PDA

View Full Version : Electronics I need help connecting PS3 to wifi

Mama Hip Rockets
07-16-2012, 10:36 PM
I recently switched internet companies, and they moved my wireless router into another room, so the ethernet is no longer connected to the PS3. I feel like a damn fool, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get this thing connected wirelessly. I've been looking all over the internet, and everything says to click

settings>internet connection settings>wireless

The problem is, when I click "internet connection settings, it says "connect an ethernet cable" and won't let me move any further. I have an older model of PS3.

I even bought this wifi adapter (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0PG08B7989) that was supposed to help, and it didn't come with any directions whatsoever. It gave a website from which I could supposedly download a user manual, but the site does not exist.

Can anybody help me out here?

07-16-2012, 10:38 PM
use the down button when you see connect an ethernet cable. Should move you to connect wirelessly.

Mama Hip Rockets
07-16-2012, 10:41 PM
use the down button when you see connect an ethernet cable. Should move you to connect wirelessly.

Nope, that doesn't work. Just a screen that says "connect an ethernet cable" with no option to do anything else.

Quesadilla Joe
07-16-2012, 10:50 PM
You can try buying something like this

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-XE102-Wall-Plugged-Ethernet-Bridge/dp/B0002IHP58

Mama Hip Rockets
07-16-2012, 11:08 PM
You can try buying something like this

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-XE102-Wall-Plugged-Ethernet-Bridge/dp/B0002IHP58

Let's pretend I'm not rich. Then what could I try?

Johnny Vegas
07-16-2012, 11:11 PM
connect to the internet with the ethernet cable first. download and install the updates then give it another try.

Quesadilla Joe
07-16-2012, 11:14 PM
Let's pretend I'm not rich. Then what could I try?

I've never seen that before. I go to Network Settings, Internet Connection Settings, and then choose Custom. Sorry I couldn't help.

Johnny Vegas
07-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Its weird because there's a wifi that comes standard in all ps3's. So buying a wifi adapter isn't necessary.

Mama Hip Rockets
07-16-2012, 11:26 PM
Its weird because there's a wifi that comes standard in all ps3's. So buying a wifi adapter isn't necessary.

That's what I keep hearing. But mine is really old. I bought it shortly after PS3s came out. I'm wondering if the older models didn't have the standard wifi yet.

Johnny Vegas
07-16-2012, 11:37 PM
That's what I keep hearing. But mine is really old. I bought it shortly after PS3's came out. I'm wondering if the older models didn't have the standard wifi yet.

yup they did. They had everything from day 1. In fact the older models have more options than the brand new ones. Mine doesn't have the memory cards like the older models, but thats about it. They did have wifi though. It was definitely a selling point for it.

TinyEvel
07-17-2012, 01:32 AM
When you turn on your PS3 keep you ringer pressed down on the button in front until you hear it beep a second time (about 10 seconds) It should prompt you to select a monitor resolution, once you do that go to the settings menu and see if wifi is an option.

You don't need that wifi adapter in the OP either, your PS3 has it built-in. If the above doesn't get you to a screen you can make work, I would follow the advice to hook up the ethernet cable and download the system update from the settings menu.

Rausch
07-17-2012, 03:40 AM
That's what I keep hearing. But mine is really old. I bought it shortly after PS3's came out. I'm wondering if the older models didn't have the standard wifi yet.

They do.

Hell, I shelled out extra and bribed a Wal-Mart-tard to get one of the old machines that played PS1/PS2/PS3 games.

Thing still runs like a champ and works great wireless...

ZootedGranny
07-17-2012, 07:06 AM

It's possible. The PS3 launched with a 20 gig model that didn't have wifi capabilities. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Model_comparison)

Mama Hip Rockets
07-17-2012, 12:52 PM
It's possible. The PS3 launched with a 20 gig model that didn't have wifi capabilities. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Model_comparison)

Aha. Just went and found the PS3 box in my attic. Sure enough, it is a 20GB model and the box says "this product does not support Wifi connectivity."

So, what's my next move? Does this mean that I can't even use the Wifi adapter that I bought?

griZZly64
07-17-2012, 01:02 PM
lol... that wireless adapter you bought is completely useless for what you're trying to do. The purpose of that adapter is to plug it into a computer that has internet service. It then uses the internet connection from the computer to send a wifi signal to wifi enabled products.

Mama Hip Rockets
07-17-2012, 01:33 PM
lol... that wireless adapter you bought is completely useless for what you're trying to do. The purpose of that adapter is to plug it into a computer that has internet service. It then uses the internet connection from the computer to send a wifi signal to wifi enabled products.

Dammit.

07-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Dammit.

See what you get for going cheap. :D

Kidding. You spent more than enough if you bought a launch bundle.

QuikSsurfer
07-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Jesus.. stop being an idiot and purchasing all these worthless accessories. You don't need any of this shit. Take your PS3 and hook it up to your modem/router via ethernet, download the latest firmware updates, and then follow the steps you've been told. Wireless is an option.

I can't believe you've purchased a wireless USB adapter for a device that has wireless built-in....

EDIT: Just read that you have an old 20GB phat model... That's unfortunate. I never knew they made a PS3 without wifi. Well that's what you get for being a cheap bastard :)