PDA

View Full Version : News Retired nurse in Tennessee lets nephew stay in her house - it doesn't end well

ReynardMuldrake
07-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Retired nurse betrayed after act of kindness for nephew

http://wsmv.images.worldnow.com/images/19093802_BG2.jpg

http://wsmv.images.worldnow.com/images/19093802_BG3.jpg

NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -

A 69-year-old retired nurse, a master quilter who has never been in trouble with the law before, now faces felony assault charges, and that's not even the worst part.

If anything, Donna Keel is too nice and too trusting for her own good after she did something in memory of her deceased sister. It was an act she made on faith and hope and the belief that all people can be saved.

But the consequences have been crushing.

Her nephew, Jody Jones, is an ex-con. His convictions include cases involving drugs, assault and theft. At one point, he stole so much from his own family they don't want anything to do with him.

But not Aunt Donna.

When Jones got out of prison this time, Keel took him in, based on her love for her deceased sister.

"I knew him ever since the minute after he was born," Keel said. "I had in my heart to do it, to help him out. And if he made it, I wanted to be there when he made good."

But things did not go well. Jones soon brought in his girlfriend, Tiffany Nicholson, and her three kids.

Bills started growing, and Keel didn't have that kind of money to sustain her modest house, where her only luxury was her sewing room and her beautiful quilts.

On Friday, July 6, when Keel asked her nephew for money to help pay the bills, she was in no way prepared for what was next.

"I just asked him if he had some money to help cover the bills at the first of the month. But he moved in front of me and kept saying, 'Get out of my face.' I hadn't even moved one inch. He was the one confronting me, and Tiffany runs out of the bathroom. She has the house phone and starts hitting me with it. I had a concussion," Keel said.

Keel said Jones and his girlfriend disappeared in the back of the house, and the next thing she knew, Jones came out with a slashing stab wound. The couple called police, and when officers arrived they weighed the conflicting stories.

On one side was the 69-year-old retired nurse, and on the other was the 42-year-old former prison bodybuilder with a long record and his girlfriend currently on probation.

In his report, Officer William Hudson decided that Keel was the primary aggressor and went so far as to charge her with felony aggravated assault.

"I almost fell to the ground when they told me to get in the car. I said, 'You've got to be kidding me.' Here I am, my equilibrium is gone because my eye was swollen. I couldn't believe it," Keel said.

Then, while Keel sat in jail, her nephew and his girlfriend visited night court, where they represented themselves as the legal occupants of Keel's home. Of course, that's not true. It's not their home, and they have no lease. But they were not asked to produce any documentation.

Before long, they even got an order of protection.

"To take the word of someone without investigating what went on, and just issue an order of protection from her own home, this is not right. This is America," said attorney Paul Housch.

Keel was legally banned from her own home, so when she gets out of jail, she is homeless. And her house guests are untouchable.

"Officer Hudson was not the judge and jury, but he convicted her of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. In fact, the weapon was never produced. There was no weapon. This was a staged crime by two felons to have her arrested and ousted out of her own home," Housch said.

Housch has been attempting to legally undo what has happened. First, he contacted the couple's parole and probation officers to inform them of what is happening. Those officers set up a July 13 meeting with Jones and Nicholson, but neither showed up.

"They should have issued a bench warrant right then on July 13 and had the police pick them up wherever they may have been," Housch said.

And there were things in motion to get Keel back in her house, hearings and orders, that would make everything right.

Except something happened on July 16 that made it all irrelevant.

The house went up in flames, as Jones told police it began as a grease fire.

"He was seen standing in front of the house with his arms folded, watching the fire go through the roof," Housch said.

So, last week in court, Keel got back her now burned down house and Keel had her order of protection lifted. And on Friday, Jones and Nicholson were both arrested for parole and probation violations.

But, of course, it's all too late.

"All of my possessions - my quilts, my sewing room, all of the albums of pictures of us growing up, my mother's stuff. It wasn't an expensive house, but it was home to a lot of people," Keel said.

Police said the felony assault charge was a judgment call based on Jones' stab wound and a statement in which Keel admitted she started the confrontation.

And, by the book, it was completely legal for the night commissioner who issued the order of protection for people who weren't rightfully homeowners. The law does not demand night commissioners to check proof of residency.

But the fire remains under investigation, and Keel remains charged with felony aggravated assault.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/19093802/retired-nurse-betrayed-after-act-of-kidness-for-nephew

suds79
07-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Everybody deserves a 2nd or 3rd chance right? Maybe he's just misunderstood.

KCUnited
07-24-2012, 09:55 AM
I'm sure the Talking Heads will be all over this one.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Fucked up.

Micjones
07-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Unbelievable.

ModSocks
07-24-2012, 09:57 AM
That's why you dont trust the white man.

Garcia Bronco
07-24-2012, 09:58 AM
WTF....a complete lack of investigation...a complete lack of understanding....a complete lack of faith in the system.

Aries Walker
07-24-2012, 09:59 AM
I wonder what happened to the three kids.

Garcia Bronco
07-24-2012, 10:00 AM
I wonder what happened to the three kids.

CPS

Saulbadguy
07-24-2012, 10:01 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4Uinmn1Sg4g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KC_Lee
07-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Saw the teaser the other night but missed the story. Man, that is messed up.

Aries Walker
07-24-2012, 10:04 AM
CPS
I hope so.

gblowfish
07-24-2012, 10:05 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6vXW66o15e0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

InChiefsHeaven
07-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Jeeez, this reads like a bad movie plot...unbelievable.

Dayze
07-24-2012, 10:09 AM
if I was 69 and close to dying anyway, I'd shoot them both. lol

loochy
07-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Nurse in Tennessee...I was expecting Badgirl.

He asked her to open his juice and she burned his house down.

Phobia
07-24-2012, 10:14 AM
It's sad that the guy is a Chiefs fan.

Canofbier
07-24-2012, 10:32 AM

Where did it say she was close to death? I sure as hell don't plan on being "almost dead" by the time I'm 69.

Aries Walker
07-24-2012, 10:39 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6vXW66o15e0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Well played, sir. Well played indeed.

Also,

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z4-pexSVWzM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iowanian
07-24-2012, 10:46 AM
It was sure nice of badgranny to take joey in after his parole from Chiefsplanet.

She probably stabbed him for asking for juice.

vailpass
07-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Whiskey Tango to the max degree.

mr. tegu
07-24-2012, 11:03 AM
And the charges of felony aggravated assault still remain. Just wow.

InChiefsHeaven
07-24-2012, 11:44 AM
It's sad that the guy is a Chiefs fan.

:spock:

vailpass
07-24-2012, 11:47 AM
:spock:

He doesn't know that for a fact; he's just assuming it because the guy is bald.

Phobia
07-24-2012, 11:52 AM
He doesn't know that for a fact; he's just assuming it because the guy is bald.

and goateed. Don't leave out the most critical part.

Amnorix
07-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Hope this guy gets a shiv in his back over a prison drug deal gone bad.

Bump
07-24-2012, 12:21 PM
no good deed goes unpunished.

Our "justice" system is a complete and utter joke and I cant wait to mention that when I have to go to jury duty.

Amnorix
07-24-2012, 12:43 PM

Our "justice" system is a complete and utter joke and I cant wait to mention that when I have to go to jury duty.

So instead of making your contribution to having the system work better, you plan to try to get thrown off the jury?

or am I misreading why you plan to raise this?

vailpass
07-24-2012, 12:45 PM
and goateed. Don't leave out the most critical part.

Shit. Can't believe I didn't get that in. I has fail.

JD10367
07-24-2012, 12:47 PM
It's not the guy's fault. It's his parents' fault.

I mean, c'mon. They named him Jody. What chance did he have, really?

Demonpenz
07-24-2012, 12:49 PM

No shit. I don't understand why people that old do anything, but kill themselves. They can't drive and they shit themselves all the time.

loochy
07-24-2012, 01:59 PM

You just need to start your own country.

The United States of Bump

Pitt Gorilla
07-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Sounds like the police did an outstanding job.

Phobia
07-24-2012, 02:18 PM
It's times like these when I wish there were some frontier justice. Used to be if you stole a cow you swung. These wastes of skin should have swung long ago, apparently.

whoman69
07-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Several people deserve to be fired over this.