PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Liquor Store Sales

Stewie
07-13-2012, 04:11 PM
I live in Kansas and just went to the liquor store. The store owners have their 12-ish year old daughter checking customers out. That's completely illegal. Should I be a dick and turn them in... or just let it ride?

L.A. Chieffan
07-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Blackmail

blaise
07-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Why would you turn them in?

Bugeater
07-13-2012, 04:14 PM
I wouldn't turn them in, but FFS how do they not know better than that?

Stewie

Because other establishments have to follow the guidelines.

Munson
I think its legal for an underage child to work for their parents if they own the business.

vailpass
07-13-2012, 04:15 PM
I wouldn't turn them in, but FFS how do they not know better than that?

She's learning to work in the family store? Not smart by the parents but agreed, certainly no need to be the asshole that turns them in.

Stewie
I think its legal for an underage child to work for their parents if they own the business.

If you're under 21 you can't sell booze, no matter who your parents are.

Dartgod

Selling liquor?

vailpass
07-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Because other establishments have to follow the guidelines.

I hope to God you are joking here.

Munson
07-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Selling booze, I don't know.

But I know its not smart. It makes her an easy target to get robbed.

Stewie
07-13-2012, 04:18 PM
I hope to God you are joking here.

Where do you go where a 12-year old is selling liquor?

blaise
07-13-2012, 04:19 PM
If you're under 21 you can't sell booze, no matter who your parents are.

I just read that you can sell at 18 in Kansas. Of course, it sounds like she's not 18 anyway.

vailpass
07-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Where do you go where a 12-year old is selling liquor?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MA2NDf9LdDE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SPchief
07-13-2012, 04:22 PM
How do you know she's 12? Follow her home from school?

listopencil
07-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Jesus. Let it go. Of all the things to contact the police about...this is one of the pussiest I've heard of.

AustinChief
07-13-2012, 04:25 PM
What the hell is wrong with this? Let's say it was a small corner grocery store.. would you have a problem with her working the register there? Even if they sold beer and wine?

I just don't see how there is one single thing wrong with this.

Stewie
07-13-2012, 04:26 PM
How do you know she's 12? Follow her home from school?

She has a Justin Bieber tattoo that says, "If I were only six years older!"

QuikSsurfer
07-13-2012, 04:26 PM
Jesus. Let it go. Of all the things to contact the police about...this is one of the pussiest I've heard of.

I swear.. Just take your Smirnoff Ice and go home and enjoy yourself.

DaFace
07-13-2012, 04:27 PM
As long as the parents are around, I don't have a philosophical with a kid working a checkout register. I have no idea what the laws say, though.

Bugeater
07-13-2012, 04:28 PM
What the hell is wrong with this? Let's say it was a small corner grocery store.. would you have a problem with her working the register there? Even if they sold beer and wine?

Other than the pesky little fact that it is completely illegal...and her parents could lose their liquor license.

Stewie
07-13-2012, 04:30 PM

OK. You're right. Sorry that I was concerned that a business proprietor uses his 12-year old daughter to sell liquor. God forbid he hire someone legitimate and pay them

DaFace
07-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Other than the pesky little fact that it is completely illegal...and her parents could lose their liquor license.

Genuine question: are you sure of that, or just guessing? My guess is you're right, but I know some laws have weird family member exemptions for stuff like that.

AustinChief
07-13-2012, 04:36 PM
OK. You're right. Sorry that I was concerned that a business proprietor uses his 12-year old daughter to sell liquor. God forbid he hire someone legitimate and pay them

Again, I just don't see the difference between any other mom and pop business having their kids work the register for them. I don't see how that girl is any less "legitimate" then some random 21 year old.

AustinChief
07-13-2012, 04:38 PM

yes it is probably illegal in Kansas, but then again Kansas has never been a state I would want to model my liquor laws after. But I am not talking about it being illegal.. I am talking about why it should bother anyone. I certainly see ZERO reason that there is anything wrong with it.. other then the completely arbitrary reason of it being "illegal."

Joe_Camel
07-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Did she card you?

philfree
07-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Shop there often?

AustinChief
07-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Genuine question: are you sure of that, or just guessing?

Pretty sure he is right and that is the actual law.

KCUnited
07-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Did you buy it from her or storm out in protest?

AustinChief
07-13-2012, 04:42 PM
She has a Justin Bieber tattoo that says, "If I were only six years older!"

hahaha ok I missed this post before.

Ceej
07-13-2012, 04:43 PM
You're not incredbily high and accidentally tried buying booze at a convenient store did you?

Like, maybe a Valero or something.

CoMoChief
07-13-2012, 04:44 PM

no shit.

Needs to mind his own fucking business.

Stewie
07-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Minimum Age of Seller Requirements

What are minimum-age-of-seller policies and how do they work?

Age of seller policies require that servers and clerks at alcohol establishments be of a minimum age in order to serve or sell alcohol.

State laws specify a minimum age for employees who sell or serve alcoholic beverages in a licensed establishment. In most states, seller/servers of alcohol must be at least 18 but younger employees may be allowed to stock coolers with alcohol, bag purchased alcohol, or clear alcoholic beverages from tables. (1)

A few states (for example, Alabama, Alaska, Indiana, Nevada, New Mexico, and Oklahoma) require that servers in bars be of legal minimum drinking age of 21. (1)

DaFace
07-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Pretty sure he is right and that is the actual law.

You're probably right, but I'm just trying to figure out how it would actually be worded. Kids can work a cash register in a family-owned store at any age as far as I know, so that gets around the age-16 minimum there.

In a liquor store, it'd certainly be illegal for a 12 year old to be operating the store, but there's nothing to say that a 12 year old can't be IN the store.

So let's say that a parent is literally standing there watching the entire process from two feet away, but the kid takes the money and puts it in the drawer. Is that the part that's illegal?

Anyway, doesn't really matter in terms of answering the question.

The Franchise
07-13-2012, 04:45 PM
A retail liquor store licensee must have been a United States citizen for 10 years, a resident of Kansas for 4 years, must never have been convicted of a felony, a crime of moral turpitude, a liquor law violation, must never have had a prior license revocation, must be 21 years of age, must not be in the business of law enforcement, and the licensee's spouse must meet the same qualifications.[2] Retail liquor stores may sell beer, wine, spirits, and nonalcoholic malt beverages.[2] They may be licensed CMB retailers as well.[2]

Sales are prohibited on Easter and Christmas.[2] Sales are prohibited between 11:00 PM and 9:00 AM.[2] Cities and counties which allow off-premises sales are prohibited from allowing Sunday liquor sales after 8:00 PM, but may not require retail liquor stores to close before 8:00 PM on other days.[2] No sales are allowed at less than cost.[2] All employees must be at least 21 years of age.[2]

A retail liquor store must be in an area zoned for commercial use, cannot be located within 200 feet (61 m) of a school, college, or church, and cannot have an indoor entrance or an opening which connects with another business.[2] Except for Kansas Lottery tickets (which incidentally can be sold to 18-year-olds), it may not sell any product besides liquor, products or materials included by the manufacturer in the package, and nonalcoholic malt beverages.[2] It may not provide any entertainment, including pinball machines.[2] A prohibition against offering customers free samples of liquor was repealed as of July 1, 2012.[8]

DaFace
07-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Minimum Age of Seller Requirements

What are minimum-age-of-seller policies and how do they work?

Age of seller policies require that servers and clerks at alcohol establishments be of a minimum age in order to serve or sell alcohol.

State laws specify a minimum age for employees who sell or serve alcoholic beverages in a licensed establishment. In most states, seller/servers of alcohol must be at least 18 but younger employees may be allowed to stock coolers with alcohol, bag purchased alcohol, or clear alcoholic beverages from tables. (1)

A few states (for example, Alabama, Alaska, Indiana, Nevada, New Mexico, and Oklahoma) require that servers in bars be of legal minimum drinking age of 21. (1)

Huh. So the kid can put beer on a shelf, but can't take the money?

AustinChief
07-13-2012, 04:47 PM
You're probably right, but I'm just trying to figure out how it would actually be worded. Kids can work a cash register in a family-owned store at any age as far as I know, so that gets around the age-16 minimum there.

In a liquor store, it'd certainly be illegal for a 12 year old to be operating the store, but there's nothing to say that a 12 year old can't be IN the store.

So let's say that a parent is literally standing there watching the entire process from two feet away, but the kid takes the money and puts it in the drawer. Is that the part that's illegal?

Anyway, doesn't really matter in terms of answering the question.

yeah this is how I saw it.. I guess we don't have enough info. I would have a problem if a 12 year old was alone running the store and a parent wasn't there on site supervising to some extent.

philfree
07-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Shop there often?

I think you stake the place out for a while to see what's really going on there.

If the parents are out back smoking meth while they have their child sell the liquor then yeah you should maybe make a call. But if the the girl is just every now and then called upon to run the register then :shrug: Maybe they were eating or something so she was filling in for a few minutes? Would you want to call the cops for that?

blaise
07-13-2012, 04:49 PM
I wouldn't call the cops. I'll just put it that way. I mean, if you were philosophically opposed why did you complete the transaction?

Bearcat
07-13-2012, 04:51 PM
I might say something like, "hey, it's none of my business, but if the wrong person walked in and saw your kid selling alcohol, you could get into deep shit." ...and leave it at that.

Fish
07-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Where the parents present with her?

Pasta Little Brioni
07-13-2012, 05:00 PM
I bet she has a Hawaii ID that says she's 21

Pasta Little Brioni
07-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Hootie just headed for the store high speed with a full bladder. "She had to be 18!! Met her selling me liquor!!!"

Bump
07-13-2012, 05:09 PM
wow, ya turn them in. Someone is gonna rob that little girl and maybe even kill her for money since it's such an easy target. I would totally turn them in just for the kids safety.

Just Passin' By
07-13-2012, 05:10 PM
Why would you even consider calling the po-po over this?

seclark
07-13-2012, 05:11 PM
as long as she knows the difference between a pack of zigzag whites, and those yellow 1.5's, it's ok, i guess.
sec

DaFace
07-13-2012, 05:20 PM
wow, ya turn them in. Someone is gonna rob that little girl and maybe even kill her for money since it's such an easy target. I would totally turn them in just for the kids safety.

I guess my assumption is that she wasn't literally alone in the store. My opinion would change dramatically if that's not the case.
Posted via Mobile Device

TrebMaxx
07-13-2012, 05:29 PM
You should have carded her.

stonedstooge
07-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Why do you hate people from India?

Bump
07-13-2012, 05:33 PM
I guess my assumption is that she wasn't literally alone in the store. My opinion would change dramatically if that's not the case.
Posted via Mobile Device

of course not, but I bet there are times when the parents go in the back in an office or storage to do stuff leaving her out there, making her vulnerable. Either way you look at it, it's pretty irresponsible.

vailpass
07-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Why do you hate people from India?

Good point. If this kid is Indian one of their years equals seven of ours so she's like 90-something and this is a non-issue.

qabbaan
07-13-2012, 05:38 PM
You'd be doing him a favor of you clued him in to what he'd be looking at if the wrong person came into the store.

chasedude
07-13-2012, 05:40 PM
You'd be doing him a favor of you clued him in to what he'd be looking at if the wrong person came into the store.

THIS

kcxiv
07-13-2012, 05:52 PM
I live in Kansas and just went to the liquor store. The store owners have their 12-ish year old daughter checking customers out. That's completely illegal. Should I be a dick and turn them in... or just let it ride?

They do it all the time here in Cali at the arabian owned ones. Always has been. NO one says shit, because their parents/uncle whatever are right there next to them or in the back getting something. I dont really see it as a big deal. I guess the cops could do soemthign about it, if they wanted to be dicks.

scho63
07-14-2012, 03:42 PM
How does this affect you?

Don't be a politically correct douchebag. There are many bigger problems to worry about.

Too many people like you are being a nosy Nancy.

Little Joey was sitting on a park bench munching on one candy bar after another.
After the 6th one a man on the bench across from him said, 'Son, you know eating all that candy isn't good for you. It will give you acne, rot your teeth, cause diabetes, and make you fat.'
Little Joey replied, 'My grandfather lived to be 107 years old.'
The man asked, 'Did your grandfather eat 6 candy bars at a time???'
Little Joey answered, 'No, he minded his own f*cking business.

Mr. Laz
07-14-2012, 03:50 PM
unless she was ALL ALONE in the store ... just let it go.

DanT
07-14-2012, 04:38 PM
I'm under the impression that liquor licenses are not especially easy to get and that the holders of those licenses get to markup their prices accordingly. Part of the regulations concerns the process of controlling alcohol sells to minors, so it seems that a store ought to have effective systems in place to prevent that. I don't think that most Kansans would consider having a 12 year-old kid ringing up the sales to be such a system, but maybe they would. If that liquor store isn't interested in hiring someone to sell the stuff in accordance with the understood laws and customs of the state of Kansas, I hope their prices make it clear that they are foregoing the standard markup used by the sort of liquor stores that follow the law. That's just a simple matter of fairness to the other citizens and business owners who either voted for or bribed the lawmakers who created the regulatory environment in Kansas. ;)

Anyway, I'm not a Kansan. I generally buy my liquor at a grocery store that is routinely ranked as one of the 100 best employers in America (Nugget Markets) or that is the shop in my small town's downtown which has a liquor afficiondo (whom I'm pretty sure is the owner) selling the stuff. If Kansans want to become a more and more corrupt society that has laws that they don't respect but don't bother to repeal, then I hope they are at least getting a bargain out of the deal. ;)

DanT
07-14-2012, 04:40 PM
How does this affect you?

Don't be a politically correct douchebag. There are many bigger problems to worry about.

Too many people like you are being a nosy Nancy.

Little Joey was sitting on a park bench munching on one candy bar after another.
After the 6th one a man on the bench across from him said, 'Son, you know eating all that candy isn't good for you. It will give you acne, rot your teeth, cause diabetes, and make you fat.'

:LOL:

notorious
07-14-2012, 04:54 PM

Awesome.

ghak99
07-14-2012, 05:07 PM
I might say something like, "hey, it's none of my business, but if the wrong person walked in and saw your kid selling alcohol, you could get into deep shit." ...and leave it at that.

:stupid:

:LOL:

Zebedee DuBois
07-14-2012, 05:20 PM
On the face of it, I would agree with Austin that there is nothing morally wrong with a kid helping out with the family business (as long as there is adult supervision).

I am a little surprised at the number of people that have zero problem with a law being broken. This seems like a very close analogy to the illegal immigration arguements, as in "what part of illegal don't you get" and "taking jobs from legal workers".

DaFace
07-14-2012, 05:21 PM
of course not, but I bet there are times when the parents go in the back in an office or storage to do stuff leaving her out there, making her vulnerable. Either way you look at it, it's pretty irresponsible.

Eh, depends on how paranoid you are I guess. Liquor stores do get robbed, but it's a tiny, tiny percentage of them that do. You could argue that letting a 12-year-old be at home alone after school for a couple hours is dangerous as well, but a significant percentage of parents do so out of necessity, and it's rarely a big deal.

I'm one of those who thinks we've gone way too far in being overprotective of our kids to the point that many grow up to suck as adults.

Mr. Laz
07-14-2012, 06:43 PM
This seems like a very close analogy to the illegal immigration arguements, as in "what part of illegal don't you get" and "taking jobs from legal workers".
not even a little close

kcxiv
07-14-2012, 06:49 PM
On the face of it, I would agree with Austin that there is nothing morally wrong with a kid helping out with the family business (as long as there is adult supervision).

I am a little surprised at the number of people that have zero problem with a law being broken. This seems like a very close analogy to the illegal immigration arguements, as in "what part of illegal don't you get" and "taking jobs from legal workers".

Because, to me, its not something evil. I could give a fuck about the laws that other people make. I mean the small stupid ass ones like this one.

Now, if they were selling meth or something out the store, then i'd have an issue. lol one of thier kids or nephews? no i wouldnt, not at all. Chances are they are the ones that will be taking the store over. At least thats how it works here

DTLB58
07-14-2012, 07:11 PM

In a Liquor store? So if there is a sting operation to check to see if they are asking for proper ID, do you think the state is going to allow a 12 year-old in charge of that?

Just Passin' By
07-14-2012, 07:24 PM

The analogy isn't close at all, and not ratting people out about really stupid laws is an American norm.

BillSelfsTrophycase
07-14-2012, 07:44 PM

/Thread

Sofa King
07-14-2012, 07:49 PM

If you HAVE to stick your nose into their business, you just as well do it like this.

Bugeater
07-14-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm under the impression that liquor licenses are not especially easy to get and that the holders of those licenses get to markup their prices accordingly. Part of the regulations concerns the process of controlling alcohol sells to minors, so it seems that a store ought to have effective systems in place to prevent that. I don't think that most Kansans would consider having a 12 year-old kid ringing up the sales to be such a system, but maybe they would. If that liquor store isn't interested in hiring someone to sell the stuff in accordance with the understood laws and customs of the state of Kansas, I hope their prices make it clear that they are foregoing the standard markup used by the sort of liquor stores that follow the law. That's just a simple matter of fairness to the other citizens and business owners who either voted for or bribed the lawmakers who created the regulatory environment in Kansas. ;)

Anyway, I'm not a Kansan. I generally buy my liquor at a grocery store that is routinely ranked as one of the 100 best employers in America (Nugget Markets) or that is the shop in my small town's downtown which has a liquor afficiondo (whom I'm pretty sure is the owner) selling the stuff. If Kansans want to become a more and more corrupt society that has laws that they don't respect but don't bother to repeal, then I hope they are at least getting a bargain out of the deal. ;)
This guy gets it. Liquor licenses are like gold, and risking losing it over something like this is monumentally stupid. And I'm pretty sure part of the reason you have to be of age to sell it is because you have to be old enough to be held responsible for any underage sales. Police do often run stings where they send minors in to attempt to purchase alcohol, can you imagine what would happen if this happened and 12 yr old sold to one? While they couldn't prosecute the kid, that store owner can kiss his license, and his business, goodbye.