PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Car Radio Question

Coach
07-27-2012, 03:54 AM
I know that this probably should go to the Media Center section, but I would like to at least stick it here, since there is more traffic and better chances of this thread being viewed.

I currently own a 2010 Dodge Charger SXT, and currently my radio section looks like the photo below.

http://slb.adicio.com/squisher.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fslb.adicio.com%2Ffiles%2Fautoimages%2Ffeeds%2FGAZETTENET13261%2F2-0329P_6.jpg&w=617&h=411

Looking over, I am almost 99.9% it is a:

- Media Center 130 -inc: AM/FM stereo w/CD/MP3 player, aux input jack SIRIUS satellite radio.

I hardly use the SIRIUS satellite radio that much anyways. So I would like to upgrade this into a bad-ass looking radio with a CD player, and preferably (not required though) a GPS navigation system along with it, yet is not taking a big chunk of my money out of my wallet. I looked around online, and saw some nice ones, but I thought I would refer to the Planet who have knowledge of car audio system.

Appreciate the help.

IratePrimate
07-27-2012, 05:18 AM
Save your self some money and plug your smartphone into the aux jack for music. Use google maps for your gps as well.

jspchief
07-27-2012, 05:25 AM
You have a shitload of options ranging from $100 to over $1k.

Go to Crutchfield and use the function to search by vehicle.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-27-2012, 05:52 AM
Try this website: www.TooStupidToFindRadio.com

Coach
07-27-2012, 06:01 AM
Save your self some money and plug your smartphone into the aux jack for music. Use google maps for your gps as well.

I could do that, but the problem is, it's kind of a pain in the ass to do that when I am using my phone a lot to communicate a lot via voice and having to mess around with hitting buttons and all that garbage, not to mention that having to look down on the GPS on my phone which is on my lap or the other seat, which is too dangerous to begin with anyways.

Besides, I want to make my interior of the vehicle look better than what it is right now.

Coach
07-27-2012, 06:03 AM
You have a shitload of options ranging from $100 to over $1k.

Go to Crutchfield and use the function to search by vehicle.

Yeah, I saw their website as well as Best Buy, and I was just curious by some members who have experienced certain brands such as Pioneer, JVC, so on, so on, which one to kind of avoid, which one to look into.

I'm just basically looking at somewhere between 200-400 range anyways, since it would be really nice to have the GPS or Navigation ready screen included, that's all.

El Jefe
07-27-2012, 06:14 AM
Yeah, I saw their website as well as Best Buy, and I was just curious by some members who have experienced certain brands such as Pioneer, JVC, so on, so on, which one to kind of avoid, which one to look into.

I'm just basically looking at somewhere between 200-400 range anyways, since it would be really nice to have the GPS or Navigation ready screen included, that's all.

Ask 10 people about car radio brands and you will get 10 different opinions. I am a big Alpine fan, I have had Alpine decks in my cars since high school. The car I have now has a cheap Sony deck and it blows. Alpine decks are very nice IMO, and very cost effective. Pioneer's a good name, I have never been a fan of JVC. I would stick with Pioneer or Alpine JMO.

jspchief
07-27-2012, 06:30 AM

You're buying features. Determine what features you want, and then pick one that fits your price and appearance demands. Any of the name brands are going to be good enough.

We aren't talking about sound here. Stock speakers and your budget have already determined that.

My advice would be to go to an actual car audio store and get to know exactly the features you want.

notorious
07-27-2012, 06:32 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clarion-NX602-6-2-Double-Din-Navigation-w-DVD-Bluetooth-Ipod-Pandora-2012-/260999657160?pt=US_Video_In_Dash_Units_w_GPS&hash=item3cc4cab6c8

Ace Gunner
07-27-2012, 06:41 AM
Ask 10 people about car radio brands and you will get 10 different opinions. I am a big Alpine fan, I have had Alpine decks in my cars since high school. The car I have now has a cheap Sony deck and it blows. Alpine decks are very nice IMO, and very cost effective. Pioneer's a good name, I have never been a fan of JVC. I would stick with Pioneer or Alpine JMO.

Ya, I'm an Alpine guy too. Their EQ's are the best sounding in the market imo.

That Clarion notorious linked is cool though. Clarion used to be the junk of car radio shit, looks like they bought an engineer or two.

notorious
07-27-2012, 06:49 AM

That Clarion notorious linked is cool though. Clarion used to be the junk of car radio shit, looks like they bought an engineer or two.

LOL. Every company makes low end cheap stuff.

Their high end was the best on the planet for a long time.

jspchief
07-27-2012, 06:51 AM
LOL. :facepalm:

When did they make junk?

No shit. Maybe 25 years ago. Clarion was high end when I was into that stuff.

notorious
07-27-2012, 06:54 AM
No shit. Maybe 25 years ago. Clarion was high end when I was into that stuff.

I should have specified "head units". I wouldn't touch their speakers or amps with a 10 foot pole.

I still have two of these in the basement:

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4665808298115124&id=b155ad91807d6791fd84af4e73c4ec29

Ace Gunner
07-27-2012, 07:01 AM
LOL. Every company makes low end cheap stuff.

Their high end was the best on the planet for a long time.

ya, as others already stated, Clarion was a low end outfit when they started out during the seventies. The shit was just horrible, but it was wholesale'd so cheap, retailers couldn't resist the enormous profit. Obviously, the company made good decisions as they became popular.

notorious
07-27-2012, 07:04 AM
ya, as others already stated, Clarion was a low end outfit when they started out during the seventies. The shit was just horrible, but it was wholesale'd so cheap, retailers couldn't resist the enormous profit. Obviously, the company made good decisions as they became popular.

OK, I really have not used their stuff for years except for an indash similar to the link I provided. I don't have the time to play with that stuff anymore.

I was really hoping they didn't go "Phoenix Gold", from the best stuff ever to run of the mill shit.

DaKCMan AP
07-27-2012, 07:23 AM
I don't have GPS but my Bose audio system looks like the below picture. It has a built-in iPod menu so I bought an iPod that stays in the center console all the time (connects through USB) and loaded my 30+ GB of music on it. I never even use the radio, CD player, AUX input, or Sirius/XM (let the free trial run out). It's Awesome.

http://asset1.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/sc/33875782-2-440-SS07.jpg

gblowfish
07-27-2012, 08:35 AM
I've also been an Alpine guy for a long time. Stuff is bulletproof. Costs more up front, but lasts a long time.

HemiEd
07-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Well if it was me, I would go to one of the Challenger/Charger forums, and buy a used MyGig Nav/Stereo/hard drive system that fits perfectly into that slot and will plug into your stock electrical system. You can also pick one up on Ebay. I have seen them generally sell for around $500.

It was a pretty expensive option on my Challenger, but it is my favorite part of the car. The Nav system is incredible and the HDD will hold a bazzillion CDs. You can also watch movies on it if you are so inclined, even on the move if you get a "lockpick."

**edit** Here is one on ebay. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-CHRYSLER-JEEP-HIGH-SPEED-RER-GPS-MYGIG-NAVIGATION-/120954120487?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item1c296d6927&vxp=mtr)

loochy
07-27-2012, 08:49 AM
I installed a Pioneer AVIC a few years ago and I love it. http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l281/erclsr/car%20photo%20shoot%20july%202010/interior.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l281/erclsr/DSCN0810.jpg

KChiefer
07-27-2012, 09:30 AM
If you have a smart phone, you can consider a unit w/o a cd player but w/ bluetooth. Make sure the unit syncs nicely with your type of phone. Iphone being so uniform has many compatible units while android is a step behind, but getting there.

I recently bought a $80 JVC unit and couldn't be happier with the bang for buck. I can bluetooth music, calls, and audio from google navigation.

qabbaan
07-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Unless you are spending a lot more than $400 you won't significantly change sound quality. Buy something affordable from a reputable brand which has the feature you want. Save cash. The meth monkey who steals it out of your rig and pawns it for $20 isn't going to care which version it is ;)

rageeumr
07-27-2012, 11:26 AM
I have an aging Pioneer AVIC-D3.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3442/369264980AVIC-D3%20large.jpg

It served its purpose for many years, but I find myself relying on my smart phone more and more for GPS and music.

I almost never use the head unit for GPS anymore. Google Maps are more updated and has traffic built into navigation now (not perfect, but it's improving.)

Music has been a slower progression. That particular unit has integral iPod control availability, so you just plug your iPod in and control it through the head unit. Charges the iPod too, which is nice. I like how clean that looks too, the iPod is in the glove box, so no cables dangling in the car. But using the phone I can access my music library from the cloud or use Pandora or whatever else I feel like.

I think soon I will buy the bluetooth adapter for my head unit. That's really what I think will tie it all together. I can then play my music through the head unit through bluetooth, it will also speak navigation directions over the head unit and will allow me to use the phone hands-free.

If I were starting from scratch, though, I'm sure I could find a much cheaper route.

El Jefe
07-27-2012, 11:34 AM

I like you.

MIAdragon
07-27-2012, 11:47 AM

I pulled the garbage Bose system out of my Cadillac and dropped in a JVC chameleon. Love it, JVC is putting out some decent products as of late.

loochy
07-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Hell, build yourself a carputer!

El Jefe
07-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Well if it was me, I would go to one of the Challenger/Charger forums, and buy a used MyGig Nav/Stereo/hard drive system that fits perfectly into that slot and will plug into your stock electrical system. You can also pick one up on Ebay. I have seen them generally sell for around $500.

It was a pretty expensive option on my Challenger, but it is my favorite part of the car. The Nav system is incredible and the HDD will hold a bazzillion CDs. You can also watch movies on it if you are so inclined, even on the move if you get a "lockpick."

**edit** Here is one on ebay. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-CHRYSLER-JEEP-HIGH-SPEED-RER-GPS-MYGIG-NAVIGATION-/120954120487?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item1c296d6927&vxp=mtr)

If you do that, dont forget to buy the Lock pick!!!! If you buy that it will let you watch the DVD's while you are moving. When I bought my 08 Charger (traded in) I bought the My gig and lock pick and it was so awesome it made me want to slap my grandma.

notorious
07-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Alpine. Yes.

I give you, the 7909.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j427/TheDeathKilla/CAR%20AUDIO/CD%20PLAYERS/Alpine%207909/DSC04845.jpg

dtebbe
07-27-2012, 10:37 PM
If you plan on actually using the navigation, get a Kenwood, which has Garmin navigation. I've got a DNX-6120 in my truck, and DNX-6140 in my toaster and love them both. Sound quality is great, power is good, and both units have been trouble free, despite me buying them as factory refurbs. (both under $500).

Google maps is great.. until you are lost in the middle of nowhere with no cell signal.

Just upgraded the maps on both units, $65 each. Worth every penny.

DT

johnny961
07-27-2012, 10:51 PM
If you plan on actually using the navigation, get a Kenwood, which has Garmin navigation. I've got a DNX-6120 in my truck, and DNX-6140 in my toaster and love them both. Sound quality is great, power is good, and both units have been trouble free, despite me buying them as factory refurbs. (both under $500).

Google maps is great.. until you are lost in the middle of nowhere with no cell signal.

Just upgraded the maps on both units, $65 each. Worth every penny.

DT

I was going to recommend Kenwood too from what I remember. It's probably been 7 years or so since I have messed around much with mobile electronics so it may no longer be relevant. But the last couple audio systems I threw together were using Kenwood Excelon head units and sound quality was excellent.

-King-
07-27-2012, 10:55 PM
If you do that, dont forget to buy the Lock pick!!!! If you buy that it will let you watch the DVD's while you are moving. When I bought my 08 Charger (traded in) I bought the My gig and lock pick and it was so awesome it made me want to slap my grandma.

Because nothing says safe driver better than driving and watching a Dvd at the same time :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Miles
07-28-2012, 01:00 AM
This thread just pulled me back into the 90's. It has been quite a while since I have been in something with an aftermarket deck.

Coach
07-28-2012, 11:50 AM
This thread just pulled me back into the 90's. It has been quite a while since I have been in something with an aftermarket deck.

Yeah, same here. In the late 90's/early 2000's, I would be doing stuff like this without any problems on a CD player for my pickup at the time, and had my own amp and speakers.

Now, I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff, especially with the different electricity layout and what not.