PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Anyone have phone/cable VOIP service?

Mr. Laz
08-03-2012, 11:13 AM
How does it work for the entire house?

This Time Warner guy is saying that they only install one phone per house for 19.99 and that each additional phone cost another 19.99 per month.

that can't be correct, can it?

also i thought Home VOIP used existing phone wiring to connect all your current phones to the VOIP.

This guy is saying that each phone has to have it's own coax cable and VOIP box.

Do you really have to run coax through your entire house to connect all your phones to the cable?

phisherman
08-03-2012, 11:19 AM
I have TW and they routed the phone line from my cable modem back to the main box outside my house. i can plug a basic old phone into any phone jack in my house and it will work just fine.

pr_capone
08-03-2012, 11:20 AM
That is not how it works with the phone system at Cox. A single unit is installed in the house and then connected to the phone jack which goes through and activates the rest of the jacks around the house.

Only a single unit needed and there is no addl charge for extra phones.

cabletech94
08-03-2012, 12:23 PM
your time warner guy is an idiot, laz.

he is sadly misinformed. or just doesn't want to deal with your situation. or inferior tech.

Mr. Laz
08-03-2012, 12:26 PM
your time warner guy is an idiot, laz.

he is sadly misinformed. or just doesn't want to deal with your situation. or inferior tech.
:thumb:

Demonpenz
08-03-2012, 12:30 PM
it is a good alternative for those Cell/Cutters who have decided carrying around a cell phone. Simply isn't worth the hassel

BigMeatballDave
08-03-2012, 01:23 PM
I had Vonage 8 yrs ago and I ran the phone line out of the Vonage box into the telephone interface outside.

Every phone jack in the house was functional.

Huffmeister
08-03-2012, 01:26 PM
How does it work for the entire house?

This Time Warner guy is saying that they only install one phone per house for 19.99 and that each additional phone cost another 19.99 per month.

that can't be correct, can it?

also i thought Home VOIP used existing phone wiring to connect all your current phones to the VOIP.

This guy is saying that each phone has to have it's own coax cable and VOIP box.

Do you really have to run coax through your entire house to connect all your phones to the cable?
He was probably saying that each additional phone line, aka phone number, costs another 19.99 a month.

If you want to use the same phone number throughout the house, then you only need one VoIP box that is connected to an existing phone jack in your house. Someone calls your number (ie, 555-1111), and any phone in your house that is connected to that phone circuit will ring.

However, if you want two lines (ie, 555-1111 and 555-2222), then you will probably be charged more per month. Also, you would need another phone circuit in your house. I think the TWC modem / VoIP box that I had was capable of two lines, but I only used one.

08-03-2012, 03:09 PM
I use Google Voice with my Obihai Obitalk device. Free calls as long as Google voice stays free.

asdf
08-03-2012, 03:12 PM
I use Google Voice with my Obihai Obitalk device. Free calls as long as Google voice stays free.

This!! obi + google voice = free voip (after purchasing the obi device for $40 on amazon). I've been using this setup now for about 3 months and it's sweet....works as well as my previous paid voip service.

Mr. Laz
08-03-2012, 05:39 PM

can you hook it up to an existing phone jack and have it work on all your existing phones?