PDA

View Full Version : Life First ever 5k

luv
07-20-2012, 09:23 PM
I know. Another luv thread. This is kind of a big deal for me. I know it's not a half marathon or whatever, but this is a goal I set for myself this year that I'm about to accomplish. I'm just super excited. Wish me luck!

pr_capone
07-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Evolve27's bumps > Luv threads

pr_capone
07-20-2012, 09:24 PM
/i keed

That is actually really awesome. Hope you do well. I haven't been able to run any long distance in years. Combination fat / knee injury.

luv
07-20-2012, 09:27 PM
I know I will finish. I know I won't place in any prizes. My goal is to not walk.

Munson
07-20-2012, 09:31 PM
Good luck!

I can't even run 5 feet without running out of breath. :)

Chief Pote
07-20-2012, 09:33 PM
You go Luv and do your best.

Rain Man
07-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Run like the loss control people at Nordstrom's are chasing you!

Phobia
07-20-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm thrilled for you. It is a big deal. Don't apologize for accomplishing something.

Sucky
07-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Good luck and have fun!

LiveSteam
07-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Way to get after 1 of your goals.

Red Beans
07-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Well bully old gal! I think that's pretty sweet that you're doing that. I'm a huge advocated of the distance run and used to hit a 5k on the treadmill everyday at lunch. Stupid knee has limited the 5k to once or twice a week right now, so run that one for me.

mr. tegu
07-20-2012, 10:41 PM
The first $5,000 are the hardest.

Bump
07-20-2012, 11:00 PM
this is the first time you've ever ran 5 miles?

tk13
07-20-2012, 11:04 PM

It's a 5k, it's 5,000 miles. Let's see you do it.

DeezNutz
07-20-2012, 11:11 PM
I know.

Killer hook. /CP

Bump
07-20-2012, 11:22 PM

um, no, it's not 5000 miles, lol

DeezNutz
07-20-2012, 11:23 PM
um, no, it's not 5000 miles, lol

She paid $5,000 to participate? Whoa.

Bump
07-20-2012, 11:25 PM
She paid $5,000 to participate? Whoa.

I dont know man, they call a K like 1000 feet I think dude. or a mile, I cant remember. But she aint running from colorado to Maine dude.

Bugeater
07-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Dude, don't be pulling his leg like that. It's actually 5,000 kilometers, which is a mere 3,106 miles.

DeezNutz
07-20-2012, 11:27 PM
But she aint running from colorado to Maine dude.

No balls if she doesn't.

Bugeater
07-20-2012, 11:27 PM
I dont know man, they call a K like 1000 feet I think dude. or a mile, I cant remember. But she aint running from colorado to Maine dude.
Colorado to Maine is only 2,301 miles.

Bump
07-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Colorado to Maine is only 2,301 miles.

lol, ok then. She aint running from color ado to africa then

Phobia
07-20-2012, 11:35 PM

She might but it ain't happenin tomorrow.

Bump
07-20-2012, 11:35 PM
or lol a K is a kilometer, damn I'm high, hahahaa

Phobia
07-20-2012, 11:36 PM
For the record, if I were ever going to take up running 5ks, I would probably schedule that first one in November or March. Screw July... says the idiot going to play 7 games of softball in 102 degrees tomorrow.

Buehler445
07-20-2012, 11:52 PM
For the record, if I were ever going to take up running 5ks, I would probably schedule that first one in November or March. Screw July... says the idiot going to play 7 games of softball in 102 degrees tomorrow.

Yo gonna die honkey!

Congrats luv. 5K isn't all that bad. Just set your pace and push through the second mile. That's the tough one.

BWillie
07-20-2012, 11:55 PM
I can barely run three blocks to the 711 by my house to get some donuts. One of these days maybe ill have to start running and doing cardio but still thin 4 now

BillSelfsTrophycase
07-21-2012, 12:01 AM
Fuck the metric system

Bugeater
07-21-2012, 12:06 AM
Fuck the metric system
Brace yourself for the OMG IT'S A SUPERIOR SYSTEM crowd.

Phobia
07-21-2012, 12:16 AM
You know the funniest thing about this though? Luv is gonna pay $30-40 to run this thing tomorrow and they're going to throw her a $6 tee-shirt.

If she waits an hour, she can run for free and go buy a nice teeshirt and case of beer.

tk13
07-21-2012, 12:30 AM

WE'RE TOO GOOD FOR YOUR FANCY LOGICAL SYSTEM OF MEASUREMENT AND DISTANCE, SO WE'RE GOING TO INVENT AN ENTIRELY NEW SYSTEM! IT'S NOT EVEN GOING TO MAKE ANY FREAKING SENSE! WHO CARES? AMERICA!

WV
07-21-2012, 01:00 AM
You know the funniest thing about this though? Luv is gonna pay $30-40 to run this thing tomorrow and they're going to throw her a $6 tee-shirt.

If she waits an hour, she can run for free and go buy a nice teeshirt and case of beer.

Try $183 to run Tough Mudder and I'm signed up for my 2nd! Prices are usually a little high for these type things but typically it goes to a good cause.

Good luck Luv!

BillSelfsTrophycase
07-21-2012, 01:09 AM
WE'RE TOO GOOD FOR YOUR FANCY LOGICAL SYSTEM OF MEASUREMENT AND DISTANCE, SO WE'RE GOING TO INVENT AN ENTIRELY NEW SYSTEM! IT'S NOT EVEN GOING TO MAKE ANY FREAKING SENSE! WHO CARES? AMERICA!

Royale with cheese

SPchief
07-21-2012, 01:45 AM

Stupid charities.

Phobia
07-21-2012, 01:57 AM
Stupid charities.

Ah yes. I'm completely anti-charity.

luv
07-21-2012, 05:24 AM

When I went to pick up my packet and tshirt yesterday, there was a woman handing out tickets to a Springfield Cardinals game. I got four general admission tickets. Normally $6 each, that's $24 (wow, I can do math!). Registration fee to run was $20, so I'm okay. :)

big nasty kcnut
07-21-2012, 05:26 AM
Good luv. Stay cool and hydrated.

luv
07-21-2012, 05:27 AM

It would be, if I was running 5 miles. 5k = approximately 3.1 miles. That I do on a fairly regular basis. This is just my first official "competition".

luv
07-21-2012, 05:28 AM
Luckily, this is the coolest morning we've had in a while. Not that it's cool, but still.

BoneKrusher
07-21-2012, 05:54 AM
good luck Luv

Aries Walker
07-21-2012, 06:01 AM
Best of luck, Luv! Break a leg, figuratively speaking.

Bugeater
07-21-2012, 07:04 AM
FUCK YEAH!!!

Demonpenz
07-21-2012, 07:13 AM
Congrats.

luv
07-21-2012, 07:51 AM
Don't know the official time yet. I'm saying just under 43 minutes. Slow, I know. I've had an earache all week that I'm just getting over, so I didn't train this week like I should. At least I know I'll definitely be able to beat it next time. Point is, I DID IT!!!!

Bugeater
07-21-2012, 07:56 AM
5,000 kilometers in 43 minutes is pretty damn good.

luv
07-21-2012, 08:07 AM
I feel so good right now. I never really run it that fast when I'm on my own, or I allow myself to walk more. Now that I know I can do that well, I should be doing that every time I jog.

Buehler445
07-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Don't know the official time yet. I'm saying just under 43 minutes. Slow, I know. I've had an earache all week that I'm just getting over, so I didn't train this week like I should. At least I know I'll definitely be able to beat it next time. Point is, I DID IT!!!!

That's not too bad. The biggest thing in both training and competition is setting your pace. It is hard, but it's the best way to improve your performance.

luv
07-21-2012, 08:30 AM
That's not too bad. The biggest thing in both training and competition is setting your pace. It is hard, but it's the best way to improve your performance.

Yeah, I tried not to start off too fast. I decided to set a pace I could keep early. Taking a week off from running really set me back. Ended up walking about 1/4 of it. It's okay though. I know I will do better next time, and in my training.

WhiteWhale
07-21-2012, 08:36 AM

I'd say a system that uses increments of 10 as a base is much more logical than one that uses hog heads and donkey feet as a system of measurement.

There's a reason all science uses metric.

America hasn't changed because of the cost... not because the english standard is a better system.

R8RFAN
07-21-2012, 08:39 AM
Congrats LUV... Hope you do great.

Bugeater
07-21-2012, 09:03 AM
I'd say a system that uses increments of 10 as a base is much more logical than one that uses hog heads and donkey feet as a system of measurement.

There's a reason all science uses metric.

America hasn't changed because of the cost... not because the english standard is a better system.
Cost aside, we haven't changed because this entire country was built on the standard system, and adopting the metric system now would complicate way too many things. That ship sailed a long time ago.

Old Dog
07-21-2012, 09:09 AM
Congrats.

loochy
07-21-2012, 10:42 AM

Ok, I know this is going to make me sound like a complete ass....but 43 minutes? Did you run any of it? That's like walking the whole thing. A comfortable walk is 4 mph (I know this because I walk on the treadmill for 5 minutes before I run). Walking the whole thing would be a tad over 45 minutes.

Was the race super crowded? In my experience, those kind of suck. Seek out some of the smaller races around and you won't have to deal with droves of people. A lot of times, even if you are slow, you can get a place in your age group.

jd1020
07-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Ok, I know this is going to make me sound like a complete ass....but 43 minutes? Did you run any of it? That's like walking the whole thing. A comfortable walk is 4 mph (I know this because I walk on the treadmill for 5 minutes before I run). Walking the whole thing would be a tad over 45 minutes.

A comfortable walk for you may not be so comfortable for someone else. For me, anything over 3.5mph feels like speed walking.

Saulbadguy
07-21-2012, 10:58 AM

Was the race super crowded? In my experience, those kind of suck. Seek out some of the smaller races around and you won't have to deal with droves of people. A lot of times, even if you are slow, you can get a place in your age group.

4mph isn't a comfortable walk for me, that is pretty fast. I normally walk around 3.5, 4 is "speedwalking" for me.

Saul Good
07-21-2012, 11:16 AM
The average woman walks 3 miles per hour. The average man walks 3.5 miles per hour. She averaged 4.5 miles per hour or one and a half times walking speed.

She's not setting any records, but it's better than pounding a dozen Krispy Kremes.

Chick's gone from 259 pounds to completing a 5k. Good for her. I just started running 2 months ago, and I run a 5k in about 29 minutes, but I'm a guy and close to my ideal body weight. For a chick that was close to 120 pounds overweight (I'm guessing) and is still around 70 pounds overweight, that's not bad at all.

Here's guessing that she runs the next one in under 40 minutes if she does it about a month from now.

luv
07-21-2012, 11:16 AM

You'll have to forgive me. I'm a fatass who just started jogging this spring. I also am working on the cariovascular aspect of it, as I run out of wind long before my body gives out.

I said it was slow, and that it was an accomplishment for me. Thanks for bringing me down a few notches. I appreciate it.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Saul Good
07-21-2012, 11:19 AM
You'll have to forgive me. I'm a fatass who just started jogging this spring. I also am working on the cariovascular aspect of it, as I run out of wind long before my body gives out.

I said it was slow, and that it was an accomplishment for me. Thanks for bringing me down a few notches. I appreciate it.

Bullshit.

Running a 5k is an impressive accomplishment. Keep at it, and you'll laugh at your time today, but that doesn't make it any less of an achievement.

jd1020
07-21-2012, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't put much thought into an idiot that thinks a comfortable walk for everyone is 4 mph because he does it for 5 mins on a treadmill.

Saul Good
07-21-2012, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't put much thought into an idiot that thinks a comfortable walk for everyone is 4 mph because he does it for 5 mins on a treadmill.

Pretty much. Doing a 5k on a treadmill is about like playing tennis on the Wii. It's similar in some respects, but it's not the same.

loochy
07-21-2012, 12:07 PM

It's a warmup before an actual run, which is usually for 40 minutes.

Pretty much. Doing a 5k on a treadmill is about like playing tennis on the Wii. It's similar in some respects, but it's not the same.

You are right (kind of). It's not the same but it's great for forcing you to push your pace. I actually find running outdoors easier because I don't get so bored.

Bullshit.

Running a 5k is an impressive accomplishment. Keep at it, and you'll laugh at your time today, but that doesn't make it any less of an achievement.

The great thing is that you will make huge strides in your time at this stage. If you keep at it for 6 months I wouldn't be surprised if you got down around the 27 or 28 minute mark. Once you figure out how to fix your breathing and use your stride length you'll just start zipping around.

luv
07-21-2012, 12:09 PM
The great thing is that you will make huge strides in your time at this stage. If you keep at it for 6 months I wouldn't be surprised if you got down around the 27 or 28 minute mark. Once you figure out how to fix your breathing and use your stride length you'll just start zipping around.

Losing another 45 lbs will help too.

And yeah, right now, my jog isn't much faster than a brisk walk. Hell, my speed walking is probably faster...lol

loochy
07-21-2012, 12:10 PM

It will. However, I've seen my share of surprisingly fast large people.

rageeumr
07-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Nice work. Keep at it.

luv
07-21-2012, 12:13 PM
It will. However, I've seen my share of surprisingly fast large people.

My personal trainer has also given me a couple of excellent cardiovascular strength training workouts. Once I've done them for a month or so, I really think they'll show a difference as well.

Saulbadguy
07-21-2012, 12:23 PM
My personal trainer has also given me a couple of excellent cardiovascular strength training workouts. Once I've done them for a month or so, I really think they'll show a difference as well.

Such as?

luv
07-21-2012, 12:36 PM
Such as?

One of the exercises is stair steps with dumbbells. Whichever leg I'm stepping up with, I raise the opposite hand. Currently using 8 lb weights for that.

Another one she calls the mountain climber. You put your hands on the floor in a lunge position. Then you hop up and switch legs.

One called ice skater. If you think of the motion of a speed skater, bent over legs slightly bent, arms out, one leg lifted up behind you. You jump side to side switching legs.

Squat hop with dumbbells. Hold a couple of dumbbells (I use the 5 lb weights for this one). Do a squat, and then extend your arms up and hop whenever you go to stand up. Then back down into a squat.

Those are a few.

rageeumr
07-21-2012, 12:39 PM
Also, as others have said, don't feel like you have to apologize for what you perceive to be a slow time. You kicked everybody's ass who was sitting on their couch or at Denny's.

I had to walk a decent portion of my first 5k, and then I puked on someone's fence at the end. That was in October of 2007. Since then I've run 2 marathons, done a half-Ironman triathlon and improved my 5k time by about 33%.

R8RFAN
07-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Bullshit.

Damn right it is.... And she is doing a helluva lot more than I am :clap:

R8RFAN
07-21-2012, 01:49 PM
I used to have this girlfriend that would jog and then come home and take a shower and be ready to ride the baloney pony.... That shit was hot as hell after she went for a long run... Hot like Fire.... Kinda like sticking your wiener in a cantaloupe from the microwave...

Hot Hot Hot... Steaming Hot

Saul Good
07-21-2012, 01:54 PM
I used to have this girlfriend that would jog and then come home and take a shower and be ready to ride the baloney pony.... That shit was hot as hell after she went for a long run... Hot like Fire.... Kinda like sticking your wiener in a cantaloupe from the microwave...

Yep. Chicks like to bang after a run.

Valiant
07-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Try $183 to run Tough Mudder and I'm signed up for my 2nd! Prices are usually a little high for these type things but typically it goes to a good cause.

Good luck Luv!

I paid 60 with discount codes. You are doing something wrong.

Dallas Chief
07-21-2012, 05:36 PM

We should go run sometime bro since we are in the same neck of the woods. Maybe I am more your speed like 21:30 5k these days. Much more fun that picking on a running noob wouldn't you say?:)

Dallas Chief
07-21-2012, 05:41 PM

And yeah, right now, my jog isn't much faster than a brisk walk. Hell, my speed walking is probably faster...lol

Oh stop! Congrats on completing your first 5k really really super duper proud of you!:clap::clap::clap:

Catch you on the flip side later on hopefully ;)

Sent not using tap talk from way the hell up in the air somewhere over Arizona

loochy
07-21-2012, 08:43 PM
We should go run sometime bro since we are in the same neck of the woods. Maybe I am more your speed like 21:30 5k these days. Much more fun that picking on a running noob wouldn't you say?:)

You're faster than me...because I'm not fast anymore. I'm about 23:30 to 24:30. Do you do many races? It's been about a year since I've done any official races.

WV
07-21-2012, 09:00 PM
I paid 60 with discount codes. You are doing something wrong.

Signing up late is the main thing....you are correct. I justify it by the fact it goes to a good cause and it's helped me get back in shape.

Chiefnj2
07-21-2012, 09:08 PM

Congratulations luv.

Dallas Chief
07-21-2012, 09:31 PM
You're faster than me...because I'm not fast anymore. I'm about 23:30 to 24:30. Do you do many races? It's been about a year since I've done any official races.

I haven't raced since the rock n roll half marathon in the spring. I don't always run 5k's that fast, it really depends on the course and who i am running with. Believe me, I'd much rather run them at 24:00, much more enjoyable...

Rain Man
07-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Congrats, luv! What did you think of the overall experience aside from the run?

Other than a long-ago 5K that I barely remember, I ran my first race in 2009. The first race is the hardest because it's a little intimidating to show up. I was all worried that I'd run the wrong direction or that I'd be the slowest person and everyone would laugh at me or that I'd blow out a knee and have to get carted off in shame. But once I did the first one, my confidence went way up. I remember being a little more than halfway and realizing, "I'm making this work. I'm doing it". And then at about 80 percent there was a big downhill and I was flying and I realized, "I'M MAKING THIS WORK! I'M DOING IT!" And I was so proud to finish that I was beaming the rest of the day.

That first run was my second-slowest run ever, and the only slower one was one where I'd been hurt and couldn't run for three months, but I was already registered so I went and did it and gutted it out. But it was perhaps the most important one, because it proved I could do it, just like this one proved the same for you. Great work.

patteeu
07-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Not even a half marathon and you're creating a thread about it? Just kidding. I couldn't even run from my computer to the bathroom. Congrats on your accomplishment.

JD10367
07-21-2012, 10:14 PM

I'm not sure I want to know the story behind how you know what sticking your weiner in a microwaved cantaloupe feels like. You Raider fans sure have some funny tailgates, I guess.

As for the 5k thing... I get tired if I drive 5 miles, never mind try to run that far.

BillSelfsTrophycase
07-21-2012, 10:41 PM
I'm not sure I want to know the story behind how you know what sticking your weiner in a microwaved cantaloupe feels like. You Raider fans sure have some funny tailgates, I guess.

As for the 5k thing... I get tired if I drive 5 miles, never mind try to run that far.

Must be a prison thing...didn't know they had microwaves in the joint

Phobia
07-21-2012, 10:56 PM
Keep doing what you're doing and get better each time, Luv. I'll admit a little disappointment that you walked after you seemed so hell-bent on running the whole thing last night but it's not me out there. Only you can push yourself to the brink.

Don't let anybody discourage you. Some confidence is going to help you realize that what people say out here doesn't matter at all. Once you start believing and feeling better, the little jabs will roll off your back.

luv
07-21-2012, 11:19 PM
Congrats, luv! What did you think of the overall experience aside from the run?

Other than a long-ago 5K that I barely remember, I ran my first race in 2009. The first race is the hardest because it's a little intimidating to show up. I was all worried that I'd run the wrong direction or that I'd be the slowest person and everyone would laugh at me or that I'd blow out a knee and have to get carted off in shame. But once I did the first one, my confidence went way up. I remember being a little more than halfway and realizing, "I'm making this work. I'm doing it". And then at about 80 percent there was a big downhill and I was flying and I realized, "I'M MAKING THIS WORK! I'M DOING IT!" And I was so proud to finish that I was beaming the rest of the day.

That first run was my second-slowest run ever, and the only slower one was one where I'd been hurt and couldn't run for three months, but I was already registered so I went and did it and gutted it out. But it was perhaps the most important one, because it proved I could do it, just like this one proved the same for you. Great work.

The overall experience was cool. I knew I'd run slower, so I stayed to the outside. I still had people squeezing between me and the curb. While I'm hoping it will be my slowest ever, it was actually the fastest I've done it. As I said before, now I know I can do it and will try to do so even while training. I tend to let myself walk or jog slower more than I should. Time to stop doing that.

Anyway, I kept hearing people's phones beep. I finally realized they had the C25K app on their phones. Towards the end, when running was harder, I just tried to keep up with them while they running so I could pass them when they walked. It was a fun game...lol. It was Girls Just Want to Run, so it was all women. It was cool to see moms running with their daughters and husbands set up at various points to encourage them. One homeowner on the route had his water hose out and had a pretty good rain going. I kind of felt lonely with no one to jog with or to encourage me, but it was still fun.

Afterward, they served fruit and water and had a Zumba demonstration. I had errands to run, so I couldn't stick around for the door prizes.

The thing I liked the most was seeing all sorts of women there. Skinny, really big, young, old, and everything between. I didn't feel nearly as intimidated as I thought I would.

go bo
07-21-2012, 11:28 PM
GOOD FOR YOU, LUV!!!!!

a real accomplishment, you should be proud... :toast: :toast: :toast:

loochy
07-22-2012, 08:28 AM
The thing I liked the most was seeing all sorts of women there. Skinny, really big, young, old, and everything between. I didn't feel nearly as intimidated as I thought I would.

lol

The thing I hate most is when I get passed by a mom pushing a 2 kid stroller.

It's also a downer when you get passed by an elderly runner.

BWillie
07-22-2012, 10:46 AM

Damn right. America is so awesome we just decide the rest of the world spells things wrong.

Brasil? Hell no it Brazil
Flavour? Try again its flavor
Recognise? STFU its recognize fools

Buehler445
07-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Damn right. America is so awesome we just decide the rest of the world spells things wrong.

Brasil? Hell no it Brazil
Flavour? Try again its flavor
Recognise? STFU its recognize fools

I think tits is pretty universal though.
http://edge.ebaumsworld.com/picture/lildrummah/Boobs.png

Ace Gunner
07-22-2012, 11:07 AM
I know I will finish. I know I won't place in any prizes. My goal is to not walk.

That is a good goal. Good luck and don't walk, just keep running no matter what. A running tip -- land on the ball of your foot, not the heel. Reduces fatigue in the knees, upper legs and hips and puts the calves into action.

Buehler445
07-22-2012, 12:33 PM
That is a good goal. Good luck and don't walk, just keep running no matter what. A running tip -- land on the ball of your foot, not the heel. Reduces fatigue in the knees, upper legs and hips and puts the calves into action.

Oh man. That's tough, particularly for newbs. I used to run cross country and was able to do it for 5K, but it does take more energy that heel to toe running. My problem was heel to toe running shortened my stride significantly.

luv
07-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Oh man. That's tough, particularly for newbs. I used to run cross country and was able to do it for 5K, but it does take more energy that heel to toe running. My problem was heel to toe running shortened my stride significantly.

How does landing on the balls of your feet not shorten your stride? I feel like I'm running on my tiptoes when I try it...lol

Buehler445
07-22-2012, 02:14 PM
How does landing on the balls of your feet not shorten your stride? I feel like I'm running on my tiptoes when I try it...lol

The other way around. When I'd land on my heel it would shorten my stride. I have super long legs and tried to get the most out of them. Plus I had pretty stacked up calves and tried to get them in it.

I have (had) a pretty unconventional running style, and was it was probably inefficient when compared to more traditional long distance running styles.

Running on the balls of your feet isn't hard, but it is hard to do for long distances. If you go to the track and sprint 50 meters, that should be on the balls of your foot, your heel shouldn't hit. It is just a matter of adapting that to a relaxed, long distance style.

Most people don't though. Most long distance people go heel to toe. it is a lot more efficient in most cases.

Marcellus
07-22-2012, 03:41 PM
The other way around. When I'd land on my heel it would shorten my stride. I have super long legs and tried to get the most out of them. Plus I had pretty stacked up calves and tried to get them in it.

I have (had) a pretty unconventional running style, and was it was probably inefficient when compared to more traditional long distance running styles.

Running on the balls of your feet isn't hard, but it is hard to do for long distances. If you go to the track and sprint 50 meters, that should be on the balls of your foot, your heel shouldn't hit. It is just a matter of adapting that to a relaxed, long distance style.

Most people don't though. Most long distance people go heel to toe. it is a lot more efficient in most cases.

Most good long distance runners land on the ball. I have no idea why you believe most of them run heel to toe, that is simply the most inefficient way to run period.

The reason 95% of running shoes now have almost no elevation in the sole from heel to toe is to keep you from landing on your heel.

In 1960 the Olympic marathon was won by a guy wearing no shoes and set a new world record. Granted because running shoes back then were flat with no elevation and little to no padding it wasn't that big a difference than the other runners.

Buehler445
07-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Most good long distance runners land on the ball. I have no idea why you believe most of them run heel to toe, that is simply the most inefficient way to run period.

The reason 95% of running shoes now have almost no elevation in the sole from heel to toe is to keep you from landing on your heel.

In 1960 the Olympic marathon was won by a guy wearing no shoes and set a new world record. Granted because running shoes back then were flat with no elevation and little to no padding it wasn't that big a difference than the other runners.

I was under the impression that most of the LD guys went heel to toe. I could be wrong.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-22-2012, 05:01 PM
I've always been able to run longest when I pretend I'm being chased by Zombies

WilliamTheIrish
07-22-2012, 05:35 PM

Way. To. Go.

You actually trained perfectly in the last wee for your first race. Letting the body rest that week does no harm. It let's you heal from your training sessions and I think when you arrive at the starting line it gives you the feeling of great strength.

(But you should still have butterflies)

Ace Gunner
07-22-2012, 09:26 PM
I am pleased to see so much discussion on running technique. I really love running, have enjoyed it since I was a youngster. My techniques have evolved/changed over the years, age plays a roll in technique and goals change as well. Here is a good write on the basics of distance running with good technique;

The Perfect Form
Running better, from head to toe.

http://www.runnersworld.com/images/cma/train_urban200.jpg

Head Tilt How you hold your head is key to overall posture, which determines how efficiently you run. Let your gaze guide you. Look ahead naturally, not down at your feet, and scan the horizon. This will straighten your neck and back, and bring them into alignment. Don't allow your chin to jut out.

Shoulders Shoulders play an important role in keeping your upper body relaxed while you run, which is critical to maintaining efficient running posture. For optimum performance, your shoulders should be low and loose, not high and tight. As you tire on a run, don't let them creep up toward your ears. If they do, shake them out to release the tension. Your shoulders also need to remain level and shouldn't dip from side to side with each stride.

Arms Even though running is primarily a lower-body activity, your arms aren't just along for the ride. Your hands control the tension in your upper body, while your arm swing works in conjunction with your leg stride to drive you forward. Keep your hands in an unclenched fist, with your fingers lightly touching your palms. Imagine yourself trying to carry a potato chip in each hand without crushing it. Your arms should swing mostly forward and back, not across your body,between waist and lower-chest level. Your elbows should be bent at about a 90-degree angle. When you feel your fists clenching or your forearms tensing, drop your arms to your sides and shake them out for a few seconds to release the tension.

Torso The position of your torso while running is affected by the position of your head and shoulders. With your head up and looking ahead and your shoulders low and loose, your torso and back naturally straighten to allow you to run in an efficient, upright position that promotes optimal lung capacity and stride length. Many track coaches describe this ideal torso position as "running tall" and it means you need to stretch yourself up to your full height with your back comfortably straight. If you start to slouch during a run take a deep breath and feel yourself naturally straighten. As you exhale simply maintain that upright position.

Hips Your hips are your center of gravity, so they're key to good running posture. The proper position of your torso while running helps to ensure your hips will also be in the ideal position. With your torso and back comfortably upright and straight, your hips naturally fall into proper alignment--pointing you straight ahead. If you allow your torso to hunch over or lean too far forward during a run, your pelvis will tilt forward as well, which can put pressure on your lower back and throw the rest of your lower body out of alignment. When trying to gauge the position of your hips, think of your pelvis as a bowl filled with marbles, then try not to spill the marbles by tilting the bowl.

Legs/Stride While sprinters need to lift their knees high to achieve maximum leg power, distance runners don't need such an exaggerated knee lift--it's simply too hard to sustain for any length of time. Instead, efficient endurance running requires just a slight knee lift, a quick leg turnover, and a short stride. Together, these will facilitate fluid forward movement instead of diverting (and wasting) energy. When running with the proper stride length, your feet should land directly underneath your body. As your foot strikes the ground, your knee should be slightly flexed so that it can bend naturally on impact. If your lower leg (below the knee) extends out in front of your body, your stride is too long.

Ankles/Feet To run well, you need to push off the ground with maximum force. With each step, your foot should hit the ground lightly--landing between your heel and midfoot--then quickly roll forward. Keep your ankle flexed as your foot rolls forward to create more force for push-off. As you roll onto your toes, try to spring off the ground. You should feel your calf muscles propelling you forward on each step. Your feet should not slap loudly as they hit the ground. Good running is springy and quiet.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article
/0,7120,s6-238-267-268-8210-0,00.html

Notice in the pic, the foot is already on the ball. This girl emphasizes landing in the middle foot section, but I say she underestimates her landing and just how quickly she is up on the ball of the foot.

I extend my foot just a bit so I land on the ball and roll to the middle foot section, then roll back to the ball and spring from it. This is difficult to describe, but I "point" the ball of the foot to its landing and the result, along with the proper stride is a landing that is shared by the middle foot.

If you consider her line "Good running is springy and quiet" then you could perhaps imagine tip toeing is a quiet way to get around. With this in mind, you need to use the ball of the foot to achieve that 'light footed' type running.

In the end, Luv, you need to find your own ways and set your own goals. Just wanted to let you know there are lots of techniques people use.

Something else I want to mention regarding the back & hips -- if you run with your back straight, you tend to drop your hips slightly. That is a good thing and it effects stride and footing in a good way.

Anyway, have fun & don't stop:D

D-Train6906
07-22-2012, 11:46 PM

The fact of your fatass being able to run,at all, surprises me.

luv
07-23-2012, 12:15 AM
The fact of your fatass being able to run,at all, surprises me.

I don't know who's mult you are, or what I did to piss you off, but one thing you should know about me is that I love surprising people. So you're welcome! :)

D-Train6906
07-23-2012, 01:39 PM
I don't know who's mult you are, or what I did to piss you off, but one thing you should know about me is that I love surprising people. So you're welcome! :)

cool story bro

loochy
07-23-2012, 02:55 PM

You aren't running on your tiptoes totally...just make sure your ball hits first. It's ok if your heels end up touching some. Just don't do the heel smash landing. That's a good way to make your knees and back hurt.

luv
07-23-2012, 03:06 PM
You aren't running on your tiptoes totally...just make sure your ball hits first. It's ok if your heels end up touching some. Just don't do the heel smash landing. That's a good way to make your knees and back hurt.

Took yesterday off, but I'm jogging later tonight. I'm going to try this, as weird as it feels.

kepp
07-23-2012, 03:12 PM

You're doing just fine. Don't worry about picking up your pace or beating anyone right now. Just build your foundation. I started running a little over two years ago and could barely finish two miles. This year I've run three half marathons and set a new 5K PR. Just keep at it.

rageeumr
07-23-2012, 03:36 PM
I was under the impression that most of the LD guys went heel to toe. I could be wrong.

Not true. It's generally accepted that heel striking is less efficient and makes you more prone to injury than midfoot or forefoot striking. I don't have a degree in kinesiology, so I'm not going to delve into the injury topic.

Regarding efficiency, though, it makes a lot of sense if you think about it and watch people run. When your heel is the first thing to hit on every stride, you are essentially hitting the brakes every single step. You're slowing your momentum, which means you have to overcome that in order to keep the same pace. We're not talking about a lot of energy in each step, but there are a lot of steps in a marathon, half marathon, or even a 5k.

Here's a picture showing foot strike locations from 4 elite runners during the 2010 Boston Marathon (clockwise from top left Robert Cheruiyot, Tekeste Kebede, Ryan Hall and Meb Keflezighi)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_pEADhcSTYTU/TGNuazOCt7I/AAAAAAAADYI/naUd1a0GBOM/s400/Boston+Footstrikes.jpg

luv
07-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Not true. It's generally accepted that heel striking is less efficient and makes you more prone to injury than midfoot or forefoot striking. I don't have a degree in kinesiology, so I'm not going to delve into the injury topic.

Is that why Sketchers ended up taking their curved bottom shoe off the market?

Buehler445
07-23-2012, 04:07 PM
I always assumed everybody put their heel down. Maybe it is because all the shoe companies market their stuff with a bunch of heel cushion and rigging to help transfer heel to toe movement.

Either way, I'm obviously incorrect.

The good news is my running form isn't as off as I thought. Even though I know it is nowhere near as efficient as those guys rage posted.

LiveSteam
07-23-2012, 04:12 PM
way to go luv. That run would kill me

luv
07-23-2012, 06:51 PM

Okay, I went out and tried this. There is no way I'm jogging without my heels touching that ground more than "some". Maybe I'm not jogging fast enough to be considered running or having to take long strides. I don't know. I know one thing. Man, it's hot out there. Always feel good after getting out though.