PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Mitch Holthus - mouthpiece?

saphojunkie
08-01-2012, 07:03 PM
I was listening to Mitch Holthus on Between the Lines. (I know I know, but I'm a chiefs junkie).

He spent the better part of the interview talking about how good Baldwin is playing, how dedicated he is, how he and Cassel have a strong connection now on the field and are always working together.

He touched on whether Bowe would do the same thing, and it immediately gave me the feeling that Holthus is out with the company line, prepping the fan base for life after Bowe. Like, he was sent out to prop up Baldwin so that the public will perceive the Chiefs as keeping the better of the two receivers.

it FELT like he was saying: "Baldwin is better! You won't even miss Bowe!" (HE DID NOT ACTUALLY SAY THIS)

Am I crazy? Does anyone else feel like a Kevin Keitzman/Mitch Holthus interview is basically a dressed-up Chiefs press release?

Don't get me wrong, I'm pumped at all the reports that Baldwin is improving, but do you also feel like Holthus' job is to warm up the public to certain harsh truths? Because now I feel more than ever that Bowe won't be a Chief in 2013.

*edited to eliminate confusion*

The Bad Guy
08-01-2012, 07:05 PM
That's absurd rationale by Mitch.

Why this franchise always wants to pick either/or instead of keeping both is a joke. Look at Flowers/Carr.

OnTheWarpath15
08-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Where have you been for the last, oh, 15+ years?

Of course he's a mouthpiece for the team. Always ice cream, rainbows and puppies.

Hammock Parties
08-01-2012, 07:06 PM
He's just doing his job. So, yeah.

Messier
08-01-2012, 07:08 PM
I think they'd have kept Carr for slightly less than Flowers.

But, yes Holthus is a mouthpiece, he works for the Chiefs.

wazu
08-01-2012, 07:10 PM
If he starts calling Baldwin "The Centaur", you might as well throw all your Bowe jerseys in the trash cause it's a done deal.

Ceej
08-01-2012, 07:11 PM

Of course he's a mouthpiece for the team. Always ice cream, rainbows and puppies.

All three of these are quite lovely.

gblowfish
08-01-2012, 07:13 PM
"PUT THE BLABBER DOWN!!!"

Reerun_KC
08-01-2012, 07:16 PM

Agree he is a 180 from cp where its hopeless doom and gloom.
Somewhere between holtus and cp is reality.

OnTheWarpath15
08-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Agree he is a 180 from cp where its hopeless doom and gloom.

What CP are you reading?

We have the greatest roster ever assembled, minus the QB position.

We're stacked.

Hell, we don't need Dwayne Bowe.

We have a 5th round, 3rd string QB that is going to leapfrog into the starting lineup by the bye week and win 8 of 9 down the stretch to get us into the playoffs.

Hammock Parties
08-01-2012, 07:24 PM

http://a1.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/7/f112bbe956052c85736b156ae871acbd/l.jpg

BigMeatballDave
08-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Won't even miss Bowe. LMAO

Drink some more Kool-aide, Mitch.

Reerun_KC
08-01-2012, 07:28 PM
What CP are you reading?

We have the greatest roster ever assembled, minus the QB position.

We're stacked.

Hell, we don't need Dwayne Bowe.

We have a 5th round, 3rd string QB that is going to leapfrog into the starting lineup by the bye week and win 8 of 9 down the stretch to get us into the playoffs.
You my friend are amazing. Much respect.

dirk digler
08-01-2012, 07:30 PM

Yep and it is fucking annoying.

Earlier this year when he was dismissing the idea of Manning coming here I knew right then the Chiefs wouldn't try to get him.

DeezNutz
08-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Yep and it is ****ing annoying.

Earlier this year when he was dismissing the idea of Manning coming here I knew right then the Chiefs wouldn't try to get him.

Why is it annoying?

He's a Chiefs employee who is paid to foster positive PR for the team.

durtyrute
08-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Whether he is or is not "prepping" us, we should get used to the fact that Bowe won't be here next year.

OnTheWarpath15
08-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Why is it annoying?

Surely you've listened to enough radio/TV broadcasts to know that they are allowed to be objective, right?

I have much more respect for play-by-play guys and analysts that are objective, as opposed to complete homers.

saphojunkie
08-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Yep and it is ****ing annoying.

That's kind of how I feel. Between him and Mike Lombardi, I feel like I am in the middle of the Chiefs war room. Mike Lombardi was on the radio before the draft talking about Dontari Poe, and I went ahead and cancelled my David Decastro jersey preorder.

Dayze
08-01-2012, 07:41 PM
I wonder what retarded ass nickname he'll come up with for Baldwin

dirk digler
08-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Why is it annoying?

Is he paid by the Chiefs to be PR or to call games? Lenny doesn't act like that.

DeezNutz
08-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Surely you've listened to enough radio/TV broadcasts to know that they are allowed to be objective, right?

I have much more respect for play-by-play guys and analysts that are objective, as opposed to complete homers.

Usually the situation has to be egregious to get negativity out of a commentator. We're talking Royals-level suck.

Of course a play-by-play guy is going to highlight the positive of Baldwin and attempt to mitigate the negative of missing Bowe. If the taxpayers, err...the Clarks, were signing my checks, I'd be a good solider, too.

Now, if you have the credentials, such as a HOF membership, then you can take a few more swipes at the organization.

DeezNutz
08-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Is he paid by the Chiefs to be PR or to call games? Lenny doesn't act like that.

You think he represents the Chiefs year round out of the goodness of his heart? And Lenny is a KC legend and HOFer. He transcends the organization and thus is beholding to no one.

KcMizzou
08-01-2012, 07:44 PM
I wonder what retarded ass nickname he'll come up with for BaldwinSeriously. I like the way he calls games... but he says some goofy shit. He's a dork.

I think he and Rex Hudler must be related.

Dayze
08-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Yep. I could do without the painfully forced nicknames.

dirk digler
08-01-2012, 07:46 PM
You think he represents the Chiefs year round out of the goodness of his heart? And Lenny is a KC legend and HOFer. He transcends the organization and thus is beholding to no one.

I don't know that he is. He calls college bb games when the Chiefs season is over in December. As OTW said he should be objective not a homer. It is fucking annoying. And I hate his stupid nick names too.

KcMizzou
08-01-2012, 07:46 PM
"The Human Joystick" was one of the worst.

Dayze
08-01-2012, 07:47 PM
The Centuar grated on me

mikeyis4dcats.
08-01-2012, 07:50 PM
He is generally putting the best spin on things, but he is not a stranger to being outspoken, especially off the air. I have attended several events he spoke at and he has been very frank and at times pretty critical of the organization.

dirk digler
08-01-2012, 07:54 PM
I have attended several events he spoke at and he has been very frank and at times pretty critical of the organization.

For example?

mikeyis4dcats.
08-01-2012, 07:59 PM
For example?

it's been some time since I saw him. August 2010 he was the honoree at a charity event in Topeka. He was so doom and gloom during his keynote speech I actually wondered if he had been or was imminently being let go by the team. He was critical of the philospohy and spending habits of the ownership. He was critical of the way some within the organization were and had been treated.

He also spoke at a smal private luncheon for the same organization at the request of my buddy who knows Mitch from his Silver Lake days. Mitch said some things that weren't to be repeated but was outspoken about some members of the team.

Hammock Parties
08-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Wow, Mitch with the foreshadowing.

saphojunkie
08-01-2012, 08:03 PM
it's been some time since I saw him. August 2010 he was the honoree at a charity event in Topeka. He was so doom and gloom during his keynote speech I actually wondered if he had been or was imminently being let go by the team. He was critical of the philospohy and spending habits of the ownership. He was critical of the way some within the organization were and had been treated.

He also spoke at a smal private luncheon for the same organization at the request of my buddy who knows Mitch from his Silver Lake days. Mitch said some things that weren't to be repeated but was outspoken about some members of the team.

I think they should be repeated. Now.

dirk digler
08-01-2012, 08:06 PM

Thanks.

penguinz
08-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Why is it annoying?
The annoying thing about Mitch is the stupid nicknames he gives players.

Deberg_1990
08-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Tooouchdown! Kaaaaaaansaass Ciiiity!!

Dayze
08-01-2012, 08:10 PM
I dub thee "the Arctic Foul"

KcMizzou
08-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Tooouchdown! Kaaaaaaansaass Ciiiity!!That's what he's good at.

Not as good as Harlan was... but good.

Harlan never struck me as gimmicky. "Oh baby, what a play!!!" never seemed awkward or forced.

Hammock Parties
08-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Mitch should go deepthroat on the fraudulent Pioli regime.

Bust the Patriot Way wide open.

Deberg_1990
08-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Mitch should go deepthroat on the fraudulent Pioli regime.

Bust the Patriot Way wide open.

so commit career suicide? Yea, thats smart

Reerun_KC
08-01-2012, 08:14 PM
That's what he's good at.

Harlan never struck me as gimmicky. "Oh baby, what a play!!!" never seemed awkward or forced.

Oh baby what a play is.way over used.

Dayze
08-01-2012, 08:15 PM
We should hire Chris Berman away from ESPN

Deberg_1990
08-01-2012, 08:18 PM
That's what he's good at.

Holtus is actually a very good play by play guy.

I wouldnt look at a team radio play by play guys for fair, objective opinion though.

Hammock Parties
08-01-2012, 08:19 PM
so commit career suicide? Yea, thats smart

No one would know it was him.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Of course he's just saying that. He's getting paid by the Chiefs. I've always hated Mitch. I miss Harlan so much, he was/is my favorite all time. I loved listening to him, Len and Grisgby. "Ohhhhhh baby what a play!" Mitch doesn't have a voice for radio. He tries too hard and he's boring as shit. He's just not fun to listen to with the personality of a robot. His "touchdown Kansas City" is annoying coming from him, but it would be cool if someone else were making the call. I've been hoping since he took over for Harlan in 94 that he'd be replaced. One day...hopefully.

Chief Roundup
08-01-2012, 08:21 PM

this

Chief Roundup
08-01-2012, 08:28 PM
That's kind of how I feel. Between him and Mike Lombardi, I feel like I am in the middle of the Chiefs war room. Mike Lombardi was on the radio before the draft talking about Dontari Poe, and I went ahead and cancelled my David Decastro jersey preorder.

surely you didnt

saphojunkie
08-01-2012, 08:40 PM
surely you didnt

No, just illustrating a point.

and don't call me shirley.

LoneWolf
08-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Let me get this straight. One poster hears an interview where Mitch says Baldwin has been looking good in camp and appears dedicated, and then touches on how Bowe will react when he finally signs his tender. Said poster then gets a "feeling" that Mitch is pumping up Baldwin to help ease the fans into the idea that Bowe will not be around next season.

Every report coming out of camp, has stated that Baldwin has looked impressive and that Cassel has been working hard to try to improve his average game. But if Mitch says the same thing and some random fan on a message board gets a "feeling" then it has to be a fact that Holtus is a puppet for the organization?

CP=conspiracy planet.

Reerun_KC
08-01-2012, 08:51 PM
This is the only place assumptions, speculation and opinions are portrayed as facts.

Hammock Parties
08-01-2012, 08:52 PM
This is the only place assumptions, speculation and opinions are portrayed as facts.

That's why I stick with the facts.

gblowfish
08-01-2012, 08:52 PM
The Centuar grated on me

He had to call LJ "Centaur" because "Mr. Raped in the Penn State Shower" was just too long.

Reerun_KC
08-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Of course you do.

LoneWolf
08-01-2012, 08:54 PM

You should change your username to Joe Friday.

Chief Roundup
08-01-2012, 09:06 PM
He had to call LJ "Centaur" because "Mr. Raped in the Penn State Shower" was just too long.

ouch. Mr. Sandusky's favorite.

DeezNutz
08-01-2012, 09:14 PM

Didn't the one-eyed centaur get in trouble for a homophobic tweet?

MMXcalibur
08-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Before and during the Vermeil era, I used to enjoy listening to Mitch. Then when Herm laid his skidmark in KC, his act wore to the point where I don't even bother. I understand he's 152.45% behind the Chiefs, but c'mon, if the baby's ugly....

notorious
08-01-2012, 09:16 PM
......has stated that Baldwin has looked impressive and that Cassel has been working hard to try to improve his average game. But if Mitch says the same thing and some.......

.............ROFL

BigMeatballDave
08-01-2012, 09:19 PM

People will take speculation as fact if it supports their position.

Chief Roundup
08-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Didn't the one-eyed centaur get in trouble for a homophobic tweet?

:hmmm: Is this the reason he liked to spit on and beat up women.

Reerun_KC
08-01-2012, 09:26 PM
People will take speculation as fact if it supports their position.
Sad but true.

KCUnited
08-01-2012, 09:28 PM
Mitch was on Metro Sports yesterday and wasn't impressed with Stanzi. Now that's saying something.

Demonpenz
08-01-2012, 10:15 PM
I remember Mitch saying that an over the hill Donnie Edwards would "change games" i guess he ment being dragged by crappy running backs into the endzone is game changing?

Strongside
08-01-2012, 10:27 PM
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about Mitch Holthus wearing a mouthpiece.

http://i.imgur.com/k68Zz.jpg

Hammock Parties
08-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Strongside is fucking awesome.

Deberg_1990
08-01-2012, 10:41 PM
great stuff!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xMlDOPBD2RE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Strongside
08-01-2012, 10:56 PM
great stuff!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xMlDOPBD2RE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The first time I saw this I swore he yelled "We're gonna fuck the Broncos in that palace!"

saphojunkie
08-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Let me get this straight. One poster hears an interview where Mitch says Baldwin has been looking good in camp and appears dedicated, and then touches on how Bowe will react when he finally signs his tender. Said poster then gets a "feeling" that Mitch is pumping up Baldwin to help ease the fans into the idea that Bowe will not be around next season.

Every report coming out of camp, has stated that Baldwin has looked impressive and that Cassel has been working hard to try to improve his average game. But if Mitch says the same thing and some random fan on a message board gets a "feeling" then it has to be a fact that Holtus is a puppet for the organization?

CP=conspiracy planet.

No, I specifically said that I had this feeling for awhile, where I get the sense that Mitch Holthus' opinions tend to foreshadow Chiefs policy/personnel moves.

I just wondered if anyone else felt the same way.

TLO
08-02-2012, 06:06 AM
I like Mitch. I could care less if he is a homer.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-02-2012, 11:48 AM
great stuff!

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xMlDOPBD2RE" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

LOL...thanks, hadn't seen that

Rausch
08-02-2012, 01:11 PM
great stuff!

http://www.nationofblue.com/content/attachments/11704d1339509517-well_bye.jpg

Chief_For_Life58
08-02-2012, 01:34 PM
We should hire Chris Berman away from ESPN

backbackbackbackbackbackbackbackbackback gonneeee touchdown kansas city chiefs!

KCinNY
08-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Holthus' radio play-by-play skill is excellent...sets up personnel, formation and pre-snap motion clearly and accurately. During the play he is descriptive and concise and after the whistle gives a quick summary and hands off to Lenny for his dated, crabby grandpa-esque analysis.

However, his uber-homer act is grating. He's employed by the team so I expect a "bottle half full" perspective, but his ceaseless fawning over mediocre players (can't forget his Bartee love or straight-faced claims of Niswanger's impending greatness) undermines his credibility.