PDA

View Full Version : Misc What a Find in an Ohio Attic

BoneKrusher
07-10-2012, 07:51 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/baseball-cards-found-ohio-attic-could-worth-3-195715952--mlb.html
Baseball Card collection could be worth 3 Million.

Rain Man
07-10-2012, 08:04 PM
My great-great-grandfathers apparently didn't like baseball, dammit.

That's a nice find if you're an heir.

ZootedGranny
07-10-2012, 08:10 PM
This news should've been delivered by Don West at the peak of a coke binge screaming "GEM MINT TEN!" directly into my face.

Ceej
07-10-2012, 08:11 PM
$3 mill when baseball card collecting has significantly declined??

Ehhhhhh

mlyonsd
07-10-2012, 08:20 PM
$3 mill when baseball card collecting has significantly declined??

EhhhhhhLike every market it has its ups and downs. With baseball coming back and cards being on the decline this find is awesome.

Ceej
07-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Like every market it has its ups and downs. With baseball coming back and cards being on the decline this find is awesome.

Sure.

If he can find a person willing to spend $3mil on it.

Ace Gunner
07-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Wow, that would be a fun find. I'd just sit and look through those cards for awhile.

mlyonsd
07-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Sure.

If he can find a person willing to spend $3mil on it.Well if you ever find something like that in your attic send me a PM and I'll buy you a beer or something if you let me have it.

SAUTO
07-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Well if you ever find something like that in your attic send me a PM and I'll buy you a beer or something if you let me have it.

I'm bidding, I'll buy you a sixer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ceej
07-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Well if you ever find something like that in your attic send me a PM and I'll buy you a beer or something if you let me have it.

I get that it is a nice collection valued up to $3mil.

But, who is going to pay that when the baseball card collecting hobby has been down for a long while.

BoneKrusher
07-10-2012, 09:11 PM

But, who is going to pay that when the baseball card collecting hobby has been down for a long while.

Charlie Sheen?

Ceej
07-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Charlie Sheen?

I'm sure he collects other things rather than baseball cards.

Consistent1
07-10-2012, 09:13 PM

These aren't exactly 1990 Score cards here bro.

Ceej
07-10-2012, 09:15 PM
These aren't exactly 1990 Score cards here bro.

Thanks, bro.

Valiant

It has not gone down.. New cards have gone down.. Old shit and premium stuff is still worth a lot.. My cousin wheels and deals in the shit.. Makes a good mint..

And the article says they are going to space out the cards to keep value up.. Nothing has ever come close to the condition these cards are in from what the article said..

BoneKrusher
I'm sure he collects other things rather than baseball cards.

he's only the biggest sports memorabilia collector in the US as of a couple years ago.

he was on the Herd the other day, he owns some cool collectables.
Mostly Baseball, he's a huge Reds fan.

Ceej
07-10-2012, 09:18 PM
It has not gone down.. New cards have gone down.. Old shit and premium stuff is still worth a lot.. My cousin wheels and deals in the shit.. Makes a good mint..

And the article says they are going to space out the cards to keep value up.. Nothing has ever come close to the condition these cards are in from what the article said..

It has here in Kansas.

You guys let me know when he sells those cards for $3 million.

jjjayb
07-10-2012, 09:31 PM
It has here in Kansas.

You guys let me know when he sells those cards for $3 million.

From the article:

Wagner's name alone is a monster among collecting enthusiasts, mostly because he refused to be associated with the chewing tobacco companies that usually produced baseball cards at that time he played. Different cards of his from around the same time have recently sold for $2.8 million and $1.2 million, respectively. The Wagner card pictured above was graded a 10 — an unheard-of score. The cards in Hench's attic were from the mysterious E98 series, which has an unknown manufacturer. It should only add to the allure.

He has one of the rarest cards of Wagner, in a 10 condition. Along with cards for Ty Cobb & Cy Young. In total he has 700 cards from 1910. All of them in perfect condition. I don't think he'll have a problem getting 3 million.

Ceej
07-10-2012, 09:41 PM
From the article:

He has one of the rarest cards of Wagner, in a 10 condition. Along with cards for Ty Cobb & Cy Young. In total he has 700 cards from 1910. All of them in perfect condition. I don't think he'll have a problem getting 3 million.

And the top of the article in bold print says "could" be worth.

Again, let me know when the guy makes $3mill.

Trevo_410
07-10-2012, 09:47 PM
The highest price paid for a non steroid related piece of baseball memorabilia is the famous "Gretzky T206 Honus Wagner" baseball card selling for $2.8 million in 2007. Wayne Gretzky and Bruce McNall bought the T206 Honus Wagner card in 1991 for $451,000., and sold it for $500,000. in 1995.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_highest_price_paid_for_a_piece_of_baseball_memorabilia#ixzz20HZ6tqLR

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_highest_price_paid_for_a_piece_of_baseball_memorabilia

Ceej
07-10-2012, 09:50 PM
I'm sure there are buyers out there for them.

But, the baseball card business isn't what it once was.

I just don't see it. Just an opinion.

tredadda
07-10-2012, 09:57 PM
I'm sure there are buyers out there for them.

But, the baseball card business isn't what it once was.

I just don't see it. Just an opinion.

But the people who buy these types of cards buy them because they are collectibles and these people can afford it. They don't buy them because of what the business is at the moment. These types of buyers blow cash on frivolous collectible things all the time.

Ceej
07-10-2012, 09:59 PM
But the people who buy these types of cards buy them because they are collectibles and these people can afford it. They don't buy them because of what the business is at the moment. These types of buyers blow cash on frivolous collectible things all the time.

And the last one was sold in...2007.

tredadda
07-10-2012, 10:02 PM
And the last one was sold in...2007.

Irrelevant. Average people like us care about stuff like that. To the ultra wealthy that is a small price to pay for a valuable collectible. Also people don't buy these things to quickly resell them, hence why they are collectibles.

Ceej
07-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Irrelevant. Average people like us care about stuff like that. To the ultra wealthy that is a small price to pay for a valuable collectible. Also people don't buy these things to quickly resell them, hence why they are collectibles.

I realize they're collectibles.

You guys let me know when these cards sell and he pockets $3mill.

Regardless, pretty fucking cool find.

Bump
07-10-2012, 10:06 PM
my grandfather was a sports nut his whole life, talked about all of the cards he had that would be worth millions but his mom threw it away went he left for the Navy. Damn....

Psyko Tek
07-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Like every market it has its ups and downs. With baseball coming back and cards being on the decline this find is awesome.

baseball is coming back?
WHY
did soccer get too boring?

sorry think baseball soccer and hockey should be kids only

I did play can;t wacth, and NBA should be there too
if your play offs aren't on and done, not a sport keep it away from mer

BigMeatballDave
07-11-2012, 04:50 AM
baseball is coming back?
WHY
did soccer get too boring?

sorry think baseball soccer and hockey should be kids only

I did play can;t wacth, and NBA should be there too
if your play offs aren't on and done, not a sport keep it away from mer

:spock:

SAUTO
07-11-2012, 07:10 AM

Regardless, pretty fucking cool find.

i would just throw them away if i couldnt get 3 mil even for them...

anything>nothing

Ceej
07-11-2012, 07:23 AM
i would just throw them away if i couldnt get 3 mil even for them...

anything>nothing

Clearly that isn't my point.

All I'm saying is the article says the collection up to $3 million. I just don't see it right now.

But, if you want to continue to misinterpret then by all means.

Donger
07-11-2012, 07:23 AM

Regardless, pretty ****ing cool find.

Do you mind if I call in an expert? He knows everything there is to know about this stuff, so he'll come in and let us know what he thinks, and we'll go from there, okay?

Gonzo
07-11-2012, 07:24 AM
Heh, I was going through my football card collection the other day and found some that have to be worth some serious dough. I found a shit-ton on Derrick Thomas rookies, a Joe Montana rookie and a Tony Casillas misprint from when he signed with KC for like 2 days.

I have about 5,000 cards that I bought when I was a teenager that are still in the original wrapping. (got them at an estate sale for 20 bucks and never opened them)

I might be rich.

Ceej
07-11-2012, 07:32 AM
Do you mind if I call in an expert? He knows everything there is to know about this stuff, so he'll come in and let us know what he thinks, and we'll go from there, okay?

Is that you ole' man?

Ceej
07-11-2012, 07:33 AM
Heh, I was going through my football card collection the other day and found some that have to be worth some serious dough. I found a shit-ton on Derrick Thomas rookies, a Joe Montana rookie and a Tony Casillas misprint from when he signed with KC for like 2 days.

I have about 5,000 cards that I bought when I was a teenager that are still in the original wrapping. (got them at an estate sale for 20 bucks and never opened them)

I might be rich.

This collection COULD be worth $3 million dollhairs.

CoMoChief
07-11-2012, 07:45 AM
My grandfather has a bunch of old Babe Ruth cards etc from that era.....all kept in a box.....good condition still......worth lots of money prob.

BoneKrusher
07-11-2012, 08:12 AM

I might be rich.

it's been a while since i looked at a becket price guide but the last time i looked the 1981 topps Joe Montana rookie card booked for $150.00.

jjjayb
07-11-2012, 10:03 AM
And the top of the article in bold print says "could" be worth.

Again, let me know when the guy makes $3mill.

It also says that "could" be a conservative estimate.

The Franchise
07-11-2012, 10:12 AM
My Dad always told me.....

"It isn't worth shit unless you can find someone to pay you that much for it."

Ceej
07-11-2012, 10:25 AM
My Dad always told me.....

"It isn't worth shit unless you can find someone to pay you that much for it."

Bravo!

Is there buyers out there (if the potentially wants to sell) for these cards -- sure there are.

But, this isn't 1995, or 2007.

SAUTO
07-11-2012, 11:32 AM
It also says that "could" be a conservative estimate.

this

Pasta Little Brioni
07-11-2012, 12:38 PM
How much for a Cassel rookie?

HayWire
07-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Is that you ole' man?

or Chumlee?LMAO

Rain Man
07-11-2012, 02:19 PM

I might be rich.

Tony Casilias can rot in hell for what he did to the Chiefs. I command you to burn that card.

Bowser
07-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Jesus, CJizzles is obviously pissed he trashed his baseball cards in a hormonally induced teenaged rage when his prom date wouldn't put out.

And when they find my collection of old Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica trading cards in the attic, my grandkids will be set for life. Or a few months, at least.

Ceej
07-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Jesus, CJizzles is obviously pissed he trashed his baseball cards in a hormonally induced teenaged rage when his prom date wouldn't put out.

And when they find my collection of old Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica trading cards in the attic, my grandkids will be set for life. Or a few months, at least.

Far from it. I still have all of my cards.

Either going to pass them down to my kids. Or try to start collecting again.

Bowser
07-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Far from it. I still have all of my cards.

Either going to pass them down to my kids. Or try to start collecting again.

BUT THEY'RE NOT WORTH ANYTHING ANEEMORE!!!

Eh, just fucking with you. Hope some decendant of yours finds them one day and is able to buy an island with them.

Ceej
08-03-2012, 08:49 AM
They sold the lot for $556,000.

The auction house says they still could be potentially up to $3 million.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/19715692/trove-of-baseball-cards-found-in-ohio-sell-for-more-than-500000-at-auction

BWillie
08-03-2012, 09:07 AM
I didn't know people still valued baseball cards. I bought a ton when I was a kid, still have alot of them. They are worth even less than I bought them for originally.

Ceej
08-03-2012, 09:09 AM
I didn't know people still valued baseball cards. I bought a ton when I was a kid, still have alot of them. They are worth even less than I bought them for originally.

That was kind of my point.

Do I wish they'd make a come back?

HELL YES!!

Right now it looks like I will just pass them down when I have kids.

LoneWolf
08-03-2012, 09:25 AM
They sold the lot for $556,000.

The auction house says they still could be potentially up to $3 million.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/19715692/trove-of-baseball-cards-found-in-ohio-sell-for-more-than-500000-at-auction

Sounds like they sold a small portion of the cards found for $556,000 and plan to sell the rest over the next few years. I think they are still hoping to get up to the 3 million mark, but it sounds like wishful thinking.

Ceej
08-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Sounds like they sold a small portion of the cards found for $556,000 and plan to sell the rest over the next few years. I think they are still hoping to get up to the 3 million mark, but it sounds like wishful thinking.

I read it as they sold the entire lot, in three separate lots.