PDA

View Full Version : News MS church refuses to marry black couple

Pages : [1] 2

SomeRandomGirl
07-29-2012, 07:17 AM
I did a search and didn't see this posted anywhere yet. Sometimes people still shock me.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/mississippi-church-rejects-black-wedding/story?id=16878536#.UBU2qaN5uuI

By ALON HARISH
July 28, 2012

They had booked their wedding far in advance. The invitations had been sent, the programs printed. But one day before Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson were to be married at the Mississippi church they frequented, they said a pastor told them they would have to find another venue -- because they were black.

There has never been a black wedding at the First Baptist Church in Crystal Springs, Miss., since its founding in 1883. According to Pastor Stan Weatherford, some church members objected so strongly to breaking that precedent, they threatened to oust him from his pastorship.

Rather than risk his job, Weatherford, who is white, said he decided to marry the pair at a black church down the road.

"My 9-year-old was going to the church with us. How would you say to your 9-year-old daughter, 'We cannot get married here because, guess what sweetie, we're black,'" Charles Wilson told ABC's affiliate WAPT-TV.

Outrage over the wedding's forced relocation swept the Jackson suburb of about 5,000 into a media firestorm.

The vast majority of Crystal Springs residents, blacks and whites alike, were "blown away" by the church's decision, said Theresa Norwood, 48, who was born in Crystal Springs and has lived there her entire life.

Norwood said she believes Weatherford should have married the Wilsons regardless of the risk to his job.

"That church was their home," she said. "What would Jesus have done? He would have married them, without a doubt, because it's the right thing to do. We're all God's children."

While the Wilsons were not members of the church, they often attended services there, and Te'Andrea's uncle is an employee of the church, and her father is a member. Charles Wilson told WAPT that the couple had planned to join as members after their wedding, which was planned for July 20.

Weatherford told WLBT-TV in Jackson that he would have liked to marry the couple as planned, but he decided to perform the ceremony elsewhere as a compromise to ensure that the Wilsons could be married while "addressing a need within our congregation."

Norwood, who is black, said her nephew came to worship at First Baptist Church while he was temporarily living with her, having been evacuated from New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. The church "made him feel at home," she said, but now she wonders whether he would return there when he visits Crystal Springs.

The church is now holding internal meetings to figure out how it should respond to future requests by black couples to be married there, Weatherford told WLBT-TV.

For her part, though, Norwood, who is dating a white man, said that if she and her boyfriend decide to get married, they will likely look for a different venue.

AndChiefs
07-29-2012, 07:25 AM
Inexcusable.

Gonzo
07-29-2012, 07:28 AM
I can see a vacation or two being handed out in this thread later today. A few alcohol fueled posts about jumping over brooms and then boom, shot to shit.

Saulbadguy
07-29-2012, 07:40 AM
But but but....it's the pastors opinion!!! He's entitled to it! :rolleyes:

lewdog
07-29-2012, 07:56 AM
A message board for a football team in the Midwest. I can only bet a couple of redneck douchebags on this board will side with what happened here.

Deberg_1990
07-29-2012, 07:59 AM
So they attended church there but couldnt get married there?

We will gladly accept your money on Sundays, but sorry, you cant get married here. :facepalm:

Bwana
07-29-2012, 08:01 AM
I can see a vacation or two being handed out in this thread later today. A few alcohol fueled posts about jumping over brooms and then boom, shot to shit.

Mod abuse!! Reported! :deevee:

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-29-2012, 08:20 AM
I'm so gonna bump this thread in 4 years.

RealSNR
07-29-2012, 08:40 AM
I can see a vacation or two being handed out in this thread later today. A few alcohol fueled posts about jumping over brooms and then boom, shot to shit.You know what this story reminds me of? Harry Potter playing Quidditch and jumping over brooms

RNR
07-29-2012, 08:41 AM
Anybody shocked by this is wearing blinders. This type of nonsense is prevalent in many southern states. In Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, Georgia I have witnessed people speak openly about the KKK. When I first moved to Kinston NC I found a little auto mechanic shop to get my truck inspected. The 2nd time I was there for some brake work, I was talking with one of the mechanics and he asked me if I had found a church yet. I simply said no as I was not interested in the conversation.

On cue quickly recommended his church adding it was the right kind of church. I found that odd and could not help but ask about it even though I have no interest in attending any church. He went on about how great the pastor is and the service is wonderful and...you have already guessed, blacks do not attend it. I told him I was an agnostic and most likely not be joining any church no matter what color the members are. He gave me a look of shock and walked away, I have not returned. The place I use now is owned by a black guy. He has never invited me to his church or even mentioned it...maybe white people do not attend it or maybe he doesn't attend one. Either way I prefer his service and the topics of conversation~

Dave Lane
07-29-2012, 08:43 AM
So this election cycle has more than not marrying gays to worry about? I always knew there was a longing by some to return to the past but damn.

Dave Lane
07-29-2012, 08:47 AM
You know theres lots of things I like / admire about the South but this and the religious stuff really puts me off don't think I could keep my mouth shut and mind my business. Thanks for being a standup dude, the South needs more like you.

I just bought a farm in the country about 75 miles from KC and man I keep my mouth shut tight :)

Anybody shocked by this is wearing blinders. This type of nonsense is prevalent in many southern states. In Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, Georgia I have witnessed people speak openly about the KKK. When I first moved to Kinston NC I found a little auto mechanic shop to get my truck inspected. The 2nd time I was there for some brake work, I was talking with one of the mechanics and he asked me if I had found a church yet. I simply said no as I was not interested in the conversation.

On cue quickly recommended his church adding it was the right kind of church. I found that odd and could not help but ask about it even though I have no interest in attending any church. He went on about how great the pastor is and the service is wonderful and...you have already guessed, blacks do not attend it. I told him I was an agnostic and most likely not be joining any church no matter what color the members are. He gave me a look of shock and walked away, I have not returned. The place I use now is owned by a black guy. He has never invited me to his church or even mentioned it...maybe white people do not attend it or maybe he doesn't attend one. Either way I prefer his service and the topics of conversation~

Dave Lane
07-29-2012, 08:49 AM
"That church was their home," she said. "What would Jesus have done? He would have married them, without a doubt, because it's the right thing to do. We're all God's children."

Now gays on the other hand!

Sassy Squatch
07-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Do gay midgets come out of cabinets instead of closets?

Frazod
07-29-2012, 09:07 AM
The little country church I went to as a kid was like this - a handful of families controlled the place and treated it as their own little country club. If the preacher said or did something they didn't approve of (and they didn't approve of much), he got canned.

Of course, race has never been an issue, since I doubt if a black person has ever set foot inside it. But I doubt if it would go over too well.

07-29-2012, 09:07 AM
What does Microsoft have to to with this.

:)

Otter
07-29-2012, 09:14 AM
If society had an ounce of intelligence they would simply turn their backs on the church and let it rot. But no, it will make the news, become a nationally known entity and learn to spin that for success one way or another.

I like to call this "The GoChiefs Business Model".

RNR
07-29-2012, 09:16 AM
If society had an ounce of intelligence they would simply turn their backs on the church and let it rot. But no, it will make the news, become a nationally known entity and learn to spin that for success one way or another.

I like to call this "The GoChiefs Business Model".

LMAO

mikey23545
07-29-2012, 09:40 AM

Yes, I believe all churches should be regulated by Congress.

Or people could be allowed to attend whatever church they choose, no matter how abhorrent some of them may seem to us.

Bowser
07-29-2012, 09:43 AM
What a bunch of racist fucktards.

07-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Curious, did the pastor ever actually say he wouldn't marry them because they were black or is that just an assumption of the article? Yes, I did see the part where a black couple has never been married at the church.

I don't agree with it, I'm just curious. It amazes me that we would still have churches that would do something like this.

mdstu
07-29-2012, 09:49 AM
The little country church I went to as a kid was like this - a handful of families controlled the place and treated it as their own little country club. If the preacher said or did something they didn't approve of (and they didn't approve of much), he got canned.

Of course, race has never been an issue, since I doubt if a black person has ever set foot inside it. But I doubt if it would go over too well.

The little country church I went to as a kid was the same way. (Methodist)
We had a female pastor for about a year and a half. Members left the church that had been going there 40-50 years.

Ming the Merciless
07-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Stupid ****ing guy.....Wow...

Its hard to believe that shit happens still, I mean....its easy to forget , living in California.....(for good or bad, people here seem to be fairly open to any color,religion,lifestyle choice etc....)

milkman
07-29-2012, 10:01 AM

Its hard to believe that shit happens still, I mean....its easy to forget , living in California.....(for good or bad, people here seem to be fairly open to any color,religion,lifestyle choice etc....)

People in California generally do a better job of hiding their prejudice, but it's still alive and well.

Dave Lane
07-29-2012, 10:03 AM
People in California generally do a better job of hiding their prejudice, but it's still alive and well.

Generally they are more accepting of people. But yes you are spot on.

Ming the Merciless
07-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Generally they are more accepting of people. But yes you are spot on.

Call it what you will, 'hiding' prejudice...Or letting some Black people get married in a church...

Yah, we do more of that here.

Imon Yourside
07-29-2012, 10:25 AM
I wouldn't attend that whorehouse anyways.....The white sheet meetings would be a dead giveaway.

Easy 6
07-29-2012, 10:34 AM
That church should be stripped of its Baptist title & anything else that makes them sound Christian.

In58men
07-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Racism still exists?

RNR
07-29-2012, 10:44 AM
That church should be stripped of its Baptist title & anything else that makes them sound Christian.

Do you really think moving that direction is wise? Who gets to decide what is acceptable in religious beliefs? The price of freedom is protecting the worst to protect the best~

Easy 6
07-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Do you really think moving that direction is wise? Who gets to decide what is acceptable in religious beliefs? The price of freedom is protecting the worst to protect the best~

While i'm certainly no Christian theologian, there is apparently nothing even remotely Christian about that church's values.

Dave Lane
07-29-2012, 11:00 AM
While i'm certainly no Christian theologian, there is apparently nothing even remotely Christian about that church's values.

What about Westboro Baptist?

RNR
07-29-2012, 11:03 AM

That is not the point. Fred Phelps claims he stands for Christian values also. It does not matter this country was founded on religious freedom. This must be protected no matter how many shitbags abuse that right~

Easy 6
07-29-2012, 11:04 AM
What about Westboro Baptist?

Same deal, they're a cult not a church.

They can call themselves whatever, but anyone with two eyes knows better.

ThaVirus
07-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Isn't the object of Christianity to live as Christ-like as possible? Its hard to fathom how they are able to wake up every Sunday and step into their church clothes with those kinds of morals.

Dave Lane
07-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Isn't the object of Christianity to live as Christ-like as possible? Its hard to fathom how they are able to wake up every Sunday and step into their church clothes with those kinds of morals.

100 years from now people will say the same thing about married gay people. But right now, its an "issue".

L.A. Chieffan
07-29-2012, 11:26 AM
JFC, 2012. Get over it people

Saulbadguy
07-29-2012, 11:33 AM
100 years from now people will say the same thing about married gay people. But right now, its an "issue".

This, undoubtably.

stevieray
07-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Isn't the object of Christianity to live as Christ-like as possible?

No.....our works are as filthy rags.

Cannibal
07-29-2012, 11:52 AM

Good point.

Just Passin' By
07-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Not my business. Their church, their rules.

Two-Twenty
07-29-2012, 12:04 PM
A young white guy I knew once told me that one of the primary reasons for this type of racism was the bible. He claimed that Christians are taught that being black was a curse. He had scripture to back it up. Specifically the story of Noah and his curse on Ham and Caanan.

Ive lived in a few southern states like Georgia, Mississippi, Missouri so I wasn't "surprised" by his revelation at all; but what I was surprised by is how widely accepted this ideology was. I did some research and saw those very scriptures used to justify slavery, looking down on interracial relationships and other racist philosophies.

Many southern Christians feel this way. And since it's "biblical" they don't consider it racist.

I'm not Christian for deeper reasons than this but I find it disgusting that so many people blindly follow religion.

RNR
07-29-2012, 12:09 PM

I would be interested in how many people really see this as an issue right now. One of the few things Barry has done as president that I agree with is stand up and admit it is time to move past it. That said he was very cowardly about it. The snake handling Baptists had a huge push to enhance the anti gay marriage law with an amendment to the state constitution. Had he showed the courage to state his views before this vote instead of right after it, I would have been more impressed~

stevieray
07-29-2012, 12:18 PM
good point...is a Roman Catholic Church going to perform the ceremony another faith? such as Lutheran? a mosque marrying Jews?

other points glossed over...The pastor did marry them, just not in the buliding.

.....they were not members...which I find odd, considering they wanted to be married there.

...the pastor addressed the need to minister to the small contingent who opposed this...people in church need ministered to? shocking!

unfortunately,we now live in a culture where the tail wags the dog...there is a lesson to be learned for all involved.

let's not pretend this ugliness defines are dismantles the validity/need of Christ, it just confrims it.

Saulbadguy
07-29-2012, 01:04 PM
good point...is a Roman Catholic Church going to perform the ceremony another faith? such as Lutheran? a mosque marrying Jews?

other points glossed over...The pastor did marry them, just not in the buliding.

.....they were not members...which I find odd, considering they wanted to be married there.

...the pastor addressed the need to minister to the small contingent who opposed this...people in church need ministered to? shocking!

unfortunately,we now live in a culture where the tail wags the dog...there is a lesson to be learned for all involved.

let's not pretend this ugliness defines are dismantles the validity/need of Christ, it just confrims it.
Good job defending this despicable behavior.

stevieray
07-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Good job defending this despicable behavior.
...is that what I did? don't think so..key word is ugliness.

no, Saul, what I think is every time God is brought up, here you are....like something inside of you burns...

....good luck with that.

Pitt Gorilla
07-29-2012, 01:12 PM
I'd certainly defend the church's right to do what they did. However, they should stop pretending their church has anything to do with Christ.

Mr. Plow
07-29-2012, 01:36 PM

Jesus your a dumbass.

Saulbadguy
07-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Jesus your a dumbass.

You're and idiot genious.

Pitt Gorilla
07-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Jesus your a dumbass.ROFL

Phobia
07-29-2012, 01:52 PM
I get what you did there and it's not entirely unfair. But....
The only thing these two things have in common is that they're both subjected to hate from bigots. Other than that, there really isn't any other commonality.

Backwards Masking
07-29-2012, 01:54 PM
This is why churches get tax exempt status, because what they do is better than what everybody else does.

-King-
07-29-2012, 01:56 PM
good point...is a Roman Catholic Church going to perform the ceremony another faith? such as Lutheran? a mosque marrying Jews? Uh, that wasn't the issue. The couple were Christians and Baptists.

That's the problem.

.....they were not members...which I find odd, considering they wanted to be married there. They frequented the church and had booked the wedding far in advance. If they needed to be be members to marry each other, that should have been cleared up when the Church booked the wedding.

let's not pretend this ugliness defines are dismantles the validity/need of Christ, it just confrims it.LMAO

Backwards Masking
07-29-2012, 02:01 PM

:eek: Wow. Just wow.

Saulbadguy
07-29-2012, 02:08 PM
I get what you did there and it's not entirely unfair. But....
The only thing these two things have in common is that they're both subjected to hate from bigots. Other than that, there really isn't any other commonality.

That's a pretty large piece of common ground.

Mr. Plow
07-29-2012, 02:18 PM
You're and idiot genious.

Much appreciated.

Rain Man
07-29-2012, 02:21 PM
As long as they don't get tax breaks they can do whatever they want, right?

Mr. Plow
07-29-2012, 02:24 PM
ROFL

Forgive me.... "you're".

Rain Man
07-29-2012, 02:28 PM

So if they want to ban people for reasons you don't agree with, you're not going to say anything?

Just Passin' By
07-29-2012, 03:15 PM
So if they want to ban people for reasons you don't agree with, you're not going to say anything?

I don't attend their church. That seems to be a bit different from what you are attempting to refer to.

blaise
07-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Acting like this church's actions represent Christian values as a whole is similar to someone saying most black people are criminals when they hear a story about a black dude committing a crime.

blaise
07-29-2012, 03:24 PM
And you don't have to look far to see someone who thinks backwards things like this. We have one right here on this board that openly says races shouldn't mix, all the time.

Dave Lane
07-29-2012, 03:32 PM
And you don't have to look far to see someone who thinks backwards things like this. We have one right here on this board that openly says races shouldn't mix, all the time.

Say hi to Vail for me :)

07-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Jesus your a dumbass.

Jesus is NOT a dumbass.o:-)

Setsuna
07-29-2012, 04:07 PM
That's what you get for living in MS. There are plenty of other better states.

listopencil
07-29-2012, 05:14 PM

Yeah, they can always go to a different church. Why does everyone want to destroy freedom of religion?

listopencil
07-29-2012, 05:18 PM

I live in California. My brother has been pulled over for Driving While Black more times than I can count. I think he was even charged with Aggravated Driving While Black: White Woman In The Vehicle.

Ace Gunner
07-29-2012, 05:23 PM

whitey knows what it is being black american. just listen. son.

kysirsoze
07-29-2012, 06:20 PM
I live in California. My brother has been pulled over for Driving While Black more times than I can count. I think he was even charged with Aggravated Driving While Black: White Woman In The Vehicle.

LMAO

kysirsoze
07-29-2012, 06:21 PM
I'm curious, I understand the outrage and share it, but are there people here suggesting the church should have been forced to marry them there?

BWillie
07-29-2012, 06:25 PM
I'm curious, I understand the outrage and share it, but are there people here suggesting the church should have been forced to marry them there?

Yes. Weren't they a member of the church even?

Gravedigger
07-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Racism won't die. Not in our lifetimes. They have the right to their views, however incorrect they are, but I wouldn't choose to associate with them. Passing on "values" like this to our younger generations is a major reason why racism won't die anytime soon.

listopencil
07-29-2012, 07:22 PM

I don't know if anyone is saying that. All I am saying is that the pastor is a chicken shit.

Rain Man
07-29-2012, 07:28 PM

I really don't know that answer to this, but is any commercial establishment allowed to discriminate based on race? I remember my Greensboro history, but did the sit-in change the law, or was its success merely the result of market forces?

It's hard to imagine that a commercial establishment is allowed to discriminate on race, and I would certainly consider a church to be a commercial establishment. I know that apartments are not allowed, and presume no one is. And religion be damned; per my earlier post, if they're able to get out of paying taxes, they darn well should be open to anyone and everyone who wants to get service there.

chop
07-29-2012, 07:38 PM
I don't agree with not marrying them at the Church.

On a separate note, how do you all feel about that website Black People Meet? I see the advertising on TV and it made me wonder how people would react if there was an advertisement for white people meet. I don't have a problem with the site but it makes me think there would be an outcry of racism if it was in reverse.

Ace Gunner
07-29-2012, 07:49 PM

Not I. But I do think this article is important to americans. The pastor could have saved us this trouble though, if he'd simply put a sign out to let folks know he is a bigot. You know, a sign like the one restaurants post that reads something along the lines of "we reserve the right to refuse service" except his could read "no black weddings performed". Then we'd know what he is.

RNR
07-29-2012, 07:50 PM

On a separate note, how do you all feel about that website Black People Meet? I see the advertising on TV and it made me wonder how people would react if there was an advertisement for white people meet. I don't have a problem with the site but it make me think there would be an outcry of racism if it was in reverse.

The same question came up over Obama promoting blacks to vote for him during black history month. Imagine the reaction if Mitt promoted something called whites voting for Mitt. BTW maybe he should start white history month to promote it~

rtmike
07-29-2012, 08:05 PM

On a separate note, how do you all feel about that website Black People Meet? I see the advertising on TV and it made me wonder how people would react if there was an advertisement for white people meet. I don't have a problem with the site but it make me think there would be an outcry of racism if it was in reverse.

Or what if there was a WET like Black Entertainment Television.
or the color beauty pageants
or National Association of Black Journalists
or Colleges for Black Folk Only
or African American Spelling Bees

All this does is keep racism alive, imo.

Setsuna
07-29-2012, 08:21 PM

I for one think it's fucking retarded to the infinite. But funny to look at.

listopencil
07-29-2012, 08:31 PM

Let's ask Morgan Freeman:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2TgyUEXUAME/T00XS-I_6RI/AAAAAAAAALU/kro4L1s3vd0/s1600/Morgan+Freeman+Racism.jpg

Dave Lane
07-29-2012, 09:05 PM
I really don't know that answer to this, but is any commercial establishment allowed to discriminate based on race? I remember my Greensboro history, but did the sit-in change the law, or was its success merely the result of market forces?

It's hard to imagine that a commercial establishment is allowed to discriminate on race, and I would certainly consider a church to be a commercial establishment. I know that apartments are not allowed, and presume no one is. And religion be damned; per my earlier post, if they're able to get out of paying taxes, they darn well should be open to anyone and everyone who wants to get service there.

Completely this.

MOhillbilly
07-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Fuck that church

beach tribe
07-29-2012, 09:42 PM
The preacher
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2i9iTYe6tEk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ace Gunner
07-29-2012, 09:45 PM
oh fuck, Dave rules:D

-King-
07-29-2012, 09:49 PM

The majority of these things were started in the 50s-70s out of necessity.

rtmike
07-30-2012, 12:49 AM
The majority of these things were started in the 50s-70s out of necessity.

Does that mean it's OK for 2012?

Chief_For_Life58
07-30-2012, 01:21 AM
A message board for a football team in the Midwest. I can only bet a couple of redneck douchebags on this board will side with what happened here.

wait...whats wrong with his mississippi church?

Dave Lane
07-30-2012, 07:12 AM
You know how I know someone is a racist? When they start crying about reverse racism.

Saulbadguy
07-30-2012, 07:55 AM
You know how I know someone is a racist? When they start crying about reverse racism.

I enjoy the "white entertainment channel" and "white history month" arguments.

Garcia Bronco
07-30-2012, 08:21 AM
I did a search and didn't see this posted anywhere yet. Sometimes people still shock me.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/mississippi-church-rejects-black-wedding/story?id=16878536#.UBU2qaN5uuI

then I would be ousted. It's not hard to do the right thing if you try.

Strongside
07-30-2012, 08:28 AM
http://www.trews.org/sites/default/files/images/klan.jpg

bevischief
07-30-2012, 08:34 AM
Doesn't surprise me at all.

Garcia Bronco
07-30-2012, 08:40 AM
validity/need of Christ, it just confrims it.

Amen. I was thinking the same.

Micjones
07-30-2012, 08:43 AM
The most racist/regressive state in the Union.

In other news...
Water is wet. "Back to you, Connie."

Frazod
07-30-2012, 09:05 AM
http://www.trews.org/sites/default/files/images/klan.jpg

Holy shit LMAO

Two-Twenty
07-30-2012, 09:06 AM

This stupid shit comes up in every discussion about race

"why is there BET?" "what if there was a channel called "WET?"

Shut the fuck up with that dumbass argument! Black people don't give a fuck if you start a channel called WET! FUCKING DO IT!!! I bet it would be the most successful channel in the history of the fucking world seeing as how some of you fuckers constantly bring it up...

You could play shows like full house and Gilmore girls and how I met your mother and 2 & 1/2 men and DAMN NEAR EVERY SINGLE FUCKING SHOW ON TELEVISION YOU IDIOTS!!!

& there is no such thing as a college for ONLY blacks. They are called HISTORICALLY black colleges and universities because HISTORICALLY, white Americans did/do dumb shit like disallow blacks from attending the same schools or churches as you people because of what? Someone answer that question for me....

There are 1000's of members on this board and every time a fucking thread dealing with race comes up NOBODY can understand it, everybody is fucking "outraged".

Yeah right fuck outta here with that shit

Micjones
07-30-2012, 09:08 AM

Shut the **** up with that dumbass argument! Black people don't give a **** if you start a channel called WET! ****ING DO IT!!! I bet it would be the most successful channel in the history of the ****ing world seeing as how some of you ****ers constantly bring it up...

You could play shows like full house and Gilmore girls and how I met your mother and 2 & 1/2 men and DAMN NEAR EVERY SINGLE ****ING SHOW ON TELEVISION YOU IDIOTS!!!

& there is no such thing as a college for ONLY blacks. They are called HISTORICALLY black colleges and universities because HISTORICALLY, white Americans did/do dumb shit like disallow blacks from attending the same schools or churches as you people because of what? Someone answer that question for me....

There are 1000's of members on this board and every time a ****ing thread dealing with race comes up NOBODY can understand it, everybody is ****ing "outraged".

Yeah right **** outta here with that shit

This used to be my job. /tear
Rep.

Two-Twenty
07-30-2012, 09:10 AM
I think I'll start WET

Maybe with Danes help I'll become a billionaire.

If you're reading this Dane McCloud, I live in Hollywood. We should meet up and discuss business.

Saulbadguy
07-30-2012, 09:11 AM

Shut the fuck up with that dumbass argument! Black people don't give a fuck if you start a channel called WET! FUCKING DO IT!!! I bet it would be the most successful channel in the history of the fucking world seeing as how some of you fuckers constantly bring it up...

You could play shows like full house and Gilmore girls and how I met your mother and 2 & 1/2 men and DAMN NEAR EVERY SINGLE FUCKING SHOW ON TELEVISION YOU IDIOTS!!!

There are 1000's of members on this board and every time a fucking thread dealing with race comes up NOBODY can understand it, everybody is fucking "outraged".

Yeah right fuck outta here with that shit

ROFL

Micjones
07-30-2012, 09:15 AM

The need for Black-focused entertainment is still necessary.
Blacks are still woefully underrepresented on television.

You can also stop pretending there aren't White-focused television networks.
Surely you've seen CMT (and Fox, and CBS, and NBC and ABC).

The same arguments can be made about education, the field of journalism (on down the line)...

The elephant in the room is this idea that Whites ought never to be excluded from anything that minorities do. WET, using the N-word, etc. It's never been an issue though. That's the sick part about it.

ThaVirus
07-30-2012, 09:30 AM

I'm not sure where churches fall in the discussion but denying service to someone based on race, color, religion, etc. was outlawed due to the Interstate Commerce Clause.

tooge
07-30-2012, 10:37 AM
maybe they thought Te Andrea was short for tight end. they don't allow same sex marriages?

tooge
07-30-2012, 10:39 AM

The same arguments can be made about education, the field of journalism (on down the line)...

The elephant in the room is this idea that Whites ought never to be excluded from anything that minorities do. WET, using the N-word, etc. It's never been an issue though. That's the sick part about it.

I saw Darius Rucker on CMT once. I don't think most blacks consider his as one of their own, seeing as he sings country music.

vailpass
07-30-2012, 10:45 AM

On a separate note, how do you all feel about that website Black People Meet? I see the advertising on TV and it made me wonder how people would react if there was an advertisement for white people meet. I don't have a problem with the site but it makes me think there would be an outcry of racism if it was in reverse.

Why shouldn't there be a site or a club for people to meet like-minded people?
Star Wars Geeks Meet.
Jews Meet.
Lesbian Golfers Meet.
Black People Meet.

The minute all sides quit being hypersensitive and admit it is our differences that make us stronger the easier life will be.

vailpass
07-30-2012, 10:46 AM

Agreed.

Setsuna
07-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Did SomeRandomGirl ever post again past the OP? If not that should be an immediate ban.

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 11:01 AM

Shut the **** up with that dumbass argument! Black people don't give a **** if you start a channel called WET! ****ING DO IT!!! I bet it would be the most successful channel in the history of the ****ing world seeing as how some of you ****ers constantly bring it up...

You could play shows like full house and Gilmore girls and how I met your mother and 2 & 1/2 men and DAMN NEAR EVERY SINGLE ****ING SHOW ON TELEVISION YOU IDIOTS!!!

There are 1000's of members on this board and every time a ****ing thread dealing with race comes up NOBODY can understand it, everybody is ****ing "outraged".

Yeah right **** outta here with that shit

I'd also add that most white people think there is a racial divide, because they think everyone notices their whiteness. Like, I'm out playing basketball with black guys, and I'm constantly aware of my whiteness. (Note: not my lack of athleticism, just my whiteness. My athleticism would be horrible no matter my race).

White people think that black groups are created for the purpose of excluding them. they are not. They are for the building up of a nation of disenfranchised people that have been systematically and routinely kept on the fringe of society by their own government.

And don't give me the "Durr I didn't own slaves and u weren't a slave that was a 150 years ago!"

Slavery ended 147 years ago. There are black men and women alive today whose grandparents were born into slavery. think about that. There are black men and women alive today whose parents were the first generation of black people born free in this country without the threat of enslavement.

And yet, they also faced the threat of murder, rape, theft, violence, and mass discrimination in public sentiment, law, and business with impunity.

If these people complaining had fathers who were paid 1/2 what other workers were paid; weren't allowed to ride the same transportation; couldn't vote for the president; couldn't go to school with the other students; had shittier schools were the local government intentionally deprived them of funding and materials and opportunity; and had absolutely no family history, money, or property because it was ****ING ILLEGAL TO HAVE IT one generation back, then I don't think they'd be complaining that there is a cable channel dedicated to their entertainment.

Gimme a ****ing break here people. Just because it's 2012 doesn't mean there isn't vastly, deeply felt residual effects of one group of Americans owning the lives of a second group.

They should just STFU until they read more. Then go to Amazon.com and order A People's History of the United States. Then go to the Smithsonian institute and think.

Then you can post about reverse racism.

vailpass
07-30-2012, 11:03 AM
I'd also add that most white people think there is a racial divide, because they think everyone notices their whiteness. Like, I'm out playing basketball with black guys, and I'm constantly aware of my whiteness. (Note: not my lack of athleticism, just my whiteness. My athleticism would be horrible no matter my race).

White people think that black groups are created for the purpose of excluding them. they are not. They are for the building up of a nation of disenfranchised people that have been systematically and routinely kept on the fringe of society by their own government.

And don't give me the "Durr I didn't own slaves and u weren't a slave that was a 150 years ago!"

Slavery ended 147 years ago. There are black men and women alive today whose grandparents were born into slavery. think about that. There are black men and women alive today whose parents were the first generation of black people born free in this country without the threat of enslavement.

And yet, they also faced the threat of murder, rape, theft, violence, and mass discrimination in public sentiment, law, and business.

If these people complaining had fathers who were paid 1/2 what other workers were paid; weren't allowed to ride the same transportation; couldn't vote for the president; couldn't go to school with the other students; had shittier schools were the local government intentionally deprived them of funding and materials and opportunity; and had absolutely no family history, money, or property because it was ****ING ILLEGAL TO HAVE IT one generation back, then I don't think they'd be complaining that there is a cable channel dedicated to their entertainment.

Gimme a ****ing break here people. Just because it's 2012 doesn't mean there isn't vastly, deeply felt residual effects of one group of Americans owning the lives of a second group.

They should just STFU until they read more. Then go to Amazon.com and order A People's History of the United States. Then go to the Smithsonian institute and think.

Thanks for being part of the problem.

Just Passin' By
07-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Not surprisingly, this thread got really, really stupid.

Setsuna
07-30-2012, 11:40 AM

And yet, they also faced the threat of murder, rape, theft, violence, and mass discrimination in public sentiment, law, and business with impunity.

I'm going to drop some knowledge on your ignorant ass.

- Whiteness doesn't exist. You either excel at something or you don't. You're stupid by just saying that.

- Black groups are created to exclude every other race, not just white people. Or did you forget there were other races? Get over yourself. They don't build up anything. It's more like a cult to be honest. And a hive mind of entitlement. And what it's doing is making the rift between races wider.

- You bring up things that happened in the past as if they are happening now. Which they aren't. So that argument or point you had is moot.

- Vastly, deeply felt residual effects? Has your mind broken in two? I, personally, don't feel anything. You know why? I've let the past, be what is damn well is, THE PAST. What my parents and grandparents and their parents did was not allow the past to fester like a disease throughout the generations to become full blown resentment and unwarranted self pity which is the reason for all the lingering issues between black people and everyone else.

Again I must reiterate that you, saphojunkie, are a tard of the highest order.

bevischief
07-30-2012, 11:45 AM
:popcorn:

Two-Twenty
07-30-2012, 11:49 AM

- Whiteness doesn't exist. You either excel at something or you don't. You're stupid by just saying that.

- Black groups are created to exclude every other race, not just white people. Or did you forget there were other races? Get over yourself. They don't build up anything. It's more like a cult to be honest. And a hive mind of entitlement. And what it's doing is making the rift between races wider.

- You bring up things that happened in the past as if they are happening now. Which they aren't. So that argument or point you had is moot.

- Vastly, deeply felt residual effects? Has your mind broken in two? I, personally, don't feel anything. You know why? I've let the past, be what is damn well is, THE PAST. What my parents and grandparents and their parents did was not allow the past to fester like a disease throughout the generations to become full blown resentment and unwarranted self pity which is the reason for all the lingering issues between black people and everyone else.

I fucking hate you

-King-
07-30-2012, 11:51 AM

No they're not. Do you really think white owned newspapers/other media outlets were jumping at the chance to hire black people in the 60s? Fuck no. So black people had to create the NABJ so have a chance to get into the field.

These groups weren't created to exclude. They were created out of necessity.

vailpass
07-30-2012, 11:52 AM
I ****ing hate you

With which specific statements of his do you disagree?

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 11:52 AM

I'm confused by your confusion.

My point is that white people feeling like there is such a thing as "whiteness" is retarded. I was being editorial by talking about playing basketball and noticing my whiteness. I was not being literal. I do not notice my "whiteness" or my "european heritage."

My point, if I can make it as clearly as possible, is that minority groups are not created to exclude white people - white people just complain that they are. They are not made to exclude ANY racial group, at least theoretically. I cannot speak for all minority groups, obviously.

My point is simply this: Any white person complaining of reverse racism has lost sight of just how difficult and deeply ingrained the racial oppression of black people truly is. Any person who thinks that oppression is not actively felt today simply is ignoring the statistics. Minorities, I believe, should have special treatment. I do not think this country has done nearly enough to ensure that the disadvantage levied against minorities by white people has been reversed.

If you think that is retarded, so be it.

Donger
07-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Minorities, I believe, should have special treatment. I do not think this country has done nearly enough to ensure that the disadvantage levied against minorities by white people has been reversed.

If you think that is retarded, so be it.

Like a few extra votes, say in an election for POTUS?

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Like a few extra votes, say in an election for POTUS?

No. Like scholarships.

Donger
07-30-2012, 11:59 AM
No. Like scholarships.

I don't think that any scholarship should be exclusive to a single race, as long as they are bright, clean, articulate and nice-looking.

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 12:00 PM

By the way, all you dropped was opinion. Patiently awaiting the knowledge, especially the empirical evidence supporting your "hive mind of entitlement."

Also, just because YOU don't personally feel the effects of hundreds of years of discrimination doesn't mean that others don't personally feel it. And whether or not anyone personally feels it has absolutely no bearing on whether or not those effects are present and directly affecting the lives of those individuals.

Rain Man
07-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Why shouldn't there be a site or a club for people to meet like-minded people?
Star Wars Geeks Meet.
Jews Meet.
Lesbian Golfers Meet.
Black People Meet.

The minute all sides quit being hypersensitive and admit it is our differences that make us stronger the easier life will be.

White people meet, too, but they just call it NASCAR.

Two-Twenty
07-30-2012, 12:07 PM

You've got to blame someone for "all the lingering issues", why not blame black people!

black people's "full blown resentment and unwarranted self pity" is surely the reason for racism! If black people would just "get over it" everything would be fine!

I cant believe that anyone would argue that a civilization or race or country or that country's peoples history does not have a direct impact on the present.

Go pick up a history book.

Any history book

vailpass
07-30-2012, 12:09 PM
By the way, all you dropped was opinion. Patiently awaiting the knowledge, especially the empirical evidence supporting your "hive mind of entitlement."

Also, just because YOU don't personally feel the effects of hundreds of years of discrimination doesn't mean that others don't personally feel it. And whether or not anyone personally feels it has absolutely no bearing on whether or not those effects are present and directly affecting the lives of those individuals.

White guy telling it how it is.

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 12:14 PM
I don't think that any scholarship should be exclusive to a single race, as long as they are bright, clean, articulate and nice-looking.

It's a valid argument. Personally, I think we have lost generations of brilliant minds due to racism. I think there were chemists, engineers, medical doctors, physicists, philosophers, architects, etymologists, cultural anthropologists, sculptors, zoologists, cancer researchers, and political activists that spent their entire lives working as cheap labor in a field, or working in a slaughterhouse for $1.50 a day. or any number of jobs they were forced to do/take because they were legally denied the simple opportunity of education and advancement by their government.

My point in saying this is that there are numerous minds out there who do not have the economic advantages of the descendants of white people of science and industry. I would hate to lose out on their talents, because they could not afford to go to the best schools.

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 12:16 PM
You've got to blame someone for "all the lingering issues", why not blame black people!

black people's "full blown resentment and unwarranted self pity" is surely the reason for racism! If black people would just "get over it" everything would be fine!

I cant believe that anyone would argue that a civilization or race or country or that country's peoples history does not have a direct impact on the present.

Any history book

An interesting point. We want to start changing things, we need more black history teachers. I think we'll find the euro-centric slanting of our classrooms will make way for a more universal understanding of our country's history.

Rain Man
07-30-2012, 12:16 PM

Any history book

Okay, now what?

https://woodlibrarymuseum.org/store/img/The%20History%20of%20Surgical%20Anesthesia.jpg

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 12:18 PM

LMAO

Two-Twenty
07-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Okay, now what?

https://woodlibrarymuseum.org/store/img/The%20History%20of%20Surgical%20Anesthesia.jpg

Now read the shit

If if you can tell me that the history of doctors performing surgical anesthesia doesn't have a DIRECT impact on the present practices of said profession, then I will shut the fuck up.

But Setsuna will still be black

Fansy the Famous Bard
07-30-2012, 12:25 PM
When work moved me down to Mobile, Alabama about a decade ago... We looked up the school my son was going to go to, pleased to know it was only 2 blocks away. Went down to the registrar to get him enrolled and started. The lady at the registrar (who was black) flat out said, "your son won't go to that school. He'll go to this one here, no white kids go to that school." and made us travel about 2 miles to that school. No bus route or anything.

I was in utter shock at the time, and didn't know what to say. I lived a sheltered life growing up, unaware that segregation still existed like this in the US... I assumed most of the "segregation" was done naturally through "neighborhoods" into feeding specific schools causing more or all races to be at a specific school.... not flat out segregation like this.

vailpass
07-30-2012, 12:30 PM
It's a valid argument. Personally, I think we have lost generations of brilliant minds due to racism. I think there were chemists, engineers, medical doctors, physicists, philosophers, architects, etymologists, cultural anthropologists, sculptors, zoologists, cancer researchers, and political activists that spent their entire lives working as cheap labor in a field, or working in a slaughterhouse for $1.50 a day. or any number of jobs they were forced to do/take because they were legally denied the simple opportunity of education and advancement by their government.

My point in saying this is that there are numerous minds out there who do not have the economic advantages of the descendants of white people of science and industry. I would hate to lose out on their talents, because they could not afford to go to the best schools.

You think the requirement that the recipients all be nice looking is a valid argument? Maybe we aren't so different after all.

vailpass
07-30-2012, 12:32 PM
When work moved me down to Mobile, Alabama about a decade ago... We looked up the school my son was going to go to, pleased to know it was only 2 blocks away. Went down to the registrar to get him enrolled and started. The lady at the registrar (who was black) flat out said, "your son won't go to that school. He'll go to this one here, no white kids go to that school." and made us travel about 2 miles to that school. No bus route or anything.

I was in utter shock at the time, and didn't know what to say. I lived a sheltered life growing up, unaware that segregation still existed like this in the US... I assumed most of the "segregation" was done naturally through "neighborhoods" into feeding specific schools causing more or all races to be at a specific school.... not flat out segregation like this.

In retrospect are you glad the registrar directed your son to the other school, not glad, or indifferent?

HemiEd
07-30-2012, 12:46 PM

vailpass
07-30-2012, 12:48 PM
CAN A BROTHA' GET A TABLE DANCE!!??!

Rain Man
07-30-2012, 12:53 PM

Before I started my company I worked at another consulting firm. One of the guys there did housing studies, and he won a project in Louisiana to assess the feasibility of an affordable housing complex. He went down there to talk to people about it, and one of the questions they would ask was "Is this going to be a white complex or a black complex?"

I realize that things are a bit different in some parts of the country than in the places I grew up.

I always kind of scratch my head about why black people stay in places like Mississippi and Louisiana. I sure wouldn't if these attitudes exist. Do they have a black brain drain where the most motivated people move elsewhere? I realize that I may be at one end of the norm when it comes to willingness to move, but geez, it seems like most people would naturally want to go where they have the most opportunity.

ThaVirus
07-30-2012, 12:56 PM
The only thing worse than the people that cry racism at every turn are those that act like it doesn't exist.

McWickedson
07-30-2012, 12:57 PM

Uhhh:

eHarmony

Match.com

DateHookup.com

Singlesnet.com

PerfectMatch.com

and on and on...

LOL at non-blacks complaining about race.

McWickedson
07-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Let's ask Morgan Freeman:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2TgyUEXUAME/T00XS-I_6RI/AAAAAAAAALU/kro4L1s3vd0/s1600/Morgan+Freeman+Racism.jpg

This from a guy who doesn't believe in God. The day I believe anything someone from HollyWeird says is the day pigs fly.

-King-
07-30-2012, 01:06 PM
This from a guy who doesn't believe in God. The day I believe anything someone from HollyWeird says is the day pigs fly.

What does him believing in God have to do with what he said?

McWickedson
07-30-2012, 01:08 PM

Yes, because minorities are still being disenfranchised in so-called post racial America. Racism isn't openly accepted as it once was, but it lives on in so many ways.

-King-
07-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Before I started my company I worked at another consulting firm. One of the guys there did housing studies, and he won a project in Louisiana to assess the feasibility of an affordable housing complex. He went down there to talk to people about it, and one of the questions they would ask was "Is this going to be a white complex or a black complex?"

I realize that things are a bit different in some parts of the country than in the places I grew up.

I always kind of scratch my head about why black people stay in places like Mississippi and Louisiana. I sure wouldn't if these attitudes exist. Do they have a black brain drain where the most motivated people move elsewhere? I realize that I may be at one end of the norm when it comes to willingness to move, but geez, it seems like most people would naturally want to go where they have the most opportunity.

Mississippi is the poorest state in the nation and Louisiana is the 9th poorest. People there don't have enough money to be able to move to another state easily.

McWickedson
07-30-2012, 01:13 PM
The only thing worse than the people that cry racism at every turn are those that act like it doesn't exist.

This.

Saulbadguy
07-30-2012, 01:19 PM
In retrospect are you glad the registrar directed your son to the other school, not glad, or indifferent?

whitey gonna white

Rain Man
07-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Mississippi is the poorest state in the nation and Louisiana is the 9th poorest. People there don't have enough money to be able to move to another state easily.

Maybe they can drive to the next town closer to the border and keep doing that every year.

If I was living in a place where I was discriminated against, and I knew there were other places that were better, I like to think that I'd figure out some way to get to the better place. So is it poverty? Or is it an assumption that other places aren't better? Or is it more down to earth stuff like family ties and inertia?

Fansy the Famous Bard
07-30-2012, 01:25 PM

I was glad to move away from Mobile, Alabama altogether the first chance I got.

McWickedson
07-30-2012, 01:29 PM

- Whiteness doesn't exist. You either excel at something or you don't. You're stupid by just saying that.You

Hypocrite much ?

Donger
07-30-2012, 01:29 PM

I don't disagree with that at all. But, historical racism shouldn't play any significant part in today's world. If a young Black man or woman is brilliant and has the drive, he or she will be educated and succeed. Just as a White person will. Or an Asian (if string instruments are involved).

I remember hearing that when a young Black person shows a desire to succeed and takes their education seriously, they are actually "shunned" by their fellow Blacks if that child grows up in challenged environment. That sucks, if true.

Frazod
07-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Seems like all the pieces are in place to ship this turd over to DC now. :thumb:

Donger
07-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Hypocrite much ?

Aren't you the one who openly expresses the desire for the segregation of the races?

-King-
07-30-2012, 01:33 PM
I don't disagree with that at all. But, historical racism shouldn't play any significant part in today's world. If a young Black man or woman is brilliant and has the drive, he or she will be educated and succeed. Just as a White person will. Or an Asian (if string instruments are involved).

Yeah, but we live in the real world...

McWickedson
07-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Aren't you the one who openly expresses the desire for the segregation of the races?

yes, and I won't shy away from it. It's just funny to see a non minority complain about race.

Donger
07-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Yeah, but we live in the real world...

And what "real world" obstacles do you see in preventing the kid above from succeeding?

Donger
07-30-2012, 01:41 PM
yes, and I won't shy away from it. It's just funny to see a non minority complain about race.

Always nice to see someone embrace open and flagrant racism and give it a bear hug.

-King-
07-30-2012, 01:44 PM
And what "real world" obstacles do you see in preventing the kid above from succeeding?

At a per-capita income of $18,054 in 2008, African-American earnings were just 57.9% that of whites' $28,502. That was a slight improvement over 2007 when black income was just 56.4%, but down from 2005, when it was 59.3%.

You can play ignorant all you want, but you're just being stupid if you think the average black kid is afforded the same opportunities as the average white kid.

Donger
07-30-2012, 01:48 PM
You can play ignorant all you want, but you're just being stupid if you think the average black kid is afforded the same opportunities as the average white kid.

I think you need to read what I wrote again.

Setsuna
07-30-2012, 01:49 PM
No they're not. Do you really think white owned newspapers/other media outlets were jumping at the chance to hire black people in the 60s? **** no. So black people had to create the NABJ so have a chance to get into the field.

These groups weren't created to exclude. They were created out of necessity.

In the past you damn idiot. What is the purpose now? Absolutely fucking nothing. So you can please shut your mouth because you no longer have a point.

-King-
07-30-2012, 01:50 PM
In the past you damn idiot. What is the purpose now? Absolutely fucking nothing. So you can please shut your mouth because you no longer have a point.

So there's no racism anymore?

You learn something new everyday.

Setsuna
07-30-2012, 02:00 PM
So there's no racism anymore?

You learn something new everyday.

Where did you get that from my post? I'm talking about these useless organizations. There is racism, but to sit there and use that as a damn excuse to take 20 steps back is beyond illogical.

frankotank
07-30-2012, 02:09 PM

correct me if I'm wrong....because I may be....but I've never thought Jesus could possibly have been white.

wouldn't the people living in that area of the world back then (Israel, Jordan...etc), and I am assuming now...to a lesser degree...wouldn't they have been brown skinned people?
a racist would consider a hispanic person to be less that a white person.
a racist would consider a person of arabic decent to be less that a white person.
why wouldn't this apply to people from this area? why wouldn't it apply to Jesus?

this would make Christian racists even bigger idiots than one would have originally thought.

am I way off base? (maybe this belongs in the random thoughts thread...)

Setsuna
07-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Hypocrite much ?

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL I'm black dude. Nice try though.

listopencil
07-30-2012, 02:25 PM
ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL I'm black dude. Nice try though.

Hey. I'm "white." In case anyone is doing a census or something.

Just Passin' By
07-30-2012, 02:26 PM
Seems like all the pieces are in place to ship this turd over to DC now. :thumb:

Give it a bit longer. This thread has not yet begun to plumb the reachable depths of stupidity.

Setsuna
07-30-2012, 02:26 PM

Are you fully white though....I need to know your full racial composition.

frankotank
07-30-2012, 02:32 PM
I was born a poor black child.

- Steve Martin -

listopencil
07-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Are you fully white though....I need to know your full racial composition.

No, my great grandmother was Melungeon. Does this mean I can't get into the Whitey McWhiteperson's All-White Club For Whiteys (Now With Improved Whiteness)?

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 02:41 PM

the fact that his parents or parent cannot afford to drive that kid to the nicer private school across town. That school that has better teachers, better facilities, better resources. Maybe that school has newer textbooks, which include information that ignites a thought in that student otherwise left dormant. Perhaps that student never has a line of thinking that will shape his or her future plans or ambitions. Instead of going to Brown or Johns Hopkins, they end up at Michigan State. Fine school, sure, but they would have excelled in small classes.

My point is that this isn't just about the students excelling. This is about our society as a whole meeting its potential, and we can't do that when our great minds don't have the best chance at success.

Donger
07-30-2012, 02:41 PM
I'm pretty White, but somewhere along the line, some Irish blood sneaked in.

Donger
07-30-2012, 02:43 PM
the fact that his parents or parent cannot afford to drive that kid to the nicer private school across town. That school that has better teachers, better facilities, better resources. Maybe that school has newer textbooks, which include information that ignites a thought in that student otherwise left dormant. Perhaps that student never has a line of thinking that will shape his or her future plans or ambitions. Instead of going to Brown or Johns Hopkins, they end up at Michigan State. Fine school, sure, but they would have excelled in small classes.

My point is that this isn't just about the students excelling. This is about our society as a whole meeting its potential, and we can't do that when our great minds don't have the best chance at success.

None of that precludes the child from success. If the desire is there, the cream always rises to the top. Or, are you suggesting that no poor Black child has ever succeeded?

listopencil
I'm pretty White, but somewhere along the line, some Irish blood sneaked in.

Damned Englishmen. Constantly pillaging, looting and raping.

saphojunkie
You think the requirement that the recipients all be nice looking is a valid argument? Maybe we aren't so different after all.

LOL no. Well, I believe that all FEMALE applicants be nice looking. And naked. that's fair. Totally fair.

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 02:45 PM
None of that precludes the child from success. If the desire is there, the cream always rises to the top. Or, are you suggesting that no poor Black child has ever succeeded?

I'm suggesting that it is vastly more difficult for the average black child to succeed than the average white child.

Actually, I'm not suggesting that. The data is.

Donger
07-30-2012, 02:46 PM
I'm suggesting that it is vastly more difficult for the average black child to succeed than the average white child.

I wasn't talking about average kids.

Rain Man
07-30-2012, 02:47 PM

So then we shouldn't be spending money on nice schools and highly qualified teachers and new textbooks, because even without them the cream will rise to the top?

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Where did you get that from my post? I'm talking about these useless organizations. There is racism, but to sit there and use that as a damn excuse to take 20 steps back is beyond illogical.

Can we please clear up what groups you think are worthless?

Like, the NAACP? Is that worthless?

Is Morehouse College? Xavier?

HemiEd
07-30-2012, 02:48 PM

Yeah, but do you have any friends that are black?

Donger
So then we shouldn't be spending money on nice schools and highly qualified teachers and new textbooks, because even without them the cream will rise to the top?

I didn't say that, nor do I agree with it.

saphojunkie
I wasn't talking about average kids.

The problem is that the average black kid is poor compared to the average white kid, so comparing "poor black kids" to "poor white kids" is misleading. Or, rather, it misses the overall picture.

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 02:49 PM
I didn't say that, nor do I agree with it.

So you acknowledge that there are material advantages that are inherently vital to students realizing their potential?

Donger
07-30-2012, 02:52 PM
The problem is that the average black kid is poor compared to the average white kid, so comparing "poor black kids" to "poor white kids" is misleading. Or, rather, it misses the overall picture.

And like I said, I wasn't referring to average kids.

HemiEd
07-30-2012, 02:53 PM

I don't understand why it is not already there.

Here let me do my part.

Obama is racist.

Donger
07-30-2012, 02:53 PM
So you acknowledge that there are material advantages that are inherently vital to students realizing their potential?

No, I wouldn't agree that such advantages are inherently vital.

Setsuna
07-30-2012, 02:55 PM

How do you define average? If by average you mean middle class income and housing then it wasn't at all difficult for me. You're just making excuses which is AGAIN a detriment. How you don't see that is insane.

Setsuna
07-30-2012, 02:56 PM

If it's blacks only then yes.

chop
07-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Instead of going to Brown or Johns Hopkins, they end up at Michigan State.

Or worse yet, UCLA.

listopencil
07-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Yeah, but do you have any friends that are black?

Does FaceBook count?

Frazod
07-30-2012, 03:01 PM
I don't understand why it is not already there.

Here let me do my part.

Obama is racist.

HONKEY BASTARD!!!!!!!

Rain Man
07-30-2012, 03:01 PM
No, I wouldn't agree that such advantages are inherently vital.

But do they help? Can access to a nice library and a computer lab give a kid an advantage over a rival kid who doesn't have that impact?

I think anyone can succeed in America. I also think that not everyone stands at the same starting line when the gun goes off. If you're born to bright, loving parents in a mansion and your au pair has a master's degree in education, you're going to have an inherent advantage over a low-income kid who has one parent working double shifts, and you're going to have an inherent advantage over a kid who was born with crack in his system. Can those kids succeed in the long run? Certainly. But they're either going to have to overcome a lot more obstacles, or they're going to define success at a lower level than the rich kid. Maybe success for a crack baby is achieving the middle class and owning a home and having a job, whereas a rich kid will define success as having a mansion as big as his parents'.

Donger
07-30-2012, 03:03 PM
But do they help? Can access to a nice library and a computer lab give a kid an advantage over a rival kid who doesn't have that impact?

I think anyone can succeed in America. I also think that not everyone stands at the same starting line when the gun goes off. If you're born to bright, loving parents in a mansion and your au pair has a master's degree in education, you're going to have an inherent advantage over a low-income kid who has one parent working double shifts, and you're going to have an inherent advantage over a kid who was born with crack in his system. Can those kids succeed in the long run? Certainly. But they're either going to have to overcome a lot more obstacles, or they're going to define success at a lower level than the rich kid. Maybe success for a crack baby is achieving the middle class and owning a home and having a job, whereas a rich kid will define success as having a mansion as big as his parents'.

Sure, they help. Just like being really bright and having the desire to succeed helps.

Donger
07-30-2012, 03:04 PM
HONKEY BASTARD!!!!!!!

LMAO

Reported, BTW.

Frazod
07-30-2012, 03:05 PM
LMAO

Reported, BTW.

The Man's keeping me down! :D

Setsuna
Or worse yet, UCLA.

Nice sarcasm. I think the success depends on the drive. If you have the drive to do well with minimal mistakes then you will succeed.

saphojunkie
And like I said, I wasn't referring to average kids.

You are missing the point.

the average black kid IS a poor kid. So, by referring to "poor black kids" you are referring to "average black kids."

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Nice sarcasm. I think the success depends on the drive. If you have the drive to do well with minimal mistakes then you will succeed.

that's not guaranteed. At all.

Donger
07-30-2012, 03:08 PM

the average black kid IS a poor kid. So, by referring to "poor black kids" you are referring to "average black kids."

You mean relative to some other race?

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 03:12 PM
How do you define average? If by average you mean middle class income and housing then it wasn't at all difficult for me. You're just making excuses which is AGAIN a detriment. How you don't see that is insane.

The gap between the average white household net worth and the net worth of the average black household is over $95 thousand dollars.

How "average" do you think the "average" black household actually is?

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 03:13 PM

Yes. the average black kid in America is a king compared to the average black kid in Sierre Leon.

tooge
07-30-2012, 03:15 PM

they don't like the cold

Donger
Yes. the average black kid in America is a king compared to the average black kid in Sierre Leon.

Okay. Do you think the average Black kid is just as intelligent as the average White kid?

Setsuna

Dude that's a ridiculously ignorant statement. If they are poor, they aren't average. You can't have it both ways loser. There is a smaller pool of average black kids but you still have to use them in your comparisons. Or else your validity is shot.

Okay. Do you think the average Black kid is just as intelligent as the average White kid?
He'll spin it somehow to fit his agenda. Don't bother.

listopencil
07-30-2012, 03:16 PM

Jesus, you just had to go drag race into this didn't you?

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 03:18 PM

Yes, though not as educated.

Donger
07-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Jesus, you just had to go drag race into this didn't you?

It's okay. You can call me Donger.

saphojunkie
Dude that's a ridiculously ignorant statement. If they are poor, they aren't average. You can't have it both ways loser. There is a smaller pool of average black kids but you still have to use them in your comparisons. Or else your validity is shot.

You really don't understand this, do you? My god.

Donger

Okay. And whose fault is that?

Setsuna
07-30-2012, 03:20 PM

You are the dumbest piece of garbage I have ever seen. Not as educated? WTF does that even mean? You think they aren't being taught the same basics in school?

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Okay. And whose fault is that?

Seriously?

Donger
07-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Seriously?

Yes.

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 03:21 PM
You are the dumbest piece of garbage I have ever seen. Not as educated? WTF does that even mean? You think they aren't being taught the same basics in school?

Do you have absolutely no understanding of the American socioeconomic landscape?

listopencil
07-30-2012, 03:22 PM
It's okay. You can call me Donger.

...or by a comma if the feeling's not as strong.

Rain Man
07-30-2012, 03:23 PM

I think the average black kid is as intelligent as the average white kid, and has fewer resources (on average).

One concern I have about comparing races on things like education is this difference in resources. Having said that, the difference in academic performance (based on standardized tests) appears to be larger than the difference in resources. That disparity is of more interest to me than any differences in resources or any differences by race.

I do think there's a cultural bias in education that leads blacks to have lower performance on average. But the question is, is the bias in the system or in the population or both?

Setsuna
07-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Do you have absolutely no understanding of the American socioeconomic landscape?

I refuse to believe the material being covered isn't the same. The conditions are definitely different but the curriculum is pretty much adequate enough.

Rain Man
07-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Check out this article. (It's about income, not race, and its relationship to SAT scores.) I find this stuff fascinating.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/27/sat-scores-and-family-income/

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Yes.

Okay, my quick rundown:

1. British government.
2. Dutch slave traders.
3. Founding fathers.
4. Southern colonies that wouldn't ratify constitution without pro-slavery protection.
5. Confederate states.
6. Union states that wanted to abolish slavery, but did not feel that assisting former slaves was their duty.
7. Every piece of shit coward who wouldn't pick up a pike and go defend his fellow human from tyranny.
8. US lawmakers, law enforcement, public officials, every branch of the federal government and state government that allowed the blanket discrimination of American citizens until the second half of the twentieth century.
9. People who felt that the Civil Rights movement and subsequent legislation fixed the problems.
10. Teachers who want to leave inner cities and teach at better schools instead of working to better the schools that need them.
11. People that think that the education system in this country actually affords equal opportunity by any stretch of the imagination.
12. People that think that the only solution necessary to the wealth gap between whites and blacks is for black people to "move on" or "get over it" or "stop asking for handouts." As if this isn't a unique situation in history where one culture ruthlessly dominated another culture, only to relinquish that control slowly over time in an attempt to assimilate them into society as equals.

This is a complicated issue that can't be solved with "durr all racial organizations are bad" idiocy.

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 03:31 PM
I refuse to believe the material being covered isn't the same. The conditions are definitely different but the curriculum is pretty much adequate enough.

If all that it took to educate children is giving them copies of the same book and saying "go!"

Then yeah, you'd have a point.

Donger
07-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Okay, my quick rundown:

1. British government.
2. Dutch slave traders.
3. Founding fathers.
4. Southern colonies that wouldn't ratify constitution without pro-slavery protection.
5. Confederate states.
6. Union states that wanted to abolish slavery, but did not feel that assisting former slaves was their duty.
7. Every piece of shit coward who wouldn't pick up a pike and go defend his fellow human from tyranny.
8. US lawmakers, law enforcement, public officials, every branch of the federal government and state government that allowed the blanket discrimination of American citizens until the second half of the twentieth century.
9. People who felt that the Civil Rights movement and subsequent legislation fixed the problems.
10. Teachers who want to leave inner cities and teach at better schools instead of working to better the schools that need them.
11. People that think that the education system in this country actually affords equal opportunity by any stretch of the imagination.
12. People that think that the only solution necessary to the wealth gap between whites and blacks is for black people to "move on" or "get over it" or "stop asking for handouts." As if this isn't a unique situation in history where one culture ruthlessly dominated another culture, only to relinquish that control slowly over time in an attempt to assimilate them into society as equals.

This is a complicated issue that can't be solved with "durr all racial organizations are bad" idiocy.

So, basically, everyone and everything other than the Black people themselves?

Setsuna
07-30-2012, 03:32 PM
That's pretty interesting. I could move this to DC right now, and I'm going to. Based on that article taxing the wealthy will lead to an overall decrease in SAT scores. So screw Obama!

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 03:35 PM

No, I do not blame black people for the disparate educational success levels. I do not think that all black people got together and decided to be less successful or prosperous than white people of equal talent and ability, nor do I believe that black people have an inherent flaw in their genetics that causes them to go to school less, drop out more, achieve fewer college degrees, or make as much money.

No, I don't blame black people for being born into a system whose design never considered the ramifications of denying them equal footing for three hundred years.

Donger
I think the average black kid is as intelligent as the average white kid, and has fewer resources (on average).

One concern I have about comparing races on things like education is this difference in resources. Having said that, the difference in academic performance (based on standardized tests) appears to be larger than the difference in resources. That disparity is of more interest to me than any differences in resources or any differences by race.

I do think there's a cultural bias in education that leads blacks to have lower performance on average. But the question is, is the bias in the system or in the population or both?

Undoubtedly both. I don't think it's as black and white to be able to say it's 100% one or the other.

HemiEd
HONKEY BASTARD!!!!!!!

Ok, now you have done it!

He wasn't born over here either!

Donger
07-30-2012, 03:36 PM
No, I do not blame black people for the disparate educational success levels. I do not think that all black people got together and decided to be less successful or prosperous than white people of equal talent and ability, nor do I believe that black people have an inherent flaw in their genetics that causes them to go to school less, drop out more, achieve fewer college degrees, or make as much money.

No, I don't blame black people for being born into a system whose design never considered the ramifications of denying them equal footing for three hundred years.

Wow. No blame at all?

HemiEd
07-30-2012, 03:36 PM
they don't like the cold

Who does?

loochy
07-30-2012, 03:37 PM
correct me if I'm wrong....because I may be....but I've never thought Jesus could possibly have been white.

wouldn't the people living in that area of the world back then (Israel, Jordan...etc), and I am assuming now...to a lesser degree...wouldn't they have been brown skinned people?
a racist would consider a person of arabic decent to be less that a white person.
why wouldn't this apply to people from this area? why wouldn't it apply to Jesus?

this would make Christian racists even bigger idiots than one would have originally thought.

Dude that always bugged me too! Jesus probably had black hair, dark skin, and a giant nose!

loochy
07-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Undoubtedly both. I don't think it's as black and white to be able to say it's 100% one or the other.

nice one

Rain Man
07-30-2012, 03:38 PM

That's how I would lean as well. So the next question is, how do we identify what causes those biases, and fix them?

Setsuna
07-30-2012, 03:39 PM

Exactly. This is my problem. Stop projecting blame on everything but where it should be. You could have made these excuses in the past but now there are so many resources available it's laughable. I'm sick of it dude. And it's people like sapho that enable most black people to willingly do nothing and blame everything else but themselves.

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Check out this article. (It's about income, not race, and its relationship to SAT scores.) I find this stuff fascinating.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/27/sat-scores-and-family-income/

My wife tutors students for the SATs and for AP tests/classes. (Incidentally, her topic is history).

Let's do this:

Two students take a practice SAT test. They are of equal intelligence, and each get 1300. One student is wealthy, one is not.

The wealthy students' parents pay my wife $60 an hour to tutor them for 8 months, two hours a week.

The students re-take the SAT, and the tutored student now scores a 1460, while the other student's score does not increase.

Which student gets accepted into a university when only one spot is open?

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 03:40 PM
Exactly. This is my problem. Stop projecting blame on everything but where it should be. You could have made these excuses in the past but now there are so many resources available it's laughable. I'm sick of it dude. And it's people like sapho that enable most black people to willingly do nothing and blame everything else but themselves.

You need to learn more. You're just regurgitating talking points. there is no fact to back up your opinion.

What resources? Available to whom? How? Where? Are they free? How do you access them? How do they help?

loochy
07-30-2012, 03:41 PM
You need to learn more.

Yeah! You don't know what's good for you! Only sapho does.

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Yeah! You don't know what's good for you! Only sapho does.

You're right. "need" was the wrong word.

"You don't know what you're talking about."

Is that better?

"The facts directly reject your notions."

How about that?

"I know more about this than you do, and if you feel like rejecting what I'm saying, you will have to learn and provide more facts than you have previously demonstrated you possess."

Setsuna
07-30-2012, 03:45 PM
You need to learn more. You're just regurgitating talking points. there is no fact to back up your opinion.

What resources? Available to whom? How? Where? Are they free? How do you access them? How do they help?

Opinion? This is fact. I've observed this ridiculousness for years and it's sad.

McWickedson
07-30-2012, 03:45 PM

He's a stepin fetchit, so every minority group is worthless to him.

Two-Twenty
07-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Sapho where are you at in la?

Donger
07-30-2012, 03:48 PM
That's how I would lean as well. So the next question is, how do we identify what causes those biases, and fix them?

I asked something about this earlier, but none of the lazy Black people here chose to answer, so I will again:

Is there a certain stigma that exists about the "average Black kid" who wants to succeed within the "average" Black community? That doing so somehow makes that kid in league with "the man"?

Setsuna
07-30-2012, 03:49 PM
He's a stepin fetchit, so every minority group is worthless to him.

stepin fetchit? Please explain.

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Opinion? This is fact. I've observed this ridiculousness for years and it's sad.

go back to school for more years until you learn what "fact" means. Jeez. It's not hard to back up arguments.

For instance, here is a "fact:"

The average unemployment rate for a black male college graduate is 8.4%, compared to the rate of 4.4% of white male college graduates.

Clearly, those extra 4% of college graduates just "aren't trying" or "are making excuses."

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 03:54 PM
here's another fact:

the drop out rate for black students is 8% vs. 5.1% for white students. In fact, the black rate has never been lower than the white rate. So, what gives? Every single generation of black people is lazier and less able to stay in school than its white contemporary?

http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/

HemiEd
07-30-2012, 03:55 PM
That's pretty interesting. I could move this to DC right now, and I'm going to. Based on that article taxing the wealthy will lead to an overall decrease in SAT scores. So screw Obama!

How are you going to move it?

Rain Man
07-30-2012, 03:55 PM
I asked something about this earlier, but none of the lazy Black people here chose to answer, so I will again:

Is there a certain stigma that exists about the "average Black kid" who wants to succeed within the "average" Black community? That doing so somehow makes that kid in league with "the man"?

I've heard rumors of such a culture, but am not privy to them.

If they exist, I wonder if they're more prominent in areas where minorities are the majority, or in lower income areas. It doesn't seem like such a culture would have enough mass in areas where the minorities are very small in number. I have no reasoning for hypothesizing that they're more common in low-income areas other than seeing that Cosby and the Fresh Prince appeared to value education, while the gang members on CSI do not.

At some point during my research career, I was told that Mexican culture (or maybe Hispanic culture) was not big on education in part because it was considered an affront to one's parents to get more than they did. I'm sure that's a simplistic explanation and certainly not something that applies to every person and family in that population, but it was told to me by a Hispanic person and kind of stuck with me. Our high school dropout rates for Hispanics are shockingly high, so there's something going on in that population besides just lower incomes.

Setsuna
07-30-2012, 03:57 PM
go back to school for more years until you learn what "fact" means. Jeez. It's not hard to back up arguments.

For instance, here is a "fact:"

The average unemployment rate for a black male college graduate is 8.4%, compared to the rate of 4.4% of white male college graduates.

Clearly, those extra 4% of college graduates just "aren't trying" or "are making excuses."
Le sigh. :shake:

I'll be a lot more successful than you were. Your attempt sucked dick.

saphojunkie
07-30-2012, 03:57 PM
So, what have we learned? Well, that less black students are finishing high school, going to college, or finishing college.

And once they DO finish college, they get hired less than white graduates.

And once they DO get hired, they make less.

http://www.econ.ucsb.edu/~weinberg/grads.pdf

Rain Man
07-30-2012, 03:58 PM

You think he can't move it just because he's black? Black people can move threads just as well as white people.

Or are you referring to the fact that he's not a mod?

Two-Twenty

IIRC you didn't ask a question you simply stated something youve heard you condescending fuck

My thoughts on that question is that there is a stigma placed on every geek, nerd, poindexter, etc..

Nobody thinks that if you're smart you're trying to be white

saphojunkie

I love it when internet arguers finally acquiesce to the simple truth that they don't know what they're talking about.

Rain Man
07-30-2012, 03:59 PM
IIRC you didn't ask a question you simply stated something youve heard you condescending ****

My thoughts on that question is that there is a stigma placed on every geek, nerd, poindexter, etc..

Nobody thinks that if you're smart you're trying to be white

Is that stigma worse if you're a minority than if you're white, or is it less bad, or is it the same regardless of race?

Setsuna
07-30-2012, 04:00 PM

I came across that at points within my educational career growing up.

McWickedson

Again, why bother ?

His only purpose in this thread is to vilify you so he can get in the white posters good graces.

It's the Willie lynch syndrome.

HemiEd

I'll be a lot more successful than you were. Your attempt sucked dick.

Really? Show me.

HemiEd
07-30-2012, 04:01 PM
You think he can't move it just because he's black? Black people can move threads just as well as white people.

Or are you referring to the fact that he's not a mod?

Well both really, his name is in black writing and not red.

Setsuna
07-30-2012, 04:02 PM
I love it when internet arguers finally acquiesce to the simple truth that they don't know what they're talking about.

You can give me stats till the cows come home but they don't compare to personal observation. If these issues are preventing them from succeeding then why haven't the movements to improve or remedy these issues made an impact? You know why? Because the issues aren't the issues.

ThaVirus
07-30-2012, 04:03 PM

See this:

Can access to a nice library and a computer lab give a kid an advantage over a rival kid who doesn't have that impact?

Two-Twenty
07-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Is that stigma worse if you're a minority than if you're white, or is it less bad, or is it the same regardless of race?

I think it's the same

I went to majority white schools and majority black schools in the north, south, Midwest and west coast and EVERYBODY gets picked on if the others feel you're too smart, geeky

ThaVirus
07-30-2012, 04:08 PM

Yes, he likely would have had some color. I don't know exactly how it's said in the Bible but he had "skin of bronze and hair of wool". The typical idols you see of Jesus and the Virgin Mary with pale skin and straight, soft, dirty blonde hair are a lie. This shouldn't come as a surprise; it made it easier for most to deal with. It's not unlike Christians to pick and choose things from the Bible to adhere to.