PDA

View Full Version : Life San Diego fireworks show suffers "premature ignition"

Deberg_1990
07-05-2012, 06:30 AM
heh, gotta love that headline. : )

Story doesnt say how much money went up in smoke in a matter of seconds......

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jul/04/fireworks-dont-go-expected-san-diego/?sciquest

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JuJHfkXEI-o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The city's big kaboom ka-bombed on Wednesday night.

The Coast Guard says the Fourth of July fireworks in San Diego Bay were cancelled after a "premature ignition" occurred on at least three of the four barges involved in a show produced by a New jersey company that put on huge pyrotechnics at the Olympic Games and the Statue of Liberty.

"I've never seen so many fireworks go off at one time," said Rich Dann, a search-and-rescue controller with the Coast Guard. "I saw what looked like a fireworks finale. It lasted a minute or two and then it was over. We thought maybe they were trying to get everyone's attention."

"By 9:15 p.m. people were standing around and that was it. "

The mishap occurred at 8:57 p.m. About two hours later, the Port of San Diego said in a statement "Approximately five minutes before the show was to start, a signal was sent to the barges that would set the timing for the rest of the show, after the introduction. There were a number of preliminary test signals sent hours and minutes leading up to the show. All these signals tested properly, according to Garden State Fireworks, the fireworks company that provides the show.

"The Garden State Fireworks team will be working throughout the night to determine what technical problem caused the entire show to be launched in about 15 seconds.

"We apologize for the brevity of the show and the technical difficulties. More information will be posted when available."

The New Jersey-based Garden State Fireworks was founded in the 1890s and says on its website that it has been, "Pleasing millions of spectators for over a century." The company has performed fireworks displays at such places and events as the 1988 Olympic Games in Calgary, the Statue of Liberty Bicentennial Celebration, New Year's Eve in Central Park, New York.

Wednesday's fireworks in Coronado, Point Loma and Mission Bay went off as scheduled.

Big Bay Booooom Mike Newton "There was a big explosion, but we didn't see anything after that," said Tim Sharp, who was staying at the Embassy Suites Hotel.

"It looked like someone pressed the wrong button and it all went up at once, and that was it," said Robert Nicolson of Point Loma.

Michael Freeby of East Village said, "After the big explosion, a lot of people were in awe...until nothing came after it! The general consensus was that there had been some budget cuts. I waited nearly an hour after, and seemingly so did the large crowd, including people who apparently camped for the fireworks and were still there when I left. Total disappointment!"

Leo Casias, 62, of southeast San Diego, said, "I saw fireworks go off to the south of San Diego Bay. I wasn't sure if it was Coronado of Imperial Beach, but nothing over the bay."

Michael McCarthy, 67, of Point Loma, said, "We could feel the intense heat from explosion right away. It was a shock because it was such a loud boom."

tecumseh
07-05-2012, 06:40 AM
I feel alittle bad for all the people that were disappointed. But it's a small thing. Glad it made the news, which means, slow news day.

Msmith
07-05-2012, 07:24 AM
It reminds me of the Chargers as well, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

mikey23545
07-05-2012, 07:37 AM
I hate premature ignition...

Mojo Jojo
07-05-2012, 07:38 AM
That happened in Olathe one year damn SMPTE code.

Reerun_KC
07-05-2012, 07:41 AM
Reminds me of the Chiefs playoff hopes at the beginning of each year...

15 Seconds of fun, then reality sets in...

KCUnited
07-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Somebody fumbled the snap on this one.

Kerberos
07-05-2012, 08:48 AM
I hate premature ignition...

Sounds like a problem that resides in San Diego.... Just ask Buck. :)

Dayze
07-05-2012, 09:19 AM
same thing happened in Olathe a few years back. I was there as everything was popping and banging about a mile away. everyone was like 'WTF.....did it go off on the ground?" lol.

DTLB58
07-05-2012, 09:23 AM

:clap:

ModSocks
07-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Yeah, i was there. I was sitting atop a hill at a park with about 6 excited kids with me. Everyone at the park stayed till about 9:30 Pm before we heard about it on the radio.

Bummer.

Donger
07-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Should have just thought about baseball.

DaFace
07-05-2012, 09:37 AM
I've always heard that could that could happen. Never heard an actual account of it occurring though.

bevischief
07-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Someone messed up and didn't check the work of others.

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-05-2012, 10:58 AM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DWGCeMNmyV0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DWGCeMNmyV0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

frankotank
07-05-2012, 11:47 AM
well that fireworks show was a dud.
wait....

Deberg_1990
07-05-2012, 12:03 PM
I blew my load prematurely like that once.

Sucks because i had spent $300 on fireworks that year.

Donger
07-05-2012, 12:22 PM
It could have been worse (don't watch if squeamish):

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h-7yffeZX30" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kepp
07-05-2012, 01:52 PM

Worst. Show. Ever.

LiveSteam
07-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Michael Freeby of East Village said, "After the big explosion, a lot of people were in awe...until nothing came after it! The general consensus was that there had been some budget cuts. I waited nearly an hour after, and seemingly so did the large crowd, including people who apparently camped for the fireworks and were still there when I left. Total disappointment!"

The general consensus was budget cuts LMAOLMAO

Braincase
07-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Worst. Show. Ever.

LOL