PDA

View Full Version : Weather Heated Driveway for the winter - positive, negative experiences?

Dante84
07-30-2012, 05:31 PM
So, my mom is turning 60 next week, and my dad is 63. They are doing a bunch of home improvement stuff to up the value of the house, and because they are done spending money on all the kids, so they are buying things they've wanted for a while.

They are getting a sprinkler system put in next week, so my old man doesn't have to haul the hoses around the yard in the summer heat anymore.

The driveway has been crumbling a bit over the last few years, and they are starting to get quotes for getting it replaced. I really want them to invest in a heated driveway, so they don't have to worry about slipping and falling on the ice come winter time. KC winters can be a bitch. It's just a standard sized JoCo driveway, but it has a pretty steep angle, and it would be easy to slip on. I've done it multiple times while shoveling growing up.

I'm curious as to your experiences if you have any, and an idea on price range.

notorious
07-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Wow, they have heated driveways now?

Bowser
07-30-2012, 05:35 PM
My driveway is hot as fuck these days, and it sucks to walk on it barefoot.

Negative experience.

mlyonsd
07-30-2012, 05:37 PM
About all I can tell you is the company I work for has heated sidewalks all the way around the building. They are usually tearing up one section or another once a year to fix one that goes bad.

I'd do a lot of research into the reliability.

TLO
07-30-2012, 05:41 PM
I always thought this would be a sweet idea for big interstate highways and what not. My friend and I had a big long discussion about it one day. My thoughts were that it would attract unwanted animals trying to stay warm... but that was for the interstate idea.

I had no idea this product actually existed.

Edit: Dante and Laz are cool :)

qabbaan
07-30-2012, 05:43 PM
KC winters can be a bitch.

I guess it's all relative ROFL

It obviously depends on what you want but around here $10,000 would be a decent guess for a normal two car size driveway. They are uncommon even in colder climates because it's not worth the cost. You could buy the Cadillac of snowblowers and pay a team of bikini models to clear the driveway every time it snows in KC and you'd still come out ahead.

Mr. Laz
07-30-2012, 05:45 PM
About all I can tell you is the company I work for has heated sidewalks all the way around the building. They are usually tearing up one section or another once a year to fix one that goes bad.

I'd do a lot of research into the reliability.

this would be my concern as well

would it be an endless money sink because something is always breaking

warranty?

Jenson71
07-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Have you considered a giant hairdryer?

Dante84
07-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Well it looks like there are a lot of options, but the main two I keep seeing are electric or tubing.

Basically the water/antifreeze mix is heated and run through the tubing. Assuming the tubing is high quality, I dont see a lot of room for breakage, unless the ground shifts over time. It would have to be a dramatic shift for it to break the tubing, I would think.

Electric wiring just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Deberg_1990
07-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Yea, your parents would be better off moving south to a warmer climate rather than deal with the maintenance of a heated driveway.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dante84
07-30-2012, 06:09 PM
I guess it's all relative ROFL

It obviously depends on what you want but around here $10,000 would be a decent guess for a normal two car size driveway. They are uncommon even in colder climates because it's not worth the cost. You could buy the Cadillac of snowblowers and pay a team of bikini models to clear the driveway every time it snows in KC and you'd still come out ahead.

They've got a good snowblower, but I'd like to avoid the old man doing a lot of physical labor if he doesn't have to. Since the driveway is really steep, too, there's a high possibility of slipping.

The ice is more a concern than the snow. Obviously if the snow sits all day and becomes ice, then thats an issue as well.

Frazod
07-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Considering the amount of expansion/contraction you get due to vast Midwest seasonal temperature differences, boy, I'd be really leery of something like this. Sounds neat in theory, though.

Also, you're talking Kansas, not Minnesota. Seriously, how many days per year would this even be needed?

Dante84
07-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Yea, your parents would be better off moving south to a warmer climate rather than deal with the maintenance of a heated driveway.
Posted via Mobile Device

Meh, their grandkids, work, and life are in KC, so they arent going anywhere.

I assume you mean financial maintenance. Is it just that these things are shoddy as hell? I would think if you put in a decent one you would set it and forget it.

But thats why i started the thread, to become edjuhmacated.

Dante84
07-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Considering the amount of expansion/contraction you get due to vast Midwest seasonal temperature differences, boy, I'd be really leery of something like this. Sounds neat in theory, though.

Also, you're talking Kansas, not Minnesota. Seriously, how many days per year would this even be needed?

Hey, I'm just worried about the single time one of them slips in the next 10-15 years.

If you fall and break a hip at 63, you can age pretty fucking quick if you aren't moving around as much.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-30-2012, 06:30 PM
I know one person who has them. IIRC he told me his driveway ran around 15k, it is a little longer than what I would consider an average driveway.

Jenson71
07-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Hey, I'm just worried about the single time one of them slips in the next 10-15 years.

If you fall and break a hip at 63, you can age pretty ****ing quick if you aren't moving around as much.

You could place shower mats on the driveway. When the snowfalls are fresh, just shake off the shower mats into the street.

mlyonsd
07-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Well it looks like there are a lot of options, but the main two I keep seeing are electric or tubing.

Basically the water/antifreeze mix is heated and run through the tubing. Assuming the tubing is high quality, I dont see a lot of room for breakage, unless the ground shifts over time. It would have to be a dramatic shift for it to break the tubing, I would think.

Electric wiring just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.FTR the company sidewalk is electric.

SAUTO
07-30-2012, 06:47 PM
My buddy had a body shop and the floors and drive are heated by water flowing through it. The water goes to his wood furnace, it's a fucking badass thing
Posted via Mobile Device

Silock
07-30-2012, 07:59 PM
I think it would be cheaper to hire someone to snow blow and treat it for them.

Dante84
07-30-2012, 08:05 PM
I think it would be cheaper to hire someone to snow blow and treat it for them.

Yeah, a water repellant is another option, probably cheaper as well. But if the ice freezes on top of it, might make it even more dangerous.

I'm just wanting to explore all the angles prior to giving my pitch to the parents. If it is somewhat affordable, I'd love for them to spring for the heated drive. Not my house or money, though.