PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs preached “Kill the head and the body will die,” too

Quesadilla Joe
07-13-2012, 01:29 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/13/chiefs-preached-kill-the-head-and-the-body-will-die-too/

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1628/aviaryprofootballtalknb.png

Among the many incendiary statements that former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams used to fire up his players was, “Kill the head and the body will die.” There’s been a great deal of debate about what Williams meant when he talked about killing the head, but there’s no doubt about this: He wasn’t the only one in the NFL who used that phrase.

In fact, players walking into the Kansas City Chiefs’ defensive line room in 2008 were greeted with that slogan painted in huge letters: “KILL THE HEAD & THE BODY WILL DIE.”

The phrase was shown on the 2008 NFL Films production Hey Rookie, Welcome to the NFL, which aired on NFL Network today. (The image here is a picture I took of my TV.) Herm Edwards was the Chiefs’ head coach at the time, Gunther Cunningham was the defensive coordinator and Tim Krumrie was the defensive line coach. It’s not clear who painted the slogan or which members of the coaching staff endorsed it, but it is clear that the phrase was something the Chiefs wanted all of their defensive linemen to see.

After audio emerged of Williams saying before the playoff game against the 49ers that he wanted his players to “Make sure we kill Frank Gore’s head,” many people were shocked at what they heard, while some former players said it was par for the course in the NFL. In the Chiefs’ defensive line meeting room, “Kill the head & the body will die” was the first thing every player saw, every time he walked in.

RealSNR
07-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Fuck you. I had just successfully wiped those two names from my memory at the last therapy session and you had to go and fuck shit up.

Chief_For_Life58
07-13-2012, 01:32 PM
sweet. hopefully its still up

OnTheWarpath15
I didn't care when it was the Saints, I don't care now.

The sport is nothing without violence.

Don't like it?

Don't watch or don't play.

DeezNutz
Coach Slap Dick and his hands test are both greatly missed.

Nightfyre
I'm pretty sure it is well-established that if you get pressure on the quarterback, the rest of the passing game falls apart.

Munson
07-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Not a single f*** was given.

DeezNutz
07-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Gun used to talk about "taking a team's heart" too when alluding to an opposing QB, so I'm pretty sure he was thinking about that dude in Temple of Doom.

Probably should be fined.

DTLB58
07-13-2012, 01:36 PM
No! Not Herm.....The same guy espn has put on TV and radio night and day to say how bad all the people are related to this "Bounty" scandal?

ROFL :doh!:

Hammock Parties
07-13-2012, 01:36 PM
*Gunther Cunningham likes this*

Rasputin
07-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Gun used to talk about "taking a team's heart" too when alluding to an opposing QB, so I'm pretty sure he was thinking about that dude in Temple of Doom.

Probably should be fined.

literally Gun did this.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/orac1977/templeofdoom.gif

HemiEd
07-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Oh those master motivators, Herm and Gunther! They had all the tricks. Will the Chiefs have to vacate the playoff victories?

DTLB58
07-13-2012, 01:43 PM

Don't like it?

Pretty much.

Watch some highlights from just the 70's let alone before that. The hits are vicious!

Some fans think it's worse now than ever. The truth is, the league is just trying to crack down on it recently and are tearing it apart hit by hit.

tarheel23
07-13-2012, 01:46 PM
It's ok to say it you just can't pay for it.

Rain Man
07-13-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm pretty sure it is well-established that if you get pressure on the quarterback, the rest of the passing game falls apart.

Yep.

The Chiefs don't cheat. Never have, never will. They're Chiefs.

KCUnited
07-13-2012, 01:52 PM
"Tackle Somebody, Anybody" would've been more effective.

Nightfyre
07-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Yep.

The Chiefs don't cheat. Never have, never will. They're Chiefs.

LMAO exactly.

CoMoChief
07-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Gunther wants to rip the hearts and souls out of opposing players.

Fuckin love that man. He had shit to work with and wasn't very successful his 2nd time around, but he loved the Chiefs and loved KC more than any coach that's been here.

mikey23545
07-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Jeebus.

I'm in my 50's and I've heard that expression forever.

BigMeatballDave
07-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Denver Broncos:

Smear the Crisco and the D can't tackle.

Deberg_1990
07-13-2012, 02:12 PM
****in love that man. He had shit to work with and wasn't very successful his 2nd time around, but he loved the Chiefs and loved KC more than any coach that's been here.

:facepalm:

CoMoChief
07-13-2012, 02:33 PM
:facepalm:

What's the matter?

RealSNR
07-13-2012, 02:35 PM
What's the matter?
There are tons of people formerly with this organization who love the Chiefs and Kansas City. Len Dawson and Trent Green for starters.

Difference between those guys and Gunther? They were actually good at what they did.

Hammock Parties
07-13-2012, 02:38 PM
WHATEVER BITCHES

http://i.imgur.com/NC6L2.jpg

OnTheWarpath15
07-13-2012, 02:41 PM
There are tons of people formerly with this organization who love the Chiefs and Kansas City. Len Dawson and Trent Green for starters.

Difference between those guys and Gunther? They were actually good at what they did.

And that's the key here.

In fairness to CoMo, he's right - Gunther loved his job, his defense and the Chiefs, and no one wanted to win more than he did.

He just wasn't all that great at his job after losing his star players.

DaWolf
07-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Gunther was more about voodoo and exorcism:

“I think people are asking all the time ‘How do you coach defense, Gun?’ What I told Jim Schwartz (defensive coordinator) at Tennessee and what I told the players there I said ‘you got to take their heart’ that is the number one thing you got to do. You have to take the heart of the opponent and Jim Schwartz said ‘Well Gun how do you do that?’ I said, ‘You stop the run, that is their heart.’ I said ‘Once you stop the run you take their soul and that is the quarterback.’ To me those two approaches to playing football in the NFL is the way we want our defense. There are a lot of other things involved and what some people don’t understand is these guys play with their heart. You get the right chemistry going on defense and it doesn’t matter what you call. I think if you’ll ask Jerome Woods he plays with his eyes, you find the ball; you hunt it down and stop your opponent.

http://www2.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/01/20/petersoncunningham_press_conference__120/

Frankie
07-13-2012, 02:44 PM
The statement is figurative, and about demoralizing the QB, not actually attempting to kill him, which the Saints evidently tried to do.

ChiefsCountry
07-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Pretty much.

Watch some highlights from just the 70's let alone before that. The hits are vicious!

Some fans think it's worse now than ever. The truth is, the league is just trying to crack down on it recently and are tearing it apart hit by hit.

The hits looked more vicious then but the players today are so much bigger and stronger.

DaWolf
07-13-2012, 02:53 PM
He just wasn't all that great at his job after losing his star players.

He wasn't all that great at his job, period. He never accomplished squat in terms of putting a good defense on the field without Marty around. Once Marty left, it was mediocre defense after mediocre defense. And his only response was to always throw someone else under the bus for his failures, be they the players, be they Vermeil's style of offense, or be they Herm's wanting to use the Tampa 2, which he only complained about after he left for Detroit. Hell, he gave Carl a laundry list of players he wanted, all of which Carl went out and got him, such as Sammy Knight, Pat Surtain, Kendrell Bell, etc, and he still failed. I still remember him threatening to beat up anyone who wanted to say something bad about Bell to his face, and yet the dude never played a productive down while here.

Scott Fujita said it all (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/2/4/1292140/former-chief-scott-fujita-not-a):

What happened in KC?

"They brought in [defensive coordinator] Gunther Cunningham, who’s a [expletive]. And you can quote me on that."

I can think of about a half dozen words that would be perfectly appropriate to between those second brackets. Fujita wasn't completely soured on KC though. Silver writes, "Fujita is grateful to Vermeil for trading him to Dallas shortly before the start of the 2005 season after he had lost his starting job to free-agent signee Kendrell Bell and to Parcells for "helping to get my career back on track."

OnTheWarpath15
07-13-2012, 02:55 PM
The hits looked more vicious then but the players today are so much bigger and stronger.

The protective equipment is way more advanced now though.

I don't think it was anymore of a treat to get hit by Butkus, Lambert or Deacon back in the day than it is to get hit by Patrick Willis now.

ChiefsCountry
07-13-2012, 03:02 PM
The protective equipment is way more advanced now though.

I don't think it was anymore of a treat to get hit by Butkus, Lambert or Deacon back in the day than it is to get hit by Patrick Willis now.

Hell its not fun to get hit playing high school football but the rush of doing it to somebody else is one of the best experiecnes in the world.

vailpass
07-13-2012, 03:04 PM
They should have just painted the visitor's locker room pink.

Mr. Laz
07-13-2012, 03:13 PM
i hope they kill your head so we can watch your body die

CoMoChief
07-13-2012, 03:16 PM

Trent and Len didn't want to crush souls and rip hearts out of people CHuck Norris style like Gunther did.

Marcellus
07-13-2012, 03:42 PM

Yea I am amazed that people in media take this shit literally.

It means the QB is the head of the snake and shut him down and the entire offense (the body) goes down.

This is a great example of something being manipulated to mean something different than the intention so it can fit the agenda being driven.

Kind of like what happens on CP daily.

DaFace
07-13-2012, 03:44 PM

Don't like it?

Yup.

whoman69
07-13-2012, 03:54 PM
It has to do with context. Williams included that little gem in a speech about hurting other players. That is a bounty program. The same cannot be said of the Chiefs.

LOCOChief
Classless. Gregg Williams needs to apologize on behalf of the entire organization.

lcarus
They should have just painted the visitor's locker room pink.

Dude thats uncalled for. Really. Gtfo with that crap. Keep it clean. There could be children around. You jive turkey

HemiEd
07-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Gunther wants to rip the hearts and souls out of opposing players.

****in love that man. He had shit to work with and wasn't very successful his 2nd time around, but he loved the Chiefs and loved KC more than any coach that's been here.

Yep, he only needed about 5 more pro bowlers on D, and a couple HOFers, he would be set.

lcarus
07-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Yea I am amazed that people in media take this shit literally.

It means the QB is the head of the snake and shut him down and the entire offense (the body) goes down.

This is a great example of something being manipulated to mean something different than the intention so it can fit the agenda being driven.

Kind of like what happens on CP daily.

No shit. Its like if a DC told his LB to "take the Rb out of the picture on such and such play" that "He's implying murder!! Ban him!!"

boogblaster
07-13-2012, 04:00 PM
defense should be played wide-open .. if not .. go play some golf .....

lcarus
07-13-2012, 04:03 PM
defense should be played wide-open .. if not .. go play some golf .....

Agreed. Coaches want their defenses to be vicious, relentless and feared. Doesnt necessarily mean they want an opponent mangled, but if it happens in the process of a big ass hit...part of the game.

vailpass
07-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Dude thats uncalled for. Really. Gtfo with that crap. Keep it clean. There could be children around. You jive turkey

If it's good enough for Hayden Fry & Kirk Ferentz it's good enough for me.

vailpass
07-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Classless. Gregg Williams needs to apologize on behalf of the entire organization.

They should have given the Saints the death penalty. Just eliminate the entire organization.

thabear04
07-13-2012, 09:00 PM
The world has gone to be pussy these days... The NFL always try to dig up dirt on other Teams Who care if the Chiefs has this crap does it matter? no? will it show up on ESPN? maybe.

WhiteWhale
07-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Yep, he only needed about 5 more pro bowlers on D, and a couple HOFers, he would be set.

As opposed to all of those great defenses that didn't have any probowlers or future hall of famers?

There are a lot of legit criticisms against Gun, but the whole "He needs good players to have a good defense!" is not one of them.

milkman
07-14-2012, 09:57 AM
As opposed to all of those great defenses that didn't have any probowlers or future hall of famers?

There are a lot of legit criticisms against Gun, but the whole "He needs good players to have a good defense!" is not one of them.

When did Gunther have good defense without DT and Neal Smith, and some others?

Gunther is a moron, and I still contend that he did more to contain DT than any opposition OC ever did.