PDA

View Full Version : Football Tom Brady hopes to play past 40

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-06-2012, 09:51 AM
I'm sick of looking at the guy now... much respect if he can do it at a high level though.

Tom Brady hopes to play past 40 August 6, 2012, 11:21 AM

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/8238774/new-england-patriots-tom-brady-now-35-wants-play-long-time

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Tom Brady turned 35 on Friday, earning the Patriots' quarterback a few birthday serenades from fans at New England's training camp.

While Brady has said in the past that he would like to play until he is 40, and has shown few signs of slowing down, the Patriots are getting ever closer to the unthinkable: life without their franchise quarterback.

After practice Sunday, Brady wouldn't put a number on how many more years he would like to play, just reiterating that he would "like to play for a long time."

Great players often combine conditioning, smarts and a love for football to remain effective into their late 30s and beyond, said Nick Caserio, the Patriots' director of player personnel.

"Joe Montana was a great player, (Dan) Marino was a great player, (John) Elway was a good player, (Troy) Aikman -- those guys were fun to watch for years," he said.

Quarterback George Blanda played until he was 48, Steve DeBerg to 44 and Brett Favre until he was 41.

Caserio cited two other examples. Vinny Testaverde was 42 when he played for the Patriots in 2006 and Doug Flutie was 43 when he played for the Pats in 2005.

Brady said after practice Sunday that he has a lot of football left in him, and that both Flutie and Testaverde were great teammates and that he learned a great deal from both.

"I'm a long ways from 42," Brady reminded reporters. "Hopefully, I'm still talking to you guys when I'm 42."

Four-year veteran Brian Hoyer and second-year pro Ryan Mallett are competing to one day replace Brady, or to be able to step in if he goes down again, as he did in 2008.

"I think they're going to have ample opportunity here in the preseason, so we'll get a good gauge," Caserio said.

Mallett spent much of his rookie season trying to catch up after the lockout eliminated rookie camp and OTAs.

"I think having a spring under my belt and going back to Day 1 of how we do things is the kind of stuff that I missed last year from day one," he said. "So I was trying to play catch up (last year) and it's hard to play catch up in this offense."

Mallett said his increased comfort level has been evident during camp, and coach Bill Belichick agrees.

"He's way ahead of where he was last year," Belichick said. "(He) knows more about what we're doing. I think has a better understanding of what the defense is doing and has run the plays -- he's actually run them. Last year, we were putting them in and he had never done them before."

The Patriots pretty much know what they have in the 26-year-old Hoyer, who will be an unrestricted free agent after the 2012 season and could earn a major opportunity elsewhere.

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press

tl;dr... Tom Brady hopes to play past 40

the Talking Can
08-06-2012, 09:53 AM
the Patriot Way should hope so...

loochy
08-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Watch him blow up his elbow and we buy a 41 year old Tom Brady the next season

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Watch him blow up his elbow and we buy a 41 year old Tom Brady the next season

LMAO

"The Chief way"

Rain Man
08-06-2012, 09:58 AM
"Joe Montana was a great player, (Dan) Marino was a great player, (John) Elway was a good player, (Troy) Aikman -- those guys were fun to watch for years," he said.

Bwahahahaha.

Sofa King
08-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Bwahahahaha.

I noticed that too. LMAO

Hammock Parties
08-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Cannot fucking wait to get Brady in red.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Cannot ****ing wait to get Brady in red.

He'll certainly be at the top of his game when it happens heh.

Sofa King
08-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Cannot ****ing wait to get Brady in red.

Matt Cassel for Tom Brady plus NE's 3rd rounder.

Bump
08-06-2012, 01:37 PM
well he hasn't shown any signs of slowing down at all. Give that man a running back and they will win the big one again. As much as their defense has sucked last year, it's amazing they made it to the Superbowl. But Tom Brady probably is THE best QB of all time and that's hard for me to say because I've always been stuck with Joe Montana being the best. They probably about even.

JD10367
08-06-2012, 02:28 PM
I highly doubt Brady plays past 40, honestly. Three rings, five appearances, already in discussion as one of the best ever, pile of cash, hot model wife... Plus, his personality is so obsessive (he's a horrible sore loser) that, once he hangs up the cleats, he'll put just as much passion into his next job (businessman, politician, NFL commentator, whatever) that it'll fill the void left by football. (This all gets amplified if the Pats manage to win another Super Bowl. Frankly, if they'd won at least one of the two against the New York Elis, I'm not even sure he'd be playing right now.)

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-06-2012, 02:31 PM
I highly doubt Brady plays past 40, honestly. Three rings, five appearances, already in discussion as one of the best ever, pile of cash, hot model wife... Plus, his personality is so obsessive (he's a horrible sore loser) that, once he hangs up the cleats, he'll put just as much passion into his next job (businessman, politician, NFL commentator, whatever) that it'll fill the void left by football. (This all gets amplified if the Pats manage to win another Super Bowl. Frankly, if they'd won at least one of the two against the New York Elis, I'm not even sure he'd be playing right now.)

Not to be disagreable but for him to say he wants to play past 40 means to me that the competitive fire is burning strong as ever so I doubt he'd have gone anywhere yet... or in the near future.

JD10367
08-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Not to be disagreable but for him to say he wants to play past 40 means to me that the competitive fire is burning strong as ever so I doubt he'd have gone anywhere yet... or in the near future.

It's easy for him to say that now, in early August, after having been away from football for a few months. Win another SB--or even lose another SB--and that tune will change. Eventually he's going to get the aches and pains, and start to wonder why he's still doing it. If he'd won the two Giant SBs he'd have five rings, the undisputed spot at the top of the NFL QB heap, and little reason to continue. But, hey, who knows. As I said, he's a wicked sore loser (supposedly if he loses at a board game in the locker room he gets pissed, LOL) so maybe he will play as long as he can, just 'cause he likes winning.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-06-2012, 02:44 PM
It's easy for him to say that now, in early August, after having been away from football for a few months. Win another SB--or even lose another SB--and that tune will change. Eventually he's going to get the aches and pains, and start to wonder why he's still doing it. If he'd won the two Giant SBs he'd have five rings, the undisputed spot at the top of the NFL QB heap, and little reason to continue. But, hey, who knows. As I said, he's a wicked sore loser (supposedly if he loses at a board game in the locker room he gets pissed, LOL) so maybe he will play as long as he can, just 'cause he likes winning.

It's certainly possible that he could change his mind. I'm just taking him at his word as of right now. You know... the way we all took Favrah at his word when he retired. The first time I mean. Heh.

Backwards Masking
08-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Frankly, if they'd won at least one of the two against the New York Elis, I'm not even sure he'd be playing right now

true winners don't quit at the top when they're in the primes of their careers. that's just chickenshit/Michael Jordan

Buck
08-06-2012, 03:41 PM
I hope he does. It'll be a sad day when he retires.

08-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Question is, will he ever get another ring?

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Cannot fucking wait to get Brady in red.

Yep, forget any chance of a first-round pick at QB cuz you KNOW it's coming.

Amnorix
08-07-2012, 02:51 PM
well he hasn't shown any signs of slowing down at all. Give that man a running back and they will win the big one again. As much as their defense has sucked last year, it's amazing they made it to the Superbowl. But Tom Brady probably is THE best QB of all time and that's hard for me to say because I've always been stuck with Joe Montana being the best. They probably about even.

If Ridley doesn't put it on the ground (he had some issues last year), he represents a MAJOR increased threat in terms of explosiveness over BJGE (who I love, but let's face it, he was a plodder).

If Ridley can be as good as he seems, Lloyd works out as expected (he's having a great camp) and everyone stays healthy (always an issue), then the Patriots offense could be operating at near 2007 levels...

Oh, and Mankins comes back from surgery as 80+% of what he was and Waters doesn't retire (I don't think he will, but we'll see).

So yeah, alot of ifs, but I think some of those are 90+% likelihood of happening (Mankins return, Waters not retiring, Lloyd being what he is, etc.)

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-07-2012, 02:54 PM

He will NOT be the GOAT.

Amnorix
08-07-2012, 03:27 PM
He will NOT be the GOAT.

Kind of silly to say, at this point, actually. Let's assume five years of 3,500+ yards, 30+ TDs and one more win in a SB, all definitely achievable.

Who you gonna have rated higher at that point?

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Kind of silly to say, at this point, actually. Let's assume five years of 3,500+ yards, 30+ TDs and one more win in a SB, all definitely achievable.

Who you gonna have rated higher at that point?

Sir, it's prediction and nothing more.

Amnorix
08-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Sir, it's prediction and nothing more.

Ah ok.

Only time will tell. The bar is ever-climbing for QBs anyway. Aaron Rodgers lifetime QB rating is over 100. :-O

WhiteWhale
08-07-2012, 10:32 PM
true winners don't quit at the top when they're in the primes of their careers. that's just chickenshit/Michael Jordan

I think it's safe to say Jordan's retirement and the gambling accusations were related. I doubt it was even Jordan's decision.

Jordan was THE posterchild of a sport like none since the Babe. The NBA pretty much marketed him as the best ever from his 2nd season and changed rules to HELP him dominate. The last thing they wanted was their biggest star and most marketable player in history to have a tarnished legacy.

Rausch
08-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Thanks to KC having a football team he's got a legit shot...

JD10367
08-08-2012, 12:48 AM

Yeah, well, fuck you. /BarrySanders :D

TimeForWasp
08-08-2012, 12:49 AM

I was just gonna say, I'll bet he never wins another.

08-08-2012, 12:53 AM

WEll, if he ends up in KC at some point. I hope you are wrong.:D

JD10367
08-08-2012, 12:54 AM

The offense this year could be the best yet. Adding Lloyd and bringing back Gaffney and Stallworth are huge additions. Ridley/Vereen will be better than BJGE. Welker is still there, as are the unholy duo of Gronk and AHern. The defense should be much improved with the addition of rookies Hightower and Jones and a healthier Ras-I Dowling. The only wrinkle in the whole thing is that O-line; if they can keep Brady's uniform clean, this offense could be even better than the 2007 version. There's no reason to think they can't get back to the SB within the next 5 years and, if they can avoid facing the frigging Eli-led Giants, win one.

08-08-2012, 12:57 AM
The offense this year could be the best yet. Adding Lloyd and bringing back Gaffney and Stallworth are huge additions. Ridley/Vereen will be better than BJGE. Welker is still there, as are the unholy duo of Gronk and AHern. The defense should be much improved with the addition of rookies Hightower and Jones and a healthier Ras-I Dowling. The only wrinkle in the whole thing is that O-line; if they can keep Brady's uniform clean, this offense could be even better than the 2007 version. There's no reason to think they can't get back to the SB within the next 5 years and, if they can avoid facing the frigging Eli-led Giants, win one.

Kryptonite :D

JD10367
08-08-2012, 01:03 AM
Kryptonite :D

Tell me about it. What really pisses me off is that Belichick is supposed to be the Best Coach Ever, and Brady is supposed to be the Best QB Ever, and yet four fucking years after "18-1" they play the same fucking team and lose in the same fucking manner. Coughlin and Eli must laugh their asses off every time they look at their two rings.

Amnorix
08-08-2012, 06:28 AM
Tell me about it. What really pisses me off is that Belichick is supposed to be the Best Coach Ever, and Brady is supposed to be the Best QB Ever, and yet four fucking years after "18-1" they play the same fucking team and lose in the same fucking manner. Coughlin and Eli must laugh their asses off every time they look at their two rings.

Tyree catch. Brady/Welker don't connect. Gronk ankle. Shit happens.