PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Mad Men...is it really any good?

Barrymore50
08-04-2012, 04:23 PM
I tried watching the first three eps of Mad Men on Netflix. I just couldn't get into it, and don't really see what the fuss is all about. I almost feel guilty for not liking it, because NFlix keeps recommending it for me and the show wins awards, made a star of Jon Hamm, etc. It seems very slow and seems very obvious in it's ongoing threads (will Don keep thinking up good ads? will Don's real ID ever be revealed? Will he and his wife (January Jones--with some of the worst acting I've ever witnessed) break up? Will Peggy sleep her way to the top? etc etc). I'm not sure how they could keep these storylines going (except for just sloooooowly stretching them out) over 6,7, 8 seasons. I love Breaking Bad (which has me on the edge of my seat every episode) and like Hell on Wheels a lot, both of which are also AMC shows.

Red Brooklyn
08-04-2012, 04:41 PM
The short, easy answer is: yes. It is that good. It's better, in fact. I'd say it's easily one of the top 5 shows in the history of television.

But it is a slow burn, so it may just not be for you.

BigMeatballDave
08-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Since I just got into Breaking Bad a few weeks ago, and caught up on Netflix, I'm going to give this a try.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-04-2012, 05:36 PM
If you enjoy going to the local senior center and watch dudes sip scotch and talk about the 60's...sure ;)

Brock
08-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Maybe you should stick with 2 and a half men.

Reaper16
08-04-2012, 05:46 PM
The short, easy answer is: yes. It is that good. It's better, in fact. I'd say it's easily one of the top 5 shows in the history of television.

But it is a slow burn, so it may just not be for you.

This.

Baby Lee
08-04-2012, 06:03 PM
I can honestly see how vast stretches of Mad Men might not be for everyone. It's a slice of life that is grounded in a time we feel we should be able to relate to [and think we know a great deal about] told with such specificity that attentive viewers will gain new insights.
Further, it's told in the milieu of folks at or near the top of the food chain where they had to balance their dysfunction and hedonism with a veneer of professionalism and creativity. If you don't dig on seeing how our individual personal and professional lives coalesce into evolving societal norms, as well as seeing the toll our personal and professional decisions wear on us over time, MM is probably a boring slog indeed.

Its not plot heavy. Its not procedure heavy. It often meanders seemingly without even an aspiration to 'direction.' But it often gives keenly observed insights and plenty of poignant moments as you settle into these people's lives.

L.A. Chieffan
08-04-2012, 06:12 PM
A little too sexist for me.

Baby Lee
08-04-2012, 06:15 PM

Woats wong wih bein' sexy?

Reaper16
08-04-2012, 07:37 PM

You're such a troll. Jesus.

CoMoChief
08-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Mad Men, Deadwood, and The Wire are all of the shows I'm getting into right now. (still think Breaking Bad is the best)

So far I'd rank in personal preference.

Breaking Bad
The Wire
Deadwood
Mad Men

DaneMcCloud
08-04-2012, 07:42 PM

LMAO

MoreLemonPledge
08-04-2012, 08:08 PM

Not sure if serious...

Jenson71
08-04-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm a season behind, but I really like the show. It might be a little over-hyped, but it's good and fun to watch. It's very polished.

BigMeatballDave
08-04-2012, 08:13 PM
2 episodes in.

Not bad.

Buck
08-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Only if you want to watch the best show on TV.

TinyEvel
08-04-2012, 10:29 PM
I wonder if Meth dealers talk about Breaking Bad at work on Monday morning like us ad people do Mad Men?

Demonpenz
08-04-2012, 11:13 PM
Everyone talks about breaking bad on Monday.

buddha
08-04-2012, 11:30 PM
This all comes down to personal taste, but I find Mad Men to be more style than substance.

DaneMcCloud
08-04-2012, 11:40 PM
I wonder if Meth dealers talk about Breaking Bad at work on Monday morning like us ad people do Mad Men?

Joey?

Reaper16
08-05-2012, 12:28 AM
This all comes down to personal taste, but I find Mad Men to be more style than substance.

That's because you are a dolt.

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2012, 12:34 AM
Madman is a difficult show for many people to get into because at its core, it's character study. The backdrop just happens to be the 60's and while there are many fascinating things happening all around, it's a drama that you either "get" or don't.

No offense intended, whatsoever. Many people just don't have time or want to put in the effort for more "drama".

TrickyNicky
08-05-2012, 08:45 AM
I'd say it's top 3 all time, right behind Friends and Eight is Enough.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Meh Men. I can just see the fanboys smoking a cigar and sipping scotch watching this

Pitt Gorilla
08-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Maybe you should stick with 2 and a half men.Correct.

Gonzo
08-05-2012, 09:42 AM
I too have tried to watch it but I found the first to episodes droll and boring.

However, I think I'll give it another shot. If its on AMC, it has to be good. (Except for that new redneck security show. WTF Were they thinking about when they decided to follow the best show on TV with that piece of shit?)

OnTheWarpath15
08-05-2012, 09:56 AM
I too have tried to watch it but I found the first to episodes droll and boring.

However, I think I'll give it another shot. If its on AMC, it has to be good. (Except for that new redneck security show. WTF Were they thinking about when they decided to follow the best show on TV with that piece of shit?)

They were thinking they might be able to get viewers of the best show on TV to stick around.

Gonzo
08-05-2012, 10:04 AM
They were thinking they might be able to get viewers of the best show on TV to stick around.

The target audiences are completely different though, don't you think?

Maybe the age range or something is what they were targeting? Fuck, it's just that the two shows are in complete contrast to one-another.
One show is a cerebral drama and the other is complete moronic nonsense.

Red Brooklyn
08-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Mad Men is an investment, to be sure. It's not going to hook anyone from the start like Breaking Bad.

It took until episode 5 before the light went off, for me. Haven't looked back since. I think it's the best show on TV right now.

Sucky
08-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Its not bad but like you mentioned, I really couldnt get into it either.

All the characters are basically smug & unlikeable. Although Don Draper is a good character.

Also there are some hot chicks on the show but other than that not really my thing and it doesnt even come close to Breaking Bad