think the astigmatism fixed itself. I don't think I ever had it. What they describe (part of the vision being cut out) never really happened. The doc insisted but I could never figure out what the hell he was talking about. I never had the problems he described. I just couldn't see shit close to my face. I had to sit in the back of class to see and reading books gave me really bad headaches from trying to focus.

Gadzooks
07-02-2012, 09:20 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6WpsvRe4yZg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mnchiefsguy
07-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Given what your blood glucose readings were, I would say you do not appear to be diabetic. A better test to get done would be your A1c, which measures what your blood glucose has been over the last couple of months. You can get that test done at your doctor's office, or they make a test that you can do at home and send in (I think it costs about 30 bucks though). You will get quicker, more accurate results from your doctors office.

I am a type 2 diabetic myself, and if my blood sugar was at 93 a couple of hours after eating, I would be doing a happy dance and giving everybody a high five.

Phobia
07-03-2012, 12:12 AM
My eyesight is incredible. Always has been. Both parents and my younger siblings have corrective lenses. I don't understand it. Maybe the mailman had great eyesight.

bevischief
07-03-2012, 06:38 AM
Have you changed your diet?