PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Does anything less than a playoff appearance = Bye Bye Pioli?

Titty Meat
07-15-2012, 12:44 PM
This isn't a thread bashing Pioli it's simply to encourage discussion.

The Facts:

The Chiefs have finished in last place 2 out of the 3 seasons since Pioli took over.

The Chiefs have averaged 7 wins under the Pioli regime.

The 2009 draft= Fail

The Trade for Matt Cassel turns out it wasn't good.

Already fired one coach missing the playoffs this year with this squad would mean Crennel isn't that good of a coach.

So does anything less than a playoff appearance= failure? If so that would be 3 out of 4 years Pioli has failed. That gets you walking papers with most franchises.

kstater
07-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Peyton Manning

SAUTO
07-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Bump
Posted via Mobile Device

stonedstooge
07-15-2012, 12:47 PM
If Clark's sole goal is to make money, Pioli is his man and he will stay.

ThatRaceCardGuy
07-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Somebody PM me PM`s address....BUMP!

ThatRaceCardGuy
07-15-2012, 12:50 PM

I think the little ****er has a huge ego, which works great for Chiefs fans. When he took over he went out and signed the (perceived) best GM out there. He spent money on what was thought to be a really good QB (**** you clarK!) and has re-signed all of our key players except for Carr. I think the guy wants to win a SB as much as we want this team to win one

Titty Meat
07-15-2012, 12:56 PM
I see the Pioli defenders don't want to take on this subject of what very well could happen given Peyton Manning in the division.

ThatRaceCardGuy
07-15-2012, 12:59 PM
I see the Pioli defenders don't want to take on this subject of what very well could happen given Peyton Manning in the division.

Piloli is an average GM pre Cassell. ..that being said, his love affair with Cassell is setting this franchise back another 5-10 years and the fucker should burn at the stake because of it.

The Franchise
07-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Should it? Yes.
Will it? No.

Ceej
07-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Beermenoonanbieberfever.

notorious
07-15-2012, 01:07 PM
I think that he stays for at least 5 more years. He has done a good job building a team except for one position.

Too bad it's the most important position.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-15-2012, 01:09 PM
I think that he stays for at least 5 more years. He has done a good job building a team except for one position.

I think Clark will give him another opportunity with a different QB then go from there. After that happens, then Clark can make a better decision IMO.

BossChief
07-15-2012, 01:09 PM
It depends on the circumstance.

I'll say that if Cassel hasn't vastly improved by midseason (by game 6, we should know because it's a tough opening stretch) and he is still starting even though we are losing....a change should be seriously debated.

LiveSteam
07-15-2012, 01:10 PM
How about pointing the finger at the HUNT'S? Are they to not responsible for the 40 years of suck that has been KC football?

O.city
07-15-2012, 01:11 PM
I know some people say this, but what exactly should the Hunts do differently?

Canofbier
07-15-2012, 01:13 PM
We were technically last place last year, but it's not nearly the same magnitude of "last place" as the first time. We were as close as making one of two blocked field goals in that horrible game against the Raiders to winning the division for a second consecutive year.

Our team may not be a perennial contender yet, but you can see the progress. Our team was pretty awful when he came aboard, and talent and depth at every position has improved since he arrived (even at QB, arguably). He demonstrated this offseason that he's able to land top-flight free agents (Winston).

Obviously, he's made some mistakes (Cassel's massive contract being the one that stands out the most), but who would we hire when he's gone who would do better? Last year was almost undoubtedly a playoff year before the injuries (and almost was despite them). I expect the Chiefs to do better this year, but suppose they finish 10-6 and miss the playoffs? That's certainly possible, but it's not worth firing Pioli over. If we lay down a massive turd of a season (say, 4-12 or something), then there's more reason to fire him.

LiveSteam
07-15-2012, 01:15 PM
I know some people say this, but what exactly should the Hunts do differently?

I dont know. I wish I had an answer. IMO Hunt's only truly care about $$$$$$$$$$
Putting a product on the field that competes is way down the list of Hunt priorities in IMHO.

O.city
07-15-2012, 01:16 PM
IMO, this is Cassel's make or break year. Actually last year was, but he wiggled out of that somehow.

Pioli has put a pretty good roster together, but IMO some of his mess ups have been bigger than his successes. If he messes this up with Bowe and we miss the playoffs, that oculd be the dagger.

notorious
07-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Our team was pretty awful when he came aboard, and talent and depth at every position has improved since he arrived (even at QB, arguably).

People seem to forget this too often.

O.city
07-15-2012, 01:17 PM
I dont know. I wish I had an answer. IMO Hunt's only truly care about $$$$$$$$$$
Putting a product on the field that competes is way down the list of Hunt priorities in IMHO.

I was just wondering.

Alot of people say "Blame the Hunts", which is entirely possible that it is their fault. However I don't know what owners can do in this situation to change.

beach tribe
07-15-2012, 01:18 PM

How does this make ANY sense. Wins= season ticket holders, and more money. So I guess you meant if Clark wants to win, then Pioli is his man, and I have to agree. Even though I know that's not what you meant.
To answer the OP, I would have to say yes. If we do not make the POs, Pioli should at least be on the hot seat.
Man, if wasn't for one position, there really wouldn't be a reason for anyone to say shit. Pioli has done an awesome job at just about everything else, and i know he sees Cassel's short comings because he's done everything he would seemingly need to do put Cassel in position to succeed, and I believe he's gonna have a better season than 2010, no matter how bad we hate him.
Winston, and the running game are going to have more impact than people here realize.

Trivers
07-15-2012, 01:24 PM

/end of thread. Well stated.

beach tribe
07-15-2012, 01:25 PM

Again. More wins = more money. SBs = big time bucks. Winning, and making are one in the same.
How someone could believe that clark doesn't want to win regardless of his motives is beyond me.

Ace Gunner
07-15-2012, 01:26 PM
I don't think there has been anything to convict Pioli on that would call for a firing anytime soon. He's taken on a huge task imo and done fair with it. I would have parted ways with Cassel as a starter and let it be an open comp now during this whole off season/ota/tc, but he thinks Cassel can get them going again. Got to wait see on that.

Much as you guys don't want to admit it, Cassel has enough talent to at least go to the playoffs with this talented team, but a lot is riding on the regained performance of Jamaal Charles & Eric Berry, Moeaki too, to some degree. Point is, he did it once already with the Chiefs and I think we can agree this year's team should be a bit more talented than the 2010 team.

If Cassel can in fact keep that INT # down while striking once or twice a game, the Chiefs will have a winning season, I would expect. Sorry to say. I hate watching that baseball wind up of his, but if he gets the job done, it will be hard to criticize Pioli for sticking with him another season imo. Maybe Daboll can get these wideouts to get off the ball more quickly and that would help Cassel in the passing game.

I don't expect the Chiefs to do well, myself and I expect Cassel to choke out this season. RC will pull him by season's end. Late in the season after they lose WC/Playoff contention. Maybe game 12, something like that.

LiveSteam
07-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Again. More wins = more money. SBs = big time bucks. Winning, and making are one in the same.
How someone could believe that clark doesn't want to win regardless of his motives is beyond me.

He wants to win. But does he want to spend the cash that it takes to put a winner on the field? 40 years of broken down hasbeen's

BoneKrusher
07-15-2012, 02:29 PM
wont happen but should happen.

RunKC
07-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Look at Pioli's draft this year. All developmental guys.

He isn't going anywhere.

Bearcat
07-15-2012, 02:36 PM

Well, there was a significant increase in season ticket after they simply made the playoffs a couple of years ago, and that's not incredibly difficult in today's NFL. I'm sure he wants them to be successful enough to sell out Arrowhead, avoid blackouts, etc... but, that doesn't mean he's passionate about winning a Super Bowl.

R8RFAN
07-15-2012, 02:43 PM
No matter what kinda season the Chiefs have... If that stadium is full every week Pioli & Cassell will be there until they retire

Ebolapox
07-15-2012, 02:46 PM
N A G G E R

Bowser
07-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Probably not, even though it probably should. Anything under 6-10 SHOULD get him fired, though.

Bearcat
07-15-2012, 02:58 PM
No matter what kinda season the Chiefs have... If that stadium is full every week Pioli & Cassell will be there until they retire

And we're a pretty fickle bunch, so another 9-7/10-6 season and first round playoff exit should do it.

OnTheWarpath15
07-15-2012, 03:00 PM

The stadium hasn't been anywhere near full on a regular basic since 2006.

07-15-2012, 03:04 PM
I don't think there has been anything to convict Pioli on that would call for a firing anytime soon. He's taken on a huge task imo and done fair with it. I would have parted ways with Cassel as a starter and let it be an open comp now during this whole off season/ota/tc, but he thinks Cassel can get them going again. Got to wait see on that.

Much as you guys don't want to admit it, Cassel has enough talent to at least go to the playoffs with this talented team, but a lot is riding on the regained performance of Jamaal Charles & Eric Berry, Moeaki too, to some degree. Point is, he did it once already with the Chiefs and I think we can agree this year's team should be a bit more talented than the 2010 team.

If Cassel can in fact keep that INT # down while striking once or twice a game, the Chiefs will have a winning season, I would expect. Sorry to say. I hate watching that baseball wind up of his, but if he gets the job done, it will be hard to criticize Pioli for sticking with him another season imo. Maybe Daboll can get these wideouts to get off the ball more quickly and that would help Cassel in the passing game.

I don't expect the Chiefs to do well, myself and I expect Cassel to choke out this season. RC will pull him by season's end. Late in the season after they lose WC/Playoff contention. Maybe game 12, something like that.

yeah, well I dont' want to just go to the playoffs. I want to win a damn superbowl and Cassel will NEVER do that.

Titty Meat
07-15-2012, 03:11 PM
The stadium hasn't been anywhere near full on a regular basic since 2006.

That's sad but the corporate dollars/renovation killed the Arrowhead experience.

okcchief
07-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Since he's hitched his wagon to Cassel he deserves to go down with him.

07-15-2012, 03:18 PM
That's sad but the corporate dollars/renovation killed the Arrowhead experience.

Renovation only killed the club level.

Bowser
07-15-2012, 03:20 PM

It's nice as hell up there, but you feel like you're anywhere but a pro football game.

07-15-2012, 03:22 PM
It's nice as hell up there, but you feel like you're anywhere but a pro football game.

Thats why I wish they would just put up tinted glass on that level. the majority of the people on that level aren't there to watch the game in the elements anyway.

R8RFAN
07-15-2012, 03:24 PM
And we're a pretty fickle bunch, so another 9-7/10-6 season and first round playoff exit should do it.

Win a couple games in a row and everybody will be on Cassells sack like a fat kid on a jelly doughnut. Then the cycle resets again.

mlyonsd
07-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Win a couple games in a row and everybody will be on Cassells sack like a fat kid on a jelly doughnut. Then the cycle resets again.No I think that ship has sailed. I'm as easy going as it gets when it comes to letting the GM/Coach pick their players but even I'm at the point we need a different direction at QB.

07-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Win a couple games in a row and everybody will be on Cassells sack like a fat kid on a jelly doughnut. Then the cycle resets again.

The average fan maybe. Not CP fans.

Trivers
07-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Thats why I wish they would just put up tinted glass on that level. the majority of the people on that level aren't there to watch the game in the elements anyway.

They did that in Green Bay. TOTALLY ruins the experience. Might as well as stay home and watch on big screen.

sedated
07-15-2012, 03:28 PM
As much as I hate Casshole, Im almost paying more attention to the rookies and 2nd year guys to evaluate Pioli. If they all become productive and/or stars, then we have the foundation of a dynasty. Assuming we get a good QB, of course, and I dont think Pioli is as ready to go down with Cassel as many here think.

sedated
07-15-2012, 03:28 PM

Apparently you werent here 2 years ago.

Titty Meat
07-15-2012, 03:30 PM

Didn't all ticket prices go up after the renovations?

Anyway the MNF was cool but the other games felt different.

Oh and the PA announcer sucks the old one kicked ass.

07-15-2012, 03:31 PM
They did that in Green Bay. TOTALLY ruins the experience. Might as well as stay home and watch on big screen.
The people buying tickets on those levels aren't there for the game anyway. Not now at least. They would rather be inside watching the game on TV. Makes no fucking sense to me at all.

the club level is an absolute embarrassment now.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Nope

mcaj22
07-15-2012, 03:33 PM
if we win a couple games in a row it will be because of the defense, the return of Berry and his impact or things like Charles and Hillis or Bowe, someone of actual talent putting the team on his back and making up for the awful hindrance at QB.

Nobody is going to get behind Cassel because he threw for 190 yards with 1 touchdown and 1 pick and won us a couple games in a row with those averages.

He will never go out there and throw a 70 percent game with a 400 yard average and 3 or 4 touchdowns to boot, in a hot streak where he single handed wins us games, like an Eli or Aaron Rodgers or Peyton, or Brees or any QB on a good team, can do.

Bugeater
07-15-2012, 03:33 PM
If we have a bad season Pioli will just throw Crennel under the bus.

milkman
07-15-2012, 03:36 PM
We were technically last place last year, but it's not nearly the same magnitude of "last place" as the first time. We were as close as making one of two blocked field goals in that horrible game against the Raiders to winning the division for a second consecutive year.

Our team may not be a perennial contender yet, but you can see the progress. Our team was pretty awful when he came aboard, and talent and depth at every position has improved since he arrived (even at QB, arguably). He demonstrated this offseason that he's able to land top-flight free agents (Winston).

Obviously, he's made some mistakes (Cassel's massive contract being the one that stands out the most), but who would we hire when he's gone who would do better? Last year was almost undoubtedly a playoff year before the injuries (and almost was despite them). I expect the Chiefs to do better this year, but suppose they finish 10-6 and miss the playoffs? That's certainly possible, but it's not worth firing Pioli over. If we lay down a massive turd of a season (say, 4-12 or something), then there's more reason to fire him.

Pioli has taken on a rebuilding project that involves doing it the old fashioned way.

Through the draft.

That takes time.

The problem, aside from the most obvious, is that the foundation of that project was drafted by the previous regime.

We've already lost one piece of that foundation in Carr, and Bowe might well be the next piece.

I still contend that his 2010 draft was not nearly the great draft that others seem to believe it to be.

Dexter McCluster is just a guy, and Javier Arenas is a great 4th round pick, that we took in the second round.

I also still contend that this team would be further along if Bill KuHarich had been promoted to the GM spot, and Herman fucking Edwards had been replaced with Ron Rivera, who I wanted the most at that time, or Jim Swartz.

Of course, that would not have happened, given Clark Hunt's affinity for Herman fucking Edwards.

So at the end of the day, the man most responsible for all this shit is Hunt, as has been the case for the last 40 years.

Titty Meat
07-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Pioli has taken on a rebuilding project that involves doing it the old fashioned way.

Through the draft.

That takes time.

The problem, aside from the most obvious, is that the foundation of that project was drafted by the previous regime.

We've already lost one piece of that foundation in Carr, and Bowe might well be the next piece.

I still contend that his 2010 draft was not nearly the great draft that others seem to believe it to be.

Dexter McCluster is just a guy, and Javier Arenas is a great 4th round pick, that we took in the second round.

I also still contend that this team would be further along if Bill KuHarich had been promoted to the GM spot, and Herman ****ing Edwards had been replaced with Ron Rivera, who I wanted the most at that time, or Jim Swartz.

Of course, that would not have happened, given Clark Hunt's affinity for Herman ****ing Edwards.

So at the end of the day, the man most responsible for all this shit is Hunt, as has been the case for the last 40 years.

Would you fire Pioli and lure a guy like Andy Reid who will be fired after this year?

LiveSteam
07-15-2012, 03:39 PM

:hail:

07-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Hunt, the man that lost his balls after the Chiefs only superbowl win.

mcaj22
07-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Andy Reid will never be fired

milkman
07-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Would you fire Pioli and lure a guy like Andy Reid who will be fired after this year?

No.

I've always felt that Reid was overrated, and that Jimmy Johnson was the biggest reason for Reid's success.

My first choice today, as it was when Carl was fired, would be to lure Eric DeCosta to KC.

07-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Andy Reid will never be fired

Which is amazing considering its phickle Philly phans.

mcaj22
07-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Which is amazing considering its phickle Philly phans.

I also hear "Fire Charlie Manuel and Fire Doug Collins" all the time too from the same Philly fans

okcchief
07-15-2012, 03:54 PM

It would take at least one playoff win with Cassel performing well. Don't hold your breath.

07-15-2012, 03:57 PM
It would take at least one playoff win with Cassel performing well. Don't hold your breath.

playoff - win - cassel - well

one of these does not belong.

Bowser
07-15-2012, 04:00 PM
IIRC, Milkman wanted DeCosta back in 2009.

Bugeater
07-15-2012, 04:02 PM
IIRC, Milkman wanted DeCosta back in 2009.
Great memory. He posted that 14 minutes ago.

07-15-2012, 04:04 PM
Great memory. He posted that 14 minutes ago.

LMAO

BigMeatballDave
07-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Ask Clark

Sannyasi
07-15-2012, 04:22 PM
I hadn't really considered the possibility of this being Pioli's last season, but the more I think about it its harder for me to justify keeping him around if Crennel and the team fail this year.

Its like Groundhogs Day where Pioli continues to repeat his biggest mistake year after year, trotting out Matt Cassel and hoping this season will be different. Its maddening.

saphojunkie
07-15-2012, 04:23 PM
My question is, if Pioli gets rid of Cassel, then will you still hate him? If Romeo pulls Cassel after the bye week, and we draft a QB in the first round next year, someone like Tyler Bray or Logan Thomas, will you still hate Pioli?

Because he will have done what no Chiefs GM has done for thirty years.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-15-2012, 04:27 PM
AFC West Champs

BoneKrusher
07-15-2012, 04:31 PM
My question is, if Pioli gets rid of Cassel, then will you still hate him? If Romeo pulls Cassel after the bye week, and we draft a QB in the first round next year, someone like Tyler Bray or Logan Thomas, will you still hate Pioli?

the only things i dont like about the job Pioli's done in KC so far was trading for Cassel, Hiring Haley and bustin Bowes Balls.

if he gets rid of Cassel, i'll forgive him. :D

Pasta Little Brioni
07-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Ricky Stanzi

Sannyasi
07-15-2012, 04:40 PM

It would eliminate my biggest complaint about Pioli's tenure, but I'd continue to wonder why it took him three years to figure out something that the rest of us knew in the beginning, in regards to Cassel's (in)ability at quarterback.

ChiefsCountry
07-15-2012, 04:45 PM
My first choice today, as it was when Carl was fired, would be to lure Eric DeCosta to KC.

I wonder how different our roster would be today with DeCosta and Rex Ryan running the show. Or DeCosta and Jim Schwartz.

philfree
07-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Does anything less than a playoff appearance = Bye Bye Pioli?

NO.

milkman
07-15-2012, 04:50 PM
I wonder how different our roster would be today with DeCosta and Rex Ryan running the show. Or DeCosta and Jim Schwartz.

Don't really like the idea of Rex Ryan as coach.

Overall, I like the approach that Pioli, and Martin Mayhew, have taken in building.

The difference is that Mayhew had less to start with, but he drafted Matt Stafford and hired Swartz, so the Lions, who were worse than the Chiefs at the time Pioli and Mayhew took over their respective teams, are well ahead of the Chiefs.

OnTheWarpath15
07-15-2012, 05:09 PM

Overall, I like the approach that Pioli, and Martin Mayhew, have taken in building.

The difference is that Mayhew had less to start with, but he drafted Matt Stafford and hired Swartz, so the Lions, who were worse than the Chiefs at the time Pioli and Mayhew took over their respective teams, are well ahead of the Chiefs.

I remember when I said this back in 2010, and was laughed at.

philfree
07-15-2012, 05:24 PM

I'm not saying One GM is better then the other but draft position is king when it comes to a rebuild like the Chiefs and Lions(They've been rebuilding forever.) have been going through. One or two spots toward the top of the draft can make a huge difference. We had no chance at Stafford or any other legit QB prospect where we've picked at the top of the draft.

OnTheWarpath15
07-15-2012, 05:26 PM
I'm not saying One GM is better then the other but draft position is king when it comes to a rebuild like the Chiefs and Lions(They've been rebuilding forever.) have been going through. One or two spots toward the top of the draft can make a huge difference. We had no chance at Stafford or any other legit QB prospect where we've picked at the top of the draft.

Yeah, and Washington had no chance at RGIII from where they picked.

No more excuses.

O.city
07-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Of course the Lions are in a better spot than we are. They were "lucky" enough to figure out/draft a franchise qb who happens to be a stud. Add that to the fact that they drafted top 5 in what seems like 10 drafts in a row.

Until we get a quarterback to lead the ship, we are worse off than teams that have one, no matter the rest of the roster.

OnTheWarpath15
07-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Oh, and this board went out of their way to claim this asshole as the greatest GM in professional sports, so a playoff appearance in Year Four is letting him off the hook.

Ace Gunner
07-15-2012, 05:31 PM

I think the Lions were well ahead of the Chiefs in 2009 and still slightly ahead now, which means Pioli is gaining on Mayhew.

philfree
07-15-2012, 05:32 PM

No more excuses.

It's not an excuse just reality.

Do you think we could have traded up for Stafford? I don't. :shrug:

Pasta Little Brioni
07-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Neither has won a playoff game, so no sucking thier dicks just yet. They still employ Gun for fuck's sake.

I wanted Stafford so bad in the draft that year. Damn the Lions for out sucking KC that year. Our consolation prize would have been Sanchez. YIPEEEE!!!!

BigMeatballDave
07-15-2012, 05:33 PM
I think the Lions were well ahead of the Chiefs in 2009 and still slightly ahead now, which means Pioli is gaining on Mayhew.

I'd say Detroit is more than slightly ahead of KC.

Why?

Matt Stafford.

OnTheWarpath15
07-15-2012, 05:34 PM
It's not an excuse just reality.

Do you think we could have traded up for Stafford? I don't. :shrug:

Did you forget that you said "or any other legit QB prospect", or was it better for your argument not to mention it again?

It is an excuse.

milkman
07-15-2012, 05:35 PM

The fact is, it was reported that the Lions made an offer to the Patriots for Matt Cassel.

Pioli outbid them.

If Pioli, who should have had a better idea of what Matt Cassel really was, stayed away from that trade, and the Lions got Cassel, it's entirely possible that the Chiefs could have traded up to the Lions spot in that draft for Stafford.

So, at the end of the day, there is no excuse.

WilliamTheIrish
07-15-2012, 05:35 PM

No more excuses.

It kills me that a great % of the fanbase doesn't understand to this day that you have to at least try to draft a FQB.

And no, Clark won't fire Pioli after a(nother) losing, non playoff season.

O.city
07-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Say we make the playoffs this year, that gives Pioli a 50% go of making the playoffs as a GM.

Likely if we don't lose our two best players last year for the entire year, we have a good chance of being in the playoffs last year.

I'd say he's done a better job than some around here give him credit for, but he's also had a few colossal fuck ups, add to that the fact that he's so stubborn.

So I'm torn on the matter. You aren't going to get good by rebuilding every 4 or 5 years, but you also aren't getting to the level you want if you aren't building right.

philfree
07-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Did you forget that you said "or any other legit QB prospect", or was it better for your argument not to mention it again?

It is an excuse.

Who did we have a chance at?

Yeah you're right though draft position doesn't really matter.

milkman
07-15-2012, 05:38 PM

The 2009 Lions, who finished the 2007 season with a perfect 0-16 record were ahead of the Chiefs?

O.city
07-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Who did we have a chance at?

Yeah you're right though draft position doesn't really matter.

We had a chance at basically anybody.

If you have a guy you like, go get the guy. Trade picks.

A franchise qb is worth more, IMO, than a couple first round picks.

philfree
07-15-2012, 05:42 PM
The fact is, it was reported that the Lions made an offer to the Patriots for Matt Cassel.

Pioli outbid them.

If Pioli, who should have had a better idea of what Matt Cassel really was, stayed away from that trade, and the Lions got Cassel, it's entirely possible that the Chiefs could have traded up to the Lions spot in that draft for Stafford.

So, at the end of the day, there is no excuse.

I'd like to see the real reports about that. I don't remember hearing that before but that doesn't mean it isn't true but I think Stafford was their guy all along. Hell they could have got Cassel for less then the Chiefs and then drafted Stafford too. From what I recall the Lions were not going to pass on Stafford at any point.

R8RFAN
07-15-2012, 05:43 PM
I love you

http://www.usclegends.org/images/legends/matt-cassell.jpg

philfree
07-15-2012, 05:43 PM
We had a chance at basically anybody.

If you have a guy you like, go get the guy. Trade picks.

A franchise qb is worth more, IMO, than a couple first round picks.

Yeah we could have went Ditka I guess.

milkman
07-15-2012, 06:01 PM
I'd like to see the real reports about that. I don't remember hearing that before but that doesn't mean it isn't true but I think Stafford was their guy all along. Hell they could have got Cassel for less then the Chiefs and then drafted Stafford too. From what I recall the Lions were not going to pass on Stafford at any point.

Whether or not the report is true, the fact is that Pioli, who had daily access to Cassel in his three years as a Patriot backup leaves Pioli with no excuse for that mistake.

He needed to do what ever was necessary to get after a franchise QB.

He went the safe route.

philfree
07-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Whether or not the report is true, the fact is that Pioli, who had daily access to Cassel in his three years as a Patriot backup leaves Pioli with no excuse for that mistake.

He needed to do what ever was necessary to get after a franchise QB.

He went the safe route.

We could have gotten Sanchex over Cassel but that was about it.

We could have tried to have gone Ditka for Stafford but the Lions would have probably said no thanks. They simply were not going to pass on the guy. So which franchise QB did we let slip away?

OnTheWarpath15
07-15-2012, 06:15 PM
:facepalm:

milkman
07-15-2012, 06:16 PM
We could have gotten Sanchex over Cassel but that was about it.

We could have tried to have gone Ditka for Stafford but the Lions would have probably said no thanks. They simply were not going to pass on the guy. So which franchise QB did we let slip away?

I've been down this road before.

I'm sick and tired of taking on someone else's retreads and castoffs.

You draft a guy out of college, whether it's Sanchez or Freeman, and you try to develop.

If that fails, you try again.

philfree
07-15-2012, 06:32 PM

You draft a guy out of college, whether it's Sanchez or Freeman, and you try to develop.

I'm all for drafting a franchise QB if ones available. I don't think it's a good plan to throw 1st round picks against the wall over and over on suspect prospects though.

Titty Meat
07-15-2012, 07:42 PM
I think Kevin Whaley former Pittsburgh guy now with Buffalo might be the ideal guy if Pioli fails this year.

Don't get me wrong I'm excited for this season but how the fuck can anyone be surprised if we miss the playoffs with cassel daboll and crennel. This is what the greatest GM gets us?

SAUTO
07-15-2012, 07:44 PM
As much as I hate Casshole, Im almost paying more attention to the rookies and 2nd year guys to evaluate Pioli. If they all become productive and/or stars, then we have the foundation of a dynasty. Assuming we get a good QB, of course, and I dont think Pioli is as ready to go down with Cassel as many here think. this, good post
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman
07-15-2012, 07:45 PM
I think Kevin Whaley former Pittsburgh guy now with Buffalo might be the ideal guy if Pioli fails this year.

Don't get me wrong I'm excited for this season but how the **** can anyone be surprised if we miss the playoffs with cassel daboll and crennel. This is what the greatest GM gets us?
At the end of the day, an OC is only as good as the talent he's given to work with.This is all on Pioli.

Rain Man
07-15-2012, 07:46 PM

Yep. That's where I fall. Draft, draft, draft until you find The Chosen One.

BigMeatballDave
07-15-2012, 07:49 PM
At the end of the day, an OC is only as good as the talent he's given to work with.This is all on Pioli.

Pretty much.

Daboll doesnt have a good track record at all but it doesnt really matter if you have solid players that execute well.

Which we have, for the most part, save one position...

RunKC
07-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Sanchez and Freeman would have failed miserably with the talent we had in 2009. I doubt they'd be much better than Cassel.

Pioli needs to be all in for a QB next April unless Cassel pulls a 2011 Alex Smith to justify him not doing it.

O.city
07-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Sanchez and Freeman would have failed miserably with the talent we had in 2009. I doubt they'd be much better than Cassel.

Pioli needs to be all in for a QB next April unless Cassel pulls a 2011 Alex Smith to justify him not doing it.

They probably would have failed but that's not the problem.

Say they failed then, now, when our window with the talent we have acquired is to open, we aren't having to groom a young quarterback or hope our manager doesn't fuck it up.

RunKC
07-15-2012, 08:00 PM
They probably would have failed but that's not the problem.

Say they failed then, now, when our window with the talent we have acquired is to open, we aren't having to groom a young quarterback or hope our manager doesn't **** it up.

I'm not worried about Pioli building the roster. He's done a great job. I have no worry off him replacing Bowe, Hali, DJ with good players via the draft or free agency.

O.city
07-15-2012, 08:02 PM
I'm not worried about Pioli building the roster. He's done a great job. I have no worry off him replacing Bowe, Hali, DJ with good players via the draft or free agency.

Ok.

Good to know I guess. I don't have a problem thinking he can build the roster. He's done a good job thus far.

His problem is that he did it bass ackwards and didn't get the qb first. Or well, he did, just the wrong one.

Dayze
07-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Trolls abound !

Ace Gunner
07-15-2012, 08:23 PM
The 2009 Lions, who finished the 2007 season with a perfect 0-16 record were ahead of the Chiefs?

While I am a believer in "you are what your record says you are" the fine line between 0 - 16 and 2 - 14 isn't worth arguing over.

When I watched the Lions play with Stafford that year and compared what I saw from them with the what I saw from the Chiefs that season, the Lions were quite a bit better.

The Lions were in a tough division then, facing Jared Allen & co plus Aaron Rodgers & co. and the Bears were decent then. The Chiefs were in perhaps the weakest division in the NFL.