PDA

View Full Version : Life Bought my daughter a truck today

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Because that's just the kind of cool kid that she is. She wanted a truck instead of some cutsey little sports car or the like for her first vehicle. It is kind of a girly truck I guess... '99 Chevy S-10, cranberry color. She'll get her lisence in under a month. She's ready, she's a good driver.

Just another step in seeing my baby grow up too fast. It used to be wanting cheap toys out of store vending machines, then Yougio cards and those beany pet things that you bought then registered them on the beany pet thing website and "took care of them" and built them houses and bought them stuff with the points you earned by playing, then it's ipods and smartphones and pom pon squad and now it's her first vehicle and college shopping..... and I'm pretty sure all of this metamorphesis has taken place in the last week.

I don't know exactly why I'm starting a thread about this. I know I'm hardly the first person to watch their kids grow up and all the things that goes with that. I guess I'm just feeling refective tonight. Maybe others can share storys of their experiences if they want.

tl;dr- beer me is old and sensitive

*shit thread*
**no one cares about your daughter or niece or the Royals or country music
***I hate the off-season***
****Peyton Manning****

Deberg_1990
07-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Matt Cassel
Posted via Mobile Device

In58men
07-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Peyton Manning

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Peyton Manning

Q

Bugeater
07-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Tony Stewart.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 08:38 PM
LMAO

:clap:

Backwards Masking
07-07-2012, 08:39 PM
don't lesbians typically drive trucks?

nttatwwt - hell, i wouldn't want to have to worry about all the dicks in the neighborhood either if i had a daughter. provided you didn't buy it solely for cost and convienance of course.

threebag
07-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Only thing better in your teens is a conversion van.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 08:40 PM
don't lesbians typically drive trucks?

nttatwwt - hell, i wouldn't want to have to worry about all the dicks in the neighborhood either if i had a daughter. provided you didn't buy it solely for cost and convienance of course.

Bought it because it's want she wanted, in good condition, runs well and was affordable.

I think lesbians drive PT Cruisers. Or gay guys.

Bugeater
07-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Bought it because it's want she wanted, in good condition, runs well and was affordable.

I think lesbians drive PT Cruisers. Or gay guys.
Was it affordable enough for you to keep your internet?

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Was it affordable enough for you to keep your internet?

In the short term yes. We'll see how things go as we go and what else pops up.

In58men
07-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Tony Stewart.

Die in a fire

BigMeatballDave
07-07-2012, 08:50 PM
I think lesbians drive PT Cruisers. Or gay guys.ROFL

My son's mom has one.

LiveSteam
07-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Im pregnant

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 08:51 PM
ROFL

My son's mom has one.

nttawwt

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Im pregnant

Attention whore

LiveSteam
07-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Attention whore

:D

Your a good dad. Im a single father to. She just turned 10 & got her first ride at 9. I went all out

http://kids-electricscooters.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/hot-mod.jpg

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 08:57 PM
:D

Your a good dad. Im a single father to. She just turned 10 & got her first ride at 9. I went all out

http://kids-electricscooters.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/hot-mod.jpg

Thanks. She's a good kid, she makes it easy.

Nice ride too btw.

DeezNutz
07-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Even though I know you're a dumbass since you're a Royals fan, it sounds like you're a pretty good dad.

Two-Twenty
07-07-2012, 09:00 PM
My daughters 5, advice?

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Even though I know you're a dumbass since you're a Royals fan, it sounds like you're a pretty good dad.

Guilty on the dumbass Royals fan thing.

Ray and I are very close. As much buddys with very similar tastes and personalities as father/daughter. I got really lucky with her.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 09:01 PM
My daughters 5, advice?

Start with cheap toys out of the vending machines at stores. By next week it'll be a Hummer.

Bugeater
07-07-2012, 09:01 PM
My daughters 5, advice?
Pray for the best and insure everything.

milkman
07-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Did you buy her one of those "Silly boys, trucks are for girls" bumper stickers?

Hammock Parties
07-07-2012, 09:02 PM
sucks getting old, huh bro?

LiveSteam
07-07-2012, 09:03 PM

You you homafrog you

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Did you buy her one of those "Silly boys, trucks are for girls" bumper stickers?

She'd tell me I'm stupid and throw it away if I did that.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 09:04 PM

I don't mind it for me... I mind it seeing her grow up so fast.

milkman
07-07-2012, 09:04 PM
She'd tell me I'm stupid and throw it away if I did that.

What kind of gratitude is that?

mlyonsd
07-07-2012, 09:05 PM
My daughters 5, advice?College fund.

And a basketball hoop.

Hammock Parties
07-07-2012, 09:06 PM
I don't mind it for me... I mind it seeing her grow up so fast.

How old is she?

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 09:08 PM
What kind of gratitude is that?

Heh I'd respect her for it.

The thing is she actually wanted a truck to help with some light hauling we do from time to time. Her mom and I both drive cars and have always had to borrow grandpas truck for brush, furniture etc.. She saw a need/way to help and asked to fill it. Plus she just likes trucks. A practical teenager........ go figure.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 09:09 PM
How old is she?

15... 16 in about 3 weeks.

Deberg_1990
07-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Im pregnant

At least its you.and not Johnnys daughter
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
07-07-2012, 09:10 PM
15... 16 in about 3 weeks.

Does she have a boyfriend?

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Does she have a boyfriend?

Same one for a year and a half... and I know where you're going here so I'll just say no that's not it now.

cabletech94
07-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Because that's just the kind of cool kid that she is. She wanted a truck instead of some cutsey little sports car or the like for her first vehicle. It is kind of a girly truck I guess... '99 Chevy S-10, cranberry color. She'll get her lisence in under a month. She's ready, she's a good driver.

Just another step in seeing my baby grow up too fast. It used to be wanting cheap toys out of store vending machines, then Yougio cards and those beany pet things that you bought then registered them on the beany pet thing website and "took care of them" and built them houses and bought them stuff with the points you earned by playing, then it's ipods and smartphones and pom pon squad and now it's her first vehicle and college shopping..... and I'm pretty sure all of this metamorphesis has taken place in the last week.

I don't know exactly why I'm starting a thread about this. I know I'm hardly the first person to watch their kids grow up and all the things that goes with that. I guess I'm just feeling refective tonight. Maybe others can share storys of their experiences if they want.

tl;dr- beer me is old and sensitive

*shit thread*
**no one cares about your daughter or niece or the Royals or country music
***I hate the off-season***
****Peyton Manning****

god dammit, you've been drinking again, haven't you?

p.s. ford rangers are a better buy. just sayin' :)

Hammock Parties
07-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Same one for a year and a half... and I know where you're going here so I'll just say no that's not it now.

Well, check the truck for fluids.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 09:20 PM
god dammit, you've been drinking again, haven't you?

p.s. ford rangers are a better buy. just sayin' :)

I'm on my second beer. I probably misspelled some things but I know "old" and "Peyton Manning" are right lol.

Pffft... Ford Rangers. Give me a break. I'd have bought her a Toyota Tacoma if I could afford it.

suzzer99
07-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Make sure she wears her seatbelt as well as everyone in the car - always. A good friend of my kid's just died because she was sleeping the passenger seat of a pathfinder without her seatbelt on. The driver apparently went off the road a little, then over-corrected and rolled the car. Which teenagers have a tendency to do.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Make sure she wears her seatbelt as well as everyone in the car - always. A good friend of my kid's just died because she was sleeping the passenger seat of a pathfinder without her seatbelt on. The driver apparently went off the road a little, then over-corrected and rolled the car. Which teenagers have a tendency to do.

She always does and will tell everyone else in the vehicle to put theirs on if they don't. Always good advice.

cabletech94
07-07-2012, 09:30 PM
I'm on my second beer. I probably misspelled some things but I know "old" and "Peyton Manning" are right lol.

Pffft... Ford Rangers. Give me a break. I'd have bought her a Toyota Tacoma if I could afford it.

i got ready to make a fiery car crash joke until i read suds' post. so i'ma just gonna stop right there.

('sides, the ranger was my first truck. pretty goddamned dependable son. only reason i don't have it now is that my little bro needed a ride for a few weeks. 12 years later, here we are talking about trucks)

daughter has good choice in vehicles. seriously, in my history, my cars always broke down, where as the trucks never have.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 09:35 PM
[/B]
i got ready to make a fiery car crash joke until i read suds' post. so i'ma just gonna stop right there.

('sides, the ranger was my first truck. pretty goddamned dependable son. only reason i don't have it now is that my little bro needed a ride for a few weeks. 12 years later, here we are talking about trucks)

daughter has good choice in vehicles. seriously, in my history, my cars always broke down, where as the trucks never have.

I'm not trying to dog Ford... although I did anyway. I know they've gotten better and are supposed to be of good quality these days. I've just never been a fan. I've test driven a few... cars and trucks... and they just never felt good to me. They always seem a little off for some reason. That's just me. If we'd found a good Ranger we'd probably have bought it. It's just a first vehicle after all. She going to drive it around town, to school and pom practice and dance practice and such. By college in 2 years we'll probablly be looking at something else.

Al Bundy
07-07-2012, 09:40 PM
I'll insult Ford... no way no how would my kids first, second, third or fourth car be a Ford.

Tombstone RJ
07-07-2012, 09:40 PM
shoe horn 350 into that bad boy... (that's pretty much my answer to everything).

Tombstone RJ
07-07-2012, 09:42 PM
I'll insult Ford... no way no how would my kids first, second, third or fourth car be a Ford.

My first car was a 1966 Mustang GT. With glass packs. I refuse to be a "brand" guy because only morons pigeon hole themselves into one brand.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 09:44 PM
My first car was a 1966 Mustang GT. With glass packs. I refuse to be a "brand" guy because only morons pigeon hole themselves into one brand.

A Mustang is one Ford I'd be glad to drive.

Phobia
07-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Cool. You're a proud dad. Nothing wrong with that in the slightest.

Bugeater
07-07-2012, 09:51 PM
A Mustang is one Ford I'd be glad to drive.
http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/images/12/2009/05/77MustangMain.jpg

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 09:54 PM
http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/images/12/2009/05/77MustangMain.jpg

Is that a Mustang? Seriously I don't know.

Tombstone RJ
07-07-2012, 09:57 PM
I also owned a 1978 Camaro Z28 that wasn't exactly "stock" and that was a fun car too. The Mustang was red, the Camaro was black.

chefsos
07-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Two of my daughters learned to drive in my five speed '85 Bronco II when they were 13 or 14. They'd sit in my lap and steer while I shifted and worked the pedals, and eventually they shifted, too. I just told 'em when I was depressing the clutch, and why. After they got to where they could reach the pedals I let 'em go, and they could both drive that thing long before they got their licenses. Proud.

One of them, when she was ready for a car, wanted that Bronco, so we sold it to her.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Two of my daughters learned to drive in my five speed '85 Bronco II when they were 13 or 14. They'd sit in my lap and steer while I shifted and worked the pedals, and eventually they shifted, too. I just told 'em when I was depressing the clutch, and why. After they got to where they could reach the pedals I let 'em go, and they could both drive that thing long before they got their licenses. Proud.

One of them, when she was ready for a car, wanted that Bronco, so we sold it to her.

That's cool. Ray said a 5-speed was fine because we found one and she thought it would be fun to learn to drive it. Mom said no.

Tombstone RJ
07-07-2012, 10:04 PM

I had friends growing up that had Bronco IIs. Those were some crazy little SUVs. They were light and if you had the V6 they were kinda squirrely. But fun.

mlyonsd
07-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Pretty cool Dr.

She'll remember this until she's an old granny.

chefsos
07-07-2012, 10:08 PM
That's cool. Ray said a 5-speed was fine because we found one and she thought it would be fun to learn to drive it. Mom said no.I've always thought girls should at least be able to function with a manual transmission vehicle, just in case something happens and they have to do it. Gives 'em a certain amount of independence, I suppose.

gblowfish
07-07-2012, 10:09 PM
That's pretty cool dad. The first real vehicle I bought with all my own money was a 1984 S-10 4-speed. 4x4. Bought it from Rick Ball Chevy in Boonville, MO, it was about a year old, they repo'ed it from some farmer in Fayette, MO.

chefsos
07-07-2012, 10:10 PM
I had friends growing up that had Bronco IIs. Those were some crazy little SUVs. They were light and if you had the V6 they were kinda squirrely. But fun.And narrow. And short wheelbase. Hang on!

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 10:11 PM
I've always thought girls should at least be able to function with a manual transmission vehicle, just in case something happens and they have to do it. Gives 'em a certain amount of independence, I suppose.

I agree. I understand why mom said no but I want her to learn a 5-speed at some point and she'll be happy to learn it.

chefsos
07-07-2012, 10:13 PM
I agree. I understand why mom said no but I want her to learn a 5-speed at some point and she'll be happy to learn it.Also, with a hand on the shifter and a hand on the wheel there are no hands left to text with...

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Also, with a hand on the shifter and a hand on the wheel there are no hands left to text with...

LOL excellent point.

tarheel23
07-07-2012, 10:25 PM
I bought my sixteen year old daughter a 2002 chevy s 10 today also. It is maroon and only has 57000 miles on it. It is her second she totaled a 2003 ford ranger in january.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 10:28 PM
I bought my sixteen year old daughter a 2002 chevy s 10 today also. It is maroon and only has 57000 miles on it. It is her second she totaled a 2003 ford ranger in january.

You just had to beat me with newer and less miles didn't you heh.

milkman
07-07-2012, 10:41 PM
I love my truck
It's right outside

Ain't got much luck
But I sure got a ride.

Don't matter who lives
Don't matter who dies.

I got my truck right by my side.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 10:42 PM
I love my truck
It's right outside

Ain't got much luck
But I sure got a ride.

Don't matter who lives
Don't matter who dies.

I got my truck right by my side.

I thought you hated music.

milkman
07-07-2012, 10:44 PM
I thought you hated music.

I don't hate music.

It just isn't a big part of my life.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 10:47 PM
I don't hate music.

It just isn't a big part of my life.

I find that sad.

:)

BigMeatballDave
07-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Watching your child drive a motor vehicle has got to be terrifying as a parent.

My son will be 14 in Dec. That means he can get his permit in 2 yrs.

Fuck.

Demonpenz
07-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Cause it's all in my head.

milkman
07-07-2012, 11:05 PM

When I was a kid in Kansas, you could get your permit at 14.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 11:08 PM

The first time I took her driving I was a little nervous but we were in a big empty lot so she couldn't damage anything. Now I can take a nap while she drives if I wanted to.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-07-2012, 11:08 PM

Get them here in Illinois at 15.

BigMeatballDave
07-07-2012, 11:14 PM

I remember that. I lived in KS in the 70s.

booger
07-07-2012, 11:23 PM
I remember that. I lived in KS in the 70s.

milkman was there when the drivers ed car was a model T

BigMeatballDave
07-07-2012, 11:58 PM
milkman was there when the drivers ed car was a model T

LOL

I was gonna say when Cavemen invented the wheel.

chefsos
07-08-2012, 12:01 AM
Damnit. I KNEW I should have set that O/U on "Milkman's an old fuck" jokes higher than 1 1/2.

Bugeater
07-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Milkman may have had a permit at the age of 14, but it didn't matter because the wheel hadn't been invented yet.

Bambi
07-08-2012, 12:14 AM
where are the pics of this girl? Come on, lets go

Mr. Kotter
07-08-2012, 12:24 AM
Eh....my 16 year old boy wanted a Grand Prix...I ran across a Black 2001 GTP, and thought "Heck, I would have liked this as a kid," so I kicked in half for him; if he wants to buy it, he'll pay for the other "half" before he heads to college. Had it checked by my mechanic, and everything is "new," it was a "one-owner," with low mileage...so for the price....we did good.

THEN I realized what the fugg a GTP was after I bought it, and took it for a good test ride; I just hope he keeps it under triple digits on the way to the "team football camp" that's about an hour away this week.... :(

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-08-2012, 12:37 AM
where are the pics of this girl? Come on, lets go

Like you're the first to ask and be granted nothing.

Pushead2
07-08-2012, 12:45 AM
Eh....my 16 year old boy wanted a Grand Prix...I ran across a Black 2001 GTP, and thought "Heck, I would have liked this as a kid," so I kicked in half for him; if he wants to buy it, he'll pay for the other "half" before he heads to college. Had it checked by my mechanic, and everything is "new," it was a "one-owner," with low mileage...so for the price....we did good.

THEN I realized what the fugg a GTP was after I bought it, and took it for a good test ride; I just hope he keeps it under triple digits on the way to the "team football camp" that's about an hour away this week.... :(

had one too - fantastic car for me. The air conditioner was the best I've ever came across. Literally could blow smoke out of your mouth on road trips.

Mr. Kotter
07-08-2012, 12:59 AM
had one too - fantastic car for me. The air conditioner was the best I've ever came across. Literally could blow smoke out of your mouth on road trips.

The air conditioning, it's cold as "ice" at this point...the part that scares me, about half-way to the floor (pedal to the metal) it's already at 75 mph...:shake:

Mosbonian
07-08-2012, 03:17 AM

Mine's 16 now and driving on her permit. Like you I've seen mine grow up way too fast. The time from vending machine toys to American Girl dolls to High School Musical and now to young lady went by way too fast.

This year has been a season of change for me.....daughter who turned 16 and a son who just turned 20.

And FTR, my daughter drives my Toyota Tacoma and loves it. What she really wants it a Honda CRV or Rav 4.

And the only other cars she seems to have an interest in is a new VW or a Civic

Mosbonian
07-08-2012, 03:23 AM
Also, with a hand on the shifter and a hand on the wheel there are no hands left to text with...

Excellent point...and I repped you for it.

Mosbonian
07-08-2012, 03:29 AM

You breathe deep....and then pray that what you taught them is enough.

The one commercial I look at differently each time I watch it is the one where the dad is leaning in the window talking to what is in the viewers eyes is his 5 y/o daughter behind the steering wheel. He is telling her all the "dad" things as he is getting ready to hand her the keys to the car.

No matter how much you try for it not to....a little of you leaves with them everywhere they go.

Mosbonian
07-08-2012, 03:30 AM
The first time I took her driving I was a little nervous but we were in a big empty lot so she couldn't damage anything. Now I can take a nap while she drives if I wanted to.

You are braver than I am...

Pushead2
07-08-2012, 03:51 AM
The air conditioning, it's cold as "ice" at this point...the part that scares me, about half-way to the floor (pedal to the metal) it's already at 75 mph...:shake:

Yeah it had 220hp Supercharged & very sporty to drive. In the end that A/C will always be the thing I remember most of that car!

Two-Twenty
07-08-2012, 04:37 AM

:clap:

Kyle DeLexus
07-08-2012, 04:46 AM
Something bout a truck

Titty Meat
07-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Show her how to hotbox it.

Buehler445
07-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Not a truck
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4e614nywqh0jt08tnuHQdGGVfRCDYPEVtgq-TblbhiXfoPy1kBm-RJsdf

Truck
http://www.champaign18wheeleraccidentlawyer.co/library/images/stock-images/trucking/18-wheeler-semi-truck.jpg

chefsos
07-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Not a truck
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4e614nywqh0jt08tnuHQdGGVfRCDYPEVtgq-TblbhiXfoPy1kBm-RJsdf

Truck
http://www.champaign18wheeleraccidentlawyer.co/library/images/stock-images/trucking/18-wheeler-semi-truck.jpgTrue. Hell, I've driven Rangers for 20 years and I freely admit they're not really trucks. Someone once said that small pickups were a genius move by the manufacturers, because they figured out how to sell half a car for full price.