PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs notebook: KC to get some practice time against Cardinals

Tribal Warfare
08-04-2012, 12:56 AM
Chiefs notebook: KC to get some practice time against Cardinals (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/03/3742060/chiefs-notebook-kc-to-get-some.html)

Plans for Arizona visit

The Arizona Cardinals will spend next week in St. Joseph after playing New Orleans in Sunday night’s Hall of Fame Game, but they’ll practice against the Chiefs only once, at 3:15 p.m. Tuesday.

In most instances when teams get together for practice sessions, they usually work at least two days against each other, but the schedule is squeezed next week with the Cardinals getting a day off after a game on Monday and having to play the Chiefs on a Friday in Kansas City’s preseason opener.

Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel said Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt “has some objectives he would like to get done, but he has to take care of his team, too.”

Admission will be $5 per person, and children 3 and under will be admitted free. There will be a $5 parking fee. No admission fee will be charged on Wednesday because the Cardinals will not be holding a public practice.

Weis watching is unlikely

While Crennel has an interest in how former Chiefs and Patriots assistant Charlie Weis fares as the new head coach at Kansas, Crennel doesn’t foresee attending any Jayhawks games. Nor does Crennel expect to see Weis at Arrowhead on Sundays.

“In coaching, you have to concentrate on your team, and your situation, and that takes a lot of time,” Crennel said. “I have the opportunity to watch college games when I’m on the road and we’re at the hotel. Before the meeting, I’ll flip on the TV and see who’s playing. If he happens to be on that time, I will watch. Usually on Saturday, we’re practicing, and by the time you drive down, the game is half over, and I’ve got to get back to the hotel …

“He understands … and I think he’ll watch if he has an opportunity. If he doesn’t have an opportunity, he’ll be taking care of his business like I’ll be taking care of my business.”

Washington excused from practice

Defensive back Donald Washington was not in camp on Friday because of a family issue. Defensive back Jacques Reeves, who also has been absent because of a family situation, was expected in camp Friday and will have to sit out three days before he’s allowed to practice in pads.

Familiar face in camp

Jason Dunn, who played tight end for the Chiefs from 2000 to 2007 and is now coaching high school football in Kentucky, spent a few days at training camp after meeting Crennel during an offseason function.

“Jason played at Eastern Kentucky, which is too bad,” joked Crennel, who played and coached at Western Kentucky, “so I knew of Jason. And because of the Kentucky connection, we talked … I saw him play, and I know that he was a decent player, and now that his career is over, I asked what he was doing and what his aspirations were. He said he enjoyed the game of football and was coaching and wanted to learn as much as he could, and I said, ‘Come on.’ ”

Dunn left camp on Friday night to attend the induction of former Chiefs offensive tackle Willie Roaf into the Pro Football Hall of Fame tonight in Canton, Ohio.

COchief
08-04-2012, 07:38 AM
Chiefs notebook: KC to get some practice time against Cardinals (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/03/3742060/chiefs-notebook-kc-to-get-some.html)

Familiar face in camp

Jason Dunn, who played tight end for the Chiefs from 2000 to 2007 and is now coaching high school football in Kentucky, spent a few days at training camp after meeting Crennel during an offseason function.

“Jason played at Eastern Kentucky, which is too bad,” joked Crennel, who played and coached at Western Kentucky, “so I knew of Jason. And because of the Kentucky connection, we talked … I saw him play, and I know that he was a decent player, and now that his career is over, I asked what he was doing and what his aspirations were. He said he enjoyed the game of football and was coaching and wanted to learn as much as he could, and I said, ‘Come on.’ ”

Dunn left camp on Friday night to attend the induction of former Chiefs offensive tackle Willie Roaf into the Pro Football Hall of Fame tonight in Canton, Ohio.

Very cool, I always liked and respected Dunn as a solid role player.

The Mayor
08-04-2012, 08:34 AM
I agree. He was a huge part of the Priest running game. Good guy.

mcaj22
08-04-2012, 11:59 AM
i am amazed Donald Washington is still here lol