PDA

View Full Version : Life Hoarders

Bump
07-28-2012, 11:02 PM
anyone ever have an experience with hoarders? Those people who rent someone elses home and live there for a long time and never throw anything away and never once clean?

I'm in the middle of some SHIT! I mean real shit, on the walls, all over the bathroom and what not. These people are fucking nasty. I don't even know how to motivate myself to get to it and start working on this place.

I've already hired a guy with a 50 foot dumpster to throw shit away because the basement was full to the ceiling of nothing but worthless trash, total fire hazard.

If you are a hoarder, I hope you burn in fucking hell.

Bump
07-28-2012, 11:06 PM
not to mention fucking bed bugs. Burned my clothes and drove home naked so I dont get any in my place

Ace Gunner
07-28-2012, 11:10 PM
oh sonofabitch. bedbugs are tough to get rid of. and yes, been in your shoes before, I feel for ya. rentals are such a PITA.

Frazod
07-28-2012, 11:10 PM
I've been in hoarder house once. Found this in an old thread:

This house was being rented from a guy in my division on the ship. He was nice enough, but a bit hygienically challenged - perhaps that should have sent up a warning flare. But he invited me and a couple of other guys over one day and we went. Lived in a new house in a new neighborhood in Virginia Beach. Opened the door, and it was basically like that picture, everywhere, only worse. The shock of it was truly amazing. He had a trailer trash wife and a couple of nasty ass little kids, who apparently were on a mission to ruin the place. Not even the walls were spared. It was beyond vile. One of the other guys had to use the bathroom, and said the inside of the tub was black with grime. At one point he asked us if we wanted anything to eat, and I said "No, that's okay. I'll just grab something off the floor."

Obviously we didn't stay long, and never went back. I can't imagine what was going through his mind when he asked us over knowing the place looked like that.

Here's the photo I referred to:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2wg9p2v.jpg

Bump
07-28-2012, 11:14 PM
I already gutted the place with a bio hazard suit on and a respirator, goggles and hat. I main regret is that if I would have sent in a video of what it looked like I could have gotten on that tv show about hoarders. My place would have been the prime example of what that show is about.

Sickening. The kitchen, grime everywhere, the walls, everything. The oven? omfg. just gonna replace that.

They had the audacity to tell me I needed to pay for their 20 yr old nasty washing machine and chandelier. I just wanted them out and this was before I knew, so I said fine, don't pay rent your last month, that should cover it.

Bump
07-28-2012, 11:17 PM
I have a guy coming on monday to heat the house to 160 degrees or whatever it is to kill the bedbugs, its gonna cost a fortune.

Frazod
07-28-2012, 11:18 PM
You should have taken some pictures.

Bump
07-28-2012, 11:21 PM
You should have taken some pictures.

they would never let me in when they lived there, I even offered to replace the windows a couple years ago, but they just flat out said no! I was like, why wouldn't you want new windows? and they just said no thanks, we dont want them. I was like whatever, okay even though I could tell from the outside it's needed.

Munson
07-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Sue the shit out of them for clean up costs and potential lost rent.

CoMoChief
07-28-2012, 11:28 PM
My mom was seeing this one guy....and his entire family are hoarders.

He didn't want to put his mother (who's very elderly and broken down) into assisted living, and he couldn't take care of her himself because he always worked, so he had her move into his home and his sister moved into the basement and was going to take care of the mother.

Well my mother didn't want to get very deep into this relationship (and didn't) because she didn't want to possibly marry this guy and move into a house with his sister and mother and rightfully so, that'd be a giant pain in the ass not to mention they're both hoarders and slobs. They have this knitting hobby and they would just buy more and more knitting and quilting shit and would just leave it around the house, then had to store it all in the garage because there was just no more room. In the basement where the sister lives/sleeps (also keep in mind this woman is single and in her mid 50's), there's a small spot on her bed where there isn't any clothes,junk, quilting shit where she can curl up and sleep.

The sister, also has a knack for finding random garage sales around the metro and then just leaves shit around the thouse and never uses them. Just wastes money and makes giant messes around this guy's house. It got so bad that you couldn't even walk down the hallways or even park a car in the garage. Just ****in ridiculous if you ask me. The mother doesn't nothing but sit in her rocking recliner and bark orders, and shit/piss, snore, and shit more. Her bowls/plates of food are just everywhere in the living room to the point there are little fruit flies flying around and it smells.

Not to mention just random piles of junk laying around the house, some piles waist high blocking doorways, hallways, shit on the stairs (one case you have to skip a step on the staircase) because there's so much shit piled up.

I dont know how people can live like that. Just complete worthless pieces of shit.

Frazod
07-28-2012, 11:30 PM
they would never let me in when they lived there, I even offered to replace the windows a couple years ago, but they just flat out said no! I was like, why wouldn't you want new windows? and they just said no thanks, we dont want them. I was like whatever, okay even though I could tell from the outside it's needed.

How long did they live there?

Bump
07-28-2012, 11:45 PM
How long did they live there?

25 years or so. of straight up hoarding.

Bump
07-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Sue the shit out of them for clean up costs and potential lost rent.

not possible with this states laws. Tenants can practically own the house they rent if they are elderly.

Frazod
07-28-2012, 11:47 PM

Fuck, didn't realize they had been there that long. Hell of a long time to do damage. I'm sure you've got your work cut out for you.

Bump
07-28-2012, 11:48 PM
****, didn't realize they had been there that long. Hell of a long time to do damage. I'm sure you've got your work cut out for you.

yup, the foundation of the house is good at least! lol

Frazod
07-28-2012, 11:50 PM
One of my friends went through this a couple of years ago, only it was his dad's house, and his dad had died there and wasn't discovered for about a week.

I saw the place after he had it cleaned up, but the story he told about cleaning it was nearly enough to make my puke.

Phobia
07-28-2012, 11:55 PM
Yeah - they paid for the house and then some. You are probably going to come out of this just fine.

cabletech94
07-29-2012, 06:35 AM

This house was being rented from a guy in my division on the ship. He was nice enough, but a bit hygienically challenged - perhaps that should have sent up a warning flare. But he invited me and a couple of other guys over one day and we went. Lived in a new house in a new neighborhood in Virginia Beach. Opened the door, and it was basically like that picture, everywhere, only worse. The shock of it was truly amazing. He had a trailer trash wife and a couple of nasty ass little kids, who apparently were on a mission to ruin the place. Not even the walls were spared. It was beyond vile. One of the other guys had to use the bathroom, and said the inside of the tub was black with grime. At one point he asked us if we wanted anything to eat, and I said "No, that's okay. I'll just grab something off the floor."

Obviously we didn't stay long, and never went back. I can't imagine what was going through his mind when he asked us over knowing the place looked like that.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2wg9p2v.jpg

yup. i pulled up to a customers house one day. i knew i was in trouble when the pickup in back was absolutely filled with those heavy duty stretch trash bags. overflowing actually.
kid let me inside, he was having problems with his internet. told me just to follow him (and the path).
every single kind of fast food box, wrapper, cups. everything. looked like the picture above--except for one small thing. add 3 feet in depth. it was horrifying.
when i diagnosed the problem to the kid, he couldn't understand how roaches could lay eggs and corrupt his cable modem. i won't even go into detail on that experience. probably too much for some of you hardasses!!!:D

prhom
07-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Yeah - they paid for the house and then some. You are probably going to come out of this just fine.

This, I mean 25 years with the same tenants I would just assume that the house would need a major remodel anyway. I would own a lot more rentals if I could count on having continuous occupancy for that long.

Bwana
07-29-2012, 09:10 AM

That shot reminds me of an old roommate I had back in the day. He wasn't so much a hoarder, but I'm convinced he was the laziest man alive.

He was too lazy to wash any clothes so rather than do that, he would just go buy new ones. I shit you not, he had at least two feet of stomped down clothes mixed with candy bar wrappers in his room, that he would just walk over. He had kind of a path going on. It looked like a bucket full of assholes lived in there. :shake:

The final straw came when I went into his room one day because a lot of drinking glasses were missing. What I found was as vile as it gets! The nasty pile of shit was to lazy to get up and go take a piss in the middle of the night, so he would just piss in the glasses. He also had half a dozen Snapple bottles full of piss. :spock: WHAT KIND OF A DISGUSTING RAT BASTARD DOES STUFF LIKE THAT, SERIOUSLY, WTF!

When Scooter got home that night I had a come to Jesus chat and he was gone the following Saturday. I made him go out and buy me a new set of glasses, before I would give him any of his stuff and leave a $500 pain in the ass fee behind. (PIA fee) It took me a week to get that room right, even with everything gone.

LiveSteam
07-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Screw owning rental property. My parents went this rout after the oldman retired.
we had a sec -8 house that after the tenets were booted off the system & evicted. Pops & I went into the house, went down stares to find they had busted out part the concrete floor & had a lil pot growing operation going on in the exposed dirt. 1 of the other houses the idiots burned the kitchen up. I could go on & on.

Good luck with your mess Bump. I feel & know your pain

Lonewolf Ed
07-29-2012, 09:33 AM
I worked for a few days clearing out tons of crap from a hoader family's property. They had stuff stacked around starting from the 1930s! There was the main house, a secondary house, and four other buildings, including a garage, and barns. The garage was the worst because in the middle of a massive pile of aluminum cans lay a dead semi-solid cat. Some of the cans had melded with the carcass. Each building was filled with stuff, such as old chairs, sleds, tools, crates, bicycles (one of which was from the 1940s) and I was so happy when someone came and offered them 1100 dollars for everything in the buildings and houses. They had sold some of the crap by holding a yard sale, but that had not put a dent in the accumulated crap they had.

I found one more dead cat in a barn, but it had been there so long that it was practically mummified. I saw a live cat come around another barn and I yelled at it, "Run away! It's not safe for you here!" The state of the secondary house was so bad that the fire department wanted to use it for practice and then burn it down. The mold in the basement, and I mean the entire basement, was not the sole reason to set it ablaze.

mlyonsd
07-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Okay, I think I'm done opening this thread now.

My wife thinks she has hoarder tendencies although she doesn't actually hoard. She does DVR all the new episodes of every hoarding show. So she actually is a hoarder of them.

Phobia
07-29-2012, 11:56 AM
My grandparents lived through the depression and were hoarders. They weren't hoarders of filth though. It was actually pretty clean. But the old man was in the newspaper business so he would keep all the old papers over the years. He had newspapers piled floor to ceiling all over the place. Additionally, he would go to the store and buy soda on sale - more Dr. Pepper than any person could possibly consume. Then it would sit for decades.

When he filled up one house, they just bought another and filled that one as well. Unfortunately, he didn't really hoard much of any kind of value. I'm certain we threw out some valuable newspapers but who wants to spend weeks sorting through millions of newspapers to find the ones that might be worth $50 to a collector?

Bump
07-29-2012, 12:05 PM
My grandparents lived through the depression and were hoarders. They weren't hoarders of filth though. It was actually pretty clean. But the old man was in the newspaper business so he would keep all the old papers over the years. He had newspapers piled floor to ceiling all over the place. Additionally, he would go to the store and buy soda on sale - more Dr. Pepper than any person could possibly consume. Then it would sit for decades.

When he filled up one house, they just bought another and filled that one as well. Unfortunately, he didn't really hoard much of any kind of value. I'm certain we threw out some valuable newspapers but who wants to spend weeks sorting through millions of newspapers to find the ones that might be worth $50 to a collector?

all I found of value was a small but heavy copper pipe and a 1940's silver coin. Everything else was trash, lol.

MOhillbilly
07-29-2012, 12:30 PM
My wife doesn't know the true value of junk.

Phobia
07-29-2012, 12:34 PM
all I found of value was a small but heavy copper pipe and a 1940's silver coin. Everything else was trash, lol.

Grandpa was a coin collector and he had plenty of old coins but he needed some money in the 80's and sent about half his collection off... never got a nickel back. Got scammed. Those old proofs would probably be worth $100k today. My dad and uncle still have the other half of the collection stored in safety deposit boxes. I guess I'll get some of it one day and then probably pass it down to my son.

Bump
07-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Grandpa was a coin collector and he had plenty of old coins but he needed some money in the 80's and sent about half his collection off... never got a nickel back. Got scammed. Those old proofs would probably be worth $100k today. My dad and uncle still have the other half of the collection stored in safety deposit boxes. I guess I'll get some of it one day and then probably pass it down to my son.

very nice, I expect silver to steadily go up in value over time. I like it because it's an edge against inflation, though many think it's too much of a risk. Not me, give me all the silver I can get!

notorious
07-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Gasoline and matches.

Jewish Rabbi
07-29-2012, 12:57 PM
very nice, I expect silver to steadily go up in value over time. I like it because it's an edge against inflation, though many think it's too much of a risk. Not me, give me all the silver I can get!

Silver and gold actually normally go up in value at the same rate of inflation over time.

Bump
07-29-2012, 01:00 PM
Silver and gold actually normally go up in value at the same rate of inflation over time.

I'm not sure how true that is. If you bought a bunch of silver 15 years ago and sold it today you are gonna get way more value than what you paid for it, more than inflation.

I also like it, because it's currency that's been used since earlier than recorded history, it will ALWAYS be viable currency. I like having the metal more so than paper money. Like if there is an economic collapse, which is practical, in the future, you will wish you had gotten some silver because your paper money will be worthless. I like it.

Jewish Rabbi
07-29-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm not sure how true that is. If you bought a bunch of silver 15 years ago and sold it today you are gonna get way more value than what you paid for it, more than inflation.

I also like it, because it's currency that's been used since earlier than recorded history, it will ALWAYS be viable currency. I like having the metal more so than paper money. Like if there is an economic collapse, which is practical, in the future, you will wish you had gotten some silver because your paper money will be worthless. I like it.

No argument that silver has gone up more than inflation in this period of recession. Over time, however, it has historically been pretty even.

And if the shit hits the fan, silver won't do you much good either. People will want to barter something that is actually useful.