PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Bowe's Risk.

Micjones
08-03-2012, 11:21 AM
I'm going to assume Bowe's done something during the off-season to keep himself in relatively good shape. Treadmill, drills, jogging, etc.

If he were to sustain an injury in the process of keeping himself in shape (on his own), wouldn't that cost him the $9.5m he's owed by the Chiefs?
If he sustains the same injury during authorized football activities he'll still get that money, no?

That is to say, wouldn't he be safer in camp?

L.A. Chieffan
08-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Bowe is naturally undisciplined. He's probably fat and bored

Hammock Parties
08-03-2012, 11:25 AM
He'd be much safer getting pounded every day in practice.

RustShack
08-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Hopefully he kept in shape by working out with Fitz again. If he hurts himself, he is probably signing his tender and faxing it over before reporting and telling the team.

the Talking Can
08-03-2012, 11:29 AM
he should let some rookie street FA trying to make a name cheap shot him...to prove to Pioli that he isn't a thug

Micjones
08-03-2012, 11:32 AM

Safer financially? Absolutely.
Am I wrong?

Quesadilla Joe
08-03-2012, 11:32 AM
I don't know what would happen.

If Bowe were to get hurt and then hop on a plane to KC to sign his tag, I think the Chiefs would have to let him sign it and then pay him the $9.5M. If they don't let him sign it, Bowe would become a FA I would imagine.

Hammock Parties
08-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Safer financially? Absolutely.
Am I wrong?

Yes. He's not doing anything nearly as strenuous on his own. Come on.

Chiefnj2
08-03-2012, 11:34 AM
He probably has insurance.

saphojunkie
08-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Hopefully he kept in shape by working out with Fitz again. If he hurts himself, he is probably signing his tender and faxing it over before reporting and telling the team.

He'd still have to pass a physical.

I don't know what would happen.

If Bowe were to get hurt and then hop on a plane to KC to sign his tag, I think the Chiefs would have to let him sign it and then pay him the $9.5M. If they don't let him sign it, Bowe would become a FA I would imagine.

Ah...good point.

Quesadilla Joe
08-03-2012, 11:36 AM

And if the Chiefs fail him and take back the offer sheet he would become a free agent.

The only reason Bowe isn't a FA right now is because the Chiefs tagged him. If they take the tag away he doesn't belong to the Chiefs anymore. (I don't know for sure but it makes sense to me)

Ming the Merciless
08-03-2012, 11:37 AM

If he couldnt or didn't pass a physical.....that would be the end of it.

qabbaan
08-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Wtf? He is a million times safer working out at home.

In camp he is going to have scrubs taking shots at him for the last job on the kickoff team.

His only incentive a this point is to avoid damaging his market value and show up for week 1.

DeezNutz
08-03-2012, 11:40 AM
he should let some rookie street FA trying to make a name cheap shot him...to prove to Pioli that he isn't a thug

http://www.chiefconcerns.com/DBowe.jpg

Quesadilla Joe
08-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Denver placed a third round tender on Ryan McBean and McBean did not sign it, then in May McBean got suspended for PED's and Denver took the tender off of him and McBean became a FA.

Micjones
08-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Yes. He's not doing anything nearly as strenuous on his own. Come on.

I get that, but players sometimes go to those performance facilities and workout with trainers and such.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think he could sustain an injury.

lcarus
08-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Let us just pray that he doesn't slip on a Mickey D's wrapper and put his arm through a glass table.

Micjones
08-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Wtf? He is a million times safer working out at home.

In camp he is going to have scrubs taking shots at him for the last job on the kickoff team.

His only incentive a this point is to avoid damaging his market value and show up for week 1.

Not physically.

Safer FINANCIALLY.

qabbaan
08-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Injury risk is from being out of shape. You don't have to be in St Joseph to be in shape. (just walk around town and figure that out for yourself)

If he is running poor routes or being lazy when the season starts, it doesn't even matter, so long as he starts looking like his old self by the end of the year, for free agent purposes.

It won't hurt his market. Suitors will know he is just playing his hand correctly and once he is under a big money deal, the situation won't apply to them

Quesadilla Joe
08-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Broncos part ways with DT Ryan McBean

The Broncos have rescinded their contract tender to Ryan McBean, a move that releases the team's defensive tackle to free agency.

Technically, the Broncos did not release McBean because he had not yet signed the restricted free-agent tender of $1.3 million he received from the team in March. Absent McBean's signature, he technically was not under contract.

McBean started 21 games the past three seasons for the Broncos. He had a career-high four sacks last year.

However, the NFL recently slapped McBean and outside linebacker D.J. Williams with a six-game suspension for violating the league's performance-enhancement policy. McBean and Williams dispute the finding and have sued the league in a Denver District Court.

McBean apparently became expendable after the Broncos brought back veteran defensive tackle Justin Bannan last week.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20406808/broncos-release-dt-ryan-mcbean?source=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

saphojunkie
08-03-2012, 11:46 AM
If he couldnt or didn't pass a physical.....that would be the end of it.

Which is the worst case scenario for everyone. An injured Bowe wouldn't get a better deal on the open market than his franchise tender.

His best scenario is to get into camp after the first preseason game. He will practice for two weeks, sit out of the second preseason game, go for the third, and then coast until the season opener.

I still say he's skipping St. Joseph, but he'll be back during the preseason. Makes the most sense to me.

qabbaan
08-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Which is the worst case scenario for everyone. An injured Bowe wouldn't get a better deal on the open market than his franchise tender.

His best scenario is to get into camp after the first preseason game. He will practice for two weeks, sit out of the second preseason game, go for the third, and then coast until the season opener.

I still say he's skipping St. Joseph, but he'll be back during the preseason. Makes the most sense to me.

Bowe has no incentive whatever to be with the team before final cutdown or to play in preseason games. None. It's nothing but injury risk. His agent will tell him the same.

Chiefnj2
08-03-2012, 11:49 AM

Unless Pioli agrees not to tag him next year, IMO, he'll show up the last day possible.

Hammock Parties
08-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Broncos part ways with DT Ryan McBean

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20406808/broncos-release-dt-ryan-mcbean?source=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

LMAO

Jamal Williams, Justin Bannan, Ryan McBean, Kevin Vickerson, and Ronald Fields are ALL better than Dorsey.

Ryan McBean turning into a stud 3-4 DE made Green expendable.

Titty Meat
08-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Theres more of a risk for Bowe to come to camp and get hurt. We don't need him here right now.

Micjones
08-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Theres more of a risk for Bowe to come to camp and get hurt. We don't need him here right now.

More risk to the team, absolutely.

Quesadilla Joe
08-03-2012, 11:54 AM
LMAO

Sometimes I get a little too excited during the offseason, especially right after the draft and during preseason.

BossChief
08-03-2012, 11:58 AM
If he is put on the injury/not related to football list, he is still ours and he would be ineligible for compensation.

That's what I would do, anyway.

The player has a responsibility to the team for the 2012 season.

saphojunkie
08-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Bowe has no incentive whatever to be with the team before final cutdown or to play in preseason games. None. It's nothing but injury risk. His agent will tell him the same.

The number are much higher for injury with guys who sit out. Just saying. I think there is real value in showing up to camp. You can't go from running and weightlifting to live-action, regular season football.

If he sits out, there is just so much more risk of a major injury. That's why I think he'll show up with enough time past to get in shape but play minimal preseason snaps.

Of course, you're probably right. "What should" and "what will" are seldom the same.

notorious
08-03-2012, 11:59 AM
All of the time I get a waaaay too excited about Broncos football

FYP

BossChief
08-03-2012, 11:59 AM
More risk to the team, absolutely.

No.

Quesadilla Joe
08-03-2012, 12:02 PM
If he is put on the injury/not related to football list, he is still ours and he would be ineligible for compensation.

That's what I would do, anyway.

The player has a responsibility to the team for the 2012 season.

He would have to be under contract with the Chiefs to be put on the non-football injury list.

Chiefnj2
08-03-2012, 12:02 PM
The number are much higher for injury with guys who sit out. Just saying.

People keep saying this, yet I haven't seen anyone back it up. I'd love to see the numbers if it is true and whether the injuries were serious, or perhaps "tweaks" that the player is using to be a PIA to the team.

BossChief
08-03-2012, 12:17 PM
I almost guarantee Bowe is working out with other football players to be ready to step in and be able to not miss a beat.

If he isn't, he doesn't deserve to be paid big bucks because he is an idiot.

This year is a job interview for what could possibly be for over 80 million dollars.

Chiefnj2
08-03-2012, 12:26 PM
I almost guarantee Bowe is working out with other football players to be ready to step in and be able to not miss a beat.

I'm pretty sure the other guys are in camp.

Micjones
08-03-2012, 12:38 PM
No.

Bowe's risk is financial.
I suppose it could be physical too if he comes into camp super out of shape.

BossChief
08-03-2012, 12:44 PM
I'm pretty sure the other guys are in camp.

There are lots of football players not currently on rosters.

Haha

Maybe he is working out with to.

BossChief
08-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Bowe's risk is financial.
I suppose it could be physical too if he comes into camp super out of shape.

The longer he waits, the bigger the risk is to the player...both physically and financially.

Chiefnj2
08-03-2012, 01:03 PM
The longer he waits, the bigger the risk is to the player...both physically.

Do you have a link to an article that talks about players who hold out getting injured at a higher rate?

Micjones
08-03-2012, 01:09 PM
The longer he waits, the bigger the risk is to the player...both physically and financially.

Touche.

TEX
08-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Do you have a link to an article that talks about players who hold out getting injured at a higher rate?

I don't - but I bet over the year's it's pretty darn high.

BossChief
08-03-2012, 01:25 PM

Is this a joke, or are you new to the sport?

Chiefnj2
08-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Is this a joke, or are you new to the sport?

Back up your claim.

thabear04
08-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Maybe he catching passes from Jamarcus Russell I heard Bowe has to come in by Aug 6th?

BossChief
08-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Back up your claim.

I don't need to waste any time proving what is common knowledge to anyone that has followed football.

Sorry.

KCrockaholic
08-03-2012, 02:19 PM

I just want to point out the Chiefs aren't tackling/taking guys to the ground in practices right now. He would not be getting pounded.

Micjones
08-03-2012, 02:23 PM
I just want to point out the Chiefs aren't tackling/taking guys to the ground in practices right now. He would not be getting pounded.

Not even in padded practices?

ModSocks

Hey, hey, hey.

Take that shit to the Chick-fil-A thread.

Micjones
Hey, hey, hey.

Take that shit to the Chick-fil-A thread.

ROFL

KCrockaholic
08-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Not even in padded practices?

no

Q: You guys play in a week, do you have any plans of a scrimmage or playing live so the guys can hit and tackle before they get into the real game?

CRENNEL: “No, we are not going to scrimmage. We are not going to take guys to the ground. We work on individual drills. We talked about, defensively, making sure we get some tackling work without taking guys down. When we work against Arizona, you will see, it will be up tempo. We won’t tackle and take guys to the ground here, so really their first opportunity to tackle and take guys to the ground will be in the game on Friday. These guys, particularly the veterans know, some of the young guys do not know, but what will happens is they will get into what they think is a good position and miss the tackle. They think the other guy across from them is pretty good too and they will not realize the speed of the game. That happens every year, you can practice, but when you get to the preseason game the speed of the game picks up, there is more energy and everybody is trying to do their best. The young guys just don’t realize how fast it is yet.”

O.city
08-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Wr's aren't getting hit anyway. They are having contact, just wrapping up and stopping.

This shouldn't get blown out of the water. No teams will go to the grown on a consistent basis in TC. It would be stupid.