PDA

View Full Version : Misc Below Decks on the Intrepid

Frazod
07-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Interesting article with photos of the off-limits spaces of the World War II aircraft carrier USS Intrepid, which is now a museum ship permanently berthed in New York City. The areas not open to tours have basically been left untouched since the ship was decommissioned back in the 70s.

http://www.businessinsider.com/uss-intrepid-below-decks-2012-4?op=1

Iz Zat Chew
07-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Interesting article with photos of the off-limits spaces of the World War II aircraft carrier USS Intrepid, which is now a museum ship permanently berthed in New York City. The areas not open to tours have basically been left untouched since the ship was decommissioned back in the 70s.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct544.aspx

Didn't the use asbestos as insulation on all of those old boats?

Psyko Tek
07-05-2012, 05:54 PM
isn't that where they a parking the enterprise?

the space shuttle not the star ship

Psyko Tek
07-05-2012, 05:55 PM
the link goes to a gun selling site,
did I miss something

Frazod
07-05-2012, 05:56 PM

Not sure. That would certainly be a cool addition. I toured the ship back in the 90s. At the time they had a WWII era sub, destroyer, and Sherman tank, which was actually functional and rolling down the pier (damn that thing was loud).

Frazod
07-05-2012, 05:57 PM
did I miss something

Oops. Corrected.

Bugeater
07-05-2012, 06:16 PM
did I miss something
U NEED MOAR GUNS

IratePrimate
07-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Is it bad that i see Intrepid and come into this thread trying to figure out whats below the deck on a dodge?

Valiant
07-05-2012, 06:57 PM

http://www.businessinsider.com/uss-intrepid-below-decks-2012-4?op=1

That is neat, the stamp on the envelope and other tag look fake though, they are bright white..

LiveSteam
07-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Awesome link

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/4f7882296bb3f79a2900000d-900/theres-still-some-anchor-chain-piled-up-in-a-narrow-passageway--each-link-weighs-a-hefty-360-pounds.jpg

360lbs a piece

JD10367
07-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Old warships are awesome. Not too far from me, in Fall River MA, they have an attraction called Battleship Cove, which has the U.S.S. Massachussetts as well as a submarine, and you can go on both. (The U.S.S. Missouri in Pearl Harbor, likewise.) It's amazing and impressive to realize the basic level of technology back then, and what they managed to accomplish.

Here's a pic I took 12 years ago of a friend of mine standing under the guns. Keep in mind he's over 6' tall.

Frazod
07-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Old warships are awesome. Not too far from me, in Fall River MA, they have an attraction called Battleship Cove, which has the U.S.S. Massachussetts as well as a submarine, and you can go on both. (The U.S.S. Missouri in Pearl Harbor, likewise.) It's amazing and impressive to realize the basic level of technology back then, and what they managed to accomplish.

Here's a pic I took 12 years ago of a friend of mine standing under the guns. Keep in mind he's over 6' tall.

I've seen it before when I was in Fall River, but have never been onboard. Neat ship.

WV
07-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Recently toured the USS Wisconsin in Norfolk, VA. Very neat.

mlyonsd
07-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Very cool frazod. I toured the Intrepid back in 2000 in NY before they spent all the money to refurbish it. We didn't get to walk very far below decks and I understand why now.

I was there with a buddy that actually fought in the Pacific for the Navy and he saw her several times in theater but had never stepped on deck. He died in April but I remember watching him look around the deck at things I never noticed. Like he had checked it out before from a distance and was reliving it.

Nicest dude that ever walked this world. He even attended the big bash at nzoner's once. RIP Bill.

NJChiefsFan
07-05-2012, 08:26 PM

Yes.

I watched the fireworks from the deck last year. Toured it before but I wish the shuttle was there at that point. It was pretty cool. They have a mock video/interaction where the ship is getting bombed and they have smoke come out where a bomb hit and killed a lot of sailors. They also have a to scale Lego model of the ship which is cool as hell. All the planes of different eras on the deck is also pretty cool.

notorious
07-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Awesome.

I am a military/history fan.

Demonpenz
07-05-2012, 09:02 PM
I always wanted to know how many people were killed by the big guns, you always see dirt fly everywhere on the land, but it always seemed so random.

Psyko Tek
07-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Yes.

I watched the fireworks from the deck last year. Toured it before but I wish the shuttle was there at that point. It was pretty cool. They have a mock video/interaction where the ship is getting bombed and they have smoke come out where a bomb hit and killed a lot of sailors. They also have a to scale Lego model of the ship which is cool as hell. All the planes of different eras on the deck is also pretty cool.

sounds great I need to find one like that On the west coast, NY is a ways from AZ. didn't a shuttle end up in LA?

yeah one in LA
2 in northeast
one in florida
still think I was stupid to stop the program

Frazod
07-05-2012, 09:33 PM
sounds great I need to find one like that On the west coast, NY is a ways from AZ. didn't a shuttle end up in LA?

yeah one in LA
2 in northeast
one in florida
still think I was stupid to stop the program

Obviously not nearly as cool, but have you ever seen the airplane graveyard at Davis Monthan AFB in Tuscon? That's pretty cool.

notorious
07-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Obviously not nearly as cool, but have you ever seen the airplane graveyard at Davis Monthan AFB in Tuscon? That's pretty cool.

Yes.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244457&highlight=I+took+some+cool+pictures

Frazod
07-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Yes.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244457&highlight=I+took+some+cool+pictures

Nice. I think I've got some pictures of it somewhere (mine were at ground level).

Rain Man
07-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Pretty cool stuff. I spent 4 or 5 hours going through the battleship Missouri in Hawaii last year, and I would've loved to go into the non-public areas.

It's interesting to me to see the various rooms and remember that each area was the daily workplace for certain people on the ship, and they probably knew every square inch of it.

Frazod
07-05-2012, 09:53 PM
I've never seen the Missouri in person. I think I've seen all the rest of the Iowa class battleships - they were still active when I was in. I saw the Iowa fire her 16" guns once. That was amazing. And very, very loud.