PDA

View Full Version : Life Swell,... Do the right thing,...Get fired for it!

Frankie
07-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Florida Lifeguard Fired for Trying to Save Drowning Man Outside of His Zone

A Florida lifeguard has been booted from his lifeguard chair for running to save a man who was floundering in the surf.

Tomas Lopez , 21, was fired by his supervisor for vacating his lifeguarding zone to save a man drowning in an unprotected area of the beach in Hallandale Beach, Fla., on Monday, reports the Sun Sentinel.

Lopez' employer is not paid to patrol the zone where the man had been in trouble.

According to the Sun Sentinel, Lopez was approached by a beachgoer who pointed out a man struggling in the water nearly 1,500 feet south of his post.

Instinctively, he ran down the beach to save him. By the time Lopez got to him, he had been pulled to shore by fellow beachgoers.

Following his rescue attempt, Lopez was let go for leaving the area he was supposed to be covering.

Jeff Ellis and Associates, a private aquatic safety contractor, is hired by the city to patrol the beaches. The company is also in charge of hiring and training the city's lifeguards.

Susan Ellis, spokeswoman for Jeff Ellis and Associates, told the Sun Sentinel that Lopez broke company rules when he left his zone, and cited "liability issues" that may have occurred as a result of Lopez leaving his designated area.

Ellis could not be reached for further comment.

Some of Lopez's friends rallied for him on his Facebook page where he had posted the Sun Sentinel's article.

"thats messed up but im proud of you for standing up like that and doing whats right. Tomas Lopez = Hero!!" one commenter wrote.

Tom Gill, spokesman for the United States Lifesaving Association, said Lopez's firing came across as a little harsh.

"It seems unfortunate that a guard would do what he's trained to do and be fired for it," he said.

Gill said that the boundaries set by Jeff Ellis and Associates were most likely set by the city of Hallandale Beach in a private contract.

"Usually when the municipalities hire someone to [lifeguard], those organizations are not only taking on the responsibility of the job, but a lot of the liability," he said.

USLA is recognized as the authority on open water lifesaving by the Red Cross, and certifies agencies and associations around the country based on their training.

Gill said Jeff Ellis and Associates has not applied for certification with USLA, and so he could not speak on the company's regulations or training.

"As far as being fired for going outside the zone, I couldn't tell you how they could make that justification," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/florida-lifeguard-fired-trying-save-drowning-man-outside-165236910--abc-news-topstories.html

loochy
07-04-2012, 06:28 PM
that supervisor can go to hell

kysirsoze
07-04-2012, 06:29 PM
I understand concern over liabilities, but they seriously expect a guard to just let someone die over something like that. What kind of cold-blooded bastard would look at someone asking him to save their friend and say, "He's out of my jurisdiction"??

Okie_Apparition
07-04-2012, 06:49 PM
If he watched any cop shows he should know to drag the body into another zone
Of course if he had died dragging him back could have been awkward

oldman
07-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Before I begin my rant on the scum of the earth, lawyers, I'll be the lifeguard gets his job back.
If some drunken fool in the "protected area" would have twisted his ankle during this episode, you can bet the first snake (lawyer) around would have been sueinig for millions. What should have happened is the lifeguard should have been prosecuted for negligent homicide had the other idiot died. It's high time we quit being a litigious bunch of freeloaders looking for a quick buck and take responisbilty for our own actions, not matter how stupid they may be.

BigMeatballDave
07-04-2012, 07:24 PM
No good deed goes unpunished...

Demonpenz
07-04-2012, 07:27 PM
shitty job anyway

jspchief
07-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Can you imagine the story if the ligeguard had declined to act?

Frankie
07-04-2012, 08:53 PM
No good deed goes unpunished...

Dammit! I wanted a cool title for this thread. Never thought of this one. :doh!:

Bowser
07-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Can you imagine the story if the ligeguard had declined to act?

Exactly. The guy would be receiving death threats, most likely.

So a contract is what potentially determines if I live or die if I have problems at a beach. Good info to know. I'll be sure and ask what the "enforced zones" are next time I'm there.

Simply Red
07-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Exactly. The guy would be receiving death threats, most likely.

So a contract is what potentially determines if I live or die if I have problems at a beach. Good info to know. I'll be sure and ask what the "enforced zones" are next time I'm there.

Just buy arm floaties, brah. Or even Walgreens carry that noodle floaty.

Bowser
07-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Just buy arm floaties, brah. Or even Walgreens carry that noodle floaty.

1) buy 30 noodle floaties

2) tie together with ball of newspaper string my dad saved for years for no apparent reason

3) get two arm floaties to hold drinks

4) profit

Simply Red
07-04-2012, 09:28 PM
1) buy 30 noodle floaties

2) tie together with ball of newspaper string my dad saved for years for no apparent reason

3) get two arm floaties to hold drinks

4) profit

LOL - I'm just glad Bob Dole is okay - I was like - " I don't remember him sounding/talking like such a hick " -- I'm glad you'd cleared that up for me.

Bowser
07-04-2012, 09:31 PM
LOL - I'm just glad Bob Dole is okay - I was like - " I don't remember him sounding/talking like such a hick " -- I'm glad you'd cleared that up for me.

I'm here to help. Just ask any time. LMAO

mr. tegu
07-04-2012, 10:23 PM
I guess training him on his jurisdiction was not part of the process during training...either that or he completely ignored what was obviously the most "important" part of training :rolleyes:

Kyle DeLexus
07-04-2012, 10:37 PM
I found the transcript of his training session.

Trainer>>Your job here is as a lifeguard. That's why I hired you. I didn't hire you to watch my daughter.
Lopez>> No.
Trainer>> The lives.
Lopez>> Lives.
Trainer>> Lives, you got that?
Lopez>> Guarding lives.
Trainer>> Every single life around this beach is your responsibility.
Lopez>> Yes, sir.
Trainer>> Repeat after me--
Lopez>> every single life.
Trainer>> You're too fast. Every single life around this beach.
Lopez>> Around this beach.
Trainer>> Is your responsibility.
Lopez>> Is my responsibility.
Trainer>> At this beach every life. You go that?
Lopez>> It is my responsibility.
Trainer>> Every single life around this beach! Except that son of a bitch over there.

ClevelandBronco
07-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Personally, I'd have to question the talent and intellectual capacity of anyone who hasn't been fired at least once.

ThaVirus
07-05-2012, 12:30 AM
The most ridiculous thing about any of this is that the thread contains the word "swell". Who says that?

listopencil
07-05-2012, 03:23 AM
Well, he did abandon his post.

mikey23545
07-05-2012, 04:54 AM
If some people want to go swimming in the unprotected part of the beach, and then expect lifeguards to come running down from the protected part of the beach to save their ****tarded asses when they realize they can't swim - leaving the people in the protected part of the beach unguarded - **** 'em.

mdchiefsfan
07-05-2012, 05:39 AM
If some people want to go swimming in the unprotected part of the beach, and then expect lifeguards to come running down from the protected part of the beach to save their ****tarded asses when they realize they can't swim - leaving the people in the protected part of the beach unguarded - **** 'em.

Darwinism. :thumb:

scho63
07-05-2012, 05:53 AM
This country of ours is turning into a festering, no brain, no common sense, lack of dignity, lawsuit run, politically correct, power mongering, piece of shit society that I can't even stand anymore.

What the hell has happened to this great nation???

qabbaan
07-05-2012, 06:32 AM
Before I begin my rant on the scum of the earth, lawyers, I'll be the lifeguard gets his job back.
If some drunken fool in the "protected area" would have twisted his ankle during this episode, you can bet the first snake (lawyer) around would have been sueinig for millions. What should have happened is the lifeguard should have been prosecuted for negligent homicide had the other idiot died. It's high time we quit being a litigious bunch of freeloaders looking for a quick buck and take responisbilty for our own actions, not matter how stupid they may be.

That is not what negligent homicide is.

He wouldn't have been guilty of anything for not rescuing.

Garcia Bronco
07-05-2012, 07:07 AM
That is not what negligent homicide is.

He wouldn't have been guilty of anything for not rescuing.

Except his own conscience. I wouldn't let someone die either. Geeze people...lets get some perspective here.

ILChief
07-05-2012, 07:13 AM
Capitalism

ILChief
07-05-2012, 07:16 AM
Similar type situation:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39516346/ns/us_news-life/t/no-pay-no-spray-firefighters-let-home-burn/

Predarat
07-05-2012, 07:20 AM
That is horrible, what a bunch of pieces of shit for firing that guy.

qabbaan
07-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Except his own conscience. I wouldn't let someone die either. Geeze people...lets get some perspective here.

I agree. The post however was a hem and has about "negligent homicide", which is not what that is.

There is usually no duty to rescue someone you see in a perilous situation.

Inspector
07-05-2012, 07:51 AM
Bummer he got fired. It's swell that the other guy was ok.

Setsuna
07-05-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm sure this didn't affect him too much. No doubt he went to bars and got instantly laid every time. I wouldn't feel sorry for him.

Frankie
07-05-2012, 11:00 AM
The most ridiculous thing about any of this is that the thread contains the word "swell". Who says that?

I'm a stickler for nostalgia, and that's groovy in my book.