PDA

View Full Version : Football Texans are having a rough offseason

Quesadilla Joe
08-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Texans OT Duane Brown had the outside of his leg rolled up on, now undergoing tests. "We'll hold our breath," said Texans HC Gary Kubiak.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/230707869518004225

They might have lost both starting tackles, Domeco Ryans, and Mario Williams all in one offseason.
EDIT:
"We are lucky...He'll probably miss a couple days...He's an important piece to the puzzle." - Kubiak on @DuaneBrown76

https://mobile.twitter.com/HoustonTexans/status/230776036508463106

beach tribe
08-01-2012, 11:01 AM
F em'

We don't wanna hear shit.

DaneMcCloud
08-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Texans OT Duane Brown had the outside of his leg rolled up on, now undergoing tests. "We'll hold our breath," said Texans HC Gary Kubiak.

They might have lost both starting tackles, Domeco Ryans, and Mario Williams all in one offseason.

They CHOSE to trade Ryans for a 5th rounder and allowed Williams to walk because they have so much depth AND he wasn't as effective in Wade's 3-4 defense. Also, Winston failed a physical (that he would have passed two weeks later), so they released him.

While I agree that Duane Brown would be a big loss for them, the decision to cut those players doesn't factor in with your supposition.

mcaj22
08-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Ryans and Williams were able to walk because they switched to a 34 and those guys were replaceable. That's what happens when you have good drafts and not Scott Pioli drafting midgets every year

Quesadilla Joe
08-01-2012, 11:09 AM
They CHOSE to trade Ryans for a 5th rounder and allowed Williams to walk because they have so much depth AND he wasn't as effective in Wade's 3-4 defense. Also, Winston failed a physical (that he would have passed two weeks later), so they released him.

While I agree that Duane Brown would be a big loss for them, the decision to cut those players doesn't factor in with your supposition.

It is my understanding that they chose to get rid of players because they had cap problems.

DaneMcCloud
08-01-2012, 11:11 AM
It is my understanding that they chose to get rid of players because they had cap problems.

And that would be incorrect.

There was no reason to trade Ryans, other than the fact that he was under-utilized and not a good fit for the 3-4. Same with Mario Williams: Why give a guy $50 million dollars to play out of position?

Winston could have been re-signed but they chose to part ways with him. Teams DO move on.

mcaj22
08-01-2012, 11:14 AM
yea but they have Barwin and Brooks Reed at OLBer, they drafted Mercilus as another OLB/pass rusher

and they have ****ing JJ Watt and buddies on the DL. So the drop off from paying 1000000 million to Mario Williams or the potential of the young talent they have at the position, well he can go rot on a crappy team like Buffalo. That just made too much sense to let him walk.

Demeco Ryans has a pretty chunky contract I believe, they gave it to them when they were still in a 43. and he is also having lingering injury issues (bad back I believe?). It was a perfect time to get off that boat.

Quesadilla Joe
08-01-2012, 11:17 AM
And that would be incorrect.

There was no reason to trade Ryans, other than the fact that he was under-utilized and not a good fit for the 3-4. Same with Mario Williams: Why give a guy $50 million dollars to play out of position?

Winston could have been re-signed but they chose to part ways with him. Teams DO move on.

I remember reading an article back when Winston was released that mentioned Kubiak saying he had too much respect for Winston to ask him to take a pay-cut so they just released him so they could get a new deal for Chris Myers.

mcaj22
08-01-2012, 11:20 AM
They just felt RT was replaceable for them. Just like the Chiefs think CB2 is replaceable for Carr. No difference

DaneMcCloud
08-01-2012, 11:33 AM
I remember reading an article back when Winston was released that mentioned Kubiak saying he had too much respect for Winston to ask him to take a pay-cut so they just released him so they could get a new deal for Chris Myers.

LMAO

Coach-speak at its finest.

Mr. Arrowhead
08-01-2012, 11:38 AM
The Nick Wright Curse lives on

TEX
08-01-2012, 11:39 AM
They just felt RT was replaceable for them. Just like the Chiefs think CB2 is replaceable for Carr. No difference

This. They had TWO guys on the roster who could compete for the job. One of which is now filling in at LT for Brown. ALso all early reports are that Brown will be fine. The bigger issue for the Texans is Andre Johnson's hammy (Again...). Although they are trying to downplay it.

sedated
08-01-2012, 11:43 AM
I, too, was under the impression Winston was available because of cap issues. Never heard anything else, especially about failing a physical.

While the Ryans and Williams deals had to do with the switch to the 3-4, it was also cap-related. Their defense was tops in the league last year under that same 3-4 scheme. Williams was a free agent who was set for a payday, and Ryans had a monster cap number. I’d say it was a combination of replaceable and expensive.

TEX
08-01-2012, 11:43 AM

Well kinda true - regarding Mario. When he played - he was effective. Problem was he missed basically the entire season and the TEXANS didn't miss him. They didn't need him in Wade's system so, why break the bank to keep him?

TEX
08-01-2012, 11:45 AM
I, too, was under the impression Winston was available because of cap issues. Never heard anything else, especially about failing a physical.

While the Ryans and Williams deals had to do with the switch to the 3-4, it was also cap-related. Their defense was tops in the league last year under that same 3-4 scheme. Williams was a free agent who was set for a payday, and Ryans had a monster cap number. I’d say it was a combination of replaceable and expensive.

He did fail the physical - but he would have passed it had it been done a bit later. They did need the cap room. They had what they felt as suitable backups on the roster so he became expendable.

sedated
08-01-2012, 11:45 AM

Despite my opinion that they are in a bit of cap trouble, this is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. What coach puts “respect for a player” above having a better team?

GordonGekko
08-01-2012, 12:02 PM

Get Back In Your Thread!!

Marcellus
08-01-2012, 12:16 PM
I blame Haley.

durtyrute
08-01-2012, 12:35 PM
http://blogs.westword.com/showandtell/07%20not%20a%20single%20fuck.jpg