PDA

View Full Version : Football Creating a new Chiefs fan

mdchiefsfan
08-04-2012, 07:32 PM
I could use a little advice. My girlfriend's son is 9 years old and I guess his father was never much into sports. The other day I got him to go out with me and throw the football. He showed no real interest in it until I started throwing it with him and now he's interested.

So now I am thinking about brining him into our misery as Chiefs fans. What kinds of things have you done to spark a young child's interest in football? I know it is ultimately up to him but I want to make Sunday's kind of special for him and I.

milkman
08-04-2012, 07:35 PM
A solid chair and duct tape.

mdchiefsfan
08-04-2012, 07:38 PM
A solid chair and duct tape.

LMAO might need it, I have yet to find a chair he will stay or sit properly in.

FlaChief58
08-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Take him to a game, show him a good time and how passionate Chiefs fans are about our team. Most importantly, be a good role model to him. If he looks up to you, he will want to be like you and the rest will come

Strongside
08-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Read that as "My girlfriend is 9 years old." I was going to say, just convince her to be a Chiefs fan the same way you convinced her to like creepy old dudes, but...

Buy the kid some Chiefs gear and take him to a game. A lot of kids that age never get to experience something like that...I know I didn't. Not only will he love you, but Arrowhead will instantly turn just about any kid into a Chiefs fan for life.

mdchiefsfan
08-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Take him to a game, show him a good time and how passionate Chiefs fans are about our team. Most importantly, be a good role model to him. If he looks up to you, he will want to be like you and the rest will come

Problem is I live in MD. I would love to take him. To be honest, I haven't even been to Arrowhead.

mdchiefsfan
08-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Read that as "My girlfriend is 9 years old." I was going to say, just convince her to be a Chiefs fan the same way you convinced her to like creepy old dudes, but...

Buy the kid some Chiefs gear and take him to a game. A lot of kids that age never get to experience something like that...I know I didn't. Not only will he love you, but Arrowhead will instantly turn just about any kid into a Chiefs fan for life.

Haha. Thats one thing I was thinking, get him a Berry or Hali jersey. If I can get him to enjoy defense I've got him hooked in the sport.

wazu
08-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Watch games on TV. Talk with him about football. Play in the backyard, taking turns against each other on offense/defense. Get him on a flag team this fall and be a coach. Take him to a game at Arrowhead. I've got more ideas if none of this works.

RustShack
08-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Buy him a Jamaal Charles jersey.

RustShack
08-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Or Berry like you said.

mdchiefsfan
08-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Buy him a Jamaal Charles jersey.

Or Berry like you said.

Yea I was thinking JC, but the life of a RB is a mysterious thing, I want to get him the jersey of a player he can grow up watching for some time.

FlaChief58
08-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Problem is I live in MD. I would love to take him. To be honest, I haven't even been to Arrowhead.

NP, watch the games with him wherever you can. The most important part to a young boy is feeling wanted. Spending time with him builds trust and respect, that's what it's all about.

RustShack
08-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Go to the closest Chiefs away game?

Munson
08-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Just make sure you warn him about our ugly ass cheerleaders. You don't want to scare him away.

mdchiefsfan
08-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Watch games on TV.

Check

Talk with him about football.

Plan to do this during the games then let the questions flow and answer to the best of my ability.

Play in the backyard, taking turns against each other on offense/defense.

Have done that, will continue.

Get him on a flag team this fall and be a coach.

This might be tough, he doesn't live with us.

Take him to a game at Arrowhead.

Tough with us living in MD.

I've got more ideas if none of this works.

Thanks, great starting place.

mdchiefsfan
08-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Go to the closest Chiefs away game?

Could but I need to turn him before his Ravens fan mother tries to capitalize on the homefield advantage.

Rain Man
Teach him the intricacies of the salary cap. It sucks a person in.

mdchiefsfan
Teach him the intricacies of the salary cap. It sucks a person in.

ROFL brilliant! I knew this was the place to go for advice. The ol' curve ball. He'll never see it coming.

Strongside
08-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Just watch the games with him on TV if you can't make it in person. If he looks up to you and sees you getting excited, he'll become even more interested. Take time to explain the rules of the game as it's going on so that he can pick up on them. My mom talks about my dad yelling "Where's the flag!?" while watching the Chiefs when I was three and I brought him a toy pirate flag from my room. haha...

MoreLemonPledge
08-04-2012, 08:05 PM
I shaved my son's head bald and used the hair to fashion him a goatee. Now he knows what it's like to be a real Chiefs fan.

Munson
08-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Don't let him become a "true fan."

mdchiefsfan
08-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Just watch the games with him on TV if you can't make it in person. If he looks up to you and sees you getting excited, he'll become even more interested. Take time to explain the rules of the game as it's going on so that he can pick up on them. My mom talks about my dad yelling "Where's the flag!?" while watching the Chiefs when I was three and I brought him a toy pirate flag from my room. haha...

That is awesome! I'll bet that stuck with your Dad. I'm truly pumped for this season. It's pretty cool to try to share this with him. Hope it sticks.

Strongside
08-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Pump him full of alcohol and barbeque and then have another neighborhood kid come over and pick on him while wearing Raiders gear.

mdchiefsfan
08-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Don't let him become a "true fan."

Right? No worries he'll only be allowed to swear if Cassel shits himself.

the Talking Can
08-04-2012, 08:10 PM
introduce him to pawnsmoker

he'll kill himself, then you won't have to worry about it

MoreLemonPledge
08-04-2012, 08:11 PM
http://www.frenchlakeautoparts.com/images/antifreeze.jpg

mdchiefsfan
08-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Pump him full of alcohol and barbeque and then have another neighborhood kid come over and pick on him while wearing Raiders gear, then have him steal his bike.

FYP :thumb:

Ming the Merciless
08-04-2012, 08:16 PM
make a big deal out of opening day, and pray to god we beat atlanta. Have a party foryou and him, where u bust out the chips and sodas and throw the ball at half time.

Maybe watch a pre season game with him or a espn classic game to go over some basic rules.

Fuck yah bro

Setsuna
08-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Tell him playoff wins don't mean shit.

mdchiefsfan
08-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Another thing i was thinking is getting my favorite food and his favorite food, kinda make a tradition outta Sundays.

Ming the Merciless
08-04-2012, 08:18 PM
show him some of setsuna's posts where people clownhim then comeback in week 8 after the jags are mathematically eliminated and let him talk shit to setsuna

Phobia
Just let the kid pick his own team. Making a Chiefs fan is horrible and will probably land you answering some questions from CPS.

mdchiefsfan
make a big deal out of opening day, and pray to god we beat atlanta. Have a party foryou and him, where u bust out the chips and sodas and throw the ball at half time.

Maybe watch a pre season game with him or a espn classic game to go over some basic rules.

**** yah bro

You just became a father didn't you? I think I recall a post of yours along those lines. Or i have a terrible memory.

Ming the Merciless
You just became a father didn't you? I think I recall a post of yours along those lines. Or i have a terrible memory.

yah man....he is 4 months old

edit:

and i am torn on whether to push chiefs or not (mama is a niners fan, niners is closest for me....fuck the raiders)

Hammock Parties
08-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Show him this video.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ltig6td5iPA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Setsuna
08-04-2012, 08:20 PM
show him some of setsuna's posts where people clownhim then comeback in week 8 after the jags are mathematically eliminated and let him talk shit to setsuna

ROFL LMAO ROFL LMAO ROFL

Dude I have thoroughly enjoyed your posts lately. And we'll be eliminated by week 4, trust me.

Ming the Merciless
08-04-2012, 08:21 PM
ROFL LMAO ROFL LMAO ROFL

Dude I have thoroughly enjoyed your posts lately. And we'll be eliminated by week 4, trust me.

right on bro....

I'm sure my heart will get broken AGAIN this year....

Lets have a beer together when that happens 8-( and commiserate

mdchiefsfan
08-04-2012, 08:24 PM
yah man....he is 4 months old

edit:

and i am torn on whether to push chiefs or not (mama is a niners fan, niners is closest for me....**** the raiders)

Congrats man. Thats kind of what my situation is; his mom is a Ravens fan, I'm a Chiefs fan. I feel I won't be passionate enough to get him interested in anything but the Chiefs, his mom is a casual fan since her family is a bunch of Ravens fans. I would teach him football better making him a Chiefs fan, but that would make him a Chiefs fan. Tough call.

Setsuna
08-04-2012, 08:28 PM
right on bro....

I'm sure my heart will get broken AGAIN this year....

Lets have a beer together when that happens 8-( and commiserate

Deal. Ebony and Ivory....:thumb:

Ming the Merciless
08-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Congrats man. Thats kind of what my situation is; his mom is a Ravens fan, I'm a Chiefs fan. I feel I won't be passionate enough to get him interested in anything but the Chiefs, his mom is a casual fan since her family is a bunch of Ravens fans. I would teach him football better making him a Chiefs fan, but that would make him a Chiefs fan. Tough call.

Same here exactly. I am not passionate at all about the niners....I mean I root for them in the NFC but I do not own anything of the niners, BUT we could go to more niner games ......

ALthough I really prefer watching games on the High Def so that isn't too big of an issue for me. I just hope I don't inflict like 20 years of sadness on a child, like the last 20+ years has been for me..(yes some fun moments too...)

Munson
08-04-2012, 08:31 PM
If he does become a Chiefs fan, prepare him for a lifetime of disappointment.

stevieray
08-04-2012, 08:32 PM
..show him the video they played on the jumbo screen before the MNF game against the Chargers..it's easy to find.

mdchiefsfan
08-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Show him this video.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ltig6td5iPA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Clay, your videos rock. Without a doubt I'll be (blindfolding him for parts of it, but...) showing him some of your gifs. Most show legit football intricasies, others show your bias o:-)

Ming the Merciless
08-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Deal. Ebony and Ivory....:thumb:

hall and oates....?

http://www.artofali.com/hall&oates.jpg

Which one to i get to role play

Nightfyre
08-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Seriously, why would you knowingly do that to someone you love? The Chiefs are a curse, not a blessing.

mdchiefsfan
08-04-2012, 08:35 PM
..show him the video they played on the jumbo screen before the MNF game against the Chargers..it's easy to find.

Good idea, that was epic.

mdchiefsfan
08-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Same here exactly. I am not passionate at all about the niners....I mean I root for them in the NFC but I do not own anything of the niners, BUT we could go to more niner games ......

ALthough I really prefer watching games on the High Def so that isn't too big of an issue for me. I just hope I don't inflict like 20 years of sadness on a child, like the last 20+ years has been for me..(yes some fun moments too...)

The way I am leaning is if it gets him into sports and its something we can share, who cares about the other stuff.

Hammock Parties
08-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Here tis.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wz51xS0K56k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mdchiefsfan
08-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Seriously, why would you knowingly do that to someone you love? The Chiefs are a curse, not a blessing.

What can I say? We love to hate them.

mdchiefsfan
08-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Here tis.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wz51xS0K56k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks.

KCTitus
08-04-2012, 08:42 PM
My kids didnt really get into watching a full game until at least 11...they knew I was a chiefs fan and now are forever tainted with being said fans. My kids only know frustration from 2003 forward...they have no idea what Ive witnessed since the early 80's and of course my father who was at the Christmas Day game.

At any rate, he will gravitate to your team...sorry.

Deberg_1990
08-04-2012, 08:46 PM
I could use a little advice. My girlfriend's son is 9 years old and I guess his father was never much into sports. The other day I got him to go out with me and throw the football. He showed no real interest in it until I started throwing it with him and now he's interested.

So now I am thinking about brining him into our misery as Chiefs fans. What kinds of things have you done to spark a young child's interest in football? I know it is ultimately up to him but I want to make Sunday's kind of special for him and I.

As a lifelong Chiefs and Royals fan, im going to have to advise you to steer him towards becoming a Yankee, Lakers, Patriots and Steelers fan,.

mdchiefsfan
08-04-2012, 08:52 PM
As a lifelong Chiefs and Royals fan, im going to have to advise you to steer him towards becoming a Yankee, Lakers, Patriots and Steelers fan,.

LMAO I can't stand bandwagon fans or anyof the teams you just mentioned. I'm a Chiefs, Orioles, and Mavericks fan, the child is screwed.

mdchiefsfan
08-04-2012, 08:52 PM
My kids didnt really get into watching a full game until at least 11...they knew I was a chiefs fan and now are forever tainted with being said fans. My kids only know frustration from 2003 forward...they have no idea what Ive witnessed since the early 80's and of course my father who was at the Christmas Day game.

At any rate, he will gravitate to your team...sorry.

I can't wait man.

jspchief
08-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Another thing i was thinking is getting my favorite food and his favorite food, kinda make a tradition outta Sundays.

This is the best way to go about it. If he sees you treating football like an event, he'll start to see it as an event. Cheer the big plays, jump up on the scores. Making it something more than just a tv show is what draws a kid's interest.

As for who he roots for... Pray the Chiefs are good. No kid wants to hear how his team sucks from kids at school. When he gets older, maybe he associates the enjoyment with those days watching KC with you.

KCTitus
08-04-2012, 09:00 PM
I can't wait man.

When he sits with you for an entire game, it's a milestone....you'll be so proud. Hopefully, Cassel wont be behind center.

mdchiefsfan
08-04-2012, 09:01 PM
This is the best way to go about it. If he sees you treating football like an event, he'll start to see it as an event. Cheer the big plays, jump up on the scores. Making it something more than just a tv show is what draws a kid's interest.

As for who he roots for... Pray the Chiefs are good. No kid wants to hear how his team sucks from kids at school. When he gets older, maybe he associates the enjoyment with those days watching KC with you.

Yea, he is a very competitive kid too when it comes to video games.... :hmmm:Maybe I could utilize Cassel's level of suck to show him he doesn't have to be perfect to get 63 mil.

KCTitus
08-04-2012, 09:03 PM
...As for who he roots for... Pray the Chiefs are good. No kid wants to hear how his team sucks from kids at school. When he gets older, maybe he associates the enjoyment with those days watching KC with you.

My two eldest, now take the ribbing as a sense of pride...my oldest boy had a KC backpack, on the east coast, mind you. Of course, mostly, Redskin and Cowboy fans around here, so the smack was limited.

mdchiefsfan
08-04-2012, 09:04 PM
When he sits with you for an entire game, it's a milestone....you'll be so proud. Hopefully, Cassel wont be behind center.

I definitely need to remember to keep things in perspective like this. I can't allow myself to want this more than he does.

mdchiefsfan
08-04-2012, 09:05 PM
My two eldest, now take the ribbing as a sense of pride...my oldest boy had a KC backpack, on the east coast, mind you. Of course, mostly, Redskin and Cowboy fans around here, so the smack was limited.

Where are you from?

KCTitus
08-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Where are you from?

Originally, KC...;)...live in Richmond, VA now.

mdchiefsfan
08-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Originally, KC...;)...live in Richmond, VA now.

Will sound strange but born in Williamsburg. My brother was actually born in Henrico County. I miss parts of VA after living in MD.

KCTitus
08-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Will sound strange but born in Williamsburg. My brother was actually born in Henrico County. I miss parts of VA after living in MD.

I'll bet you do...MD's no picnic.

Tombstone RJ
08-04-2012, 09:47 PM

:)

sounds like you want to ruin his sundays permanently...

Setsuna
08-04-2012, 10:07 PM
hall and oates....?

http://www.artofali.com/hall&oates.jpg

Which one to i get to role play

There isn't a black person in that picture...

milkman
08-04-2012, 10:13 PM

It's his girlfriend's son.

Maybe it's an evil step father kind of thing.

LOCOChief
08-04-2012, 10:16 PM

Really good advice.

but so was Milkmans.

Psyko Tek
08-04-2012, 10:21 PM

that's good, me and my boys do nachos every game

Ming the Merciless
08-04-2012, 10:21 PM
There isn't a black person in that picture...

Damn

Ok

Wait you're black too or are you just talking about me?

Setsuna
08-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Damn

Ok

Wait you're black too or are you just talking about me?

I am negro. Yes.

Ming the Merciless
08-04-2012, 10:27 PM
I am negro. Yes.

picture of us?

http://cdn.randomfunnypicture.com/wp2/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/picture-with-a-black-guy.jpg

Ming the Merciless
08-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Setsuna = Afrika, MY MMA coach?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cJccT0moO28" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Setsuna
08-04-2012, 10:51 PM
picture of us?

http://cdn.randomfunnypicture.com/wp2/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/picture-with-a-black-guy.jpg
Adequate.

Setsuna = Afrika, MY MMA coach?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cJccT0moO28" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
ROFL I prefer the other picture to that. LOL wow.

Chiefshrink
08-04-2012, 11:12 PM
have him play Madden since he is 9 and show him from an animated perspective how the game is played and what to expect.

BossChief
08-04-2012, 11:50 PM
Take him to a Chiefs game after buying him a copy of Madden.

kcxiv
08-05-2012, 12:04 AM

i would just go with the team i root for. Its just easier, plus my basketball team is pure winners, so that takes some of the sting off the Chiefs being a dud. lol

IT would be alot more fun to cheer with him then against him when the 2 different teams play.

I dunno, thats what i would do.

bevischief
08-05-2012, 04:57 AM
A playoff win.

R8RFAN
08-05-2012, 05:24 AM
Tell him the Superbowl is just a Myth

BillSelfsTrophycase
08-05-2012, 05:34 AM
Rules of Chief Fan...

Rule #1 - Matt Cassel sucks

Rule #2 - First learn rule #1

mdchiefsfan
08-05-2012, 06:10 AM
have him play Madden since he is 9 and show him from an animated perspective how the game is played and what to expect.

Take him to a Chiefs game after buying him a copy of Madden.

Wow didn't think if this... great idea.

mesmith31
08-05-2012, 06:46 AM
Wow didn't think if this... great idea.

Yeah, I was about to say the same thing. I grew up playing basketball and soccer and it wasn't until I started playing Techmo Bowl with my buddies (dating myself) that I started to know the players names and what they were good at. From there, it was finding a player that I could connect with.

It started with Albert Lewis and then DT, and then I went to my first game and that sealed the deal.

Slainte
08-05-2012, 06:52 AM
Well, the Chiefs are due to lose another 1st round playoff game to the Ravens @ Balt, so it shouldn't be much of a financial burden to inculcate him into KC fandom this very year...

milkman
08-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Yeah, I was about to say the same thing. I grew up playing basketball and soccer and it wasn't until I started playing Techmo Bowl with my buddies (dating myself) that I started to know the players names and what they were good at. From there, it was finding a player that I could connect with.

It started with Albert Lewis and then DT, and then I went to my first game and that sealed the deal.

So you invited your buddies along on your dates with yourself?

mesmith31
08-05-2012, 08:31 AM
So you invited your buddies along on your dates with yourself?

Apparently, only after things didn't work out between myself and Albert Lewis.